Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty Wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Copy Thanksgiving KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: Good grief.
Speaker 4: It's five o'clock.
Speaker 3: We're supposed to be a grandmother's house for Thanksgiving. I better talk to her and explain my dilemma. Hello, Grandma, this is Chuck, I mean Charlie Brown. We're gonna be a little late. What you mean it?
Speaker 5: Hey, great news.
Speaker 3: We're all invited to Charlie Brown's grandmother's for Thanksgiving dinner.
Speaker 6: It's time for your morning up call.
Speaker 1: It's I Jumped the good Jump the gun. It's five oh one. This is your wake up call for Thursday, November twenty eighth. I'm Amy King. Happy Thanksgiving. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Don't you love the Peanuts? Charlie Brown Thanksgiving? Absolutely love it? And do you know it's not on Network TV this year? But Rich Demiro says you can watch it on Apple TV Plus and if you don't have a subscription, you can get like a free trial period if you really just want to watch You're Charlie Brown Thanksgiving We've got lots of head for you today. We're going to get you up to date on everything that happened while you were sleeping, and then we're also going to have some fun. So hope you're getting up and getting the turkey in the oven and getting the stuffing prepared. Here's what's ahead on wake up Call. California Congresswoman Michelle Steele has conceded her forty fifth district seat to Democratic challenger Derek Tran. Steele is behind Tran by five hundred and ninety six votes at last count but that margin has been steadily increasing. The forty fifth district includes parts of northern Orange County and southern La County. LA Mayor Bass and Metropolitan Transportation Authority board members have sent a letter to President elect Trump asking him for three point two billion dollars to fund transportation product projects for the twenty twenty eight Summer Olympic Games in LA. Previous requests to the Biden administration have been denied. Governor Newsom has pardoned more than two dozen people on the day before Thanksgiving. The list included Lachelle Florne Sikes from San Diego County, who was convicted of drug possession back in nineteen eighty eight when she was nineteen. The governor has given her an unconditional pardon. Okay, if you just can't do it, you can't make that Thanksgiving dinner. Our friends at Tallyrand have got your back. In fact, we're having tally Rand here at the station today. We're going to check in with tlly Rand's Karen Ross in just a little bit, find out what's cook in there for Thanksgiving. Some very special guests on Wakeup Call, including our friend Colonel Nick Haig and his journey to get to the International Space Station. Loved talking to him. And I told you yesterday that I found a recipe on the internet. Actually I found it on Instagram and it's from like forty fifty years ago. It's some sort of a Cranberry miracle whip Jello surprise. I made it. We're going to try it, well, Kono's going to try it. That's coming up on wake up Call. And if you want to get a look at what it looks like, it's already up on Instagram. You can go to my Instagram at Amy k King, or you can also check it out on the KFI Instagram at Kfi am six at six oh five is Handle on the news, but Handle, of course not here today, so we get Neil Savedra, our fork reporter. He's going to do his best to help you get through your Thanksgiving holiday, and if you have any questions, he's got answers. Let's get started with some of the story's coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. People in New York are getting ready for the ninety eighth annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.
Speaker 5: We have incredible new balloons.
Speaker 7: We have Mini Mouse who's going to kick off the roots on the loon front and including a new Spider Man.
Speaker 5: We have great new floats pasta night from REO's.
Speaker 1: Macy's Parade spokesperson Orlando Veras says the giant character balloons are flying this morning despite the rain and windy conditions. Part of the Bluey character balloon popped during inflation yesterday, but it's been repaired and is ready to go. Mayor Adams says there's tight security in place for the parade and the NYPD will not tolerate any potential protesters trying to disrupt it. La County has approved a new task force to monitor federal immigration enforcement.
Speaker 8: The vote was motivated by President elect Trump's policy proposal to create the largest mass deportation effort in American history. Supervisor Hilda Sali says it could be detrimental to this area.
Speaker 9: Immigrants, as we all know, are the backbone of La County.
Speaker 1: On every core you see the contributions of immigrants from around the world.
Speaker 8: The county also reaffirmed its prohibition of working with federal immigration enforcement unless a warrant requires it.
Speaker 5: Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Three people in northern California who recently graduated from Piedmont High School have been killed in a fiery crash involving a Tesla's cyber truck.
Speaker 6: It's safe to say that speed.
Speaker 5: Was a factor.
Speaker 1: Piedmont Police Chief Jeremy Bowers's four people were in the truck early yesterday morning when it crashed into a tree and burst into flames. He says nine to one one was alerted by an iPhone inside the vehicle.
Speaker 6: Officers arrived on scene to find a single vehicle collision fully engulfed in flames. Responding officers also observed an uninvolved party pulling one of the occupants from.
Speaker 1: The vehicle that person is in critical condition. The chief says. Officers grabbed their fire extinguishers, but the flames were just too intense. Firefighters arrived and put out the fire five seven on your Thanksgiving morning wake up call, Happy Thanksgiving. So you may remember that Neil Savader and I went over the edge for the Union Rescue Mission to raise money to fight homelessness in LA And the Union Rescue Mission just doesn't throw money at the problem. They actually bring people in and help them heal, get them back into housing, back into society. And we got a chance to talk to one of these people who went through their program, Jody Cobb, and I thought that this Thanksgiving was a great time to share her story because she's got a lot to be thankful for thanks to the Union Rescue Mission. Good morning, Jody, Oh are you doing great? Thanks so much for getting up early with us this morning. So, Jody, what we wanted to do was we wanted to share your story because you're one of the people who Union Rescue Mission helped so and I know it's hard to break down and cut your whole life down into just a couple of minutes, but please tell us, first of all, how you became homeless, what led to it, and then we'll talk about the success story part.
Speaker 10: You know, I was I was in Los Angeles and I was working at the LAX and due to a domestic violence situation, I ended up at the u r M. Devastated, didn't know what to do, and that's where, you know, God led me was to the u r M and I just went there and received the help that they were there to offer me. As COVID came, it took away my job and I uh started volunteering at the u r M, which led me to become apprentice there and I even did their Damascus Recovery program from the years of drug abuse and alcoholism. I did everything for a program that I was supposed to do to get healed from the drugs and alcohol, but I never really took the time to get my inside healed, which was my heart. So I let their Damascus Recovery program do that for me. With the people there and the support that they have, they healed. They helped me get healed from the trauma and abuse that I was through and then it eventually actually got me to a position now where I work at the u RM as a staff member.
Speaker 1: I love that and Jody, you had a pretty long road down. Like you mentioned abuse and you mentioned drugs, and like I said, it's so hard to reduce your experience down to just a couple of minutes. But this was something that was took years. Like you were you mentioned, I watched a beautiful video and heartbreaking video that you did about you know that you had abuse in your married life, You had abuse when you were younger, and that led to drugs and doing drugs in front of your children, and you just had to have hit this low point. What was what was the spark? Was there a moment that you said enough I want him?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Yes, that was actually was going on almost twelve years ago. I'll never forget the day. It was June to twenty ninth, two thoy and thirteen. I hit the rock bottom. And what did it for me is continuous. I came from South Carolina, so from that state, they have a really strict policy when you're in drugs and alcohol, they put you in treatment centers, whether it's court ordered, doctor ordered. For me, it was jail too. I was starting to see a lot of jail time. My jail time was going up from three days, six days, nine days, twelve days, and I just I just couldn't survive in jail. That wasn't something that I knew I was supposed to be doing, is going to jail, living my life in jail. And one day I just couldn't do it anymore. I heard the Lord talk to me and say, you know what you need to f and this is where I'm going to lead you. All you got to do is the answer to call. And I did that, and I got on a train and I went to New York and eventually New York it led me to California to where I was starting to get my help. And it was it was basically jail that did it for me. I just couldn't live like that no more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so the Union Rescue Mission helped you. Not like you said, you not only heal your body, but also heal your heart. And how do you feel now?
Speaker 10: I feel amazing? And I actually call you r M. They're actually my family. They're they're they're the family that I've never had. They're just awesome in support. I see people now coming in. I'm actually the person that gets to give back, you know. And and that's the blessing that I get to reap out of this is one Once upon a time that was me and now I'm on the other side and giving back to the people that are coming in actually a program. I'm assistant at the URM with the Damascus Recovery Ladies, so I do the intakes, whether they're coming in from drugs, alcohol, mental, homelessness, broken. I get to be that frontliner now on that part and getting to help the ladies come into the shelter and make sure that they understand that when you enter in the doors at the URM, not nobody's brought there by a mistake or an accident. Everybody has a purpose. And if they just come in and just let us love on them and give them the support that they need, there's a success story. And everyone that comes there and so grateful for the donors and what they do and feed into this because if they didn't, we couldn't do what we do. We don't run on grants, we run on donations only, So that's the beauty of that. Because we're a sober, free living shelter, we're indifferent than all the other places when they come in if they have addiction problems. We don't turn anybody away. We're there to help and accept each and every one of them as they come through the door.
Speaker 1: Well, Jody, thank you so much for sharing your story because I think it helps personalize how people can actually help the Union Rescue Mission so we can help people like Jody get their lives back on track. And then, as Jody said, pay it forward, which is the most beautiful thing. Jody Cobb, thank you so much for coming on this morning. We appreciate it. If you'd like to help people like Jody get a new shot at a good life. Union Rescue Mission is actually helping homeless people. As we were talking about. They get no federal funding because they don't allow drugs or alcohol in their shelters or traditional house or transitional housing programs. And if you want to help, we have an address for you. You arem dot org. And any gift you give now between now and New Year's Eve is going to be doubled because they have a matching grant. Awesome. And then I was just looking on their website. They've got a twelve Days of Christmas online auction to celebrate Giving Tuesday. So there's this a sailing and wine Tasting it venture. There's an African Safari for four. There's Lakers tickets, there's an auction item where you can attend a taping of Wheel of Fortune. All kinds of good stuff. Again, it's RM dot Org. Very thankful for the Union rescue mission. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. An older man, believed to be a member of the wealthy Rothschild banking family has been killed in a fire in a two story house in the Hollywood Hills. LA Fire says the fire broke out yesterday afternoon around four thirty on Lookout Mountain Avenue. It took about forty five minutes to get the fire out. The person died at the scene. The cause of the fires being investigated. News brought to you by one eight hundred. Got junk rap mogul. Sean Combs is staying in jail in New York. Andrea ABC's Andrea FUJII says a judge has again denied bail for Combs.
Speaker 11: The judge saying it's too risky to release Combs, citing, among other things, video obtained by CNN showing him attacking his then girlfriend, Cassie Ventura in a Hotel Hallway. The defense claims the video was doctor.
Speaker 1: The judge ruled even the version submitted by Comb's team shows undeniable violence. Combs is facing charges of racketeering, sex trafficking, and prostitution. California's Attorney General has issued warnings for shoppers, retailers, and criminals.
Speaker 12: Gift cards are easy to buy, but they're also easy prey for thieves. It's called gift card draining. This happens when a crook has already opened that gift card at the store, recorded the pin numbers. You buy that card, the money's loaded, and the thief takes it in an instant only. Buy and pass on gift cards that are sealed and keep the receipts. Then on your receipts, watch for hidden fees. In California, all mandatory charges must be included in listed prices, and the age also wants you to watch for gender based pricing. It's against the law report any price differences for similar products based on gender.
Speaker 1: I'm Lucindy Kay. Amazon employees in the US in more than twenty countries planned to protest or go on strike from Black Friday through Cyber Monday. Organizers are calling it make Amazon pay. They say they want to hold the retail giant accountable for labor abuses, environmental degradation, and threats to democracy. Police are asking for your help in finding a hit and run driver who killed a pedestrian near Koreatown. The LAPED says the person killed was in a crosswalk on Western Avenue early yesterday morning when they were hit by a light gray or blue older model Acura MDX. Police say the suv likely has damage on the front passenger side. Thousands of people in Lebanon who had to leave their homes as Israel pounded Hesboala targets are returning as a ceasefire takes hold. While the fighting has stopped in Lebanon, the war rages on in Gaza, where Israeli strikes overnight on two schools that were turned into shelters killed eleven people, including four children at six Zho five. Neil Sevadra is in for his annual Turkey talk. So if you've got questions about your Thanksgiving, Meil Neil our fok reporter, going to help you get through it. Okay. So, one of the things that I'm so thankful for has been the opportunity to talk with and share with you our conversation with Space Force guardian and NASA astronaut Colonel Nick Haig, which culminated with us talking to Colonel Haig live on the International Space Station. So we wanted to share with you some of our talks with Colonel Haig as he prepared for the mission. This is the first time we got to talk to Colonel Nick Haig. Good morning, Colonel Haig.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Amy, how are you.
Speaker 1: I am wonderful, Thanks so much for getting up. We are so excited to talk to you because well, one, I don't think I've ever talked to an astronaut, So this is a super big treat.
Speaker 4: We'll launch for roughly a six month mission to the International Space Station. That's what pretty much every crew does. And we've been cycling crews through the International Space Station and there's been someone working and living off the planet for over two decades now, oh.
Speaker 1: Because you have to keep somebody on board. And that's been going on for more than twenty years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, more than twenty years, and we're continuing on till twenty thirty. And so it's a long track record of you know, a pretty exciting successful scientific discovery and collaboration and cooperation off the planet. It's a great, great story and.
Speaker 1: After that to infinity and beyond. Okay, so, Colonel Hag, you are going to be the first Space Force guardian heading to the Space station. And when we were discussing this, I was like, what is a Space Force guardian? It's a term I've never heard before.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So Space Force is just like one of the other services Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines. Now there's the Space Force.
Speaker 1: And it started about five years ago, right yeap.
Speaker 4: So this year we're coming up on our fifth birthday. And so guardians are what you call service members in the Space Force, just like airmen or soldiers or sailors. And there's you know, a little fewer than ten thousand Guardians that are serving in the Space Force in uniform, and so it you know, there's not a lot of us, but we're really effective and and some of the things that we do underpin everything that you know, we kind of rely on. So everybody's listening to this. They're driving to work, they're using they're using you know, Ways or Google or Apple Maps, and they're they're trying to dodge traffic. Well, the Global Positioning System GPS is what makes that possible in Space Force guardians or what make GPS possible?
Speaker 1: Okay, and so what my understanding of Space Force is that one of the missions of Space Force is to ensure safe access to space.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, so Space Force. You know, I'm a guardian launching to space. You know, I'm a NASA astronaut, so my job is with NASA, and so I'm in support of that. But there are going to be guardians that are working on the launch range on the East Coast that are going to help me get to the space station safely. They're going to watch make sure that, you know, there if there's any debris out there, that we don't run into that debris, so we do deconfliction. They also track us as we go to make sure that we're safe and in the event that something doesn't go right, they're there to help make sure that we get home safe.
Speaker 1: Okay. Now, so just the nuts and bolts of it. You are with Space Force? Now, were you Air Force before?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Because the Space Force just stood up, you know a little under five years ago. A lot of the people that transferred into the Space Force initially came from the Air Force doing those same missions. The creation of the Space Force allowed us to put focus and priority on those missions. So inside the Space Force, you know, I graduated from the Air Force Academy back in nineteen ninety eight and served in the Air Force the entire time, doing primarily space related activities, and so it was a natural transition for me to move over to the Space Force once it was established.
Speaker 1: So when they said, you know what, we're setting up a Space Force, and you're like, hey me, pick me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, it's an exciting time. There's there's so much energy in what's going on in space, and you don't just see it with the creation of the Space Force, but you also see it in civil space as well, in commercial space. You've got the Space Station activities, You've got Artemis and our missions that are taking us back to the surface of the Moon. You've got commercial entities that are getting involved more than ever before. So there's just a lot of energy. And so getting involved with the Space Force, transitioning over and being part of standing up a new service was a huge thrill.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is not your first time going to space either, is it, Colonel no.
Speaker 4: I was able to call the Space Station home just about five years ago. I was up there for a six month mission doing research and keeping the National Lab working.
Speaker 1: There is risk in becoming an assa astronaut. Colonel Haig found that out firsthand when they had to literally abort their mission after they launched. Colonel Haig's going to tell you about that. That's coming up in just a minute. Right now, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsrooms. Some neighborhoods in LA have had to scramble to keep their Christmas tree lighting events going.
Speaker 8: The defeat of city Councilman Kevin dale On in his re election bid earlier this month has led to a challenge in parts of his Northeast LA district. He says, because his city hall account won't be able to pay contractors after the end of this month, there's no way for him to pay for the tree lighting vendors. That's led communities like Lincoln Heights, Eagle Rock and Highland Park to turn to neighborhood groups. They're chambers of commerce and councilwomen elect Isabelle Herado to work on alternatives so the holiday spirit can live on.
Speaker 5: Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Orange County Congresswoman Katie Porter has been granted a temporary restraining order against an ex boyfriend who's allegedly been harassing her since they broke up. Porter says Julian Willis has been abusing substances and sent her more than a thousand text messages and emails since she kicked him out in August. Court records show the order against Willis was granted Tuesday, and another hearing is set for next month. Willis claims Porter filed for the restraining order to prevent him from suing her and seeking court protection from her. A man from Moreno Valley is facing charges after authorities say he tried to drive off with an ambulance Riverside County. Officials say the man called paramedics Monday, claiming he needed to be taken to the hospital, but when they got there, he pulled the driver out of the ambulance and drove off. He crashed a short time later, landing on a palm tree. No paramedics were hurt. The fourteenth annual KFI Pastathon is here and we are thankful for that. Jeff Brutos charity Katerina's Club provides more than twenty five thousand meals every week to kids in need in Southern California. That's one hundred thousand a month and one point two million meals in a year. Your generosity is what makes that happen. And here's how you can help. You can donate or bid on exclusive KFI auction items now ATFI am six forty dot com slash Postathon. You can shop at any Smart and Final store and donate any amount at checkout. You can go to any Wendy's restaurant in Southern California and donate, and if you donate five dollars or more, you get a coupon book that's worth fifteen dollars. So five dollars or more and you get more back. Isn't that great? You can also join us on Giving Tuesday, which is this coming Tuesday, December third. We're going to be at the Anaheim White House all day. We're broadcasting live from five am starting with Wakeup Call all the way through ten pm with Moe Kelly. Come see us, say hi, donate on site, and you can drop off your pasta and sauce donations at the Anaheim White House. We hope you'll come out and join us. One hundred percent of your donation goes to Caterina's Club. Thank you so much for your support. You can get more details make donations all that good stuff kfi am six forty dot com slash postathon. Border crossings are way down, but some bad guys are still trying to get into the US, including an MS thirteen gang member who was arrested crossing the border in Chula Vista. Border patrol agents say the thirty two year old man from El Salvador tried to cross shortly after three am last Friday. Twenty six gang members have been arrested in the San Diego sector over the last fiscal year. That's a sixty three percent increase from the year before. A Buffalo Wild Wings worker in Monterey Park has contracted hepatitis A. The La County Department of Public Houses there are no additional cases at this time, but it's working with Buffalo Wild Wings to make sure that all its employees at the Monterey Park restaurant are vaccinated. President elect Trump has chosen retired three star General Keith Kellogg to serve as a Special envoy for Ukraine and Russia. Kellogg has long been Trump's top advisor on defense issues, and he served as national security advisor to former Vice President Mike Pence. Russia was Russia's war with Ukraine enters its fourth year, starting in February at six oh five. As I mentioned, it's supposed to be a handling the news, but we've got our FOURK reporter Neil Sevader in today because the handle is off doing a little musical chairs. We got to talk to Space Force guardian and NASA astronaut Colonel Nick Haig as he prepared for his six month mission to the International Space Station, and Colonel Hag told us that he's been there before, but on his first try at getting to the International Space Station, he almost didn't make it. As we watch these liftoffs that have become more and more, I guess you would say commonplace, but there is definitely risk. A lot of things can go wrong. And was it on your first attempt you almost didn't make it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is a inherently risky business when you're strapping yourself to gigantic tanks of rocket fuel and lighting it off and sending yourself up, and you know, sometimes things don't go right. But we put in lots of layers of safety to try to mitigate that risk. So on my first launch, I was launching on a Soyuz rocket Kazakhstan out of the bikan Or Cosmodrome, and two minutes into that launch are we had a malfunction with one of the boosters that was supposed to separate. It actually collided back into the rocket and caused it to disintegrate. And so we're going. We pointed straight up, going five thousand miles an hour, about thirty miles above the above the Earth, and the launch escape system fired off within a fraction of a second and pulled us away from the rocket before it before it was too late. And then we landed underneath parachutes, and so my Russian commander alexey of Chennen and myself landed in the middle of the Kazak step and some pair of rescue jumpers came down and helped us get out of the capsule and we waited for the rest of the team to arrive. So it was a successful failure, and that the engineers had designed the system to protect us in case something went wrong and it worked.
Speaker 1: And then after that happened, you said, I'd like to go again.
Speaker 4: It's the job. Okay, all right, So when you work that long and and you're ready to go. You know, the first thing that my wife when she met back up with me after that accident, she said, you know, don't worry, you're going to get You're going to get to go. It's just a it's a commitment by a lot of people, Yeah, to get you ready, to support you along the way, and to finally get there and be part of such an amazing mission on the space station is worth it.
Speaker 1: So, Colonel Hag before you go, you're you're talking about there's a lot of preparations. I mean, you can't just jump on a rocket and say I'd like to go and head out into orbit. So, like, how long does it take to prepare for a mission like this?
Speaker 4: Specifically, once you're selected as an astronaut, it's it's two years of initial training, and then once you're assigned to a mission, it's about another two years of focused training. So it's about four years solid of traveling around the globe to different countries, learning their systems, working with the spacecraft that's going to take you, learning how to fly that, and then also learning how to operate the International Space Station. So it's really complex, but if you like learning stuff, you're learning something new almost every day, and it's a pretty thrilling job and it's.
Speaker 1: Got to be fun for someone who loves what they're doing.
Speaker 4: Right, Absolutely, it's being able to float around in waitlessness and then float over to the window and look down on the earth and just see it for the amazing thing that it is. Is life changing.
Speaker 1: So cool, as you know, if you listen to wake Up Call. We've been so lucky to get to talk with Colonel Haigs several times. All of those interviews that was just the first one are on the CAFI website cafiam six forty dot com slash wake up Call, or you can go to the feature page which is CAFI am six forty do comslash Space, but just go to the wake Up Call page and you'll find it. And we also have the Zoom interview when I got to talk with Colonel Hag live on the International Space Station. I've been in radio a long time. That was probably one of the coolest things I've ever gotten to do, and Colonel Haig is such a pro. You can also see parts of the interview on my Instagram at Amy K. King would love for you to take a look, and I'd be very thankful this Thanksgiving if you followed me at amy K King. We also have my jello concoction that Cono and I are going to be tasting in a few minutes. It's also up on Instagram at amy K King. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Health officials in La County have released an expanded list of places in the county that sold a raw milk product that's under voluntary recall because of bird flu. The virus was found in a retail sample. The cream Top Whole raw milk was sold at Bristol Farm Airwon Market, Lassen's Natural Foods, Mother's Marketing Kitchen, and a bunch of Sprout stores. No related illnesses have been reported in the county. Economists in California have warned the state's businesses could suffer if President elect Trump imposes tariffs on products from Mexico. If Trump places a twenty five percent tariff on products, Mexican President Claudia Shinebaum says Mexico might fire back with its own tariffs. University of San Diego Economics Professor Alan Jin says Mexico is California's largest trading partner, and the threats from Trump and shine Bomb could launch a trade war and that would hurt people on both sides of the border. People who don't have enough of a regular seat sleep pattern are at higher risk for a heart attack or stroke.
Speaker 2: A new study shows people who wake up at different times of the day have a twenty six percent chance of increased risk of a heart related health issue. The research in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health found the increased risk is still there even if those same people get their recommended hours of sleep every night. Researchers hypo the size that irregular sleep patterns might disrupt the way the body manages blood, sugar, cholesterol, and other things. Mark Ronner KFI News, I'm in trouble.
Speaker 1: Getting called into work has paid off big for a Walmart worker in the City of Industry. Rebecca Gonzalez says she was looking forward to having labor Day off a couple months ago, but her boss called her into work at the last minute. She says she reluctantly agreed, and then says her short three hour shift was really busy and because of that she forgot to buy a lottery ticket during her break, so instead she bought her ten dollars single double triple scratcher ticket with an odd with odds of winning one and over two million from a vending machine as she was walking out after her shift. Well, she was the one in over two million. She won a one million dollar grand prize. Gonzalez says she's paid off her debt, she's buying a new home with her winnings, and she's still working at Walmart. And Rebecca says that the only person she had told about her windfall until like right now is the boss who called her into work that day. Love that story, so maybe it could learn it could be lucky for us since we're working, and if you're working, maybe get a lottery scratch off. Never know.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 1: One of the most classic episodes of TV ever, in my humble opinion, is less nessmund with the award winning w K Harp in Cincinnati news department reporting on the station's turkey drop for Thanksgiving. It's so classic we have to share it with you now.
Speaker 14: No, somebody just came out of the back of the helicopter. It's a dark object. Her name's a skydiver, let me to you to the earth from only two thousand feet of the air. Second the third, yet happy sky divers. I can't yet.
Speaker 15: Oh my God, give you get this.
Speaker 16: They're crunching to the air.
Speaker 14: The wind's running.
Speaker 16: Around, pushing each other.
Speaker 1: The huge us.
Speaker 14: Are running the bobs on the turkeys are hitting the ground like sets of what samans.
Speaker 1: It's like, I don't know how much logo there.
Speaker 14: The trot is running for their lives.
Speaker 5: I think I'm going to step in site.
Speaker 14: I can't stay out here and watch the city office, you know. I can't go in there for their mothers, and that hasn't been anything like that. I don't know how much longer I can hold my position here. Johnny the cub.
Speaker 1: Last, Last are you there?
Speaker 13: Last isn't there? Thanks for that on the spot report. Last just tuned in. The Pinedale shopping mall has just been bombed with.
Speaker 1: Film at eleven As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly classic.
Speaker 5: You know what.
Speaker 1: It's one of the things I love about streaming now is that you can go and find those old shows. I think I might have to watch w KERP and Cincinnati this afternoon. I can't remember which network it's on, but I know it's there because I've been scrolling around and I've seen it led by LAPD, not LAPD by NYPD motorcycle Police. The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade has stepped off this morning in New York City. It is raining, but that's not keeping the twenty two enormous balloons, including Mini Mouse and a brand new Spider Man, from flying. And I just saw a minion heading down the street. There are more than six hundred cheerleaders, seven hundred clowns, thirty four floats, eleven marching bands, and a whole lot more the ninety eighth annual parade. A woman in Long Beach has been hitten killed by a Long Beach Transit Boss officials says she was struck by the bus on Shoreline Drive near Seventh Street on Tuesday night. The driver says the woman was walking in the roadway when she got hit. Several of President elects Trump's cabinet nominees and other appointees have been getting bomb threats. Trump's spokesperson Caroline Levitt says the threats ranged from bomb threats to swatting borders. Our nominee Tom Holman says he's got a job to do and the threats are not going to stop him. We're just minutes away from Neil Sevadra. He's in for his annual Turkey talk. So if you've got questions about your Thanksgiving meal, Neil's got answers for you. That's coming up right after six o'clock. Now, if you just can't bring yourself to cook this Thanksgiving, maybe you're not feeling well, or you're just tired and you just really need a day off, we can help. Well, here we are at Thanksgiving and you've decided that you don't feel well, you just don't want to cook. It's not happening today, but you can still have a full on Thanksgiving thanks to our friends at Tallyram. Know that at KFI we get tally Ran for all the working staff every year and it's a highlight and a special treat. So with us we have one of the owners of tally Ran, it's Karen Ross. Good morning, Karen, Good morning Amy, and happy Thanksgiving.
Speaker 16: Happy Thanksgiving to you.
Speaker 1: Tell me how busy are you guys going to be on Thanksgiving Day?
Speaker 15: Well, we hope to be very busy. We've got reservations for three hundred plus people. We're ready to do about, you know, eight hundred dinners to go. We're prepared, We've got a good crew ready to work for it.
Speaker 1: Okay, And how much food? Like pound wise, give us some of the numbers of how much you're going to serve on this Thanksgiving.
Speaker 15: So my brother Mark is the orchestrator of all foodally Rand, and we're doing about three thousand pounds of turkey. We're doing about nine hundred pounds of potatoes that we are peeling here cooling. We have about two hundred gallons of gravy made from scratch. Stuff being made from scratch. So it's just a it is a labor of love, one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: And what are you hours on Thanksgiving Day?
Speaker 16: Ten thirty am to seven thirty pm.
Speaker 1: And if you don't have a reservation, you don't want to even you don't want to deal with having food at your house at all. You want to come down and just have a nice meal. Do you take walk ups?
Speaker 16: We certainly take walk ups.
Speaker 15: Come on in any time between ten thirty and seven thirty you can order to go hop in line, grab a seed here.
Speaker 16: We will accommodate all. Just bring your patience with.
Speaker 1: You, yeah, because there's going to be a line like we were talking about earlier for people coming in to order and take the turkey dinners home. They're going to start lining up early.
Speaker 16: Right last year, they were here at six thirty am.
Speaker 1: And the beauty of it is it's going to be a nice day. It's going to be you know, sixties and seventies, so it's not like we're going to be standing out in the cold and the rain and tell us what we get with our turkey dinner. We're gonna take a look right now.
Speaker 15: So the turkey dinner comes with obviously your turkey, white and white and dark meat, mixed stuffing, homemade mashed potatoes, gravy yms, and our fresh sour dough bread and pumpkin pie.
Speaker 1: And I can speak from experience, it's delicious. Any final Thanksgiving thoughts today, we're.
Speaker 15: Just worth thankful. We're thankful for the mcginnia burbank, for Cafi. We'll take care of it. If you're looking for a place to come, we got you. Just pack your patience, come on in and have a good time with.
Speaker 1: Us, all right, and enjoy that Thanksgiving Meil, thank you so much, Karen Rouss. We're going to be enjoying a tally rand Thanksgiving early. I went by and got one yesterday because it's just Kno and I and the rest of the staff is getting tali ran for Thanksgiving who are working today, but it doesn't get here until later. And if Neil Savadra behaves himself, will let him have some too. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A man in his eighties has been killed in a fire at a two story home in the Hollywood Hills. The fire on Lookout Mountain Avenue was reported after four point thirty yesterday afternoon. Next Door neighbor Jim morrisays he grabbed his own water hose and tried to put the fire out.
Speaker 6: The time I got to the top of the stairs, the windows blew out and that whole entire section of the structure was engulfed.
Speaker 1: It took firefighters about an hour and a half put the flames out. The man's body was found inside. Neighbors say he lived alone and was in declining health. Three men from Arizona have been charged with stealing more than three hundred thousand dollars worth of Nike Air Jordan eleven retro shoes from a train in the Mojave Desert and then taking them to Orange County. The BNSF Railway Company was notified Friday that a shipping container full of Nike merchandise had been unhooked from a train parked near Amboy. Nike had placed a GPS tracker on the shoes, which the CHP used to find them in a U haul truck in a parking lot in Anaheim. LA has reached out to President elect Trump to get some help with the Olympics.
Speaker 8: Mayor Bass and members of the Metro board have said in a letter to the President elect they'd like three point two billion dollars from the twenty twenty six federal budget. They say it's needed to help fund transportation projects before the Olympics arrive in twenty twenty eight. Bass and other local officials have called for a car free Olympics heavily reliant on public transportation. Similar overtures to the Biden Ministry have come up empty. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: President elect Trump's threats of mass deportation of illegal immigrants has caused concern among some farm workers in California. Joe del bosks as he hopes the proposed policy won't disrupt the workforce in central California.
Speaker 9: If we have labor shortages and we can't get our crops picked and then sent to market, it could definitely have an impact, you know, at the grocery produce shelves.
Speaker 1: Some estimates indicate about half of the state's one hundred and sixty two thousand farm workers are in the country illegally. A federal appeals court has stopped the federal government from destroying a razor wire fence that Texas installed along the US Mexico border near Eagle Pass. Governor Greg Abbott posted on x yesterday that the court ruled Texas has the right to build the razor wall to deny illegal entry into the state and that President Biden was wrong to cut it. Abbot says they continue adding more wire border barrier rap mogul Sean Combs has been denied bail for a third time. A judge in New York found Combs needs to stay in jail partly because of what the judge called Comb's propensity for violence. The music executive is facing charges of racketeering, sex trafficking and prostitution. He has denied all those charges. Lawmakers in Australia have approved a ban on social media for kids under sixteen. The legislation applies to x, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Snapchat, and Reddit, but not YouTube. The ban has been criticized by experts who say it could have unintended unintended negative consequences. What could be the unintended negative consequences of trying out a new recipe? Well, first, let's share what that recipe is that I found on Instagram.
Speaker 17: It isn't too early to be thinking about something spectacular for holiday eating, and cranberry crimson.
Speaker 1: Mold could be it.
Speaker 17: It's colorful, good and you can make it ahead of time. We start by dissolving two packages of strawberry flavored gelatine in a cup and a half of boiling water. And now we're adding the gelatine gradually to a cup of miracle whip salad dressing. That's where the creamy look and a teasing flavor come from. After the mixture has chilled till it's slightly thickened, fold in a tenance package of cranberry relish and a cup and a half of apple sauce. It's a marvelous combination of flavors and the lively teasing taste a miracle whip is perfect for it, just before serving unmolded. Then we're going to top it off with more miracle whip and water crests. With holiday time coming up and lots of sandwiches and salads to be made better, get a couple of jars of uncopyable miracle whip from Kraft.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I saw that and I was like, oh, a new dish. And then I was watching it going oh, heck no. But then I also thought I gotta try this because it sounds so disgusting, it might be good. So I did it. I made it, and now we're going to taste it. And if you want to see it again, it's on my Instagram. It actually ConA said it looked good.
Speaker 5: It does.
Speaker 1: It does okay, So but I will tell you. So we've taken it. I cut it. I got some for Cono, I got some for me. I got some for Niel R. FOURK reporter because you know he's the food guy. He's got to try it. And I will tell you you need to keep it refrigerated right up until serving time because it collapsed. It looked really good when it came out of the mold, but it collapsed. So okay, So it's again it's strawberry jello mixed in with miracle whip.
Speaker 5: You mean uncopyable.
Speaker 1: Uncopyable I know doesn't have a great voice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he sounds like the fifties.
Speaker 1: I think this was from the fifties.
Speaker 5: Late fifties, early sixties, is my guess.
Speaker 1: Okay. And then mixing in apple sauce and cranberry. It said cranberry something. It wasn't the relish cranberry relish, So I just got the cranberry sauce. Maybe maybe it's missing those chunky cranberries, but I like the smooth anyway. So and then it's just to top it at the end for a little extra zest, put some more miracle whip on the top.
Speaker 7: Basically, what we're saying is buy more miracle whip, the un comparable and uncopyable delicious miracle whip.
Speaker 5: All right, give it a taste, amy is it?
Speaker 1: Is it delicious? Here we go. Ohna didn't like it. It's weird, you know what.
Speaker 5: I think it's very tart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the cranberries.
Speaker 5: It's not it's not bad tasting, it's not horrible.
Speaker 1: It's just weird. And it's it's not like it doesn't it doesn't taste fresh and healthy.
Speaker 5: What what?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 7: What I would the first thing I'd take out is that incredible miracle whip.
Speaker 5: I would remove the miracle whip as not to vomit. There's a lot of flavors.
Speaker 7: There's a lot of I think the the you know, mayonnaise or even miracle whip is going to have you know, that egg and that unctuous kind of oily.
Speaker 5: But the flavor is.
Speaker 1: Good, yeah, and the miracle whip does give it that zesty, little tangy thing like the guy said a little bit.
Speaker 5: But I would m yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't know that this is going to make it to the Thanksgiving table.
Speaker 7: But you know what, I might, I might serve that differently, might serve that as like a.
Speaker 1: You could alter it. I want to know what you do, because you're good with that kind of stuff. I don't know, likek about it, and you can tell us.
Speaker 5: But when you get into like the apple sauce part and that mixture, that's quite nice.
Speaker 1: The apple sauce and the cranberry.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think that works together really really well. Which that gosh darn miracle whip.
Speaker 1: It's so smooth and delicious.
Speaker 5: It's like eating lard with a hair in it.
Speaker 1: Well, anyway, was it success. It was a success in the making and the unveiling, which you can see on Instagram. It did look pretty pretty good. Taste, maybe not, And Neil, I want to know what your concoction is, how you're going to fix it, because I think maybe it is fixable. And I now have a really cool jello mold because nobody had a jello mold, so I had to go buy one on Amazon and it's cute.
Speaker 7: I'd get some cheese Claus and I would sive out that miracle whip.
Speaker 1: Okay, and with that, we're done. That's your Thanksgiving wake up call. This is KFI and KOSTHD two Los Angeles, Orange County Southland. Weather from KFI morning low clouds and fog, vin sunny with highs around seventy at the beaches, low seventies for Metro LA and in Lanoce, upper sixties to mid seventies in the valleys and Inland Empire fifties and windy for the Annealope Valley, becoming cloudy tonight with lows in the forties, mostly cloudy tomorrow with highs in the sixties to mid seven. Needs a couple degrees warmer on Saturday than party, cloudy with heights in the sixties to upper seventies On Sunday. It's fifty four in Danta point, fifty seven in Long Beach, fifty five in Sherman Oaks, and fifty four in Claremont. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour Newsroom four technical producer kno and me Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up Call, we actually had some really cool stuff, including our one of our talks with Colonel Nick Haig, the recipe for our Lovely Jello Miracle Whip Cranberry Surprise, and also got to talk to somebody from the Union Rescue Mission. They're doing good work. So if you missed any of that, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app,