Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: It's time for your morning wake up call. Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: It is five o'clock, straight up. This is your wake up call for Monday, July twenty ninth. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Fun Weekend. How is your weekend? Did you have a good time, Get some ressed, sit on the couch and watch the Olympics. I'm totally Olympics obsessed. But every time I see it, I just sit there and go, oh my god, I'm such a slug. Oh my god. I can't even I can't even bend over and touch my toes anymore. Oh my god. Especially when you watch like the beach volleyball. There is not an ounce of fat on those women, and they're nearly naked so you can see. But oh my gosh, they're amazing. And the gymnasts, are you kidding me? So much fun to watch, so much fun. I know where I'm going to be for the next two weeks. We're going to get the latest from Paris with ABC's Ennez de la Caatera. In about fifteen minutes. In fact, we're going to be checking in with her every day from the Olympics and get some of the maybe some behind the scenes stuff as well as the all important metal count. Here's what's ahead on wake up call this Monday morning. So cow Gas is going to be shutting off natural gas service to a neighborhood in Rancho Palace Verdes where the ground has been shifting. More than one hundred and thirty residents of Portuguese Bend are going to lose their gas service starting at nine this morning. Rancho Palas Verdi's mayor, John Khrushenk says people will likely be forced to leave their homes if they're electricity and water get shut off. Next President Biden has unveiled a plan to set up term limits and an ethics code for US Supreme Court justices. Biden's also pushing for a constitutional amendment that would override the Court's recent ruling that gives presidents some immunity while in office. Now much chance that any of the plans will pass because of the divided Congress. Handel's going to be talking more about that on Handle on the News at six oh five. Lebanon's state run news agency says Israeli airstrikes have killed at least two people and hurt three others in southern Lebanon. The report came as Israel moles over its response to a rocket attacked from Lebanon over the weekend that killed twelve children and teenagers in a town in the Israel controlled Golan Heights. We'll get the latest from Israel with ABC's Geordani Miller in less than five minutes. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KMFI twenty four hour newsroom. Police in East Hollywood and Silver Lake are warning people about a series of home break ins over the weekend, including one where a woman was sexually assaulted. Billy say the woman was attacked in her bedroom as she slept. The crimes happened early Friday into Saturday. Neighbors tell KTLA it is scary.
Speaker 3: I immediately was thinking about ring cameras and extra locks and just various things that we can do or think about, or just even rethinking the area that I had always felt really safe in.
Speaker 1: One person says they were able to get the man out of their home and call police, but they were shaken up Rescuers in Huntington Beach have been looking for a teenager who disappeared out swimming near Lifeguard Tower eleven. They say the teen went swimming late last night with another person who got out of the water and then realized the teen wasn't there with them. Divers and swimmers searched the water. They were eventually pulled out while the search continued on land and by air. A wildfire that started near Chico in northern California is now the largest active fire in the US. It's burned more than three hundred and sixty thousan acre since it started Wednesday. Lance and Patricia Conlin are among the thousands of people forced to leave their homes.
Speaker 4: Both survivors of the campfire.
Speaker 1: It took us six hours to get up, so we didn't want to experience that again. The campfire is the one that destroyed the nearby town of Paradise in twenty eighteen. The current fire is burning in four counties and is just twelve percent contained. We've got the latest from Jerusalem ABC's Jordana Miller. Good morning, not a great weekend for Israel as a rocket attack kills a bunch of children on a soccer field in the Golan Heights.
Speaker 5: It was such a tragic and sad weekend, hence the law. The Iron backed militia that has been fighting with Israel really since October eighth, they fired various rockets and missiles on Saturday afternoon, and it appears that one of them misfired and smashed into a soccer field where a bunch of children were playing soccer on a late Saturday afternoon. There was a siren. Some were able to take cover, but others did not survive the explosion and the impact, and there were twelve children under the age of eighteen killed, including five from the same family. These are all citizens of Israel. They're part of an Arab minority called the Drus. They're quite integrated into his early society. They serve in the Israeli Army. Almost a dozen soldiers from the Drewz community have died in Gaza. And so as you can imagine the response from Israel, from both the Prime Minister and the Defense Minister, they vowed, you know, to make Habal pay a quote heavy price, and we're essentially in a waiting waiting game right now. Israel is you know, they have the Cabinet has met, the Prime Minister came back early to Israel. They've met, and they have green They've they've given their approval for a reprisal strike. And now we're waiting to see what Israel does. And the Prime Minister has to be really careful here. He needs to send a strong message that what happened is unacceptable. On the other hand, he doesn't want to drag Israel into a larger war, a direct war with Hasbalah that could widen out into a regional war and include Aran. So it is a quite precarious moment and Israel's going to it appears, take more time to decide how and when it's going to respond, And of course the world is watching and very nervous about really what's going to come next.
Speaker 1: And Jordana, there were some air strikes carried out overnight, like six o'clock local time yesterday in Israel, I believe, And but that's not part of the retaliation.
Speaker 5: It's not. Unfortunately, back and forth attacks have become par for the course in the war. Over the last several months, especially the last three months, there's been a real escalation. May, June and July saw a huge jump thirty percent in the attacks, both from Azbaa and responses by Israel. You know, that was seen as kind of a pressure building as the Goza ceasefire talks we're having their ups and downs, so that was not the response. Today. There's been a targeted assassination of two Husbula fighters in southern Lebanon. That's also not part of the response because we've seen those kind of targeted killings over the last several months. This is going to be a bigger strike. By that, I mean Israel may go after some civilian infrastructure targets, not necessarily be root which for Hesbala would be a red line, but maybe in southern Lebanon, maybe they'll hit some power grids or bridges or fuel storage sites and send a message only that Hesbala is responsible, but that Lebanon is responsible for not controlling Hasbala. They will also hit probably deeper military you know, hit deeper into Lebanese territory uh and hit more has Bala military targets. We're going to have to wait and see, but certainly the response is coming. It is going to be strong, and many people hoping that it doesn't cross the line. For example, by hitting be Root, because then you can understand what might happen. Has Bola might say, oh great, if be Root is game, then tel Aviv's game, and then you could have Hesbala fire on tel Aviv, which would change the rules of the game that the unwritten rules of the game until now have been. You know that both sides would only attack military targets.
Speaker 1: Okay, a precarious situation at best. Jordana Miller, thank you so much for the information. We'll continue to watch and hope that things do not escalate. Yep, we'll talk to you again soon. All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom, which is getting word that the Food and Drug Administration has approved a new blood test to screen for colon cancer. The test from Garden Health would not replace colonoscopies, but would be a less invasive way to detect the disease. And, speaking as somebody with experience on this, anyway to detect that nasty little thing that could turn into more than a nasty little thing is a great, great advancement. Two young kids have witnessed a deadly shootout in sam Bernardino that killed their father.
Speaker 6: Van Berardino County Sheriff's deputy say it started as a hit and run on the two ten, when motorcyclist Jonathan McConnell split the lanes and hit us sedan driven by Aaron Harris. Harris's two year old and five year old were also in the car when he exited the freeway and followed McConnell into the parking lot of a restaurant in Highland. Deputies say that's when both men started shooting at each other. Both of them died from gunshot wounds on the scene. The two children and other patrons of the bar and lounge were unhurt during the incident. Heather Brooker kay off I News.
Speaker 1: A woman has barricaded herself inside a home in La Puente as La County Sheriff's deputies try to get her to surrender. The standoff on Renault Street began just after eleven thirty last night. Surrounding homes were evacuated. Officials haven't said what the woman is wanted for. Dodgers' first baseman, Freddie Freeman, has been placed on the family Emergency list because his three year old son is in the hospital in Texas it's not clear when Freeman will rejoin the team. Dodgers manager Dave Roberts says they're trying to let Freeman spend time with his family and pray that things continue to improve. Former President Trump says he'll continue to hold outdoor rallies following his attempted assassination in Pennsylvania. The Secret Service had urged him to shift his campaign events indoors since the shooting. On July thirteenth, Trump posted on social media over the weekend that the Secret Service has agreed to substantially step up their operation. He also wrote that they are very capable of doing so. Irvine Police may have zoomed ahead in an unofficial race to be the first department with a Teslas cybertruck.
Speaker 7: The city posted the announcement on social media with a picture of a sleek, all black cyber truck with red and blue police lights blazing in the hashtag not kidding. Irvine Police's Kyle o'dorp says the department has the truck and is working on how it'll be marked and outfitted with sirens and other equipment.
Speaker 1: We don't anticipate it to be on patrol.
Speaker 8: This car is not going to be pulling people over.
Speaker 9: We're going to be using it for community engagement and community outreach.
Speaker 2: We have a DARE program, we have a robust youth program.
Speaker 7: The box like truck that looks like it came from the Moon is expected to be ready for duty in a few months in Orange County. Corbin Carson kaf I News.
Speaker 1: I just saw one of those on the street yesterday. It is a weird looking thing. SpaceX is moving its Dragon spacecraft splashdowns from off the coast of Florida to the west coast. Long Beach City officials say the Port of Long Beach is going to be the new home to SpaceX's Dragon recovery vessel. So I wonder if we're going to be able to see them come down here on the west coast, Like, are they close enough to shore that we could see that? That'd be cool. Police are working to find out how a man got into a metro train tunnel near the Hollywood Station. Police were called to the station shortly before three pm yesterday and found the man dead in a tunnel between Universal City and North Hollywood. Actually they were it was three pm Saturday. Police say he may have been electrocuted when he ran onto the tracks. Orange Counties Sarah Hughes and Kelly Chang have served up a big win as they go for gold in beach volleyball at the Paris Olympics. They swept a team from the Czech Republic. Their next match is Wednesday against the host country France. Hughes and Chang were te mates at USC and won the twenty twenty three Beach Volleyball World Championships together at six oh five. It's handled on the news as if Pasadena hasn't been through enough. The town that was basically destroyed in a wildfire six years ago is under a new evacuation warning because of the huge fire that is burning in northern California. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Inez de la Katera in Paris, bonjour inz. So you're in the thick of it in Paris for the for the Olympics, and it's off to a wild and wonderful start. So out of the gate, we got to talk about some on Biles, and then we can talk to others about other stuff.
Speaker 9: We can often just talk about someone Biled. I love some biled. It was very cool to see her back on the mat over the weekend for the women's qualifiers. She there was some issues so early on she was doing warm ups and then she appeared to kind of hurt herself and she was unseen seems limping, and so there were fears that that could impact her performance. But being him own Biles, of course, she pulled through and she actually did amazingly well and she got an incredible score, especially on vaults. She landed two of her signature moves, so she is back in full force. Sunny Lee also doing very well, also heading to the all around finals, and so that's very exciting because both Simone and Sunny will be going, meaning we'll have two all around champions basing off in the all around finals, both from Tmusa. That's the first time that's happened.
Speaker 1: I love it, and so I'm thrilled to hear that she seems to be doing okay, because I know I was watching the competition yesterday and they just kept talking about it as she was grabbing for her calf and was off sitting off from the other girls for a little bit. And what looks like she went into the training room. But she appears to be okay.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, she had her ankle taped up and everything, so we were all of it concerned. Her coach did talk about it afterwards, you know, in those briefings that they do after the events. He seemed a downplay it. He said, like you say, it was a leg injury that she's been kind of dealing with for a few months, but nothing major. He said that at no point she ever considered, you know, not competing. So they were downplaying and it doesn't seem to be a big thing, thankfully.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, And so far it's turning out to be a rather star studed Olympics. Who have we spotted so far?
Speaker 9: I saw to everyone and their mother is here.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 9: So you had the gymnastics if that was actually packed with people. So you had Tom Cruise, John legend Ariana Grande, Greta Gerwick. So you had at the women's water polo events, you had the first lady doctor Joe Biden. You have played a slave, which is a really interesting storyline coming out of these Olympics as well. He is now the women's water polo team's official hypeman. Kind of me, it's kind of fun how that.
Speaker 5: Came to be.
Speaker 9: So he actually apparently puts the data for and he saw a social media post from the team's captain saying how most Olympians need a second or a third job to be able to their their their you know, activities and to be able to chase their dreams. And then it's expensive to pay for you know, all the gear and the travel and all of that. And so he responded to that post and he pledged to help as he's been helping them financially and he's promised to sponsor them for the next five years. So that's I guess that's how that came to be the whole flavor slave being the hikesman here.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. I love that. And then I also saw Mick Jagger at the fencing events.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was.
Speaker 9: Another big one. And I'm not sure if he was at the one where we won gold, but teams A did win of gold in fencing. We are now at three gold. We we we have the most medals. We have twelve total. We're a little behind Japan and South Korea and in terms of four each, so we'll make up that difference in no time, I'm sure. But yes, fencing is a is a big one, very cool venue as well for fencing, so that's certainly one to watch.
Speaker 1: I haven't watched fencing before. That was kind of fun. I mean it's like the it's they put them up on center stage and the room around them is dark and it's just cool.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but very fast too. I haven't actually been inside yet, but it's on my list of other events I'd like to go to. It seems to be really yeah, action packed, very quick, Yeah, very cool, lots of energy in the room.
Speaker 1: Okay, we got you for thirty seconds more. What are we going to see today?
Speaker 9: So today the big one is skateboarding. I think that's one to watch. It was supposed to be held on Saturday. It was Sonne due to the rain. Skateboarding sport that's new to the Olympics, so it's exciting. High hope for Nijil Hudson on Tmusa, who is favored to.
Speaker 10: Win a medal.
Speaker 9: And then tomorrow the men's triathlon, which is supposed to be held in the Send, but the water quality has been really bad because of the rains. It's unclear if they're going to be able to move forward with that or if they might have to delay it by a couple of days. We'll see, but that's I think going to be also interesting to watch. There is obviously been a lot of skepticism when it comes to the shed and the water quality there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was going to say that I don't think the rain is the biggest problem for this end. Okay, and asde Lakatara, thank you so much. We're going to be getting a metal count and a chat with you each day through the Olympics. We appreciate your time. Have fun. Thank you, Okay au Revoir. Let's get back to some of the stories get coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. So cow Gas is set to shut off service to more than one hundred and thirty homes in Rancho Palace Verdes because of concerns about land movement. The gas company just notified customers in the Portuguese Bend area on Friday that they were going to be losing their service indefinitely starting at nine this morning. The city says. Locals spent the weekend looking into propane or electric alternatives. President Biden's expected to propose term limits for Supreme Court justices.
Speaker 2: And the service of a Supreme Court justice after eighteen years.
Speaker 1: ABC Stephen Portnoys's. Biden also wants to override the court's recent decision that the president enjoys some immunity for official acts.
Speaker 2: He's proposing a constitutional amendment that would emphatically state that there is no immunity conferred upon someone who previously served as president by virtue of their service.
Speaker 1: Biden is said to announce his plans this afternoon at the LBJA Presidential Library in Austin In Texas, Venezuelan President Nicholas Maduro and opposition candidate and Mundo Gonzales are both claiming victory this morning in the country's election. The vote was marred by accusations of foul play on both sides and sporadic violence. The country's election authority said Maduro one with fifty one percent of the vote, Gonzales got forty four percent. Exit polls seem to point to an opposition victory. Though first the trains, now the telephones, French authorities say vandals have hit multiple telecommunication lines as France hosts the twenty twenty four Olympics. Fiber lines and fixed and mobile phone lines have been affected. Last week, the French National train service was targeted by what were called malicious acts just hours before the opening ceremonies. A Los Angeles nonprofit is developing software that's intended to help the homeless find shelters and services better. Angels United, founded by tech entrepreneur and philanthropist Adam Adam Miller, has a team of tech experts building a mobile friendly prototype for outreach workers. It would then be followed by systems for shelter operators and a comprehensive shelter bed database that the region currently does not have.
Speaker 11: I'm the Messiah yet, Marvel.
Speaker 1: Jesus, Deadpool and Wolverine has taken in more than two hundred million dollars at the box office in its opening weekend. It's the eighth best North American opening of all time. The third film in the Deadpool Deadpool series pairs Ryan Reynolds with Hugh Jackman as Wolverine to save the multiverse. So the Hollywood Bowl was distinctly pink over the weekend.
Speaker 2: A Holy Guy, Important Things to Do.
Speaker 11: It's hard.
Speaker 1: Barbie. The movie in concert was at the Hollywood Bowl, and we talked about it on out and about last week, and I got to go, and you know, I was telling you that the sound at the Bowl is just so The word I used was pristine, because it's just so perfect and they just, you know, prove that again. The show was so great. So it's Barbie the movie up on the big screen and then the live orchestra playing the music behind. And how they did it, I really don't know, because they mixed it so perfectly so you could hear everything in the movie, but you could also hear the orchestra playing. And it was a beautiful evening and we got sandwiches from gwen My the new favorite place. That's Curtis Stone's restaurant. Oh my god. They were delicious. I mean, so it was just like this cool, cool experience. So if you haven't been to the Hollywood Bowl recently, highly recommend it. It's such a great place to see a show. And like I'd said when I talked to the conductor Macy, there is no bad seat in the Hollywood Bowl. They're all fat. A woman has been sexually assaulted in one of several homes that were broken into over the weekend. The LAPD is looking into burglaries at three homes in East Hollywood and Silver Lake. Police are asking you to call LA Regional Crime Stoppers if you know or saw anything so Cow Gas is going to be shutting off natural gas service to a neighborhood in Rancho Palace Verdes where the ground has been shifting. More than one hundred and thirty homes in Portuguese Bend will lose their gas service starting at nine this morning. The Happiest Haunts on Earth will be haunting once again with the reopening of the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland. The attraction has been closed for renovations since January. The mansion's already ready for the holidays, decked out in its new Nightmare before Christmas design. It's reopening today at six oh five. It's handle on the news. VP Kamala Harris is cashing in on her almost guaranteed nomination for president. She's raised two hundred million dollars in just a week. In fact, let's dive into that a little bit more. Right now, we've got ABC's Steve Robert with us. It's been a good week for the Democratic Party following the exit of President Biden as the candidate.
Speaker 10: Yes, it has you mentioned two hundred million. The Harris campaign claims it's signed up one hundred and seventy thousand new volunteers. You look at our ABC asels Paul Amy out this morning, Harris's favorable rating was jumped from thirty five to forty three. That's not great, but it's a lot better than it was. While Trump's favorable rating has dropped from forty to thirty five, but among independents, a big jump. Harris's Rating's one from twenty eight to forty four. But the basic point here this morning, Amy is we can't predict what's going to happen in ninety nine days. Think what's happened in the last ninety nine days, right, well, yeah, exactly. But we can say this this morning, Kamerala Harris is fifty nine years old, not eighty one years old. She has deprived Donald Trump of the single, by far, his single best argument, because he was running against a frail eighty one year old. She has re energized Democrats. They are now excited. Two weeks ago, they were demoralized, they were depressed, they were facing a historic defeat. Today they're back in the game. Now, it's a long way to go. Harris has a lot of vulnerabilities. She's being demonized as a San Francisco liberal. This is not the best thing to be in American politics these days. She's got to defend the Democratic record, which has not been great on inflation and immigration. She still has to prove herself as a campaigner. When she ran herself in twenty twenty, she was a dismal presidential candidate. But the world does look different this morning, and Donald Trump knows it because he's been complaining. He said I wanted to run against Joe Biden. He was going to be easy to be and it's going to be a lot harder to beat Kamala Harris than Joe Biden's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, Steve, do people know Kamala Harris because she really hasn't done a lot that we know of as vice president? She doesn't. I mean she's she's kind of been there, but not really jumping out into the spotlight much.
Speaker 10: No, I mean they don't know her very much at all. The single most important thing about Kamala Harris is she's not Joe Biden. Yeah, it's not who she is, it's who she is not. And she's not eighty one years old, and she's not stumbling up and down the steps of Air Force one. And she didn't disgrace herself in the debate with Donald Trump. It's that I don't mean this to demean Kamala Harris, but that's the political reality. And now going forward, it will be much more focused on who she is. She's going to be in the spotlight. And then this is an open question because I don't care how experienced you are as a politician. When you run for president, and as you become a serious candidate, the spotlight gets so much more intensive and the standard by which you were judged is so much higher. It's an enormous change. Just asked Ron DeSantis as a good example right there, he was a two term governor of Florida, cruising to re election, everybody's golden boy. He gets into the national spotlight and power, He's just suddenly measured against a very different standards. So she is going to have to face that, and it's a very open question about how she does, and she is going to be subjected to withering fire from the Republican some of which is legitimate, some of which is not. I think it's totally legitimate for the Republicans to say she was part of an administration that could control inflation, She was part of an administration that could not control the border, but there's also going to be any It's already started. And that is the element of sexism. There's no doubt that one of the main reasons Hillary Clinton lost eight years ago was sexism. We are one of the few industrialized countries of any kind in the world who was yet to be led by a woman. Think about a whole generation ago, two generations ago, when Margaret Thatcher and Britain think about Angela Merkel in Germany, think about in Deira, Gandhi and India. There has been so many other countries long ago broke the gender barrier in terms of a chief executive. America never has. And is it a sexism, Steve?
Speaker 1: Is it sexism or is it just it was a bad candidate?
Speaker 10: Oh? Well, of course there are many factors Amy in any election. I'm saying this was only one of many factors. Hillary Clinton lost because she was a bad candidate in many ways. All I'm saying is that you have to keep your eye on this element.
Speaker 1: That it's still out there among many.
Speaker 10: Look at look at it. Look at the Donald Trump talking about Kamala Harris's laugh, which he would he ever say that about a male politician. Come on. Of course he would never say that about a man, but that is that is a sexist trope. When he talks about Kamala Harris as a lunatic, what does he really say. He's say women are too emotional, women can't be counted in the crisis, women are unstable. One of the oldest sexist tropes in the book. So there are many legitimate arguments against Kamala Harris, but keep your eye on that sexist element because it was used against Clinton, it's going to be it's already being used against Harris, and it's one of the reasons why, as I say, we're one of the few major countries that has never been led by a woman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in it. The Trump campaign's going to have to be careful. I mean, both sides are going to have to be careful because, as you mentioned, the independence, that's really going to be a key voting block, because I mean, whether the Democrats like Kamala or not, there's a better chance that they'll close ranks and vote for her. Same thing with yes.
Speaker 10: And here's the other factor. In the same way that sexism could certainly be a drag on the Democratic ticket, it could also be an asset if Harris is effective at turning it around. One of the big differences between today and twenty sixteen was the Dobbs decision reversing Roe v. Way and Harris she's burdened by issues of inflation and immigration, but she's much better positioned. And Joe Biden was to prosecute the issue of abortion, not just because she's a woman, but Biden was a believing Roman Catholic. He was never comfortable arguing that issue in the clear and forceful terms. But the potential all we can say this morning is a potential for Harris to get out there and say not just that a Republican dominated court has reversed your rights to control your own reproductive system, but there's a larger potential message there any which is Donald Trump does not respect women, He does not respect me, and he does not respect you. And if Harris can make that argument to those swing voters in Wisconsin and Michigan to be very important, well, we.
Speaker 1: Got ninety nine days to go, and I'm sure it's going to be a heck of a ride. Thank you for sharing your insights and thoughts, Steve, as we muddle our way through this election season.
Speaker 10: Anytime, Amy all right, thanks so much.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Thousands of people who work at Disneyland or set to vote on a proposed labor agreement that would avert a strike. Three unions representing about fourteen thousand Disneyland employees announced on Wednesday that they had reached a tentative contract deal with Disney Employees will be voting on it today. News brought to you by American Vision Windows. A man has been killed along the Metro Redline tracks in North Hollywood. Police were called to the station Saturday afternoon and found the man unconscious inside a tunnel. Investigators say there was no sign he was hit by a train. They say it appears the guy was electrocuted when he ran out onto the tracks. A woman's body has been found floating in the Dominga's Channel and Carson. It was reported around seven last night. Sheriff's officials say that death is considered suspicious because the woman had obvious signs of trauma to her body. A popular fast food sign in Hollywood. I just drove by this yesterday could be protected as an historic landmark.
Speaker 11: The Army's on Sunset Boulevard closed in June after fifty five years in operation. But while the building is dark now, it's Western style ten gallon hat neon sign could be given Cultural Landmark status. LA Cultural Heritage Commission Chair Barry Mulofsky says it should be saved.
Speaker 4: I think it's an iconic example of roadside signage architecture, probably as important in terms of icon of roadside designations as the Golden Arches are in the Donalds.
Speaker 11: The Commission voted to have the City Planning Department prepare a report for consideration. Michael Monks, KFI News.
Speaker 1: Love me a good Arby's Roast beef sandwich. Tomorrow, the Dodgers take on the Padres in San Diego, with first pitch going out at six point forty. You can listen to every play of very Dodgers game on AM five seventy LA Sports, and you can stream all the games in HD on the iHeartRadio app Keyword AM five seventy LA Sports powered by LA Care for all of LA. Thirteen motorcyclists have been arrested in Temecula after leading sheriff's deputies on a chase around town. The Riverside County Sheriff's departmentsies. Members of the group are now facing several charges, including blocking traffic, breaking traffic laws, and carrying weapons and tear gas illegally. Israel has retaliated against a Hesbola rocket attack that killed twelve children playing on a soccer field in the goal On Heights, although Israel is saying that the air strikes overnight were not the retaliation that Israel is promising. Israeli warplanes hit targets inside Lebanon and along the border. Deadpool and Wolverine has slashed box office records with two or five million dollars. It is the eighth biggest opening of all time and the biggest R rated movie opening ever. Twisters is still churning in some decent dollars, coming in second place with over thirty five million dollars in its second week of release. Despicable Me four was third, Inside Out two was fourth, and the horror movie Long Legs finished fifth. We're just minutes away from handle. On the news this morning, the ground is shifting in Rancho Palace Verdes. So the city's turning off the gas to an entire neighborhood. Let's say good morning, Now to ABC's Jim Ryan in Dallas. Jim, We're used to earthquakes in California, but there's been a whole lot of shaking going on in Texas well.
Speaker 8: Right in the past week, there have been something like eighty earthquakes out west of here. The ones that you could feel, the ones about two point five or above twenty one of them in this one small area, an area out in West Texas, out in the oil patch near You wouldn't have heard of any of these towns. Snyder, Texas. It's kind of northwest of Abilene. May have heard of Vabbling by about a hundred miles and two hundred miles west of here. The strongest of the quakes was a five point one magnitude on Friday morning at nine twenty eight. How do I know that because I felt it two hundred miles away, looked at my watch. I'm on the fifth floor of a building, and suddenly it started swaying and rocking. You could feel the floor shaking. Stuff from the room was kind of jiggling. Then it went on for like half a minute. And yeah, it was two hundred miles west of here, where the up the center was. Have you failed earthquakes before Jim A long time ago when I lived in Idaho, I felt.
Speaker 1: One, and this one pretty decent jolts.
Speaker 8: Well, it certainly was out there five point one in this little community of Hermley. And again, I mean it's part of a cluster of dozens that have happened in the past week or so now. They had the latest ones were on Saturday. There were a couple that happened on a Saturday afternoon in that same area, but yesterday it was all clear. Today's been all clear, no new earthquakes since Saturday.
Speaker 1: So here's a question for you. Since I mentioned that in California, I mean, we get them all the time, and the buildings are made to withstand earthquakes here. Do they have those same earthquakes specifications in Texas?
Speaker 8: Don't think so. I doubt it. And in the little town, I mean, it's not as though they've got a bunch of skyscrapers in herm Leake, Texas. I mean, I suspect there are very few two story buildings there, But it's homes and ranches and businesses that kind of thing out there, and I don't know if they're built to that kind of specification here. You know, we're built to with stand tornadoes, and presumably if something can stand up to three hundred mile an hour wind, then it's going to hold up against an earthquake. But I'm not sure. I think the standards are different all.
Speaker 1: Over the place, but that would make sense, like you said, if it's if it's built to withstand those winds, I would think that, like the foundations would be bolted down in that kind of stuff.
Speaker 8: Were in some area about the building I was in, and you couldn't didn't hear any creaking. The buildings about six years old, no creaking, No, you know, you couldn't hear anything at all, but you sure felt it.
Speaker 1: So there's talk fit something triggered the earthquakes and it wasn't a fault line.
Speaker 8: Probably not. There are fault lines that run through Texas. But it's possible that the fault line that was sort of triggered by this may have been because of fracking. Okay, fracking, of course practice of you drive high pressure water down into the shale and you smash the shale open. That releases natural gas and other oil products that are then drawn up and put to use. Right, but in doing so, you create millions and millions of gallons of wastewater, toxic wastewater that comes back up out of there, and they have to dispose of it responsibly. And to do so, the industry creates new wells and they then pump this water back then into these new wells, and that may be the source of these earthquakes. You know, it's not the fracking itself, it's not oil wells, but it may be these injection wells. That's the thinking. And you know that's out in the oil patch where this all is happening, and so it's entirely possible.
Speaker 10: Hmm.
Speaker 1: Interesting. I need to read up more on that, because it's like interesting, how does that make an earthquake happen?
Speaker 8: Though, Well, if it's near, if they create a new injection well close to a fault line, an existing fault line, even the one that's been inactive for a long time, then it can cause the fault line to slide, you know, the two opposing forces there. If they've got water running through them or new pressure created by an injection well, that may cause these fault lines, existing lines to shift.
Speaker 1: A bit, kind of like Mother Nature itching a scratch. Yeah, exactly, Okay, well, hold on, I hope you don't have any more big ones coming. This is not And just before you go that this has happened too, like somewhere in the Midwest, north Midwest something where they were getting some earthquakes where they don't normally get them, and they were saying cracking might be behind those two.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the Dakota's North Dakota has become a big natural gas exploration. You've got a big shale up there in Pennsylvania, different areas. And I'm looking at the earthquake map from the last week and the shows the way I've got it set. Every earthquake in the last week, it's above two point five. You got to mess up Mountain California. But yeah, up into Idaho and Washington State and then way way over in Maine.
Speaker 1: Weird, all right, Jim Ryan place we live I know right Well, you know, California didn't want to be the only one to have earthquakes. We wanted to share. Thank you so much for the information. Thank type. All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. SpaceX is moving its Dragon recovery to the West coast from Florida. Officials in Long Beach say the city is going to be the new home to SpaceX's Dragon recovery vessels starting next year. The Hawthorn based company says the move is intended to reduce risks associated with re entering debris that falls from the spacecraft. On several occasions, pieces of debris from Dragon trunks have landed in Australia, Saskatchewan, North Carolina, and other places. Iran says the Iran Baked backed militant group Hezbollah will pay a heavy price for a rocket attack in the Israeli occupied Golan Heights that hit a soccer field and killed twelve children.
Speaker 12: All the victims Arab citizens of Israel from the town of Mage del Jams. It's another critical moment for Benjamin Natanya, who you must carefully calibrate the Israeli Army's military response.
Speaker 1: ABC's jo Dana Miller says the concern is overdrawing Iran into a regional war. Official say the attack on Saturday involved about thirty projectiles. Israel's military says their warplanes carried out coordinated airstrikes against Hesbola targets deep inside Lebani Lebanese territory and along the border overnight yesterday, Hesbola denies it was behind the strike. Actress Jennifer Garner was at her very first comic con in San Diego over the weekend when she got stuck in an elevator. Oh my gosh, that's one of my worst fears. She posts about it. It's Saturday on social media.
Speaker 9: I need them.
Speaker 6: Could you use that?
Speaker 1: Could use a wolverine, I can use a dead pool. I could use someone and take the stairs once we can.
Speaker 6: We're working for stairs.
Speaker 1: She said in another video that it got toasty and shitzy and that she needed to blot. After more than an hour, San Diego firefighters got the doors open.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, oh my god, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: A comment on Garner's Instagram posts claimed to be from a fire captain who apologized that it took so long for rescuers to be called out. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call. If you missed any wake up call, you can listen any time on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to Wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear Wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on kf I Am six forty, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app