Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WBS, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, Nicole, if we if you and I knew that the Celtics would go for a measly six point three billion, we could have probably got in on this action too pocket change right, Well, you know, I mean it's a little bit, but you and I we could have covered it totally.
Speaker 3: Well, then again, people seem to think that we're like millionaires in radio.
Speaker 2: That is not the kid. Anything that I could do to reinforce that.
Speaker 3: Maybe if it was you know, six and a half dollars.
Speaker 2: Maybe, oh yeah, absolutely, no question no. But it's exciting.
Speaker 4: This is big news.
Speaker 2: It is it is big news. The folks who all the Celtics turned quite a profit, they call that return ROI return on investment. I think they bought it for three hundred mil. Yes, I saw that. Good for them sometimes good for them? Yeah hopefully, Well yeah, that can go to pay off the national debt. Says all about that. Great to chat. We owe each other a phone call. Yes, talk to you, thanks to Gold, talk to you. Good night. Welcome on in everyone. My name is Dan Ray, and this is Night's Out. We've got a great show. Schedule for you tonight. Once again, we have some subjects that you may not have thought a lot about. But the whole idea here on Nightside is we try to make people think. I do care that you're thinking. It matters not to me what you're thinking. You can come to any conclusion on any subject and you can use our microphone to shout it to the world. It's as simple as that. My name's Dan Ray. Rob Brooks, the producer of this fine program, is back at Broadcast Central headquarters. He's going to make sure everything goes smoothly. There will be no phone calls until after nine o'clock because we have four guests, as we do every eight o'clock, and they are interesting topics. Tonight, my first guest is doctor Fara Mustafa. She's a dermatologist and director of laser and cosmetics at Tuft's Medical Center, kind of close to home. Welcome, doctor Mustapha. How are you tonight?
Speaker 5: Hi?
Speaker 6: Dan, how are you? I'm doing well? Thanks, I'm doing great.
Speaker 2: We are going to talk about something that I don't know a lot about, and so bear with me if I ask any dumb questions. But that's what I get paid to do. The Federal and Drug Administration Apparently they've decided to recall some acne treatment products over benzene levels. I have no idea. I know what acne treatment products are, but I don't know what the problem is with benzene levels. And I'm sure you can explain it to my audience. Is this a big deal?
Speaker 6: Yes, I'm happy to explain it. Well, it's good for consumers.
Speaker 4: To know about, for sure, of course.
Speaker 6: So benzel peroxidism and over the counter acne treatment, it's in a lot of spot treatments for acne. And about a year ago, there was an independent lab that kind of put this out that many acne treatments that you can buy over the counter actually had the breakdown products of benzene in these in these containers, which is a known unfortunately a known carcinogen. So so the FDA recently made out this statement. Just last week, they did their own independent test and and although they actually found a lot less more contaminated than the third party lab found, there were a few products that still had levels of benzene and those companies have voluntarily issued recalls.
Speaker 2: This This must have freaked out a lot of teenagers, many of whom deal with ACNE. I assume the world, the world would have spread like wildfire amongst you know, middle schools and and high schools. Should parents who might be listening to they need to do anything now in response to this if their son or daughter was used. We're using any of these products.
Speaker 6: Well, not necessarily. I benzene is all around us, So that's one thing to kind of take into account. You know, it's in car exhaust, it's a byproduct of gasoline, and so it's not like we're not exposed to it into our in our everyday lives. It's all about you know, limiting exposure especially and knowing what you're exposed to. So I definitely did get things in my you know, my on TikTok and Instagram about people you know that we're kind of hyped up about this, and I totally understand that. I think for now, the most reasonable thing to do would be not to purchase the ones that the FDA's I would trust the FDA's tests more than the third party test. So there are a few products that kind of stood out, like the leoche pos e faclaire duo, another proactive which is a very popular one that has some name recognition. But if if if you have those products at home or they're close to their expiration date, especially because a lot of the products kind of break down over time or as they get closer to their expiration date, then it would make sense to avoid using avoid using them at that time.
Speaker 2: Sure. Sure, So benzene does that have a a benzine? Does it have? Is it is? It? Is it on the periodic table? It is? Is this some sort of a chemical that actually can have some positive use or does it just appear as byproduct? Uh? And it's a dangerous by product?
Speaker 6: It's it's that's exactly right, it's a dangerous byproduct. Okay, it's it's a chemical breakdown of benzyl peroxide in this case, which benzyl peroxide you know, is a safe and good to use active ingredient that has antibiotic properties and anti insulimmatory property, so really good for acne. But the breakdown benzene, that's just a it's a chemical that's kind of out there that has negative effects for humans.
Speaker 2: So this is not a chemical that is put into a product in a small amount.
Speaker 6: And no, no, it's like a breakdown. Usually it breaks down at like high temperatures or so in this lab, the initial lab that did the tests, that the products were supposed to really high temperatures, which is not what you're normally doing, right, You're not putting There were even jokes online like I'm not putting my acne cream baking it in the oven at four hundred and fifty degrees right, So how was just like a real risk. But having said that, having said that, of course when they did the when they did the repeat testing, they found that there were some products that actually had them at low levels, just kind of as they exist normally, right, like if it's in your shower or on your bathroom sink. There were still some products that had some low levels.
Speaker 2: This comes back to announcer, prevention is worth a pound of cure. Why do you want to us with something like this if you know about it. I'm sure the companies aren't thrilled to take products or recall products, but can they not produce the products in a way that this benzene is not produced, is not created as a by product. I assume I have to go back and maybe reconfigure the acne me medication, the acne treatment. But let's do it safely. I assume that's the lesson.
Speaker 6: Here, right, Yes, I absolutely agree, and it was, you know, and they actually issued the voluntary recalls of their own products, which was was a nice thing to do and the responsible thing to do. So that wasn't an fd you know, it was an FDA mandated recall or anything. But they the companies themselves had retailer based recall, so that means they took them out of the stores. It's not like, you know, they're messaging people and saying, Okay, if you have this, you got to take it back or get rid of it or anything like that. But they just remove them from the stores until they can figure out how to safely produce them without benzine by products.
Speaker 2: Sounds great. Well, look, thank you very much for explaining it. And is there a place that people could go to get more information on this? Is there a news article or some journal that if parents are concerned or just google benzene levels, products with benzene levels and they'll find some news stories.
Speaker 6: Yes, I will. Yeah, the FDA website itself actually has the list of the products that did come back for benzene. It's important to know also a lot of the products were tested and did not have it. So probably if I was a concern parent, I would just say, let you know, let me look on this website and see what not to buy, and then everything else is you know, more fair game.
Speaker 2: Okay, So just go to the FDA website and look for products with benzene levels or just google something like that and you'll find it. I assume it correct.
Speaker 6: Yes, the FDA benzene acting product. Yes, absolutely sounds great.
Speaker 2: Doctor Mustafa, thank you very much for your time and thank you for what you do. We will talk again, I suspect, thanks.
Speaker 6: So much, thank you, thanks a lot.
Speaker 2: You're very welcome when we get up. When we get back. A lot of people talk about spring cleaning. Today is the first day of spring. It's not Tomorrow's the first full day. It came in this morning at I guess five oh one here in the Boston area. But you don't have to just think about spring cleaning as dusting and cleaning up. Sweeping in your house. Does another sort of spring cleaning that we're going to talk with Nick Burns about. He's a Google tech expert. We'll talk to him on the other side of the break. You listen in nightside on WBZ, Boston's news radio. We're ten thirty on your AM dial. If you're driving anywhere east of the Mississippi River and have stumbled upon us on your car radio, lock us in. You also can pull down the iHeart app. The new and improved iHeart app very easy to download onto your devices and then set WBZ as your first preset, and that way we will always be right there at your fingertip wherever you are in this wide world of ours. Three hundred and sixty five days a year, twenty four to seven, we'll be back and we're going to give you some tips on maybe how to clean up your desk. I'm looking at a messy desk right now, and maybe clean up the files on the floor. You'll get the drift. We'll be back with Nick Burns in just a couple of minutes. Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio. All right, welcome back as we head through the eight o'clock hour. Here, we're going to talk when you think about spring. Spring arrived today at five o't one in the morning, and I know that all of us when you think about spring, one of the things you think about is spring cleaning, which of course means dusting and straightening up and all of that. But there's another sort of spring cleaning that you might think about, and that is what's around you with us. As Nick Burns, he's a Google tech expert. Nick, I'm all ears. I'd love to know one of the top trends, tips and tools for tidying up all the areas of your life.
Speaker 4: Go right ahead, Yeah, you've got it. Thank you so much for having me. Well, as you said, spring is the season of renewal, and we're seeing that many people are searching for ways to clean and organize their home, focus on their health and fitness, refresh their wardrobes, and some are even looking for a new job.
Speaker 2: So if we talk about this is a wide variety of changes. I don't associate new jobs with the Spring. I do associate new jobs with January. Why do you throw jobs into this? I thought you were going to talk about not only maybe cleaning your home, but also tidying up a little bit. I mean, if you could see my task, if you could see my floor, the files with flours, and you can never get them exactly the way you want them. Do you have any tips for people like me on how to I have files, and I have boxes and files, and and I kind of know where everything is, but every once in a while, where the heck did I put that?
Speaker 4: Go right ahead, Nick, you and me, both you and me both well, I can tell you you're not alone. Search of interest in decuttering has hit a five year high in twenty twenty five, and minimalism in particular was the top trending search in the past week, and how to decutter where it was one hundred and forty percent in the past month alone. So people are really looking for help here in Massachusetts specifically, people are looking for ways to organize their kitchen more than any other room. And one of the really best things I always go to personally is YouTube. And actually, if you go to YouTube today and you click the little logo, they're doing a whole special highlighting all these creators who who do clean with Me videos and they've had over two hundred and fifty million views of those videos in the past year. So it's a lot of people are looking for great advice and it's YouTube is a great place to find it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So that takes care of cleaning up our office in desk area, and you talked about people also decide to, I guess clean up their their resume and start to circulate their resume from maybe some new jobs, a fresh start again. I'm surprised that at the miriddle of the year people are thinking that. But that's okay. What other sort of ventures are people prompted to participate in, engage and engage in, or initiate because we have come to the end of winter. What else are people thinking of doing? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Absolutely so.
Speaker 5: Spring self care rose more than two hundred percent in the past month, along with self care ideas, which I'm always a fan of. And you know, sleep hygiene also hit an all time high in twenty twenty five, and people are searching for how to improve quality of sleep one in one hundred and forty percent more this month than they were last month. So, you know, when it comes to sleep, I think that that really is the basis for so much of how we start our day and how we feel throughout the day, our in our health. And one of the best ways you can do that is you know, I wear the pixel Watch three to bed every night, and you know, it has these advanced sensors that kind of measure all sorts of things throughout the night, like your skin temperature and your heart rate to really tell you how how well you're sleeping. And in the morning you get like this really cool score and a bunch of metrics about how much time you spent in each type of stage of sleep. And I'm a big data nerd, so this is like really fun for me to see every morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a data guy too. I don't know if they call myself a data nerd, but I'm a data guy and I've seen some of those, and to be honest with you, I don't buy a lot of those. I I think when you get up in the morning, most people know if they've had a good night's sleep. I mean, look, one of the things that people if they want to improve this sleep is not drink as much. I mean I can tell you that, you know, yeah, it was really true. And those are the and also if you can calm your mind, which I've tried to do. I work on Nick from eight to midnight, and I do four hours in the radio and sometimes we get into heated subjects, okay, And at midnight, my day is over, the new day is starting, and I haven't slept and you got to calm down, and I do the crossword puzzles out of the newspapers. I actually still get a written news handheld newspaper, and I try to do the crossword puzzles, and sometimes that really relaxes me, and I feel I get a better night's sleep if it's a little shorter, if it's only six or seven hours, as opposed to trying to go to bed and not have a RESTful night sleep. For me, that half hour doing a crossword puzzle and giving up when I'm tired, that helps me. Now I don't have a pixel watch on it. I can't prove it to you, but I can tell you it helps. Does that make any sense to you as somebody who who I'm sure follows what people do and what people don't do.
Speaker 4: Oh? Absolutely, you know.
Speaker 5: I think everybody has their their kind of rituals before they go to bed at night. And the thing about the pixel Watch three is, you know, you get a score in the morning and you say, okay, I didn't maybe I didn't sleep that well. It'll actually fit fit up, will give you tips to say, okay, here are certain ways that you can kind of have good sleep hygiene and like turn off your phone, stop looking at your phone a couple hours before you go to bed, read a book, you know, do a crossword puzzle. Things like that that are really gonna relax you and help you have kind of a nice regular routine and mitual before going to bed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I got a really regular routine I work with. If the show does it in until eleven fifty eight, ten, so late night, Well it is, but it's also intellectually your mind is running. That's my problem, and you shut it down when the last caller ends and you sign off. Everything is done. All you got to do then is do you know a little tidying up and you're all set. But it's it's tough. It's like people ending work at five o'clock and saying, no, you're not going to drive home. You have to sleep. Now, here's a bed, go to bed. Tough you do. Do you have a regular schedule? Are you a nine to five guy and you can you can get that time between five and whenever you go to bed to kind of kick back and relax a little bit, or are you is your schedule all over the place?
Speaker 5: Oh, you know, that's a good question.
Speaker 4: I'd have to say, I'm a little bit all over the place. You know, I'm one of those people that kind of tries to pack as much as I can. And in the day, you know, go to the gym early in the morning, before work, go to work till about you know, five, six, seven, and then come home and have a nice dinner and by then I'm in bed by ten. That's kind of nice.
Speaker 2: Well, hopefully listening to Night's I only kidding. My most successful days are the days that I have the courage and the energy to get up, don't eat breakfast, go to the gym first. That if that should be that should be the key rule of my life that I'm taking from our interview, because if you can get up and go to the gym, so can I. Nick, I'll see at the gym. Thanks so much. How can folks find you and get some other information from you? That you must have a website or somewhere we can direct people to.
Speaker 4: Oh absolutely so. For more trends, you can always go to Google dot com Fast Trends, or if you're interested in the pixel watch, you can go to the Google dot com Fast Story, where you can find a lot of wearable products that can help you sleep and fitness and off work with stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm afraid to ask how expensive are those pixel watches.
Speaker 4: They're not as bad as you would saying. We have a number of different models and the prices really range.
Speaker 5: So I think, so.
Speaker 2: You're telling me, you're telling me they're under fifty bucks, right, No, I'm only kidding. I suspect they're more than Thanks Nick, I'm just having a thanks Nick. Okay, when we get back right after the news, at the bottom of the hour, we're going to talk about something that does impact your sleep negatively, and that is drinking. We're going to talk about the alcohol matrix. We have a guest who's an author, former alcoholic and PhD in psychology, Dustin dunbar awaits the other side of the eight thirty news here on Nightside, my name is Dan Ray. Stay with us. We get lots to cover between now and midnight. I promise. Okay, you're on night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio. All right, it is funny. Last hour we talked. Last segment, we were talking about sleep and perhaps the adverse impact of alcohol when you're trying to go to sleep. I mean, it keeps your mind active with us as Dustin Dunbar. He's an author, former alcoholic and a PhD in psychology. He's written I believe it's a book, am I correct? Called the Alcohol Matrix.
Speaker 1: Yeah you're doing great, and other lies alcohol told me.
Speaker 2: Alcohol told me, oh, oh you're doing great, and other lies alcohol told me. Okay, I get that. I see in quotes here alcohol matrix a web of lies and illusions that kept Dustin and many others trapped for years. Where does the phrase alcohol matrix come from?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's basically we're changing people's consciousness. So any Grace is the leading all time author of alcohol addiction book sales that were a million sold, and her and I are teaming up and guaranteeing that people will learn to control alcohol or become alcohol free within six months. And it's all about getting them out of the alcohol matrix, which is the consciousness that is saying that alcohol is the elixir of life, that you needed to have more fun, to sleep better, to have better sex, to do all these things, to go to parties, to do sporting events, and it's all just total total consciousness raising myths. You know that we get through and then everybody that we've had used the two books within the six months have either completely learned to control alcohol or gone alcohol free.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I think everybody knows what alcohol free means, and I have friends of mine. As a matter of fact, former Mayor of Boston, Marty Walsh, is admitted publicly that he was an alcoholic, and I guess also alcoholics always say once you're an alcoholic, even though when you get rid of it, you're always an alcoholic. I get that. I have a lot of friends of mine who are in AA IF I understand the idea of getting rid of it and just saying you know this, I'm getting this out of my life. How more difficult is it to utilize it but keep it under control? Because so many of my friends have made that one mistake one night, had a couple too many got behind a car and did something really dumb, got behind the wheel of a car. How is it more difficult to kick the habit or to control the habit? Is my question?
Speaker 1: Dustin in your opinion, Yeah, everybody's different. Everybody's individual. And I don't use the word alcoholic at all needed as any grace, and we use alcohol free because the myth is that once you are an alcoholic, you always are. And that's just absolutely not true. I have at zero cravings. It's just like somebody who'd smoke two packs of cigarette to day and later it was like, oh my god, I can't believe it used to do that. I stunk, I felt terrible. It was totally brainwashed everything like that. Whenever I see the best wine, beer, whatever, all I see is the amount of ethanol by volume. So ethanol is a scientific term for alcohol. And whenever we start saying ethanol versus alcohol, it takes away all of big Alcohol's brainwashing that they've done to us. And you're like, oh my god, why would you drink ethanol right versus alcohol? So you whatever, you have a bottle of wine up there, and it's like thirteen percent ethanol in there. You can put your finger up on the bottle and show, okay, there's thirteen percent ethanol that I'm going to put in my body if I drink this, and it's just a total different way, and then you're cure. And that's what we talk about. The magic till. Everybody wants the magic till these days, and the magic till is that we're completely using science and changing people's consciousness and we're not blaming the person for becoming addicted to a one hundred perc addictive substance.
Speaker 2: How did you get rid of the monkey or off your back or whatever you however you want to call it? Different people call it different things, and I want to use language that you're comfortable with. How did you become alcohol free?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, Annie Grace was my morpheus, if you will, with the matrix, and she just got my consciousness to agree to where we all know that ethanol alcohol is horrible for us, and we're like, oh jeez, yeah, but we're still doing it. It's kind of our crutch. It's our way to unwind all these things, right. But then there's this other side that we're like, what, I can still do it. I can handle it all these other other things. So the key to this is is to get both sides and have the cognitive dissonance. Is what is the problem where you're fully conscious that this stuff is ethanol and ethanol is poison. It's toxic, it's one hundred percent and addictive. Nobody can handle their ethanol. I don't care if you're the biggest, baddest, you know, New Zealand rugby player. Ever, once enough ethanol is consumed, you will get addicted.
Speaker 2: So help me out. And I probably am ignorant when I'm asking this question. Why are you interchanging? And I have not read your material, so forgive me for that. But why are you interchanging the word alcohol with ethanol?
Speaker 1: Or Yeah, like I said, that's the scientific word for so it's the same substance. Alcohol and ethanol are the exact same thing. But what big alcohol companies have done is such a wonderful job of brainwashing us with the word alcohol that it's this elixir and that it's fun and enjoy it and all this stuff. You gotta have it and you can drink it, no problems, two glasses a day, responsibly, moderately, socially. Exactly what I did, and of course I got I got addicted. Sothanol is the is what it is, and then we change people's way of thinking about it.
Speaker 2: It's funny when you say ethanol to me. I'll tell you what I think. Okay, I think about a oh, a gas station that the ethanol I think in gasoline is there not?
Speaker 1: Yes, So ethanol what it is is the byproduct of fruits and vegetables. So the ethanol that you see in gasoleene, it's mostly from corn is where they get thatthanol. Yeah, so you're that's the exact same product that you go up to the gas station and you're like, oh, I'm not putting there's ten ethanol in that gas. I'm not putting that in my motor. Well, then just later you go to a place and you get your order whiskey, and it's fortythanol in the same thing, and you're putting it in your brain, your body, your spirit, and it's pure toxic poison.
Speaker 2: And so that's great way to look at it. I gotta tell you, Dustin, you have explained it very well to me. If my questions seemed ignorant, it was because, frankly, I had never made that connection. I thank you for making that connection for me and my audience. How can folks get your book? You're doing great and otherwise alcohol told me how I assume Amazon and all the typical sites if they're interested in getting the book for themselves or for a friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dustin dash dunbar dot com and you can pick up Annie Grace's book and my book right there. All the links are there, so Dustin Dash dunbar dot com.
Speaker 2: The U S T I N Dash. I assume that's like a hyphen dunbar dou n b a r dot com the alcohol free gu all right, Hey, Dustin, I enjoyed the conversation. I learned something from our conversation. I appreciate it very much. Take you taking the.
Speaker 1: Time dumb questions, I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: I happened. I happen to believe that too, because I learned that when I was in law school many many years ago, the only dumb questions were the questions that I didn't have the courage to ask, because often those are the questions they came up on the midterm or the final exam. So I am totally with you, and that's why I guess this is why I do this job. I'm not embarrassed to ask a question if I don't know the answer, because if I don't know the answer, I choose not to ask the question. I'll never know the answer, will I Thanks, Dustin, I appreciate it very much.
Speaker 1: We'll take care.
Speaker 2: Bye bye. When we come up, we have one final guest tonight, and we are going to talk about a huge problem that probably we need to focus on much more. And that is a nursing shortage here in New England and a nursing shortage nationwide. And I know I have many listeners, including one specific nurse who is always listening. Uh. And I want to dedicate this segment to every nurse who's listening to us night Side. We've heard about doctors shortages, but the shortage of nurses might even be statistically worse. Think about it. We're coming back with a great guest. Now back to Dan ray Line from the window World of night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio. All right, let's talk to my next guest here. Her name is Dina Redding Girl. She's the executive. She's an executive NBA with thirty five years of experience in healthcare, author of a book entitled Healing Healthcare, Evidence Based Strategies for Mending Our Broken System. Well, she wrote that, by the way, with Sharon Weinstein, who is a registered nurse. Look, we have some problems with our medical system in this country. I still think it's the best of any in the world. But I will tell you, Dina, we have a huge doctor shortage here in Boston. We like to think of ourselves as the medical capital. And when I say Boston, I mean Greater Boston, which makes up about half of New England. And there's a nursing shortage. I've seen it myself recently when I've had friends who were in hospitals and or rehabilitation centers. What happened? How did this happen? I mean, did everybody decide to retire at COVID? Was that what happened?
Speaker 3: I'm serious, I said no, it's very First off, Dan, thank you for having me. And this is a critical issue that we have. I mean, this is so big and people really need to wake up. And we've had this problem before. What's exacerbated was the COVID situation, and we continue to have this problem, except it's worse now. We've got nurses that are leaving because they're fatigued, they're burned out, they're overworked, they're overwhelmed. There's incivility, and they're staff shortages and they are frantic, but they're just they're shaking head and going, I can't take this anymore, and we lose our nurse. The nurses, you know, is the person who's the voice of you, the patient, but they're also the collaborator with the physician who's going to help make decisions about your care. So this is critical, very critical time.
Speaker 2: It's totally critical. Now the shortage is it standard across the country or are there some areas just focusing on the nursing shortage where it's greater than ever. Is it rural communities or is it urban areas? Where is it? Where's this nursing shortage the most critical?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: First off, it's everywhere. So I'm just going to say that when we do have the outlying areas that we have, you know, when you start looking at nurses that are falling out and quitting, you know, it affects everybody. Across the United States. There are forty two states according to the Beckers Hospital Review, that have closed. You know a lot of medical centers have closed. Forty two medical centers have closed this last year. So and they're they're everywhere they can be, rule they can be inside of you know, the main suburbs of our city.
Speaker 4: So it's it's a critical issue.
Speaker 3: And it's just going to get worse. So we see it everywhere.
Speaker 2: So are there not enough nurses coming out of nursing schools? I mean, I know that there's a lot of nursing schools. Do they need to move more women. I know that a lot of people, men and women have decided to become let's see physician's assistance. I think is the friends pas uh is that considered to be, you know, a higher calling than being a nurse. I can't imagine anything that is a higher calling than being.
Speaker 4: A nurse now.
Speaker 3: I think the nurse is one of the most trusted careers that in the United States and really across the world. And according to the American Nurse Foundation. You know, when we look at this shortage, now, we've got a lot of nurses that are leaving, but we also have a lot of people that are interested in being a nurse. But yet we have a huge number of you know, nurses who are being denied getting into school because there's not enough nurses to actually teach the academic side of nursing. Then we get into the problem of we've got a lot of nurses that have been nurses for a long time they've decided to kind of throw up their hands or saying I'm done. I've had my share of nursing. I love it, but it's time for me to go. And we see all of that knowledge leaving, you know, with all of the older nurses. Now we've got new nurses that are trying to come out being new nurses. But then we don't even have the schools being able to take on the nurses who even want to meet nurses because of the academic shortage and that knowledge loss. So we've got a great, big chunk of knowledge that is leaving, and people don't understand when you leave that, you know, that nurse knowledge leaves, it's hard to find that and get that back.
Speaker 4: So it's a critical time.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm a math guy. I'm a math guy. So my question is we've had a period of you know, decades where the uh, the number of children babies that are being born is not at the rate that it used to be back in the day of a family. Now of three is considered a large of three children is considered wow, three children, whereas in the old days that you had to get the double digits before anyone really noticed. And you also had this aging population they're my group called the baby boomers. So those two mathematical sets of statistics, a huge wave of boomers now going through their seventies and into their eighties, with a smaller population coming behind. Is that a mathematical fact factor that has to be considered here.
Speaker 3: Yes, And on top of that, what we have as far as the statistics through the American Nurse Foundation is also stating that, you know, new nurses are deciding to get out and they've only been a nurse for two years. So you take those numbers that you just talked about, and you talk about new nurses coming out, they're not confident. We don't have enough preceptors right now. And you know, Jen Riggins, who is part of the Virginia second Congressional District, has got a bill out there called the Precept Nurses Act, and it's a seven year pilot program that they're trying to get passed through to be able to create a gap here, you know, something that will fill that gap for new hires nurses who need more knowledge so that it can precept the students and actually help also those advanced practitioner candidates as well. So there's some things that are happening, but you know, the numbers are striking when you.
Speaker 4: Look at all of it.
Speaker 3: There's so many things that are happening right now, and new nurses if they don't stay. You know, Sharon and I predicted in twenty years there won't be any healthcare.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me ask you this. You use the word with which I'm unfamiliar and I when I don't know a word? What does preceptor mean? What does is that a term of art? Yeah, in the nursing community, explain what that means?
Speaker 3: Now, preceptor is like a mentorship, right, So, nurses who want to be preceptors for other nurses, they have to go through a very rigorous training to do that. Most of the preceptors have to do a lot of extra training that's on their own expense. And if this bill passes, it really allows these preceptors to realize a two thousand dollars tax credit. So I think, you know, the society needs to know how can we help nurses too? You know, you can help by getting involved with your state, you know, local people that are part of you know that your congressional district, and try to help push some of this agenda of making sure that we retain this key knowledge that we're using at a vast rate right now.
Speaker 2: Right, But if let's say some veteran nurses would like to be mentors to some mentees who are interested. Why do we even have to have government involved in it. Why don't we just say to those nurses, hey, you go ahead, you go and help whoever you can help, give them some insight into the field. I mean, what's you know, if someone wants to become a golfer and they want to go and take some golf lessons, we don't need a congressional you know study on that. Well, you just got golf, you know.
Speaker 5: We do.
Speaker 3: You know, you've got to have You know, these nurses that have been nurses for a really long time, they have been screaming for somebody to listen to them for so long. We've missed the boat. We've got to wake up. We've got to be able to create the environment for these nurses so they can stay. They've been shouting this from the mountaintops for a really long time, and you know, they're just to this point that they're shaking their hands and they're saying, we've got to get some help, wake up world help.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, keep us posted as to anything we can do. Your book, Healing Healthcare, Evidence Based Strategies for Mending our Broken System, Dina reading Er, thank you so much. Thanks for talking about this tonight. I'd love to do it again, so Le Sucky, we would love.
Speaker 6: To do that too.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, and you can go to diagnosticsthinking dot com if you want some other resources. Take care and thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: You're welcome. Dan. When we get back right after the nine o'clock news, I'm going to talk to you about the strangest, weirdest story that I have seen in years, and it happened in Waterbury, Connecticut. Why do you hear this story? You won't believe it