Speaker 1: Welcome to Hill Country Homilies. Weekly homilies from Holy Annunciation Orthodox Church in Liberty Hill, Texas. Holy Annunciation is an old calendar Orthodox Church sharing the faith of the Apostles and the love of Christ with all who seek His truth. Now, let's listen to this week's homily.
Speaker 2: And then the fathers on the Holy Spirit word in Jesus Christ. Well, I don't ever like to do a homily without any notes, but I don't know where they've gone. So we'll see what we can do for the Sunday of the public and the fairs.
Speaker 3: You know, the time.
Speaker 2: That we now enter into in the church is what we call the Triodean period, and the Triodean period is a time of preparation, is preparing us to enter into great Land. When we say Triodian and what we're referring to is actually the service book that we use from now right up until a pasta up until the point where we hit Holy Week, every service that we're going to be doing we take out of the Triodian and that includes the services of enduring Great Lent. So it's a little odd that we sometimes refer to the Triodean as that time period before the actual beginning of Great Lent. So this is what we've entered into. We're not to great Lent. We have four Sundays that are this Triodean preparation. The first Sunday is always the Sunday of the publican and the Pharisee, and that, of course is the gospel reading that we heard today.
Speaker 3: The Lord tells the parable.
Speaker 2: Two men go up to the temple to pray, one a pharisee and one a publican. The pharisee stands and lifts his head up to God and he prays, We're total.
Speaker 3: He prays with himself, God, I thank you.
Speaker 2: I'm not like other men, adulterers, cheaters, the unjust, even this Pharisee. And the Pharisee, who can't even bring himself to look up towards Heaven, just cast his eye down, beats on his chest and says, Lord, have mercy on me, a sinner. And the parable ends with Christ toning his disciples. One of these men went home justified, and that it was the publican.
Speaker 3: Not the Pharisee.
Speaker 2: Now, in understanding this parable, we have to understand a little bit about the positions of the publicans and the Pharisees at the time of Christ and the position of publican or tax collector was an absolutely despised profession, and it was despised when you understand how the Romans governed their empire as they moved out further and further out from Rome. When they would conquer a new territory, what they would do is they would appoint some of the locals to act as their tax collectors, people who knew the local population.
Speaker 3: Those people would.
Speaker 2: Then be given a quota for the amount of taxes that they had to send back to Rome.
Speaker 3: That they were responsible for.
Speaker 2: And the way that publicans or tax collectors made their living was they would extract as much as they could from everybody that was in their jurisdiction, and they would send back their quota or to Rome, and.
Speaker 3: What they collected above that they could keep.
Speaker 2: And so the incentive on the tax collectors was always to extract as much and much as much as they could from the people, whether as owed or not owed.
Speaker 3: Last Sunday we didn't actually.
Speaker 2: Have it because of the weather, but Zychias Sunday precedes the Triodians. Zechius, of course, as a tax collector who had cheated everyone and gotten greatly enriched until he had his great repentance. So the tax collector was absolutely the most despised occupation that there was. They were considered collaborators with the occupiers. There were traitors to their people because they were the ones that were going to enrich themselves off of the locals and send it to their occupiers.
Speaker 3: Well, they stayed very rich.
Speaker 2: And the Pharisees, of course, on the other hand, you know, nowadays when we talk about Pharisees, we think of that as a negative of being pharisyical, you know, being focused on the law. But in the time of Christ, remember the Pharisees were still the religious authority. They were considered at the top. They were highly respected, their advice was sought. You know, we even know from scriptures they had the high places at the banquet, and so they were a hugely respected.
Speaker 3: Part of the Jewish society. They were the governors of the church.
Speaker 2: They were involved also with the civil administration. But Christ tells us one of them goes home justified, that's the publican, and the other the pharisee, does not. And what is the difference between the publican and the pharisee was pride versus humility.
Speaker 3: You know. The pharisee, you know, makes a big show of himself. He puts himself in the center.
Speaker 2: And he brags about all the good things he's done. Oh, I've fast twice a week, I give my ties. Thank God, I'm not like these sinners. He makes himself a great show. Whereas the Pharisee knows his unworthiness, or the Republican knows his unworthiness, he knows that his only hope is mercy, where is the pharisee seems to think he's got it made because of his position who he is. And our goal, of course, is to have that same justification that the public can receive. And there's much in this parable to work with. But one thing that I think we have to consider very strongly is the lesson from the Pharisee is not just about his pride. That's certainly the overwhelming problem that he has, but there's a message for us in there as well, because when the Pharisee prays, what does he pray?
Speaker 3: I keep the fast?
Speaker 2: I tie to The Pharisee is basically saying, I am following all the rules. Look at me, I'm following all the rules. I am your example but all of that led only to his abasement. Because no matter how strictly we follow the rules, if our heart isn't there, strict rule following can't save us.
Speaker 3: Sometimes rules can anchor us.
Speaker 2: When we don't know what to do, when the storms of life are beating down on us. Rules and practices, things that are given to us. They can be a foundation or an anchor for us. Is keep us fixed. If I don't know what to do, say my evening prayers. If I don't know what to do, I'll say that Jesus prayer make a prostration. These are things that we can cling to, but if they ever become our justification, then we've crossed from faith into pride. You know, when the fast upon us, it can be very, very tempting to count those days that we are keeping a fast to mourn.
Speaker 3: A little bit.
Speaker 2: Oh we miss the dairy, we miss the meat. And every time we do that, what are we doing. We're drawing attention to ourselves like the Pharisee. And what are we saying? I've kept the fast. I've kept the fast. Look at me, I've kept the fast. But that won't save anyone without the heart of the publican without the humility of the publican. And as we prepare to enter into great length, this is the first lesson that the Church chooses to give to us. That pride can abase us, where's humility can bring us to justification.
Speaker 3: And it's such a temptation, I think.
Speaker 2: In this world we live in, you know where where if somebody disagrees with us, we have to you know, roast them, We have to just you know, really get you know, tell them how wrong they are. And we react out of anger. And that's all pride. You know, Anger is pride. Frustration is pride. It's everybody saying, you know, I'm not getting what I deserve, or how can this person possibly not agree with me? That's pride.
Speaker 3: And so we have to fight against them.
Speaker 2: And when I say well, I mean me, I mean every last one of us have to fight against that temptation to give into that pride the Pharisee and turn instead to the example of the humility of the publican.
Speaker 3: Because if we.
Speaker 2: Can find humility, that's the foundation of the entire Orthodox fronum, of the entire way of bringing the Church into our daily life is through that humility, through that trust. Because when the when the publican cries with his downcast eyes, have mercy on me, a sinner. Those are not tears of despair. Those are not tears of despair. There are tears of hope, because he has that faith that God can save him regardless of his myriad sin. The Pharisee stands assured in his own position. But the publican, with humble hope in Christ, will find himself justified. And as we approach into this time of great lent, may we too be given the humility of the publican, such that we may find ourselves justified. And may we, as we sang in the kentackn flee from the pride of the Pharisee, and instead let us cling to the humility and the tears of the public and the name of the Father and Son of the Holy Spirit.
Speaker 3: Amada.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to Hill Country Homilies. For more information, visit Holy Annunciation Orthodox Church at www dot Denunciation, tx dot com and please join us again next week.