Speaker 1: Tired of the everyday grind, ever dream of a life of romantic adventure.
Speaker 2: I want to get away from it all.
Speaker 3: We offer you.
Speaker 4: Escape, Escape, designed to free you from the four walls of today for a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 1: You are on a remote island and the war torn Pacific, a paradise of tropic splendor, where sounds of battle are far behind. While walking slowly towards you our arms stretched out to you is the most beautiful girl in the world whose embrace could mean you of death.
Speaker 4: Listen now as Escape brings you Millard Kaufman's exciting story The Island.
Speaker 2: The problem was what could I do with Robert Lacy do the album? Have a dream book candy with all the charts and categories precisely arranged in alphabetical order. Well, in it you'll find a dream for loneliness, about girls and soft summary dresses. You'll find a dream for hunger two pounds steak, perhaps smothered oliver with limb chops. There are dreams for the traveler of a hometown far away and long ago. But find me a dream of a place you've never seen, a place that doesn't exist, awake or asleep, that was Lacey's dream, Corporal Robert Lacey, second Battalion, fourth Marines. Harmless enough dream, I guess, and not to be taken seriously, or so it seemed, until that night when Lacy's dream became my problem. May It was nineteen forty five in a little wood on Okinawa.
Speaker 5: Okay to Bory, and I guess I got it.
Speaker 2: Where are we anyhow?
Speaker 3: Had a couple of three mines behind jack lines. Oh fie, you'll worry.
Speaker 1: Too much power, even for a guy on his first patrol.
Speaker 2: Well, I've been thinking of it as my last.
Speaker 3: Relax like me, and you'll live forever.
Speaker 6: Oh was I nothing?
Speaker 1: There's a screaming Mimi got a kind of a tail adjustment that cuts the winds, sort of screams.
Speaker 3: Jap usually scares.
Speaker 2: Well, they sure succeeded you scare easy though, Sure, sure, I'm I'm gonna pushover for that shrekle kite stuff.
Speaker 5: Shrek likite.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what kind of jive is that?
Speaker 2: Well, it means terror of fightfulness German. German's got a whole arsenal of terror weapons.
Speaker 1: Japsy got a feel themselves.
Speaker 3: What do you say we sack in sack in here. It's as good as the next place.
Speaker 2: The lash up. It's three miles behind jap line.
Speaker 3: You got no chance of getting back tonight. Get knocked off. We tried you take the first watch. I'm gonna sack in.
Speaker 2: You're going to sleep.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Maybe I'll just sit here and dream.
Speaker 2: You're sure picking a fine time for it.
Speaker 3: Hey, I would tell you about my island.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you told me. You must have told me fifty sixty times in the past month.
Speaker 1: All right, so I'll tell you again. Now, this island. It's a sort of a special place, you see. There's no rain and no jungle rock, no war, just a quiet, cozy spot where a man can lay down under a banyan tree and live off the fat of the land.
Speaker 2: Oh, there is no such place.
Speaker 1: And honest, I want a man that never go hungry. All you gotta do is fish a little with the natives.
Speaker 3: And they're all big man, and they're.
Speaker 1: Friendly, not liking nips, and all the dames are beautiful.
Speaker 2: You know something, Lacey, you return, That's.
Speaker 1: Where I'm fixing to go as soon as I can find it. I'm never going back Stateside. I'm gonna laid down unto that little banyan.
Speaker 3: Tree and arrest.
Speaker 2: I let him rave on? What else could I argue with him? There? I was three miles deep in enemy lines with a stranger, his eyes narrowed in a thousand yards stare, rush of words like a nervous twitch. He raved on about a place that doesn't exist with me, big men and beautiful women.
Speaker 3: Like nothing you ever saw, all surrounded by the mists.
Speaker 2: And then I found myself listening it sort of hypnotized, and I learned something about corporal lacy and what combat woriness means. He foraged too long among the rotten bombs card pebbles of the Pacific olders. It seemed too much death, too many crack ups.
Speaker 3: I will back.
Speaker 2: It was himself half cracked and slightly dead, barely held together by the taut and twisted wires of his dream. So what could I do?
Speaker 3: Argue with me on the island too, And I'm gonna find me a beautiful girl.
Speaker 2: No bory, Yeah, yeah, I'm listening.
Speaker 5: Look Taburi out there coming towardoise where over there about two o'clock.
Speaker 2: There's a whole bunch of men.
Speaker 3: No, it's not a bunch of four, Three men of them and a woman.
Speaker 2: They hadn't right for us.
Speaker 3: Put that rifle down.
Speaker 1: What's the matter, you flip or something? They're not chaps. The men are too big. But it's funny the woman with him though.
Speaker 2: Maybe his eyes were better than mine. But how could I trust that brain as all festive with dreaming.
Speaker 1: But I tell you they're not Japs, and the dame is beautiful. Only i'd listened to Lacey then, if only i'd know him, but Japs and a Japs.
Speaker 2: I was taking no chances. I raised my rifle and.
Speaker 3: Not that off hit the woman. Now I'm gonna see if she is hurt back.
Speaker 2: Come on, Lacy's lay tone goes, you know that Jackson might be a trick.
Speaker 3: Don't worry about me, Lick go listen.
Speaker 2: You get yourself killed, not me, for you.
Speaker 3: I'll live to spit in your grave.
Speaker 4: Now lit call me all right, all right, I just hold you know what you're doing.
Speaker 2: I don't want to get involved in New York Cocker many dreams, you know, dreams.
Speaker 3: It's no dream so Bory you'll find.
Speaker 2: Out, okay, Lacey, So where is she? That's funny.
Speaker 3: She must be around here somewhere.
Speaker 2: Maybe we may what's that.
Speaker 3: They came from over there. Come on, Ah, there she is.
Speaker 2: She's scared of.
Speaker 3: Us, lady.
Speaker 1: It's all right, lady. Hi, No, we won't hurt you.
Speaker 6: Lady, I I heard you.
Speaker 3: Gosh, she's bluffing her. I got your first daid. H yeah, look lady, let me fix your arm. Huh.
Speaker 1: You see, we we got bandages, had easy tape.
Speaker 3: And a seller.
Speaker 2: She don't get what you're talking about, and she.
Speaker 3: Gets the idea. All right, that's right, lady. Just won't hurt a bit.
Speaker 1: Eh, you just got nicked a little, that's said, just a flesh wound.
Speaker 3: She trust you, Yeah, she trust me more than you do. Didn't I tell you?
Speaker 2: She was beautiful? And you told me a lot of things. How about the men? She was with? The big men?
Speaker 1: She was with 'em, and they weren't jabs, not jopp in a pig's eye, not jabbo.
Speaker 3: There you see?
Speaker 2: Well then what were they?
Speaker 6: The whoa? Ah? You see my people?
Speaker 2: Who are you? What are you? What's your name?
Speaker 1: Name?
Speaker 6: Takey?
Speaker 7: I am.
Speaker 6: No, can't see in English? But please go away, please if you go away fast?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: You scared her again, Look, dokey, it's all right. Everything's gonna be all right, you just come with us.
Speaker 6: No, I go home. Let's go home.
Speaker 3: So go home, scram Lady loves yourself. Oh no, you don't, lady, you'll keep up.
Speaker 2: Let her go, Let her go back to a rice. Cattie were here?
Speaker 3: You still don't catch to bory. She A'm from Okinawa. She's from that island I was telling you about from your goshy you goushy she shea must say shama means island.
Speaker 6: Yes, I am all right?
Speaker 2: All right? Then what are you doing here?
Speaker 7: I do not know?
Speaker 6: Would your Panese bring on canoe?
Speaker 2: She's crazy than you are? Whoever? Shut up?
Speaker 3: Takey? Where is your island? Huh? Where is Yo? Gotchi?
Speaker 6: In east? In China? Sea A stay from Okinawa? My canoe?
Speaker 2: Canoe?
Speaker 3: Well, what's it like, Taki?
Speaker 2: Well? What's your island? Lay lacy? Never mind the got them? Let's find that canoe. Come on, don't you see where the canoe? We can get back to our lines by water.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you've got something there, Taki, can you find a canoe?
Speaker 3: I come on.
Speaker 2: Let's go. She led us on through the wood. A lopsided moon came up and its rays filled through the clouds and downs of the jagged trees in the moonlight. She was like one of those porcelain figurines, delicate with a peculiar tint to her skin. I'm like anything id of it seen before. It's like the shade of waxed ivory, ancient ivory. Her hair was long and black, drawn tight over her head. She was straight and slim. She walked with dignity. She was beautiful, as beautiful as a dream, Lacy's dream. But dreams don't come true, not like this yet. Here she was just the way he described and the three men and the island that I couldn't figure it out because just then I didn't have time. Lacy. Yeah, come on, Tucky, let us down a slope to the water. There were canoes and leaning against a prow with two sentries. They were safe, They thought three miles behind their lines snug is two bugs in a mosquito, and that they were so safe they didn't know what hit on.
Speaker 3: Turkey in the canoe. Huh, all right, push off to Bori yo, if you take a bow. Huh, sit down, coming, we're to straight up in the channel. You know what I think, Huh? I think we're gonna.
Speaker 1: Make it okay to Bory, we can take it easy.
Speaker 2: Now I'm not taking it easy. Little cross our perimeter.
Speaker 3: How you're gonna tell at night? Oh, maybe you think I got neon signs.
Speaker 1: Huh, Well maybe we're seal landmark or something. Distances can fool you at night, we're able to paddle right into a platoon of nips.
Speaker 2: They were to we do, Lacy, it'll.
Speaker 1: Stand by the morning and head for our convoy.
Speaker 3: We'll ride ashore in style, in an LST.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think it'd be better for Look whatever, you think, you're out voted. You're out voted two stripes to.
Speaker 1: One when you're pulling rank corporal. Well why not knucklehead? The ship's got one skipper and I met, Oh, you're like a lot.
Speaker 3: I want any stuff out of you. I'll knock it on you now more thing. You don't fill up this detail?
Speaker 2: So what was I going to do? Argue with you? Start a private firefight in the middle of the China Sea. I was getting a little combat worry myself. But Lacy, he was all charged up, as though his crazy dream had come true. Lying on the narrow deck of the knew I could hear Lacy and the more I heard, the more confused I got.
Speaker 3: It's not like other islands.
Speaker 6: Is a tucky?
Speaker 2: Is what different?
Speaker 6: I wish I could tell you.
Speaker 3: How I know it's pretty.
Speaker 6: He's very pretty.
Speaker 1: It is sufficient good, it's good, and we have teeth.
Speaker 3: Car I knew it.
Speaker 2: I knew it. Cows and pigs and Lacy getting all it's hopped up about them. Well, that was the last thing I remembered. I guess I fell asleep, and then suddenly it.
Speaker 3: Was daylight and I look to Bory. What look over there? What do you see?
Speaker 2: An island? Just an island.
Speaker 3: It's not just an island. That's my island.
Speaker 2: What's a special about it?
Speaker 3: We look at it. It's surrounded by myst just like a tell it to.
Speaker 2: The troops when we get back to Okinawa.
Speaker 1: But to BORI stand by for a ram. We ain't going back to Okinawa. Hey, no, wait, I don't want any more trouble from you, Tobori.
Speaker 2: Well, and don't make any your og Hey what looking? You're right boom.
Speaker 3: I don't bother because I got it right here.
Speaker 2: Now you get born, You're crazy?
Speaker 3: Want to move to Bory. You're flirting with a purple heart. All right, now, lean on that paddle. That's right, we're heading for you. Gotchi.
Speaker 2: Our canoe scraped the coral beach that you got you about four hours later. It was a lovely island with terraced hills and patches of tilled soil checkering the greenery.
Speaker 3: Well, Sean's believe that's a Bory.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't believe it so close to Okinaw? Where are your people?
Speaker 3: Taki O over here?
Speaker 6: But you must not come you.
Speaker 3: No, I'm sticking around. How about you to bury? Oh?
Speaker 2: I came this for us? What d not just for last?
Speaker 3: Are you're going to laugh out of the wrong side of your face?
Speaker 7: What you mean?
Speaker 2: That's just a figure of speech talking. Let's go. So there. I was caught up in Lacey's dream when all the time I should have taken off at high poort for Okinawa. I should have known better, but I didn't. And what you don't know can hurt you.
Speaker 3: Hey, look at that car to Bory.
Speaker 2: I could eat it out of the hole.
Speaker 3: I tell you, I'm going to live off the feederal land.
Speaker 2: The trails snaked upward, and there were scarlet flowers and lilies and the sword grass, all very nice. I suppose, but I was looking for people, the big men of Lacey's dream. The girl's all as lovely as the girl beside us. I was tense with expectancy at each bend in the trail. But Lacey's tensions had all vanished. He lost them because he had found Taki.
Speaker 6: Oh but.
Speaker 3: No, Daky, my name's Lacey. No not try once more?
Speaker 2: Gray, Lacey Tacky a.
Speaker 3: Hell like in the this is a lily, You are a lady and your local the bory. I'm gonna sluck you.
Speaker 7: You.
Speaker 6: You were so funny, racy.
Speaker 1: When you laugh, you laugh nice, Tucky.
Speaker 6: It is first time in five years. It is time I am happy.
Speaker 1: Maybe you were waiting for me to make you happy like I was waiting for you.
Speaker 6: What do you mean, Lacy?
Speaker 1: Well, I I mean, oh well here.
Speaker 3: This is for you.
Speaker 6: Why you give me flower?
Speaker 2: I love you, Turkey.
Speaker 6: No, No, you can't know.
Speaker 3: Why, Tucky.
Speaker 6: You don't know. I don't know how to say. You do not know me.
Speaker 1: I know you have been dreaming about you for two years and you find you.
Speaker 6: I never fucking what you'll say.
Speaker 3: I'll never let you forget.
Speaker 1: Oh La, Lacey, honey, hell, I can love.
Speaker 2: They walked on together up the trail, a tall marine and a slim girl with the ivory skin with a flower in her hand. Now and then she'd look at the flower, and then she'd look at Lacy in a pained expression of cloud her face. And though she didn't understand, I didn't either, But I had to find out. Man, what a client there ought to be easier for. I give me back my rifle.
Speaker 3: Don't worry about me. I'll get by.
Speaker 2: Oh we got it like this the summer, the.
Speaker 6: Highest point on you're got you see down there? Follow me and body right.
Speaker 3: Hey, look look at them my people. I told you they were big men.
Speaker 2: How can you tell from this distance?
Speaker 3: Well, look how broad they are.
Speaker 2: It's funny how they're all on a bunch like, hey, listen.
Speaker 5: What maybe it's what you call it a ceremony or something.
Speaker 6: Huh it is?
Speaker 3: Well, maybe it's for us. I bet they know we're coming.
Speaker 6: No, it's for with it.
Speaker 3: What happened?
Speaker 2: You suppose that the war the.
Speaker 6: Wall was here. It's just my people die.
Speaker 1: Everybody's people die. He's just gotta happen sooner or later.
Speaker 2: Never heard. It's a well point.
Speaker 3: Why don't you drop dead to Bori, let's go talking.
Speaker 2: We went down the mountain side, down to a cape that jutted into the Pacific like a narl finger of doom. Bar away, we saw a village. We headed toward it through a sunless gorge. At the far end was a thatched hut. Looks like it's empty, as any fool could see.
Speaker 6: You wait here. I come back soon with Hitman.
Speaker 1: You speak English, No, Bory, you.
Speaker 3: You're gonna stay here with me?
Speaker 2: No, I see. I just want one good look at your big men and beautiful women in the native habitat, and I'm off for Oknawa.
Speaker 3: He's still won't proof.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And there's something strange about this place. I want to know what it is.
Speaker 3: It's not strange, it's just different.
Speaker 2: Like I say, you're all fouled up lacy in a dream. I'm not sure what it's all about, but I gotta find out or it'll drive me crazy the rest of my life.
Speaker 3: You mean crazy like me.
Speaker 2: I didn't say that.
Speaker 3: You know, since we left Okanawa you've been giving me a bad time.
Speaker 2: That's mutually.
Speaker 3: Now you just call me crazy.
Speaker 2: I know what I said, I know what you think.
Speaker 3: I know what you'll do.
Speaker 1: Once you get back to Kanawa, you'll tell the MPs I went over the hill, and you'll tell them where I am.
Speaker 3: They'll come after me.
Speaker 2: You are crazy.
Speaker 3: I'm just crazy enough to make sure you keep your trap shut. You remember Tobori, I said I'd be around to spit in your grave.
Speaker 2: He stopped kidding. Wrong with that rifle.
Speaker 1: I'm kidding. I'm gonna kill you, Tobory. But first you're gonna see I was right. I want to see the expression on that smart, I like face of yours when you admit.
Speaker 3: It, and then I'm gonna kill you.
Speaker 2: I get back in that corner. Keep you my shout.
Speaker 3: Hello you the headman.
Speaker 2: I suppose you could call me that?
Speaker 6: His name Eroshi?
Speaker 8: What can I do for you?
Speaker 1: I I want to stay here well with Taki.
Speaker 8: I'm afraid you cannot well.
Speaker 3: I work my way.
Speaker 8: That is not the point you look.
Speaker 1: I don't want no arguments out of you.
Speaker 2: You can't not stay well? Why she is a leper?
Speaker 1: Huh?
Speaker 6: But she.
Speaker 2: She's so beautiful.
Speaker 8: Yes, I know, my son, but in three years, five years, god.
Speaker 6: Kid, I try to tell you what I did not know how, but then I w if I wanted to, I wanted to do last, one more, one more me.
Speaker 2: They stood there facing each other, the tall marine and the girl with the ivory skin, with the flowers still in her hand. Hour already beginning the world.
Speaker 6: Good bye, thank you, through the floor.
Speaker 2: Can't you go? I? Uh you hiroshi? What's this all about?
Speaker 8: Which is quite simple? Two nights ago the Japanese came to the leper colony. They took more than half my patients to okn hour, headed toward the American High Book. Why to disrupt your advance? There was no chance of contagion? But well, my patients do not all look as lovely as turkey. I see Shrek like exactly, the weapon of terror.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't glory? Yeah, all right, I guess we're better move out. You're ready pout? Yeah, it's a long road.
Speaker 2: Back to o Canawa.
Speaker 8: For me is that.
Speaker 3: The road back is longer than that.
Speaker 7: The correction of any Ellens, those brought to the islands to buy Ellen Poplin. Sorry, don't you know that's the William Conrad's lay. The cabs were Michael and Bellett, Jack and Robert Ediponial supervisess by John Beson, and the special music for Escape is composed and conducted by a beak stupid.
Speaker 5: Next week.
Speaker 7: You're standing in a dark room and the heart of Russians dress to the uncle prisons your fine torture and the likeness. But a closer sets from your applely smiling us is a keep of Russian spy who intends to drive you to antenati or to set so lit. The next week when escape, when's your? John Dader is exciting story. A man with a single bea