Speaker 1: Fed up with the every day grind, tired out from the summer heat, want to get away from it all.
Speaker 2: We offer you escape, escape designed to free you from the four walls of to day for a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 1: You are clinging precariously to a diving, pitching longboat lashed by mountainous seas in the middle of a hurricane, and at the helm driving you on is a man bent on revenge and willing to kill for it.
Speaker 2: To night we escape to the open sea with an ancient tramp steamer and its fighting captain, as that far Buckley told it in his ironic story happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, the court has no more questions.
Speaker 4: Step down, please, no, thank you, sir, I mean your honor.
Speaker 3: Well, Captain Weatherfield, you've just had the complaining witness. Have you anything to say in your own defense?
Speaker 4: Here hit the man about a bit, No doubt that, Joanna like, with half chance, they'd have founded his blasted hit off, quiet riot, We have more than the court. Then you admit the charges, Captain Weatherfield. Then I hit him, Yeah, but had stinuit in circumstances, Janna see, and what were they? He laughed at my ship at the Wakeling, your honor, this fineer freighter has ever steamed out of here on the Liverpool Run. Don't quite stood there on the wharf, squint eyed son of a landloved lawyer. He said, my ship looked like an old woman with her dress on backwards, her hair not combed. That's when I flighten him out. Yes, and I still say that's what she looks like.
Speaker 5: God, why you confounded, Pip squeak. I'll break your heart. Send him down. Captain weather will not.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, Come huy. The card that happen Weatherfield can't turn Weatherfield.
Speaker 3: This court finds you guilty of assault and battery is charged and sentences you to seven days.
Speaker 4: In the now Bristol City jail. All right, Bill, knock him up.
Speaker 6: And that's the way it started, with the captain getting seven days in the new Bristol jail. But it went a whole lot further before it was over. It was like a bolt of chain lightning that may take a dozen strange turns of more before it finally strikes home. And actually, of course the Wakeland was a funny looking old scowl. She'd had thirty years in the North Atlantic, with never a part being replaced, so long as there was some way of patching it up. Yeah, she was a regular joke of a ship, as to everybody except Captain Weatherfield. Those of us who were officers to board her had learned a long time before not to hint anything like that to him. Now she was the Queen Mary and the Normandy and his first born child all rolled up into one. So you can bet your life we all kept sober faces when the captain finally came aboard at the end of the week.
Speaker 4: Mister Conley, Yes, sir, well everything in order, will we be able to sail in an hour?
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, I've been keeping her ready for the last four days just in case.
Speaker 4: I'm fully aware that we're four days past schedule, and the reason for it will not be discussed on board. Is that clear? Yes, captain been badly treated in this town, mister Conley, thrown behind bars like some feline docret. I don't feel good about it. If it takes me the rest of my life, I'm going to even up the score. Do you understand that?
Speaker 6: I think so?
Speaker 4: You think so, sir? Yes, sir, all right, then button up your color and go get up ahead of steam.
Speaker 6: So three days later, we were plowing through a heavy C five hundred and eighty miles out on the Atlantic. The spray was freezing the rigging. We were flirting with the fringe of a northeast hurricane.
Speaker 4: Blast this double blasted confounded wind. It's Connley. Well how's she looking, mister Connley?
Speaker 6: Oh, not so bad. We're taking the season our quarter, and so far we're making only about four inches of water an hour.
Speaker 4: Four inches of water an hour, sir, yes, sir, good. Then we'll take a chance on it.
Speaker 6: We'll take a chance on what, sir.
Speaker 4: And distress message just picking up the wireless sheck. Yeah, take a look.
Speaker 6: The freighter Johannes out of New Bristol, main shaft, broken auxiliaries, out of commission ship and water fires latitude forty six thirty longit two let me see, Yeah, about ninety mile from a snob in the west.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right, miss Conley. Layout the course. What we should sight her sometime around dawn if we hold a full speed all night.
Speaker 6: Full speed, get into what hurricane wait clenan fall apart in two hours.
Speaker 4: I doubt it. She's a good ship. Layout the cost.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but that Johannes is right in the main ship in lane. Somebody else has bound to pick her up before morning. Anyway, mister Connolly, we can hope not. What do you mean hope not?
Speaker 4: Evidently you didn't notice her, registrate, mister Connolly, she's out of New Bristol.
Speaker 7: Oh what of it?
Speaker 4: That, as you may recall, is the town that threw me into jail, got all the papers like as not. My daughters up in Maine have probably read about it. For now, I'll not have them thinking their father's a man who does nothing but go round punching people in the noggin.
Speaker 6: All right, but what's it got to do with this?
Speaker 4: I'm going to be alongside the Johannes before anybody else is, mister Connolly. I'm going to rescue every man about her. Then I'm going to take him back to New Bristol and get a public apology out of that. Now, see the death gets in the papers too.
Speaker 6: I've never heard of anything so crazy.
Speaker 4: You've never heard of, mister Conley. Lay out that costs now before I get mad decide to punch somebody's dusted head off.
Speaker 6: Well, the little cock of the walk made good the first part of his plan, all right, in spite of a broken steam injector that had to be patched up with rigging wire. By shortly after dawn, he had us hove to half cable length off from the Johannes. She was down by the stern and distant, badly but still afloat. The wind was howling like a banshee, and the flying spume was freezing all over our decks. There was no doubt that what the next part of our job is going to be a lot tougher than the first time. He counley the boat two together, Yes, sir, there'll be five seamen and the third mate, I'll take charge myself.
Speaker 4: Lay the third made of bard, I'll take charge percent It's my show. I'm going to run it.
Speaker 6: All right, Champion, whatever you're saying, Well, what's holding this up?
Speaker 4: Let's get this boat over his side. Not the captain Carvin is trying to break a.
Speaker 5: Loose Well, he's not cracking walnuts at the tea paty hair chips. Give me that mellet, mister Rowitts, Yes, sir, you'll stay on one.
Speaker 4: But oil sleep.
Speaker 8: Running waves on that pretty high, pretty high I haven't seen him anyhow well, I can't help it.
Speaker 4: Mister Cunnley, I've got.
Speaker 7: All ready well right there away.
Speaker 6: Or the seven of us who went overside in the long boat. That command was the beginning of a nightmare. If things had been bad up on the Wakeland's deck, there were a hundred times worse down there in the very midst of that smash, in that tumbling mail stream of water and wind, a continuous driving spray was torn from the wave crests and froze solid on the gunwales and the boat seats and on our faces. One man baled constantly, while the others pulled away on the oars with breeding hands. And even then we were never far from foundering. Captain Weatherfield sat in the stern and shouted orders. None of us could hear, but we could see his face, and that was enough to keep us at it. With a halo of sheet glass round his souester and his gray beard turned to a frozen mass of jumbled icicles. He looked like Neptune come to life, or maybe even more like like the devil himself. It took us over two hours before we finally hauled in against the rusty side of the battle. Old Johannes h.
Speaker 5: H the deck Hi, here's what.
Speaker 4: You'll have to jump for.
Speaker 7: It.
Speaker 4: Can't use the letter she he's too heavy, understand.
Speaker 7: All ready here.
Speaker 4: Wait till we come up.
Speaker 5: But as swell we hold as steady as we can, and whine, no, not yet, lord.
Speaker 4: He fell on the gun lastic fool told him to eat.
Speaker 6: He smashed in his chest. Why it's the captain of the ship that.
Speaker 4: He had no business jump in fast anyhow?
Speaker 5: Hol him aboard, mister candy, get him right away, all right, ready.
Speaker 9: On deck, my eyes, all right there, steady.
Speaker 5: Now, God, I'm gonna stole that man af there on deck.
Speaker 4: Wait well wait, wait.
Speaker 5: Now, conny a plastic feet, fire hand you are there, jump down wait you ben helped him off. There it comes another catch him, catch him good back horse shoes sad by four and a half night there tack comes to another one, honors toady, keep one or against the side there anybody else up there with his gutro.
Speaker 4: No, sir, others have lost overboard last night. All right, then back off yours. You have plan of get ahold of that order. He can't do it very well with with only one arm, captain, cutting you mean one arm?
Speaker 6: He broke his arm a couple of minutes ago when we bumped the side and give.
Speaker 4: Him a bucket. Least he can bail. All right, let's go.
Speaker 6: It was six hours before we finally got back aboard the Wakeland, but we did get back, and I doubt if any of them but Captain Weatherfield could have done it. True enough, he fainted across the engine room hatch once we were on board. But I don't forget. He was seventy two years old. He'd taken a crew of six out in an open boat in the high seas in the middle of a hurricane, rescued six more men off a sinking ship, and brought the whole twelve back alive. Well one of them, of course, was only barely alive, and that was Captain Miller of the Johannes. He was still unconscious. I had him put in a bunk and hoped for the best, and then I turned in to grab a few hours sleep. I guess it was some time after midnight when the third mate called me. I got dressed, went down, woke up the captain.
Speaker 4: Confounded mister Conley, Ugh didn't get the man. He close his eyes, bought this ship that somebody roused him out of his bunk.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, captain, thought you ought to know. Miller's conscious now and wants to see you. He thinks he is he's.
Speaker 4: Dying, dying, is it? I'll see about that. Where's my pants? Here?
Speaker 6: You are, sir, I thank you?
Speaker 4: Yah.
Speaker 6: It might be a good thing if Miller did die, According to his first mate, Larson Well, Larson says they had plenty of warning this storm, but Miller drove straight on into it. He was racing for port.
Speaker 4: Or racing for port. Yeah, bad business.
Speaker 6: There'll be an inquiry on it. He'll lose his ticket when they find out.
Speaker 4: It's also bad business, mister Connley. When first mates talk out of turn, come on, where is he?
Speaker 6: I put him in the cabin off the wardroom and the third mates in there with him.
Speaker 4: Now, how is the ship heading New South?
Speaker 6: We're running before the wind. Can't do anything else.
Speaker 4: I told you, mister Connley. It costs for New Bristol pie.
Speaker 6: No, but we can't do it. The main boilers out and we're on the auxiliaries. May take two days to fix it.
Speaker 4: Con found in the luck risk my life to rescue a man tries to die on me. Now that bone hit engineers let the main boiler break down.
Speaker 6: That's not his fault. It should have been replaced five years ago.
Speaker 4: Five years ago. What's wister Connley?
Speaker 6: Five years ago?
Speaker 4: Sir? Good here we are? Oh mad to got to here?
Speaker 5: Sir?
Speaker 4: I was getting worried. It's all right, mister Roberts. Yes, stand back a bit to hold the night up. Yes there, that's fine, evening, Captain Miller, even captain, ye're in seven pain night ticket. Yeah, there's a something sharp sticking at my chest getting worse. H something sharp eye, No doubt they broken in the rib poking into your lungs. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I guess. Hey, he feels like there's a rib gun here.
Speaker 10: Oh eh, well, I want to make this statement.
Speaker 4: The log I do figure you're getting ready to die? Is that it? Yeah? Not much chance? Shouldn't I shouldn't have jump first, No, he shouldn't have understand you was racing for pot, drove straight into the star. Yeah ahead.
Speaker 10: It's my wife, her first baby, wanted to be with her.
Speaker 6: What's he saying to her?
Speaker 4: His wife's thinking of having a baby. Rabbish statement.
Speaker 10: Responsibility.
Speaker 4: We'll discuss that leader keptain. That lung gets a hole punched in it. You're done for.
Speaker 6: He's practically done for now, you know.
Speaker 4: Mister Conley saw a doctor open up a man once, take a broken rib bottle. I can remember fairly well how he went about it, and there ought to be some CHLOROFYB on board.
Speaker 6: Captain Weathers.
Speaker 4: You shut up, mister Connley. Captain Miller, it's one chance, Nmidian, but you've got no chance. Now, how about it?
Speaker 10: Eh, anything doesn't matter, be an inquiry report. Better to die where.
Speaker 4: We'll worry about that later. All right, then go find that chlorophy, mister Roberts, yes, sir, and bring me a bar of soap. Yes, And get a couple of their little dives whatever they call them, out of the medicine locker. Yes, mister Connley, go wake up that first fate of his. Get him in here. We'll need a witness to Captain Miller's consent, and mister Connley find chips and borrow's chest of tools. Never can tell what you'll find whence you start to open a man up.
Speaker 6: In ten minutes, we have everything ready. Larson signed a statement swearing that Captain Miller had agreed to him and the third mate with his face white as a sheet. Stood at the head of the bunk, ripping chloroform under a towel and holding it over Miller's nose and mouth. I held a light in one hand and kept the other on the patient's pulse while Captain Weatherfield rolled up his sleeves and started in on a major operation that he thought he'd seen some doctor perform.
Speaker 4: Once everything snugging brober Has he seemed to be getting along, mister Connolly, I don't know.
Speaker 6: He's still breathing.
Speaker 4: No, he's breathing, man his chest, I am operating on. How's his pulse?
Speaker 7: Pretty weak?
Speaker 6: No worse than it was?
Speaker 4: Hm. Keep that chloroform dripping, mister Roberts, Yes, sir, where there's no time like the prison. Oh all that like steady, mister Conley, sir, steady yourself. Now let me see I think that doctor did it like like this. M m I've used up half the chlorophorm captain. He'd been dripping Roberts. Mm. Well, well now don't remember anything like that being in there. See now, pulses getting pretty weak, mister Connley. Don't bother me, got more important things here to think about. Mm hm, that's it. Here's the end. Of the rabar right now, if I can, uh, just that's all right, let it go. Don't need the knife anymore, con Founded, Conley, give me a little more room to work in Kevin small enough stairs.
Speaker 6: Captain, his pulse is stopped.
Speaker 4: No it hasn't, mister Connley. Now, now where the devil? Doesn't that rid come loose?
Speaker 6: When I HiT's no use, Captain, he's dead. His heart stopped beating.
Speaker 4: Mister Connley, don't stand there. Try to tell me his heart stopped when I can see it beating right now, mister Larson Er, yes, sir, Would you look at that tool chest behind you? See if you can find me a pair of pliers.
Speaker 6: I doubt if there's ever been another operation like it before or since. By all rights, Captain Miller should have died ten times over right there on the bunk.
Speaker 7: Only he didn't.
Speaker 6: He was unconscious for forty eight hours. But on the fifth day he was sitting up on a deck chair and cuss him because somebody had slung his broken rib overboard instead of saving it so he could whittle out a letter opener. We were driven six hundred miles to the south before the storm blew itself out and we got the main boiler back into operation and could lay a course for New Bristol and three days away from port. Captain Weatherfield called all of us officers of the Wakeland together in the chart room, along with first mate Larson of the Johannes.
Speaker 4: Gentlemen, there may be some questions in your minds in regard to what this meeting is all about. No doubt you're wondering, even if you aren't asking. Am I right? Well, yes, sir, we have been trying to guess. Then I'll tell you, gentlemen. I called this meeting to put a stop to certain idle rumors which I hear have been floated around.
Speaker 6: Just what kind of rumors, Captain Weatherfield.
Speaker 4: Limb which says that Captain Miller of Lateship Johannes deliberately drove hidden into a storm while racing to make port.
Speaker 7: Eh, there's no luman about that. It's what he was doing as his first mate.
Speaker 4: I should know, and I say he wasn't, mister Lasson the way, I think it got caught by the storm without any wanting. He gave orders for full speed to try to beat out of it. A couple of hours later, mainshaft broke left him helpless without stirageway. Could happen to anybody?
Speaker 7: Maybe only it didn't. I was there, Captain Weatherfield. I know what happened, and there's five of my crew left to back me up.
Speaker 4: They'll pack up anything you say, mister Larson.
Speaker 7: You know that, and there's nothing to talk about when the Board of Inquiry gets through with Miller. He won't command another ship as long as he lives.
Speaker 4: So there's not going to be any board of inquiry.
Speaker 7: Ah, maybe that's not up to you.
Speaker 4: Which is what we're here to decide.
Speaker 6: I don't get it. Captain Miller's a rat. He was the first one to jump when we come alongside. Anything that happens to him serves him right now, Why should you stick up for him?
Speaker 4: My personal opinion of the man has nothing to do with this, Miss Cudley. I say there'll be no bout of inquiry because it suits my purposes, said the feat.
Speaker 7: And just what are your purposes? Captain?
Speaker 4: I drove my ship ninety miles off of course in a hurricane, risked my life in an open boat just for one reason, mister Larson, because I knew you were registered out of New Bristol.
Speaker 6: Ah, so that's.
Speaker 4: It, I mister Connley, that's it. I updated on. A man saved his life just so he could stand up alongside of me. Have our pictures taken for the newspapers?
Speaker 7: I get it. So you don't want some messy board of inquiry, don one scandal in the story of your noble rescue on the high Sea? Eh? You want to be a blessed.
Speaker 4: Hero, mister Larson. Being a hero has got nothing to do with it. But I am planning to get a public apology out of the town of New Bristol, and you or nobody else is going to do anything to stop me.
Speaker 7: Oh well, it's too bad you haven't got the whole say about it, captain.
Speaker 4: And it's too bad you're bullheaded, sit on and swearing away your captain's ticket. That you forced me to teach you.
Speaker 7: A esson And just how are you aiming to do that by.
Speaker 4: Knucking a little sense into your thick knugin something like this? Oh?
Speaker 7: So what's up?
Speaker 6: Fight?
Speaker 7: All right? Come on, captain, teach.
Speaker 11: Me a lesson, and the one you learned in China. I teach you all right? Have you got yeah, mister Larson? Well, catch up, all right, he's not a par.
Speaker 8: Of dividers, so you t like to step in whatever? Well, lasten, okay, what about his father?
Speaker 7: I'm through.
Speaker 4: They're going to be a body of inquiry.
Speaker 7: Now I'll back up anything you say, good?
Speaker 4: What about the rest of you? Anything I say?
Speaker 6: Go yes?
Speaker 4: All right, then get back on.
Speaker 6: Watch.
Speaker 4: What do you think this is a peaceful habit of a sunday?
Speaker 6: It was a clear sunshiny when we esteemed in a New Bristol harbor and robbed anchor at the mouth of the river. Captain Weatherfield sent Miller on ashore at quarantine, he insisting that his reason was not just to make sure of having a reception ready. Nonetheless, he spent an hour and a half shaving, trimming his hair, and dressing up in his best shore going clothes. But he had a right to strut a little at that. He'd moved through a whole series of tough jobs, every one against almost impossible odds, and he'd come out on top, and all because he wanted his daughters up in Maine to though he could do something once in a wild asides punch people in the nuggin. It was mid afternoon by the time we finally rowed ashore in the long boat, and a good sized crowd had assembled on the walk. And when we got him close, we could see Captain Miller waiting by the landing, along with the regular reception committee, all dressed up in striped pants and top hats like a bunch of foreign diplomats. And the headman of the whole layout was the same judge you'd given the captain seven days in jail.
Speaker 4: Easy now, mister.
Speaker 6: Conley, I hold this study, sir, thank him here. Yeah, I'll cover you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all welcome coming weather here on behalf of the town of now Bristol.
Speaker 4: Well that's mighty nice.
Speaker 7: Have you judged a.
Speaker 4: Dog, Captain? We're the one on the whole town if we want you to know it, well, thank you, judge.
Speaker 3: Captain Miller here has given us a complete story rescue at sea, the daring operation that saved his nie.
Speaker 4: Here. Now you're feeling, Captain Miller.
Speaker 9: I'm a little tired right now, Captain, been pretty busy arranging things, you know.
Speaker 6: Of course here on this.
Speaker 4: Town, Captain Weatherfill, there's nothing too good for you. We're proud of you. I was wondering if you'd recall a little incident where we met before, Judge, not so long ago. A terrible mistake.
Speaker 3: I'll never forgive myself if you know your public apology, Captain Weatherfield.
Speaker 4: Don't believe you know just what to say, Judge. But then at all tu.
Speaker 3: Say, Captain Wetherfield, As I said before, we're the ones who are honored the whole town of New Bristol and all of New England too.
Speaker 4: By Joe, what's those reporters get their stories on the wire, the report is, hey, well now that's going too much trouble, Judge. Yah, Captain, not at all. They will be wanting an interview with you. You know we've had quite a time keeping them off this long. You're a hero man. Do you realize that I only did my duty?
Speaker 7: Judge?
Speaker 3: The New Bristol needs more men who only do their duty, Captain weather View.
Speaker 4: Nicely nice of you to say.
Speaker 3: So when I recall the way you were treated here a few weeks ago, Captain, Well, all I can do is to ask your forgiveness publicly.
Speaker 4: Has suspect that might be range, Judge, I'm not a man there, Brudge. A That's which your actions have proven, sir.
Speaker 3: Them there fellas with the cameras the reporters are there. Oh, yes, yes, indeed, Captain, well, of course the photographer. Really they're taking them pictures to print in the newspapers.
Speaker 4: Are they. That's right, Captain, they'll be seen by people all over the country. I suppose we might walk over that way, certainly, Captain, whether vie'll certainly? Anything you like? Want to join? Is Captain Miller? Thanks, gentlemen.
Speaker 9: You know, I was just thinking, if they print a picture of that ship out there, nobody will believe the story.
Speaker 4: What did you say, Captain Miller? I said, they wouldn't believe it.
Speaker 9: To look at that old mud sky, you wouldn't think she could float in the calm see much less.
Speaker 5: Whether he's he struck the man teach you to call my ship a mud scar salamander, stop by saying stop stopp constable. Constable I'd rest that man and look them up and the chat of a Salt.
Speaker 4: And Beckery Escape.
Speaker 2: Produced and directed by Norman McDonald, Tonight brought you Habit by F. R. Buckley, adapted for radio by Less Crutchfield, with editorial supervision by John Duncle. Featured in Tonight's cast were John Dayner as Mister mcconley and Louis van Ruton as Captain Weatherfield, with Wilms Herbert as Captain Miller, Barry Kroger as the Judge, and Bill Bouchet as first Mate Larson. Special music by Ivan Dittmars.
Speaker 1: Next week, you are making your painful way over the great Indian Desert alone and dying of thirst, while behind you pursuing you of the fanatical copies who once bowed to you as king and now call for your life.
Speaker 2: Next week we escape with Rudyard Kipling's exciting story The Man who Would Be King.
Speaker 7: Good Night.
Speaker 2: Then until the same time next week, when once again we offer you escape. This is CBS, the Columbia Broadcasting System.