Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout Podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So, since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property. And for this week of December second, we are continuing with Lost season one, episode twenty two, Born to Run, a Kate flashback episode. They could be subtitled Yeah, we're getting to the two episod season finale, but we got one more hour to fill.
Speaker 2: Yes, we get to see Kate traumatize her mother and get somebody killed.
Speaker 1: So traumatize her mother, but also, you know, you risk your life to go see your mom, who's ailing. You risk the life of your old friend and the career eventually the life of your old friend, and then you finally get to her, you orchestrate this whole thing. And what does she do? Did she say, oh, baby, it's so good to see you. Before I die you start screaming for help? Bad mom? First say oh honey, I'm so happy to see you. Did you lose some weight? And what color is your hair?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: No, first, she's just Anyea. That just seemed to fall into the bad mom category to me. Come on, show a little appreciation. She went to a lot of trouble to be here.
Speaker 2: Oh, we don't know what happened between.
Speaker 1: Them, We don't apparently not something yeah, but not something that would expect to be welcomed in such a way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess not.
Speaker 1: Oh man. And then well we're talking parenting. You know, you've got your bad dad here, Mackenzie asked in come on, man, you have a baby, you have a wife. You're going to risk your life for this old girlfriend and get yourself killed. That's bad. Don't do that. You are now a bad dad. You seem like a nice dude, but possibly judgment not so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't get in the car with her, is probably yes, Step one.
Speaker 1: Yes, she gave you an out, even though you probably would have been arrested and your career is ruined. But still you would have been Your son could have visited you in jail. But now nope, you're gone. Another one of a string of dads who need bad decisions that will impact their child's life forever. Nice work, buddy, Nice to see you though. Hey, how you doing? I remember you? Yes, last on this podcast, in the movie How to Deal. Mm hmmm, it's sister's fiance anyway.
Speaker 2: And then we're supposed to be all confused because they got they found you. Now we know the source of the little plane that case retrieved.
Speaker 1: Earlier in it And yet is it any more satisfying.
Speaker 2: Well, because now she left it in the backseat of the car when she took off, So now we got to assume that it got from there to the the deposit.
Speaker 1: My gosh, will we find out the secret of the plane? Will we know what happened to her? Oh, my gosh, such suspense. Oh and there's also this giant door in the floor of the jungle. But yeah, that plane, what about that plane?
Speaker 2: About that little plane. And also Walt knows.
Speaker 1: About that, Yes, and he senses something bad about it, and that causes him to tell Walk not to open it, and his dad that they have to go.
Speaker 2: And he is special, so we know that.
Speaker 1: Yes, do we mention his special?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: As if we could not have figured out that a giant middle door in the middle of the jungle is probably not going to lead to something great, let's add that little bit of foreshadowing, shall we. It's freak a little walled out. Yeah, And you know, speaking of island mysteries, what color do we think Kate's hair was supposed to be originally because she was Was she blonde and then she dyed her hair? Did she dye it back to brown or did she get the dye out? How do you get die out? Because if she's blonde and she's been in the jungle, Cowel, there's definitely an island Walgreens with some claaral products on the shelf.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that when they first showed her and she was blond, it for sure looked like a wig. So but then they showed her coloring it. Yeah, so I don't understand. I'm so confused.
Speaker 1: These are the things that you don't put in the viewer's mind when they're watching a show in which people are on a dessert island for long periods of time. Completely unnecessary. She could have been brunette and died it blonde, you know. Yeah, then we would have bought it, right, although how long was this before the planet? Anyway, it's a magical island. It keeps your hair whatever color it was when you got there.
Speaker 2: Among its many other properties, there's.
Speaker 1: That don't ask glass Just nope.
Speaker 2: I can't do that for sure, hm.
Speaker 1: Amongst other significant things on this episode, we met Ourst, the expert in tides and winds and stuff. He's a high school science teacher.
Speaker 2: Showed up out of the blue. Never see him before. It's been twenty two episodes.
Speaker 1: He's just been hanging.
Speaker 2: All of a sudden we're listening to his.
Speaker 1: He just couldn't sit still, sit behind the palm tree anymore. He had to get up and say something.
Speaker 2: Apparently he did.
Speaker 1: But HELLI every now and then, we're just gonna have somebody walk out of nowhere, and everybody's going to know who they are.
Speaker 2: And everyone's going to listen to what they say and take it as gospel because.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure, it's that guy. Come on, it's that guy. He's given us good advice before, we played lots of golf games. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, he's a science teacher.
Speaker 1: Okay, sure, well, don't get too attached. It's all same. But and now much drama about who's going to be on the round. Yes, I don't know if I was Michael, I don't think I had to take any of these jokers, Take your kid and go. In the morning, they'll wake up and you'll be gone, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But also the whole thing sounds extremely sketchy and like it to happen.
Speaker 2: Yikes. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yes, and they think it will be hard to find this island after they get help, which seems to suggest a advanced knowledge of where this storyline is going. But why would they think that it would be hard to find the island?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I guess because no one's found them yet.
Speaker 1: I gets so, But nobody didn't they established early that nobody was looking. No one's looking in the right place because they were someplace, of course, right.
Speaker 3: But.
Speaker 1: You know, I could see Walt saying that. But maybe Michael, I don't know. Anyway, it doesn't matter. Nope, it's a small island. Maybe that's why he said it small island. Lots of lots of water, yeah, hopefully not poisoned water.
Speaker 2: Yes, but it's big enough for you know, at least two populations of people hanging out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which I.
Speaker 2: Guess we're going to get to that pretty soon.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yes. Have I mentioned the two hour season finale coming out of the two episode season finale? I guess they were on different weeks, which is not nice.
Speaker 2: Are we going to watch it one at a time or both at it?
Speaker 1: I don't know, you can decide? Good watch him let me let me let me look at the descriptions of the wold and see if they go together well or if the first one ends on a good cliffhanner. But yeah, we could move it along by watching them all. I know generally what happens over the arc of the two episodes, but I'm not really sure which happened when in each. But this one was definitely a placeholder of which we will be getting more over the seasons. Yeah, we don't have enough story to fill as many episodes. Okay, Well, I.
Speaker 2: Feel like twenty four is more than a network show. Easy, I don't know. Yeah, twenty two is in my mind.
Speaker 1: As the Yeah, it was popular. They wanted to milk it for as far as they guess, and we do, I mean, have to know these things about Kate eventually. Right, Just the island story was not all that compelling. I mean, I guess Jack did find out about the hatch, and you know, Walt had his little prominent or whatever, right, But other than that, it was you know, bickering over a raft seat and you know, poisoning. But of course it turns out to be Sun not wanting Gin to go, and.
Speaker 2: But Kate put her up to it.
Speaker 1: Kate put her up to it so that she could get Gin seat. Presumably. Yeah, why she all of a sudden wants to go, I don't know, because she realizes that if they get rescued then she would get recognized. Really, you know, does jail sound so bad compared to this place, Kate?
Speaker 2: And also, if you get rescued on the raft versus if you get rescued on the island, what's the difference.
Speaker 1: You're still not going to get your face in the paper if you get rescued in the raft in the middle of nowhere. I don't think so. Also, you know there's a you could probably start your own little colony there on the island with the people who don't want to go back. So yeah, you know you and Locke and uh, well Walt, I guess.
Speaker 2: He's changed his mind. He wants to.
Speaker 1: Get away from But probably there's other people there. Maybe you could join their club. You know, you're a you're a fugitive from justice. You probably could fall in with the evil cohort of the island.
Speaker 2: Fine, and you could you could hold your own with.
Speaker 1: That whole boyfriend killed. You know, we've come to the dark side.
Speaker 2: Lady, there you go.
Speaker 1: But just the way they what's Sawyer who everybody hates, tells them that Cage is the fugitive, and then they're all looking at her like it's the camera working, all the actors look at her life. Oh that person we've liked and who has helped us out and who has delivered baby, hasn't done all this stuff. All of a sudden, it's like, oh, what she was a fugitive, Like we don't already shun shut. Yes, yeah, that'll last five minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jack is you know, very willing to overlook things, as he was.
Speaker 1: Good at keeping secrets.
Speaker 2: But remember they said no more, No more lies. Last week, no more lies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good luck with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, we else have it that much.
Speaker 1: Huh, not much. It just wasn't. Oh, Charlie, I guess got to playing guitar again and is writing songs and is annoying people, which is sort of his place, and the music was working very hard. I enjoyed that. And I noticed when Kate and her unfortunately doomed friend went out to find the time capsule they had buried, it was, of course pouring rain. They enjoyed the rain on this show. Yeah, they must have invested big in a rain machine, because not only is it raining all the time on the island, it's also raining when Sawyer goes and shoots somebody. Yes, raining when these guys go out into the middle of nowhere to dig up a lunch box with just do we think a tape recorded? Yeah, with survive the box buried in a place where it rains would still play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's a really good lunchbox, I guess.
Speaker 1: I guess It's not even the Weird Island, so you can't even blame it on the island being weird and preserving things. Anybody associated with the Island is also carrious with them the aura of weirdness that.
Speaker 2: Makes things apply, Yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, not that much to say about this one, yeah, other than just move it along, right, let's go here we come, let's keep going.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: So next Tuesday we will continue with season one, episode twenty three of Lost Exodus, Part one. I guess we'll do the first part of the two part and just stretch it out. Make me ways, if we get to the end of part one and you say, bleep this, I'm going to watch the rest of it, then we'll talk about it. But otherwise we'll just watch part one. I think there's enough in there to talk about.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: These last two episodes are multi flashback. It's sort of seeing how everybody got to their destination. Okay, so it bounces around amongst all of them. So yeah, a little more going on than this week. Yeah, So we will see you back here tomorrow to discuss shrinking. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at Parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find this a about chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at amazon dot com slash shop slash Mamitude, where you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.