Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and kost HT two Los Angeles and Orange County.
Speaker 3: And aged Amy.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's five o'clock, straight up, good morning. This is your wake up call for Thursday, August fifteenth. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. We're halfway through August. It's the fifteenth. Do you know what that means? Four months and ten days until Christmas. Don't want to freak out or anything. Also very excited today Emily in Paris. The new season is out, except Netflix is doing what Netflix does. They released half of the season, so apparently the next half comes out in a little bit. They did the same thing with Cobra Kai. The first half of Cobra Kai is out. I binged it and I went, wait, this season's not over yet, and then I googled it and said, the second half of the season comes out later. Still excited. I feel a binge coming on with Emily in Paris. Such a cute show. Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call. The La City Council is voted unanimously to move forward with a plan to identify areas where r vs would be banned in a move to address the proliferation of people using them as housing across the city. The council also voted in favor of a motion that calls for a citywide program to prohibit RV parking in residential areas, commercial corridors, and other areas. Israel has sent a delegation to Qatar for ceasefire talks in the Israel Hamas war in Gaza. Hamas said it will speak to mediators after the talks if there are serious developments. The potential for an attack by Iran comes after the country vowed to avenge the deaths of Hesbolah and Hamas leaders. Drivers in California could soon be paying double for car insurance. The company Insurifies, predicting that insurance rates will soore fifty four percent before December. They blame damage from severe storms and wildfires. Maryland drivers are currently paying the most for full coverage car insurance, averaging thirty four hundred dollars a year. The Dodgers are in Milwaukee to take on the Brewers, but Mookie Betts is not staying with the team because he's a scaredy cat.
Speaker 4: You're going to love this.
Speaker 1: It's coming up before the bottom of the hour, and then right after the bottom of the hour, wake up call is going out and about to Long Beach for a little walking, a little learning, and some really great food.
Speaker 4: You're not going to want to miss that.
Speaker 1: At six oh five, it's handle on the news. Months after protesters took over the campus of Columbia University in New York, the president has called it quits. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom.
Speaker 3: R V.
Speaker 1: Homeless camps in Los Angeles could soon be banned from certain parts of the city.
Speaker 5: The city Council was voted to have city staff create a new policy if that would keep our vs away from residential areas, business districts, schools, libraries, and parks. Councilman Tracy Park shot down a suggestion that the council should slow down and study the issue instead.
Speaker 6: The last thing we need is another committee, another commission, or another task force over multiple years to tell us what we already know.
Speaker 4: Park says.
Speaker 5: With the Supreme Court ruling allowing homeless camps to be moved, LA needs to be ready for other cities, possibly sending their homeless here in downtown La.
Speaker 7: Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: An eight point five million dollar project to repair a one hundred foot long sinkhole that split a condo complex in Lahabra can finally start after five years.
Speaker 8: A greenbelt that should not have been built over a storm drain that cuts under Coyote Village complex collapsed under heavy rains in twenty nineteen, then grew even bigger during record rainfall last year.
Speaker 3: Year.
Speaker 8: State Senator Josh Newman says the state funding he secured for repairs has been stuck in litigation since twenty twenty two.
Speaker 9: The city was very wary of taking on a liability and the hallowners Association couldn't figure out why if the state had the money, what was taking so long, so lawyers got involved in At the end of the day, the lawyer's finally figured it out.
Speaker 8: He says. Repairs will start today in Lahabra, core beIN Carson, k if I News.
Speaker 1: Biden administration says it has reached an agreement with pharmaceutical companies to lower the prices of the ten most expensive medications covered under Medicare. The meds include heart and diabetes drugs. The prices are expected to drop starting in twenty twenty six. President Biden says the latest inflation rate is proof his policies are working. Inflation has fallen below three percent for the first time in three years. It dropped to two point nine percent for July. Biden was asked about it yesterday during a Creator Economy conference at the White House.
Speaker 3: I told you're going to have a soft landing. We're going to have a soft landing. My policies are work and start writing that way. Okay.
Speaker 1: The cost of used cars, trucks, medical care, and airfares were all down last month.
Speaker 4: I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: Every time I check airfares they seem sky high, but people keep telling us they're going down, So maybe I'm just going to the wrong places.
Speaker 4: NASA says a decision.
Speaker 1: Will be made by the end of the month on how and when the astronauts stuck in space will come home. Butch Wilmore and Sunita Williams have been on the International Space Station since June sixth. It was supposed to be a one week trip, but problems with the Boeing Starliner have delayed their returns. If the Starliner can't bring them home. SpaceX Rocket will have to go get them, but that wouldn't happen until February. Right now, let's say good morning to the editor in chief of Investopedia ABC's Caleb Silver.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Caleb, good to be with you.
Speaker 1: Year over year, inflation was up, but it was the lowest rise in three years.
Speaker 4: So my question is are we there yet.
Speaker 10: We're getting closer and closer to this two percent target, but I don't know if we'll ever get there because we see price increases over the last four to five years in the areas where it's just hard to see them ever coming down. Think about car insurance, think about food cost shelter costs. These are the big contributors to inflation over the last several years. And yes, we've come down, we've come way down from those highs of eight percent a couple of years ago, but it's been a slog through very high interest rates. Good news though interest rates should be coming down in September. The question is now how much? And that should you know, relieve some pressure on people who are borrowing or thinking about borrowing to buy a house or a car something.
Speaker 4: Okay, and you mentioned car insurance.
Speaker 1: I just did a story that they're expecting insurance rates to go up, like car insurance rates to go up fifty four percent by December in California.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's just crazy.
Speaker 10: It's brutal, and they're already pretty high. They're already more than thirty percent in some areas around the country, California being one of them.
Speaker 3: And that's just one of those costs we can avoid. Right.
Speaker 10: Those are the needs, not the wants, and that's putting a lot of pressure on household budgets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the FED said that its target to lower interest rates was two percent.
Speaker 4: It really wants to get to two percent. We're not there yet. We're two point nine percent.
Speaker 1: Is is that enough you think though, to say, okay, we can start cutting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's all about timing.
Speaker 10: So the Fed pretty much got the inflation narrative under control by keeping interest rates high. But they I think that's okay for right now. They're now focused on the labor market.
Speaker 3: Right. The Fed has two mandates, keep.
Speaker 10: Inflation in that two percent target and also keep the nation at full employment, which is between three and a half and four percent unemployment. Well, we're at four point three as of the last reading and it's been creeping higher. So the Fed is now trying to gauge how weak the job market is becoming, because that might cause it to cut interest rates even deeper when it meets in September.
Speaker 1: Ah, so instead of like a quarter point, we might see a half point or more.
Speaker 10: Well, there is a growing drug feed for a half point cut, but not probably not more than that. Though that said, the Fed has been super transparent this entire time that Jerome Palell has been shared about what it's going to do, and it has pretty much signaled that quarter point cut in September. A deeper cut would be a surprise, but it would also be an indication that the Fed sis weakness in the economy. And make no mistake about it, the economy is slowing a little bit. Arise in unemployment is one sign of it, but also in manufacturing. Also in consumer spending. Even though we're continued to spend in places like Walmart, which is reported blowout or really strong earnings, we're getting tapped out. Credit Card debt is at a record high, and that's put pressure on households as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so as people have the inflationary costs, so we were talking about this, and it's like I make a certain amount of money, but because of inflation, it's just like I make twenty percent less. And so I think more people are like, well, I'm not. I don't have the money. I got to tap into my credit cards to make some of the to make some of my regular payments, right.
Speaker 10: And that's the cycle we continue to get in and folks are getting a little tapped out on that. You were speaking about airline fares, Well, they are cheaper if you're traveling the next two months, because who is, But if you're trying to buy them out into the holidays, going to get much more expensive. But not just that, it's everything else that we're paying for. The good news is gas prices have been pretty level, and that is the thing that really gives us sticker shock as consumers.
Speaker 3: That really makes us cut back on things.
Speaker 10: So we continue to spend on some experiences and discretionary things. But talk to some of the restaurants, some of the restaurants that are closing spending this weakening as consumers are tightening up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, And then for housing, Caleb, I'm curious if the FED decides to drop the interest rates would there be an immediate drop for like housing, for mortgage rates.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's already happened.
Speaker 10: The thirty year mortgages dropped from seven percent just about a month ago to about six point three percent at last check.
Speaker 3: And that's if you have very good credit.
Speaker 10: But also make you've seen a slow down in the rise in housing prices too, so you're going to see the housing market open up. Mortgage rates are super sensitive to the yield on the ten year US Treasury, while the Fed set's interest rates immediately affects the ten year treasury.
Speaker 3: That you've already seen that drop, would probably see mortgage rates drop even further.
Speaker 10: We've seen a spike and refinancings just in the last week off a very low base, but you're starting to see that heat up again, and that's good news for the housing market.
Speaker 1: I love to end on good news. Thank you so much, Caleb Silver, appreciate your information. If you want to follow Caleb, it's at Caleb's Silver.
Speaker 4: Thanks so much.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. California has been ranked thirtieth on a list of the best and worst states to have a baby. The personal finance website wallet hub compared thirty one key metrics in all fifty states, including healthcare accessibility, average annual cost of early childcare, and the number of pediatricians per capita. Analyst Chip Lupo says childcare is expensive in California, which is why the state didn't rank.
Speaker 11: Higher, so it's very important that you do have make sure you have adequate health insurance set aside to money in the savings account for emergency your unplanned expenses.
Speaker 4: He says.
Speaker 1: California did better than neighboring states, with Arizona ranking thirty fifth and Nevada forty six. The state has approved an audit of the City of Anaheim's leases with the Angels for the baseball team's stadium. An audit was called for when the proposed sale of the stadium fell through in twenty over allegations that former Mary Mayor Harry Sidhu was giving inside information to the Anaheim Chamber of Commerce CEO Todd Amont and an Angels consultant. Current Mayor Ashley Aitken says the city welcomes the audit. The stadium's been estimated to be worth about five hundred million dollars. The president of Columbia University has stepped down. ABC's Lindsay Davis says Manushafiq will move on to a role in international development in the UK.
Speaker 12: She i face sharp criticism in her handling of campus wide protests of the Israel Hamas War that became a national symbol, including allegations that she didn't do it enough to protect Jewish students on campus.
Speaker 1: The presidents of Harvard University and the University of Pennsylvania also resigned following pro Palestinian protests on their campuses. A Russian court has sentenced a US Russian ballerina to twelve years in a penal colony for high treason after she allegedly transferred funds to a Ukrainian charity in February of twenty twenty two, that's when Russia launched its full scale invasion of Ukraine. Hurricane Ernesto has been gaining strength as it moves up the Atlantic and heads toward Bermuda. The storm could become a Category three hurricane tomorrow, and it's expected to pass near Bermuda on Saturday. It left behind a trail of destruction and flooding in Puerto Rico. Nat Natalia Brito says she and her family lost power Tuesday night and are standing with relatives who have a generator.
Speaker 13: I'm hoping the energy will come back soon, so that's.
Speaker 2: My only hope.
Speaker 1: The hurricane is expected to trigger rip currents and winds all along the East coast. Police are looking for fake repo men who have been taking cars in the San Fernando Valley. A person in Silmar says two guys recently showed up at his house, took photos of his car, filled out some paperwork, and towed the car away, even though the car was paid for. The laped says there's been a nearly forty percent increase in car thefs in North Hollywood alone in the last year. The Lamolinda, Sydney City Council has voted three to two to lift a twenty fourteen ban on new drives through restaurants. The ban was initially put in place to promote healthier living in the city, which is known as one of the world's five Blue Zones for longevity. Opponents argued the restriction had led to lost business opportunities and said the ban isn't needed because there are healthier food options available now. North Korea is planning to welcome tourists by the end of the year. This announcement comes as South Korea and the US garret for joint military exercises next week in a show of force as North Korea ramps up its nuclear threats. Most American passports are not valid to travel to North Korea, and the US classifies North Korean travel as a Level four risk that means do not travel.
Speaker 4: At six oh five.
Speaker 1: It's handle on the news, Minnesota's Governor Tim Walls says he is all in for a vice presidential debate with JD Vance on October first. Right now, let's say good morning to ABC's crime and Terror analyst Brad Garrett. So, Brad, catalytic converters are a hot commodity. They even caught an actor on General Hospital, Johnny or cost actor Johnny Wackter is life in Downtown LA recently. So what makes them such a hot commodity.
Speaker 11: Because of three precious metals in the inside the converter, which are platinum, palladium, in roodium.
Speaker 7: Their mind either.
Speaker 11: Come out of Africa or Russia. And if you have someone who can actually extract those three precious metals from the stolen converter. You're in dependual potentially a lot of money, in particular, if you're working in volume. If you look at the surveillance video of Johnny's, that looks organized to me, it's three guys that got hoods up masts on. The estimate is, if you know what you're doing, you can steal a converter in ninety seconds, and they tend to work off by them. Now, these guys obviously were armed. I think LAPD has said they think they're gang connected some way, and it makes complete sense because if you can, if you can steal them in volume, then you can sell them to a middleman for whatever you can get per converter, who will then sell them to a metals processing facility that actually extracts these precious metals from the converter, and that's where the money is. I mean, I think in the write up I sent you a family in Sacramento a couple of years ago were prosecuted. They had sent six hundred million dollars worth of converters to a processing facility in New Jersey before they got caught. I mean, there's there's big money in this if in fact, you know you're so inclined to climb underneath people's vehicles.
Speaker 4: Okay, so.
Speaker 1: How if there's six hundred million dollars worth Like when you take the precious metals from the catalytic converters, how much is that worth.
Speaker 11: Well, it's hard to say that rhodium I have read it could be worth excuse me.
Speaker 7: As much as twenty eight thousand dollars an ounce.
Speaker 11: So if you again translate into that into volume, these three medals alone would be worth a fair amount of money. Now you'd have to pull it from a number of converters I think to make it worthwhile.
Speaker 7: But if you're in the.
Speaker 11: Business of doing this in volume, then you could make some money because then the precious metal basically can go back into the open market as to whatever you can get.
Speaker 7: For them of you know, paraphs or whatever it might be.
Speaker 1: So so then my question is how much of these precious metals is actually in a catalytic converter because we're not putting we're not spending twenty eight thousand dollars to put a catalytic converter on a car, so it's not even.
Speaker 7: An adult, right, I don't think a lot.
Speaker 11: But like I said, if you have a lot of converters you've stolen, you could come up with a fair amount of these three precious metals. So you know, strictly from the gang standpoint, you know they're not going to deal with any of this. This is just strictly theft right passing it to a middle person. It could be a body shop, it could be something connected to the automotive industry, let's say of Los Angeles or someplace else, who then moves them on.
Speaker 7: So it's got to be worthwhile.
Speaker 11: I mean, the police in California say there's at least sixteen hundred of them a week that are reported stolen.
Speaker 7: Or around the states.
Speaker 11: So if that gives you an idea, and you know, if you think about is there anything you can do, and maybe there's a few things you can do that The cars amy that seem to be the most targeted are preuses, SUVs, and pickup trucks. Now I'm going to add a fourth one, and that's fleet vehicles. And the reason why is they tend to be alone at night in you know, either a parking garage or even parked outside someplace, and so these can go in and steal the converters off of all the trucks in a given night. So the point being what do you do about that. You can paint your converters to make them less attractive to sell. You can put your your ven number or tag number on the converter. You can have either you can either purchase or have made a metal plate to go over your converters, so the bad guys can immediately get to the converter to steal it. And you have to think about where you park it and is it going to be isolated. Now, granted, some people just don't have any choice where they park their vehicle, but the point being if it's something that's easily accessible to bad guys, then it makes it more susceptible. Now I'll tell you the problem. I mean, if you look at at Johnny's tape, the surveillance tape when he was killed, I mean, it's three o'clock in the morning, but as you well know in La on a busy street, it's busy at three o'clock in the morning. I mean there were people out, there were scars parking in front of him and back of him, so they're really bold in what they're doing. So you can take these precautions, but they're not going to be perfect.
Speaker 1: Okay, And the ven number one sounds like a decent idea. But if somebody is coming in and stealing these catalytic converters in mass are they checking for an number?
Speaker 4: Aren't they just cutting them off and going?
Speaker 11: Well, I think they're probably cutting them off and going and they may not care because you know, in an hour, two hours, five hour, they're not going to have it anymore. They're going to pass it on to whoever they're selling it to, and you know, once it gets in that internal system, you know it's not going to do you much good. I think the whole idea of doing that is deterrence, right. I mean, if you walk into the body shop that fence does these for you, and they're going to go, well, wha wall, wait a minute, this guy's got this, you know, tag number, they're going to be less excited maybe about buying it or not. But I think it's it's a reasonable thing. Insurance companies recommend what I just suggested, but it's it's not a problem that's going away. Because every car made after nineteen seventy four has converters, and some cars have two and three converters.
Speaker 4: Okay, and them. I have one last question for you, Brat.
Speaker 1: Why why don't we go after the middleman or the processing facilities. I mean, if there was no market for them, people would stop stealing them.
Speaker 7: Well, that's correct, and we do when we know about it.
Speaker 11: That case and Sacramento I mentioned, they got everybody involved in that, the family that basically had them, stole them, the people who actually stole them, and then the place that they were shipped to in New Jersey. I think the problem they is figuring out. I mean, catalytic converters aren't marked in any way, and once they come off your vehicle to become anonymous, right, I mean, how do you know that that's the one that's stolen from my car? You don't, And so I think they get by with it unless you break up one of these chains of folks that work together to come up with a volume of converters. And so they do get caught occasionally, but it doesn't look like to me they get caught with any regularity.
Speaker 1: All Right, ABC's Brad Garrett. The ABC's news is crime and Terrorism analysts. You can follow Brad at Brad Investigates. Thanks so much for the information and go paint your catalytic converter.
Speaker 7: All right, thank you, Amy.
Speaker 1: Hey, I producer, and just shared this with me this morning, and I thought it was hysterical. So the La Dodgers are in Milwaukee, and in fact, they've got one more game coming up later this morning, and Dodger star Mookie Bets is not staying with the team. He is instead staying at a short term rental so like an Airbnb, because the team is staying at the Fister Hotel in downtown Milwaukee. It was built in the eighteen nineties and is long rumored to be frequented by spirits of former guests that terrorize the current guests. So Muki said, yeah, not so much. I'm not doing it. And this is one of the oldest hotels that MLB teams stay in. It's been stayed in by diplomats and presidents. It's a luxury hotel. It's on the National Register of Historic Places. But Bets says, no thanks, I'm not staying there. So the lesson learned is, MOOKI don't like spooky. I cracked myself up. The City of Long Beach says it'll start sighting and arresting homeless people who refuse to leave camps that have been deemed unsafe. Long Beach Deputy Director of Our Deputy City Manager Teresa Chandler says the city will still make efforts to provide alternatives to living on the street first, but if they're ignored, homeless people could be cited, fined, or arrested. Former President Trump has laid out his plans for the economy if voters put him back in the White House. At a rally in North Carolina, Trump said he'll sign an executive order directing his cabinet to take action to bring down inflation and consumer prices in the first one hundred days of his presidency. He said he would also slash energy prices in half in his first eighteen months in office. Vice President Kamala Harris has a twenty five point lead over Trump in a new poll of California voters. The poll is from the Berkeley Institute of Governmental Studies. The results not surprising since registered Democrats in California outnumber Republicans by almost three to one. At six oh five a handle on the News, the city of la is spending a half million dollars on Olympic flags at five point fifty. We're going to find out if interest rates might finally start coming down now that inflation is below three percent. We'll be talking with ABC's Cheyenne Haslet about that wake up call. Went out in about to Long Beach for a little walking, a little learning, and some really great food. So I went on a walking tour of East Village and caught up with the owner of Melting Pot Food Tours, Jody Flowers. So, Jody, please tell us what we will do and see and experience on a Melting Pot Food tour.
Speaker 14: We walk along the sidewalks, we observe and listen to the history and culture of the village with the tour guide, and we visit and have food tastings from small businesses in the East Village with time honored family passed down recipes, food that has been in the region and identifies with the cafe. And it's a regional and the places are all owned by small business owners.
Speaker 1: And here's what I love about it, Jody, is like when you go down a street wherever you are, I'm in Silver Lake, But when you drive down a street, you go, oh, look at that.
Speaker 4: Cute little restaurant, Look at that cute little restaurant. Look at that shop, Look at that shop.
Speaker 1: I should go in there one time, and you kind of don't because you're always in a hurry, right, So this gives you an opportunity to just stop down, walk through the neighborhood, stop into a restaurant, sample what they have. We stopped in a couple of the shops and got to see some really great products, like again, small owned businesses.
Speaker 4: And you don't get that every day, correct.
Speaker 14: And we also visit museums if this along the tour in the village that we're visiting. And then also we'll walk into a retail shop too, something like a retail therapy.
Speaker 4: So we was always good.
Speaker 14: We always loved to mix and combine sidewalk walking cafes, original food tastings, all curated from owners. And then we mix and mingle and blend museums.
Speaker 4: And arts and culture.
Speaker 1: And of course then you also get to see again because you're not in your car, you're just walking around and Long.
Speaker 4: Beach is just beautiful.
Speaker 1: And so we got to start at the performing Arts center.
Speaker 14: What's it called the City Terrace Theater.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you can see the beach from here, and then you're seeing all the different kinds of architecture, so you're really learning about Long Beach along with experiencing Long Beach. So what gave you this idea to.
Speaker 14: Start this, Well, we wanted to create a tour in the South Bay area, you know, specific to the region. We create a relationship with one of the business owners here, which is where we're at, and it just started from there, and then we just really seriously it goes from one business owner to the next, and then we created a tour around that.
Speaker 13: Okay.
Speaker 1: And if you are not in Long Beach or close to Long Beach, you can of course come to Long Beach and do the walking tour, but you have other.
Speaker 4: Tours as well.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 14: We have tours at the original farmers Market. That's the first.
Speaker 1: Tour, the one by the growth yeah oh okay, yeah, all right, Third and Fair of Fax we start there, okay.
Speaker 14: That is the origional tour of Multipop Food Tours. We have a two and a half hour tour there. But most importantly we also have an East La.
Speaker 4: And World Heights tour okay.
Speaker 14: And we also have an Old Pasadena tour I Pasadena, thank you. And we are in development of ty Town in Hollywood.
Speaker 4: Oh, some more to come.
Speaker 14: And then we also are in development of Little India and Artesia.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: And so when you come and do the tour, about how long does it take and how long how much are you going to walk?
Speaker 14: Just so people can prepare for it, exactly fifty four hundred to eight thousand steps planned to have hours to three.
Speaker 1: And don't eat before you come, because I will tell you the first stop. We went to the Long Beach Tacos and it was spectacular and we were full and we went, wait, there's more food. And so then we had a few more stops. So it's really cool because you get to stop, sample, go, learn and have a beautiful day walking around downtown exactly.
Speaker 14: And we're outdoors. You know, the benefits of being outdoors walking in the neighborhood, the benefits of eating really good food for your body and mind nourishes you know, heart, body and mind. Right, And so that's the takeaway of Melting Potfood Tours.
Speaker 4: I love that, okay.
Speaker 1: And where do we find out more about Melting Pot Food Tour.
Speaker 14: Well, we have a website www. Dot melting pottours dot com. We are locally owned and we're located in La I love that.
Speaker 1: Thanks Jony Flowers, thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: We went out and.
Speaker 1: About to Long Beach and we highly recommend that you do it as well.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 1: It was really a fun way to spend an afternoon. You know, you're strolling around, you get a little bit of exercise, you have some great food. As I mentioned, we went to Long Beach Tacos. Their food was spectacular. We went to the Thai District. Oh my gosh, it was so good. And then we went to Bliss and had some cookies, and then we went to a coffee shop and hung out and just it was such a great way to spend a day. And again, if you don't want to go to Long Beach, they have them in Pasadena, East, LA. There's some other tours that are available and you can find out more at Melting pottours dot com. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The LAPD is urging people in Encino to keep an eye on the rear entrances of their homes.
Speaker 5: The string of burglaries targeting the neighborhood is typically involved back doors and windows in the late night and early morning hours. LAPD Deputy Chief Allen Hamilton says police have increased patrols on the ground and in the air as they try to find the bad guys.
Speaker 2: To make sure that we're utilizing every resource there we have available to us on all legal basis.
Speaker 15: To identify, track arrests, and prosecute.
Speaker 5: Most of the recent burglaries and encino. What happened near Libbett Park close to the one to one freeway, please say burglars like the quick escape in downtown La Michael monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Five horses suffering from starvation and some other animals have been taken from a property in Kabazon. It was part of a cruelty investigation by the Riverside County Department of Animal Services.
Speaker 4: The agency says the.
Speaker 1: Horses were emaciated and had their ribs and spines showing. The department had been investigating allegations of animal negligence at the property since last month. Ukraine is continuing its offensive into Russia. ABC's Ian Pannell says the push has been relentless on the ground and from the air.
Speaker 12: All Russian airfields some hundreds of miles from the border and at least one housing Meg fighter jets were reportedly hit by long range drones.
Speaker 1: More than two hundred thousand civilians in Russia have been told to leave their homes as thousands of Ukrainian troops have crossed the border. Researchers in the UK say they're a step closer to understanding how how Stonehenge was created. It was built about five thousand years ago, with stones forming different circles taken to the site at different times. A new study shows the unique stone lying flat at the center of Stonehenge originally came from a sandstone quarry in Scotland. It's not clear whether the sixteen foot slab was carried by boat or across land. For more than a century, it was thought Stonehenge's alter stone came from Wales. I gotta get there. I would like to see Stonehenge. Video game actors plan to picket outside Disney studios in Burbank today. The people who provide voices for popular video games want protections against artificial intelligence and also more money the SAG after union actors have been on strike since July twenty sixth. The Arizona Supreme Court is ruled and informational pamphlet for voters can refer to a fetus as an unborn human being. That language will be used in a description for a November ballot measure that would guarantee the constitutional right to an abortion. The grand opening of the two billion dollar Into It Dome is tonight with Grammy Award winner Bruno Mars performing his first of two concerts. It's the first in a series of shows for the next few weeks. It'll be the new home court for the Clippers starting in October. The Dome, next to SOFI and the Kia Forum, will host the twenty twenty six NBA All Star Game and Olympic Basketball in twenty twenty eight. Right now, let's say good morning to ABC's Cheyenne Hazlitt. Chyenne, I think this is the first time we've talked, so welcome to wake up call.
Speaker 13: Thank you, Amy. I'm excited to be joining you.
Speaker 1: So it's super easy to sign up for a subscription of like face cream or streaming services, or pet food, even kitty litter. But once they get your money, the companies don't want to give it up. The FEDS they're doing something to help us be able to cancel these things easier.
Speaker 13: Well, that's exactly right. They're calling these efforts a cracktown quote, headaches, halfles that waste people's time and money. It's actually an entire initiative called the Time is Money Campaign, and there's a few different policies that are potentially at work here. The first, as you mentioned, is that it should be as easy to cancel a subscription as it is different up for one, if it's one or two clicks on your phone to enroll, it should be the same to end it. That's according to the White House's Domestic Policy Advisor near A Tandon. This is targeting things like gym memberships or your subscription to a newspaper, and it's being over seen by the Federal Trade Commission. The rulemaking process is actually in its final stages right now, so it will likely be implemented in the coming months, barring any lawsuits. And the second big component to this campaign is preventing doom loop phone calls. So that's when you're trying to get through to a customer service representative maybe to end that subscription, but your stuff talking to a chatba or an automated voice. The Biden administration wants to make it a rule that you can press a single button to get to a human in those situation. That rule will go through the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau and potentially the SEC the Federal Communications Commission to explore if they can apply that rule all sort of phone, broadband and cable companies. That's all in its early stages of the rulemaking process, so we don't expect that before the end of the year.
Speaker 7: But yeah, you.
Speaker 13: Can see that there's clearly a campaign here. It goes in hand with the Biden administration's overall efforts to try and bring down prices for people, especially ahead of that November election when we're seeing stubborn inflation.
Speaker 1: I love that they're called doom loop phone calls because I've been stuck in that doom loop and it just by the time I get to somebody to actually make some sort of change, I'm so mad that I just want to scream at them, and then I feel bad because you know, it's not their fault that I got stuck in the doom loop.
Speaker 4: It's just that's how they do business.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned that the policies are going to go to an effect in a few months, So will they will they kick in before the election.
Speaker 4: Do you think.
Speaker 13: That first one about subscriptions likely before the election and that second one about doom loop phone calls, it's unlikely that that will happen before the election, Okay.
Speaker 1: And then you also mentioned that it may be easier to file health insurance claims under what they're working on now, is that part of this cancelation policy that they're putting in placers that coming later.
Speaker 13: You know, that's actually basically an example of the White House using the bully pulpit to try and encourage companies to act in a certain way without formally creating any rules. The Health and Human Services Secretary Javier Bacarah sent letters to insurance companies asking them to make it easier for people to submit claims, potentially allowing that to be online. Also to make it easier to get through to your health insurance provider on the phone. And so, you know, that's an effort to call companies out for what the White House has deemed bad behavior. And we'll see if we see movement from that alone, or if they're further efforts down the road to formalize that into a rulemaking process. But you know, this is obviously part of We've mentioned a few of them already, but there are other efforts underway too, like taking on junk fees tacked onto things like concert tickets and hotel rooms, or requiring airlines to automatically refund passengers for delayed flights rather than making people jump through hoops to get that money, or canceling small medical debts for people. These are all efforts underway from the Biden administration to lower costs, and the idea is that people need to feel more confident in the economy through these consistent but piecemeal efforts to bring down their daily costs, because high prices is among the top issues for voters heading into the November election.
Speaker 1: And it's interesting that these things are coming out just now, right before the election. Does this need to be passing, does this need to be passed by conquerors or it's just new rules that they can pass.
Speaker 13: It is just a rulemaking process exactly, so no need for Congress's involvement, which, of course, under less than hundred days before an election is not likely. So we can see, you know, we'll see these playing out in the rule making process. They expected timeline, as they said, it's still months away on each of these. Of course, there's the potential that either could be challenged by business groups in court. That would certainly be a setback, but we will see if those court cases are successful.
Speaker 1: One click cancelations. I am all for that. I'm going to be watching for that. Seanne Haslett, thank you so much for the information today, and we hope we get to talk to you again soon.
Speaker 13: Thank you. Amy.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. R V homeless camps may soon have to stay away from residential areas, business districts, parks, libraries, and other parts of La City. Councilwoman Tracy Park says the city needs to act on the frustrations of residents and business owners.
Speaker 6: Are v's that stay put for weeks, months, and years without movie taking up critical parking, blocking safe passage, and devastating local businesses.
Speaker 1: The city Council's voted to have city staff create a citywide policy that would keep RVs out of the designated areas. It would also identify parts of every council district where URV camps would be allowed. A working Horse ranch for homeless people in Orange County has received one hundred thousand dollars for a new tech center.
Speaker 15: We help them get back on their feet and contributing to society.
Speaker 8: Oh See Rescue Mission President Brian Crane says, the almost twenty year program teaches homeless people work ethic through gardening, maintenance or cleaning up after livestock.
Speaker 15: In twenty twenty, we were able to move the whole operation to Silverado Canyon and it's a thirty three acre facility. One day, when we remodel everything, we'll be able to accommodate one hundred and forty one people there.
Speaker 8: The Cox Communications grant will help create the tech center to be used for education, job training, and telehealth appointments in Orange County. Corbin Carson KFI.
Speaker 1: News This morning, the Dodgers are in Milwaukee to take on the Brews, with the first pitch going out at eleven ten. You can listen to every play of every Dodgers game on AM five seventy LA Sports and stream all the games in HD on the iHeartRadio app. Keyword is AM five seventy LA Sports powered by Lacare for all of LA. And let's hope that Mooki Bett's got a good night's sleep at his Airbnb, since he wouldn't stay in the hotel in downtown Milwaukee that's said to be haunted.
Speaker 4: If you want to go check that story.
Speaker 1: Out, you can give it a listen on the wake Up Call on the iHeartRadio app. You can listen any old time. We got lots of information there for you. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeart Radio your app