Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we.
Speaker 3: Are get off our show. Idiots.
Speaker 4: The kids are playing to turn off. The countries are.
Speaker 3: Screwing it up.
Speaker 1: Gold Play inter Murals, Brother, gold Play inter Murals.
Speaker 4: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 3: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 2: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: Here's Nick?
Speaker 3: Coffee?
Speaker 4: All right, Happy Monday, and welcome in. Hopefully you had yourselves a good week and a good Mother's Day weekend, but it is time once again to get another week started. Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven to ninety Nit coffee. That's me, Austin Montgomery, the travel Chief as I like to call him. He is alongside today and regardless if you're ready or not, we're gonna, we're gonna, we're gonna get it going. But I know you're probably ready, Austin, for the show to be over, like as soon as possible, because you want to get down to the Umps Center, right.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be there tonight.
Speaker 4: I mean so Monday Night will call Monday Night Raw in Town tonight. And I mean again, I I'm not I'm not someone who keeps up with with wrestling really much at all currently, But I mean, I don't think you have to to know that Monday Night Raw is a big deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, on Netflix premiere program.
Speaker 4: So it's only live on Netflix. Yeah, correct, Yes, how's that transition been.
Speaker 5: I think it's been pretty well. Netflix doesn't like release like numbers, and it's I guess it's hard to like ratings wise.
Speaker 4: I mean, this was a big deal when it was announced because it's just I mean, this is this is a television show. I mean, quite literally, that's what it is. It's a television show that has I mean, I don't I'm sure there are some some some specific details that you would know better than I. But it's one of the longest standing television shows as far as like how long it's run. Yeah, I mean it's it's the longest Yes, yeah, television.
Speaker 6: There you go.
Speaker 4: You had you had the right verbiage there, because I knew there was something that they do mention that is I mean, that is impressive. Yeah, obviously it's it is sports entertainment. But it's also a television show, and most television shows you know, don't stick around as long as Monday Night Raw has. But yeah, whenever it went off of your standard USA was that, I mean, they had it forever, right, I was on USA and it went from USA to Netflix, which you know a lot of people have Netflix, I would assume, but you know, you usually aren't going there to fire up a show that you know, you've probably watched on TV for you know, some people over twenty years, maybe longer than that, depending on how old you are. But I guess maybe the transition from linear television to a digital streaming platform, I would imagine the fact that the w you ease entire catalog being on Peacock for years had to have like it was like most people probably were used to being able to go to an app and fire it up rather than finding another TV right yep. So I h I'm excited for you. Uh yeah, thank you, and I can't wait and I hope that. I mean, you're gonna being a suite right.
Speaker 5: Life, It's gonna be. I've never been to the suites at the Young Center of you are they no, never been, never been. I mean it looks tell me what it's like. Yeah, it looks like we have like the nice padded seats and all that, and let me live through you. I mean, yeah, just be that. Just tell me what it's like live in me.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, I don't know if i'd be able to get through. Uh, you know, I don't know how we'd make that happen. But you know, if it's Monday, it's Monday night raw, So you know, I'm sure. Uh, I'm sure there's others that are going to be you know, I could be wrong. And again I'm a little bit out of my element here, but like I didn't even realize we still like as a market, got events like this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they come about twice a year either once to Louisville, twice to Kentucky a year at least once a year to Louisville, once a year to Lexington, so they mix it up. Yeah, they like they're coming to Lexington's SmackDown. Friday Night. SmackDown is going to be in Lexington next month actually June thirteenth, And I was actually out at with w AMZ earlier. They had a activation for Wheatley Vodka and got to meet superstar Dominica Mysterio. And at Kroger Wine and Spirits, there's a lot of people there. The line was probably about like a mile long outside and there was still a bunch of people that got turned away at the door. It's pretty sad to see. But Dominique Mysterious, Dominick Dominick, Okay, he's Ray Mysterio son.
Speaker 4: Okay. I knew there was some kind of a something new. They were related in some way. And Ray Mysterio, he was like the coolest thing going whenever I was. Yeah, the time I was into wrestling, I think he was what it makes sense that he would have been WCW. Was at WCW at that time. Yeah, man, but he was a high flyer. He had the cool mask. I mean he was smaller guy, of course, but he was electric.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I am.
Speaker 4: And now I feel old knowing that is that really his son or.
Speaker 3: Just really.
Speaker 2: It's a work, not a work, brother, Look at.
Speaker 4: You throwing out kfe work.
Speaker 2: I'm over.
Speaker 5: I'm taking the I used to be over a lot of people recognize the baby faces out.
Speaker 4: There too, which is very good. Of course, they do.
Speaker 5: Really awesome, But I am taking the fiance is tagging along at Sydney and Kentucky is tagging along. She's not the she's just doing it for support.
Speaker 4: So you're taking your fiancee to wrestling with you are and I'm assuming she's not a big wrestling fan. No, she's just going for support, but she knows that it's a real big, you know, passion of yours. Oh yeah, obviously it's Oh yeah, it's part of what you do with your baby Faces podcast. And uh so that's good that she's supporting you. Now do you have like are you did you really kind of push her to say, hey, you should come and experience this with me? Or was it more so her idea? And there's reasons I have these questions, By the way, there airs a little bit of both.
Speaker 5: Because the last couple of times it's a television has come here, I kind of wanted her to go, and either something happened, she didn't make it, or she just said take one of your buddies. And then she was actually the one that brought it up last week. She said, if you get free tickets off, I'll go with you. So I'm like, uh, okay, if I could get two tickets, then you'll go. She said that she was down for that, and.
Speaker 4: There was no hesitation on your end, right like you you were eager to take her if if in fact, you could get her a ticket, right yeah, absolutely, Okay, good because that actually tells me a lot about where you guys are in your relationship, because this seemed to be something that you kind of you know, you don't exclusively enjoy. It's not like it's your own thing, but between the two of you and your relationship, like you all don't meet in the middle and talk wrestling and enjoy it together. You know, it's just your thing. And I just worry that maybe you wouldn't want to invite her because then maybe you would feel like, okay, you know, then I got to worry about if she gonna have fun. But I'm glad that you're excited. And it's nice of her to say, look, I'll be there, and she probably will. You know, she can ask too many questions that might distract her. You think, are you? Are you more so somebody that hopes she has questions so you can educate her and get.
Speaker 5: Her more into it, a little bit of both, because she is a content creator that she is. She wants to go to go get content she's going to do some fun little going to you know, a real go into wrestling with my boyfriend, and that's going to be shots of me at a fool and it's gonna be funny because everything's completely out of context to her. So we'll like ask questions and make some fun content with it. However, flip side, we went to WrestleMania a couple of years ago. We actually bought tickets and went out to LA and she only went to one night. She can only we can handle them, that's all that she can handle. But she said that she actually enjoys, like it's not it's not her biggest thing, but like she'll sit down and watch it with me if it's at home. She doesn't like the live shows as much because they're like, you don't have the commentators, right, you don't have the people kind of telling you what's going on in the match, And.
Speaker 4: You know that might be a huge difference.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, it's a little bit different when like when you respect the craft like I do, I love watching it live. But for someone that's not a fan, like you're you're just you're just kind of watching the wrestling rather than just kind of hearing the commentators like tell you why these guys are beefing with each other.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I'll tell you just in my brief time as a wrestling fan, which was mostly when I was a younger kid, I mean being there, the atmosphere, the overall, like what goes into the production that is a live televised WWE event, Like crazy the production team is is. I mean I wouldn't say that, I have no way to know how you compare them, but like consider the NFL. I'm not kidding, like when it comes to like the production value of what goes into it. I mean, it's it's that alone is like a thing to see. But I remember not even really thinking about, oh yeah, this is my first time watching it, and I don't have any announcers telling me anything, and I kind of feel like I know what's going on, but it's a totally totally different experience. So I understand it from from from that aspect. But yeah, I mean just the everything that goes into it. I mean, I know some people make their remarks about it's it's not real or it's not it's not real, uh, and it's you know, uh.
Speaker 2: Don't tell me it's scripted.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's choreographed. I guess that's the best way to do is that the is that still the right way to describe it without like offending those that, of course are in it, because nobody will tell you that it's not a pre planned arrangement as far as what happens. But I do think when you mentioned the word fake like that that's that any Yeah, you don't say that, because they're actually out there legitimately, like you know, I've work, you know, working their tail off, and despite nobody out there trying to hurt one another. I mean, first of all, that could still happen even if everybody's trying to be safe. But also like it's it's it's very much real in that aspect. The only thing that's not is essentially you know, the outcome are Yeah, yeah, it's not like they're just out there and we'll see what happens. Who can who can whoop the other's ass first? But but you know, it's it is an art. I mean, that's the best way I can describe it. It is an art. And I would imagine, like to me, Monday night raw is the kind of thing that you can take someone who really knows what it is, but that that's the base level, like they just they don't keep up with the superstars. They've maybe never gone to an event before. If their first event is something like Monday Night Raw at the Young Center, I feel like they'll walk away not necessarily saying Okay, I'm locked in. I'm now going to be a big wrestling fan. But I think they'll say this. I get why it's such a big deal. I get why it's so popular. I get why when they bring this television show to different markets across the country, there's you know, sellouts all over the place because the experiences is some people want to be a part of.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So Sydney is amazed when we go and she says, I can't believe there are this many fans wrestling it is.
Speaker 4: You know, when I was helping out with with OVW with with Craig and Matt for a while and kind of just really getting and I don't want to I don't want to overstretch my you know what I was doing, but like just to kind of know that that world is as big as it is really blew me away, because you know, it's a niche thing, clearly wrestling is, but the but there's a lot of people to where that's their niche, you know what I mean, And you know, I think you'd be like, honestly, I'd be I'd be willing to bet that there's a lot of people who saw the figures as far as what was what was put out there for Netflix to get exclusive rights to Monday Night Raw, and I bet that number, whatever it was, probably was an eye opener that made people realize, Okay, yeah, I never watched, I'm not going to be looking for it, but man, clearly a lot of people do. Or Netflix wouldn't have backed up the Brinch trucks and unloaded that amount of money to make sure they have exclusive rights to that television show.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 4: So and by the way, this is Netflix's first like live regular program. Yeah, correctly, they've done one offs. Like I know, we probably talked about it at the time, but I the NFL on Christmas was was. I think it went off without any issues. Obviously they did have issues with the Jake Paul and Mike Tyson fight. And then I think there was another Netflix live event that I don't even think I watched, but I knew they were having one. I don't remember what it was. Was it Love is Blind?
Speaker 5: One that had some pretty bad they had the Love is Blind reunion, and I remember that being a thing like that.
Speaker 4: Was that would make sense. That would make sense, you know why, because that would be something that clearly there's enough people that like watch that. But it's not anything to the level as far as as far as watching it live. It's not nearly to the level that you would expect for the NFL or for Monday Night raw. So I feel like a Love is Blind kind of live reunion thing, the Jake Paul Mike Tyson fight that they gave you for free if you had Netflix, right, you don't have to buy it. Those had to be trial runs for when they get to this. Yes, exactly, the NFL on Christmas Day and then of course now every week they have Monday Night rows.
Speaker 5: And they did a good job at when the NFL on Christmas they had those games on there, they did get a good job of sho showcasing the WWE Superstar. Yeah, so it's a big deal to Netflix too, which is really cool to see how far it's come.
Speaker 4: I tell you what, whenever I watched the NFL and I'm by the way going to tune in the night to Monday Night Raw, not to watch the entire thing, just well, I don't know. My son's got a baseball game, so I probably won't be able to see a ton of it. However, one my son is a super wrestling fan right now, which I didn't see that coming. But I've been sending Austin some clips of him. I mean, he he's not just like like a fan. My man's into it. Want you the way that he's screaming for John Cena. He's ready, there's no going on. I felt bad that I did send you. Probably think I'm a bad parent because I sent you a video that I didn't realize at the beginning of it. As the guy's walking he's playing his WWE wrestling game on on PlayStation and as he's walking out, the opponent whoever it was, he said he's gonna kill him. And I'm thinking, and I'm thinking, I didn't tell him to say that. But he's he's into it, you know, he's it's part of it to work, right, He's not really gonna hurt anybody, but that's just he's just playing his role. But exactly, But I will watch it on on Netflix, just because I like to see, you know, what it looks like with our you know, with the crowd at the Young Center. I mean that it'll be good energy, good vibes, no doubt.
Speaker 5: I'll show the skyline and the like across the river and stuff.
Speaker 4: And sometimes the talent, the wrestlers themselves, like they'll make remarks about the city, right, the baby faces will do something maybe to kind of, you know, kiss our ass a little bit. And then whoever's the bad heel, they might find a way to insult us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, UK Blue Colors or come out and.
Speaker 4: Say something Paula's Hillbillies, for sure, that'll be part of it.
Speaker 5: Right, there's gonna be buttooth or KFC related when the rock was.
Speaker 4: Was full heel it to be like Attitude era time, I guess when he was really just becoming such a star. He was really good at at talking crap about different cities that he was in and it's one of those things I remember watching when I was young. But anyways, back to the Netflix thing, and then we'll and then we'll kind of get the table set and get this thing rolling. But when it comes to the NFL games that you mentioned, how they were tying it like they knew they they here. Before too long, they'll start having Monday Night Raw every week. So why not use the platform they have where all the millions of people are watching the NFL on Christmas Day. Well, let's let them know, Hey, we've got some ww stars here because we're gonna start start to soon have Monday Night Raw. So I don't know. I mean, it's not like it's like something you can just snap your fingers and get done. I'm sure there's way more that goes into it than I would ever realize. And there may not be any interest on the side of Disney. But like, I don't feel like Disney prioritizes ESPN like in any way. I think it's a property that clearly has some value. I shouldn't act like they don't even realize they have it. But like their priority is Disney not ESPN. Right, they just own ESPN, And I think at times they've had too much of I guess they what they want their image and their like their brand to be Disney. It gets somehow like injected into ESPN and sports at times, and you know, I don't even I don't I don't know anything like I don't watch Disney movies. I've never been to Disney World, So like people like myself who don't really like you just wonder, okay, why like But but then you realize, Okay, ESPN is underneath the Disney umbrella. Therefore it's always gonna They're always gonna have the direction of of of Disney, and that's just that's just the way it is. But I'm thinking, like, why not sell ESPN to Netflix? Like? Sure, I mean, because I think Netflix would clearly have to boost their resources as far as you know, live sports every night, but like they're already putting stuff on ESPN three or whatever it is, and Netflix could easily do that. So again, I act like it's just some simple thing, but I feel like if there was a parent company over ESPN that wasn't Disney, I just think it could be so much better. But again, you know, I'm saying that as somebody who's never actually you know, been in that position, you know, and I'm an outsider, but I just feel like, at times, you know, ESPN is is not necessarily given the resources and the priority that you would think it would. But again, it's because Disney will always consider everything involved in the Disney aspect of it as a bigger priority.
Speaker 5: And you make a good point because the times where they do feature anything NBA or NFL on ESPN, they're just usually showing like where they're actually talking about it. It's like the Simpsons version of it, or they're making like whatever sort of Disney characters that they have. It's it's like that sort of simulation. And that's where you see you push it. They're not just pushing a regular Pacers versus a Celtics game unless they're planning on producing it that night and like Simpsons characters or a Lattin characters, or you know, some stuff like that.
Speaker 4: And I think, you know, I I hate this word because it's a trigger word, and I understand why it became a trigger word given the time that it became, you know, something you heard often. So I don't I don't like to use it because I think, you know, sometimes I don't even know for sure if if context, if my context is the same as others, but like I'll just use the word that a lot of people use when they complain about ESPN and the Disney influence, woke. Like there's a lot of woke stuff that you see on ESPN that like sure has to be led by Disney, and I'm not I'm not even taking a side on left right, Republican Democrat or whatever, but like, I think you have a better chance of like none of that being within any of ESPN's coverage if Disney's not involved. But that's just that's just my opinion. So yeah, money that Raw in town tonight. I could tell just about getting off the exit. I mean, it wasn't like there's already traffic. But you know this as somebody who comes down here every day when there's an event at the UMP Center, you know there's a little bit more life to these downtown street.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, I'm seeing it outside are feeling good, so we'll love to see it.
Speaker 4: We'll try to keep the momentum. I mean, consider this your pregame show for Monday Night Raw. I mean very unofficial. Clearly you know they wouldn't claim us, but hey, we've got one of the babyfaces here. He's part he's part of the show. He's going to be in the suite tonight, so.
Speaker 5: Hey there, just make sure to follow us at Babyfaces Pod on Instagram. I'll be posting reels showing stuff from the Sweet Life showing. Uh, if you guys are ever thinking about taking your significant other to wrestling show, and you'll be able to see how mine reacts and let that be a barometer.
Speaker 2: So if you guys want to do that in the future.
Speaker 4: Good stuff, good stuff. All right, So let's let's get a rundown real quickly here of what we're going to get into today. Derek Carr announcing his retirement. I mean, obviously that that's that's good for Tyler Shuck. However, kind of still shocking to me, it is, But I'm also I'm also now convinced that the Saints kind of had to know all along that this was likely what he was going to do, Like I didn't. I don't think that they're that surprised by it. I think when you look at the decisions made in the draft, if you even you know, maybe I'm reaching a little bit here, but if you just go listen to like Kellen Moore in the Times, he's talked about his job in the last i don't know, two and a half months. You know, he didn't say it out right, but you kind of get the sense that he never thought he was going to have Derek Carr at any point, because I think Derek Carr, you know, wasn't going to be able to play, and then the whole conversation about the surgery, he is leaving a lot of money on the table, which is a head scratcher. But I think when Tyler Shuck got drafted in the second round, I think even Tyler Shuck knew that Derek Carr was not going to be there. I mean, nobody's come out and said that, but it just you know, they took an offensive lineman in the first round, they took Tyler Shuck in the second round. They knew they would probably be They probably knew Shuck would be there waiting for them because I guess, you know, I mean, the only quarterbacks off the board at that point cam Ward and Jackson Dart. So I mean they're currently talking about basically a three man competition, which also makes me think that like this is they're acting like three guys are gonna get a chance to compete him. Look, they're gonna put the guy who has the best chance of winning. I think that's a no brainer. But I just I mean, I think they drafted Tyler Shuck because they like a lot about him, and he's not your typical rookie because he's twenty five years old, he's married, he's a grown up. He's already got the maturity and the seemingly the charisma to kind of lead a locker. Now he's gotta have to get results, and only time will tell if he's able to do that. But I'm fired up, Like I can't quit the Colts because I've already tried before and I just can't. I wanted to, couldn't do it. I just you know, when you emotionally invested into a team for so long decades, you know, nearly my whole life at least that I can remember, you can't just be like, yeah, I don't like them anymore. I don't really like them anymore. But I can't not love him, if that makes sense, right. Like I'm disappointed and I'm not a fan, but I'll always love him. That's the way I am with my Colts. But like I could see myself kind of kind of gravitating towards the Saints. Is my is one of my teams because of the Tyler Shuck situation. So and I never thought I would say that because the Saints stole a Super Bowl from my Colts and Peyton, and it's still bitter about that. Who the hell who on set kicks coming out of the halftime break Sean.
Speaker 2: Payton at Hank Basket.
Speaker 4: I mean, come on now. So also, NBA playoff updates. I mean, the playoffs have done a really good job for a variety of reasons, staying you know, relevant to where like people aren't forgetting they're going on no matter what happens. It seems like any day there's playoff action, which it's every day. The playoffs last way too long. That's one of the problems NBA has. But I mean, you've had some phenomenal upsets, some big time comebacks that you don't typically see, and then yesterday like it wasn't good for the product that is the NBA Playoffs. But the score at halftime between the Pacers and the Calves is quite literally like something you'll I mean, you've I mean, you've never seen it before. Eighty points. Pacers were on fire, and you know, I hate it for Donovan. It sounds like he's already done for the I mean, they got one game left, they got to win. Yeah it's three one right, Yeah, it's three one. So look, the Pacers need just one more win and maybe Cleveland gets it done when the game returns to Cleveland tomorrow. But like, if Donovan doesn't play, which it sounds like he's not going to, I mean, it's probably gonna be all she wrote. And I'm gonna be excited for for my Pacers, no doubt, But just really bad timing for Donovan because you know, they they've they had a lot of injuries throughout the early part of the playoffs and that impacted them. And then I mean they also have run into a Pacers team that's just playing really, really well. I mean they're really what you saw yesterday where they score eighty points and just seemingly can't miss a three point shot in the first half, and again eighty points in the first half. You didn't pay attention, you weren't watching, that's what happened. Maybe you were busy on Mother's Day. It was it was like something you've never seen before. But the way they got hot at the end of that half, like that's that's that's best case scenario for them, as far as how they're built, like they have peace is really their entire roster. I mean, it's it's built to where if you get you know, if you've got a good look in the in the space things there, let it rip. And they were letting rip yesterday and they didn't they didn't miss many early on. So, uh, we got some good games going on tonight. I think it's the Celtics and the Knicks tonight. We'll see, uh, we'll see what happens. But obviously the Celtics did come back and get one one game, right, it's it's one two now, is that right? Two? Yep, So tonight the Celtics will have a chance in the garden to uh to to tie it up at two a piece. But this is like, this is huge. I mean, if the Celtics win tonight, I can see them winning this thing in six. If they lose tonight, interesting, I can see New York having Like I just don't think Boston's built to where like they'll go out because there are some teams that can't. I guess this. And by the way, the Celtics did do it. They were down three to one maybe or three to zero a couple of years ago and ended up making to the Eastern Conference finals. I think it was so I guess they have done this before, but I just feel like this series, just to me, it's all about who's got the most confidence. And that's what happened with Boston in the first two games. They were rolling, had big leads, and then it became like a mental thing to where New York got hot. They played with a lot of confidence, a lot of swagger. They let you know about it when they make some buckets. I mean, that's just kind of how they bounce around, That's how they carry themselves. And the Celtics, I think it just became a mental thing. And I feel like if, in fact, the series gets this out of hand where they're down three to one, then I think you got New York playing really confident, and I think Boston's gonna be tight, and that's a bad recipe, but we shall see. Also, I mean, to me, I feel like this is one of those things I made sure to include it on the list of things I wanted to get to today, and I feel like it's a big deal to everybody, but I really kind of don't know, just because of like I guess, like age rank, like Michael Jordan announcing that he is coming back to basketball, not to play, but to be a part of NBC's coverage as they now will once again broadcast NBA games. Like, to me, that's a huge piece of news. Oh that I'm just sitting here thinking, like from like a nostalgic standpoint, like Michael Jordan has never been in the public eye really well, I mean, he's always gonna be in the public guy, he's one of the most famous athletes of all time, but like he's been in the background, that's the best way to describe it. He's been in the background in really every aspect of his life since he stopped playing. And now he's gonna be on television commentating and being a part of the NBC coverage of the NBA. And I don't really know what to expect, but like it's Michael Jordan, So I'm excited as hell. Like I don't really know what he's gonna bring to the table. Because you could make the case that Jordan insanely successful basketball player, the best ever do it in my opinion, and I know I'm not alone with that opinion. But like a lot of other things he's gotten involved in, not exactly been good, not a great owner, not a great GM. I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure his stint in NASCAR has been less than stellar. So, like, I mean, I'd never once had thought about like the lasting impression that like all of us have of Jordan is just his playing days, because again, like he's made the news, he's done interviews, like he's been inducted into the Hall of Fame. It's not as if like he's been off the grid and nobody knows what he's up to. Hell, he still owns an NBA team, but he's been very much in the background and now he won't be and that excites me. But like, could Jordan do anything good or bad to make us feel differently about him, given the fact that, like again, he was beneficial to play in an era where there wasn't social media. There really wasn't even the Internet, to be honest with you, But I don't know, Jordan came back and played for the Wizards, and nobody ever talks about that or even really remembers it unless he gets brought up, Like it's not something that's been removed from your brain. But when you think, MJ I mean, how long does it take you, if ever, to like remember and think about the stint he had with the Wizards, Like, Jordan is such a one of one basketball player really athlete that I'm not sure any like he could come out and be the worst of the best broadcaster ever and it'll it'll be a distant, distant thing, because again we're talking about Michael freakin Jordan here, sneakers and hoops. That's Jordan, right, I mean, that's that's what it comes down to. That's right, that's right. So all right, let's get to a quick break. We'll come back on the other side. Keep it rolling along again. This is your unofficial pre show for WWE Monday Night Raw right here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 4: So you may have already planned to do this anyway, Austin, but with the Monday Night Raw taking place tonight at the m Center, just just play us wrestling theme songs. I Got You, the rest of the way, I Got You, And you know, you can just pick your favorites or pick pick ones that you think might you know, fit the tone of whatever conversations we're having. That kind of stuff. So yeah, good stuff. That's Shane o'mack and in the the was there ten episodes of the Netflix series about Vince McMahon or something like that. It was one of the longest Was it ten episodes something like that? It was one of the longest documentary series I can think of ever watching. And it was I think if you're into wrestling, you probably watched a lot of it, and you know realize that you kind of already knew or at least had you know, sure, you were familiar with a lot of what was discussed throughout, you know, start to finish with Vince McMahon. But the one thing that maybe wrestling fans knew of and I just didn't because I wasn't keeping up with it for the like the past, you know, twenty years. But to see Shane McMahon, his son and kind of hear him and I don't know, maybe part of it was a work, but like you could tell like he will till his last like he has this desperation of wanting to make his dad proud that like has never been totally full filled, right, And it's kind of sad, you know what I mean, Like, yeah, you know, of course, but but he's you know, he's uh is he still involved at all, not in w w E. Now were they trying to get him?
Speaker 2: I think they were trying to.
Speaker 5: We met with Tony Kahan, the president, but I don't think they got anywhere with it.
Speaker 4: He to me, he was always, you know, in the time I watched when he was part of the of the show itself, like he was it worked, you know, like I think he was. He was somebody that I wouldn't have expected to be able to kind of you know. Also though, like Vince himself is like the best villain of all time in the w w E w w F, so.
Speaker 5: Just being his on I mean real life and shoot and on screen like son like they did a good job of making him like this, uh silver suit spoon fed like he was always he always got his ass kick. The Greenwich Posse, Oh the what was it called? The Yeah, the mean street posse, And I said Greenwich.
Speaker 4: I mean that's of Greenwich, Connecticut, right, good stuff, very rich community from one I understand, no doubt. All right, it is Coffee and Company and we are fieldbouth Thornton's. Make sure you guys sign up if you haven't yet, to become a member of the Refreshing Awards Program at Thornton. You'll save money at the pump and there's a lot of other perks you can take advantage of. So sign up today. It's completely free. Just download the app on your iPhone you're Android and you will be good to go. So it was Saturday morning when Derek Carr announced that he was going to be retiring from the NFL, and I mean it it is, but isn't surprising I think? I mean, I don't know if Derek Carr can look at himself in the mirror and say that his best football days are ahead of him, even if he does get healthy, just because he's played in the NFL a lot longer than I even realized. But he's been dealing with that shoulder injury and it's going to require surgery that would knock him out for I believe, the entire season. And that's what got out last week. I don't know if it was an interview he did or what it was, but it became news that he confirmed I guess the rumors or maybe even the reports that he may have to have surgery and if he does, he will be out for the whole year. Well, he just decided to I guess let the Saints know. Hey, let's get it, let's make this official. I'm going to go ahead and call it a career. So he tried, I guess, like injections to deal with the pain and do some rehab, but it wouldn't allow him to be one hundred percent until after surgery, which again we're talking about a whole season. So he's retiring leaving a lot of money on the table. He's a four time Pro bowler. Had no clue that he was third in MVP voting in twenty sixteen. Is that a stat fact that you were aware of, Austin And did it surprise you as much as it did me? No, I don't really remember him being viewed as a guy that people thought was very good.
Speaker 2: I know he made that one.
Speaker 5: They had that one good playoff run and had to be that year right playoff run, but they also that's when they got it. They also got eliminate the last time they went to the playoffs. I think that's when they got eliminated by the Bengals, and the Bengals went all the way to the super Bowl. That was a Derek Carr team. Yes, so I know we had a good year that season, but I didn't think you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he played, I mean he played in the league for what let's see, I mean, was it twelve thirteen years?
Speaker 2: He got drafted the same draft Teddy Bridgewater.
Speaker 4: Did, Okay, twenty thirteen. Yeah, I mean he's I mean, he's a veteran and you know, his best year again, as I mentioned, it was in twenty sixteen. And you know, he seems like somebody that is clearly you know, I don't know what his hobbies are, but he's really outspoken about his faith, which maybe outspoken isn't the right way to describe it, but you know, I think he's someone that does appear to and I think it's pretty clear given the fact that he's walking away now at you know, such a young age thirty four. That's not super young, but that's young to just say, yeah, you know what, instead of just having surgery and rehabing, I'm gonna go ahead and call it a career. What I'm getting at is I think he probably has thought about life after football for probably a few years now, and he's ready to go ahead and get that life started. And I, as someone can tell you that you know, you should always as an NFL fan, Maybe remind yourself of that, because maybe one day, randomly, like right before the season starts, you find out that you're a young quarterback who is the franchise just decides, yeah, I'm kind of done with football, been banged up a lot. Andrew Luck just yea, I'm gonna go I'm gonna go ski and just you know, get off the grid for a little while and really ruin everything. I've totally shifted. I used to be so just you know, sad about it, to where like I couldn't be mad because I'm thinking, Okay, well, you know, he is thinking about life after football, and that makes total sense, and by the way, that's totally what people should do. But it's just not something you typically see, right, a guy that just yeah, you know what, I'm gonna call it a career. And since he did that, things have not been the same for my cults. But yeah, to me, they can tell us all they want about Spencer Rattler, whoever the other guy is who I keep seeing pictures of him. It looks like a looks like a guy who what's the guy's name? The other quarterback. I have to find this because I want you all to. I want you all to look this, to look this guy up, because to me, he he absolutely looking Spencer Ratler. No, the other guy rat there's rat like Shane something or maybe his last names. It's gonna drive me crazy, and I've got to look it up because I do want people to to I'm not even sure where this guy is, like from like where he played college. But they are three quarterbacks now in New Orleans. It is Shuck Rattler and some other dude who I I don't know. And I'm not talking about the guy who they just you know, always said could play quarterback in New Orleans. Who was you know, Taysom I'm not talking about Taysom Hill. But anyways, are they talking about the guy he had? He was like a meme last year yause he had like the pretty boy photos. Jay Jake Hayneer is his name. He he looks like somebody he's an act. He looks like an actor cast to play a football player in a bad movie, doesn't he?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: Because he photos are yeah, like if you're gonna do like a teeny bopper sitcom and they're showing like a quarterback for a pro team. He's it is? He not I mean, and I don't know anything about this guy. Where do you go to college? I mean, oh, he's a Fresno State guy, just like just like car.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I mean the Saints know what they have in Rattler. And I mean again, if he comes out and really impresses at training camp that kind of stuff, then maybe he will get the nod over Tyler Shuck. But I just you know, Kellen Moore is the is the new head coach. You know, he inherited the others, he drafted, he wanted Tyler Shuck. So I just feel like that's gonna give Shuck the obvious, the obvious boost as far as just getting the opportunity, and I think he's I mean, part of me says, maybe I'm just getting a little too excited for Tyler Shuck because you know, the thought of him leading an NFL offense in his rookie season just kind of seems a little far fetched. But again, a lot of a lot in pro sports other than you know, just having God give in talent and ability that the vast majority of society doesn't have. You know, outside of that, it's about timing an opportunity, just like you know, it is for a lot of folks in life, right timing, opportunity can can really be a factor in great things or really bad things happening. And with Shuck, I mean, I think he's got the ability to help them. I don't know how good they can be, but I don't think he's the type of quarterback that, as a rookie, will be thrown out there and they'll struggle, and it'll be because they've got a rookie quarterback, if that makes any sense. Like in fact, I think there's a chance that you know, maybe he could, you know, be somebody that helps them succeed this year. Now, I think they're expected to be one of the worst teams in the NFL as far as wins and losses. Maybe I can maybe I'll go look that up. Maybe they're not expected to be worse. But when it comes to like the win totals for NFL teams, theirs were pretty low. But just some other signs that to me made it kind of clear that they probably were expecting. And look, they think about this, they probably knew the situation with with with with Car's arm, with his shoulder, right, they knew he's gonna probably need surgery at some point or he can do rehab and take injections to deal with it. And I just think the longer it played out in him not getting said surgery, they probably saw the writing on the wall. So I mean, it also doesn't hurt that Drew Brees, Archie Manning, those guys have endorsed Tyler Shuck's potential. Like, since getting drafted, what are you gonna do. Obviously, you're gonna talk up the guy you picked. You're gonna want to express excitement and you want you want it to work out, right, You mean, that's a big investment. A second round pick on a quarterback is a big investment in the National Football League. So again, it's all just talk, it's all hype. But I think the Saints, the more I look back on this whole timeline here, I think they they drafted Tyler Shuck a few weeks ago, probably knowing he was gonna be their starting quarterback this year. And that doesn't mean it's gonna work out, but I'm certainly hoping that that it does. All Right, So the Saints put out this video real quick, I'll play for you guys. They put this out there earlier today, right around noon. Uh, and they it's basically giving him a little microphone to tell five things that Saints fans should know about Tyler Shuck that maybe maybe they don't know.
Speaker 6: Tyler Shuck quarterback. Five things to know. First one, I can back a boat down at Lachramp with my eyes closed. That was my job as a kid.
Speaker 4: Impressive.
Speaker 6: Second one, not that unknown, but the first Neil here was Chargoro Oysters choir. Number three. I can throw the football left handed pretty good, So I might try that in a game, just kidding, Gonna try and practice probably first. Number four. Favorite movie which correlized with my dog is Interstellar, named for Resuman character Murphy, so Murky dog number five close with her as well. She's actually not that good of a dog. Sometimes she will get into anything, will buy it, any stick, We'll try and eat it. So she is. She's a good girl. She won't she won't get tot lys, but she will literally sleep on me for the whole night. She's a peopled person, but she uh, she's a little she's a little devil.
Speaker 4: So I forgot about his dog kind of stealing the show when he was drafted, which I think probably softened the blow a little. Bit because I mean, he was getting crushed by Saints fans right after the pick, and look, I mean I can't say that I'm like totally surprised by that, but I hope it all works out and it's nobody's fault. It's just a real reminder of sort of how much things have changed in college sports. But like only having this guy one year, I mean, you know, it's got me thinking what could have been had he been here for you know, like what if he was the guy who showed up when Jeff arrived, you know what I mean, like, and you didn't have Plumber for the one year and Jeff's only been here two years now, right, some reason I was thinking of was three. But anyways, quick, yeah we are, and your three should be should be exciting for sure. Let's take a quick break. We'll come back on the other side. Wrap up a three o'clock hour, keep it rolling along. I don't know if you guys have been keeping up with the g Lee combine, which of course is like right below the NBA Draft combine. Chucky eh Burton sounds like he played well but didn't get the call up to the actual NBA Draft combine.
Speaker 2: But I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think Chucky all he needs is a team to you know, need a guy like him, right, a guard that can it cannot hurt, you can be a defensive presence. And I'm hoping it works out for him in the NBA. But we shall see a lot more to comes. Keep it locked right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 4: Oh now, this one's a classic, this one as well as check bah HBK the Heartbreak Kid Shawn Michaels. This song and the other one I'm about to mention here is not in any way as memorable as as Shawn Michael's theme song. But Billy Gunn I'm an ass man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just like fantastic.
Speaker 4: I sometimes think, like imagine being in the lab as they say, when when the creative minds are putting that together. I mean, because again that that fits perfect for Shawn Michael's that theme song. Oh yeah, and it's great. I love it, one of my favorites. But just like how it all came together, That's one of those things that I would be curious about because it just you know, when you're when you're writing in a writing session. If they do that for these kind of things and it's all coming together, like the first one to kind of belt it out like this is what I'm thinking. I'm just sexy. Like I mean, it wouldn't be I mean, I would be fear. I would have fear of people being like, I get this guy out here. That's the worst thing ever. But it worked.
Speaker 5: It was Jimmy Jimmy Hart, the Mouth of the South. He's the one that came up with that. Actually, he's the one. Him and a much your boy toy Sherry Martell. They're the ones that do the sex.
Speaker 2: And make that. That was a Jimmy Hart and jim Johnston. He was the one that made me.
Speaker 4: That's the name.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all of them. He led a composer and he's not with them anymore. They have it's something else. It sucks because they got to bring him back. He's still around. Yeah, he's still cut.
Speaker 4: The check he was. I mean, maybe it's just a nostalgic aspect for us, but man, that was some good stuff back in that time.
Speaker 5: You have a favorite finishing move because there is something about Sean Michael's sweetch and music that I do a special place in mind.
Speaker 4: I do, but you may not even know, like who the wrestler is. Okay, try me, because it was whenever I was so my era. And if you're wonder why we'realking about wrestling Mondy Night Rosen toown tonight at the UMP Center, So if you're just randomly joining us, that's why this has come up. And uh, my time when I really was into it was honestly, you know, the peak of the attitude are like when like put it this way, when Goldberg started his streak of being undefeated. He's around the time that I realized that there was both w CW and WW and I watched both of them, and I felt like it was for many years. It really wasn't It wasn't that long whenever I whenever I was really into it. But there was a guy who was on WCW that I don't even think was considered like a big big name within the promotion at the time. Like I don't think he was over like one of the big stars because really it was just about Hulk and nWo and that kind of stuff, right, But Billy Kidman, do you remember him?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Of course I do.
Speaker 4: Do you remember like that little frontwards backwards flip he would do, like the shooting star press. Is that what it's called? Yeah, you know I'm talking about right. Of course that was my favorite move because on the trampoline with the other neighborhood kids like I could do it pretty effectively. So I was like, all right, this is gonna be my finisher. And thankfully I didn't break my neck or kill myself or kill somebody else. I mean I didn't actually do it in athletic move to pull off. I didn't actually do it on somebody, but you know I could. I could do it as if you know, some we just pretended that there was somebody laying there when I whenever, I would you know, splash down on that trampoline. So yeah, the only and that is a cool looking move too, by the way, like of course, you know it's not just because I was able to pull off that that kind of a flip, but also like he looked cool as hell. He was never I mean he's not still is he? No?
Speaker 2: I don't think he is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, been a minute since I thought about him. But what about you? You mentioned the Heartbreak kid? Is your is you know one of your favorite finishers with the sweet Chin music. I mean, is there. I mean the Stunner's got to be up there lives. I mean, it's in a world of its own.
Speaker 5: I feel like, right, it can be hit on anybody. It could be out of nowhere, just a couple. I've always liked the Diamond Dallas page, the hellyutter You kidding me?
Speaker 4: Did he did he yell bang when he would do it? Oh yeah, okay, I thought.
Speaker 2: He may have, but I know that that was that was his thing bang.
Speaker 4: I met him once, really really nice guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's uh, he's changed lives of a lot of wrestlers, that's oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he seems very genuine.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And even when you were watching him when he was like that was his prime, he was like forty five, notion fifty.
Speaker 4: Who was it that like kind of just looked out for him like at the time to get him his run.
Speaker 2: And there's because I don't think it was probably Scott Hall.
Speaker 4: Okay, that makes sense because I remember seeing I remember seeing something on like maybe the Dark Side of the Room. No it was no, here's what it was. It was a really good I don't remember which platform it was on. But who killed WCW. That was the three part It might have been vice. There was a three part documentary about it. It had a lot to do with Eric Bischoff, which was he was great in the in front of the show, in the in the documentary as well. But yeah, DDP was old and everybody liked him seemingly like he didn't have any heat. However, you know, I think it was pretty obvious that he just timing and networking, like he got a push at the time when I guess a lot of people were wanting to push and yeah, and he got. He was even really over the top about how he didn't he join with the nWo s.
Speaker 2: I don't think he ever joined in WO. I think he did. He he may.
Speaker 5: Have, but it was like during the time where they were like, oh they were swerves and oh.
Speaker 4: And they were they were falling apart.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they were just doing stuff every week for shock value. But for the longest time after Sting, it was its Sting versus nWo. It was DDP was mixed in there as the heroes to the villain. But Brackleasner's F five is pretty cool to see.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't even know that if you can't if you if you came in here and you delivered an F five to me, I would just I would just impress it. I would just assume that it's it's a special move. But I wouldn't like I missed that era like right after that, like uh, John Cena, who of course is still to this day one of the most known wrestlers ever. Right, I never watched him on TV never, like so Joe right before then is whenever I kind of and here's what happened. I started playing. I made the middle school basketball team, and it just took up so much of my time that I would miss Monday Night Raw. And then I just I kind of it kind of faded away a little bit. Yeah, it's uh, but it was fun. It was a lot of fun, that's for sure. I mean, I you might not even know about this. Whenever I was probably just getting into it, like when we would go to not Blockbuster, but like Video Vault.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: And then also there was a movie there was you could rip. You could rip vhs at a Kroger near me too. I don't know what the video store was called. It might have been Kroger's own version of where you could rent movies, but I would rent old paper reviews and take them home and watch and like that was when I mean I was I was ate up with it and then yeah, and then you know, kind of phased out of it.
Speaker 2: But it happens.
Speaker 4: There'll be a lot of people there tonight, Monday night raw at the um Center, which it's cool to have events like that, and uh, you know, I'm looking here it tickets just to kind of see what the what the market looks like.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm assuming they're expensive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well what's available. I mean it's it's the high dollar stuff that's super close. But uh yeah, it should be. It should be a good time. We got to get to a break. We got one hour in the books, two more to go and a lot more to get into. So make sure you stick around. It's coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety