Speaker 1: All right, so get this today, we're getting life advice from like a Roman emperor.
Speaker 2: Crazy, right, Okay, now you've got me curious. Tell me more.
Speaker 1: We're talking about Marcus Aurelius, you know, the philosopher emperor rule Rome at its peak.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I know him.
Speaker 1: But this isn't about conquering barbarians or anything like that. It's about conquering something way harder.
Speaker 2: What's that yourself? Oooh, now we're talking. Yeah, so tell me how does a Roman emperor from what eighteen hundred years ago teach us about self improvement?
Speaker 1: Well, that's the really cool part. It's through his meditations. Basically, it's like his personal journal. But forget Cherius and Togas and all that. It's packed with like surprisingly relatable wisdom, stuff that's still relevant even with all our modern day anxieties.
Speaker 2: Interesting, what kind of wisdom are we talking about?
Speaker 1: We're talking about Stoic philosophy.
Speaker 2: Stoicism. Oh, that sounds kind of serious, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: I know, it gets a bad rap for being all about like suppressing your emotions and stuff, but it's so much deeper than that. We actually have excerpt from this chatbot conversation where someone asked it to, like imagine a podcast about Marcus Aurelius. Okay, and it came up with some really good episode titles like Mindfulness and Virtue. How Marcus Aurelius Defines True Strength.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's actually a pretty good title. What happened next?
Speaker 1: So then the user asked the chatbot to like write an entire essay based on one of the titles Stoic Wisdom life Lessons from Marcus Aurelius's meditations. Interesting, and let me tell you this chatbot delivered. It dove into the core of Stoicism and how it can be applied to today's world.
Speaker 2: You know, all right, you've piqued my curiosity. So where do we even begin with this Stoic wisdoms? Okay?
Speaker 1: So picture this. It's a one seventy a d. Marcus Aurelius is leading the Roman Empire, right, He's dealing with barbarian invasions, devastating play. Yeah, it's gonna say that sounds a little stressful, right, maybe even a rebellious teenager, you know, relatable stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd say those are a few stressors.
Speaker 1: And in the middle of all that chaos, he's writing the notes to himself, not about how to be a better emperor or anything, but about how to be a better person.
Speaker 2: Wow, even emperors had self help books. Uh so what was Aurelius' secret?
Speaker 1: Well, one major takeaway from meditations is this whole idea of control. The chatbot essay sums it up really nicely, the art of.
Speaker 2: Calm, The art of calm, I like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right? So basically, Marcus Aurelius realized that a lot of our stress comes from well, trying to control things we simply can't like like other people, the past, the future, all that stuff.
Speaker 2: That's so true.
Speaker 1: What he could control, though, were a own thoughts and reactions.
Speaker 2: That's so true. I think when I think about the times that I feel the most stressed, it's usually when I'm trying to control the uncontrollable, you know. But how do we actually put that into practice?
Speaker 1: And that's where it's really interesting. The chatbot actually gives a great example. Like, imagine you've got a big presentation at work, right, Yeah, So instead of stressing about whether your boss will like it, or if your colleagues will be impressed, all that stuff that's totally out of your control, you focus on what you can.
Speaker 2: Control like your preparation and the clarity of your ideas, like your delivery, bringing your a game.
Speaker 1: Exactly. It's all about like taking ownership of the situation. And as the chappop pointed out, this is where mindfulness comes in, which from Marcus aurelia Is wasn't just about meditating, but like a.
Speaker 2: Way of life mindfulness. Now, how does that fit into stoicism.
Speaker 1: So aureli Is believed that mindfulness, you know, like being present and aware of your thoughts without judgment, is the key to living a virtuous life. You see. He saw awareness of our thoughts as like the crucial first step to choosing how we react. It's about recognizing those negative thought patterns we all have and choosing not to let them control us, you know.
Speaker 2: So it's about being mindful not just of what's happening externally, but also about what's going on in our.
Speaker 1: Own heads exactly. And that mindfulness then gives us the ability to exercise that stoic control we're talking about. Think about it. If we're not even aware of our thoughts, we can't choose to shift them in a more positive direction.
Speaker 2: It's amazing how relevant these ideas are. I mean, it was thousands of years ago, but still, I mean, sure, we have smartphones and the internet all that, but deep down, don't you think we're still wrestling with the same questions about how to be happy, how to find peace of mind, purpose in life.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, we might have different distractions now, but the human experience is still fundamentally the same. And in a way, Marcus Aurelius was trying to answer those same questions just in a toga.
Speaker 2: So we've got mindfulness as a way to deal with our thoughts and reactions. But what about all the other stuff, the things we really can't control. How does stoicism approach those? Well, that's where acceptance comes in, you see. Marcus Aurelius, he believed that a lot of our suffering comes from like fighting against reality, fighting against what already is.
Speaker 1: Like when you order an iced coffee but they accidentally give you a hot coffee. You can get upset and demand they fix it, or you can just be like, Okay, I guess I'm having a hot coffee today.
Speaker 2: Exactly. We can like rage against the coffee machine of life, you know, or we can accept what is and move forward.
Speaker 1: I like that raging against the coffee machine of life. I'm using that, But seriously, how does this whole radical acceptance thing actually work? Like, how do we just accept the things we don't like?
Speaker 2: Well, the chatbot essay actually highlighted this quote from Meditations that I thought was really powerful.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's hear it.
Speaker 2: Aurelius writes, the mind adapts and converts to its own purposes. The obstacle to our acting the impediment to action, advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.
Speaker 1: Okay, unpack that one for me. What does that even mean?
Speaker 2: It means basically, we have a choice. We can view obstacles as like these insurmountable roadblocks right right, or we can find a way to adapt, to shift our perspective to turn those obstacles into opportunities for growth.
Speaker 1: It's like that saying, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Speaker 2: Right, But Aurelius is taking it a step further. I think he's saying, when life gives you lemons, use them to build something amazing.
Speaker 1: Okay, I can get behind that. So instead of getting stuck in the yme phase, it's more about Okay, this is happening.
Speaker 2: Now, what exactly and that shift in perspective can make all the difference. Two people can face the exact same obstacle, but their reactions will be totally different based on their mindset.
Speaker 1: It's like that old saying, it's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters, exactly. So we've got mindfulness for controlling our reactions to the things we can control, and acceptance for the things we can't. What other Stoic gems did Marcus Aurelius leave for us?
Speaker 2: Well, he also talked a lot about virtue.
Speaker 1: Virtue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he believed that virtue was the key to living a good life, a life of like meaning, purpose, even happiness.
Speaker 1: So like virtue in the sense of being a good.
Speaker 2: Person exactly, But for the Stoics it went beyond just like being nice. They believe that true strength came from aligning your actions with wisdom, justice, courage, and temperance.
Speaker 1: Those are some pretty hefty virtues. What did he mean by that?
Speaker 2: Well, take wisdom, for example, a really assaul wisdom as this ability to see things clearly, to see them for what they truly are, not how we wish they were. Right and in our modern world with so much information overload that's more important than ever.
Speaker 1: It's like we're constantly bombarded with all these different perspectives, all these truths. It's so easy to just blindly accept what we see online without like even questioning.
Speaker 2: It right, And really this would probably encourage us to engage in what the Chatbock called active wisdom.
Speaker 1: Active wisdom I.
Speaker 2: Like it, Yeah, to be critical thinkers, to seek out diverse perspectives to like form our own informed opinions.
Speaker 1: So wisdom in the age of social media. Check what about the other stoic virtues justice, courage, and temperance. What do those look like today? So how do these other virtues like justice, courage, temperance, How do those fit into our modern lives? Those seem like big kind of old fashioned ideas.
Speaker 2: You know, well, they might sound old fashioned, but they're actually like incredibly relevant to the challenges we face today even now. Take justice for example, Okay, Marcus Aurelius, he really believed in acting fairly and ethically even when it's hard, yea. And in today's world, where it's so easy to get caught up in our own little bubbles, that sense of justice, of like standing up for what's right even when it's unpopular. I think that's incredibly important.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like choosing to speak out against injustice, even if it means like going against.
Speaker 2: The crowd exactly. Or think about courage. Okay, In ancient Rome, courage might have meant like facing down a line in the colisseum, right, but today courage it might mean speaking your truth in a meeting, or like setting healthy boundaries in your relationships, or even just you know, facing your fears head on.
Speaker 1: It's about that inner strength to do what you think is right, even when it's like uncomfortable or challenging.
Speaker 2: Right exactly. And then there's temperance, which the stoics all as like the art of moderation, of finding balance in all areas of life, which in our you know, always on constantly connected world, that virtue can be tough to practice.
Speaker 1: Especially with social media right constantly tempting us with the comparisons and instant gratification and.
Speaker 2: All that exactly. Yeah, but really, as would remind us that true contentment it doesn't come from chasing like fleeting pleasures or external validation. It comes from finding joy in the simple things, from cultivating inner peace, and from like living in alignment with our values.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is all starting to make sense now, but I have to admit it can feel a little overwhelming, Like how do we actually like live this way? How do we incorporate all of this stoic wisdom into our daily lives? Well?
Speaker 2: Remember, for Marcus Aurelius, stoicism wasn't about achieving like some kind of perfect state. He saw it as a practice, you know, a lifelong journey of self improvement.
Speaker 1: So it's less about being a perfect stoic and more about just like taking it one step at.
Speaker 2: A time, precisely, it's about those small, consistent efforts to like align your actions with these principles day after.
Speaker 1: Okay, so like baby steps, where do we even begin? What are some practical things we can do to bring more stoicism into our lives?
Speaker 2: Well, the chatbot has say, had a great suggestion journaling.
Speaker 1: Journaling huh sounds so simple?
Speaker 2: It is simple, but incredibly powerful. Remember Meditations itself, that was essentially Marcus Aurelis's personal journal. You know, it was his space to reflect, to like grapple with challenges, to work through those difficult emotions. And we can do the same.
Speaker 1: So it's like our own personal meditations a place to get real with ourselves and see where we can do better. But like, what do we actually write about?
Speaker 2: Well, you can start with a quote from meditations that like resonated with you and then just reflect on how it applies to your own life. Or ask yourself, where did I act according to my values today? Where did I fall short? What am I grateful for?
Speaker 1: I love that it's like creating that pause in our day to like check in with ourselves and be more intentional about our.
Speaker 2: Choices exactly, And don't put pressure on yourself to write like pages and pages. Even just five minutes of reflection each day, I think can make a huge difference journaling.
Speaker 1: Check what other practical tips did you come across in your research?
Speaker 2: Well, remember that stoic principle of control. Yeah, one of the most like effective ways to put that into practice is to focus on your sphere of influence. Okay, ask yourself, what can I actually impact in this situation.
Speaker 1: It's like when you're stuck in traffic, right, Like you can't magically teleport yourself out of the car, but you can choose how you react to the situation exactly.
Speaker 2: You could get like angry and frustrated, or you could use that time to listen to a podcast, or like practice some mindfulness techniques, or even just enjoy the forced break from your busy day.
Speaker 1: It's about like finding those little pockets of control throughout our day and like making conscious choices about how we respond even to like the little annoyances.
Speaker 2: You got it. It's about like training ourselves to find those opportunities for growth, for practicing those stoic principles in the midst of everyday life.
Speaker 1: You know, one thing that really struck me about stoicism is that it's not about like becoming some kind of emotionless robot.
Speaker 2: That's such a common misconception. Stoicism acknowledges the full spectrum of human emotion. You know. It's not about suppressing your feelings. It's about choosing how you respond to them.
Speaker 1: So instead of letting our emotions like completely control us, we can learn to experience them fully without letting them like dictate our actions.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's about finding that balance between like feeling deeply and acting wisely.
Speaker 1: This has been such a great conversation. I always learn so much from you. So as we wrap up here, what's the one thing you hope our listeners take away from our deep dive into Marcus Aurelius and stoicism.
Speaker 2: You know, I think it really just boils down to this. Even though Marcus Aurelius lived, you know, ESSENTIALI as ago the wisdom he shared in meditations, it's incredibly relevant to our modern lives. Whether it's you know, dealing with anxiety, or navigating difficult relationships, or just simply trying to find more peace and purpose in life. Stoicism offers a framework for living with more intention, more resilience, and even more joy.
Speaker 1: It's like he's saying, Hey, I know life is tough, it's fully challenges, but you've got this. You have the inner strength to face whatever comes your way.
Speaker 2: And the best part is this inner strength, this stoic mindset, it's available to all of us. It's not about being perfect. It's about, you know, showing up each day and striving to be the best version of ourselves.
Speaker 1: And on that note, we'll leave you with this powerful reminder from Marcus Aurelius himself. The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts. Thanks for joining us for this deep dive, and we'll see you next time