Speaker 1: It's nice siding Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Well, fourteen people, innocent people lost their lives to this madman who decided it would be a great idea to race down Bourbon Street in his truck in mow down Americans who are simply trying to welcome in the new year. So it's only appropriate that we try to take a look at maybe the other side of the coin. And delighted to welcome back to Night's side. Former Assistant Secretary of State Robert Charles, who is the new Englander if I recall correctly, Robert a native of the state of Maine. Correct, How are you tonight?
Speaker 3: You are absolutely right, Dan, And we sometimes just need good news. And I am awfully glad to be brought on board to talk. And yes, I grew up in a little town of about five hundred in central Maine, and so of course I think we even talked about this. I listened, of course every night under my pillow to the transistor radio to the Red Sox, Enrico, the whole gang. Who were you know, part of the Red Sox in that era. But yeah, I grew up in Maine.
Speaker 2: Who is your favorite Red Sox player back in the day.
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean really, I mean Ustromsky, of course he was my well look Enrico Petrocelli and Rice and there were great players back then. And I you know, the irony is, I think there's a little bit of enchantment that gets lost when you can access everything anytime of day. You know. I grew up in a family where with sisters and brother and my mother was a school teacher and she would put us to bed promptly at somewhere around eight or nine, and I would pay no attention to that and have a transistor radio listening to the Red Sox play under my pillow, and it was I don't know, there was something a little bit Norman rockwellish about that ears.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, it's it's romantic in the best sense of the term, in that your remain and you got that transistor radio in your ears, so you're transported through the theater of the mind to Fenway Park or wherever the Red Sox happened to be playing, Yankee Stadium, Commissie Park, wherever in those days. And as long as you had that, even though you were a few hundred miles away from Fenway Park and a lot further away from you know, the balt In those days it was Memorial Stadium, not Camden Yards in Baltimore or where else. And you, nonetheless were transported. And that's what we do here on night side every night we try to do. But your life took you, and I think it's important to set out the world experience that you had. How did you find your way into government service? And obviously as a former assistant Secretary of State, that's pretty rarefied Aaron to function and tell us, tell us a little bit about how you got from a small town in Maine to the cards a power in Washington, DC.
Speaker 3: You know, I will tell you this. I think that God works in strange ways. And we grew up in an era where it was just assumed that if you worked hard and had some idea about what you might want to do, that the clouds would occasionally part. And what I learned, I mean, my father never finished college and my mother was an elementary school teacher, started at twelve thousand dollars a year and more or less raised four kids on her own, and we ended up in a situation where she prioritized education and she said, you know, if you want to do anything other than stay here in this town or nearby. You need to get an education. And so sometime around the middle of my high school years, I decided it was probably important to get a little more serious. I was a runner and some other stuff, but I I started to work hard. And you know, I'm going to just tell you this as an inspiration for anybody listening with kids, grandkids or themselves. You have to first envision something that you would like to do. It doesn't matter whether you're going to be an astronaut or you're going to be a pole vaulter in the Olympics something. And then you have to have in your brain and in your heart the belief, the true belief that no matter what anybody else says, you could actually do that. And then you have to work your tail off. And so, you know, sometimes luck comes, or you know, the blessings happen when you work hard. So what happened with me was I'd never had it. My father didn't finish college, had no links to Dartmouth College at all, but I had seen it once and I was just intrigued by this college in New Hampshire and beautiful place. And you know, I do remember there were people who even sort of laughed that I would try to apply to this, but I decided, what the heck, I'll just try, and so I applied and I got in by some strike of lightning. But ironically, and again this is this whole idea of don't give up. They didn't give me any money. I had no money, and they let me in, but I had no money, and in that era, that was the deal. So my mother, God bless her, and we just lost her last timer, but she said, look, take the family car and go over, and you're not a bad debater. Explain to them that you're a good investment. And so that's what I did. And they came through with loans, which I paid back every penny and wouldn't have done it any other way, and they came with those scholarships. And so then what happens is once you begin to realize you can turn the dial, you know, like cranking on some bolt that has been rusted shut. But then you get it to turn. Now you start really trying to turn it. And so I applied for a scholarship to Oxford and got it, and then to Columbia Law School and got it, and then I wanted to now for some people this will sound sort of hokey, but there's things called clerkships. And I wanted to clerk for a federal judge, a conservative because I am conservative was back then, and I you know, I didn't know I was until I realized everything I believed was what people call conservative.
Speaker 1: But I.
Speaker 3: Applied to three hundred judges. I figured out read every opinion that I could get recent opinion of those judges and found the ones that were more to my way of thinking, and applied to three hundred, got six interviews out of three hundred, and got one offer. And I therefore clerked on the US Court of Appeals Ninth Circuit, which is the largest circuit and just below the Supprise Court, and then.
Speaker 2: Very liberal circuit, as you know.
Speaker 3: Very liberal circuit. But I worked, and this shows you what kind of challenges I faced. I worked for a Reagan appointee who was a former US Marine, Robert Beezer, so it was an amazing experience. And then I come back and ended up with time again just knocking on doors the way you would if you were a local candidate for something, and I ended up working in the Reagan White House and then staying close to the Reagans until the end of both their lives, and worked in the Bush forty one White House and ended up running the largest part of the oversight committee for New Gingrich, bouncing back and forth between being a private sector litigator, which I hated. I basically was not motivated by money, so it really didn't light my fire. And then eventually I got a call one day from Colon Poland and I actually, I actually said, are you sure you have the right number? I mean, I had no link to cold and Powell, but it you know Helen. Anyway, I ended up talking with him and he said, no, You've written a lot. You are the guy that I'd like in this job. And so I ended up basically training all the Iraqi police, Afghan police, spent a lot of time I had spent time with law enforcement, and just basically got to apply abroad in seventy countries. All this learning that I had, and then as time passed, I rolled out of that into starting a little company that worked for five of the combatant commands and did some things for the military and also for nonprofits. I was really big on counter narcotics. I really believe kids. We got to work with the kids. We were given incredible benefits by the World War II and Korean War vets, many of whom were in this book. But we owe it to pass that baton forward. So I work with nonprofits and everything was going around along pretty well. I had joined the Navy as a reservist in intelligence because I had some background in intelligence, and nine to eleven happened. And the irony is that again, God puts you where he wants you on any given day, and if I wasn't sure of it before that day, I was sure of it on that day. Because I was meant to be in the Pentagon where the CNOIP wedge is, or fifteen of us that looked after bad guys and four hundred in the command center. That wedge was hit that day and I wasn't there. Instead, I boarded a plane forty five minutes before the plane that hit that Pentagon and in DC and spent all of nine to eleven in the air. So when I was done and realized I'd lost a lot of my shipmates, I just volunteered for active duty immediately, and then that gave me other kinds of understanding, and eventually I ended up in the position with Paul, and you know, life is a you have to accept what comes to your door. And some of it's bad and some of it's good. But the thing you have to keep doing. In my opinion, and I many of the people in this book, in fact, all the people in this book said yes to responsibility. And if we can just teach the lesson that when something comes to you and you can either stand up, take responsibility and do it, or you can look the other way. Take the chance, take take the dare, take the move, make it good, do something good with yourself, and then something will follow, and something will follow, and something will follow. So my journey out of the little town and I came back and I lived in that little town now. But that little journey was a lot like Jimmy Stewart's journey. You know, I've been a very blessed guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's funny. I actually rewatched The Wonderful Life a couple of nights ago, and it is still a great movie every time I watch it, and with a great moral, you know moral at the at the end that hey things, you know, what goes around comes around, I guess would be one way to describe it. In more more more recent parlance. I'm intrigued that you were able to work in the Reagan White House at such a young age. You were there really in you very early twenties. How did how did that work come along? How did that break come along?
Speaker 3: So that particular break, and I'm going to get to the break, but I want to tell you something about Jimmy Stewart. He's in this book because if you do a deep dive into his life, he's at the very end of the book with some of the founders. You know, that guy flew the missions of the kind that the brother is recognized for in the movie. He had flown those missions before that movie. Jimmy Stewart was a bona fidees War hero before he ever played the guy that stays at home. But my break came because again I'm not the irony is I was at Dartmouth and I, first of all, I was sure I was going to fail out, but my mother had reassured me, don't worry, you can always come home if you do. But then I worked hard and didn't and a moment came towards the very end where I could apply to work not in a white house that wasn't available, but it was. You know, everything is a step, step to step to step. I was allowed. I Dartmouth had a program where you could write your own program up, take some initiative, and if they liked it, they had some corporate funders that would fund it, so sort of anonymously. And so I wanted to work in a piece of the US House that was kind of a caucus or a committee that was working on legal issues, because I thought in that moment that I was going to become a lawyer. So I just ended up with an internship, an unpaid everyday internship, and I worked my butt off in that internship and published a paper which then led somebody who knew that group. When Reagan won in nineteen eighty, he got there just like you're going to see all these offices populated by people. They're populated by the president's choice, but the number two, number three, number five in that line are not there. And so what I did is I was given a chance by a guy who Roger Porter, who later taught at the Kennedy School. I never knew anything about Harvard, never knew anything about this stuff, but he said, how would you like to come? I don't have a deputy. How would you just like to come and work. I saw the work you did for this little caucus, so I said, yeah, of course I'll come and work. Of course. And I dropped everything and came and work.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I know one thing.
Speaker 2: Lead Roger Porter is, yeah, that's what a break? Well what Robin? I got to take a quick break. My guest is Robert Charles. He's a former Assistant Secretary of State for International Narcotics and Laurence Forcement Affairs. He worked under the George W. Bush Bush as I call it Bush forty three administration in that capacity. He's had a fascinating career, uh and has written a book called Cherish America, which I want to dive into, and I'm hoping that some of you might want to. No one probably has had an opportunity to read the book yet. I don't expect you to do a book report. However, maybe some of you, once we get going here, might be able to recommend some other Americans that if Robert were to do a sequel book that he might include. So we'll have some fun with this, I promise. If you'd like to talk with Robert Charles six one seven, two, four, six, one, seven, nine, ten thirty. Those are the two best numbers to reach us at. My name is Dan Ray. This is night Side, and we're talking to a person who has been blessed uh in his life. Uh, and he is now blessing others uh. And a book is entitled Cherish America. And if anyone tonight who live here a dozen Cherish America, well your head is not screwed on straight, particularly after what transpired on Bourbon Street in New Orleans just about twenty eight hours ago. Now we're coming back on night Side. We'll be back right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the window World, Nice Sight Studios. I' WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: With me is Robert Charles. His book is entitled Cherish America. And I want to get right into the book. The book came out in October. If I'm not mistaken, Am I right or wrong on that?
Speaker 3: Robert, Yes, sir, yep, it was released again. Yep.
Speaker 2: So this is a new book that is out there. Give us just a little bit of the cast of characters who we would get some insight in if we were to take the opportunity to read the book. At his entirety and then I'd like to just get to some of the stories that are in the book. Obviously we can't tell them all. But who gets this profile here? Who are you talking about in this book?
Speaker 3: Absolutely Dan. So let me start by saying I never intended to write this book the way it ended up getting written. It was six years in the process, hundreds of hours of interviews, and notably it's called Cherish America Stories. The subtitle is Stories of courage, Character and Kindness. And what I sort of stumbled upon as I sat down, thinking I needed to write a few of these stories down is I began to realize that in many ways, and maybe all of our lives are like this, we just don't know it. But there's a Forrest Gump element to my life story, which is that I have crossed paths with people who did truly extraordinary things, and they were pieces of my life. And I didn't know that they had done some of these things until later on, and I began to pull on threads. So the book actually is divided into four sections, and the first one has about twenty two stories, including everybody, and this section is called Courageous Souls, and it is gripping sort of Agatha Christie's style, stories about and they're all true about law enforcement officers who did something extraordinary, pilots, military pilots who did something extraordinary, teachers or nurses, infantry officers, and those that you wouldn't expect, people who have disabilities, and other things that just make your jaw drop when you see what they've done with who they are just at the lead in. So then the second section is places in Time. The cast of characters in that first section, I'll tell you some of the stories and you know in short and they'll stop you in their tracks because they did me. And then places in time, including places like Arlington, where I have a lot of relatives buried, and an extraordinary day there that ended with a shaft of light on a stone which just blew me away, and I've got photographs in the book. And then getting out of communists Poland when I got myself in trouble there walking alone on the beaches of Normandy, and the sort of granular feeling the living of the moment of being there. I think people come away feeling it a lot more strongly when they read that story. And then some other tougher ones I privately in my twenties walked through Auschwitz and had notes about all of that. And then gradually the third piece is Glimpses of History, which are private stories that have never been told, but include very personal stories having worked a couple of years with Colin Powell about what kind of a leader he really was, what kind of a person inside out, and they're they're pretty compelling stories. People have never heard them, and there I think you come away with a much higher level of understanding and respect for who he was, even if you went in with a high understanding. And then Ronald Reagan, who I had the privilege of staying up with after the White House and tell some stories about both he and his wife, who I Nancy Reagan, who came and helped me in Washington on counter narcotics shoes with some testimony. And then the Bushes and a couple of sort of serendipitous events. One is that Roger Porter actually and I were at an event with Gorbachev at one point and it was a multi day event, and at one point in that event, I asked Gorbachev whether he believed in God, and his answer was fascinating. And then my other part of my life which is an odd ball. But turn of again serendipity is I did oversight of NASA for a number of years when I was with Congress, and in that process, over time back in the nineties, got to know very well Walt Cunningham who was Apollo seven, Gene Cernon who was seventeen, and Buzz Aldrin, who I have ended up working three or four times a week with for the last twenty five years. And so there are stories, you know, the Buzz stories are ones which will just grab you because maybe six years ago, five years ago, I said, Buzz, we talk all the time, and you're telling me things. I've read all your books, and I've seen the clips, and I've read the transcripts, and you're telling me things that are not in any of those books. And I think you ought to write another book. And he said, I don't, you know, I'm in my nineties. I'm not interested in writing another book. And so I said, well, here's what we're going to do. Then, I'm going to turn on the tape recorder and eventually we're going to pull some of these stories together. How they got off the moon is absolutely gripping, and most people have no idea that they almost did not get off the moon. They had other near death experiences in things like Gemini twelve and some of the other Gemini missions. So his stories are just absolutely riveting. And eventually I didn't originally think of it, but when it was all said and done and he'd read the manuscript, he offered to write the forward for this book. So his forward in this book again words You're not going to see anywhere else. He has a very clear understanding of what makes America great, and he really portrayed it. And then the last section includes deep dives into it's called where They Stood, some deep dives after reading hundreds of letters of Thomas Jefferson and John Adams and Ben Franklin and some other more modern heroes like Jimmy Stewart. Deep dives into some things that you don't know about people that you think you know. So I will tell you that the bulk of the story of the book is these gripping stories about people who in a moment, and literally it's fifty six stories, but in a moment needed to show courage, very often real courage, and didn't know if they had the power to do it, but leaned in and did it. And some of these are things that lasted a lifetime. Some of them happened in a thirty second block. I mean, the first story in the book is a guy, a law enforcement officer who later worked for me, who he worked the night shift when he was young and in the Charlotte area, and he was coming home one morning early and saw smoke curling out of trailer. And the bottom line on that story is he just did some extraordinary things and ended up saving two little children's lives. And so unique was his selflessness. And I think of it that way that everybody else in this book, from you know, from the law enforcement officers to the military personnel, to Scott Hamilton, who was the Olympic skater that I've known, and what motivated them. Their names are in this book, the last names. Rick didn't want his last name in the book. His story is so gripping. And then several teachers, I mean, just one, two and three. One is a story about my history teacher in high school. And again it seems odd that one life could touch so many, but all of our lives are touched by and touch so many. This guy was an infantry officer one hundred and first airborne in Vietnam. His stories there are gripping. But when he came back, there was no Internet, and he realized that all these guys, thousands of them, had no way to compare. Their story is to relate to each other, to get together, and so he started kind of a newsletter. And you know, I asked him at one point, tell me some of the things that happened as a result of that. And again, I've known him for decades. So he started to roll him out and showed me documents, and you know, one of the most moving stories is one day he got a call from a guy who said, I'm looking for a guy named Jack. And my teacher, David Cook, said Jack who, he said, I don't know, just Jack. But here's the story. In the middle of a firefight, a guy is wandering across the open running actually across an open plane under fire, and stumbles on a medic who's working on four guys. He's actually working on three. The fourth one he's let go. And so this guy recognized the fourth one and said, why aren't you working on this guy? He said, he's white, he's bled out, there's nothing left. He said, well, and he recognized him. They've been drinking beers a couple of weeks earlier in a local place, which is described in the book, and he said, well, what if I could He said, you won't find any veins? He said, what if I could find a vein? He said, you find a vein, I'll put plasma in there. Well, this guy hunts and finally finds a vein in the ankle, brings the guy. They bring him around forty years later. The guy who called looking for Jack is the guy who was saved, who was looking for the guy who saved him, and my teacher Dave put the two of them together, so really powerful stuff. Another my eighth grade math teacher was lit guy.
Speaker 2: Let me pause you there for second, Robert, only because we got to take a news break at the bottom of the hour. We come back, we'll talk more about those stories. I want to know what Govi Schev had to say about God, and I want to share a couple of stories with you as well. My guest is Robert Charles, a former Assistant Secretary of State, has written a book called Cherish America. I would say Cherish America also cherish Americans, because we're very lucky to have been placed here, very lucky to have found this place if we hadn't been placed here. And it is amazing how many people do not appreciate the fact that they live in the most powerful country in the world, but also I think the most compassionate. That's part of the theme I want to hit on the other side of the news break, my guess, Robert Charles, feel free to join the conversation if you'd like. Six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty six one seven, nine, three, one ten thirty Back on night Side right after.
Speaker 1: This, You're on Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: With me is Robert Charles, a native of Maine, lives up in Maine, has served this country in a number of capacities, including that as an assistant Secretary of State. You mentioned meeting Gorbachev and you asked him what he thought about God. I'd love to know what he said. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So this is an interesting story because the second half of this book is people that you know the names of but you don't know the behind the scenes stories, and the my first half is unsung heroes. So on Gorbachev, it was actually a remarkable moment because I don't even really know why I asked him, other than I had always wondered if Reagan and I do have private stories about Reagan in the book, if Reagan had in some ways felt or sensed something about Gorbachev that allowed him to kind of open a shaft of light into the man. And eventually, I mean Gorbachev's stays very standoffish in the first years and eventually becomes almost an adoring I mean, he almost adores Reagan. And so the answer to the question really has two bullet points. The first is that, when asked directly, he sort of circularly but nevertheless, very revealingly said that he grew up in a home in which his grandmother and his grandfather were really decisive influences, and that his grand father was as a Communist and his grandmother was a devout Orthodox Christian, and these were the two big influences on his life. In fact, so powerful were they that his grandfather kept a picture of Lenin on the mantlepiece, and on the mantlepiece beside that was an icon of Christ. And so I plumbed it a little further, and I will just tell you again, sometimes you get an exclamation point when you were only looking for a period. The exact things he said are very revealing and suggests to me that this man there was more to him than most people understood, but Reagan understood it. But the two things that really come the data points that I want to mention, are that he actually referred, if you go back to transcripts privately, a couple of times about the intercession of God in the peace process that eventually brought the Soviet Union down. And the other thing is years afterwards, when Reagan died, I had worked for or Gingrich and I was invited to come kind of go down a little staircase when they first had Reagan lying in state and come down and they stop me at the bottom of the little marble staircase. It comes from the Speaker's office down to where a body would lie in state in the Capitol, and they stopped me, and the capitol police just stopped me, and I was just by myself, and this little man came in and walked over and bowed his head at the casket for I don't know a minute, two minutes maybe three, and then retreated privately, no press, nothing, And that little man was Gorbachev. So it's fascinating. That is one story, and that's the course on the more. You know, I could tell you private stories about Colin Powell and his personal attention to people, Reagan's personal attention to people. But I actually think the more many of the more compelling stories are on the front end with I was going to mention my eighth grade math teacher was the first guy to ever give an orger and to someone, and he gave it to his brother. Never happened before. The two boys were both Korean War vets. They only had each other. Parents were gone, and Ron decided to give his see if they'd never done it before. They said it couldn't be done. And then they called him back and said, actually, your brother's an identical twin. Maybe if it would ever work, it would work then. And that story is just gripping. And then another friend of mine is one of the F sixteen pilots. There were only two armed F sixteens on nine to eleven, and Jeff Cashman was one of the two. He and his wingman. All the pictures you see of New York are taken by Jeff and his wingman. The two burning towers, And I asked Jeff, you know, i'd known him for decades. Twenty years later, after nine to eleven, I asked him, how do you feel about all this? How do you feel about what happened and what he didn't get there in time? But you know, his answers are gripping, They're really something you'd be amazed at. And then there are several genuine rescues, military rescues.
Speaker 2: One of my close friends was Cashman based on kit Cot.
Speaker 3: Nope, he was based out of Vermont. The squadron got there, it was fully armed out of Vermont. They did have other planes that got up out of Andrews, but they were unarmed. There were only two armed planes. And that's because when the first tower was hit, Jeff, we didn't have cell phones and that kind of stuff back then, and his wife called him and said they hit one of the towers, and he thought that was odd. He said, that's not going to be a mistake. And so he got two F sixteen's fully armed, so that when National Command authorities actually called him and said can you get two planes in the air, how long will it take you? He said thirty seconds, actually said ninety seconds. They said no, no, fully armed missiles everything he said, I were fully armed, and so they got up and gave chase. And it's a fascinating story. A couple of these are gripping in the sense that Coastguard is involved, a one hundred first Airborne are involved. A good friend of mine is a black Hawk pilot who had forty one saves to his unit's name, and one of those missions and just absolutely will make you cry. It's unbelievable the risks they took to get in and save this special operator, and they saved them, but they you know, they almost they almost went down together with a revealing tanker. Anyway, just amazing stories, and that's why I think this book. Honestly, from the age of twelve to one hundred and twelve, these are the kinds of stories you want to read. They remind you that not only are their heroes at your elbow when you're grocery shopping or on the street, and they don't talk about it, but there is a hero in you. And when you read these stories, one of the things that happens with me. And I've gone back through the interviews and I read them again and tear up and think to myself, Okay, I just want to fortify myself if I was ever in a situation like this, would I do what they did? You know? Would I rush in and save those two kids? Would I? You know, I would I put pedal to the metal with odds of you know, one hundred to one that I'm not going to get there and some of these and would I do it? And that's that's one of the beauties of this book is it highlights this can do American spirit. F fifteen pilots, guys that were in Vietnam, guys that were more recently in combat, and then people who are doing things in the civilian world. A twenty two year old nurse and how she managed an unbelievable pile of responsibility during COVID and what did she do and how did she do it and how did she feel afterwards? Really gripping stuff.
Speaker 2: The book is entitled Cherish America. And by the way, you mentioned being inside of communist Poland. I had that experience as well as a television reporter in nineteen eighty six, and it really opened my eyes. Jerozelski was still in power and we were over there for ten days, and I could write a book about that also a few year or so later, I was had at the opportunity while while I was in Poland, I should say, to visit Auschwitz, and that was a very important experience in my life. When we get back, I want to tell you about an American hero that I think you know about, but the most courageous individual that I've ever met. And I'd love to get your reaction to who I think is in that category. We as we've met many of the same people believe it or yeah, and I can identify with you. But I invite our callers to join the conversation if they want to ask a question of Robert Charles, or if they want to talk about someone who they consider to be an American hero. Again, the book is Cherish America, and I just think that at this time, all of us in this country who are blessed enough to be here, need to understand that we need to cherish this country, because if we do not cherish this country, there are forces about not only around the world but in our own country who would like to bring this country down. And that's why I think this interview was particularly well timed. It was timed in advance of what happened in New Orleans on January the morning of January first. My name is Dan Ray. This is Nightside. If you'd like to join the conversation, feel free, don't be intimidated. Six one seven thirty six one seven nine three one ten thirty Coming back after this one Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray, Mine from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ, the news Radio.
Speaker 2: My guess is Robert Charles, whose book is Cherished America. I don't know if you if you remember because you were younger, but the most courageous guy that I've ever met, and I've met a lot of courageous people, Robert is a guy named Lloyd Pete Booker. He was the commander of the USS Pueblo, which was it's the only American rule from held in captivity of another country. It's being held at peter Pang, North Korea. He had a crew of eighty three men which they were basically pulled off the high seas off the coast of Korea, North Korea, and they suffered eleven months of horrific captivity from January twenty third, nineteen sixty eight to December twenty third, nineteen sixty eight. And Booker brought all of his crew through that and the night that he was forced to write a quote unquote confession, you know, in against the terms of the uniform.
Speaker 3: Do you the convention? Yeah? Well no, yes, yes, military, yes, right, and you.
Speaker 2: Know which is anything beyond name, rank and serial number. And they promised them that they would start killing his youngest member of his crew the next morning if he did not write a letter of confession. So he's an interesting guy. He's he's passed now, but I became one of my closest friends in the world. He was an orphan from from Idaho, grew up in Father flanagainst Boystown, went to University of Nebraska. It was a mustang, meaning when you become the community US Naval vessel, your mustang unless you went to Annapolis. He did not go to Annapolis. So he was small enough to know that the North Koreans in nineteen sixty eight, this is now, you know, many many years ago, over fifty years ago, were blind to the outside world. And he remembered the word peon, which is an ode of praise p A e a n. And he wrote a confession essentially in which he said it would be his greatest honor to Peon. Kimmel's sung basically turned the noun into a verb, and yeah, it was just amazing. And of course the North Koreans released that they looked at their Korean American dictionary and thought that they didn't understand that that it was a noun and not a verb. He used it as a verb. Anyway, I got to know him, one of the most courageous people I've ever known in my life. They attempted a court martial and when he came back and John Chaffey, who was the detective of navy, said no, that's not going to happen. And he actually led the d mining of Hyphong Harbor in nineteen seventy five. And I remember talking with the time and I said, I hope you're going to leave a few live ones there. Pete's named Pete Poker, and he said, you can count on that, you know.
Speaker 3: Man. One of the things you're pointing out, which I think your listeners will appreciate because they know it, is that we are the last generation to know some of those great brave men in person from World War Two in Korea and many many people have family members, the parents, grandparents, and I think one of the points of this book was not even to be individual these are truly gripping individual stories, but to remind people of their own memories of people that sacrifice for us and that they admire. And yes, there are World War Two vets in this store, in this book, and there's some really remarkable people. But I will tell you that more often than not, people read these stories and then come back to me with members of their own families, and many of them have done absolutely spectacular things that were for America, and they are not written down anywhere. And you know, you know, that's one of the reasons you've got to get a book like Cherish America to remind you that these people exist.
Speaker 2: Well, you know Booker's experience. He was not a Korean War veteran, because of course, the armist that's been signed in the early well in the mid fifties, and the Pueblo was not captured until the actually was in nineteen sixty eight. January sixty eight, at the height of the Vietnam War. Let me get some phone calls in here real quickly if we can. I'm going to move everybody quickly here. Let me go to Kristin in Wakefield. Kristin first with Robert Charles, go right ahead, Kristin.
Speaker 5: Thank you, mister Childs, mister Ray. I'm so happy to hear that you are speaking of this book Terurish America. I had actually asked for this book at the library and I've made a few attempts and unfortunately the librarians have not been able to locate a book in circulation. And I think it's important for everyone to read and I would love to read it.
Speaker 3: Well, you can get it on Amazon, but I'm with you, it should it's beginning to roll out. Dan, That's that's what I'll say.
Speaker 2: And Kristin, Yeah, okay, Kristiny, that book is available. And as a citizen of Wakefield, as I'm sure you know, at a public library, you have a right to go in and request the book, and I have, I.
Speaker 5: Will and I'll try again. And I'm very happy to hear that you're showcasing this book, and I hope others will pursue it as well.
Speaker 2: Well. Absolutely, Thanks very much, Christina. That's a great suggestion. I appreciate it so much.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Happy New Year. Nancy and Rosslyndale. Nancy next, on Nightside with my guest Robert Charles. Go right ahead, Nancy.
Speaker 6: Hi, Hello, Nancy, Yeah, Hi Charles. You know what I want to tell you that I listened to this program all the time, and I haven't listened to it in a little while.
Speaker 7: I am so.
Speaker 6: Inspired by what you have said in your memories of these things and that you have documented them.
Speaker 7: Since I've been listening to this.
Speaker 6: Program tonight, I have ordered the book on Nightline, I mean Amazon, and I just I admire the fact that you are not only looking at what people do in the military, but what people do in everyday life. You know what you're earlier, what you said earlier about would I do that or wouldn't I do that?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 7: Often, you know, like my dad was the captain of the marine and and my uncle Paul was in Vietnam and I didn't even know he was in Vietnam because he never talked upon her until my cousin died. You know.
Speaker 6: But you know, I I.
Speaker 7: I like to think that I would run into the fire.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: What, what what what I've heard tonight? God bless you.
Speaker 3: Nancy. Yeah, Nancy, I just want to thank you because the spirit that you're talking about we have heroes in our lives, and very often we don't know it. Uh, they don't you know these stories? A lot of these people would never have told these stories unless they were encouraged to tell them. And I will just tell you we one of the reasons I wrote these down. And perhaps your uncle and your and your father will kind of this comes to mind with them. There was a book my kids read growing up in high school, I think called What Is History? The only thing I remember reading it along with them was that if you took all the books in all the libraries in all the world and you put them all together in one pile, they represent less than one half of a percent of what actually happened. And so in the end, if you don't write it down, if we don't remember that these heroes exist in our past, we'll forget them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Nancia, I hate to do this year.
Speaker 2: I want to get one more call.
Speaker 4: Can I say one more thing, Nancy?
Speaker 2: I want to get one other call in. Would you be kind enough to give one other person to say something? Okay, thank you, Nancy? If we go to Joe and Lynn, Joe, I only got about twenty seconds, thirty seconds for you.
Speaker 4: What can you do with a happy New year? Mister Charles, I'd like to ask use your book in audible audio for the blind, that I'm not as happy with America as you are, because I'm visually impairing that a lot of problems. I'd love to read your book as it on our boy. If not, please, the answer is, I'm.
Speaker 3: Going to work to get it on and I will try, and I it's in the plan. I will tell you there are stories about disabled Americans in this book, and it will make you cry to see how courageous, how courageous we are as a people.
Speaker 4: Well, the reason I mentioned it because some of us have fallen through the cracks. Thank you and take care.
Speaker 2: Thanks Robert Charles enjoyed it a lot. Cherish America. Uh, I'm going to give people an opportunity the next hour maybe to talk a little bit. I hope you'll be able to listen up in Maine about what they cherish will America. I want to. I want to carry a love the theme on for the rest of the evening. Robert, thank you.
Speaker 3: So much, so much, look forward to me and God bless you. Okay, bye bye now back catch you by back.
Speaker 2: Catch Okay, here comes the eleven o'clock news. I'm going to ask you to plumb your mind right now and particularly a view of what happened in New Orleans earlier this week. What is it about America that you cherish? That's my question. I suspect my audience will rise to the challenge. Six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven, nine three one ten thirty back on nights Side right after this