Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 1: KFI Radio. This is Mission Control Houston.
Speaker 2: Please call station for our voice check.
Speaker 1: Station. This is Amy King with kfi's wake up call. How do you hear me?
Speaker 3: I can hear you loud and clear.
Speaker 4: And it's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 1: And his name is Amy King.
Speaker 3: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: This is not eight is five oh one. This is your wake up call for Friday, February fourteenth. I'm Amy King. I might just be the first one to wish you a happy Valentine's Day. I want to say thanks to producer Michelle. We came in and there was a little cutie sweetheart was yep and kisses and a little unicorn sticker.
Speaker 5: What are you.
Speaker 1: Supposed to do with this? It's a gel thing. You can stick it on your window, like put it on the window of your car. It'll just stick there. Oh okay, I'm all about the unicorns. Thank you, Michelle. Happy Valentine, Thank you, Michelle Man. How about that rain we were talking about it yesterday, you know in the morning because they were like, Okay, it's going to be two o'clock till two am, and then they shortened that window from two to ten, and then they shortened it from four till nine. Is the most severe storm time, And I tell you about four four point thirty at my house. I know that it was moving across, but at my house that's when it hit and it was coming down in buckets, like I haven't seen in the longest time. Yeah, and like and it was blowing. So my balcony, which is covered, got all wet. And then I looked out and I was like, boy, it sure is loud out front on my front porch with the rain, and it almost came into the house. It was pouring down the walkway like a little river. And then so I got out this squeegee and to get it so it wouldn't get into the front door because it was just it's on a little bit of a it's not on a slope. Normally it drains fine. But so I was out there with my squeegee and got it all out and then I'll just do this for the next four or five hours. But luckily it only lasted for about a I don't know, less than an hour, so it was fine. And then I, you know, and I was like, going, boy er, you a woos because I'm dealing with a little bit of water keeping it out on my front door, and they've got mud slides all over the area. So aren't you from Oregon? I am, And it rains a lot in Oregon, but it's not that the day luge like we got the atmospheric river de luge. It doesn't always fall that way. So anyway, I hope you made it through safely. Overall, we've got some damage, but nobody's been hurt, and so that is great news. Let's get right into what's ahead on wakeup. Called heavy rain, of course, pounding the Southland. It caused flooding and mud flows, especially in the Pacific Palisades, Altadena and Pasadena. More than an inch of rain per hour fell yesterday afternoon. Several roadways were covered in mud and debris. They still are No injuries reported. Five and a half inches of rain fell in the San Gabriel Dam area from the storm. Just under three inches fell in downtown La Burbank and Santa Monica got just under two inches of rain from the atmospheric river. The worst of it's moved out, there's still a fifty percent chance of showers this morning. President Trump has ordered reciprocal tear saying they will simply charge countries what they charged the US. ABC's Karen Travers joins us in just a couple minutes to talk about those tariffs and what they'll mean for you and me. US attorney has up and quit after refusing to drop the charges against New York City Mayor Eric Adams. So Stephen Portnoy with ABC is going to dig into that one for us. The host of Home on KFI, Dean Sharp, joins us to tell us that if you've got an idea about a project to do on your house, that's a good thing, but what you do about it is what could be bad. That's coming up at five point thirty, and it could be a bear of a weekend at movie theaters. ABC's Willgans is going to join us to tell us about that and what's new on the stream that's at five fifty. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The heavy rain has caused some muddy messes around La Mud and debris overwhelmed a catch basin in the Palisades area and cascaded onto a street. One debris flow in Malibu swept in La City Fire Department vehicle off pch and into the ocean. The firefighter who was inside was able to jump out of the suv as the vehicle was pushed through a k rail and a fence before it eventually plunged off a cliff.
Speaker 5: Are you okay?
Speaker 1: He was able to walk back to the road and was taken to the hospital as precaution. The rain has caused a large debris flow on Mulholland Drive in the Hollywood Hills. The fire department said there was about eight inches of mud on the roadway yesterday, blocking the street. Officials say homes above the debris flow had been determined to be stable. A possible tornado has torn roofs off homes at a mobile home park in Oxnard. The National Weather Services the Ocean Air Mobile Home Estates area was hit by sixty mile per hour wind gush shortly after three thirty yesterday afternoon. About a dozen properties were damaged and power was knocked out. No injuries were reported. Meteorologists called the extreme wind event a possible week tornado. Jackie the bald eagle is weathering the storm in a nest high above the Big Bear Lake. She has endured the heavy rain and pounding winds as she protects her three eggs, and now she's dealing with the snow. She's pretty much buried in it right now. Shadow came by the nest to offer to take over yesterday, but Jackie stay and put protecting those eggs. The EGLTZ could begin hatching by the end of February. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Karen Travers. So, Karen, President Trump has said more tariffs were coming, and indeed they have. He announced him yesterday.
Speaker 6: What's going on, Well, he didn't actually announce new terriffs yesterday, like he didn't put anything in place. He's threatening more terriffs. He's having his administration look into relationships that the United States has with other countries trade deficits and figure out whether they can be evened out. So it's another threat of tariffs. And you know this follows threatened tariffs on Mexico and Canada. He did put new tariffs in China. He has expanded tariffs on steel and aluminum. But now this is essentially putting the world on notice anybody that the United States does trade with. The President says it's a matter of fairness that whatever countries are charging the US in terms of tariffs, that we will charge them. He said, no more, no less. But you know, we can't underline this enough that economists and experts warned that higher tariffs on imports coming into this country that are then paid by American companies are passed on to American consumers in the form of higher prices. And you know, there are concerns then about what a big trade war, you know, doing higher tariffs on countries all over the world could mean for inflation here at home. And this announcement yesterday by the President comes just twenty four hours after a new report showed inflation is on the rise. It's now up three percent.
Speaker 1: Okay, So going back to the tariffs that he says that that he is looking at reciprocal tariffs and basically saying, well, if they're going to charge us, we're going to charge them. And then he gave an example like for exports of cars, there's a ten percent tariff on US companies exporting cars, but for the cars coming in I think it's Mercedes was the example they used. It's a two and a half percent, So he's saying he just wants to equal it out, like if you're going to charge us something, we're going to charge you that. And what's the endgame of that is that to say then let's just get rid of tariffs.
Speaker 6: It's not clear, I mean, And that's the thing, Like there was nothing announced yesterday in terms of like the numbers this yesterday. What he said is like, we're going to look into all of this and see, you know, where we have those deficits, what countries we have the biggest one where we think we could start making moves. You know. It was largely symbolic yesterday and more to come, essentially after the president's team does a review. Even his own economic top economic advisor the day before when he was asked about this, he said it was a work in progress. But the president yesterday announcing this signing a thing, just directing his team to start moving forward to look into this.
Speaker 1: It sounds kind of like it's the start of a negotiation. He'll cut like what he did with Mexico and Kennada and said we're going to do this and then they came back with their response to it. And right now those tariffs are on hold.
Speaker 6: Right, yes, very much still on the table based on what the President has said recently, but on pause at this moment. But we'll see what happens at the end of that month and whether he puts them in place as he has threatened.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then he also said that because of all the tariffs and what that's going to do, America is going to be flooded with jobs. How does that work out in his eyes?
Speaker 6: He has not said that either. I think the sense is that people would be you know, the companies here would be doing better, and that could lead to job creation. But again it was just a comment the President made yesterday.
Speaker 5: I think.
Speaker 6: Another important thing to notice he also said that there could be some short term disturbance when he was acknowledging prices could go up. He was pushed on that by a reporter saying, or should Americans prepare for some short term pain? He said, I didn't say that. Well, you know, if the prices go up, he said, well, let's see what happens.
Speaker 1: Well, and we will see what happened and see if this just is a first step in negotiations. Karen Travers, thank you so much. Have a wonderful weekend.
Speaker 6: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four our newsroom. The city of Calabasas is not happy about the EPA choosing the city's landfill to dispose of waste from the Palisades fire.
Speaker 7: It's been very difficult finding information on the fire cleanup and the debris removal, and we've been actively working to get in that information for several weeks now and we're not finding that information.
Speaker 1: Calabasis Mayor Peter Kraut says he's concerned about toxic materials like arsenic and lead, but has been assured that no toxic materials like lithium ion batteries will be disposed of at the land fill.
Speaker 7: Unfortunately, hazardous waste includes more than just household hazardous waste, and certainly could include toxin things that are bad for the environment, bad for living beings, bad for our waterway.
Speaker 1: The city attorney is exploring options to try to delay the operation or get the EPA to choose another site. President Trump says the US will increase military sales to India by many billions of dollars, as he put it, after meeting with Indian Prime Minister Narenda Modi at the White House, Trump also said he was paving the way to give India F thirty five stealth fighter planes. The Prime minister's visit follows a controversial US deportation flight earlier this month that saw over one hundred Indian migrants return to their home country. Elon Musk says the US should delete entire agencies in order to cut waste and reduce bureaucracy. He said it during a video call to the World Government Summit in Dubai.
Speaker 5: It's kind of like leaving a week.
Speaker 4: If you remove the roots of the weed, then it's easy for the week to go back. But if you remove the rich roots of the weed, it doesn't stop weeds from every going.
Speaker 5: Back that it makes it harder.
Speaker 1: He says reducing the size of government will end the rule of bureaucracy and restore the rule of the people. He also said the US should stay out of the affairs of other countries and, as he put it, mind its own business. A teenage girl in Indiana's been arrested for allegedly plotting a mass shooting at her school on Valentine's Day. Court filing show a tipster reported their friend was planning the attack, had access to an AR fifteen rifle, and had just ordered a bulletproof vest. Eighteen year old Trinity Shockley is charged with conspiracy to commit murder and two terrorism related crimes. Police say she was inspired by the school shooting in Parkland, Florida, in twenty eighteen. Mexico has threatened legal action against Google for changing the name of the Gulf of Mexico to the Gulf of America on Google Maps. Kfi's Tammy Truchio says the change was made because of an executive order from President Trump.
Speaker 8: On Thursday, Mexican President Claudia Shinbaum said Google was wrong to change the name of the entire body of water because Trump's executive order only applies to the US Continental shellf.
Speaker 1: Mexico says its government could file a civil suit against Google if it doesn't fix the what it calls an error. Streets, neighborhoods, freeways have been flooded by the huge storm that moves through southern California. Rain was falling at a rate of more than an inch per hour at one point yesterday, triggering mud and debris flows and blocking roadways in the Hollywood Hills, pch Malibu, and in the Pacific Palisades and Altadena Burn areas. California's water supply has improved significantly because of the heavy rainfall in the state this month. The state's largest reservoir, which is Shasta Lake near Redding, rose by twenty two feet. Lake Oroville and Butte County the second largest, so its water level increased by twenty three feet after getting twenty four inches of rain in two weeks. That's five times the usual amount. The crew of a Northern California based US Coast guardship has offloaded more than eighteen tons of cocaine in San Diego, seized from drug traffickers off the coasts of Mexico and Central and South America in the past few months. Scart says the more than thirty seven thousand pounds of coke has a street value of about two hundred and seventy five million dollars. Let's say good morning to ABC's Stephen Portnite Portnite. Okay, So Stephen, The DOJ says it stepping in wants to dismiss the federal bribery case against New York City Mayor Eric Adams, but the top federal prosecutor in Manhattan didn't want anything to do.
Speaker 4: With that, and she quit. Danielle Sassoon is her name, No relation to v dal anyway.
Speaker 1: Are they still in business. I haven't seen anything from Videlsas Snerl.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but that was that was a digression, Okay. So here's what happened. In the last several weeks. There's been apparently a tremendous amount of tension in the ranks of the Justice Department over this decision by Washington by Emil Bovey, who is the acting Deputy Attorney General, to order the dismissal of the against Eric Adams, the bribery case involving allegations that he took gifts from Turkish officials in exchange for applying pressure on his own city government to facilitate the certificates of occupancy for the Turkish consulate in New York. The case is pending, and the prosecutors who have brought it insist that this man committed these crimes and should be held to account. The decision, however, here in Washington is that it was a politically motivated prosecution brought by prosecutors who were taking vengeance against Eric Adams for his criticism of Biden era administration policies immigration policies. And the current situation is that the acting US Attorney for Manhattan has quit and we have seen fierce letters written by both Danielle Sassoon and Emiel Beauvet which get into this idea of the tension between the two sides. And you have now half a dozen people in the Justice Department who have left their posts rather than carrying out the order to dismiss the charges against Adams. Six prosecutors in the Justice Department who are willing to walk away from their jobs rather than carrying out the order to dismiss charges against a man who they believed to be guilty of these crimes.
Speaker 1: And then wasn't there some conversation that people who are still there who worked on the case could end up getting disciplined or.
Speaker 4: Fired because he has felt that the people who serve under him have been insubordinate and this is a meal. Emil Bouvet says that he will put the line prosecutors who targeted Atoms on administrative leave and see about possibly dismissing them.
Speaker 1: Aren't they just following orders?
Speaker 4: Well, that's what they would tell you, and not only that, but following the law that they found substantial evidence. And what was also really surprising and eye opening yesterday was in the detail in Danielle Sassoon's letter to the Justice Department that her team had been preparing to add additional counts in a superseding indictment charging Eric Adams with destroying evidence and asking others to lie to the FBI. So what remains unclear this morning is how this is going to be resolved. One question would be, well, couldn't Trump just pardon Eric Adams? The answer, of course is yes, But why hasn't he Well, the arrangement, as it's understood, and this director from the Justice Department, is to withdraw the charges without precedent, threatening that they could be brought back. Why would you want to do that for leverage over Adams? Why do you want leverage over Adams? Because the President wants to see New York City submit to federal immigration enforcement. And the suggestions been made by the former US Attorney acting US Attorney Manhattan, Danielle Sassoon that a quid pro quo was in play, that Eric Adams and his attorneys agreed that he would submit his city to federal immigration enforcement in exchange for dropping the charges. The Justice Department says that's not the case, and Eric Adams's attorney say it's not the case, but it is the allegation of the now former acting US Attorney for Manhattan.
Speaker 1: Well, on both sides, things smell a little suspicious.
Speaker 4: To me, not just you. And the question is what does it say about corruption and the application of even handed justice in America? If the Justice Department is willing to look the other way past corruption allegations, if you happen to sign on to the president and his policies, how does that comport with the idea of equal justice under law? It can't.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 4: It's true the pardon power's absolute, but we're not talking about that here, and even if we were, that would also raise questions about even handed justice in America. This is how the Justice Department is going to pursue varying targets, and that may wind up coming up before a judge to decide whether to move forward with a dismissal. You know, the court has to be asked to dismiss the charges once they've been entered.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll be watching ABC. Stephen Portnoy as always, thanks so much for helping to explain this, because it looks easy on the surface, it never is. Oh not this one, all right, thanks so much.
Speaker 5: You bet.
Speaker 1: The roof of a Smart and Final store in Azusa has collapsed during the heavy rain. This man says he was eating at a restaurant nearby last night when he heard the commotion, but like a boom and then like things just breaking. He says the crash was scary loud.
Speaker 5: I could see people running out, and I could just see everything destroyed in the produce section, and I was like, oh my god, Like I was scared out of my mind. It was.
Speaker 7: It was insane.
Speaker 1: The store is temporarily closed. La County Sheriff Robert Luna says his department will not assist with federal immigration rates. Kfi's Mark Mayfield says the sheriff said during an interview that his department's policies on enforcement and assistance have not changed and it won't be part of any sweeps. Luna says immigration enforcement is out of the lasd's jurisdiction, adding that it does not have the resources to help immigration and Customs enforcement agents. The sheriff says immigration is a federal law enforcement issue. The city of Fremont has passed some of the strictest homeless camping laws in the state. The city council voted six to one to make it illegal for homeless people to set up tents on public property. Those who break the law could face a fine of up to one thousand dollars and six months in jail. The Fremont City attorney says the law does not permit arrests for people who provide supplies to the homeless unless those supplies create a shelter for camping on public land. Federal judge has blocked parts of two executive orders by President Trump that aimed to restrict gender affirming care.
Speaker 4: On Thursday, a US district judge ruled in favor of a group of LGBTQ organizations and transgender teams who sued for the orders.
Speaker 1: Okay if i's Brian Shuk says the groups argued the orders were discriminatory and lacked authority. The ruling applies nationwide and is the latest in a series of court orders restricting the Trump Administration's recent actions. Igloo is recalling over a million ninety court flip and toe rolling coolers because of a safety hazard. The toe handle can pinch a person's fingertips, possibly causing cuts, fractures, or amputations. The Consumer Product Safety Commission says twelve injuries have been reported so far. People who have the coolers are urged to stop using them and contact Igloo for a free replacement handle. I've just got to ask this question, how many of those involved tailgaters at the end of a party? Okay? A family fund dirt flinging, high flying events Returning to Orange County this weekend.
Speaker 2: Monster Jam crushes its final weekend at Angel Stadium Tomorrow and Sunday. The event will feature some of the best monster truck drivers around in several competitions, including racing skills and freestyle. Fans get to score the drivers in real time, and families can also enjoy the Monster Jam Pit party for an up close look at the trucks and drivers. Tickets are available on the official Monster Jam website. Andrew Caravella KFI News.
Speaker 1: A Wall of Water is raced down streets in Pacific Palisades carrying mud and debris. Several vehicles in the area got caught up in the mud that covered roadways. Evacuation orders in the burn areas because of mud mudslide danger will remain in place until at least this afternoon. No injuries have been reported from the storm. A firefighter got swept up in a mudslide that pushed his suv off pch and into the ocean in Malibu. LA Fire says the firefighter was driving through heavy rainwater, mud, and debris when the suv was pushed off the road late yesterday afternoon. He was able to get out of the suv and was taken to the hospital as a precaution. Jackie the bald eagle has been weathering the storm in a nest high Big Bear Lake. She has endured heavy rain and pounding winds as she protects her eggs. Shadow came by the nest to offer to take over the nesting duties yesterday, but Jackie stay and put protecting those eggs. The iglicts could start hatching by the end of February. At six oh five, it's handle on the news. California is one of several states suing over what it calls Elon Musk's unchecked power. Right now, let's say good morning to the host of home on KFI, the house Whisper Dean Sharp Dean. If you have an idea about your house, that's a good thing. What you do about it could be bad. That is true.
Speaker 3: That is very, very true. And more homeowners that are planning out their remodels, their dream kitchens, whatever it is that you're changing about your house that you just want to be better, we encourage them to spend more time dreaming than they do instead of just rushing into the first idea or what they think is the first idea. And I encourage people to realize that there aren't any bad ideas. There aren't, especially when it comes to partners who are doing this together. There's almost always one partner who's like constantly shutting down anything that sounds out of the ordinary or weird. And I think you miss a lot of opportunities for what could be some of the best design ideas from that. So there are no bad ideas. There are only bad decisions. Okay, an idea is not a decision. It's just an idea that's floating around out there. And if more people get used to the idea of like, let's just play with ideas for a while, we don't have to commit to these things. Then there would be less bad decisions being made along the way for remodels as well. So the encouragement that we're going to be given folks in a little conversation on tomorrow's show is to loosen up a little bit, give yourself some more time. Build a sandbox, as it were, whether it's just in your mind or you build a file that you call sandbox, and you know, just like little kids going in there. Whatever we build in there, it's not consequential, it's not gonna it's not meant to last, it's not meant to be the permanent thing. But it gives you a place to play around. And who knows out of that, and I will tell you, Tina and I do this as we design homes all the time. Out of all of that fun and weirdness and freedom, there will usually come the kernel of the idea that ends up changing the space the idea.
Speaker 1: So then so you take all those ideas and then once you kind of land on something, you still could be in trouble because maybe you have the idea, but you don't know how to implement it, and you try it, you're.
Speaker 3: Right, and that's when that's when you take that now and you start drawing it into the real world, which means research. It means you know, shopping, it means learning everything that you can about how it will affect. And this none of this is meant to, you know, replace the role of like a professional designer in your process, which I wish more homeowners you know, would appeal to. Not just because that would be good for me, I find but I am just such a strong believer, you know what I say all the time, design matters most. The one thing that is missing from most mainstream, middle class remodel projects is a professional design not a professional contractor, but a professional designer who can help you once you've got that kernel of an idea, get from point A to point Z and see it work out the right way.
Speaker 1: And if you get a designer now, you don't do the project and then have to get a designer later to fix what you did wrong.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, it is so so much more difficult to undo. You know what, I would say, maybe eighty percent of houses out there are suffering from post traumatic design disorder, you know, I mean they've just been traumatized by bad ideas that have come into the real world and manifest themselves. Better to spend more time thinking it through and getting creative upfront before you make a decision.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're gonna be talking about this tomorrow. No bad ideas, just bad decisions. That is coming up from six to eight on Saturday, and then from nine to noon on Sunday, you're going to be talking about dealing with insurance companies after property damage, which a lot of people have right now. So again that's nine to noon on Sunday. This is Dean Sharp. He is the host of Home on KFI and Our House Whisper. You can follow him at Home with Dean. Thank you, Dean, Thanks Amy. Time to get in your business now with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho. Courtney. Let's talk about the markets real quick, because it's Friday and I just took a little peak Thig. Things are not on the positive side as we get ready to open. But it is Valentine's Day. I wish I could give you better news.
Speaker 8: And by the way, I'm always a manifestation of bad ideas when it comes to decorating.
Speaker 1: We had a hook up with Dean Sharp.
Speaker 8: Oh Man, I was thinking about all my decisions I've made over the years of my house. Anyway, looking at the markets, I wish it was a little bit sweeter. We've had so much going on this week. We had reports this week that showed inflation is pretty stubborn.
Speaker 1: We also had all those tariff headlines happening this week.
Speaker 8: Right now, doubt futures they're down eighty five points, SMP futures down to tenth of a percent. They're lower, not too bad, but they're still lower. On the day, very different than what we saw yesterday. We had a big rally. President Trump moved to impose reciprocal.
Speaker 1: Tariffs, but not right away.
Speaker 8: A little bit of a pause kind of gave the market's a little room to breathe. So we did see the dow jump three hundred forty three hundred forty three points to finish out the day.
Speaker 1: The market is very knee jerky. Yes, we always. I always laugh.
Speaker 8: It's the nervous nellies. They see a headline and they go, WHOA, I got to make a change, or oh, I got to do something. So I always crack up with a friend of mine. The nervous nellies on Wall Street what are they going to say based on whatever headline crosses? And and you know, there has been a lot of knee jerk movements, especially when it comes to these tariff headlines. Once we see a tariff headline cross, we usually see markets move in one direction, either up or down, with a pretty significant move in either direction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, as people are dealing with inflation, maybe they have a little bit less discretionary spending. So is that why kids are ordering off the kids menu? Well, adults are ordering off the kids Oh, adults are ordering off the kids menues. You can do that at Disneyland. Some places don't, let you can. I tell you I did that.
Speaker 9: Too, because a lot of some times these portions are so huge, they're so expensive. Others tell the Wall Street Journal, well, we're on Ozembic, we can eat the large meals.
Speaker 1: And then there's some folks.
Speaker 8: Who just want to feel like a kid again. They want their mac and cheese, they want their Shirley temples. So people are ordering more off the kid's menu, And according to restaurant industry researcher Sirkana, orders for kids meals placed by adults rose twenty eight percent last year compared with twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: So smaller portions fun food and it probably costs a little less. Yes.
Speaker 8: And by the way, there is one big downside to the menu, and that's a lack of variety.
Speaker 9: Chicken strips, burgers, and grilled.
Speaker 8: Cheese that tends to be the big three offered.
Speaker 1: Other good news is I love chicken strips, burgers and grilled cheese, and mac and cheese is usually on there too.
Speaker 8: And by the way, one way of not getting turned away as an adult place to take out order or a mobile order.
Speaker 10: Don't see you.
Speaker 1: Right, that's in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho, who we talk to every day this time to get a sneak peek into the markets and other business related things. Thank you so much, Courtney, see you later. Have a great weekend it thanks you too, Happy bed what I met Valentine's Day?
Speaker 11: Go across.
Speaker 1: I was trying to be you know, have economy of words. Oh that's the best you may be laugh right. Several mobile homes in Oxnard have been damaged in what witnesses say was a tornado. It blew through the Ocean Air Mobile Home Park east of Oxnard College. Around three thirty yesterday afternoon, some of the mobile homes had their roofs ripped off. The Red Cross has set up a temporary emergency shelter to take care of the residents of about a dozen homes damaged. The mayor of Calabasas says the EPA's decision to use the city's landfill to dispose of waste from the Palisades fire was made without consulting city leaders. Mayor Peter Kraut says he has been assured that no toxic materials will be disposed of, but he's concerned about other toxins like arsenate and lead found in the ash. If you're planning to get married this Valentine's Day, you can do it today at the La County Clerk's offices. The headquarters in Norwalk and branch offices in East La and Vanus, and also the Beverly Hills Courthouse are doing wedding ceremonies from eight thirty to four thirty today. No appointments are required, but couples are encouraged to fill out a marriage application online before arriving. That should help speed up the process. We're just minutes away from Handle on the news this morning, police in Indiana say they have prevented a Valentine's Day massacre. On a more positive belt, let's say good morning now to ABC's Will Gans. So Will first, we're going to go to the stream and then we'll head to the theaters. We have The White Lotus coming back.
Speaker 5: At long last. It's a Valentine's Day miracle. This is like my favorite show of all time. Yes, oh my gosh, I just love it so much. So this go around, this is season three. We are at a White Lotus hotel in Thailand, and in tradition with seasons one, in season two, season three opens with the dead body and we are tasked with figuring out who was killed, who killed them and why?
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 5: And this season of The White Lotus, you know, Mike White, who's the creator, writer, director, has said that it's going to be bigger and crazier than seasons one and two, which is hard to imagine because the last one ended with Jennifer Coolidge killing everybody on a boat.
Speaker 1: So, oh, you just gave it away.
Speaker 5: I mean, if you haven't seen season two by now, three years late, I don't know what to tell you.
Speaker 10: But anyway, I'm.
Speaker 1: Just it's been three years since the last one.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's been it's been a while. Yeah, maybe like yeah, two and a half or so, but very excited for this one. Kerry Koon is in at Parker Posey, Patrick Schwarzenegger. So just a fun and exciting cast, Lisa who's a K pop star.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's a whole new cast each season.
Speaker 5: Right exactly. There is one crossover character from season one if you watch season one, Belinda the spa manager, is also going to be in season three, so we'll see sort of why he decided to bring her back and you know what role she might play this go around.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's on the stream, And then if you are going to head to a movie theater, Captain America is coming back.
Speaker 5: Yes, So we were sort of in a Marvel drought last year. We only had one Marvel movie, which was Deadpool and Wolverine, you know which, following years of several Marvel movies. I know that the fan base is ready for more content this year. This weekend, they're getting Captain America Brave New World. Anthony Mackie plays Captain America, Harrison Ford plays the President, Flash the Red Hulk, which is sort of a comic book super villain character. So we'll have to see, you know, how they decide to tackle that. But a lot of people excited about that this weekend.
Speaker 1: How does he get rid? Why is he read instead of.
Speaker 7: Green Christmas vibes?
Speaker 4: No, I don't know.
Speaker 7: Okay, it's uh, it's no.
Speaker 5: It's it's I guess it's just a different version of the same, you know, alien species. I guess I am not steeped in the lore of comic book you know, now, the.
Speaker 1: Green guy got exposed to Gamma rays.
Speaker 5: Okay, see why are you asking me? You know the question, you know the answer.
Speaker 1: I only know about the Green guy. I don't know about the red one.
Speaker 5: Maybe it's like, uh, what's a different version, not a Gamma ray? He got X rayed or something like that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 12: All right, if you want something a little less action packed but still action packed, but maybe if you have this weekend or the grandkids, Paddington in Peru is in theaters this weekend.
Speaker 5: I went inside in the theater yesterday and it was a lot of grandparents and kids and amy.
Speaker 4: I cried.
Speaker 5: The movie it's so sweet. It is just adorable. And there is a lot of adventure elements.
Speaker 7: He goes back to Peru.
Speaker 5: He's gonna help track down his aunt Lucy, who's been missing, and it's just, you know, it's a fun adventure. It's very silly, and then you know, there's a lovely message about what family means and what home means. And I was sitting there surrounded by children and grandparents, and I was like, nobody looked at me.
Speaker 7: Nobody looked at me.
Speaker 1: I would have paid to see that.
Speaker 6: Will.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I'm glad that you did it, and I'm glad that nobody noticed that I was dabbing my eyes profusely by the end of the movie.
Speaker 1: Okay, that sounds like a very strong endorsement for Paddington in Peru. ABC's Willgans, thank you so much, have.
Speaker 3: A great weekend, you too.
Speaker 1: That's so cute, Hee Crid at Paddington in Peru. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. La County Supervisor Catherine Barker is urging property owners to provide apartments to residents displaced by the Eaton fire. The Ellie County Development Authority is working with the American Red Cross to find one in two bedroom apartments within a ten mile radius of the Eton fire. She says rentals in Pasadena, Glendale, and Monrovia are especially needed. Businessman Rick Caruso, who ran for mayor against Karen Bass, says he is focused on getting Pacific Palisades rebuilt following the devastating fire last month.
Speaker 10: The failure of leadership in this city is just so dramatic. It's astounding to think about what happened.
Speaker 1: He tells KFI that city leaders need to be held accountable, but he says his job right now is to help people get back into their homes, and.
Speaker 10: We're leaning in also in Altadena. I mean, that's a beautiful community, very moderate, and they need a lot of help.
Speaker 1: Caruso has set up a group called Steadfast LA, which is dedicated to rebuilding LA. In the wake of the fires, The Trump administration has ordered federal agencies to lay off all probationary employees who haven't yet gained civil service protections, part of the administration's efforts to shrink the government workforce. Hundreds of thousands of workers could be affected. Workers at some agencies have been warned that large cuts are coming. Tiktec is back in the app stores. The social media app returned to the Apple and Google App stores last night after it was removed about a month ago in response to a law that banned the Chinese app in the US if it didn't sell to a non Chinese company. The apps return follows a letter from US Attorney General Pambondi informing Apple that it would not be fine for hosting the app. Well, it wasn't the belly of a whale, but a kayaker in Chile got really close. ABC's Andrea Fujii says a nineteen year old was kayaking with his father on Saturday when he was gobbled up by a humpback whale k Adriansane.
Speaker 11: He first thought it had eaten and swallowed him, adding the real fear set in after he resurfaced, scared that something might also happen to his father, or that he would get hypothermia from the frigid waters.
Speaker 1: She says, after a few minutes, some man was able to reach his father's kayak and both of them returned to shore swallowed by a whale. I'm sure it was an accident. Humpback whales are very gentle. Plus if you've seen the video the whale spits in back house. He's just like that. Nah oh, people don't taste very good. This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, Southland Weather from KFI. The worst of the rain has moved out, but we still have a pretty decent chance of showers through the morning. Some sun mixed in with clouds this afternoon. Highs in the low sixties at the beaches, Metro LA and in Lando c Fifties to mid sixties in the valleys and Inland Empire, forties and fifties in the Anaelope Valley. Clear skies tonight with lows in the thirties and forties. Partly cloudy with highs in the mid sixties Tomorrow morning, clouds, afternoon sun Sunday with highs in the middupper sixties at the beaches and metro areas, sixties to low seventies in the valleys and Ie. It's fifty nine in dana point, fifty seven in Long Beach, fifty two in Claremont, fifty five in Anaheim. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer Michelle and technical producer Kno and also traffic specialist Will I'm Amy King. This has been your Valentine's Day wake up Call. If you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app