Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine hileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming. Then I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property. And for this week of March third, we're continuing with A Man on the Inside, Season one, episode six hour Man in Sacramento. And last week you were like, Wow, this is getting kind of maudlin, and then this week got worse because yes, they killed somebody.
Speaker 1: They killed somebody, and they talked about another character's cancer and there was most large chunk of the show was about how fathers and daughters don't communicate even as adults, and where did our little mystery show go? Yeah, we got Julie for like ten seconds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they just had to throw that in there for a quick reminder, like, oh yeah, don't forget this.
Speaker 1: But then forget because there was absolutely nothing about not even a side ways oh something. I guess the salts. Are we to believe that the salt shakers were stolen? I get?
Speaker 3: I mean, what would be the point of that. I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's just what happened to the writing staff, Like somewhere halfway through this, somebody's like parent died or something, and it just all went off into a sad reflective place.
Speaker 2: Right, Although we did get we did get the grandchildren.
Speaker 1: So we got Emily and we got the grandchildren. Even the grandchildren were like Grandpa said, all maturance stuff. Yeah, what is its show is? I'm confused. I don't I Don't'm not saying I dislike it. I'm just saying it's not what we signed on for. Right, Maybe it's better than what we signed on for. I don't know, but I mean it's very well done, and I mean they spent a lot of time with Didi there at the beginning, and so I thought it was going to be We're going to find out things about her that wind up reflecting on the mystery, right, But nah, No, we just like Stephanie Beatrice and wanted to give her more to do.
Speaker 2: Wanted her to lay on the floor with her headphones on.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so so she was part of the plot this week was that she was offered a corporate job, which then she has her whole moment of like, but I love my people.
Speaker 3: So it seems like she doesn't want to do it, but.
Speaker 1: Just feels to me like a show we've seen before. But okay, how many more episodes do only two?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean it's just very weird, well done, but weird that it really has nothing to do with anything previously. But parenting wise, we did get some parenting content.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was amused by the idea of Mom is the communication glue of the family, of the keystone of the bridge of the family communication, which is certainly true. Yes, you know, it's true when Mom's around that she's doing it, and it's true when she's gone that suddenly people don't know how to know how to do it communicate right, So that true and sad and melancholy, making and thinking, how do I teach my family to talk to me?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I probably should get on that at some point. It's too late.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's touff.
Speaker 1: I mean, but in previous episodes, Emily and Charles seem to communicate fairly well I guess maybe not. No, he was just sending her stuff in the mail. Yeah, and she's she's busy, she has errands to run.
Speaker 2: If she needs a new garden hose, yes, very important.
Speaker 1: Right, but her boys are all sorts of sensitive and communicative, right as.
Speaker 2: Long as they can talk while playing video games. I mean, that is that does go back to the old thing, like if you need to have a conversation, like being in the car or you know, being involved in something else is always a good It was a car.
Speaker 1: Strategy, and that is finally where Emily and Charles did have their conversation. Yes, in the car, Yes, because because you're you're trapped.
Speaker 2: Right, and you shouldn't look at each other, especially if you're on TV, because you will stress me out.
Speaker 1: That Yes, I hate that every time. I hate characters in a car because you always think that something's gonna happen. But yes, if they're looking at each other, or if there's a weird angle.
Speaker 2: On the road.
Speaker 1: Please, we don't need that.
Speaker 2: We've already got people in you know, sick and dying. We don't need yes, a car correct add to it all?
Speaker 1: Why and they only they only had one week to do the She should have bought the massage. She when she could have used it. I mean it was pretty heavy hand did last week and it's like, oh, they're safe. She had no time with it at all. Yes, one week to the next she was gone.
Speaker 2: Although it was funny that they brought it to her celebration of life. Everyone can have a massage, now, that's right.
Speaker 1: I don't know, you know, I liked when I think he was saying that he didn't want to put a burden on his daughter by communicating all the stuff that was going on, and she, I think said that us not communicating is the burden. Yeah, which is a good thing to remember from a parenting point of view, right. You know, you can think I'm going to keep something from my kids that will cause them pain, but then it's painful for them not to have the information or it's a problem. It's more of a problem not to communicate it, right than it is, which sounds like something we could probably work into lost too. But they would all be much healthier if they communicated or just left town without murdering people one or the other.
Speaker 3: Pick one.
Speaker 1: If Jack, if Jack's wife had actually talked to him about what she was feeling, oh well, there would be no show because they would not be screwed up. Therefore they would not make it to the island.
Speaker 3: Back to the Man on the.
Speaker 2: Ens, yeah, I mean we have we have two more episodes for him to figure out what happened with the jewelry, and.
Speaker 3: You know it shows like the after Party and what was it? I feel like there was another one that I'm forgetting right now.
Speaker 2: Where you just look at each person wanted you know, each suspect gets kind of a feature. And yes, we got kind of frustrated with After Party because it was just like, well, it can't be that person because it's not the final episode. But this isn't doing anything like yeah, like we don't have any sort of real candidates at this point, right.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I and nor do we really particularly and we haven't seen the horrible lady whose jewelry got stolen nor her son. What is this show? I just I mean I don't begrudge it. It's look at aging. I think that could be an interesting idea for a show. But you have a rotating cast, I guess if you can keep killing them all. Yeah, and the whole I felt like I had seen the whole contest for Dede's soul sort of thing about the you don't want to be there with the people living their lives and deaths or do you want to have a place where you can get good coffee right and be in a high building? You know. It's I feel like we've seen that show before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh for sure, and we know what happened.
Speaker 1: We kind of a fun like well when there's kind of a fun way in, but we seem to have gone out now, so right right now that we're in, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean, And wasn't this it was based on like a true story? Right?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah? It says that in the credits.
Speaker 2: So it's like they took this tiny little germ of an idea from from something that really happened, and they were like, but we're going to use it as a metaphor for aging and families and I don't know what all. Mike, sure, what are you doing Please please explain yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's either a bait and switch or they're gonna just all of a sudden pivot and go back to the mystery at the end, right, which I don't think you can do, even if even if it's a short number of it's a short season, right. And I do wonder whether it's difficult for people who have been used to a network TV season to do an eight episode series, because if you're doing parks and rec you can take eight episodes and wander around, yeah, and then get back to where you were. You can get back to the pit after twelve episodes of not talking about the pit. But for this you kind of have to keep the thread going. You think, hmmm, I don't know. I guess we can't judge until it's all over. Maybe there's something cleverly has been sewn through all of these episodes, right that we have not noticed, and we'll.
Speaker 2: Go, oh, now, I see what you were doing.
Speaker 1: That was all part of it. The jewelry is hidden a massage cheer. How did we miss? How did flow have the money for the massage char she was stealing?
Speaker 2: Well, we already went through that because she was suspected for a minute because of her Yes, gambling, gambling.
Speaker 1: Yes, maybe her debts were really high, and so this is how they smuggled her out of town. But she's not really dead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, her body body.
Speaker 1: All sorts of directions this could go, but he will not go in any.
Speaker 2: And it's too fine and it's you know, fifty four remaining minutes or however many it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So do we believe at the end of this episode that DEDI just went and bought some dang salt shakers? Yes, with her own money? Yes, because that's all from the very beginning, I was thinking, find a restaurant supply store. How expensive that can they be?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like I'm not saying you should like refurnish the whole place on your own paycheck, but salt shakers, Right, just buy some salt checkers. But maybe she bought them with the money she got from stealing things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe that's why she needs to steal stuff to fund right, it's a it's a Robinhood situation. She's taking care of the residents.
Speaker 1: Bills things from unpleasant old ladies in order to buy the small everyday items they need. Aw Well, when he needs to buy deed a fancy coffee maker.
Speaker 2: Or how about a massage chair if there's one available.
Speaker 1: Right, bet, so she doesn't have to lay on the floor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is true possibility. Well, we'll see next week.
Speaker 3: We will.
Speaker 2: We will continue with episode seven of eight. It is called from Russian Hill with Love and we'll see you back here tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Sound like a solution, but okay.
Speaker 2: We'll see you back here tomorrow for our weekly Roundabout round up.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to come on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash Mamitude, where you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.