Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Ukrainian President of Vladimir Zelenski said two Chinese nationals fighting in the Russian Army have been taken prisoner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, usually it was North Koreans. Now it's Chinese that they're fighting. I mean, these two denied they were Chinese, and then it was well, then.
Speaker 1: What are you doing with egg rolls in your pocket? Couldn't deny that? And now handle on the news, ladies and gentlemen, here's Bill Handle. Good morning everybody, Bill Handle here. Oh yes, it's now a Thursday, April tenth.
Speaker 3: And do you remember when I said that as soon as President Trump was elected, we were in for.
Speaker 1: A roller coaster ride? Yeah? Was I understating that?
Speaker 2: One?
Speaker 1: Huh? All right, quick hello to one and all.
Speaker 2: Neil, good morning, Hey, Willie Wolf, good morning.
Speaker 3: Yes, and Amy morning to you, good morning, and will good morning, Good morning, sir, and a good.
Speaker 1: Morning, Good morning Bill. I don't know why I even do this, all right, Cono, good morning, good morning. I can't I can't see you on the zoom. I know our my zoom is out.
Speaker 3: I've got I don't want to say anything negative about any particular provider of internet, Cox Cable. But I've been having some problems with my Zoom and Internet.
Speaker 1: It's sporadic.
Speaker 3: So I'm switching over to a famous name brand, the Abraham Lincoln brand of Internet providers.
Speaker 1: See that's a famous name brand. You get that. Hmm Okay, I'm still to deep.
Speaker 2: You're the only one I know that has these problems. By the way, I know, I don't get it. I don't get it, and I have so much going on on my setup here. You have no idea I've got it.
Speaker 3: I don't get it. I and I have and I have two static ISP lines or USP or PTSD lines or whatever.
Speaker 2: The hell it can be.
Speaker 1: Yes, STD lines. Well, I've had that for a very long time.
Speaker 3: But it's switching over to fiber optics because this is driving me nuts, and it's sporadic.
Speaker 1: It comes in and out. Man, just so much fun I bitching and moaning about something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh, let me Okay, here's a thank you to a company that has actually come in and saved my ass. I had some problems with my charger for my EV at home. Well, because of all kinds of complex of these that had to do with my community.
Speaker 1: We had all kinds of issues.
Speaker 3: Leviton, you know, the people that make those smart switches and smart homes.
Speaker 1: Leveton. They came in and sit saved my ass.
Speaker 2: Wait Levitton, Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And I didn't know they were involved in home chargers, but through a friend of a friend, I got hold of them and they said, yeah, yeah, we can help you, and they literally saved my ass. I should call them to see if they can do something with my internet striving me completely nuts. I can't see you guys. Well that's not necessarily bad, but I can Yeah.
Speaker 1: I can't. Yeah, I can't see you guys. It's really Uh.
Speaker 4: We looked good today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got the good looking group. We don't need you.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I don't know where I'd go with that one.
Speaker 3: I was thinking of several responses to that, none of it, none of which would keep us on the air through the weekend.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's let's just do it, guys.
Speaker 3: There's so much to talk about today, and it's it's exhausting as to what's going on. You talk about ups and downs and the markets roiling, and I mean just craziness going on.
Speaker 1: So let's start it.
Speaker 3: Handle on the news with Amy Neil and me lead story. Okay, the tariffs that we're going to go into effect and did go into effect immediately, that we're not going to be pulled back, were pulled back. And now the President literally hours after invoking many of these tariffs turned around and said, now I got a whole withhold for ninety days. Let's relax for a bit except China. I was about to say that China, they are ratcheting up China. So now China's at one hundred and twenty five percent tariffs yesterday, And what time did we we have a Savile on when we talked about our business, Because that's that's worth am seven am. That's worth going back on demand and listening to that segment because this is a business that Savill and I have and we import cookware from China using stainless steel.
Speaker 1: It's stainless steel cookware.
Speaker 3: He was we were going through the numbers every day. I talked to Savile and just we're spinning the tariffs. As of yesterday, we're one hundred and eighty four percent. So for every one hundred dollars that we buy of product, we have to spend another one hundred and eighty four dollars for one hundred dollars. So we're at two hundred and eighty four dollars for products that cost one hundred dollars, And man, what do you do with it? You know, it's there are people that are just going to be out of business. There's a really good friend of Lindsay, she's known since high school, and he's involved in the chip world where his company brings in chips and sells them after market on the resale market. He says, they're out of business. Basically, yeah, they're What do you do? I mean, it's crazy. So anyway, we've come back. We the world economy has come back. So after three days of hemorrhaging in the markets, yesterday, the market, after the announcement that well, we're gonna hold off ninety days or Trump's gonna hold off ninety days, the market then explodes and it gains almost three thousand points. I mean, it's just this is nuts. And now everybody's sitting back. Okay, when does the next go round happen?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 5: Probably today because the down futures are down six hundred and fifty per.
Speaker 1: Of course, why not? Sure? Why not?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Now they're only down five hundred and seventy.
Speaker 1: I feel better.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, Oh it's my turn, is m okay to change his cash. Bettel is out as the acting director of the ATF. You may recall that he is the FBI director and he's a close personal ally of President Trumps. He was sworn in as the ATF's acting director in late February, but now he's been replaced. US Army Secretary Daniel driscoll is taking over. The Justice Department is confirming that, but they're not saying why.
Speaker 3: And now we know that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives will now once again take credit cards.
Speaker 5: Oh cash, okay, I get it now, thank.
Speaker 1: You, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: A little bit of a take me a minute, A little bit of a stretch, a little bit by okay.
Speaker 2: A Delaware judge ruled that Newsmas defamed Dominion voting systems by falsely accusing the company of ringing the twenty twenty president presidential election. However, at this point it's going to be up to a jury. They're going to have to decide whether Newsmas intentionally smeared Dominion with actual malice. You understand all this big stuff hand and must pay millions of dollars in damages.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Malice, by the way, is not I want to get the guy because I hate him. It's knowing that the statement you're making is false.
Speaker 1: That's one.
Speaker 3: Or it's so false you should have known that the statement was false in this case, pointing out that Dominion voting machines were rigged, and they were rigged in favor of Joe Biden and Trump votes were in fact registered as Biden votes over and over again, and they at some point in December of twenty twenty, they said, we ran a clarification segment and we posted an article online that we didn't have the evidence that Dominion manipulated any votes relative to the months of day in and day out and the constant statements the vote was rigged, Dominion rig the votes.
Speaker 1: So now it's up to a jury.
Speaker 2: Fox, that character, that SNL character that would after saying everything on the news go oh never mind.
Speaker 1: Oh yes that's right, Yeah, yeah, what's their face?
Speaker 3: Gilda Road, Yeah, Gilda.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I remember talking about In any.
Speaker 3: Case, Uh, Fox as a matter of fact, had to settle for almost eight hundred almost a billion dollars when uh, when it.
Speaker 1: Said that dominion rigged the votes.
Speaker 3: Also, now I don't know whether or not Newsmax is probably going to settle for something, but I don't know if they have anywhere near that kind of money.
Speaker 5: Oh, this is not happy news at all, but a rescue has now become recovery. In the Dominican Republic, of course, the roof of an iconic nightclub collapsed and the death toll is now up at least at two hundred and thirteen people. At least three hundred people were inside the jet Set nightclub early Tuesday morning when the roof came down during a performance of merengue artist Ruby Perez. He's one of the people who were killed, along with a couple of Major League Baseball players. A former Dodger pitcher, Octavio dettel Or Dotel, was one of the two killed. They say that emergency responders have ended their rescue efforts and it's now a recovery effort, so they're not expecting to find anybody else.
Speaker 3: This is absolutely brutal. There are actually more people killed than injured. Yeah, and that you never see well and.
Speaker 4: Where there storms. What happened in the roof just collapse.
Speaker 3: Just collapsed, and it collapsed at exactly the wrong time. It was it collapsed when the place was jammed, that it could have collapsed any other time.
Speaker 1: So it's horrific. Horrific luck.
Speaker 3: Or mind you think there's gonna be an investigation or two as to the structure of the building.
Speaker 2: I would imagine. Yeah. The twenty twenty eight Olympics will be the first to feature more women than men, the International Olympics Committee announced just yesterday after approving the metal events and athletes quota for them, citing high ticket demand for women's events in Paris, broadcast numbers that are equal to or higher than men's sports, increased media coverage, and greater international investment in women's sports. So they said, this first female majority Olympics is a complete package.
Speaker 1: Also new events that have men who have become women.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that may be why it's there's more women in this one.
Speaker 3: Why, That's what I'm thinking, and more interest.
Speaker 5: Interest if eventually they do add like a trans category, you.
Speaker 1: Know what they might.
Speaker 3: When you think about it, that is actually not that crazy because physiology is different. Those people that argue, you know, I'm in favor of obviously the trans community, I don't care.
Speaker 1: Uh, you know, it's then of my business.
Speaker 3: But if you're if my kid, for example, was competing and my daughters were competing, and we're competing against someone who was a man now became a woman, well, you know, the physiology is different. The muscle mass, even though that could be changed as different, the skeletal mass is different, which is why men are always faster than women. You know when you look at what happens with you know, the various races and the games. I mean, women can't jump as high as men, nor can white guys when it comes to you know, white men can't jump either.
Speaker 1: But that's a different issue.
Speaker 3: Okay, why don't we move on because I think I'm about to get in trouble?
Speaker 1: Wasn't I good idea?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Okay, you can add trash to the list of things that cost more pretty soon. The La City Council has moved forward with a proposal. It's not a done deal yet, but it would increase trash collection fees the first time in seventeen years.
Speaker 4: They've raised fees, by the way, by fifty four percent.
Speaker 1: Charge. No, don't they charge per can.
Speaker 4: I don't trash?
Speaker 3: Been?
Speaker 2: Well? It will fee or something?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well they do.
Speaker 3: In my in my area where there's the a charge for regular trash and for the recycled bin and for the bin that it collects the tremin et the Yeah. Yeah, and we're about to get we're ordering more of the recycle because Lindsay goes crazy and we get packages from Amazon all day long. So we need a bigger bin or more bins on the recycled part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's really our case.
Speaker 4: Pardon you're being good to the environment?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's one you know what that Actually, that's one of the things I'm fanatic about. Usually I don't give a rats, but on the recycled part of the world, I'm pretty careful about that.
Speaker 2: We need to get better at that. There's too much, way, too much word.
Speaker 5: The problem is, though, that we got better when everybody said recycle and we started recycling like crazy, and then they went, eh, we can't do.
Speaker 3: That well because because at the recycle point they're not recycling. For example, we have recycle bins all over the station, right and you you know those blue bins or you put paper in there. I think it goes in the same place as the trash does.
Speaker 2: But is isn't it? Singapore that has no like they have a complete system where there is no waste.
Speaker 3: Well, trash is illegal in Singapore. They turn you're not allowed trying to turn.
Speaker 2: The plastic into roads and building bricks and do it. I mean their system is in Saye, you know, if we're going to charge more, I would like to see that the people that are actually driving the trucks and picking up trash get more and not just go to the bottom live of the government.
Speaker 5: They do pretty well, and they're increasing these fees. They're saying specifically because of the billion dollar deficit they're trying to generate small.
Speaker 3: Yah, big deficit with the trash.
Speaker 2: House. Republican leaders just yesterday scrapped plans to vote on the Senate's framework to advance key parts of President Trump's legislative agenda. So kind of a setback. That came in the face of opposition from hardline conservatives. So you've got a lot going on. The delay marks a blow to not only Speaker Johnson who pushed forward that, you know, kind of do this all speedy and get this pushed through. But obviously it's a it's a blow to President Trump. Maybe not here's why step as you think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, here's why what's going on, Because at one point during the Biden years and during the Democratic years, you had Republicans, particularly a hard right Republicans, screaming about the deficit every year, saying you cannot spend more money than comes in. They were deficit hawks. Trump comes in, that disappears completely. There's no such thing as a deficit hawk anymore in the Republican party.
Speaker 1: We're looking at two trillion dollars.
Speaker 3: Deficit every year now under Trump, and you have a few Republicans that are saying, Okay, that's it.
Speaker 1: We can't take it anymore. We're finished.
Speaker 3: We cannot sustain this kind of deficit and this kind of negative, negative economic well philosophy. I guess in this country, you cannot keep on spending half of your budget. Every year you make one hundred thousand dollars, you spend one hundred and fifty thousand dollars, so you borrow it next year, one hundred and fifty thousand dollars, next year, two hundred thousand dollars on your hundred thousand dollars income. That's what the United States is doing. And they're finally saying we're done, that's enough of that and Trump wants more tax cuts and the deficit is going to grow. Remember when he came into office, he was bitching and moaning about what.
Speaker 1: Obama did.
Speaker 3: That Obama hit a twenty trillion dollar national debt. It's now at thirty six trillion dollars and it doesn't matter. Let's just keep on borrowing until the cows come home, very expensive cows, wagu beef cows.
Speaker 2: Where were those cows going? How come they need to come home?
Speaker 1: Well, they were going to. I don't you know what.
Speaker 3: I can't think of a good answer without being completely crude.
Speaker 1: Let's just move on.
Speaker 2: That should be a drop.
Speaker 1: That should you know, you're right?
Speaker 5: That should okay, sweeping a mistake under the rug. The Justice Department says it's going to drop charges against a man they had alleged to be a major leader of MS thirteen. His lawyer says it's the first step toward immediately deporting him to El Salvador. Attorney General Pambondi said last month that Henry via Toros Santos was an MS thirteen leader on the East Coast. He was horrible, violent, one of the worst of the worst criminals. But now the Justice Department without explanation, is dismissing the single federal charge he faced for unlawfully having a weapon. The government, she said, or prosecute said, no longer wishes to pursue the instant prosecution at this time.
Speaker 3: Now keep in mind this one is the government is dropping the charges, why so they can deport him. His attorney is saying, no, no, keep the charges alive against my client, so he can't be deported. So he's in the United States for trial. Because once he's deported, he ends up in that Nicaraguin prison, which is far worse than standing trial. It's a complete reversal of what normally happens. Yeah, it's fascinating. It's just fascinating what's going on. By the way, all of this under the Aliens Edition Act, which the Supreme Court said Trump is allowed to do it. There are four parts of the Aliens Edition Act, one of which says that a president can declare an emergency and then habeas corpus disappears. He can do whatever the hell he wants, throw people out of the country. And it's been used three times in the history of the United States, during Washington and during World War One and World War II. The Japanese when they were interred in the internment camps here in California, Arizona, etc. Under the Aliens Edition Act. That is how the president was able to put these people without trial, without hearings, into internment camps. This is the fourth go round. It's never been done in peacetime. And Trump did it by declaring basically, we've been invaded, by declaring a national emergency, effectively saying we're at war. Never been done before. You think there's new stuff with this president, You think, all right.
Speaker 2: Avlo Airlines an ultra low cost carrier, a major hub just out here at the Hollywood Burbank Bob Hope Airport. I'm an old school guy. That way has reached an agreement with the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement ICE on a multi year deal to provide the agency with charter flights to assist with the deportation efforts. Then is is people have to not bathe, they have to take off their shoes, and of course pay extra for luggage.
Speaker 3: Yes, of course, because illegal aliens were being deported have so much luggage, and they fight for the emergency row uh the seats and pay extra money for that. By the way, there have been charters before. The US government charters airplanes when the soldiers were returning from Vietnam War, for example, the major the vast majority were on chartered planes. But this one is just for deporting illegals, and the numbers are going to get huge under the new.
Speaker 1: Policy to make the most airlines.
Speaker 3: You have. You'd rather wouldn't you rather be in a Nicaraguan prison than on Avalo airlines?
Speaker 5: No, Avella is actually nice. Or they fly to like non major hubs. So from Burbank they fly to my hometown of Medford direct, which almost nobody else does. Or they fly to Vegas, or they're flight to Renos, so they're low costs, but they do have a lot of fees.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what they're going to do. It's going to look like India Bill. They're going to get their money's worth. They're going to have people sitting on the wings on the top of the plane.
Speaker 4: Do they get seatbelts on the wings?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: Be fun to watch, all right.
Speaker 5: Amy expanding plans moving forward but not done yet. A plan to renovate the Convention Center back who was directed back in the nineteen seventies. Moving forward, La City Council has agreed to spend almost twenty eight million dollars for design and technical work. Now, that doesn't authorize the massive renovation, but it apparently shows that the council is behind the idea. A final a vote is expected in July, when the project costs are more clear and a city agreement is finalized.
Speaker 4: So the plan, yeah, they'll do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, The plan is to start construction by the end of this year and then finish in twenty twenty nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean though, I mean they were going to do it.
Speaker 3: The problem with the La conventions and her who does it compete with Anaheim because of Disneyland and knots where people love to go and the number one convention hub on the planet and that well at least in the United States, is Las Vegas.
Speaker 1: How do you compete with Las Vegas? You don't?
Speaker 2: All right? This is a weird ass story. Woman was shot in Eagle Rock in like her neighbor's yard or something after a man hunt for a hit and run suspect. And it happens to be Jillian Shriner, who she's an author, but she's the wife of Weezer bass player Scott Shriner, who's playing at Coachella this weekend, or was supposed to. We'll see what happens.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she came out.
Speaker 5: It is strange she came out of the house with a gun because there was a guy who had run off from a hit and run and then he came into her backyard, stripped down to his underwear and started watering plants. It was really bizarre, And then she came out with a gun. Cops said put it down, she refused. They ended up shooting her in the show.
Speaker 3: First of all, yeah, the guy did his underwear watering, so people would think that he owned the house and that was part of what he does. But as far as she's concerned, I have no problem with the fact that she had a weapon.
Speaker 1: Uh, you know, she's for whatever. Maybe she thought I got to put it down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when the cops show up and draw and show up with weapons and say drop the gun, do you in your right mind do anything other than drop the gun? Put your hands in the air and say, have you ever heard of my husband's cover of Africa? It's the best damn thing you've ever heard?
Speaker 2: Was that an actual pop culture reference?
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 3: One of my favorite songs, by the way, Wow and have you And the cover sounds exactly the same as Toto.
Speaker 1: I can't tell the difference.
Speaker 3: Who would have known when you do a cover, this sounds the same as the original song.
Speaker 1: What do you do with that? And the answer is yes, it was a pop reference.
Speaker 2: I'm so proud I instuted you like like Rex the Wonder Horse. I'm just a gate.
Speaker 1: Okay, we are done with the news. Let's do that.
Speaker 3: Kf I am six. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch my show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.