Speaker 1: There was once a man as the highest paid stuntman in the world. This man broke fifty six bones his back twice, punctured a lung, and knocked out a few teeth. His career has included work on forty five hundred television episodes and three hundred and ten feature films as a stuntman, stunt coordinator, second unit director, and ultimately director. This man wrecked hundreds of cars, fell from tall buildings, got blown up, was dragged by horses, rescued the cast and crew from a Russian invasion in Czechoslovakia, set a world record for a boat stunt on Gator, jumped a rocket powered pickup truck across the canal for a GM commercial and was the first human to test the car airbag. This man was Hal Needham and he was wrapped.
Speaker 2: All right. This is Dick Miller. If you're listening to junk food cinema, who.
Speaker 1: Are these guys? Do you believe in Heaven above? Do you believe in love? Do you perhaps believe in jug food Cinema? Brought to you by Send Me an Angel dot com dot com dot com dot that is not a mail order bride catalog, but actually our exclusive take delivery service. This is, of course, the weekly Culton Exploitation film cast. So good it just has to be fattening. I'm your Brian Salisburnham, joined as per usual by my friend and co host. He is a novelist. He is a screenwriter, a lieutenant of Mega Force, a man with thunder in his heart who's every movement is like lightning. Luckily that's what emodium is for. Mister c Robert Cargill. Hi, how's it going? Man?
Speaker 2: What I would give to go ass sliding with you right now?
Speaker 1: I would love to go. You know what, Cargo, that touches me that you want to go ass sliding with me?
Speaker 2: Sliding Joel as lighting.
Speaker 1: If there were two people better equipped to go as lighting together, I'd like to meet them. Well, actually no, I don't think I would kirkt me if I'm wrong, Cargo. But I think you told me that while you were watching Brad for this episode, you got a text from friend of the show, Joe Lynch. Yes that Joe Lynch did. What did? What did he say?
Speaker 2: He's like, what are you watching? And I told him and he's like, ass lighting first word out of his mouth, asslighting.
Speaker 1: You know what's crazy, Cargo, is that sounds like a reductive bit we're doing. And no, that's what they call that in this movie.
Speaker 2: To go to one of our regular segments, Unfiltered Wife, I was making as sliding references and just just kept looking over at me and then and then right, and she looks at me. The character goes, let's I want to take you ass sliding and she looks at me and she gives I thought that was a bit you were making this up and I was like, oh no, baby, get ready for the ass sliding.
Speaker 1: You have never heard a term that seems dripping in as much irony as it turns out to be completely bereft of irony as two teenagers saying let's go as sliding together. And no, you know what kills me, Cargo, I don't even care fucking sidebar at the top of the show before we get into it.
Speaker 2: Personally, I think it's gonna be the whiskey, but what he could be also be the fried foods. But what do you think is gonna kill you?
Speaker 1: What kills me is that no one, even the newbiest to this town, no one's ever like, I'm sorry, did you just say as sliding. That's weird. What the fuck does that? They all just go along with it. It is like it is this film takes place in yes and and Alberta. Hey buddy, Hey buddy, how are you now going as Ladin? Are you Goodn't you like? What the fuck is happening in this movie? Figurenau?
Speaker 2: I mean, everybody knows what movie we're talking about, but let's let's make this official.
Speaker 1: You know what Cargill. Recently, I was made aware that, in honor of its fortieth anniversary, RAD was returning to theaters. And what a great opportunity I thought to reshare our rat episode on social media. So imagine my shock and horror to discover that I could not reshare our rat episode on social media because we did not have a rat episode at all.
Speaker 2: It's one of the few now how Needa movies we haven't covered Cargil.
Speaker 1: We've had plenty of occasions where we are startled, shocked, and even miffed to find out that there is a piece of foundational junkie cinema that has yet to be covered on this podcast. But the omission of RAD from the junk food Cinema catalog is deeply disturbing and in a sense a trader's betrayal of our core values.
Speaker 2: Yes, but we have a good excuse, is.
Speaker 1: It because we did BMX bandits and just got completely Mandela affected into thinking we did this one okay?
Speaker 2: And we did that shortly after I had rewatched RAD and showed Jes for the first time, and we met. I believe we mentioned RAD in the episode and a couple of items for it, So it feels like we've talked about it, and it's hard to get through an episode of Junk Food Cinema without me saying the word RAD. So I can't imagine, you know why our brains think we've covered this masterpiece.
Speaker 1: Social psychologists for years. After this show is dead and gone, we'll study it and trying to figure out what the fuck is wrong with me and Cargil. But until that time, let us now write this most egregious of oversights, because Cargil, at the end of the day, only we can make it right by standing on our handlebars and releasing in a full voice as loud as the thunder in our hearts. Our adoration of nineteen eighty six is Rat.
Speaker 3: His name is crewe Hey, good looking BMX is his world. Rat is his way of life. The world would be a lot better off we.
Speaker 4: We're here for the biggest and most important bicycle motocross event ever held hell Track.
Speaker 2: This is a very important race.
Speaker 3: That are a finest riders in the country.
Speaker 4: You're here writing for some one hundred thousand dollars Heil Track.
Speaker 2: Just pick out.
Speaker 3: They've gotta be kidding.
Speaker 2: This is a joke. I really think I can get this one.
Speaker 4: I think I got a chance.
Speaker 1: I don't want to hear any more about it.
Speaker 3: Everyone's on his case.
Speaker 2: Get that.
Speaker 3: The paper boy thinks he's a pro. He's not the next Bart Taylor. He's got the style. There's something about the way you ride so naturally, and he's going to prove it.
Speaker 4: I've never seen this raw determination and talent against the factory hot shots.
Speaker 3: Looks like the local yocle's gonna race that. It's gonna take a miracle to beat this guy against the big money fixers.
Speaker 4: All you have to do is take out that kid against impossible odds.
Speaker 3: This guy doesn't even stand a chance. Yeah, yeah, he's going for it all rad.
Speaker 1: I am so excited to talk about this, to finally cross it off the list to fill in this weird memory pothole that both of us have had, and to say that this is accidentally an anniversary episode where it was definitely not intended, and claim very proudly that I have now seen RAD on the big screen and I'm super excited about that.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah.
Speaker 1: It was playing in selected theaters for like two days, and one of them happened to be yesterday, So I was like, fuck it.
Speaker 2: Oh oh it was yesterday because we were gonna record yesterday and I couldn't. Yeh that fuck yeah. That allowed you to see it on the big screen before we recorded. That's amazing, dude.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying is like all of these weird things that fell into place to make this the most rad RAT episode that ever ratted Radical Radical? Have you? Okay? So for those of you who haven't seen RAD, this is a movie about hell track this dastardly BMX race that's taking place in a small town, and it's about our hero, Crew Jones, who is a teenage BMX racer, uh, and he wants so desperately to win this race. Even though we're gonna talk about the weird like economical politics of BMX racing and how corporate it is evidently, and we'll get into all of that, but it's really just a movie. I mean, it's to Save the rec Center movie. If the rec Center is just personal pride, personal glory at being the best BMX racer in your town. And yeah, as we mentioned a moment ago, it's directed by Hal mother fucking need him, the Immortal hounding them.
Speaker 2: Yes, a man who never let the plot get in the way of a good story.
Speaker 1: And I love him for that. A patron saint of junk food cinema. I believe he hasn't earned he's earned that cannonization.
Speaker 2: I mean one of our first episodes is on his films, and we covered three or four of them over the years at the very least, and mentioned the rest. At some point.
Speaker 1: We've done Mega Force, We've done Hooper, We've done but I was gonna say, Butch Cassidy Smoking the Bandit is a very different film than Butch Kassidy and the Sundance Kid.
Speaker 2: Uh, didn't we do Cannonball Run? At one point?
Speaker 1: We have not done Cannonball Run yet.
Speaker 2: If you can believe that, I know we haven't done Cannonball Run too. I did that with someone else and we're unlikely to. We'll cover Cannonball Run two the same way we covered Eddie and the Cruisers to Eddie lives.
Speaker 1: Eddie lives, he lives, Canniball Runs. I don't know. I don't know if that's the same situation there.
Speaker 2: Now there's no exclamation points.
Speaker 1: And also, as we mentioned, this is a movie he filmed in Alberta, Canada, so essentially this is a Letter Kenny sports film fingernail. Again. I kind of feel like the stars have aligned perfectly for us to cover Rad right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, So what is your relationship with Rad? Cause you're younger than me. I was old enough to see this when it came out. I loved this. This was a whole ass meme. This was a movie we remembered for one scene, and pretty much one scene only, because functionally the movie is essentially like the plot of most other hou Need of movies in some way, shape or form. And we'll get into all of that. But so, it was a movie that you know, I saw on the big screen when I was a kid. You know, it came out when I was eleven, perfect fucking age for it, right when having a BMX bike was the coolest fucking thing in the world. Skateboarding was starting to become cool in the mainstream, but m was where it was fucking at. And I was all in on this fucking movie. And you know, it is formational in you know who Cargill is because Lori Laughlin in this movie, as we will get to, was kind of a whole eighties aesthetic. She you know, if there was an eighties version of the Manic Pixie dream Girl, it's Lori Laughlin in this fucking movie and caused a number of awakenings in the eighties. And so this is one of those movies that was formative for me.
Speaker 1: See, yeah, this is I believe a just post Austin move viewing for me. Uh it's you know, I was a little too young for it when it came out, but you know, I was one of those kids that really wanted to have the cool bike in the neighborhood. And I was the kid who tried to make little stunt tracks and you know, you know, right as fast as absolutely as I could and get hurt plenty of times. But I didn't see this movie until shortly after moving to Austin, and even then, in bits and pieces. It really wasn't until twenty nineteen that I sat down and watched it from start to finish. But my god, did I fall in love with this movie. It's kind of insane to think that I saw BMX Bandits before I saw Rad.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean BMX Bandits came out before Rad.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, that I know. But just like in the quantum leap of my life. Yeah, because temporal shit. Temporal alignment doesn't mean shit to me because BMX Bandits came out, I believe before I was even born, So I don't really think that's the prerequisite here. But it is kind of strange that BMX Bandits found its way into my heart before Rad. But once Rad got in there, there was thunder in that heart. I absolutely adored this movie. It represents everything I love about the eighties. But it also hammers home the idea that howning Him can shoot anything on any vehicle and make it look cool, and I applaud him for that.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean, that's when I said earlier about how he never lets the plot get in the way of a good story. The classic Joe Bob Briggs reference, the thing about how need him is he was one of the greatest stunt coordinators of all time. All he developed several stunts that you see regularly on screen that he developed the safety apparatus to do the stunts. He would not have anybody do a stunt he himself wouldn't do. That's what the whole movie Hooper's about is about the life of a stuntman and how he eventually, you know, had to move on and go into directing because you know, there's only so much your body can take. And yet he put together amazing stunt teams and would stunt coordinate his own films, and so his films are essentially frameworks for stunts, and he knew how to make a really enjoyable, emotional, very core base experience. Like he's never trying to do anything deep in any of his movies. He's just trying to show off how badass his boys are. And man is his team always up to the task. And here he collected up a whole bunch of actual BMX stunt riders and built a whole film around them. And this is a movie that is absolutely showcasing real badass is doing really real things. And he always knows where to put the camera and how fast to be running that film through that camera to get the perfect fucking shot.
Speaker 1: So, in addition to watching the movie again, in addition to going through the research provided by our research team, and in addition to seeing Rad on the big screen, in preparation for this episode, I also watched a RAD documentary which is from just last year, and in the documentary they have some stock footage of how Needham and they talk about the making of this film. And I think this process of preparation for the episode, more than anything else, has crystallized the fact that I want to be how Needham when I grow up. Like the guy is. It's just brilliant and funny and charming and humble, but also like living in.
Speaker 2: Burt reynolds pool house for twelve years.
Speaker 1: Dude, basically the if you liked Once upon a Time in Hollywood. The relationship between Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Bitt is completely one hundred percent stolen from the relationship between Burt Reynolds and Hal Needham one percent.
Speaker 2: That's exactly exactly what Quenton was doing in that movie.
Speaker 1: But there's just something so inspiring about the way he approaches work, about how excited he is about his work, and I learned so much about not only how he made this movie, but who he was as an artist. And one of the things that's really interesting is that rad is the first movie he worked on where he didn't know more about the stunts being performed than the stunt performers did, because he wasn't familiar with BMX writing. This was a fairly new thing in the late eighties. And what that means is this guy who was known for being a legend in this industry, for being a shed figure for the art of stunt performing, a guy who was also known to be kind of a task master, like Hey, I want this stunt, we gotta get it done, and there's no pussy footing around it, like let's make it happen. Suddenly is dropping back and giving a tremendous amount of grace and leeway to the young BMX writers, who would you know, be the stunt performers in this movie and in some of the actors as well. And it's just really interesting to hear him talk about how he kind of had to take a step back and go, Okay, you guys, show me what you can do. What's the what is the capacity of this vehicle and then figure out how to shoot it, working very much in collaboration with them, And I just love that because it's the thing that works best about this movie. I'll just rip this band aid off right up top. I think the thing that absolutely works best for this movie in terms of its legacy is the weird chocolate and peanut butter of the old Hollywood sensibilities of hol Needham and the completely new teenage sport of BMX writing. Like, those two worlds colliding make for a very interesting film because you have all of these performers who are doing these incredible things on these bikes that you know, when rad came out a lot of people had never seen before. But then you also have a dance number, do you know what I mean? Like there's there's all of these little trappings of what an old school teen film would be smashed right up against what we know an eighties teen teen film looks like. And I love the at times disparate but always wonderful smashing up of those two things.
Speaker 2: After these messages, we'll be right back.
Speaker 3: Seven Eleven's got it.
Speaker 4: It's your wave, not microwave hamburger, cheese, burger, all beat hot Hammon cheese barbecue too.
Speaker 3: We got it good for han tastes. It are red hot, right, get it hot.
Speaker 4: Get it fast, get it good, and right now you'll get any one of these hot new sandwiches just sixty nine cents.
Speaker 3: Get us yeah good.
Speaker 4: A great new hot set, which is like you're like a seven eleven.
Speaker 1: The other thing that that comes about of this union between old Hollywood and you know, eighties teen film is the fucking cast of this movie. Oh yeah, like hal Ninam, isn't just like I'm gonna go out and find a bunch of young, somewhat unknown actors. I'm gonna get Olympic gymnasts to play the bully in the film. I'm gonna I'm gonna do a lot of the things that you would expect from a sort of low budget teen film in the eighties. But then on top of that, I'm gonna cast uh, you know, guys like like Ray Walston, I'm Jack Weston and Jack Weston. I'm gonna get tally a fucking Shire.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, we need a Coppola in this movie. Let's go.
Speaker 1: We need a couple of Coppolas in this movie, at least one. So we're gonna get Talia Shire, who's not only not only plays the mom in this movie, but also her and her husband and produced it. And there's a whole fascinating story about that that we'll get into. But I mean, like HB.
Speaker 2: Haggarty, HB.
Speaker 1: Haggarty, HB, which by the way, was who was a professional wrestler, So you better fucking believe the HB stood for hard boiled jung fud.
Speaker 2: Alums know HB. Haggarty. He's one of the guys that the minute you see him, you smile. You may not know that name, but you remember him from the Muppet movie, you remember him from Foxy Brown, like you remember him from these movies that he did and all these TV appearances that he did where you just he's unmistakable.
Speaker 1: It's just it's an incredible cast that they've put together around these these young actors. And then of course Lori Laughlin in this movie just showing up just long enough to remind everyone how anyone within her eye line will instantly fall in love with Lori Laughlin.
Speaker 2: Convicted Fella, Lori Laughlin.
Speaker 1: You know it's true. It's true.
Speaker 2: That's the thing is that we feel so conflicted. It's very easy to like be like, oh, convicted fella, It's like, yeah, but it's laur Laughlin.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 2: Look at those brown eyes. Man, come on, come on, I get it here. I'm not made of wood people.
Speaker 1: We're not made of wood. She is a man at Pixie dream girl. She might be the scourge of academia, but she is still an absolute cinema darling.
Speaker 2: And she might she might turn into a man mid stunt. So apart from.
Speaker 1: That, don't worry about that. Don't worry about who's in those white hands. Don't worry about that for a second. Yeah, Laura Laughlin truly is an angel. Like send me an angel, send me Lori Laughlin. Oh wow, she just been with me a thousand dollars for saying that, Laurie, I would have said it for free.
Speaker 2: But no, no, no, she's trying to get her kid into college.
Speaker 1: Sorry, yes again, I'm doing a bit. But it does, it does become a weird foreshadow that she's giving Crewe advice on college admissions in this movie that actually fucking happens.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean you're waiting for the mem where she goes just pay your way into college with the ten thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, then she's like, you know, you can like take a year, Like he doesn't even understand how college works. She's like, you know, if you don't take the SATs now, you can take them again, and like you could take like a few months off and go to college the next semester. It's like he had never thought of that as an option. He thought if he didn't take the SATs right then and there, he would never go to college. And she has to be the one like ushering him through the process of college admissions, which, again, because it's Lori Lachlan, feels really fucking weird. Yeah, it's it's a little bizarre, uh, but yeah, And because it's an eighties teen movie, we've got to have a blonde bad guy, right. The bad guy has to be an arrogant, towheaded little shit And in this Miniszka Minnie Zapka played by Bart Conner in this movie playing Bart Taylor and before, as I mentioned before, he became an actor. This is his first movie. He was an Olympic gymnast. He was the youngest member of the seventy six men's Olympic gymnastics team and he won two gold medals at the nineteen eighty four Olympics, and in the documentary he says that he has remembered way more from this movie than he ever was for winning gold medals at the Olympics.
Speaker 2: I mean, sidebar, we treat our Olympians like dog shit.
Speaker 1: This is true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, this is this is why you know, in the Year of Our Lord twenty twenty six, Snoop Dogg is out and Flava Flave is in. And why because Flava Flave has been standing up for our many women Olympians who aren't getting supported and he's paying to back them, just like in this movie. He found out they couldn't go to the Olympics if they didn't have backing of a support, and he became that support and now is a hype man for Olympians And I think that's the coolest shit ever. And uh yeah, that is a that is a thing.
Speaker 1: So I'm just gonna go ahead and burn this twenty twenty six Bingo card, Like at this point, it's worthless to me. This is insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, none of us, none of us had any of this on the bing Go card.
Speaker 1: I mean, it doesn't make sense given that he is one of the greatest hype men in the history of hip hop. So that's literally what he would do in those Public Enemy tracks, as he would just be like in the background like yeah, yeah, boy, like that's this whole thing. Uh.
Speaker 2: By the way, have you listened to their new album yet?
Speaker 1: I have. There's Shut the fuck Up. Public Enemy has a new album.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it sounds exactly like they made it in nineteen eighty nine, and it fucking rips.
Speaker 1: Let's fucking go. That is Rad Cargil. That is the first of many things in this episode that I find Rad Rad Rad. You know what else I find Rad is Bartrad Brad Bart's double trouble cronies Rod and Rex Reynolds in this movie.
Speaker 2: You mean the Reynolds twins.
Speaker 1: The Reynolds twins, the other Reynolds twins. Uh yeah, it's always It's always Sunny and Alberta as well.
Speaker 2: Uh uh yeah. You know that Jessica's maiden name is Reynolds and she is a twin. I married one of the Reynolds twins.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, you're gonna die.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: But they look identical. By the way, I don't know if you caught this to the Cobra twins. And g I Joe. Oh yeah, Brah Tomas and zeymot yep. First of all, who decided to name them Tomax.
Speaker 2: And Zaymot someone who got paid way too much in nineteen eighty two.
Speaker 1: That show was drawn on individual cells of cocaine, Like we all need to just be aware of this. Pure Nicaraguan gold was used to make that Gi Joe cartoon. You better fucking believe it, like you could. I'm sorry you couldn't find a snake name that worked forwards and backwards. Tomax and Zaymot, like they both sound like stores my mom would drag me to when the jeans at Target were too expensive. What the fuck is happening right now? It also doesn't help that in the dance sequence, which we're gonna fucking get to, don't you worry about it, they're not helping themselves in this comparison. They're wearing silver spacesuits that were literally borrowed from the mini series v.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah no, Like you see them and you're like, oh, that's me, and then you look into the background you're like, oh, wait no, those were actually borrowed from.
Speaker 1: B Again, there's gonna be a lot of things that are said in this episode that are gonna sound like bits that are not fucking bits.
Speaker 2: There's a reason why as silly as this movie is, as simple as this movie is, it is still legendary forty years later. It got played in theaters forty years later, and it's rocking a six point seven out of ten on IMDb, which for a movie like this is astoundingly high.
Speaker 1: It's a B movie if the B stands for be lovid. This is a beloved eighties film.
Speaker 2: Because it does. We can make fun of a lot of the silliness, we can make fun of the flaws. But this is a perfect example of what we talk what we talk about when we say it's not a good movie. It's a great movie. Like you can make fun of it, but it's hard as in the right place. It's fun. Everybody is doing their damnedest to make this the most enjoyable movie possible, and it's never fucking boring. It is always entertaining, even in slow mo as sliding.
Speaker 1: Slow moo as sliding. Here's what I'm gonna say, Cargol. I'm gonna take our mind one step further and say that I do not think this is a bad movie at all. I think this is a tremendously cheesy film.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: I think it wears its heart on its sleeve in a way that is a little cringe at times. But at the same time, it's hard to fault a movie for doing that, especially when you revisit it in this day and age, like there is something so endlessly pure and charming and wonderful about rad And when it comes to the actual shooting of the action sequences, because you've got hal need them, and you've got the best BMX writers in the country at the time performing in the movie, it's an absolute legitimate marvel. Like you don't need to apologize for one frame of the action shots in this movie.
Speaker 2: Nope, So you.
Speaker 1: Need them, you need you need them. This movie in your life is what we're trying to say. When Hall Track comes to town and you have the chance of winning one hundred thousand dollars and a new Chevy Corvette and the fame that goes along with winning Hell Track, you participate in Hell Track, the SATs be damned, I'm sorry, college will still be there. The hell Track is where we need to focus all of our attention. What I really love here is that they are so committed to getting BMX culture correct even though it is a brand new thing. So like there's a lot of Vans sponsorship all over this movie. Jack Weston is literally playing a character who owns Mongoo's Bicycles, which is a real fucking bicycle brand that is still around to this day. Oh just some random corporate fat cat. He's the owner operator of Mongoo's Bicycles.
Speaker 2: And Mongoos was really big at the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's like we're just trying, we're trying so hard to make sure that we're doing justice to this weird new subculture. And that's that's a testament to hell. Need Him. It's like, I don't want to make a shitty movie about about BMX bikers. I want to make the movie about BMX bikers.
Speaker 2: I mean, look this, this was always the thing with need Him. It's what's really interesting about his films. You know, when he made Smoking in the Bandit, he dug deep into trucker culture and he got into that and CB culture. That was something they did. He did a deep dive and represented to the point that it was already popular, but he helped push that over, you know, over the line Cannonball Run was based on a very real event, and he dove deep into that and got into that. You know, he he was always paying attention to the things that he was, uh he was directing and making sure that you know it, it got the culture right, because that's one of the things about these these various hobby cultures is that they are real cultures and they really do have whole systems to them and work in certain ways that are fascinating. And that he was like, well, what if I do what I did with Hooper and put you know, stuntman culture out there, but treat other people's cultures with that same respect. And that's how he got megaphors.
Speaker 1: And megaphce the good guys always win, even in the eighties.
Speaker 2: No, but I mean, like you look at you know, stroker Ace and how much he put into, you know, getting stock car culture and body Slam, which is a favorite of a friend of ours, which you know, is all about trying to get wrestling culture right in the mid eighties. And so he's really almost all of his films are like taking some kind of sporty or competitive culture and diving into it and making a movie about that. And literally I mentioned megaphors because it's like the only one maybe that in the Villain, where arguably the villain might you know, be Yeah, I mean I don't even know what to say about the villain at this point. I haven't talked about it in ten years.
Speaker 1: Have you ever wanted to know what it would be like if a Wiley coyote cartoon was made for real and populated with human beings instead of animated roadrunners and coyotes, because that's the villain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just realized. I realized we had memory hold it. This is why we thought we'd covered this. We did a Hall Needum panel together at Convergence years ago and talked about it there.
Speaker 1: We did, We absolutely did, and we.
Speaker 2: Talked about the villain there as well, because we haven't done an episode on the villain, but we've talked about it, and I was like, we've talked about it. I was like, Oh, this is why we memory hold this fucking thing. This is holy shit.
Speaker 1: Well, I think to put a button on what it is you're saying though about how Neat his approach is similar to Golan and Globist in terms of like, what is a popular thing right now, let's make a movie about it. But the difference is how Needam goes into that focused on the art. Golan and Globists go into that focused on the commerce. Right. So it's like where Goldin and Globus are like, what's popular with the kids right now, break dancing? Let's make a break dancing movie, and they go into it and they make Breaking, which is fine, like we love Breaking, but and then they would do it again with like, oh what else do the kids love Lumbarda. It's like do they think.
Speaker 2: And yes, we did it was it was for three months, but we did love it.
Speaker 1: Well, That's what I'm saying is this like how do we how do we capitalize on this? Whereas how Needam's like, how do I do this thing justice? How do I make the best version of that movie? How do I tell that Fad story? And he is a consummate artist, And I think that's why Rad you know, continues to have the legacy that it does today. I mean, how how Needam says in the documentary, if you find a radfan, they're a fan, like there is no in between, which I think and in fact, hol Needham refers only to Smoking the bandit and Rad as his quote classics. So he he loves this movie as much as we do. And I think that's a tremendous testament to why this movie is still so good. You know, so many years later, so many decades later.
Speaker 2: After these messages, we'll be right back.
Speaker 4: Could seven eleven offer the same kind of fountain soft drink value as fast food places, Sure, but you'd get lots less for your money because we'd have to cut our forty four ounds Super Big Gulp in half down to their twenty two ounce size ounce four ounce, Our super Big GLP gives you almost twice as much for your money.
Speaker 3: We even give you your choice of coke or Pepsi.
Speaker 4: They don't. Seven eleven's biggest drink is your best value, and that's what makes our forty four ounds Super Big Gulp super.
Speaker 1: But of course, the other reason we love Rad is the fucking soundtrack.
Speaker 2: I mean, they sent me an angel.
Speaker 1: They few movies have the courage to break the ice, the confidence, the downright to marity to let you know how rad they are from frame uno, and the radness of Rad is on full display as the first few notes of Break the Ice play and bmx's are flying into freeze frame above the camera. If you don't know from the first few seconds whether you like this movie, turn it off like it's like it's it's not for you if it doesn't grab you immediately, like this movie is rad from Jump Street and I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fuck ice, break.
Speaker 1: It, break the ice. This movie is ahead of its time. Fuck ice, break the ice. Dare I say, Hal Needham breaks the ice for this ninety two minute discussion on radical bikesmanship and I could not be here for we needed a montage cargo and that's just what we fucking got.
Speaker 2: Well. One of the things I love it about this movie is it has almost as many montage as as the cutting edge.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying that the radness of rad could not be contained, It could not even be slightly mitigated by a pea soup fog that would make John Carpenter remark out loud, g that's a lot of fog. He's shooting montages in the fucking fog because he knows the audience is going to be looking at the gray background that makes it look like they're in a warehouse in o Hi. You're just gonna be focused on the guy in the foreground. Like up on one wheel, spinning the bike underneath him as he hops. Even if he had a montage montage, John Farnham is an elite company. I feel like Robert Tepper, John Farnham, uh, you know, obviously Survivor and of course possibly the king of the montage, the log Dog Like, those are your A listers when you're talking about the music of montage in the eighties, those are your absolute A listers. And this movie, like the balls of this movie, the fucking soundtrack in this movie is so goddamn good that literally cargil. It has two of the best montage songs of the.
Speaker 2: Eighties, and shit songs are they?
Speaker 1: That is Break the Ice and Thunder in Your Heart, Like, those are two of the best montage songs of the eighties, and they're both from the same film, from the same film, from the same guy, because they're both John Farnham.
Speaker 2: And I love how You're skipping over Send Me An Angel, which is the best montage in the movie.
Speaker 1: It's the best montage in the movie. But that song, that song doesn't even feel like a montage song to me. That sounds just like a powerful love ballad that happens to play over one of the greatest sequences ever committed to film, and we will fill It was a.
Speaker 2: Huge hit on the radio and still played to this day on your your name stations. You're Jack, You're Bob, You're Chris FM. Whatever, Chris FM. Boy, that sounds like a Christian station. I don't want to listen to.
Speaker 1: Now NonStop our block of jars of Clay DC talking the newsboys, let's go on, Chris f M. Your volume, Knob has risen, like, no, fucking thank you, car Gill, No thank you at all.
Speaker 2: You didn't stick around for the Amy Grant block. Boy, You're right, I didn't carget Baby Baby.
Speaker 1: Even when they tried to go super hip with the kids and play like pod, I was like, I'm sorry, I'm already out, or like the first Creed album, like no, no, I'm sorry, I can't. I can't do any of this, which is crazy because there has been a complete one eighty on both Creed and nickelback that I am a thousand percent on board with because I always wondered why, like I understand the backlash against Creed because Creed Scott Staff had a major christ complex, like a major major Messiah complex. Nicoback didn't do shit to anybody, and yet they got lumped in with that and we all hated them for so long, and now guys my age are like, oh wait a minute, that was like good music from our youth. Why are we throwing the baby out with the bathwater six feet from the edge of the window. And I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater, as it turns out, but this.
Speaker 2: Soundtrack, Oh, that was a good period of music.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying it it you'll, it's been it's being re evaluated, and I appreciates that.
Speaker 2: Is that what you appreciate?
Speaker 1: That's what I appreciates about Creed. Allegedly, hell Needam, according to the documentary, by the way, had nothing to do with putting the soundtrack together, but he knew how good it was as soon as he heard it. Like again, I love that. Hal Needham, who was such a hands on, you know, borderline control freak when it comes to his movies, is like I need to let somebody else take the reins of Like I'm gonna listen to my writers because this is a sport I don't know, and I'm going to trust my mute usic supervisors because we're making a movie for teenagers, and I'm not connected with their music, but as soon as he heard this soundtrack, he's like, we've got fucking gold. And he did have gold because this soundtrack is like, it has a pulse. It's the living heartbeat of the sound of the nineteen eighties, not just for montages, but just for popular music in general. And I think again, it's one of the things about this movie that is forgive the repetitiveness super Red Brad. Should we talk about it? Should we talk about the bicycle boogie cargo?
Speaker 2: I mean, we can't talk about this and not talk about the bicycle boogie. I mean, first you get a Reynolds Twins dance sequence, and then that gets interrupted by the bicycle boogie.
Speaker 1: Again, it's just this old Hollywood mentality of like, we're making a movie for teens, it's gotta have a dance number. It's like, what, like what is this Saturday bike Fever? Are you buzzby bikeley? Like why are we putting a dance sequence? Because that's the thing. If you're making a movie about BMX riders and you want to have a dance sequence, they have to dance on their bikes, and they do. They dance. Dear God, send me an angel because I watch this scene and I am dead.
Speaker 2: And they slowly fall in love during it.
Speaker 1: It's incredible. So, you know, this hell track is coming to town. Jack Weston's bringing his team from Mango's Bicycles because everything is corporatized in BMX riding evidently, and they are there to be celebrities. He has to sell these this team to the town as being the coolest, hottest young people ever conceived. So they show up at this town hall for a meet and greet dance and God love them. Between the g I, Joe Cobra twins and not quite Zabka, not a single fucking one of them can dance. And yet the fucking like dj' is like, oh man, look at him, bust to move. Is there anything this kid can't do? And I'm like, yeah, dance because he's terrible at it. Absolutely, So it's funny that that is immediately followed by, you know, the a female member of this team, Lori Lochlin, who started to kind of get sweet on Crewe, the local boy, and the two of them are like, all right, you think that's cool, fuck it watch this and then lights go out and the first few notes of Send Me an Angel just come up in this room, and the next thing we know, they're slowly moving around this dance floor, like pirouetting around each other while doing wheelies. They're standing on the handlebars, they're like posturing. It is so grandiose and so amazing, Like it's something that I feel like is not only a centerpiece of this movie, but one of those perfect encapsulations of what I look for, the kind of like complete commitment and yet audacity that I look for whenever I'm wanting to discover films. This is exactly the type of thing that I hope to see in every new film into my eyeballs.
Speaker 2: Hell fucking yes.
Speaker 1: And you mentioned at certain points it's not Lorie Locke Clynn.
Speaker 2: Oh no, oh no. There's a few shots where the stuntman takes her place.
Speaker 1: So the character of Crew is loosely based off of Eddie Fiola, who is a BMX writer who did most of Bill Allen, the guy that plays Crew, he did most of his stunts.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And there's a couple of moments during this dance number where Eddie Fiola, who does a lot of the stunt work not only for Crew, but for Lori Lachlan as well, and he's the one like in a Wig and White Jets pretending to be Lori Lochlan in this sequence. But I also love that how Neinam built like this rotating sort of lazy Susan stage and then he locked the bikes to it so they could sit on the bikes and look like they're spinning around, you know, the actual actors, Like it's such a cool thing. Like the way he shoots this movie is absolutely incredible because that's that's one of the things that hal Ninham does is he does a lot of wide shots. It's all masters, not a lot of close ups, and he uses that to such great execution this movie because he shoot all these races from all these different angles. And I also love that a lot of the professional writers in this movie thought that they were gonna do the whole race and it would actually like trip them up and he'd be like, okay, cut, He's like, what do you mean cut? Like no, no, no, no, we don't we don't shoot the whole race. We shoot it in pieces. And they were just like what do you mean, Like they couldn't they couldn't wrap their heads around just not doing the entire race, and it's like, no, we shoot it in segments, and we shoot it from multiple angles. And that's why this movie looks so goddamn good mm hmmm, because of the way he shoots where it's just like, we're gonna we're gonna set up all these cameras and have you do portions of the race for real. If the the plot points were then built around what happened in the race he film, So if the stuntman standing in for the hero happens to fall, that's the moment the hero falls in the film and has to get back up. If his buddy crashes out and can't finish the race, his buddy crashes out and can't finish the race, that becomes like you said, never letting a plot get in the way of the story away is what it is. Yes it is, Yes, it absolutely is. And then treating watching the dailies as a mini rap party every day, like I can only imagine how amazing it was to be on this set.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, yeah, if you're watching, you're watching the dailies and watching everybody do stuff. I mean, because that's one of the things when you're performing stunts you never get to see what you're doing, and to be able to then sit down and watch what you just did filmed by people who really know how to fucking film it, that's got to be fucking fun. Plus we all know Needham was as fond of the drink as I am, so that was probably a fun set at rap time.
Speaker 1: Oh one thousand percent, especially when he was paying some of these guys five hundred dollars per injury, Like it's like if you get hurt's five hundred bucks. So like you had guys like literally pushing themselves to do crazier and crazier shit just because they knew if they got hurt they would get extra money from Hal Needham. Which is that a responsible way to run a set? No? No, does that sound exactly like a way how Needham would run a set, Yes, it fucking does.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, no, that's no. Incentivizing injury is never a good thing when it comes to your insurance. So it just but also how Needum sets were known for that kind of shenanigan, So you know, yeah, you know this is a guy who used stuntman and live explosives all the time, because fuck yeah.
Speaker 1: It's like I'm Hal Needam. You gave me three billion dollars to sneak away to Alberta and make a movie about BMX writers. I'm gonna do it the hell Needham Way. And again this is why I say I want to be Hal Needham when I grow up. But this is all stuff that I learned from the documentary. One of the things I learned is that so they built this hell track right, and the Hell track itself apparently caused it caused a delay in shooting because the Hell Track starting ramp was so high. Initially none of the writers wanted to go down it, so they actually had to cut the ramp down to the twenty five foot tall version that's in film Like. BMX Plus magazine actually published an article about it at the time because they had to stop shooting and shave some feet off of that thing because all the professional writers are like, you are a goddamn mad man, Hell need Him. Nobody's going down that thing. But it's also like hell Trek is so what an old stunt icon would think is a suitable BMX track, Like it's not just the insane drops, it's not just going over these crazy terrains at one point they go in and out of a giant cereal bowl structure, like they're dipping down into the bowl before they springboard off the spoon handle. And I'm like, I'm sorry, did Wayne's the Lynx?
Speaker 3: Wait?
Speaker 2: Hold on back, go back and use that lingo against.
Speaker 1: Her the springboard off the spoon handle?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, it just it seemed really super technical.
Speaker 1: No, I'm I I just make because it looks like a giant fucking spoon like it literally looks like Wayne Zelensky designed this thing, like Honey Shrunk the BMX ers.
Speaker 2: I mean, oh, I was under the impression that springboarding off of the spoon handle was a BMX stunt I was unfamiliar with.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: I think it's a term for taking heroin that you could hear in one of the Red Hot Chili Peppers albums. I don't know that for sure, but I'm sure they have a song called springboarding the spoon handle on one of their albums, for sure.
Speaker 3: Not on a lot.
Speaker 2: After these messages, we'll be right back. Have you heard the latest fresh idea? It's something new, something good.
Speaker 4: Seven eleven's new super dog a plump Fresh one quantity meat hot dog top with our own special spicy chili, cheese and fresh onions.
Speaker 3: Even the price is delicious.
Speaker 2: Try super dogs.
Speaker 4: They're fast, fresh and fixed, just the way you like them at the place that's always got a fresh idea.
Speaker 3: Seven eleven.
Speaker 2: We also talk about for a second the fact that just being called hell Track, how the hell is there a movie made in nineteen eighty six that features hell track and doesn't involve summoning Satan when you get to the end of the race.
Speaker 1: Could so easily be a horror film. This could so easily be a horror film. And then I thought about the fact that, you know, this movie could have been called hell Track and probably attracted a few more you know, theatrical goers. Then I remember that originally, do you remember what the original title for rad actually was.
Speaker 2: No, I have no idea balls out? Now there is that great moment where that that line comes up, no balls out, as if as sliding wasn't enough as sliding in balls out. There's a lot of a lot of lingo in here.
Speaker 1: There sure is, Cargil, There sure is, And just for seventeen ninety nine, you can get all the lingo in this movie on two kissettes or two CDs. Call now no CODs.
Speaker 2: Uh, please allow four to six weeks for delivery.
Speaker 1: Pure Balls, the CD collection about the Lingo in rad with your favorite song Springboard the Spoon, No like, but Smith has that line. Sargia Smith, who, by the way, apparently just sits around the town and waits for He's weirly, kind of a wily coyote character. He just sits around his motorcycle waiting to see a BMX biker. Not them doing anything wrong, he just likes to chase them. And that's why we get this sequence where you know, we're riding around the lumberyard and going up and down these massive piles of wood, and you know, you just got this former NWA wrestler, former NFL linebacker chasing these dudes on a motorcycle. And he gets that line he tells crew, hey, go balls out, which before they changed the title was probably like the trailer moment. I'm sure he was pissed about that.
Speaker 2: Maybe. Well, you know, I love this character so much. You know, it's one of the things that I really it's just so wonderfully big hearted about this movie is that Sergeant Smith is kind of portrayed as a bad guy, as an antagonist, but he actually isn't He said this good nice cop, like wh' who does his job? And like he shows up outside and you get the impression that he's taunting these kids. He's just having a good time. He's playing with the kids. He's letting them ride around and treating him like, hey, kids, if I catch you, you're in trouble and having a good time, like he's doing it for fun. And I think that's kind of fucking neat.
Speaker 1: One of the things about how Ningham as a filmmaker, and they talk about this in the documentary, is that he loved to get the community involved when he was making a movie like that was one of his big things. Is he wanted to make He wanted to make it feel like it was an experience for everyone. And I think I think that's why the moral of this movie is that mighty corporations are no match for a consortium of local small business owners.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like I said, Jack Weston, he's the president of Mango's Bicycles, which again is a real company, but he does all this we and delan and bribing. He's corrupt, and yet it's the town that comes together to raise the fifty thousand dollars to pay the exorbitant sponsorship tax or whatever you want to call it. The company that sponsors you has to be worth fifty thousand dollars or you don't get to participate in hell Track and all of this just because he doesn't want his on staff bikers to be shown up by the local boy. And more than half of that money is provided by mister Timmor who's played by Ray Walston, who throughout the movie, much like Sargent Smith, seems like they are very annoyed by the local BMX writers. But when push comes to shove, Sargent Smith is at that meeting like, we need to stand up for these boys, We need to help them achieve their dreams. So that's like his he's a former wrestler, right, So that's his face turn right there. And I love it. And honestly, the moment where Ray Walston coughs up the additional twenty seven thousand dollars that the rest of the town wasn't able to raise, it's a legitimately moving moment.
Speaker 2: No, he did, absolutely, Like it's one of those things that really works for this I also loved at one of the things he always does is he always has like these weird goofball characters who are the antagonists. Yeah, and like you've talked about Jack Weston, but Jack Weston's number two is Alpi Wise, Yes, who we sadly lost last year, but is also in you know, several of the films, like he plays Batman and Canniball Run. He's the patrol man in Traffic Jam. But here he's playing a similar role to what we've seen other characters play in these hound Eedo movies, which is like the Father and Son and Smoking the Bandit and he's the idiot, you know, sidekick that adds a little light humor to it, because the bad guys can never be truly competent.
Speaker 1: Well, this movie sheds light on an important issue of the time, one that I previously had little to know knowledge of, which is wild considering it's evidently as scandalous as Reagan's I ran contra Quagmire, and I'm speaking, of course, about the out and out corruption of factory riders in competitive BMX racing. And you know, is it ethical for the president Mongoose Bicycles to also be the founder of the Federation of American Bicyclists Yep, fab in rad. You race for FAB and I think that's amazing. It's essentially the NFL of BMX racing.
Speaker 2: BAB is my favorite eighties diet soft drink.
Speaker 1: FAB. Yeah, FAB has half the sugar but twice the caffeine. And that would be like Ladies and gentlemen meet the new Commissioner of Professional Baseball, Lewis Villslugger. It's just like, wait, you owned the bikes and you also owned the league, Like it doesn't make sense, and the dude just changes the rules whenever he wants to exclude amateur riders who threaten the winning reputation its factory riders. But not before, mind you bribing the amateur rider to throw the race so that his sponsored factory boys look like an unstoppable winning machine. Thus he sells more bicycles. I cannot wait cargil for the ESPN thirty for thirty documentary that will inevitably be made about this that I assume it is called Hell on Wheels or maybe Break the Vice. Perhaps I don't know, but I can't wait for that documentary.
Speaker 2: Bm dash e x ooh oh should I should be a you? Should?
Speaker 1: I should be a writer Jesus fucking Christ. It's good. It's all fucking good. But yeah, I mean when the town comes together to support you know, crew at the end of the movie, and they're selling shirts. By the way, I'm gonna get my hands on one of those fucking shirts. Like I've found several places online that sell that exact shirt. I'm gonna get it. Dude. I'm sorry I couldn't have worn it last night to the screening because had I had that shirt, I absolutely would have worn it to the screening. But yeah, I highly highly recommend tracking down the documentary, which again is just called a rad documentary from last year because the documentary literally talks to everyone involved with the movie, including again stock footage from some interview from some I don't know when it was recorded because obviously we lost hell Needham a few years ago, but he's talking all about this movie. Yeah, and one of the stories that gets told in the vein of again, why I want to be hol Needham when I grow up. Two days before they were set to shoot the actual Hell Track race, they had built this massive racetrack. Right, it's a dirt track and it rains, it's a downpour. They spent all this time building a massive dirt track that was now a massive mud hole. But did hell needam surrendered to the elements? No, never surrender, Fuck you, mama nature. I've got helicopters. So he had the studio fly out two massive industrial helicopters to hover over the track for hours until it was dry. Are you starting to understand? Are you starting to get the slightest inkling perhaps as to why I say I want to be holndeaed and when I grow.
Speaker 2: Up, I've always wanted to be handed and when I grow up?
Speaker 1: This is just this is a man who fucking lived by his own goddamn rules in service of his art. And his art was flipping cars, falling off of buildings, falling off of horses. It's just he's everything. He's a fucking hero man. I love the way he approaches everything. And Rad is no exception, because Rad is a movie that you know could have been written off. It's a movie that you know is a true blue cult classic because on a three million dollar budget, it only managed to rake in two million dollars, and it was not liked by critics, like not at all. Leonard Malton called it a straight up bomb something he reserved for movies he truly hated only but rad really ramped up its business on home video. It was released on VHS and laser disc in nineteen eighty six, was a top ten This is Insane cargo. It was a top ten video rental for two straight years after its release, two years of being in the top ten of video rentals across the country.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's yeah, we were all fucking watching it.
Speaker 1: That is wild.
Speaker 2: Sometimes sometimes you drop a movie in the wrong weekend, or you don't advertise it properly, or the studio doesn't get behind it in the right way. It's not put out there. I got to see it. But then again, I saw it on the big screen because I lived, as I've talked about in the past, on an Air Force base, and we got everything that came through and anything that looked remotely, you know, geared towards me. My parents would give me a dollar fifty and go go to the movie theater, get the fuck out of the house.
Speaker 1: That tracks. Yep, that hell tracks. But no, and then, even though it was such a massive hit on VHS and laser disc, we would not get an upgraded release until twenty twenty, when Vinegar Syndrome put out that four and that that really kind of broke my brain because I was like, why in the hell did it just disappear? This massively successful on home video film, this kind of cult classic disappears for that long turns out. Let's rewind to the part where I said the movie was produced by Talia Shire's company. Talia Shire did not like this movie. She did not think she was good in this movie. She did not think the movie was good, and she actually prevented it from getting updated releases throughout the years until twenty twenty. So is as much gravitaz as she brings to this movie, and as much as I think she's committing one thousand percent of this performance. I mean, she's Talia Shire. She can't give a bad performance. She's incapable of that.
Speaker 3: She defied me.
Speaker 1: I didn't do it to hurt you.
Speaker 3: It's not me you're hurting. They're willing to sacrifice building a solid future for a bicycle race. It's very self destructive.
Speaker 2: Oh Man. One of my favorite moments in this movie is when she's watching her son and her son is winning and she's so proud of him, and then she has her this this moment of tremendous acting where she has this look on her face where she just you can read her mind and she's going, oh, fuck, he's not going to college. And she realized and you know it's there in the subtext like she's frustrating. It's like, fuck, he's really good at this, but also, fuck, he's not going to college. He's gonna be working at that pizza joint his whole fucking life.
Speaker 1: He's gonna be he's gonna be boogie bikeen and as sliding with girls in this town for the rest of his life.
Speaker 2: That is that is one hundred percent correct. That's and that she the look is on her face when you guys rewatch this see it for yourselves. I ain't lying. It's there. You can see it in that moment you're like, oh god, oh fuck.
Speaker 1: Man, it's it's And it's so great too, because as we're watching the hell track scene where she's having this epiphany, what's confounding This is the one thing, the one knock against the movie that I have, the single knock against this movie that I have is that it is literally legendary for it soundtrack. This movie has montage songs, to spare. And yet as we're watching the hell track climax of the film, why is it scored by G. E. Smith in the Saturday Night Live Band? Like why why instead of a montage song? Are we getting incredibly saxy up in here? Because this is a jazzy fucking final score. I don't know what the fuck is going on.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's very nineteen eighty six.
Speaker 1: I'm just all I'm saying is either Crew is gonna win Hell Track or one of the boys in the Hood is about to get whacked. Like there is so much fucking saxophone at the end of.
Speaker 2: The Boys in the Hood always hard.
Speaker 1: Come talking that trash and we'll support our female Olympians.
Speaker 2: That's correct, Yeah, boy, yeah.
Speaker 1: Boy flave. I also think it's great that one of the reasons this movie was so successful on VHS is because in the late eighties early nineties, bicycle shops all over the country, which again it was starting to be a very prevalent thing all over the world. Yes, they were selling VHS copies of rad in the shops because that's kind of like, you know, a Christian store selling the Bible, right, This is this is the er text of what it is that we do. If you were into BMX riding, you need to watch rad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the thing to talk about. You know, we haven't done this in a while, So old man car Gil, that old man car.
Speaker 1: Gil, I forgot how old you were.
Speaker 2: There was a reason the X Games were such a big fucking deal because there were all these sports that weren't taken seriously that were taken very seriously by Gen xers. And finally, you know, it's literally where they got the name the X Games. It was the games for gen X. They were our sports and they were being taken and seriously for the first fucking time. So if you were into BMX, if you were skateboarding, if you were doing any of those what we now knew at we now call extreme sports, or as we call it the nineties extreme.
Speaker 1: Sports, Aha, Mountain two level extreme.
Speaker 2: This was a big deal. And so like anything that legitimized the sport would be heralded and worshiped. And so it was like, yeah, here's a real movie, a Hollywood movie with real Hollywood actors in it, that you recognized by a real Hollywood director acknowledging that we were real fucking sport. So they were all in on that, and that was a big part of the culture at the time.
Speaker 1: I just think this movie is such a fucking delight. From frame one where we get the opening morning sequence that shows us exactly what a movie based on the Nees game Paperboy would have looked like, you know, and then the sequence where Sergeant Smith is uh is just chasing them around the lumber yard, right and uh, and then all the way up to hell Track. And then when we get through Hell Track, we get to the end of hell Track and literally, Bart, who has been this asshole the entire movie, gets fired on the spot by Jack Weston and he rolls over to Crue and his crew and they decide to let him onto Team Rad. Like. It's just such a fucking wholesome ending, because unlike the ending of The Karate Kid, which by the way, is totally fucking unearned, where Zabka comes over like you're all right, LaRusso and it's like, no, I'm not shaking your fucking hand after you just tried to cripple me, you piece of shit. Sweep the leg, Johnny, I know what it is, Like, We're supposed to be friends after you can straight go fuck yourself, Johnny, I'm sorry. Hell no, That's why we made this entire other series about what happens when we're older, because this moment makes no sense. You don't have to do that with Rad because the only person that Bart fucks over during the race are his own teammates. He sells them out so that he can get a lead and knocks them out of the race. But at no point in this movie is he trying to kick crew or like throw something in the spokes. He does nothing shady. He's just trying to win the race. It's a straight up competitive moment between two guys at the top of their game. And at the end he comes over, he says great race, and they're like, hey, you should join team Rad. And it's completely believable because you haven't had that moment of Bart just being an irrerreprehensible piece of shit. So it's like it again. The movie wears its heart on its sleeve. And if that is why it gets labeled as cheesy, that's fine, but I think that's why the movie still works to this day.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, you need a little Rad in your life, you need some thunder in your heart. I saw it in theaters and it was amazing to see on the big screen. I wish there had been a few more classic trailers for you know, maybe maybe get some thrashing in there, some gleam in the cube, some BMX Bandits, which, by the way, Cargil, you are gonna this bit of trivia is gonna delight you. You dig it the most baby?
Speaker 2: Do you think it the most baby?
Speaker 1: In Argentina? This movie was sold. It was marketed as a sequel to BMX Bandits.
Speaker 2: That's some zombie two shit.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you, it's Argentina being the most Italian that Argentina has ever been.
Speaker 2: Mad respect mad respect BMX Bandits.
Speaker 1: To rad Rad and that brings us to the junk food pairing. And for this one, I'm gonna go with a big goalp a super dog and a VHS copy of rad from your local nineteen eighty six, seven eleven. Throughout this episode, you have been hearing commercials for seven eleven and you've probably been wondering, what the fuck? Why is that the theme? Why is that the audio bit that Brian went with. Well, it's not only due to the heavy sponsorship of hell Track, because seven eleven is all over all over. Uh. In fact, there is a deleted scene. You want to talk about the town coming together, right, being the theme of this movie. There's a deleted scene where Crew is gifted his new bike right before Helltrack by the local seven eleven manager. Because if you look really closely in the opening of the film and he's delivering newspapers.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, there's the bike for sale, the bike that you can win.
Speaker 1: It's a giveaway, yes, and the manager of that seven eleven gives it to Cruz so that he can have an even better bike for Helltrack has a better chance of winning.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It turns out that nineteen eighty six was an incredibly fateful year for the convenience store chain. In April of that year, they decided to stop carrying Hustler and Playboy magazines. So it looks like the mailman's going to have to send you your angels from from now on until the Internet is invented. But the biggest innovation for seven eleven stores in nineteen eighty six was the advent of movie rentals within the store locations.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, now that seven eleven has ninety nine cent movies, everybody's becoming a critic Silverado is a cinematic tour to fours.
Speaker 3: Don't you think it's a poetic lazing saddle.
Speaker 2: It's a new wave in Western In ten, your corner store had thirty to fifty VHS tapes and Circle K followed suit shortly thereafter, and I rented untold movies from seven eleven. In Circle K, seven eleven has all the top HiT's twenty four hours a day.
Speaker 4: You know, there's a photos dynamic for Strength to Rambo that you need.
Speaker 3: And the price.
Speaker 2: The Universal spent twenty two million on this baby, you hit it for only ninety nine sent Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like this was the like literally seven eleven first started doing this in nineteen eighty six. So the the the creation of rad and its success on home video corresponds directly with seven eleven starting to use a service called movie Quick. Right, so, in their American stores, this service was provided by movie Quick, but in the Canadian stores it was provided in partnership with a company called so Savas, which sounds like a gynecological disorder. I'm not really sure that's a terrible name. But it would therefore or not be outside the realm of possibility that you could walk into with seven eleven in nineteen eighty six, get a forty four ounce big gulp, grab yourself a super dog, and VHS copy of rad Rad one of the most popular rentals of that year and for the next two years, hence.
Speaker 2: Movies for ninety nine cents. Now it's seven eleven. I'm gonna take you a step further. The other thing you could do while you were there was hit the comic rack and get all your monthly comics. Yes, like I this was like going to when I was when I was eleven, twelve thirteen. I would walk off base to the circle k right out there, because there was a circle k right on the corner at the time of the base I was living at, and I would hike to the to the gate walk off base, and that was exactly what I would fucking do. I would go and get get me a dog. I would get me a big gulp of some kind, usually you know, probably a frozen coke slurpy if they had it. I would get my comic books. I would rent some movies, and I would go home and read comics and watch movies on a Saturday afternoon, and it was all done for my fucking convenience store. And if anybody ever wonders why the eighties were fucking heaven, it was partly that.
Speaker 1: That is truly red Brad.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, you need a greasy slice of pizza and some ice cold coke served in a wax cup.
Speaker 1: Oh the wax cup. Coke is a is a is a category unto itself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like the whole thing of you know, of him working in the pizza joint and all the pizza joint you know, adjacent elements, it just it's it's a greasy slice of pizza and a coke movie Like it just.
Speaker 1: Is the the alt I had for this junk food pairing, by the way, Cargill was get yourself a good amount of really slow cooked and well seasoned pork, but mash that down into burger patties and put it on Mini King's Hawaiian rolls to happen.
Speaker 2: An ass slider, some assa there it is. Puts it with some donkey.
Speaker 1: Sauce, with some donkey sauce. We're taking you to flavored town a on diners, drive ins and hell tracks. I would watch that fucking show, That's all I'm saying. Yeah, that was gonna be the junk food pairing until I fell down this seven eleven history rabbit hole, and then like finding out that the company that provided the rental service for the seven elevens in Canada bought the rental service Movie Quick that did it in the United States, and then because of the massive debt that they absorbed by doing that, they went out of business, which is why they stopped renting movies. So RAD has its fingers in the creation of and destruction of the movie rentals at seven eleven. Like it is there for all of it. The circles are all aligned, and it's incredible. It's one of the best rabbit holes I've ever fallen down. Hell yeah, that is rad. This is rad Rad. I'm so glad we finally covered. A happy fortieth birthday to this movie, one that I highly highly recommend that you check out at your earliest convenience cargo. Where can people find you? On the interwebs.
Speaker 2: You can find me talking smack on fucking Blue Sky at c Robert Cargill dot blue Sky dot Social. You can find my latest movie, Black Film two on Peacock, and you can find my previous film The Gorge streaming on Apple Plus.
Speaker 1: So when you tay so when you say talking smack are you are you saying talking trash or are you springboarding the spoon handle?
Speaker 2: I'm pissing off the bigots.
Speaker 1: That's a different dragon to ride. That's your tedness dragon, but a different one for sure. Thanks for joining us for this episode. You know where to find us. If you really like the show.
Speaker 2: I mean you really like the show.
Speaker 1: You like it more than we like as sliding on a Sunday afternoon, you can go to patreon dot com slash jun Food Cinema financially support the show. And as we close this lap around hell track, I'm gonna let Jack Weston enlighten you as to the consequences of not watching RAD this week in celebration of its fortieth You'll regret, and I'm telling you you'll live.
Speaker 2: Three You'll live, Oh sure, you'll all. You'll live.