Speaker 1: One thing about this gene is the invisible and tangibles that they have.
Speaker 2: This teen is really becoming a family.
Speaker 3: Let's not play one on Tom.
Speaker 4: Let's lend it.
Speaker 5: I love writing me these guys after the show.
Speaker 6: So just thank you.
Speaker 7: Give me are your attention, your fire, not a pisson.
Speaker 8: This is world champion Dodgers, world champion thing.
Speaker 9: Put a small soft time they get up people. What they want to die in a row two is special.
Speaker 8: I'm like, yeah, it's not a headache.
Speaker 9: One of the con This ball's gone. You ready to go?
Speaker 8: Hell time, go to the su grab your phone to get in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven.
Speaker 9: And go to the show.
Speaker 8: And now your host of Dodger Talk, David Vasse.
Speaker 9: We are live at Dodger Stadium after the Angels defeat the Dodgers in Game one of the Freeways series. Welcome the Dodger Talk. David Vass with you until eleven thirty tonight, taking your phone calls at eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy. The Dodgers frustrating night for their offense tonight. You don't see many times where the Dodgers will hit into five double plays. In fact, the last time the Dodgers grounded into five double plays was all the way back in August of twenty fifteen. That's when they grounded into five double plays in a one nothing win over the Reds in Cincinnati on August twenty seventh, twenty fifteen. Well, they tied that franchise record tonight as they grounded into double plays in the first inning, the second inning, the fifth inning, the seventh inning, and finally the eighth inning and just really a little bit of bad luck where you hit the ball hard right at somebody, but that still counts as an out, and there were double plays and that killed rallies. Eight six, six, nine, eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number coming up At eleven, Jose Moto will join us, and also in this show tonight, we'll give you an update a clear picture on when Tommy Edmund and Taoscar Hernandez will return. As you know, tomorrow is the season debut of Clayton Kershaw. So many of you have asked why does he keep doing this and why does he keep pitching? Well, he loves the game of baseball, and he's not ready to say goodbye. You heard the conversation with Kershaw last night. If you did not, it's on the iHeartRadio app. But basically, he told us that he doesn't want an injury to set him into retirement. He wants to go out on his own terms, like many athletes do. A lot of times athletes don't have that choice. The game makes the choice for them. But Kershaw had left knee and left foot surgery during this past offseason to come back at some point this year and contribute to the Dodgers trying to win a second World Series championship. And don't think this is Kershaw's last rodeo. This is not necessarily Kershaw's last dance. I'm not saying that he will pitch next year. But for anybody to believe that this is the last season Kershaw plans on pitching, they haven't talked to him. There's a lot of different factors that will go into whether or not Clayton Kershaw wants to pitch another season in Major League baseball. This is his eighteenth season. Remember, his major league debut is right here in June of two thousand and eight against the Cardinals. It's now eighteen seasons ago that Kershaw made his major league debut here at Dodger Stadium, and it's gonna be fun to see him tomorrow night here at Dodger Stadium. And like I said, it wouldn't be the same without Kershaw. It's something that you know, you feel like there's some normalcy in the baseball world when he's making a start for the Dodgers every five days. And I know he told Major League Baseball Network yesterday that maybe if you asked him two or three years ago, how much did it mean to him to end his career with the Dodgers, he would have said, maybe not at the very top of my list. But now it means everything to me to finish my career pitching only for the Dodgers. Eight six, six nine, eight seven, two five seventy is the phone number. So as we go through the show between now and eleven thirty, your thoughts on Kershaw coming back and pitching again for an eighteenth season. I'm all in for as long as he wants to pitch. I'm all in. I don't see why anybody should say, you know what, Nah, I don't think we want a future Hall of Famer, a guy that raises the level of intensity of everybody, by the way he leads, by his work ethic, and just him being around. That's one part part of it, but also a guy that competes on the mound and finds a way to win. There's certain pitchers that find ways to win games, and there are certain pitchers that find ways to lose games. And tonight I felt like Dustin May found a way to lose the game. I mean, this was set up perfectly for the Dodgers to be able to jump all over the Angels, but right away Dustin May gives up a two run home run to Joann Mankata. He strikes out Zach Nato to start the game. He walks Shan Well in front of Mankata, and then Mankatta jumps all over our first pitch fastball, and he lets his emotions get the best of him. But to me, what really hurt Dustin May and what he really did to lose this game came in the fourth inning. Inexcusable to hit the eight to nine hitters, especially on the Angels. Matthew Lugo hit by a pitch. Tim Anderson. Yeah, that Tim Anderson is on the Angels, hitting ninth and batting one ninety seven coming into the game tonight, May promptly hits him as well. So you just hit back to back hitters, eight nine hitters after giving up a one out single to Luis Renhifho, and now you flip the lineup over and the Angels best hitter, Zach Netto is going to make you pay like he did a two run double. So those are ways where you lose the game. And Dustin May now is one in four this season. I know everybody wants to downplay win loss records. You know, I'm not gonna downplay win loss records, especially when you have an ERA of four forty three. It would be one thing if may Zra was under three, but it's not. Let's head downstairs right now to here from Dustin May.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was kind of all around bad. I'm kind of glad they were swaying because if they weren't, I might not have gotten out. So it was it was good that they were attempting to hit it because I wasn't throwing very many strikes.
Speaker 8: Why do you think that was? Was that just kind of something you were feeling for yourself personally and kind of through this one?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean the bullpen pre game was very good. Just felt out of Saint Ottaway this weird night.
Speaker 3: Justin ninety five pitches.
Speaker 10: So, I mean, how satisfying is it for you, though, to get out there and get that number of pitches, you know, in consecutive starts.
Speaker 6: No, I mean it's good to be able to get out and get reps. I definitely wish I could contribute a little bit better than I'm contributing right now. Hopefully it turns around, but definitely not doing what I expect out of myself right now.
Speaker 5: But did it seem in eight strikeouts obviously as good stuff out there?
Speaker 3: Was it? Just like, man, any mistake I'm making right now?
Speaker 6: They're hitting No, I mean they were swaying.
Speaker 7: At pitches that were.
Speaker 6: Not really great. So, like I said, I'm glad they were swinging at him because I didn't throw her in many competitive stretch tonight.
Speaker 2: Hey, you look at batter wise, guys are different witted it so well though. I love them to get this one today.
Speaker 6: And they put the ball in play when it was a strike and hit it hard.
Speaker 9: All right. The best questions came from our guys Stevie Hartman, who is down there on the field right now for KTLA five, Dustin May, tell me why you hit two batters? Eight nine hitters? Yep, that was Steve Hartman's voice. Anyway. Not a good night for Dustin May. And he's that type of guy, stand up guy that's hard on himself and it's gonna tell you how it was. And he's self evaluated perfectly. But that's what also separates the good pictures from the mediocre pictures. The knights where you don't have your best stuff, the nights where you don't feel your best. That's what separates the great ones from the good ones and the mediocre ones. Sandy Kofex always used to say that, you know it's easy when I had my curveball going, Uh, those were easy nights. The nights where I didn't have my fastball command, the nights where I didn't have a feel for my curveball, those were more nights than not. And those are the nights that you have to grind it out. And tonight Dustin May was not able to limit the mistakes. Eight six, six nine, eight seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Ezekiel. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi Ezekiel, My.
Speaker 10: Favorite part of the game the Freeway series was when uh show that home run and this is my first Freeway series from really happy.
Speaker 9: Oh that's great. I'm glad you got to see an Otaani home run. I know the Dodgers lost tonight, but always fun to see a show. Hey, o Tani home run. Thanks for the phone call, Ezekiel. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number, and with that home run, it gives Otani sixteen on the season. He came into the game tonight tied for the major league lead with Aaron Judge and Kyle Schwarber at fifteen. O'tanni now has sixteen, one more than those guys. Let's go out to Danny, who also is at the Dodger game. How you doing, Danny?
Speaker 5: Weal Joms great day. Thanks for getting me on tonight.
Speaker 9: Do what I can Doey just call me the dream Maker.
Speaker 5: Oh you are man, dream Maker, dam Shaker Jay Matty one and only brother. Yeah, it stinks to lose to the Angels. You know it's the ball teams and Dailey Danson voted it out not the funnest night, but I wanted to ask you about H. I don't want to go back in time, but I want to ask you about Austin Barnes. Just something I was considering. Know, it's I get it, it's it's it's great. It was very sad to see him go. H. It's great to see this new phase of Dodger baseball with rushing and Kim. You know, it's really exciting to see that. And you know, it's just how it goes. Sometimes you got to say goodbye to the old, familiar faces, the guys you love. But here's the thought I had regarding Austin Barnes. You know, he he knows all the secrets. He knows, you know, it's where all the bodies are buried. And if you're a team, say like the Phillies or the Mets, the Diamondbacks, I mean, that might be a guy you might want to pick up and get on your roster, uh, you know, for for future games, for the games to come. And I just kind of want to get your thoughts on that, because because my idea is he is, he's gonna sign somewhere, something's gonna pick him up. And that's the kind of team that you know might be interested in getting that player on their roster because he knows stuff. Well, what do you think about.
Speaker 2: That, David?
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's fine if you know stuff, but can you execute what you know is another part of it, right, I mean, the Dodgers have a lot of talent. You know, there's a lot of teams in the division that are still very familiar with the Dodgers, with or without Austin Barnes. But yeah, that's that's something that's been bantied about. I'm sure Danny from other teams like, hey, what does he know? What can he share as far as scouting reports go that can maybe give us an edge. Yeah, I'm not saying that's not something that teams aren't discussing, But I feel like the Dodgers could still overcome it.
Speaker 5: They could overcome anything, I'm sure, but not.
Speaker 9: Worried about that. I mean, what secrets could he give them? Like their signs are via PitchCom now, so it's not really, you know, a sign stealing situation, But obviously he knows a lot of tendencies and things like that, and maybe they want to know how the Dodgers do things as far as game planning goes. So yeah, I would say it's something they're discussing for sure. What was your favorite Austin Barnes moment or were you a Barnes fan? Because I've taken phone calls for the last three years about how bad Austin Barnes was, even though that was irrational, thinking, are you now a pro Barnes guy?
Speaker 5: Oh, I've been an ardent Austin Barnes supporter for years nowadaves, He's been one of my favorite Dodgers. I was sad to see him go. You know, he had a lot of big hits for the club. I can remember the game five of the twenty seventeen World Series he got a rally started with a big base hit. He got base hits in twenty twenty. I mean, I was at the game last year, the Austin Barnes game. I think hit a hole run of the eighth inning or something. They won, like one to zero or two to one. He's a great player, man, He's an unheralded, underrated player, and I think he has a lot to give to a club. And I'd love to see him back with the Dodgers one day. But I can't say, hey, man, I'd be sad to see him in the Phillies or Mechino for him telling them all at tendency is telling them doc secrets because you know, you want to see Austin Barnes come up in a clutch moment against the Dodgers later this year. I'm seeing the future. Man, Just worry, that's all.
Speaker 9: I love Austin. But yeah, that that seems a little extreme right there, Danny, You're you're letting your imagination get a little wild there. Appreciate the phone call, but yeah, you're right. Great memory on some of the hits that Austin Barnes had, but his value was being such a great receiver behind the plate and really understanding that. Yeah, we had a pregame game plan, but right now what I'm seeing is I need to go to this direction or this pitch or maybe not give up on this pitch. That's what he was good at and that's what pitchers over the years with the Dodgers told me about Austin Barnes. And he was a fierce competitor. And you know, I'll say this, I've exchanged a few texts with Austin. You don't want to talk about him like he died. He did not die. It feels like people are acting like Austin Barnes died. He did not die. He's doing really well, his health is in great condition. He just got defaded by the Dodgers. Okay, he's he's not He's not dead. I guess like this was a peek into Austin Barnes eulogy one day, you know, really far down the road. But yeah, he did not die. Eight six, six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to West La. Trey, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Trey, David.
Speaker 3: The dream Maker, appreciate you taking my call.
Speaker 9: That's right, just made your dreams come true, Trey.
Speaker 3: You know I always try to call in with something interesting. I really tried to call last night. I think what I have to say is still ap with Poe this game. You know, it got away, too many double plays. You know, May hits the guys eight nine, and you know it is what it is, with respect what you said last night. We're pumping the brakes. We're always pumping the braakes this time of year. We've had this conversation last year. They were hitting on Taylor last year. Then it's Monty and it's Pa Has. I really just want Dodgers fans out there, we need to appreciate this team that we have historically of what we're on the customer. The window has just opened, right you know where we are. Think about teams that have been dynastic in the past, like fifty sixty years, When was the last few teams.
Speaker 9: Yeah, this is one of these teams. This team has the makings of it, for sure, especially when they get Blake Snell back to have that type of pitching staff that everybody was hoping for, no doubt about it. But you know, you can't make decisions about players after two weeks. And that was what I was trying to explain. You know, everybody wanted to cut Andy pa Haz after our rough first two weeks, but you know, when it clicks for a young player, you know, there's no looking back. And I feel like that's where things are right now for Andy pa Has.
Speaker 3: And I totally agree. And I got a little interesting stat here for you. And I know you know baseball more than I do, but as a fellow baseball fan, a numbers nerd as stat geek, when we're looking at what this window we have right now, what were the tak last two three peaks that have happened in modern history.
Speaker 9: Well, the last one was the Yankees twenty five years ago.
Speaker 3: Right, ninety eight, ninety nine, two thousand and before that, Athletics seventy two, seventy three, seventy four, check this out, seventy four, the two thousand or ninety eight. Excuse me, Well, you're skipping.
Speaker 9: Your Blue Jays. Blue Jays won back to back World Series too.
Speaker 1: How about that tray talking I'm talking to you.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well the Dodgers haven't even won two yet. You're talking about three in a row. I'm talking about back to back tray.
Speaker 1: I'm talking to three in a row.
Speaker 9: Next year, We're done. You are getting so far ahead of yourself, Trey.
Speaker 1: I'm saying, we got this window. Check it out.
Speaker 3: It's twenty four years, right, it's twenty four years. From seventy four to ninety eight, and from twenty to twenty four it was twenty four years. And that's what we're witnessing right now. That's I'm just saying we should have pre numerologist.
Speaker 9: You're a numerology.
Speaker 3: I'm a little bit of a stack each in the numbers. Nerd Man I'm telling you, let's be positive, Let's be optimistic, Let's enjoy what's going on. Let's not nitpick.
Speaker 9: All right, Trey is super optimistic. Dodgers are winning three in a row. I'll save this phone call. You call back in twenty twenty six, Tray, and I will give you the victory.
Speaker 3: Lap Okay, Yes, I appreciate that.
Speaker 9: All right, Trey, thank you for the phone call. Wow, man, we have gone, I mean, the wide range of spectrum on this show from the beginning of the season to where we're at right now. The sky was falling after the Dodgers started eight and oh, they were the greatest team ever ever. They were going to break the Mariners all time regular season record of wins. They were going to win the World Series again, be the first team to go back to back against the World and dominate like the Yankees did twenty five years ago. And then all of a sudden, they have a they lose three, four in a row. Sky's falling. Get rid of Muncie, get rid of Andy Paez, and now the Dodgers back on top of the division with twenty nine wins, baseball's best record. We just got a call that they are going to win three in a row. We're talking about the Dodgers winning three in a row. Think about that. Somebody just called in and said the Dodgers are going to win three in a row. We haven't The Dodgers haven't even gotten to their back to back World series yet, and somebody's thinking about a three peat. I mean, this is a special show. I said, it's an emotional show, and I feel like I am right on and people call me emotional. I feel like I'm the voice of reason right here. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Whoo. I have to take a break from that one. Maybe I'll take my first break right now to regroup. But let's go out to Mission v A hell and Bill, Bill, I hope, uh, I hope you're not thinking about three peat right now. No.
Speaker 4: Actually, I was wondering with a little question that you know.
Speaker 9: What your voice hold on, Bill, hold bring him down? See Bill for Mission Viejo is very negative. So he's gonna bring us back to the other side of the spectrum tonight.
Speaker 4: Hi, Bill, Hi, I just wanted to know why Dave brought in the call up to keep the game close.
Speaker 3: And somebody else.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Ryan loutis in a four to two game. Uh. The reality is the Dodger bullpen, especially they're high leverage relievers, have thrown more innings and more games than anybody else in baseball. So when you're down four to two, you can't run out Kirby Yates again, you can't run out Alex Vesia. You've got to be able to use other pitchers when you're down two runs.
Speaker 4: Okay, that sounds fair. And then as far as Dustin y do you do you think he'll be in the rotation when glass Now and Snell get back or is it a.
Speaker 1: Glass in the bubble?
Speaker 9: Huh? I don't know when glass Now is going to be back, but uh, you know, and the way you know pitchers are going these days, Bill, that's a long ways away to predict whether or not Dustin May is going to be in the rotation. That's so hard to say right now. But they need him right now in the here and now. I think once they get to that point where glass Now and Snell are healthy, uh, let's see when that happens, and then we could decide where Dustin May is as far as pitching goes. But I will say this. Dustin May said in spring training he would be open to pitching out of the bullpen just to be part of this team. Right, all right, Bill, thank you for the phone call. I thought that was going to be a lot more negative than it was. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Since it is the Freeway Series and Major League Baseball has tabbed it Rivalry Weekend, they sent out a bunch of notes on every one of these geography geographic excuse me, geographic rivalries out there. Right, So, I have the Dodgers all time offensive leaders against the Angels in the Freeway Series, and breaking news, Andre Ethier owns a lot of those offensive leading categories, starting with you can't lead offensive leading categories if you don't play games. Andre Ethhier, as a Dodger, played more games against the Angels than anybody else since interleague plays started, fifty four games. He has the most hits against the Angels fifty five. He scored the most runs against the Angels twenty three. He has the most doubles against the Angels at fifteen, and he has driven in the most runs against the at twenty eight. And I wanted to hear your favorite Freeway Series moments. A couple of mine are Tim Belcher and Channho Park going at it the first year interleague play. Belcher the former Dodger wearing that ugly and unserious Perrywinkle back in the day, and Chanho Park trying to do a scissor kick on Tim Belcher running up the first base lying on a Saturday afternoon here at Dodger Stadium. Another one was Clayton Kershaw in twenty twenty two, carrying a no hitter into the eighth inning, and the other was July of twenty fifteen. Andre Ethier, who had a reputation as being mister Clutch for the Dodgers over the course of his career, was certainly clutch on that Sunday afternoon in twenty fifteen against the Angels, when not only did he give the Dodgers the lead, but then after Chris Iyanetta the game, he came back and won it for the Dodgers with a walk off home run. So here's how it went. In the eighth inning, andre Ethier broke a tie.
Speaker 11: Here's a three to one fly ball center field drop. Going back, He's got a wall and.
Speaker 12: It is gone home run, Andre Eighthier with a home run a straight away center field and the Dodgers reclaimed the lead three to two.
Speaker 9: Of course, that's the voice of the great Charlie Steiner. Then Chris Cyanetta would tie the game, but then mister clutch Andre Ethier would come back and walk it off for the Dodgers in extra innings against the Angels in the Freeway Series twenty fifteen.
Speaker 11: The one to one fly ball right field, well hit, it is back and.
Speaker 9: It is gone.
Speaker 12: Home run Andre Eighthier with a walk off home run, his seventh of his career, his fourth teenth walk off hit, and the Dodgers beat.
Speaker 9: The Angels today five to three on Andre Ethier Sunday. Oh what a shot it was into the Angel full band. Andre Ethier, mister Freeway Series. I think we can call him now with all those type of performances and leading the Dodgers all time offense against the Angels in the Freeway Series. In case you're wondering which Dodger has homerd the most against the Angels during this interleague Freeway Series, that distinction belongs to Gary Sheffield, who homered eleven times in a very short span wearing a Dodger uniform against the Angels. When we continue on Dodger Talk, we will check in with Jose Mota, we will give you an update on tom Y Edmund and Tiascar Hernandez, and we will share with you the most ridiculous traits congestion that I have heard in quite some time. And we love Jeff Passing, but he went over the top. He jumped the shark today and we'll let you know what Jeff Passen had to suggest on a national radio show TV show today. Dodgers beat the angel six to two on five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 8: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com, hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Basset.
Speaker 7: Here's the old one.
Speaker 9: Old Tani hits a high fly.
Speaker 7: Ball right center field in deep, towering shot into the batter's iron Gone. Old Tani toss the vat toward his old thugout and now rounds the basis for the sixteenth time a solo home run and the Dodgers are within two.
Speaker 9: Show Hey Otani with his major league leading sixteenth home run of the season. Tonight came with one out in the eighth inning. As the Dodgers fall to the Angels tonight by a final score of six to two. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run forecast. Go to AM five to seventy LA sports dot Com and use the keyword home run for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card predicting the number of home runs in the next game. Daniels Jewelers own The dream. Preceding Otani's home run was Hay Sung Kim making a rare act out because as he grounded out in the eighth inning, that snapped a string of nine consecutive plate appearances that Kim had reached safely. That tied Corey Seeger for the last time a Dodger rookie had reach base safely and nine consecutive plate appearances. Seeger obviously was a rookie in twenty fifteen. So Hey Sung Kim certainly making an impression. And as I said last night, I don't see any way the Dodgers could justify sending down Hay Sung Kim with the way he's playing right now and with Tommy Edmund and Taoscar Hernandez on their way back. There are still opportunities for Kim to get regular opportunities to play, especially since the Dodgers are not just gonna run Edmund and Taoscar out there every day right away coming off the IL. And speaking of those two players, Dave Roberts said earlier today that Tommy Edmund is going to come back on Sunday without playing a rehab game, but Taoscar Hernandez is going to play a rehab game for Rancho Kucamonga, who's at Sam Bernardino. And there's a very good chance that ta Oscar Hernandez returns Monday or Tuesday. The Dodgers, after they close out this weekend series with the Angels, will welcome in the Diamondbacks on Monday to close out this nine game homestand eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Speaking of Sam Bernardino, let's go out to Andrew, who's listening to the show tonight. Hi, Andrew, what's up?
Speaker 10: Dave?
Speaker 13: Think you were taking my car? I just wanted to say. I just wanted to say I work at the Quakes and I cannot wait for Dale to get there.
Speaker 9: Nice. I think he's playing, aren't you. Aren't the Quakes playing at Sam Bernardino on s.
Speaker 13: No, they're playing fifty six ers, which is Sam Bernardino. No worries, but those sam Bordinas don't have nothing against the Quakes because we'll we'll make them tremble before their family.
Speaker 9: See what you did there.
Speaker 13: Anyway, I just wanted to Saydale is a little reason why I love everything. I remember when he said to the spring training last year, say.
Speaker 3: Hi, everyone, show hey Ola.
Speaker 1: I do a wrap then anyway, I know you're.
Speaker 9: Listening to tail. Okay, Andrew, thank you for the phone call. Appreciated, very excited out there. I love it, no matter what it takes to get that excited. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna check in with Jose Mota in a moment here, But first I just wanted to lay this out. Jeff Passen was on the Pat McAfee show earlier today, and it feels like every time Passing goes on Pat McAfee's show, he's always, you know, pleading like a bleeding heart for the pirates to spend and build around Paul Skins. It's very well known that Jeff Passing loves Sesame Street's Elmo. I feel like Paul Skeins now has eclipsed his love for Elmo because he loves Paul Skin so much that he would throw out a wild trade idea today. And the thought behind Jeff Passing telling Pat McAfee that the Pirates should trade Paul's Skiings to the Dodgers is because if the Pirates could not resign or give Schemes an extension, then there's no reason to keep them and they should trade them right now. Paul's Skiings, by the way, has less than two years of service time. The Pirates will have Paul Skiings for at least four more years at minimal cost to them. So his preface is if the Pirates could not afford to extend Paul Skins now, and they can't afford to keep him when he hits free agency, then they basically should just pull the plug on their most popular player in Pittsburgh. That gets people to actually come see the Pirates and trade them to the Dodgers, who already have a loaded superstar laiden team that small market owners like the Pirates, the Rockies and the Angels detest. And here's something else. If the Pirates right now and Jeff Passing's eyes and basically all ours, would not extend Paul Skins, then how would they be able to extend three or four other players they would be receiving from the Dodgers. If they can't extend one guy, how are they going to extend three or four really good players down the road. So that's the first flaw. The second flaw is Jeff passed and floated this out that in exchange for Paul Skins, it would be realistic for the Pirates to ask for Dalton Rushing, Joseway De paula Emo Morales, and Andy pa Has. I mean, that is ridiculou. There is no way Andrew Freeman would ever do that. And it makes me believe that maybe Jeff pass In got that idea from somebody in the Paul Skeins camp to try to put pressure on the Pirates to spend around Paul Skins or maybe even give him an extension. I mean, haven't we seen enough really good pitchers get hurt, not only with the Dodgers but around the league. Eventually, I hate to say this, Paul Skeins will get hurt, and you're gonna give away four of your best young players, including a guy in Andy pie Has who has established himself. No chance that came from the Dodgers. I think that's just Jeff Passing loving Paul skin so much that he lost his mind. Today eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Look, I think Paul Skeins is phenomenal, but that makes no sense. If the Pirates can't aff a Ford Paul Skeins, how are they going to afford Andy Pajez, Dalton Rushing, Jose Way De Paula and Emilia Morales. And if only two or three of those guys hit their potential, they're gonna command a lot of dollars. I'm with Jeff Passing, though, the Pirates need to spend and be better. They are a baseball town, but they don't have a lot of good players around a really good pitching staff, and that's disappointing and sad. But to suggest that the Pirates trade Paul Skins now en of to all teams the Dodgers for those players, that's just Pat McAfee stuff right there. All right, let's check in with our guy, Jose Moda.
Speaker 8: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Moda.
Speaker 9: Jose Moda, did you hear about Jeff passing suggestion about trading Paul's schemes to the Dodgers?
Speaker 2: Of course I did, of course I did. How can you miss that he got us all talking about us, which is the intent too. So yeah, was that the intent?
Speaker 9: Or was it to bang the drum for Paul's schemes?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's obviously about Paul Skins. We know what a tremendous player he is. Dave, there's something we said about organizations like the Pirates. You have a premium talent like this, you always look to build around that. You don't know how much he's gonna cost. You know that you have control over him, and he's gonna get paid well, obviously not free agent money for the next three or four years, but he's gonna be compensated because he's a permium talent. But you have a responsibility to your franchise, to your fan base to go out and keep that talent and use revenue sharing for a reason to make your club better.
Speaker 9: No doubt. And so what's the purpose of even suggesting something like that is that to put pressure on the Pirates to try to build around Paul Skins, because certainly that suggestion did not come from the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: No, it's not coming from any of the organizations. It's coming from somebody that's been probow in baseball for a long time. And he grabs headlines. He's got obviously an end with the with the industry, but he's got people talking, and right now that's pretty much what it is right now, Dave, really, I I'm kind of done talking about it, to be honest with you.
Speaker 9: What do you mean. This is sports Talk Sports Talk Radio. That's what we do.
Speaker 1: We talk about it, so we have a longer show tonight. Yeah, we do, all right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what, No franchises have responsibility. Take care of your talent. They developed you draft number one. He's responded to the talent of the big leaguer. He's a dominant pitcher. Take care of your fans, get your team to be better, draft better, develop better, and then have something to talk about. And if it doesn't work out, then there'll be a time where you have to consider fitting him for better talent.
Speaker 9: That time is not now. Jose Mota is turning us after the Dodgers fall in Game one of the Freeway Series six to two. I felt like the fourth inning tonight was really the worst inning for Dustin May tonight. No excuse for hitting the eight to nine hitters tonight, Jose, You're only asking for trouble my guy.
Speaker 2: It was a tough night for him. He takes responsibility for it, as you heard it and as I heard it. But at some point it really comes down to saying, those three guys in the bottom have no chance against me, and those guys actually got base hits against May and the second in the second inning. Unfortunately, it happens with different type of pitches because you know when the lineup turns around, Now, Nedo's going to see you for a third time, and the whole time, I don't know if you heard me. Before the pitch, I go, Nedos is going to pull the ball here, there's no doubt he's going to pull the baseball, and he made a mistake inside of Nettle did pole. He got two RBIs. But you have to avoid they like that because it's going to come a time where a decision.
Speaker 1: Has to be made.
Speaker 2: When you're pitching, death gets a little bit deeper, and you want to make sure that you are in the best spot to go out there and avoid those big innings. Again, he got through five ninety five pitches, but every pitch he's counting today. He was quite erratic right from the get.
Speaker 9: Go, no doubt. And the Dodger offense, like we've talked about all show, is the fact that they grounded into five double plays, tying a franchise record. That's just one of those nights O say that you really can't get anything going when you do something like that.
Speaker 2: No, I mean a couple of the more it hit hard, but Jack Quinanowitz was outstanding. I mean give it to him. Forty five sinkers he threw today. He's a change up. He's a couple of different fastballs, and one where biggest example Lindy Pies as what which swing do I take against which fastball? So one time he's taken one with a four seamer where he's able to get to the ball before you know that ball's in on his hands and he's from the sinker inside. So it's a combination of things. He not missed much over the plate. He did not fall behind very often coming into the game. Think about, because how many guys you know nowadays with big arms, young pitchers that we'll use seventy percent of the pitches that throw his fastballs, That's what I'm talking about. And a guy that came into it with an ERA of five twenty three. He'd did a good job neutralizing a very, very good offensive team.
Speaker 9: Tonight was just an appetizer for the main event tomorrow, Clayton Kershaw making his season debut. What will you be looking for? There's been so much talk about where his velocity was when he was on his rehab assignment. How vital is velocity to what Kershaw? What we see from Kershaw tomorrow.
Speaker 2: I'm going to be looking at a commander location. That's all I need to see. I just want to see how far he can go with throwing sliders for a strike, and if it's going to be a punch out pitch, he's got to be the slider. So this guy is a master at his craft. He's won two hundred and twelve games, he's got a two fifty ERA now in the eighteenth season. Well we need to see too, though, David. That we didn't see last year is he had a prolonged rehab stint that he did. You know, before he came back last year, he only threw thirty innings. And at this point, he's not just gonna be a forigny guy and see what happens. Remember, Kershawk costs the Dodgers a lot of innings from the bullpen last year. And I know it does not the intent, but he needs to go out there at least get five, get his feedwat and continue to you know, pile up those prodcasts because I know it's going to be pretty excited and every time we struck somebody out, he's going to get closer and closer. But nonetheless, you can see somebody that was gonna make every single pitch count compete and look for him to be on the mountain to get a win.
Speaker 9: All right, Jose, you're all talked out. We'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 2: I'm top down on the other stuff too, So okay.
Speaker 9: Sports stock radio, I mean, come on, thanks, Hose. There he goes Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast, filling in for Rick Monday tonight. I mean, that's what we do. We talk. That's what we do on the radio. We talk. We talk about baseball. News as related to the Dodgers, especially after a game where the Dodgers fall six to two. Also, we were talking about some of the players that so many of you were out on the first couple of weeks of the season, like Andy Pajez, who has come to life in a big way. How about Max Munsey. I know it's only three games here, but Max has really shown some signs alive. Tonight he took two walks and he also drove in the first run for the Dodgers and RBI double coming off back to back games with home runs. So Max Munsey, he has a track record, he has a resume, but after the last couple of years, it feels like he's become a really streaky hitter. When it's cold, it's really cold. When he gets hot, he's taking his walks, he's hitting extra base hits like he was tonight. So hopefully he can get things going, because, like I mentioned last night, the same group of players are not going to be hot the entire year. You got to have some guys contribute to the big three who are obviously the most consistent, and you know, obviously Will Smith needs to be included in that because he's a really big part of this Dodger offense, especially with ta Oscar Hernandez out on the injured list and tomorrow who knows, with a day game on Sunday, the Dodgers may have Dalton Rushing catch Clayton Kershaw tomorrow night. He is familiar with Kershaw. He did catch rehab or two start of his this the past couple of months, so including his last rehab starts, so there is a very good chance you may see Dalton Rushing behind the plate Tomorrow night for Clayton Kershaw and Will Smith catching the day game in the finale of this series. So it should be fun tomorrow night. Really looking forward to seeing Clayton Kershaw back on the mound for the Dodgers, and he's going up against his good buddy Tyler Anderson. They were only teammates for a season, but they really formed a bond after having a rocky start to their relationship. Remember when Tyler Anderson was pitching for the Rockies a few years back, a few years before he joined the Dodgers, Kershaw was warming up and is obviously very punctual on his start day, whether it's getting to the ballpark, getting to the trainer's room, playing catch and getting to the mound he expects the game to start when it's supposed to start at seven to ten. Well, this one time, Tyler Anderson, who was starting against him while pitching for the Rockies, not only was done with his warm up pitches in the Rockies bullpen as the game was about to start, but there is a hallway that leads from the visiting bullpen to the visiting clubhouse. But for some reason, Tyler Anderson decided to walk through the field and into foul territory to go back to the Rockies dugout, which delayed first pitch two minutes, and Kershaw was barking at Tyler Anderson, and rightfully so. But then all of a sudden, Tyler Anderson becomes his teammate, and not only are they you know, obviously put that behind them, but they form a really tight friendship and respect for each other. So funny how all those things work out. But nonetheless, Tyler Anderson against Clayton Kershaw Tomorrow, Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck begins at five o'clock tomorrow, with first pitch at six ten. Thanks to Colinie back at our Burbank Studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodger Stadium, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. That's also where you can hear our pregame conversation with Dalton Rushing coming up next Fox Sports Radio Tomorrow night, Kershaw Day. For the first time this season, we'll talk to you tomorrow. Have a great rest of your night, see you.
Speaker 5: It's time
Speaker 9: Sending away.