Speaker 1: All right, let's get the eight o'clock hour started, shall we.
Speaker 2: It is eight oh five here at Kentucky in this morning news on news Radio eight forty whas Nick coffee with you. Another reminder that they are seeking input when it comes to I guess a new area code in the future. We've talked about it throughout the week. The area code five oh two is it's not coming to an end because if you have a phone that where your numbers five oh two, you're good. But in the future that is going to run out. The different variations in which you can have a phone number with the area code five oh two, we're going.
Speaker 1: To run out of them.
Speaker 2: So they're seeking input Tonight at the JCC Southwest location at six o'clock they're going to have a meeting with the public as the Kentucky Public Service Commission is seeking input on this. So I just want to remind you guys of that. But I would not have gotten an one hundred percent score on this test. But I'm gonna test. I'm gonna ask you guys how you would do on this test. There are in the state of Kentucky, there are five different area codes. Can you name all five? Either of you, because I'll tell you I got four. I would have never guessed. I would have never known of the fifth.
Speaker 1: We alternate, Scott, you and I. Yeah, go ahead by to work as a team here. You want to do it all right?
Speaker 3: Well, obviously there's the five oh two.
Speaker 1: What say you, John? We'll go two seven oh? Okay, about six oh six? Yesh man, what's the Owensboro ones?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 1: The one is that two seven zero eight five nine eight five nine.
Speaker 2: That's one? Okay, So you guys are now four of four and then the fifth one. So I think we would have done the same. I don't I did not even know there was a fifth area code.
Speaker 4: Is it the southeastern portion of the state that this one covers, because I don't think I think that's the one we're missing.
Speaker 1: Yes, go for it.
Speaker 2: Three six four if you I had no idea, Yeah, I mean I can't think of I mean yes. It says that the three six four area code is an overlay for the two seven oh area code in Kentucky, primary primarily serving Okay. It's western and south sent part of Kentucky, So the majority of the cities that do have the three six four area code are around Bowling Green, but it looks like Hopkinsville, Owensboro and Paducah, Kentucky, which that makes sense. You know. Paducah, Kentucky is a place that I've been to it a couple of times, and just because it's so far away from here, you know, you don't often think about it being one of the bigger cities in our state, but it certainly is. I just don't think i've ever I've ever looked at a number that I looked for a number that I needed and noticed a three six four area code. And I don't think I know of anybody that's ever given me a number with a three six four area code. But then again, with cell phones being the way that we mostly communicate now, and once you save a contact and then you really don't I mean, I maybe somebody did give me it. So if you gave me a three six four area code and we talked regularly and I didn't remember, don't take it personal. Nobody remembers anybody's phone number anymore. That's just not a thing. It's something we've talked about, talked about throughout the week.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I had no idea. So now, at least if we get this, what cracks me up. Is we're gonna have hearings on this? I mean, is there someone who's vehemently opposed to having another Harry code?
Speaker 1: I mean, if we run out of numbers, you're run out of numbers, right right?
Speaker 3: Are there people that show up and go, no, I don't want that area code? I mean, what do we discuss at these meetings?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I guess just input on maybe what maybe what the number would mean.
Speaker 1: Do you do you get the pick? I mean I don't really.
Speaker 2: This is something that has existed these like these area codes we've discussed, the ones that we just ran through, they've been in existence seemingly forever. Therefore, it's not a process that we typically typically run into. Also, another story that we followed this week is after back to back weekends with a certain area on Barstown Road near their Highlands having I think upwards of four hundred people just out in. You know, obviously we know what's been going on, blocking traffic, dancing on cars. So obviously Mayor Greenberg as well as Chief Humphrey, they've talked throughout the week letting you know that they're gonna do it. Basically, there's nothing off the table as far as what they need to do in regards to get this thing under control. So we now have a second business that has decided to close their doors a little bit earlier from four am to two am. So it was Highlands Taperm initially now the Taco Bell. Oh wow, I bet that's is so busy. Yeah, at that time of night. I mean right.
Speaker 3: Right, I get that is a gutsy call because you're right down in the middle of I mean, that's prime time.
Speaker 2: And when it comes to that time of I was going to say evening, it's really morning, but that late even the bars that are open aren't serving food anymore. No, So Taco Bell, I mean they've probably got It's probably a lot for those that are working that shift at that time, just a lot to deal with, probably overwhelmed and take away the potential behavior issues with customers, but just the amount of people that are, you know, wanting to eat at that time. And I doubt you're fully staffed at that a day. But if you wrong, I forgot those they probably they probably dominate the competition in that window atom because where else you're going to get a bite to eat that lake at Taco Bell their fault. They're trying to help as well. So maybe we'll see more businesses in that area. Decided to close down a little bit earlier. Who knows just what impact that will have, but it certainly can't hurt things.
Speaker 3: I'm surprised there's not more food trucks down there. Yeah, you will have a food truck around four in the morning. You may kill a business.
Speaker 1: Oh you would. I bet those.
Speaker 2: I bet those who used to Maybe it's still a thing. They used to hustle hot dogs on the corner road the street when people would leave bars.
Speaker 1: I bet they make a killing.
Speaker 3: Those tasted so good.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah they did.
Speaker 2: The alcohol is probably a factor and why it tasted so good, But they tasted good. You are right, all right, We've got an updated trafficking weather coming your way right here on news radio eight forty whas. It's eight sixteen here Kentucky had his morning news on news radio eight forty whas Nick coffee with you. We will talk to ry O'Neill coming up here in about fifteen minutes and get his thoughts on the big beautiful bill that President Trump has has certainly received some pushback on from some folks. So we'll talk to Rory coming up here shortly. Also, we'll have another update of sports with Scott Fitzgerald. And as you likely know when we've discussed it this morning, the NBA Finals will start tonight, and I already have some fatigue when it comes to just one of the storylines. And I don't know if it would be fair to say that this is a non existent storyline that people are forcing into being a storyline slash talking point, because it is somewhat unusual for the smaller market teams really in any professional sport to end up playing each other for the championship, the title, the super Bowl, whatever it is, the World Series.
Speaker 1: But it does.
Speaker 2: Happen, and there are some rare examples of small market pro teams that are super successful, like the Green Bay Packers. I mean, so what annoys me is that it feeds into something that I've noticed on the sports side for a while now, that it's more about a popularity contest than it is about actual results and the actual competition. Because when I keep hearing, well, the NBA, what are they gonna do if it ends up being the thunder and the Pacers, which we know that it is now, and I get it when it comes to it's not as ideal because it's.
Speaker 1: But there's no fix for it.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's never gonna be a scenario where the Oklahoma City Thunder have as big of a fan base as big of a reach as the New York Knicks. That's just and that shouldn't ever be an expectation. So the noise.
Speaker 1: About how they fix it, how do they avoid this?
Speaker 2: I mean they can't and they shouldn't try to avoid it, because you know, if your team wins and your team is successful, you end up there. So this actually has and I don't just say this as a Pacers fand this actually has a chance to be a very very entertaining series, which I would think it would lead to a lot of people viewing the game. So yeah, the number may be down just because of people not being as interested if it's not a huge market team that has one of the big spaces in the league, like a Lebron James or a Steph Curry. But you can't really control that, and there's really no fix for that unless you want to live in a world where we make it way more based off popularity rather than you know, competition and entertainment. And if you watch this series and you're not a fan of the Indiana Pacers or the Oklahoma City Thunder, and it's really competitive, really entertaining, and yet you have a moment while watching the product and think, yeah, but maybe better if it was the Lakers or the Knicks. I mean, what, like, how does that? Why does that matter? I mean, why does who it is matter? If you're actually getting the entertainment value from the series. It reminds It reminds me a little bit of whenever you go to a game. And this is a fight I used to have with Louivill fans, because.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 2: You want a lot of You want a lot of people to show up. Attendance is important for variety of reasons. But you really can't control that. And why would you let that ruin your experience? If you paid your harder money to show up to a game and you're there, you're excited, and you look around and notice some empty seats, and it has changed the way you can enjoy that experience.
Speaker 1: That's a you problem. It reminds many people do that.
Speaker 3: It reminds me a lot of the NCAA tournament where everybody loves the underdogs to win, but when it comes down to the final four, they want the blue bloods. It also reminds me a lot of NASCAR people go, oh, Nascar is dying. That race was no good. Well, not every race is going to be a photo finish at the end, and.
Speaker 1: That goes with any sport.
Speaker 3: Not everybody's gonna be up there with three and two two outs, bottom of the ninth, and that's what happens. So to your point, I feel the same way you do, and I felt this way for a long time, and I'm glad you've finally said something about it. So I say to those people, why do we even have the Pacers in the Thunder in the NBA? Yes, why don't we just keep it like the Yankees and Dodgers in Major League Baseball and let them play year round.
Speaker 2: Look, both things can be true. Yeah, it's the best case scenario for a pro league if the best two teams that play for it all are your bigger brands with a humongous reach. But there's no fix to make that happen all the time unless you want to rig or get rid of the small teams.
Speaker 1: Again, both things can be true.
Speaker 2: It could still be very entertaining and you can enjoy it and just know that the reach may not be the The ceiling for the reach is just not quite there, because again, you're not talking about La.
Speaker 1: Or New York.
Speaker 2: You're talking about smaller markets. So it just annoyed me a little bit. But I'm gonna watch. I'm gonna hopefully enjoy it and hopefully not fall asleep. It's gonna be tough, all right. We have another update of sports coming your way with Scott on the other side. It's eight twenty here at news Radio eight forty w h AS. It's a forty five here Kentucky. This Morning News on news Radio eight forty w h AS now joined in studio by Tony Venetti.
Speaker 1: Just I thought I thought of you earlier.
Speaker 2: We were talking about this new Nintendo switch to game that people are.
Speaker 4: Waiting, nerds waiting in line.
Speaker 1: Well, you're a huge You.
Speaker 2: Are someone that of all of my friend's colleagues, people that I know, I cannot see you ever being a video game guy at any point in your life.
Speaker 4: I gave it up when I became a dad. I was like, I'm not playing video games. I'm a dad.
Speaker 1: I just took the play What do you mean like growing up?
Speaker 4: Oh like ATARII was when I was very young, Thank you for And then Nintendo was really when I stopped well because I don't know.
Speaker 3: So he was never in it to begin with.
Speaker 4: Here's here's my problem. I had friends and girlfriends, so I was doing stuff, tough life, friends and girlfriends. All right, God be with you. You guys sit here all night playing the video games. I'm gonna go out.
Speaker 1: So I had a PlayStation.
Speaker 2: I got it as a gift when I was when I was probably entering middle school. I ended up getting a PlayStation two not long after that, and that was really it. I never had another gaming system, and video games were always popular when I was in high school, but it just never really hooked me. And again, people enjoy what they enjoy. But the conversation I went that we had earlier is the waiting in line. Has there ever been anything that you said, okay, if I got to stand there for eight hours without moving, or I got a camp out overnight to get something like take video games out of the equation. There's really not anything I would think that would be worthwhile to me where I would just stand in line that long.
Speaker 4: If they brought John Belushi back from life and said you got to wait in line for tickets to see one show of John Belushi. I wouldn't do it. I'm also the guy. Everyone has a time period when they walk into a restaurant. Now if they're if they say for me, it's twenty minutes. If it's fifteen minutes, I go, all right, well wait, but if it's twenty I turn around. How many time you sent your wife in before you get out of the car, go see what the wait is? And they say it's twenty five minutes. She doesn't even ask. She just gets back in the car and go what's next.
Speaker 2: What I love doing is calling her out whenever she tells me, yeah, they said about fifteen twenty minutes. That I'm like, They did not say fifteen twenty minutes. You just wanted to stay. You wanted to get me in the door. You want to You wanted me to have the kids out of the car seats, bring them in to where we're already there. We've invested enough, so we're just gonna stick around because you really want to eat here. Because you know that if you'd have told me it was thirty five to forty minutes.
Speaker 1: I always said, well we can go next door and eat something.
Speaker 4: Because now it depends on date night or just a Tuesday night. Like we used to go to Old Charlie's on Wednesday night because it was free pie Wednesday. You would get a slice of free pie and it was packed. But they have a bar, so if it was if it was if you were on a hey, we were not in a rush thing. You go to the bar and have a beer. You'll wait the thirty minutes and they'll call your name. But if you're in a rush, you're hungry. You know, the family's hungry. I got to eat now the kids are in the back. On what are we gonna eat? You want to get in and out.
Speaker 2: Killing time or trying to keep kids, you know, and from losing their mind when you're in the when you're in the waiting area at a restaurant is difficult, and I try to avoid that at all costs.
Speaker 1: You mentioned the bar.
Speaker 2: I don't know why it's the case, but when my wife and I when we go to dinner on a date night, even if we're at a table or we're gonna we're gonna have a couple of drinks, just like we would if we were at the bar. So I want to insinuate that the but when we said at the bar together and have dinner, for some reason, it's a better experience.
Speaker 4: It's a ten times better experience, is that?
Speaker 1: And I think we're doing the exact same thing.
Speaker 4: And I don't know why people don't like it, because it's like they'll go, it's a thirty minute wait, and then you look at the bar and there's four seats open, and you go, can we sit at the bar, And they're like, yeah, we know, faster service. You get your food faster, you get your drinks faster, because remember the bartender has to make the drink and then give it to the waitress and the waitress takes it to you. But if you sit at the bar, fresh beer, food comes faster. You know, what are we getting onto here?
Speaker 2: I mean, i'd tell you what the Maybe it's because it just seems like there's more like I don't want to sound like a bad husband, but I'll probably be more often more likely to be on my phone if we're across from each other.
Speaker 1: That's true, We're just we just kind of know you're.
Speaker 4: More engaged at the bar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but never, but.
Speaker 2: We're next to each other, so we're not really looking out of eye. But yeah, we went out on our anniversary dinner a couple of weekends ago, and we had a lot of options, there were open tables, but we decided to sit at the bar, and I'm like, we.
Speaker 1: Should just do this more often.
Speaker 4: It is absolutely correct, and I'm realizing that now you're more or engaged, Jacky.
Speaker 1: Your next days you're going to be at the bar.
Speaker 4: That's right, you're more engaged with your wife if you are sitting at the bar. And you're right. When we sit in the booth, I don't know how many times I've looked up and we're both on our phone exactly and so stupid.
Speaker 2: So look at us giving advice dating rights problem. You mentioned the weight at restaurants. My favorite people when it comes to the weight at the restaurants are those who walk in just looking already inconvenienced, as if, yeah, the hell's going on? Did people not know I was coming here? And then they'll tell the sixteen year old hostess a party of four and they'll say it'll be a forty five to fifty minutes, as as the room is crowded, people are outside waiting and.
Speaker 1: They're like, forty five to fifty minutes. No, nope, you wait to put your name down, sirps, no thanks, excuse me, the chicken parms.
Speaker 2: That sixteen year old hostess is impacted by you going elsewhere.
Speaker 1: Okay, they're already busy enough. That's why there's a weight.
Speaker 4: And how many times is the sixteen year old host is going to lie to you to get rid of you so they don't. She wants to clear this hallway, so when you ask, it's probably twenty minutes, but she's saying fifty minutes because I want you to walk out.
Speaker 2: I would love for somebody to be like overly sarcastic but yet polite to where you just have to there's no way you can like, oh, I'm really sorry to hear that you're gonna go elsewhere. Oh no, I hope we recover as an industry because Bob and his two kids are disgusted by so they're gonna go next door.
Speaker 4: But yeah, we eat out a lot, and everybody that's listening to no, no, we never ate out, but nowadays it's it's constant credit cards.
Speaker 2: When you when I heard you mentioned the other day how often you door dashed from a dear house that's so not the Tony.
Speaker 4: Venetti become a millennial when when my family's out and there's Jamie, I'm like, you know what, Jimmy John's will be here in ten minutes.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 4: I get the Big John number two with extra lettuce and extra mail.
Speaker 1: Now I'm hungry.
Speaker 2: Have a good show, a friend, you too, brother, Take care, We'll be back at it tomorrow. Tony and Dwight coming up next right here on news Radio eight forty whas