Speaker 1: Imagine this scenario, a multi billion dollar fraud scheme right blown wide open just by a single email or maybe a Loane thumb drive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or think about a vandal documenting their own crime on YouTube using their phone, thinking they're completely.
Speaker 1: Anonymous, exactly. And this isn't science fiction, is it. It's the real world of computer forensics.
Speaker 2: It really is. And today we're taking a deep dive into that pretty fascinating world. We're using excerpts from Hacking Exposed Computer Forensics, second Edition, And you know, the book itself says this isn't an incident response handbook. It's more of a guide to understanding how digital evidence really changes investigations.
Speaker 1: That's a really important distinction. So our mission for you, our listener, is to sort of unpack how these forensic investigators uncover those well invisible digital footprints.
Speaker 2: From really complex corporate fraud like that multi billion dollar example, down to individual misconduct, and.
Speaker 1: We'll look at what it takes to make that evidence actually stand up in court, how the field has evolved, the tools, the techniques, and.
Speaker 2: Really why it's just so vital in today's world, which is, let's face it, completely driven by information.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's unravel it. Where do we start the evolution?
Speaker 2: Maybe, yeah, let's zoom out a bit. Computer forensics has just fundamentally changed investigations since say two thousand and four, when the first edition of this book came out. Right back then, investigators, you know, they spent ages wading through paper documents.
Speaker 1: Mountains of them, I can picture it.
Speaker 2: But now electronic evidence it's not just a piece of the puzzle. It's off in front and center. It's crucial for figuring out not just what happened, but the intent behind it all.
Speaker 1: Intent, right, that's key.
Speaker 2: Think about the huge financial crises like two thousand and eight, two thousand and nine, subprime mortgages, all that stuff. Digital forensics was absolutely essential in exposing the fraud underneath it all.
Speaker 1: That's a massive shift. And it's not just about the technology itself, is it. There's a big human element here too. Oh.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. The author's Aaron Phillip, John Lovelin, Rudy Peck, Peter Marcatos, Andrew Rosen, and the technical editor Luis Sharinghausen Junior. They come from really diverse backgrounds. You've got high tech investigations, ip theft experts, law enforcement folks from the EPA's Criminal Investigation Division. Wow, even people from the National Computer Forensics Lab, Electronic Crimes Team, and commercial litigation.
Speaker 1: So it really underscores that blend. You need the technical skills and the legal know how definitely.
Speaker 2: And one thing the book does which is quite clever, is use these attack icons and countermeasure icons.
Speaker 1: Okay, tell me about those. How do they help someone understand?
Speaker 2: Well, think of them as like signals for you, the listener. An attack icon highlights something that could mess up an investigation, like what, for instance, like an investigator accidentally writing data onto the original evidence drive while they're trying to copy it. That's a huge no.
Speaker 1: No, right, that would compromise it. So if the attack icon warns you, what does the countermeasure icon?
Speaker 2: The countermeasure shows you exactly what to do to avoid that problem. So, for that hard drive example, the countermeasure is correctly hashing the drive.
Speaker 1: Hashing like creating a unique digital fingerprint.
Speaker 2: Exactly a fingerprint, and then you verify that fingerprint after you've made the copy of the image. Okay, And the book rates these risks based on popularity. How often does this happen? Simplicity? How easy is it to make this mistake impact, how bad is the damage? And then a final risk rating.
Speaker 1: So it's all about making sure that evidence is, as you said, unassailable.
Speaker 2: Precisely. Unassailable is the word, because when we get to the Bedrock principles, the core idea is that evidence must be defensible, it must be unassailable. Why because it's almost certainly going to end up in court.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what are those absolute must do safeguards the non negotiables.
Speaker 2: Well, first and foremost, you've got the chain of custody. This isn't just paperwork. It's a super meticulous record, right. It shows exactly who had the evidence, when, what they did with it, basically proving it hasn't been tampered with.
Speaker 1: How do they prove that digitally?
Speaker 2: Using those cryptographic hashing functions we mentioned MD five SAHA one, they create that unique digital fingerprint at key moments. If even one tiny bit.
Speaker 1: Of data changes, the fingerprint changes, the.
Speaker 2: Fingerprint changes, proof of tampering or at least proof that something changed.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's like a digital tamper proof seal, got it? What else is critical?
Speaker 2: Then there's completeness. Investigators have to and the book says this look in every nook and cranny.
Speaker 1: Every nook and cranny.
Speaker 2: Why so exhaustive because, as the book puts it, lawyers hate new evidence popping up unexpectedly in court.
Speaker 1: Uh. I can imagine it.
Speaker 2: Can completely derail a case. No client wants that kind of surprise, especially when you know their reputation or even freedom is on the line.
Speaker 1: So meticulousness is key. What about the human factor bias?
Speaker 2: Maybe good point that leads to bias awareness. This field demands full disclosure. Absolute impartiality makes sense. The book even suggests bringing in a third party firm if there's any potential conflict of interest, like, uh, maybe the lead investigator head dinner at the suspects house two years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that wouldn't look good.
Speaker 2: Any hint of impropriety can just sink the evidence in court.
Speaker 1: Okay. So to manage all this complexity, is there like a standard process?
Speaker 2: There is actually the Electronic Discovery Reference Model or EDRM. It came about in May.
Speaker 1: Two thousand and five DRM. Okay.
Speaker 2: It basically provides a standard framework brings some order to analyzing and producing electronic data for legal stuff.
Speaker 1: What are the first steps in that model?
Speaker 2: The initial steps are crucial first define the scope what are we looking for? Then identify all the places data might be PCs, phones, cloud storage, you name it right. Then you strategize how to preserve that data, lock it down and critically establish that chain of custody as soon.
Speaker 1: As possible, preserve document.
Speaker 2: Only after all that groundwork has done, should investigators even start to preview the data, and only using forensically sound tools, you know, to make sure they don't accidentally change anything.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's the process Bedrock. Now let's get out of the digital hood. What are the computers themselves? The book uses a.
Speaker 2: Cool analogy, yeah, the human body analogy. It compares computer modules, biosos, processor, hard disk to things like the heart, lungs, eyes. Well, each part does simple tasks, right, but when they work together they perform incredibly complex functions. Same with the computer, simple parts, complex results.
Speaker 1: That's a great way to think about it. And hard drives they get special mention.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, marvels of modern engineering. They talk about the platter spinning and the read write heads flying over them. The analogy is like a mock one plane just two feet off the runway. That's how close and fast they operate.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's incredible precision.
Speaker 2: And for newer systems they mention SaaS drives that serial attached SCSI. It's an evolution of the older SESI interface, offering much faster speeds, which is really important when you're trying to be huge amounts of data quickly.
Speaker 1: So modern storage is amazing. Yeah, what about older stuff? What if the evidence isn't on a super fast SAS drive? What challenges pop up? Then?
Speaker 2: You mean the eight tracks of the computing world.
Speaker 1: Floppy disks, floppy discs. I remember those.
Speaker 2: They're actually surprisingly tough physically, But the book warns, woe be the investigator who has to deal with them? Why is that their formatting methods were often really obscure, poorly documented. It can be like digital archaeology, just trying to get the data off.
Speaker 1: Them, so like digging up ancient artifacts. Yeah, do investigators actually run into these much anymore more.
Speaker 2: Than you'd think, especially with older systems, maybe long running fraud cases. And then you have tape backups? Oh yeah, servers often use tapes right, commonly used for servers, but extracting evidence from them. The book calls it a dicey proposition at best. Dicey Yeah, because there's just so much variety in the hardware the software. You might find date tapes, dlt L. Each one is its own little puzzle to figure out, like a nightmare it can be. And then moving to more modern stuff, you have memory technologies, memory cards, digital cameras, MP three players, smartphones. They're everywhere exactly and they are very frequent sources of evidence. The absolute key principle when handling these is read only. You cannot risk modifying the data accidentally.
Speaker 1: Read only got it. So once you understand the devices, you need the right place to work on them, the forensic fortress, the lab. What makes a good lab, A.
Speaker 2: Well equipped lab is non negotiable. You need serious processing power, a big monitor for detailed work, external drive bays, lots of RAM fast internal drives like SATA or SCSI.
Speaker 1: So powerful gear, But what about securing the lab itself and the evidence within it?
Speaker 2: Security is layered physically. You need high grade materials for locks, multiple authentication methods, pins, maybe fingerprints, and detailed logs of who who enters and leaves.
Speaker 1: The last makes sense, keep track of everyone.
Speaker 2: Network isolation is also critical. An air gap physically disconnected from outside networks or at least a very robust firewall. You have to protect your trusted forensic systems from well, curious and malicious crackers out there.
Speaker 1: Keep the bad guys out.
Speaker 2: And don't forget environmental stuff, fire protection, automatic suppression systems, fireproof storage, to guard against unforeseen natural disaster. You're building a protective.
Speaker 1: Bubble, okay, a secure bubble. What tools are essential inside that bubble? What can't an investigator work without?
Speaker 2: Right blockers? Absolutely essential. These are forensically sound devices. Think of them like a diode or a check valve for data.
Speaker 1: A check valve. How does that work?
Speaker 2: It ensures data can only travel one way from the evidence drive to the forensic workstation. It physically stops the computer from running back to the evidence drive.
Speaker 1: Ah, preventing those axidle modifications we talked about.
Speaker 2: Exactly which could make the evidence useless in court.
Speaker 1: That's clever, like a one way street for data. What about investigators working out outside the lab in the field, Yeah.
Speaker 2: They need a field kit. It's got essentials. Permanent markers for labeling everything, clearly, anti static bags to protect the electronic.
Speaker 1: Basic but crucial stuff.
Speaker 2: Very crucial and for really sensitive drives, especially if you're traveling. The advices use padded boxes and if you have to hand carry them on the plane, don't check them. Protect that evidence.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you've got the lab, the tools, the mindset. Now the actual hunt for data. How do you collect evidence from say a single computer in a forensically sound way.
Speaker 2: It's very methodical, almost like a ritual. First step, power down the system properly, then physically disconnect the power cord, eject any media CDs, DVDs, USBs. And the book even mentions the old paper clip trick for a stubborn CD ROM drive.
Speaker 1: Ah, good old paper.
Speaker 2: Clip, and this is vital. Fill out a separate chain of custody form for every single item you remove, every hard drive, every flash drive, every DiscT document, everything.
Speaker 1: Every single piece tracked. Okay, Then comes imaging the drive right, that sounds critical.
Speaker 2: It is the critical step. This is where tools like end case or the DD command and Linux smart ftk immager come in.
Speaker 1: What do they do exactly?
Speaker 2: Their main job is to create an exact bit for bit copy of forensic image of the original drive. Every file, every deleted fragment, all the hidden data gets preserved.
Speaker 1: The perfect snapshot.
Speaker 2: Yes, and a crucial point. When you're imaging a drive on a Windows system, you must use a hardware right blocker. Why specifically Windows, because Windows automatically tries to write system information, timestams, log entries to any new drive it sees. If you connect and evidence drive directly, Windows will write to it instantly, compromising its integrity. The right blocker prevents that.
Speaker 1: Got it essential for Windows. So once you have the image, the snapshot, what's next, bag and tag.
Speaker 2: Exactly, you properly label the original drive using tamperproof peel and stick labels. Document everything on the label and in your logs. Then secure storage a locked location, access strictly controlled, only authorized personnel, ready for court.
Speaker 1: Okay, that covers the traditional approach. But things are changing, right, Remote investigations are becoming more common.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the whole business climate is pushing things that way. Thing wrongful termination suits, IP, theft, new regulations, it's all forcing current forensic approaches to evolve.
Speaker 1: As the book says, how.
Speaker 2: So, well, you've got global companies, massive amounts of data spread everywhere, and tricky workplace privacy issues. Sending an investigator on site isn't always practical or even possible anymore.
Speaker 1: And privacy. Yeah, that sounds like a minefield.
Speaker 2: It can be. The book highlights a major pitfall violating private sector workplace privacy. If a company doesn't have a clear acceptable Use policy an AUP, or just a clear policy on employee privacy expectations that employees have acknowledged, that company is really exposed to liability.
Speaker 1: So what's the fix?
Speaker 2: The countermeasure a well written AUP that employees actually sign off on. It needs to clearly state what's allowed, what's monitored, and what the expectation of privacy is or isn't on company systems. That's the company's.
Speaker 1: Legal shield, crucial for any business listening. Yeah, so if physical collection is hard, what's the remote alternative tools?
Speaker 2: Like in case enterprise. Their true power, according to the book, is accessing data on a live system remotely.
Speaker 1: Without physically taking the drive.
Speaker 2: Exactly, with just a few clicks, you can potentially access and image the data. You can even do it covertly sometimes covertly. Yeah, though you always have to consider network speed. Imaging terabytes over a slow connection that could still take days, but it avoids the need for physical access.
Speaker 1: Okay, and what about those little USB drives you mentioned them? Earlier. They seem like a huge risk for companies losing data.
Speaker 2: Oh, a gigantic risk for corporations, especially for IP theft people just walking out with sensitive data.
Speaker 1: How to investigators track those? They seem so easy to hide.
Speaker 2: That's where digital footprints get really specific. Investigators dive into the Windows registry.
Speaker 1: The registry like the computer's central logbook sort of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a huge database of settings and activity. They look specifically at a key called USB store USB store yep, it's like a guestbook for USB devices. It logs when a device was last plugged in. Even better, it often records the device's unique hard coded serial number the instanciety that's a very reliable way to track a specific thumb drive.
Speaker 1: Wow, so even a simple USB stick leaves a pretty clear trail. What about other user actions? How do you piece together what a suspect has taken or done on the computer?
Speaker 2: Now? Really unmasking activity? Take Microsoft Office documents. They're often full of hidden metadata.
Speaker 1: Get a data like data about the.
Speaker 2: Data exactly hidden fields called custom properties, things like review, cycleide, author, email, even email subject. This stuff can directly link a user to a document, sometimes even showing the email addressing CA.
Speaker 1: Came from hidden right inside the file.
Speaker 2: Sometimes, but interestingly, this info is often stored outside the main document file, in little companion files like adhosse dot rcd or review dot rcd.
Speaker 1: That's sneaky, so much hidden info.
Speaker 2: And investigators can also search for something called the PI, which can lead to the document's unique MC address m MAC address.
Speaker 1: That's like the network cards fingerprint.
Speaker 2: Precisely, it's like the VIN number for the network card on the computer that created or last saved the document. A very powerful identifier.
Speaker 1: Okay, so documents, bill secrets. What about web browsing. Let's start with the Internet explore. People use that for ages.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and here's the interesting thing about IE. Even though it's old, it's kind of a digital tattletale. Also, because it was so deeply woven into Windows, it left tracks everywhere. Every click, every site visit often got logged and hidden files called index.
Speaker 1: Dot dot index dot det.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They act like lookup tables for browsing history, cash files, cookies, and cookies themselves store useful stuff like use names, site preferences. It's often less about what they searched for and more about proving they were on a certain side at a certain time.
Speaker 1: So even if you think you deleted your history, IE might still hold clues. What about Firefox? Is it different?
Speaker 2: Firefox is generally a bit tidier. Its files are more consolidated, usually easier for investigators to parse.
Speaker 1: Except uh oh, except what?
Speaker 2: Except for its history file format called m ork. The book does not mince words here. It calls m ork what happens when open source goes bad?
Speaker 1: Oh? Why so harsh?
Speaker 2: Apparently it's just a really complex, difficult format to extract reliable data from, sometimes a real headache for investigators.
Speaker 1: Good to know. Okay. Besides browsers and documents, what else? In Windows tracks user activity?
Speaker 2: There's a really important artifact called user assists.
Speaker 1: User assists, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Think of it as Windows keeping notes on what programs you run. It logs the application's name, its path, how many times you run it, and the last time you ran it.
Speaker 1: That sounds incredibly useful.
Speaker 2: It is especially for spotting programs run from a USB drive, or even figuring out what applications were used right before they got deleted. It shows intent and action.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's shift here slightly specialized investigations. Mobile devices. First, They are everywhere.
Speaker 2: Absolutely permeated our lives, as the book says, and because people are so comfortable with them, they sometimes will take risks they wouldn't normally take, like.
Speaker 1: The examples we started with documenting crimes on their.
Speaker 2: Phones exactly, or the book mentions a gangster taking a picture of a deceased person with his phone. That casualness, that comfort level, it's nothing but good for investigators.
Speaker 1: Grim But I see the point, and the tech has changed massively since two thousand and.
Speaker 2: Four, huge changes from those early PDA cell phone combos to today's smartphones. Tools have evolved too. Parabin's Device Seizure, for instance, can pull data from literally hundreds of models of cell phones. What kind of data call logs, contacts, text messages, SMS, mms, sometimes even deleted stuff or voice recordings In case also has tools for older palm ost devices.
Speaker 1: What's the biggest challenge with phones?
Speaker 2: Passwords and encryption are often the big hurdle. Getting past lock screens requires specialized techniques, sometimes specialized hardware.
Speaker 1: Right, so phones are one specialized area. What about massive enterprise storage terabytes of data on raids, sands NAS systems.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dealing with systems holding terabytes of data that weren't really designed for easy desktop access is another big challenge.
Speaker 1: How do they tackle say arrayed array.
Speaker 2: For raids you often have to image each disc individually and then reconstruct the array digitally. For some network attached storage NAS systems, you might even need to take the system offline for a whole day to get a clean image. It can be disruptive.
Speaker 1: And tapes still tricking, Still.
Speaker 2: Tricky, Yeah, same issues with varied hardware and software. But tapes do have one unique advantage that physical rite protect tab.
Speaker 1: Ah like on old floppy discs or VHS tapes, a built in hardware right blocker.
Speaker 2: Exactly, a nice little forensic safeguard built right in.
Speaker 1: So with all this data terabytes, how on earth do investigators search through it efficiently? It sounds impossible.
Speaker 2: That's where full text indexing is a life saver. Tools like Glimpse or Access datas FTK use clever indexing methods like binary search trees.
Speaker 1: Binary search trees.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a way to organize the data so you can search massive amounts terabytes of data in seconds. Literally. It lets investigators zero in on keywords or relevant files incredibly quickly. Huge time saver.
Speaker 1: Okay, investigation done, data analyze. Now the endgame reporting and the justice system reporting seems crucial.
Speaker 2: It's one of the most crucial parts, the book argues, because if you can't clearly explain your findings communicate.
Speaker 1: The facts, all that hard work was for nothing.
Speaker 2: All of your hard work will be for not exactly.
Speaker 1: Forensic tools generate technical reports, sure, but those aren't the final product.
Speaker 2: What makes a good final report, then, say, for internal use, it.
Speaker 1: Needs an executive summary, high level, easy for a non technical person like an executive to grasp the key findings. The evidence needs clear annotations explaining why it's relevant, and often you convert the final report to PDF to lock it down prevent changes. Okay, and then there are more formal legal documents, declarations, affidavits right.
Speaker 2: Declarations are typically for judges or lawyers. They need non technical language, clear paragraph numbering for easy reference, and affidavits add a layer of formality, a notarized signature that gives them stronger legal weight.
Speaker 1: What about testifying as an expert witness? That report is different again.
Speaker 2: Yes, and the key thing here is discoverability. As a testifying expert, your opinions are independent, but your work product everything related to forming that opinion. Everything, every document, every email notes, maybe even a doodle on a napkin if it relates to the case. It's all potentially discoverable by the opposing side and open for questioning. No secrets.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's intense pressure takes And how does the court process itself differ for digital evidence in criminal versus civil cases.
Speaker 2: In criminal cases, law enforcement usually seizes the original media. An interesting point the book makes is that the victim, the complainant, can sometimes lose control over their own crime scene once law enforcement takes over.
Speaker 1: Huh, didn't think of that.
Speaker 2: And civil cases, civil courts often give more control to the private parties involved in the lawsuit. They might manage the collection and analysis more directly, often hiring their own forensic experts.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's bring it back to real world impact. Yeah, fraud and IP theft. IP theft sounds devastating for companies.
Speaker 2: It has a truly detrimental impact, loss of customers, losing your competitive edge, profits eroding. And it's not just about someone copying source code anymore. It includes stealing customer data, trade secrets, really valuable stuff.
Speaker 1: How do investigators typically find evidence of that?
Speaker 2: They might look for those intermediary files we talked about, dot sql, dot CSV, dot tab files, suggesting data exported from databases for source code, they'll compare file contents, hash values, and remember those link files and registry keys like bags MRU. They can actually prove that specific proprietary information being opened on the thumb drive direct evidence of data theft.
Speaker 1: It's amazing how these little digital traces tell a story. What about broader employee misconduct things beyond ipceft.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that covers a lot. Violating company policy, maybe using work computers for a side business, harassment, breaking non compete agreements.
Speaker 1: How was that investigated?
Speaker 2: Same techniques often, Yes, those MRU registry keys, link files, they show which documents were accessed, what programs were run manually. It paints a picture of activity.
Speaker 1: The book had an interesting anecdote about code words.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that was a great one. An employee used codewords and emails and calendars at their old company when setting up meetings to steal clients or discuss leaving. Okay, But when they got to the new company, they stopped using the code words. So looking back, it became easy for us to see that an innocent sounding phrase like meet me about a personal issue at the old job really meant meet me so I can take your business.
Speaker 1: Wow, the change in pattern gave them away human behavior leaving digital clues again exactly.
Speaker 2: It's fascinating how behavior translates digitally.
Speaker 1: And tying this altogether. Employee and corporate fraud. What are common digital tactics there?
Speaker 2: A classic is running second sets of books, alternate ledgers, maybe hidden Excel files, separate QuickBooks files, sometimes even encrypted data on a thumb.
Speaker 1: Drive to track the illicit stuff.
Speaker 2: Precisely tracking embezzlement or other fraud outside the official company records. Money laundering is another big area.
Speaker 1: Trying to hide where the money came from.
Speaker 2: Right schemes often involve shell companies, which investigators might uncover through emails between accomplices or using fake identities, setting up accounts in foreign banks known for prioritizing privacy and.
Speaker 1: The impact of mass of corporate scandals like Enron or WorldCom.
Speaker 2: Huge societal impact. Those scandals, uncovered partly through digital forensics, directly led to new laws like Sarbanes Oxley trying to prevent that scale fraud from happening again.
Speaker 1: It really shows the power and necessity of this field. So wrapping this up, what's the big takeaway.
Speaker 2: For our listener, Well, I think it's understanding that navigating our digital world means understanding these traces we leave behind.
Speaker 1: We've definitely covered a lot today, from tiny digital dust motes on a hard drive all the way up to complex global cybercrime view through this lens of computer forensics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's this amazing intersection of technology, law, and well human behavior, often in really unexpected ways.
Speaker 1: And hopefully this deep dive has shown you, the listener, that being well informed here isn't just about the text PACs.
Speaker 2: No, it's really about grasping human intent, understanding the incredibly meticulous process investigators follow, and seeing how critical digital evidence is in our justice. It holds people and companies accountable.
Speaker 1: So here's a final thought to leave you with. As technology becomes even more embedded in everything we do, the phones in our pockets, the networks connecting us globally, what new kinds of digital fingerprints are we creating, maybe without even realizing it, And how.
Speaker 2: Might those new fingerprints change the future of investigations and maybe even our whole idea of privacy?
Speaker 1: Something to think about