Speaker 1: And now your host for Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 2: Hey, David Best said.
Speaker 3: We are live at Dodgers Stadium for Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck. Your Los Angeles Dodgers the best record in baseball at seventy eight and fifty three, and they are at first place in the NL West. After a sweep of the Mariners to start this homestand and taking two out of three from the Tampa Bay Rays, the Dodgers close out this nine game homestand with another three game series against an American League team, one of the best, the Baltimore Orioles, and some are calling this a possible World Series. Preview Jack Flaherty is on the mound Tonight's first pitch coming up at seven ten. Coming up over the next hour here on Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck, we'll hear from Dodgers manager Dave Roberts. We'll get a preview of tonight's pitching matchup. We'll hear from Mike Soosha and Chris Taylor. Plus we've got your Dodgers magical moment. Shortly, we'll check in with Charlie Steiner, who's in the booth tonight for the first couple of innings alongside Rick Monday. But on Sunday afternoon, Gavin Stone threw a gem, but it was a mooky moment late that won it. Gavin Stone a great outing on the mound. Seven innings, seven strikeouts, allow just one run. The Dodger offense, meanwhile, needed a few times through the lineup to get going. Finally, in the fifth inning, it belonged to Keike Hernandez who got the Dodgers on the board.
Speaker 4: The one one pitch to key k is drill left center field into the gap.
Speaker 2: It's carrying it. It is out a hair.
Speaker 5: Keth k Hernandez starts the scoring with a.
Speaker 2: Laser to the left field. Is ninth of the year and the Dodgers lead.
Speaker 3: It won nothing that was off the lefty from Granada Hills, Jacob Lopez. The Dodgers had an early one nothing lead. Gavin Stone put up zeros on the board. However, in the seventh inning, his only mistake was to former teammates Johnny de Luca, who even the score. The Dodgers and Rays remained tied in the bottom of the eighth inning when Sho he Otani got hit by a pitch on his left hand to put a runner at first base. A scary moment, but x Rays came back negative the very next batter, Mookie Bets.
Speaker 4: Mookie Bets heirst pitch swinging high fly ball left field.
Speaker 5: Did you poky Pokie? Betts makes it hurt a two run home run to.
Speaker 4: Break the tie and the Dodgers leaded three to one.
Speaker 3: Two run home run from Mookie Bets is twelfth of the season and that's the top tier play of the game sponsored by Arco Quality, top tier gas for less. The Dodgers led three to one. They would go on to beat the Rays three to one. Anthony Banda got his second save of the season, and now the Dodgers continue to hold off those pesky snakes. Three games up on the Diamondbacks, four games up on the Padres. After a day off yesterday, the Dodgers back here at Dodgers Stadium to close out this homestand for the final game our final series of this homestand against the Baltimore Orioles, who are two games back of the Yankees in the Al East and the top team in the American League Wildcard race. Tonight, Like I mentioned Jack Flaherty on the mound in the series opener, first pitch coming up at seven to ten, and with more we go down a couple of booths to the Galpin Motors broadcast booth to check in with Rick Monday and his old buddy Charlie Steiner.
Speaker 4: All right, David, after an off day yesterday, the first of three between the Dodgers and the Orioles and remarkably similar records. The Dodgers at seventy eight and fifty three have a three game lead on Arizona San Diego in third plays in the West, four games behind the Dodgers. Then you've got the Orioles at seventy and fifty six. There are two games behind the Yankees in the American League East. And the Dodgers, more than anything else in all, have been playing very good baseball of lay, and.
Speaker 6: They want to be able to continue that. I mean, the best record in baseball, as you're alluding to, but not only winners of seven of the last ten. They've won twelve of sixteen in the month of August fourteen and seven. And also they've got some very good pitching, even though they've got a banged up starting rotation, a three point four Era in that period of time. So the Dodgers know full well that both Arizona and San Diego maybe playing the best baseball of the season for them, no question about it. The Dodgers don't look in the backyard, look in that front windshield and just keep driving down the road and continue to win ball games.
Speaker 4: And the Oriols just two behind the Yankees. They've been a very good team all year long.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but they've had difficulty, Charlie recently, I mean since the All Star break their five hundred team and their ERA has been above four and a half. They're trying to turn that around. They've had some offense, but they have I've not really had enough help out of the bullpen, and that's something that they need to address and do it in a hurry in order to move up that ladder in the American League East.
Speaker 4: On paper, they've got two of the best catchers on the field tonight Will Smith and Atlie Rutchman, but they have both been struggling offensive Leo late.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they have, and for Will Smith, we're beginning to see some better swings, but it's not been back to back games back the last thirty one games for Will Smith, hitting just won seventy seven, but again he has been a big force. He keeps drawing runners out at second base and at a very good rate. The question is Baltimore is not afraid to try and steal at all? Will the arm of Will Smith shut down that possibility tonight?
Speaker 4: Jack Flaherty gone for the Dodgers tonight, Cole Irvin for the Orioles, And we'll detail that pitching matchup a little later on in the hour.
Speaker 3: David, all right, great to hear your voice, Charlie Steiner. And as we count down to first pitch, Dodger fans, get your game day meal on at Shaky's Pizza Parlor. Order your Shaky's Pizza, Chicken and Mojo's now at Shaky's dot Com. Coming up, I'm Wrongo Casino Dodgers on Deck. You'll hear from Chris Taylor and Mike Sooshia. But up next our Otani Rewind leading you up to Dodgers Orioles first pitch at seven ten. I'm David Basse live at Dodgers Stadium, and this is the Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: Is Lorongo Casino Dodgers on Dodgers on Deck. Y'all on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 3: David Basse live at Dodgers Stadium for the first of three games between the Dodgers and Orioles. Jack Flaherty up against lefty Cole Irvin. First pitch at seven ten.
Speaker 2: This is the Otani Rewind.
Speaker 5: All right Show. Heyt on Sunday was zero for three.
Speaker 3: He was hit by a pitch on his left hand, but X rays were negative. Dodgers and everybody else in baseball a big sire relief right there. Then he scored in the bottom of the eighth inning after he was hit by the pitch on Mooki's go ahead two run home run. On the season, Otani is hitting two ninety two, sitting on forty one home runs and forty stolen bases, still on pace to become the first player in baseball history to be fifty to fifty in a season. Otani Rewind brought to you by Ito ens Iocha, Japan's number one green tea and the tea that show Hey Otani loves and drinks available at your local Diso stores, Amazon and at ito en dot com. That's ito end dot com, all right, and we had a chance to catch up with Mookie Betts after Sunday's big home run.
Speaker 7: Mookie, you've had three home runs. It's coming off the il. When you think about just keeping it consistent at the plate, what's.
Speaker 2: Been the biggest focus for you as a plate.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I mean I feel like I've been very inconsistent.
Speaker 5: So I don't know.
Speaker 8: I'm just here to win, here to do what I can to help show hey carry us to the finish line.
Speaker 7: Can you think about that at bat against love Lady?
Speaker 2: What were you seeing from him?
Speaker 7: What allowed you to get that swing?
Speaker 8: I was just ready to swing. I mean, I know they've been attacking new with strikes the whole series, and so I just try to get a good swing off.
Speaker 7: It's not your show, it's you as But when you think about just coming in the clutch for certain situations, how important was that at that not only for you but also for this team to get that win?
Speaker 8: You know, I think eg and never had bet is super important. But definitely coming down there, show gets all all on base there and you just got to find a way to Bill's some momentum and we fortunately did it.
Speaker 7: Gavin Stone today, how impressive was he?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 8: He's been amazing all year. I mean he's given us a chance to win easing every game. I mean he's going six seven, eight innings consistently, and so he's been huge for the Dodgers for sure.
Speaker 7: This wind tonight, you guys have won this here is this homestand so far is not to a really great start. How important though, was this just knowing what the division looks like at the moment.
Speaker 8: I mean it's his crunch time now, you know, we got to win every game, and not that it's not crunch time all year, but especially now, and those other teams are playing really well, and so we have to just keep playing Dodger baseball and we should be okay.
Speaker 7: All right, we'll congratulations on this one tonight, Uki, Thank you hey.
Speaker 3: With Bookie Bets in the lineup, the Dodgers will be okay. Dodger fans, and hance your listening experience by downloading the iHeartRadio app and listen NHD powered by la Care Health Plan serving all Angelinos Lacare dot org. Still to come here on WRONGO Casino Dodgers on Deck. Mike's Sooshio will join us, so wo Chris Taylor as we lead you up to first pitch at sevent ten. I'm David Vasse live at Dodgers Stadium and this is the Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Wrongo Casino Dodgers Hunters on your home for LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 3: We are live for Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck as we lead you up to first pitch from Dodgers Stadium between the Dodgers and Orioles Morongo Casino Resorting Spa, a Grand Slam for good times. First pitch at seven ten.
Speaker 1: This he's the LA Dodgers Injury Report.
Speaker 3: This Dodger Injury Report presented by UCLA Health, the official medical partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Well, Freddie Freeman is not in the starting lineup tonight. Kei k Hernandez is at first base. Max Mounsey stays at third base because Dave Roberts said they wanted to get Freddy Freeman out of the lineup for not only today but possibly tomorrow to let the inflammation in that hairline fracture in his right middle finger to cool down. He's been playing through it, but the bat, the bats, the wings haven't been there.
Speaker 5: Also, Yoshiyama Moto who went.
Speaker 3: On the IL after his first two months in the big leagues is going to make a rehab start tomorrow for Oklahoma City. So that's good news for the Dodgers and Yama Moto. Let's head downstairs right now into the dugout with Dave Roberts.
Speaker 6: Anything else, Dave?
Speaker 5: Do you think the questions for Dave?
Speaker 6: Dave? Can you just describe Dave? Can you talk about the pressure.
Speaker 2: In the dugouts with Dave Roberts a.
Speaker 9: Conversation with only ils for ten days.
Speaker 10: To sort of let us no, I don't think so. I think that obviously he could have played today, wanted to play. So I just don't think that the IL right now makes a whole lot of sense because it's something where even in ten days, it's not going to the fracture is not going to heal in ten days.
Speaker 5: Is there a chance that he sits out tomorrow.
Speaker 6: Or the rest of this series.
Speaker 10: There's a chance. But I still think that having them potentially available off the bench makes sense. We'll see what that looks like each day, though, and we'll kind of read and react.
Speaker 3: Is that that's not being the same because the middle finger is that part of this equation too.
Speaker 10: I think it's part of it. I think that for me, I think that it just doesn't look the same. But hitting's hard. That could be a separate point, and it could not be because of the finger. Freddy could argue that, which is completely fine, But I still believe that, you know, giving it some time to kind of calm down and not be inflamed, there's only benefit you guys, just like how tough talking to you know, I think he understands he wants to play well, everybody knows, you know, what he means to the ball club, being able to post, be in the lineup. All that stuff matters. But also it's still matters to feel that you feel good, that you your swing feels good. And I just again, I just don't think that taking a couple of days off, whatever the days it ends up being, is going to be too costs.
Speaker 6: I really don't.
Speaker 5: Why did you.
Speaker 3: Choose a GT at first and once heet there instead of vice versa.
Speaker 10: It's short term munchies our third basement, So in a vacuum you could argue the other way, But for Max to go over there, it hasn't taken ground balls over there in two years to just say he's played first base, doesn't.
Speaker 6: Make sense.
Speaker 2: Any new one class.
Speaker 6: Slow moving.
Speaker 10: He was lined up to play catch today, so I don't know if he ended up playing catch today. But given the time that he's been down the potential build up, there's going to be a rehab assignment. He's got to get back on the mound. So I just don't know what that looks like. But not surprising for me that it's taken longer than we initially.
Speaker 9: Thought getting fully built up altober.
Speaker 10: I think that the coming days will be telling. So I don't think anyone can sit here today and say that because if he played catch today it went great and he does the same thing, yes, But if he doesn't, then it's probably a different.
Speaker 2: Answer that what has God changed and.
Speaker 7: Better?
Speaker 10: Not getting better? So he's just still not throwing free and easy, and so when you're not, then you've got to kind of make some concessions and slow down the process. So that's kind of what it.
Speaker 6: Is, all right.
Speaker 3: That's Dave Roberts down in the press conference room, brought to you by Service Titan. Dave Roberts. He is the Titan in his own right. After nine seasons managing the Dodgers.
Speaker 5: He has a plan before his team hits the field.
Speaker 3: You need one for your growing contracting business too. Let Service Titan help you implement it. Learn more at servicetitan dot com. When we continue on Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck live from Dodgers Stadium, we'll check in with two times Dodger World Series Champion, the one and only Mike Soosha, leading you up to first pitch between the Dodgers and Orioles at seven tens. I'm David Vasse and this is the Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 2: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on.
Speaker 1: Deck on your home for the Blue All Season Law.
Speaker 3: We are live at Dodgers Stadium for Game one of this three game series between the Dodgers and Baltimore ore Else Jack Flaherty going up against left hander Cole Irvin.
Speaker 5: First pitch at seven ten.
Speaker 3: The umpire crew for today's game is brought to you by Fred Looyer Insurance, celebrating fifty years of providing reliable and affordable car.
Speaker 5: Insurance for you and your family.
Speaker 3: When you look at the umpire and crew tonight, it's kind of a younger one. Andy Fletcher is the crew chief. Yesterday we had an off day Dodger talk and we had a chance to catch up with the man that caught more games than any other Dodger in franchise history. And with this being a series of two really good young catchers and Will Smith and Adalie Rushman, we thought it would be great to share part of our conversation with the one and only Mike Soshow.
Speaker 11: David. Great to be with you, and boy did I learn a lot from Sandy. You're right about that. It was just a great experience to be around a lot of those great Dodgers, and Sandy was at the top of the list.
Speaker 5: Mike, Is it true.
Speaker 3: I've heard stories from as reporters that told me Sandy Kofax would throw BP to you guys in Vero Beach. Is that true?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 11: He would, and he still got us out. He was throwing VP. Last time I remember was nineteen eighty five. I remember hitting off of him on the lower fields and he started that curveball. You could hear it was unbelievable, and he'd really enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: He loved it.
Speaker 11: And then I think he finally his shoulder gave out, but he loved it. You know, anything he could do to make us a little better, he put his time in and just a tremendous man.
Speaker 3: You feel like, who makes you this manager now that Team USA wants? Was was kind of built as a catcher as a young catcher in the Dodger organization with all these guys being around like Sandy.
Speaker 11: Oh, there's no way, I mean, excuse me, there's no doubt that. You know. The way that I took through the Dodger organization was special. And to get so many great baseball minds around you at at such a young age and just being smart enough to shut up and listen was really important to my development. Is not only a player, but getting opportunity to manage, and you know the great the great guys like Roy Campanella, Sandy Kofax, Del Krandle playing for Time Ofless Order for all those years, Joel Malfatano, Monty basketballin on a whole list you know of of of coaches that I had, and that just that just had a huge impact on me.
Speaker 3: All right, So all these years of managing and playing and all the knowledge and experience you've gained has brought you to Team USA. You manage in the Olympics and now here you are back again managing this premiere twelve team. Can you explain the type of players that you'll be managing and is this a qualifier necessary to be able to have Team USA here in LA in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 11: Well, since we're the home country, we will get an automatic bid into the twenty eight Olympics. But this is important tournament, David. It's it's really for world seeding and world ranking. We're gonna be playing really tough teams. There's twelve teams around the you know globe that are really, uh that just excel in baseball. You know teams teams from you know, Mexico and Venezuela and Cuba and Japan, Korea. Uh, these these, these these it's gonna be a tough tournament. So we'll play a series of Mexico to get going, hopefully get through that and then head to Tokyo. And the quality of players and the caliber players is going to be very high. We can't use forty man roster guys, but we can use a lot of guys that have major league experience that aren't attached to a to a team when we play and uh, and then some of the young guys coming up that are in Double A and Triple A that haven't hit forty man rosters yet. So we're excited about the group. We're putting the rosters together as we speak through these last this last month and moving forward getting ready for the tournament. So we're we'll be ready to go.
Speaker 3: We hear about when uh, these plays I just want to play in the World Baseball Classic that are on the forty man roster, Mike. Obviously, the team has a lot of say and how many innings the pitchers can pitch and just the restrictions on them. Will you have the same type of challenges managing this premiere twelve tournament.
Speaker 11: If a player is with an affiliated team in an organization, most likely yes, if there's but there's a lot of guys that are are pitching an independent ball a lot of guys that are pitching you know, overseas right now that aren't really affiliated with uh, with an organization, So uh, they'll be able to you know, we'll be able to use them probably, you know a little in some of the roles we want, but certainly every organization wants to protect their players, and we'll be looking at the guys that are in the Fall League, they'll be hopefully ramped up or ready to go, and if they can come, we'll We'll live with whatever restrictions the organization gives us.
Speaker 3: All Right, there's Mike Soosha and you can hear the full interview on the doctrid Talk part of the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 5: Dodger Baseball is driven by Ford.
Speaker 3: If there's one thing we like, its choices, find yours with the Ford F one fifty gas hybrid or all electric tough This smart can only be called F one fifty. As we continue live from Dodgers Stadium, we will hear from Chris Taylor.
Speaker 5: But coming up.
Speaker 3: Next your Dodgers Magical Moment, Dodgers Orioles coming up at seven ten. I'm David Vasse and this is the Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, yes, is Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 3: Dodgers and Orioles coming up at seven ten live from Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 5: Jack Flaherty against Cole.
Speaker 3: Irvin, who is only making his second start since the trade deadline.
Speaker 5: First pitch at seven ten, who wants.
Speaker 2: It's time for the Haffe Magical Moment.
Speaker 1: It's magical presented by Hawvey Hot Dogs.
Speaker 3: You don't have to go too far for our magical moment today. We only have to go back a year ago, July seventeenth in Baltimore, and with one swing of the back, Chris Taylor delivered for the Dodgers.
Speaker 5: Oh two swung hot.
Speaker 12: It is to the left center field gapandee, that ball's not going to be caught.
Speaker 5: It is gone. A Grand Slam for.
Speaker 12: Chris Taylor gives the Dodgers the lead six to four, his sixth career Grand Slam as he hammers it into the Oriol pulpen. Chris Taylor with two outs, turns this game around in the sixth night.
Speaker 3: Chris Taylor is in the starting lineup tonight at second. He's a grand Slam home run last year in Baltimore for Taylor, propelling the Dodgers to a six to four win over Baltimore last July. This Hoppy Magical Moment was brought to you by Hoppy Hot Dogs as so Cal Treasure for over one hundred years. Visit hoffeybrand dot com to find out where you can purchase your crab delicious hoppy hot dogs. Coming up next, we will hear from Chris Taylor and also we'll check in with Rick Monday his favorite time of the day, Dodgers Orioles coming up at seven ten. Right here on the Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 2: Is Lorongo Casino, Dodgers.
Speaker 1: On, Dodgers on deck y'all on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 3: David Vaza live at Dodgers Stadium, getting you set for the first of three games between the Dodgers and Orioles. Jack Flaherty up against Cole Irvin. Start your future at a California community college. Financial laid is availablele to help you with tuition, books, and sometimes even the rent.
Speaker 5: It's time to take the next big step.
Speaker 3: Classes can feel quickly, so enrolled today, I can go to college dot com. Still to com, we'll get you the keys to the game and a preview of tonight's pitching matchup.
Speaker 1: But first and now joined by David Basse, here's LA Dodgers broadcasting and World Series champion Dodger Rick Monday.
Speaker 3: Rick, the Dodgers and Orioles hooking up and I always think back to the nineteen sixty six World Series. I obviously was not here to witness it, but I heard stories about that world series.
Speaker 6: Is that a nice way of saying, Oh, hi, old guy, how are you?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 6: No, Yeah, did you enjoy your off day? Well?
Speaker 5: I had a busy, very busy off day.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Well I also did the off day DODG. You talk too.
Speaker 3: We had two big guests, Joe Kelly and former two hemate Mikesosha. Yeah, yours not mine.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Yeah. Well it's one of those things. So here's an interesting question. I did not listen last night. I had other obligations. So did you talk a lot about catching?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I felt like I had to get it in there. Well, he said, and this is a direct quote. The catching position is changing, and not necessarily for the better. He is not a fan of catchers down on one knee. He's not a fan of catchers not giving a target to the picture to try to steal a low strike. He feels like guys like Bob Boone and himself were able to do that fairly well without having to go to one knee and move their glove around.
Speaker 5: There's not a lot of quiet catchers these days.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, it's and you're speaking of catching. You know, today's kind of an odd day to begin with. It was in the late eighteen hundreds. Now this is going back. Yeah, you weren't there for that, but Roger Bresnahan and I bring his name up in relationship you talked about with Mike Soshi with catching, who was a marvelous catcher and a wonderful teammate. And he's one of those guys too. Someone asked me about two guys in particular, Dusty Baker and with Mike Sooshi, and I was asked, well, did it surprise you at all that they became a managers? And I said, immediately before they could even continue the question, I said, no, it didn't surprise me either. One I said, it also did not surprise me that they became very good managers. It's one thing to be a manager, that in itself is really something, but to be a good manager to the level that both Baker and Soshia really became accomplished was really something to watch. And they were good for the game of baseball on top of it.
Speaker 3: You know what Mike Sooshi said, And Dusty said this as well when he was here for his honor. He said and both men said growing up in the organization and being there in spring training, Sandy Coefax, Johnny andres Roy Campanella, all those guys helped them rick to become the managers that they became.
Speaker 6: So we're talking about catching, right. So Bresnahan, he came on in the late eighteen hundreds, actually as a pitcher in the major league level, didn't last that long as a pitcher, didn't hit too well or it came up with a sore arm basically, but he could catch well. Bresnahan is the gentleman who came up with the modern day catcher's shin guard. And when he first came up with, I mean it was leather, you know, it wasn't the hard plastic, it was leather. He was the one that thought this up and how to scrap it on your leg. In reading a biography of Bresnahan, he really caught a lot of grief from major league players because they figured that he was a little soft if he had to have shin guards on. But it was Roger Bresnahan who played at one time he was a catcher, became the catcher for the Chicago Orphans in the Nation League in nineteen hundreds.
Speaker 5: So what a name?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so we look at the catchers gear. How did it originally start? But it was Roger Bresnahan that that invented what is now the modern day sh guards.
Speaker 3: It's used in baseball, and they called it when I was growing up, the tools of ignorance. Rick Monday referred to catchers and catching.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't say that. I also didn't think that. During super teams competition years and years ago, the Dodgers and Super Teams, and we were in Hawaii competing and one of the events was the tandem bicycle race, the four forty bicycle race, and Yager and I were teamed up on this same bike. Well, the bike kept breaking because the chains would break. We were putting so much pressure on them. But in the interview, they said, well, what's it like to ride behind Steve Jeger? And I turned. I said, well, let me put it this way. I'm riding blind behind the guy that wears the tools of ignorance. But I have total trust in it.
Speaker 5: Well said Rick.
Speaker 3: Thanks a lot for sharing that story in History of the Catching good show last night.
Speaker 5: Thanks, Rick, appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Dodger Baseball brought to you by Speedy Cash, official sponsor of every LA Weekend. Find out more at Speedycash dot com or stop in an LA area Speedy Cash store. Still to come here. On Dodgers on Deck, we will hear from Chris Taylor. Next, I'm David Vasse and this is the Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers on your home for LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 3: We are lying at Dodgers Stadium as the Dodgers are getting set to close out this nine game homestand with a three game set against the Baltimore Orioles.
Speaker 5: Game one coming up at seven ten.
Speaker 3: Dodger Baseball presented by Children's Hospital Los Angeles. When you need the very best care for your child, go to Children's Hospital Los Angeles rank number one in cont California for pediatric care. Find the right doctor at CCHLA dot org. Still becolm Rick Monday and Charlie Steiner will get you the keys to the game.
Speaker 1: But first and now, what will likely be vast a fielding insults from.
Speaker 2: A Dodger player. It's an engagement of endearment. This is high and tight.
Speaker 3: Well, I promised I wouldn't bother this man until August, and here we are at the end of August, and I am a man of my word, and tonight he is starting at second base. And that is the one and only Chris Taylor. Chris, thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 5: Appreciate it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I made it easy on you there being on the IL that whole time.
Speaker 3: But well, it is a technicality, but I'll take it for sure. How does it feel to be back and to get a start tonight against the lefty Cole Irvin.
Speaker 9: It feels good to be back. You know, anytime around the IL you're itching to get back in the lineup and you know, or just get on the field and you know what plan two days ago. It was just refreshing to get back out there and you know, compete again. And yeah, I'm excited.
Speaker 6: Cet.
Speaker 3: Even before you got injured, you were starting to find your rhythm to the season. Strikeouts were down, batting average was up, and you even told me that you made some noticeable swing changes. Do you feel like you carried the momentum from before the injury into you know, your rehab assignment.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's kind of been a constant progression. You know, I think probably a few weeks before I got injured, I was feeling pretty good and some of my feels were starting to get a little too extreme. And when I got hurt, I wasn't I was feeling okay. You know, I was still getting hits, but I wasn't really driving the ball and kind of just like not really barreling much. But I was still, like you said, I was getting on base, and you know, I thought the the injury, you know, trying to take advantage of the downtime and you know, tune some things out. And right now I feel much better and feel like even two days ago, you know, I had a couple of swings where I actually drove it, one foul and the other one was a line out. But you know, I felt like I hadn't really barreled the ball or driven the ball to the outfield in a while, So that was a good sign for me.
Speaker 3: You're a guy that has a pretty good head on his shoulders to stand the moment. Do you just approach this as saying, this is my new season because we are getting closer to the time of year where Chris Taylor thrives.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think as baseball players, you have to especially when you have a slow start, you kind of have to approach every day like a new season, and you have to find those short little periods. You can't dwell on your numbers for the year. Especially for me this year, getting such a bad start, it's just not a good head place to be in. So yeah, it kind of gives you a fresh start mentality, and I'm really just trying to, you know, help us get to the playoffs and you know, hopefully win at a Vision and win a World Series, and you know, trying to look forward.
Speaker 5: Chris Taylor is our guest.
Speaker 3: The Dodgers have the best record in baseball, including yourself. Your lineup is healthy. Does it feel like you guys are on the verge or in the middle of playing your best baseball of the season.
Speaker 9: Yeah, as you said, I think health is the biggest thing. You know, we got some guys back that we've really been missing, and finally having everyone on the field, almost everybody on the field, is huge for us.
Speaker 3: I'm looking at your left wrist. Do you have a few risk bands on there? And one was hashtag Dalton and the other one is for Kai. Can you explain those two wristbands and why you wear them.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I have one is Dalton, He's one of my He lives in my parents neighborhood. He lost his life you in sarcoma. Kai is currently fighting brain cancer. And the other one is the letters war Off, But that's for my one of my best friends growing up, call Profile he lost his fight with ostio sarcoma. So yeah, just kind of reminders, you know, keep those those guys in my thoughts, and I definitely puts things into perspective, like this is just a game, and you know, there are bigger things in life.
Speaker 3: How much do you think about them when you're standing at second base pre pitch or maybe in between innings when you're warming up, or is it just something that you keep with you throughout the day and just know they're there.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, I think it's you know, I don't know if I'm thinking about them like while I'm playing, or it's more just something you know, when I look down and see it, it's just a reminder, and you know I like to have that, you know, keep those keep those kids, and you I keep them in my thought.
Speaker 6: Love it.
Speaker 3: Thanks Chris, thanks for sharing, and we'll look forward to seeing you at second base.
Speaker 11: Tonight.
Speaker 9: Yeah, looking forward to be back.
Speaker 3: Hey, great to have Chris Taylor back. And this is Chris Taylor time in October. Certainly is KIK and Chris Taylor season. Dodger Baseball is brought to you by Shaky's Pizza Parlor, the official pizza partner of the Dodgers Audio Broadcast. When it's game day, it's group day at Shaky's dot Com. We are leading you up to first pitch between the Dodgers and Orioles live from Dodgers Stadium. Up next, we'll break down tonight's pitching matchup. I'm David Vasse and this is the Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino, Dodgers on deap on your home for the Blue All Season Law.
Speaker 3: It's the Dodgers and Orioles getting set for the first game of a three game series. David Vasse live at Dodgers Stadium, where the first pitch is at sevent ten.
Speaker 1: And now before the Dodgers hit the Dina, we look at the pitching matchup.
Speaker 3: Tonight's pitching matchup presented by your Southern California Toyota Dealers, turn all your trail dominating off roading dreams into reality in an all new twenty twenty four Tacoma see your Toyota Dealer Today, we make it easy for the Orioles. They have left hander Cole Irvin on the mound for only the second time since June thirtieth, when the Orioles made the trade for Zach Efflyn.
Speaker 5: They move Irvin to the bullpen. Eflyn on the il, so Irvin.
Speaker 3: Is back in the rotation for the injury riddled Orioles rotation, only his second start since June thirtieth. He actually has one of the lowest walk rates among active pitchers in Major League Baseball, so we'll see if the Dodgers are aggressive early in the count tonight. For the Dodgers, they have Jack Flaherty on the mound. He's ten and five this season with an ERA of three. He's making his twenty third start of the year, his fifth as a Dodger, and he's three and oh this year with the Dodgers since being traded from Detroit. His ERA is three twenty two. Jack has said he feels like he could pitch much better than he has already, and certainly the one thing he could say about flarity he is the ultimate competitor, something the Dodgers have sorely needed. This will be Jack Flarerty's first career start against the Baltimore Orioles, a team he pitched for the second half of last year when he was traded from Saint Louis to Baltimore. So Jack Flarerty against Cole Irvin. You're pitching matchup tonight, Dodgers and Orioles, fifteen minutes away from first pitch from Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 5: Keys to the game are next.
Speaker 3: I'm David Vasse and this is the Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, this is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Jack on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 3: We are getting closer to Dodgers and Orioles here at Dodgers Stadium. Jack Clarity against left handed Cole Irvin. First pitch right around the corner at seven ten. Dodger fans and hands your listening experience by downloading the iHeartRadio app and listen NHD powered by LA Care Health Plans serving all Angelinos lacare dot org. Before first pitch, Let's check in once more with Rick Monday and Charlie Steiner.
Speaker 4: All right, David, as the Dodgers and Orioles get ready for the first of this three game series. The Dodgers, of course, the best record in baseball currently Baltimore, just two games behind the New York Yankees in the American League East. And we've got a good pitching matchup going tonight. Cole Irvin lefty six and five before eighty two going for the Birds. Jack Clarity ten up and five down an ERA of three. And he's been terrific since coming to the has he ever?
Speaker 6: Dave Roberts alluding to it a little bit earlier today, this afternoon four starts with the Dodgers. He's two and oh the other part two is both these guys tonight throw a lot of off speed, a lot of breaking stuff, and for Flarity, he has been able to get ahead in a lot of counts. So look for that tonight. In fact, you start to look at the local product. I mean, here's the team that he looked at as a kid watching the Dodgers. Born in bird Bank, went to Harvard Westlake in the high school area, and Roberts is saying he is about the most well prepared pitcher since joining his ball club right alongside Clayton Kershaw.
Speaker 5: What can you tell us about Cole Irvin?
Speaker 6: Well Again, he's a local product, born in Yorba Linda and for Urban. One of the things he's able to do, much like Flaherty, throw a lot of off speed stuff, but he's given up a two to ninety batting average against him. The Nighters only have two left handers strictly lefties. Edmunds in there. He's a switch hitter, but from Munsey and Otani. One of the things that Ervin has not been able to do. He's gone the last thirty four at bats lefties without having bigg a strikeout. We'll find out how that breaking bow is going to work against the lefties tonight.
Speaker 4: Two of the better teams in baseball this season, the Dodgers and the Orioles. Dodgers seventy eight at fifty three and the Orioles at seventy six, up fifty six down lineups at first pitch coming up?
Speaker 3: All right, Thank you guys. Great to have Charlie stop by today. Dodgers and Orioles first pitches. Next after the game, we will have postgame Dodger Talk for you with all the highlights and postgame reaction.
Speaker 5: I'm David Vasse and this has been Morongo Casino
Speaker 3: Dodgers on Deck on the Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network