Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna spend a minute talking about how the Republicans have taken the House. What does that mean? Are things going to change traumatically?
Speaker 3: Both?
Speaker 2: Yes or no? How's that for analysis? Yes and no? Maybe maybe not absolutely sort of kind of you want analysis? You stay put and.
Speaker 1: Now handle on the news, Ladies and gentlemen, here's Bill Handle.
Speaker 2: Good morning, everybody. Oh yeah, it is a Monday morning. It is a November eighteenth. I heard Amy this morning talk about how many days away we are from Christmas? Hey, how about Thanksgiving? Do we even bother anymore? Or it's just Christmas? Start? We have X number of days till Chris? And do we start talking about that in March?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Mary, Thanks Christmas?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 5: Five weeks still Christmas?
Speaker 2: Five weeks still Christmas? Yes?
Speaker 4: But you're right we should acknowledge Thanksgiving. We got a week and a half to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and okay, I can't wait. Well, and Thanksgiving is virtually everybody's favorite holiday? Am I not right on that one? Neil? If you do a survey, survey says which holiday is the most is the most favorite or is the favorite holiday clue. Okay, well I like it. I know you do. Of course I do. This is where even I like it and I don't like family or friends, but I go. I'll go with my kids and we just sit there and we do our Thanksgiving and the obligatory everybody goes around the table. I'm thankful for my family. I'm thankful for my loved ones. I'm thankful for my relationships, and of course I'm thankful for good ratings. I don't care about.
Speaker 3: Anything else that sounds that tracks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So anyway, morning, Neil.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 6: You know a buddy of mine, John Fueling, who owns the corner butcher shop in Laverne, which is not far from where my mother in law lives. He said, my mother in law came in and he goes to place an order for Thanksgiving. He goes, Neil, it's the largest order we have on the books right now.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh, it's going to be a good Thanksgiving.
Speaker 2: How many people are showing up to your Thanksgiving?
Speaker 6: I don't even know, because they're doing My in laws are doing Thanksgiving and Christmas. And my father in law turns eighty and it's his birthday and Max's birthday is at the end of this month, so it's kind of a like a.
Speaker 3: Big, big event.
Speaker 6: But yeah, so I was like, all right, I know that it's going to be good proteins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, true, Amy, Yes, what was I going to ask you? I've already know Neil went through his thing. Thanksgiving. You're going to be where and how? And I have to pretend I care how many people?
Speaker 4: Just a small group, just like my brother's girlfriend. And I think because I'm working on Thanksgiving.
Speaker 2: Day, Look, there you go, any issue and.
Speaker 4: Going home for Thanksgiving. I haven't done that for years because it's up in Oregon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a slap. It's it's tofu turkey up there, anyways, isn't it there?
Speaker 5: Well, we're in southern Oregon. We still do.
Speaker 2: Okay. I think Oregon is more tofu turkey even than California.
Speaker 5: It might be.
Speaker 2: I think it might. And good morning. Hello, Okay, Thanksgiving for you.
Speaker 4: Go to my sister's house, husband kids, they're side of the family, or his, her husband's side of the family, my mom a bunch of people.
Speaker 6: Morning, all right, Thanksgiving, yes, wife works, Probably go to my mom's one of.
Speaker 2: Mom Okay, yeah, I'm going I think I'm going. I think I'm going to my daughters and asked to bring the turkey. So I'm gonna stop off at Gelson's and buy the one hundred and forty dollar turkey. They are crazy with those kinds of prices. Very good turkeys though, or maybe Ralph does one for cheaper. What got to Ralph? Yeah, I know it's not quite the same. I mean, I love Ralphs, which that doesn't have that quite you know, Bristol Farms, Gelson's. You know I like paying more than a hundred thud dollars for a turkey. Neil, you're are you cooking the turkey? Because you can do mine this year too, and I'll just pick it up.
Speaker 6: No, I don't know that. I even asked is there anything I can bring? And I don't think so. Oh, I don't think. I think I might do a pre Thanksgiving or I might do uh something around Christmas?
Speaker 3: Is I want to I want to fire up my big green egg and I.
Speaker 2: Just invited myself over to Neil's house for a bar.
Speaker 6: You want you want a tasty turkey? Yeah, I'm going to talk it on a big green egg right well, by.
Speaker 2: The way, uh a splashcock is actually a verb. I don't know if you know that batch.
Speaker 4: Cock that, but splatchcock is kind of more accurate.
Speaker 2: Right, in several different ways. It is more accurate.
Speaker 3: Falls from the sky. What's a splatchcock?
Speaker 6: Spatch Cock is when you uh, you butterfly, you butterfly the bird uh and you lay it flat and it cooks much more evenly and more quickly because it doesn't have that cavernous inside.
Speaker 3: But it's a great way. It's a great way to do a turkey.
Speaker 2: Okay, now that you've asked Neil what that is, why don't you ask me what a spatch cock is? From that one?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 2: Oh god, I hate the political correctness of this show and where radio has gone political correctness.
Speaker 3: We don't want you to have.
Speaker 6: We don't want you anywhere near something called spatchcock.
Speaker 3: Hey, a fun You know.
Speaker 6: I used to do a segment on The Fork Report where it was things that sound dirty but are actual food terms. Do you know that the term butt ton is actually a measurement of wine?
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 2: Butt?
Speaker 3: Butt ton?
Speaker 2: Butt Ton also a verb? Press correct?
Speaker 3: What's that?
Speaker 2: Also a verb? No?
Speaker 6: And you know what the you know what the hole in the side of a cask. Wine cask is called the bunghole.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is, it is, actually it is.
Speaker 3: The I think it came first day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably, all right, guys, okay, we okay, it's a it's a good start of our morning show on a Monday. Okay, now that we're on of information, Yeah, yes, let's do it, guys, handle on the news with Amy, Neil and me. Lead story. President Biden has just off rise Ukraine to use that very powerful long range American missile and fly it into Russia and attack Russia with it. Up to this point just wasn't happening. But Russia bringing in the Russia, bringing in those Korean North Korean troops. That sort of has changed the formula. So Biden is now going balls to the wall and he has what less a little over a month, no, no, no, a little over two months. It's November December eighth. Yeah, and we'll see he's gonna he's really gonna go crazy up until the inauguration and then we're going to see what President elect Trump is going to do. We don't know yet. I don't know whether he's decided, he's formulating it. At this point, no one has any idea of what he's going to do with Ukraine. And by the way, he has the power, I mean this is foreign affairs. He can say yes and no, much like Iden can say yes long range missiles no to weaponry.
Speaker 4: Speaking of power, Russia's trying to take it out. Russia has renewed its campaign to destroy Ukraine's power grid. Yesterday, it targeted facilities across the country with both missiles and long range drones. It's been one of the largest and most complex bombardonments of the war. The attack yesterday lasted several hours. They fired about one hundred and twenty missiles and ninety drones, and then in response, President Zelenski said that their air defense teams were able to take out one hundred and forty four targets. Some did get through and at least nine civilians were killed. And then the F sixteens also were able to shoot down ten of the targets.
Speaker 2: It's going to be a very rough winner for Ukraine. By the time winner really kicks in, I think you're going to see most of the power infrastructure taken out by Russia. It's it's tough this war. And then you have the income the administration wants to end this war quickly, and it's going to be giving up territory. There's no other way around it. It's uh, it's going to be.
Speaker 6: Tough, all right, all right, let's move off of the war there in Ukraine and move on to the war the Israeli whatever now it is because it's all over the place and Israeli strike targeting a building in Central Bay Route has killed hesbla's spokesperson, Mohammad Afif and this is coming out of there. Three other people were injured in the strike. Densely populated area there at the Lebanese capital.
Speaker 2: YEP. Israel's going for it, you know, has not back down yet, still going crazy. Talk more about that later.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, I'm sorry, Amy, Oh, that's MPOC is spreading and changing. Health officials said that they have confirmed the first US case of a new form of MPOs that was first seen in eastern Congo. The person had traveled to eastern Africa and was treated in northern California when they returned. The California Department of Public Health says symptoms are improving in the patient and the risk to the public is low.
Speaker 2: We talked to Jim about this and he says, it's still very, very rare, but you know that there's just more disease out there than less. So we're having what polio has come back with a vengeance in Africa, measles has come back. And aren't we thrilled that the president's pick is an anti vaxxer for Health and Human Services? Sure? Why not?
Speaker 3: Okay, it's going to be interesting.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's going to be fascinating. I mean there's going to be a lot of fodder for us, that's for sure.
Speaker 6: We can force you to take it, but I don't know they can force you not to take it.
Speaker 3: That'd be weird. A vaccine.
Speaker 2: Uh, yeah, there was a time when there was a man. No, they couldn't ever force you to do it. You can't be forced to take any vaccine. That's impossible.
Speaker 6: But there were mandates, and there were mandates military if you don't.
Speaker 2: If you don't, well, military is a little different because the rules are different in terms of first in the hospital. Yeah, but no, you had a right not to take it. You just couldn't work in the hospital. The hospital would say, I mean, they can't stop, they can't force it. They can't force you to take it. Because that's unconstitutional. But they can't say if you don't, you're not working here anymore. Uh So that's it's as close to forcing you as possible, but it still doesn't violate fundamental rights at least that's what the court said with these mandates.
Speaker 6: All right, the uh we heard gosh, well, well we two ago. You have those messages, those horrible text messages that were going out to African American black residents. They receive those racist texts about you know, showing up at the plantation or whatever, those things. Well they've moved on to Hispanic and LGBTQ plus communities. Hateful emails, racist texts going out, stuff like you know, re education, camps, deportation, things like that.
Speaker 2: Hopefully this is not big news. Hopefully, And I'll tell you, I'll explain. If this comes from an individual or a very small group of individuals, then we haven't reached the point in society where we go, come on, have we really gotten there? We don't know yet. If the number of these are spreading and more people are doing it, then we're looking at come on, have we really gone to hell in a handbasket? At this level?
Speaker 6: These latest rounds have gone to high school and college students. There is way, there are ways apparently to get you know, like these one time phone numbers or whatever. And someone was popped recently for doing this. It's almost like swatting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is, and they can catch it depends on how many people are involved in who they catch. The problem is, we've talked about this. There's no such thing as any kind of privacy. Neil. You can find my phone number out, I can find your phone number out. Anybody can find our information out. And the point is, you know, for example, let's say if I wanted to find out that you're gay, okay, and to target you because I don't like you or whatever, I'm going to target.
Speaker 3: Try to find out I've been in the hotel room with you.
Speaker 2: I know you have, and it's uh. And there were a lot of noises being made. Unfortunately, they were not the kind of noises that you would normally never.
Speaker 3: Mind, I don't want to go hell no means no, but.
Speaker 2: I know, yeah, no, I understand that. But the point I'm making is with AI, not even with AI. With Internet search, you can figure out who someone is, what their politicalfish offiliation is, with their sexual orientation is just by doing searches, what they post, what they say, how they've chatted, what groups are they in, uh, you know, a political commentary texts. I mean, it's just it's insanity. So I'm hoping that this is a small, small group of people that are doing this and then we can say, thank goodness, it's not big news. And I'm kind of frightened that it is big news.
Speaker 3: The well, who, like, who would you think is behind it?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 6: No, I I'm asked, kay, like, would like what would make you big news to you?
Speaker 2: If the numbers of people that are doing this, that's what It's just simply the numbers of people.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: The Spirits are generally not in favor of Spirit Airlines because it's just filed for bankruptcy to this morning. They say that they've got mounting losses on affordable debt, increased competition for low cost travel, and failed merger with other airlines, and so they're going to try to fix themselves. They say that they will be able to continue to fly its normal routes. You can use your tickets and your credits and loyalty points while they go through this process.
Speaker 2: By the way, a lot of airlines have done this. American Delta United have gone through bankruptcy. This is Chapter eleven bankruptcy. You just reorganize debt and leases and that sort of thing, and stock goes up afterwards. Usually these companies are in better shape. Union contracts are canceled and they renegotiate those. Oh Amy, Incidentally, I really like the way that you sort of connect sort of penny stuff, you know, when you start with stories like the Spirits are not with Spirit Airlines, by the way, some of those are actually pretty good, not all of them, but yeah, yeah, Spirit don't stop what Spirit.
Speaker 6: Airline is trying to get their audience back by removing the chairs, putting in bean bags and pant pants optional.
Speaker 3: So okay, so let's say a penny, penny, punny.
Speaker 2: One more and then we'll take a break.
Speaker 6: Wow, this is a big space, but I can't breathe in it.
Speaker 3: It didn't work.
Speaker 6: Russian controlled segment of the International Space Station.
Speaker 3: I love how they were to deel Way.
Speaker 6: It's not us is leaking, allowing pressure and air to bleed out to It's at the highest it's ever been as far as a concern. The rate in which the module is bleeding air hit a new high this year, and they're trying to figure out how to deal with this before people die.
Speaker 2: I'm doing this story at a twenty.
Speaker 4: Okay, So the International Space Station has an air leak.
Speaker 2: Didn't we say that.
Speaker 4: Israel has a classified information leak?
Speaker 2: There you go? You keep on doing that, you know, geez Amy, you know that wasn't what one wasn't bad either, thank you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, yet these tend to work far more than mine do. And it's said, you know, let's so, why don't we put a halt to it on your side?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 5: Okay, you guys, is yours actually work?
Speaker 3: All right? Hope's everything going up there in the space station? Yet, Bill.
Speaker 2: I told you it was stupid. You don't have to drill it and you don't have to kick a dead Russian horse. Okay, right, you want the story, yes, please? Okay.
Speaker 4: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin at Yahoo has an aide who is alleged to have leaked classified information to foreign press in hopes of influencing public opinion on hostage negotiations. The guy was arrested earlier this month for leaking the classified and sensitive intelligence information and apparently the information was leaked and then they found out about it after the Israeli military announced in September that six Israeli hostages had been killed. Four of them were supposed to be released in the first wave of the potential deal that was leaked.
Speaker 3: Nothing.
Speaker 6: No, nothing, Okay, here's a delivery of one. President Biden makes first presidential visit to the Amazon as incoming Trump administration poses a threat to climate.
Speaker 3: The climate fight.
Speaker 6: At world and space and everything as we know it is going to go to hell and a half basket. So this is the first time a sitting president, American president has set foot there in the Amazon rainforest, and Biden wanted to use his presence in this vital environment to bring attention to his efforts to curb carbon emissions. So he took a plane that makes tons of carbon emissions over there to help.
Speaker 3: Yes, well that doesn't make sense.
Speaker 2: By the way, everything is going to hell in a hand basket. And unfortunately that I know everybody, the Amazon is being deforested. Unfortunately, they're burning huge swathsa the Amazon jungle for planting and just uh for commercial cattle purposes for example. And the Amazon regarded as quote the lungs of the Earth because it produces more oxygen than any other single place on the planet of its size and scope. And it's uh, you know it is. It's going to hell in a hand basket. I mean, I don't envy my children or grandchildren. They're going to be living in a very different world than we do.
Speaker 3: They are the lungs of the world, and.
Speaker 2: That's what the Amazon is called, the lungs of the world.
Speaker 3: And you are the ass of the world.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's probably true. Oh the world. I mean, I'm gonna argue with you. I'm still reeling from that piece of stick that I was going to do. All right, let's move on.
Speaker 3: It was right, I think.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, squaws are almost history. In California. Officials are working to remove the racist term toward Native American women in more than thirty locations in California. They're going to be taking squaw off of geographic features and places named in the state. After it was deemed derogatory by the Secretary of the Interior in twenty twenty one. Then Governor Newsom signed a bill in twenty twenty two saying let's get rid of all references to it, and they should be gone by the beginning of next year, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: You know where this started, that the acceptance of squaw as being a derogatory term. You ever been to the cheesecake factory. They used to have squab bread. Now it is brown bread.
Speaker 5: Are you kidding them?
Speaker 2: Now? They really know? They really it used to be called squabrated, really did? Yeah? You know that brown wonderful bread. I've never Yeah, it used to be called it used to be called squab bread. Yep, I'm saying just saying, that's absolutely true. I'm not making that up. And so it is derogatory, and you know, I mean, we have to accept it, and and it changes things. Do you remember when the term negro was considered a definition of black people, you know, the NAACP National Association for or that of colored people. That's now derogatory. And you hear Martin Luther King do his speeches about negroes. Well, that's gone, and things just change where what was accepted is no longer accepted. Although squaw has been a pejorative term for a very long time, what about places like Squaw Valley and things like that. They renamed it, They already renamed Squaw Valley.
Speaker 5: Huh, I can't remember what it's called anymore.
Speaker 3: But it's called Negro Valley.
Speaker 2: Now that's very funny. It's called it snows like Hell in the winter Valley. Who the hell because it is pejorative. And then there are a couple I'm not arguing with you. There is a town in California which is since renamed and that's in town with the world absolutely yep, yep, and that was a city onto itself. How the hell look it up?
Speaker 3: Wow, Okay, I'm blown away. We can hear you now, we can hear you.
Speaker 2: Now, look Amy, I got it too.
Speaker 6: Team Mobile hacked in massive Chinese breach of telecom networks. This comes out of the Wall Street Journal. Hackers linked to a Chinese intelligence agency. We're able to breach the Tea Mobile reach tam Mobile rather as part of a month long campaign to spy on the cell phone communications of what they refer to as high value intelligent targets.
Speaker 2: This is scary because even though these telecom companies have not actually been compromised, we've done this story, what the Chinese are doing is probing and setting up what they can and cannot do. So if there's going to be an attack, it's going to go at one time across the board. It's going to be vicious. You can already tell when you go to a Chinese restaurant, the hacking with the fortune cookies, You open them up and they are a pro communist China little statements. Never mind, See that didn't work either. You know today I'm on a roll with stuff that's not working. This is a very strong Monday.
Speaker 4: Well, Mike Tyson says he has no regrets, but apparently the fans do. Jake Paul and Mike Tyson squared off in the ring in front of seventy thousand fans on Friday night. Millions tuned in on Netflix. Netflix says it had about sixty million households tuning in, peaking at sixty five million.
Speaker 5: But are the people who watched they said, yeah, not so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was.
Speaker 3: A lot, right.
Speaker 2: Did you watch it? Amy? I did not, I did, Neil? Did you watch it?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And so Kno, of course you watched it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was on a wedding and a multi fut it on their phone, multiple tabs.
Speaker 2: That's funny to watch it. And did you watch it?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: I did? She did, Okay, and I watched it. Everybody was very disappointed, and a lot of people said, there's no reason that Tyson should have done that enter that fight, and I can think of twenty million reasons why he should have done it.
Speaker 3: The rules were a little hinky.
Speaker 6: My understanding is that he had to go to the distance to make the most amount of money, So I don't know.
Speaker 2: It was explained the gloves were much thicker, so a knockout was almost impossible.
Speaker 3: Listen, it was it was how many? How many rounds?
Speaker 2: Eight rounds? Eight rounds two minutes each?
Speaker 6: Okay, So if I want to watch an old man make millions of dollars for doing fifteen minutes worth of work, oh wow, I do it at Monday through Friday.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So anyway, it wasn't The fight wasn't very good, and you know, it was clearly a stunt that worked. And by the way, I thought Mike Tyson was not the brightest, brightest guy in the world in his thirties. Wow, in his late fifties, he takes that one to a new level, doesn't he?
Speaker 3: How dare you? He's the champ? Was was still is need the money? All right? With that Bella? What's his last name again? Bella? Okay?
Speaker 6: So he's that legendary but controversial Romanian American gymnastics coach helped Mary lou Retten, Nadia Komanici, Carrie strug alta Olympic gold.
Speaker 3: Well he's dead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very controversial. He really brutally treated his his gymnasts. Never accused of any sexual impropriety, but the emotional damage that they said he did.
Speaker 3: I mean, this guy was just.
Speaker 2: A drill sergeant squared. Kind of a fun story. I didn't know that in Russia while he was coaching, he spotted this six year old during doing cartwheel. Six years old, Nadiya Komenich. And she is still the only gymnasts I think that have won straight tens in the Olympic and the only gymnast that was no taller than three foot four, I mean, very very small gymnasts. Hard time seeing her, but she looked great when the camera did a close up. Okay, let's just move.
Speaker 4: On the not so friendly skies over Dallas, somebody took a shot at a Southwest Airlines flight. The flight was getting ready to leave from Dallas love Field. It was going to be heading to Indianapolis just before ten pm. But not so much because the bullet hit the right side of the plane just under the flight deck as it was taxing.
Speaker 5: They were able to get back to the gate safely.
Speaker 2: No one was hurt. Yeah, this is scary. This is what is it, number three plane that it's been hit by uh by gunfire in the last week, week and a half.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the other ones were in that was just that. That was Thursday where they were in Mexico, aren't.
Speaker 3: They Oh no, there was a Haiti one. Yeah, right right, you're right, you're right.
Speaker 5: It was Haiti that they were taking.
Speaker 6: But listen, we're not going to if the US, We're not going to sit back and let Haiti or Mexico. It's we want to shoot at them too. You you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty scary enough as far as dec uh you know when the plane decompresses, is that right? Uh? Or decompensates and the plane uh feels uh thinks it's something else other than an airplane.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: In any case, Uh, the pressure depressurizes. That's the word I'm looking for. The plane is low. The plane is low enough to wear whole in the fuselage. Aren't going to really affect it. If it were a thirty thousand feet that'd be very different. But it's hard to shoot an airplane at thirty thousand feet with a gun short of a ballistic missile.
Speaker 6: So still last one, last most office to honor Betty White with her own stamp next year.
Speaker 3: This is awesome.
Speaker 6: And if you've ever wanted to lick the backside of Betty White?
Speaker 3: Now wait what? Wow? What? I was trying to be clever that yeah, well, like Amy, it's.
Speaker 2: Not really, it's not really. They don't lick stamps anymore. So you have to imagine someone putting super glue on her backside.
Speaker 3: And if you if you want to enjoy the sticky backside of.
Speaker 2: Bet okay, there you go. I just thought we anyway, she is an icon beyond icons. Everything loved Betty White. She was she was acting into her nineties and just spectacular. All right, guys, we're done. KF I am six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch my Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app