Speaker 1: A beautiful summer Thursday afternoon here in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah. The sun is shining, and as it is every single day, it's good to have you along for the Riodte Spence Checket's behind the Mike, Porter Larsen beyond the Glass today producing the program marathon eight hour radio shift. Last night, it started at two ended about nine to forty five as we took you through the first round of the NBA Draft, and we are going to do the same tonight for the second round, where we will break down players that you've never heard of, and several of whom will never play in the NBA. But maybe we'll get, you know, a Draymond Green, a Paul Millsap, something like that a second round or that actually makes a difference. But we will talk draft today, We'll talk jazz today. We will talk the boldness of young Austin Ange and what it could mean for the Utah Jazz moving forward. A lot of people applauding what the Jazz did last night, a lot of A plus grades, a lot of celebration, and the fact of the matter is, we never know. We just have no idea how these young prospects are going to turn out. But Ace Bailey Walter Clayton Junior, the newest members of the Utah Jazz and Jazz Brass, seem to be very, very excited about who Austin Ainge described the two players that they viewed as best case scenario if they were able to walk away. Now, let me be clear, every team says that it's kind of like if you're a college football fan, national Signing Day rolls around. Yet we got everybody we wanted, we got everybody we offered. No, you didn't whire you the forty fifth ranked class in the country. But coaches are going to coach front offices are going to give you the front office spin. But I like it. I like what they did. We'll talk about it and we'll talk about what could be next for the Jazz. We'll talk some NBA off season, and we'll get to all the storylines surrounding Round one and get you ready for Round two tonight. There still are a ton of rumors flying about the Jazz during this offseason, what they could do, what they're looking to do. Minor trade made about thirty minutes ago. Clinton Nets, who've made all five of their picks last night, are trading number thirty six in the draft tonight to the Phoenix Suns for two future second round picks. The Sons have thirty six, fifty two, and fifty nine tonight as they continue to try to fill out their roster after moving on from Kevin Durant the Utah Mammoth. I almost sad hockey club, but we moved on from the Utah Mammoth. Made a trade yesterday. We'll talk about that on the show today. I like it. We're gonna say goodbye to a couple of young players. We're pretty exciting, but I think this is a good move by Bill Armstrong, who continues to impress me with his pedigree, his knowledge, and his ability to execute. So a lot to do on the show. Diego Luna was named an All Star yesterday, RSL's young midfielder. Second straight All Star appearance for Diego. The last time that happened for RSL was way back in twenty thirteen twenty fourteen, when the Wall of the wasats. Nick Ramondo himself made consecutive All Star Games. Kyle Beckerman did two Javea Morales. But been a while, Been a while, so we'll deal with RSL on the program today. In addition to all the other stuff that we have going on, Justin Tucker gets a ten weeks suspension. Of course, he was let go by the Ravens. Not a good look for Justin Tucker. We'll see if he gets picked up by any team. Not a lot of offseason NFL or college football news right now. Kind of a dead time for the sport that drives a lot of the content as fall is approaching. We're what sixty five days I believe away from kickoff for Utah football. But we got a lot to do on ZIP program today. Our first guest Richard Smith, who was alongside for Round one coverage of the NBA Draft last night, and we'll be back tonight to take us through Round two of the NBA Draft. We will take you up until the Jazz Draft and maybe we'll get lucky in the Jazz will trade the pick. Before we launch into the coverage, Smidi, you'll stop by. Pablo Master, Ronnie Head, coach of Ursel, will join us. Neil Smith, former general manager of the New York Rangers. We'll break down the Utah Mammoth trade adding a new winger, and we'll talk some offseason NHL we'll do some sports court on a Thursday, as we do all the time with our friends from Handy and Handy. We'll launch you into the five o'clock hour of the program, and then after we say good night, it's time for Round two of the NBA Draft with myself and Richard Smith right here AUDIESPN seven hundred, Richard Smith, Pablo mash Ruddy, Neil Smith's sports Court with our friends Handy and Handy. Me Spence check. It's all of you, the great listeners, and that guy Porter Larson, who is high. Not just high right now? You're high on Ace Bailey.
Speaker 2: Or I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm not judging.
Speaker 3: Maybe you know.
Speaker 1: I'm just snuck in something before the show. Just days Bailey just stays bag you like a little Ace Bailey, don't you.
Speaker 4: I think he's really talented.
Speaker 1: Here's the deal, Spence.
Speaker 4: I think the Jazz may have got the second or third most talented player in the draft. I don't necessarily think that he's going to be the second or third best player. I think Cooper Flagg has a really good cushion in that regard. I am really high on the number two pick. But listen, if you have a guy with that high of a ceiling at number five and you have the assets to move up later in the first round, it just made sense to take the best player available. And then if you are really high on a oh, I don't know, Walter Clayton Junior, you package a few things together, you move up a few picks, and you take that guy. And that is what the Jazz did. That is what they executed last night, and it feels like that was kind of what they planned on doing last night, and kudos to them for doing so. We'll see if it pays dividends. Obviously, one more pick this evening.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe we'll see pick fifty three. Most people who cover the draft believe it was top heavy and the death really isn't there. So the second round tonight, we'll see what it brings for the Jazz. Of course, if anything drops between now and tonight, we will bring it to you here on the program. Okay, our first guest will be Smitty live in studio. We're gonna break down what the Jazz did. We're gonna break down some NBA big picture conversation. We'll try to look at the Jazz rotation, figure out who's gonna start, figure out who's gonna play some minutes with Smitty? But before Smitty rolls in a stick studio on a beautiful Thursday afternoon, courtesy if our good friends and you're good friends too at Prize Picks, it's time now for your opening tip.
Speaker 5: Welcome to the Drive with Spence check its on Utah's number one sports talk now into the studios of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the Drive is brought to you by Prize Picks. Use the code ESPN seven hundred and run your game with Prize Picks.
Speaker 1: Austin Ainge, his first real big situation as the primary decision maker for the Utah Jazz took place last night. And if you read some of the draft recaps, if you listen to some of the post draft podcast, most everybody is applauding what the Utah Jazz did last night. So let's dig into it. We've got some other big picture NBA storylines to talk about, as Joe Dumar is rapidly becoming the executive in the NBA that other executives just want to call and float weird trade idea is too, like they used to do with Isaiah Thomas when he was running the New York Knicks. We'll get the Pelicans just took an unbelievably calculated risk that could blow up right in their face. A lot of winners last night, in my opinion, a lot of losers last night, in my opinion. The local storyline was Yegor Demon being drafted by the Brooklyn Nets at eight. That was a little high on the range and most people were expecting and apparently Yegor is going to compete with like four other international point guard slash wings that Brooklyn selected throughout the course to night. They had five first round picks. Nobody thought they were going to take all of them, and they did, and four of them are like the very same players. So we'll see what Demon's able to do in Brooklyn. But from a Utah Jazz standpoint, I thought Austin Inge last night showed boldness that this organization clearly needs and quite frankly probably has not had for quite some time. I'm not knocking on anyone very much like and respect Justin Zanak and Danny Inge, but Austin Ainge stepped up addressed the media after the draft was completed. Round one answered questions, and I thought outlined his case very well, so Ace Bailey. About five or six months ago, Ace Bailey was thought to be potentially the second best player in this draft, and honestly, if you go back prior to the way, Cooper Flag just really flew this year. I mean Cooper Flag coming up as a high school and then AAU player man Verde Academy after he transferred from his high school in Maine, was thought to be potentially generationally special, but nobody really knew because Ace Bailey was kind of in that range as well as he made his way through the high school ANDAAU ranks. At one point he was thought to be, you know, six ten, six ten and a half as a player that could really do a bunch of different things with measurables that are very intoxicating. The buzz around him started to go the wrong direction after the combine when he measured six' eight without, shoes WHICH i still think is the dumbest. Thing you play basketball wearing. Shoes why are we measuring you without? Shoes makes no? Sense and then of course the noise Around ace started to hone in on the fact that he is refusing to work out for teams and he straight up canceled the workout for The Philadelphia seventy six years, Now i've been a part of individual workouts in pro. Basketball i've witnessed hundreds of them between tape that you have certainly these days with these young men when you start scouting them when they're at twelve thirteen years. Old austin and And Danny, Ainge Justin, zanik all the talent evaluators for The Utah jazz have been watching As bailey play basketball for six years on a myriad of different, levels and they went to the. Combine austin actually Interviewed ace when he was with The, celtics and The jazz sat down with Ast bailey as. Well and at the, combine you get exactly what you. Need you have all the. MEDICALS i don't know that the individual workouts are really all that. Paramount i'm sure people to run teams would probably disagree with, me but you have the data that you. NEED i never viewed the fact that he didn't work out for teams as a big red. FLAG i did view the fact that he straight up canceled and no showed is maybe a sign that the maturity situation maybe isn't, great and that's kind of the knock On, ace thought to be one of the more immature players in this. DRAFT i do want to point out That Omar, cooper who Is Ace bailey's, agent is brand new at This ace is own is his only, client and the decision making around the pre draft stuff With ace clearly came from his. Representation So omar is With Lifestyle Sports, agency it is brand, new And ace is his only, client so he's never done this, before so that's why it's been a little bit. Clunky but here's the bottom. Line, okay The jazz simply took the best possible player they could have taken it. Five, now that sounds reductive and, simple But i'm not sure that That charlotte. DID i think As bailey is tremendously, talented so much more so Than Kan, kinnipple WHO i think will be a SOLID nba. Player but if these two players their, potential And i'll even THROW vj in, THAT i LOVE VJ J edgecombeh who went To affiliate. Three If Ace, bailey Konk, nipple and Vg edgecombe all reached their, Ceilings ace is the best. Player ace has the most talent of those. Three, now The jazz could have definitely Taken Trey, johnson Who Sam bessini this morning said he actually thought should be the pick at five instead of. Base but What Austin ainge, did and this is what you have to. Do you cannot make these decisions if you're a roster constructor in pro. Basketball you cannot act out of. Fear you can't act out of. Emotion AND i think we fall into that around here a little bit too much because we have a LITTLE ptsd with a lot of the best players we've ever. Had simply just leaving The hayward thing will always be. Odd of, course With mitchell and D will those were, trades but those were trades that a lot of people believe were essentially forced behind the scenes by the player. Himself Go bear was, traded you. Know so we have a lot of players we could go back to booze that entire. Group ever Since john And carr, retired we've had had very smart roster, constructors built some good, teams but they've been broken down far before the meat was off that. BONE i, MEAN i still believe The donovan And rudy And quinn group had plenty left Now obviously it didn't go, down BUT i do have to wonder based off of how Bold austin was last, night, like we don't Care ace if you don't want to be, here because the fact of the matter is if you guys have been following the fallout and the. COVERAGE i listened to five post draft pods this morning in some ERRANDS i was doing around, town AND i read a bunch last night AFTER i got. Home the one narrative that everybody is leaned into is what are they? Doing ace doesn't want to be in Saul. Lake, well here's the, deal.
Speaker 3: We get.
Speaker 1: It a lot of THESE nba players will never choose to come. Here but what are you supposed to, do like not draft, anybody or just draft the safest white dude that feels like he'd fit in here breaking News Gordon hayward was. White when he wasn't playing, basketball he liked to play video games and they couldn't keep that. Dude, Okay so you can't just act out of. Fear the Boldness austin showed last, NIGHT i think it's a really good. Sign he, said we don't care if you don't want to be. Here we are drafting. You and now we have a seven year runway to show you that we have a, great dynamite head, coach we have a good program that will help you. Develop we have ownership that will pay, money in a front office that knows what they're. Doing now at the end of seven, years these players earn the, right as they, should to choose to live wherever they want to. Live i've always found in odd dynamic and professional sports that these players are legitimately the best at what they do in the, world and we tell them where they. Live it is kind of odd if you think about. It so you should have the ability to choose where you do what you do when you're as good at it as these players. Are but for a roster construction, project for a team that's In Salt Lake, city you just have to be. Bold AND i Thought austin was last. Night we'll get to The Walter Clayton junior thing in just a.
Speaker 5: Minute he's the pride Of, Norwich connecticut and good son Of Salt Lake. City after forty years with The Utah, jazz there's no one better to talk some. Hoops Richard Smitty smith is back on The drive ON espn seven Hundred Richard Smitty.
Speaker 1: Smith thank goodness that you know how to actually do real work instead of pretending like this is actual swinging the pick in the salt. Mine how are you feeling?
Speaker 3: Today?
Speaker 6: Oh you just you, know you just said. That it just made me think of what About? Bob you know you remember what About?
Speaker 2: Bob?
Speaker 6: Yeah, sure, maybe, yeah you remember the scene When Richard dreyfus is going you think he's, Gone he's never gone and he opens the door And, maurice.
Speaker 1: That is such a good. Movie i'm glad you brought that. UP i have a flight. TONIGHT i might Watch What About bob on my flight. Tonight NOW i just want to talk about the Best Bill murray movies of all. Time but we will now do. That how you feeling? Today feeling?
Speaker 3: Good, yeah we're doing.
Speaker 6: Good Spens, hey this is this this time of year before whatever it, IS i guess my, body my, brain whatever is is? It a certain flow and the certain certain Mindset because for years and years and years we would this is the week that we would be in the office at seven am and leave at midnight every.
Speaker 3: Day and AND.
Speaker 6: I THINK i mentioned and a couple of weeks, AGO i was sitting at, home uh recently and reading in the early, evenings and, man it's bright. Out the sun's. Out and THEN i, realized oh, yeah it's late, spring early, summer AND i usually never saw the sun because we're always hiding in the theater at The jazz practice, facility watching film twelve hours a.
Speaker 3: Day, yeah you, know leading up to the.
Speaker 6: Draft so but this is this this time of, year you just kind of get energized for all the stuff that's going on and all the decisions that are, made some of them that are, calculated and some of.
Speaker 3: Them are on the. Fly and that's what makes an exciting.
Speaker 1: Time so we'll start with the jazz and then we'll pan. Back although now in my, Mind i'm All i'm thinking about is the dinner scene From What About bob When Bill murray asked for assault. SUBSTITUTE i, see saw is there assault? Substitute and he just won't stop making. Noise how good the chicken? Is oh so, good, man so. Good but we will move. On i'm just a Big Bill murray, guy all. Right, So, smitty one of the THINGS i like about having you in studio is you have this front office perspective and you can help us understand whether or not it means anything that everybody seems to be applauding what The jazz did last. Night, Now Ace bailey is eighteen years, old and so he has a marathon between now and whatever it looks like when he is fully. Big but let's start With ace and then we'll get To Walter Clayton, junior and then we'll do maybe what's next for The. Jazz we talked about it last, night but for our listeners who may have missed, it you, know at one point during this calendar year AND i looked this up prior to the, Draft ace was thought to be maybe the second best player on the. Board now his Teammate Dylan harper separated. Himself So cooper goes, One dylan goes, two THEN vj at three To, philly and Then conkinippilford To, charlotte And Ace bailey is there at five for The jazz to. Select and all of the, Reports smitty are at literally all of. Them if you go and read anything from The athletic OR, espn if you go listen to any of these post draft, pods they're all saying the same, thing what are they? Doing he doesn't want to be. There But Austin ains, SAID i don't give a. Rip we think he's the best player at. Five we're taking him at.
Speaker 3: Five what do you?
Speaker 6: Think, yeah, well what Happens spencer's all that stuff is just stuff of the moment that that ends up getting swept away and and you, know like like the waves on the, beach it just goes away and and and then you move on and the kid will come out, Here he'll get, acclimated they'll love him, Up they'll they'll make sure that he's comfortable and and that he's, feeling you, know wanted and secure and all, that which you. Should you, know that's that's the kind of stuff you want to do when you have an eighteen or nineteen year old who is you, know reacclimating to a new part next part of their life and a new part of the country that they're not familiar. With he's a he's a young, kid he's a he's an exciting type. Player what's going to be interesting is uh is how he how he comes into the fold of what they're trying to do and what his his mindset.
Speaker 3: Is you.
Speaker 6: Know one of the THINGS i like about him is that he really has a versatile, game and he can really do a lot of different. Things he's a switchable guy, defensively you, know he can create shots on the. Offense he's the kind of player The jazz need on their roster.
Speaker 3: Meeting you, know.
Speaker 6: His, length his, agility as his, athleticism all those things fit right into the box that they need to. Fill the one Thing i've heard about him is that he's he's a pretty good team, guy and he's he's pretty good with his with his teammates and the coaches that were At, rutgers which is which is a positive because the Stuff i've, seen you, know outside of, that in interviews and, whatnot in the way just the way he carried, himself like last, night you, know during the draft and. Stuff to, ME i got a different vibe off that it kind of felt like he, was you, know feeling a little bit of his. Oats maybe he thought he was bigger than the, program you, know just his overall mindset and one of the QUESTIONS i would have going into. It of, Course i'm sure The jazz looked into all these things and you, know dotted the i's and crossed the t's on all this kind of. Stuff but you, KNOW i hope he's he's a team oriented guy and he wants to do what he can do to help the group to. Succeed if he comes in and he's trying to, be you, know a major guy right off the bat and wants to be all rookie and wants to be you, know make The All star team and all these things or, whatever he's more worried about his own game and what he produces on the floor for, himself then that would be a concern THAT i would have in terms of having him as part of what the group is trying to. Accomplish But i'm sure The jazz front office, group you, know looked at all those things and they researched, them and you, know feel comfortable that he was the guy that they they wanted to incorporate into into what they're trying to.
Speaker 1: Build so one of the many roles you've filled over, there and you've told so many stories about going to pick Up, rudy going to pick Up, heyward going to pick Up donovan from the, airport and then try so let's talk logistics for our listeners that would like to peek behind the. Curtain what what comes? Next phrase you, know does he fly in The Salt? Lake who goes and gets? Him or what does that look? Like are they looking at? Apartments do they take him to THE zbbc and, say, so what what's next in the.
Speaker 6: Process May, yeah they'll try and they'll try and get him in, town whether it's today or, tomorrow they'll, uh they'll have a little sometimes in the, PAST i don't know if they still do it or. Not we used to have a, little, uh a little meet and greet thing over at The Grand america for season ticket. Holders oh, cool so they could come over and say hi and meet the new player that we had drafted and that kind of thing and have them say a few words to the. GROUP i remember one. YEAR i probably shouldn't.
Speaker 1: No story time we're. There he took us.
Speaker 5: Down.
Speaker 6: Man REMEMBER i remember one, time you, know the year we Drafted Coasta koufas From Ohio. State it was a similar. Scenario They coasta did not come in to work. Out we did not interview. Him we thought he was going to go before us in the. Draft he only played one year At Ohio state and, uh and he fell to us and we we were kind of we had him on our, board but we. Didn't we really didn't expect him to be, there so we hadn't kind of were in that that. Mindset, anyway we end up taking him because he he we think he's the best. Player at the time he comes, in we do this this little meet and greet. Thing we have him on, stage we have a few questions and and you, know he's of.
Speaker 3: Of A greek.
Speaker 6: Heritage you, know his mother is a uh was a middle school principal in uh in The, Dayton ohio, area and that's where he grew. Up But coasta is Very greek looking like he looks like he just came over From athens or. Something, Right and we had a season ticket holding older gentleman you, know might have been in his eighties or. Something he was excited to come and be part of this. Thing and and you, know we, said are there any? Questions and question over, here question over. There then this gentleman raises his hand and and, say, yes, sir you have a question for a. Coaster he, goes, yes how did you learn to speak such Good? English and he goes such Good? English he, goes, yes you, Know i'm very fascinated with Your greek heritage and that you that you speak such Clear. English and he he was kind of, dumbfounded you, know, obviously and the, gentleman of course didn't know of his, background you, know grew up In, ohio you, know and, uh and So coaster kind of did as much as he could to smooth it over to, say, well you, KNOW i went to good schools and my mom is an educator and in the middle school In, ohio and, UH i went to a very good high school and and uh Eure Ohio state and so, uh you, KNOW i think IT'S i think that's part of my overall, uh you, know he and he's trying to think of away how DO i.
Speaker 1: Say, This, yeah, yeah That i'm.
Speaker 6: As much of An american as you, are like and uh and so that was, funny you. Know but you, know but we've had a lot of a lot of interactions like that over the years WHERE uh players come in and they try and meet the uh uh the season ticket holder base or maybe THE vip group or something like. THAT i don't know what The jazz have planned in that, regard you, know with these new, guys or if they're doing anything uh in that, way but but they'll certainly get them quickly acclimated the next three four five days because they'll have him in here by the middle of next week and getting getting their their group ready for a summer, league because The jazz do their summer league here that this year is gonna be up in The Huntsman center because of the renovations at The Delta. Center so The Jazz Summer league is gonna be at The Huntsman center the week of right After july.
Speaker 1: Fourth next, week is.
Speaker 6: It, so so they're doing it, then and then right from there they always go right down To vegas and do The Vegas Summer.
Speaker 3: League so those.
Speaker 6: Guys will be getting in, uh five, six seven games within like a ten day, span you. Know so and and there's always there's always variants and and how much guys play in the games or how and when they decide they're gonna hold them, out or they're gonna play them On tuesday and not On, wednesday or they're only gonna play them ten minutes today and twenty minutes, tomorrow and and all that. Stuff it, gets you, know a little a little goofy in my, opinion because they just try to over overwork it and overthink the. Process but but they'll those guys will be in here very quickly in the next several, days and they'll be getting act made it to the, group And Bart taylor and his group and the person outside will be finalizing the people that they want to bring in for The Summer league. Team they'll have some of the guys from the team last year that will play in The Summer. League and then depending on how the draft goes, tonight if they do anything else, different they'll be on the phones as soon as the draft ends, tonight they'll they'll be on the phones with agents of guys who didn't get drafted to, say, hey we like your guy and we really thought about taking him at fifty, three which you gizz have. Tonight we didn't get take him at fifty, three but we really like him enough to want to bring him Into Summer league and take a close up look at. Him can we get him in? Here and then that's a negotiation thing with the agents and so the agents as, WELL i got The lakers want them And phoenix wants, them and so let me see you know. Whatever and So Bart taylor and his group are on the phone with agents just going down their. Lists boom, boom, boom the players they want to try and get in for the summer league, program and sometimes they get a guy For, vegas but they don't get a guy For Salt lake or vice. Versa they, say, hey why don't you give him give him to us for The Salt lake games and then have him go play for The lakers in The vegas, games, Okay and and the agent will, go, yeah, okay we can do, that you. Know so there's a lot of you, know jockeying around and stuff and and and because it's really not obviously about the the games themselves in the two summer, leagues it's about getting a chance to see those players on the floor against like, competition to be able to see how they do and how they fare against, that and then you make those kind of judgments and then you go from there in terms of possibly inviting non drafted guys into your your camp in the fall or even into uh other workouts later in the summer open gym type, things uh where we can get more more bites at the, apples so to, speak about trying to fill in some holes on your.
Speaker 1: Roster so before we move over To Walter Clayton, junior the second selection of the jet made and they gave. Up what they gave up was not. Nothing we'll get to that in the. Moment so the dynamic of the reports That ace and his reps were trying to make sure he landed somewhere back. East the two teams Were washington And brooklyn that are reported as where he wanted to, land and Just austin SAYING i don't. Care you, know we're drafting you because we think you're the best. Player so they've got seven, years, RIGHT Seti they've got seven years where they can, say, okay, look we know that this wasn't your preferred, destination but we think you were the best player. Available we think you fit in. Here you're going to get to know our head, coach who we like a. Lot you're gonna get to know our developmental, program you're going to get to know the. Community you're going to going to get to know the. Organization what is that mindset, where, okay we have seven years to sell you on. Us you, know if the reports are true that this kid does not want to be, here And austin just bucked that and said we're doing it. Anyway what's the?
Speaker 6: Mindset, well, well that's a very good, Question, spez because, UH i don't know what the the the regime. Now uh you know The Ryan smith and and his ownership, group and then uh the angels that are in the front office, now and and UH i Know. DANNY i don't Know danny very, well BUT i know how he operates a little. Bit and it's it's kind of somewhat similar To, UH i think How Jerry sloan would operate all those years and that and that, Is, hey we drafted, you you know we we are not going to kiss your you, know you know. What you, know this is a. Job this is a. Profession so you, know you come in and let's. Go we're going to. WORK i don't. CARE i don't. Care you don't want to be you know you want to be. Here you don't want to be. Here it doesn't matter you want to play in THE. Nba it's it's it's the same as if you're in some other. Corporation, spence you go To HARVARD nba school and you come out and you you accept a job with, uh you, know an abayning. Company you know your dad was with them a long time, ago you, know but that's a big. Firm he could be working In, boston or they could, say, hey we want you to work in The chicago office now for the next two, years or we want you to work in THE la. Office whatever it. Is so THE nba is a big. Corporation and when you come into this this, company and you want to work for this, company then you work where the company asks you to go to. Work, okay it's it's a simple. Process you, know you don't want to do. That you can go play In, europe you can go play In. Australia we you, know we have no holds on, you you, know but if you want to play in THE, nba we're assigning you to The Salt lake. Office is the? Process, Yeah and so you, know it's it's as simple as, that you. Know again With Jerry, sloan With kevin, O'Connor With Dennis. Lindsay you, know these are all guys, who you, know are straight up guys who would just, say, hey we're all here to get the job done the best we. Can you, know we don't have time for this kind of you know. Nonsense whether a guy the feelings are hurt today or you, know or you, know whatever it. Is so that's one thing THAT i would caution against the you, know whatever is the sentiment at the. Moment and of course this is not even twenty four hours after the draft has taken, place and and some of this may be misread as.
Speaker 3: WELL i don't.
Speaker 6: Know these are all things we hear third and fourth, Hand SO i don't know how to how to put any weight on any of this kind of. STUFF i would just take it one day at a time to see how the kid is when he comes in and. Whatnot you, know but if you, know if he's coming in with the right attitude and the right, approach this is. Great let's go to. Work you, know we can get a lot of stuff. Done and if there's a problem in that, regard then my my. Impression and again don't know him very, well but you, Know Will hardy And Danny AINGE i know really well in that. Regard you, know the kind of guys that sit a guy down and, go, hey this is what the deal. Is, okay let's. Go you, know we don't have time for this that kind of. Thing it's a. Job and in THE, nba the way THE cba, is if you draft a guy and you like him and he's your, guy you really think he can do something and you can develop him into. Something The jazz in this case would have control over the player for a minimum of seven years based on his four year rookie deal and then the restricted free agent process after. That if you're having problems with the player along the, way he's not working out the way you, want you, know he's too much. Work you, know it's you, know, yeah he's got, talent but his attitude is way over here and we can't seem to get it in, line and you, know it's too much heavy. Lifting then there are things you can do in terms, obviously in terms of trades or even you, know letting guys go if if you just want to cut your losses and move, on you, KNOW i, mean so there's all those things at. Play i'm sure That austin ain't and making this, decision made the decision based on the player he thought had the best, talent could could add the most to The jazz. Group and Also i'm sure that he had he had looked into all the things in his background about what kind of guy he, is how he was At, rutgers how the coaches liked, him you, know what the what the trainers thought of behind the, scenes working with him every, day all those kinds of, things AND i don't think he, would you, know throw a lot of a lot of his or early, weight if you, will and get, it being new on the job to selecting a guy who he, thought, really you, know was was going to be wishy washy in terms of is this going to work out in THAT i really think that he would have made the decision unless he's pretty confident, that you know, this we can make this.
Speaker 1: Work since you brought Up, rutgers let me ask you a question. Here, so, so the The Big ten was a good not great basketball conference last. Year you, know THE sec was probably the, class then it was The Big, twelve then we get into THE acc. Whatever Michigan, State, Maryland, Michigan, Wisconsin purdue all top fifteen, teams But rutgers was eight and twelve in conference, play they were fifteen and seventeen. Overall they lost To Kennesaw state with two of the top really three prospects at the time and ended up two of the top FIVE nba prospects on their roster at a. Time how do you explain that and is that anything that's concerning as you go through your.
Speaker 6: Process it definitely is because you've got two guys who were projected when they came Into rutgers of being two of the top five. Picks as it turned out they were in the NEXT nba. Draft and you would think that that, team with the very good coach that they have there is going to be able to do very well in The Big. Ten and they didn't have a winning record and their performances were. Uneven Both harper And bay you, know played well enough that you, know obviously the your teams still regarded them very highly in terms of potential pro. Prospects but they but they they weren't consistent all year. Long, uh they didn't they didn't play in some of the games that you, think, uh you, know they they should have a you, know not easy, time but should win this game against an inferior. Opponent and they had sometimes lackluster, performances maybe because their head wasn't in it that, night or they they thought this is gonna be a neat you know. Whatever but that plays into you, know what kind of mentality they. Have what what do they bring to the court every?
Speaker 1: Night?
Speaker 3: Uh did they come to just?
Speaker 6: Play you, know at the times when they want to, play and when they, don't you, know they just kind of shrug it. Off, yeah it doesn't. Matter i'm out of here after the year. Anyway you, know those are things you don't really, know, uh but guys behind the scenes would have a feel for. That so that's why when you're doing all your your homeworking, background you're not just talking to the coaches because a lot of times the coaches are gonna sell you a pill of of goods unless you have a personal relationship with with. Them if it's just a professional one where they know who you, are but you don't really know each other on a personal, level they're gonna try and sell you on a kid because they're trying to improve their.
Speaker 3: Program. Right so the guy From rutgers.
Speaker 6: Today is calling, prospects you know that he's, recruiting, saying, hey you, see you come To rutgers and you can be one of the you, know one of the top five picks in the.
Speaker 3: Draft you know that kind of.
Speaker 6: Thing you who you try and talk, to or the people behind the, scenes the athletic, trainers maybe the student managers who work there who are the same age as the players who might be in the class with the players who can tell, you, hey this is how this guy is when he's not in the, limelight when the when the spotlight isn't on. Him you try and talk to opposing coaches who more than likely had recruited those kids who now playing against, them but also have a different perspective on who they, are not just as, players but also as people because they may have, been you, know spending a few years trying to recruit them as. Well so you try and get a hold of those people to, see, hey what's the real deal with this?
Speaker 3: Kid you, know and stuff and and.
Speaker 6: A lot of times you get a lot more on the on the spot answers when you can get to people like, that you, know WE i, know sometimes we went so far as to having some of our staff spend two or three days on a college, campus, uh you, know investigating looking at certain players and and going around to everybody they could figure, out you, know who that player would have interacted with on a regular. Basis was was it the resident advisor who lived on their dorm floor with, Them was it was it the the the residence hall manager or the director who ran the, place whether it was you, know people who were in the the advising. Department, uh someone who, was you, know one of their, teachers any anybody like that that they could give you a feel for who they were away from the. Limelight and those things really, carry at least with the they used to carry a lot of weight because that told you what the person was really like when they were out of the limelight of playing.
Speaker 1: Basketball odds For rookie of The year Winner Cooper flag, One Trade johnson, Two Ace bailey. Three so there you. Go we'll catch a quick break and coming up next. Days bailey not the only player selected by The jazz last. Night they moved up to Take Walter Clayton, junior who was simply won everywhere he's. Been will he win in THE? Nba only time will. Tell start your. ENGINES espn seven hundred is excited to announce the first Ever Monster Jam World finals coming To Utah july fourth and the. Fifth listen TO espn seven hundred for your chance to win, tickets or visit ticketmaster dot com now before they're. Gone Morris Smitty live And studio coming up. Next stay tuned for coverage Of round two of THE Nba. Drafts wear myself And Richard smith will break down several players so you've never heard of, before and most of them will never play in THE. Nba that comes your way in just a little, bit But smitty is in studio in the, meantime all, Right Top Day, bailey last, segment the newest member of The Utah, jazz number five pick overall out Of. Rutgers let's move over to what they elected to do to move up three. Spots they exchanged twenty one for, eighteen and in addition they sent forty three tonight and then two other second round picks to just move up three. Spots so that's not. Nothing that feels like a lot to move up three. Spots, however as you said last, night if you think that's the, guy if you think you've got the, guy go get the, guy.
Speaker 6: Right, Yeah and that's what you really have to, Do. Spencer and that's one of the reasons why The jazz had been in this so called asset accumulation mode the last couple of, years getting all these draft. Picks it's just like having money in the bank and you have it for a rainy day for when you have an accident or something happens and you need extra money on the spot to get out of a hole or. Whatever this is why you have these these. Assets and So i'm going to make the. Assumption AND i don't know Because i'm not in the, room but they that they had Targeted Walter clayton as a guy they really liked that they thought might get to them at twenty. One what you do when you're when you're waiting on your, pick when the picks are starting to unfold and you're getting to fourteen fifteen, sixteen you're making phone calls to the teams either in front of you or that or the guys you know around the league that are locked in on what's happening on the, spot to, See, hey wh who are the guys in front of us going to? Take who are they gonna you, know, now it may be someone you're very good friends. With it may be a guy that you're really good friends with on another, team and you can call them, say, hey, dude who you guys taking and we're gonna take The jones, Kid, okay, okay, thanks and you, know and then you're you're you're jocking around behind the scenes trying to get all your duck lined. Up they may have made those calls and in the process found out that one of the teams in front of them at nineteen or twenty had an interest In clayton or we're going to take, him and so they probably and again this is just this is just an assumption or a guess on my part that they got to that information and they, said we Like clayton, enough we got to jump over a couple teams to get to. Him otherwise he's not going to get to. Us and so they made some a couple of quick phone, calls and they got To washington that it was At, Washington washington at eighteen and, said, hey you, know are you interested in trading back flop it flip flipping eighteen and twenty?
Speaker 3: One and, yeah, maybe, yeah what do you?
Speaker 6: Got you, know, well we'll get how about we throw in forty three and that's not enough for? Whatever, okay what what do you? Think and that goes back and, forth, right and that sometimes is literally a thirty or forty second the. Conversation you, know how about throwing marketing? In we'll take marketing in and, yeah we're not doing, That, okay, okay what about a.
Speaker 3: Second round pick next year or?
Speaker 6: Whatever and they quickly come, out come up with something that both sides agree, to and they, say, okay we're, Good, yeah we're.
Speaker 3: Good, okay we'll do.
Speaker 6: That and the Jazz i think we're in some kind of measure of that that regard where they said we need to get from twenty one to eighteen because one of those teams nineteen nineteen or twenty Either brooklyn Or miami might take, him.
Speaker 3: And that would be my.
Speaker 6: Guess and so they probably looked at it and, said we gotta get above those guys because one of those teams we've heard or we, understand like him, him and he's not going to get to, us. Okay and so that's why you do that. Deal and if you like the kid enough and you think he's a guy that you really want to bring into your, group and you think it's worth, it that's why you have that stuff in the. Bank that's literally what five years from, now six years from, Now that's why you have, it because we don't even.
Speaker 3: Know if we're gonna be here five or six years from. Now you, know we don't. Care that's why we have.
Speaker 6: It if we can use that as enticement to get a deal done now for something that we're sold, on then that's what we're gonna. Do AND i believe there was some version of that that caused that move to be.
Speaker 1: Made so the reports Were miami was ready to Take Walter clayton. Junior those were the, reports AND i think that was an athletic report THAT i saw. Laydive, OBVIOUSLY i can't cooperate. THAT i texted Pat, riley he didn't get back to.
Speaker 2: Me.
Speaker 1: Wow so the reports are the jazz word twenty. One they very much Wanted Walter clayton junior and they heard That miami was going to take. Him at Twenty miami settled on Yakajonas, kid who was one of the top twelve prospects according to most mock drafts and big, boards so they probably did pretty well at. Twenty Brad stevens was asked About austin Drafting Walter clayton, junior and he, SAID i could have told you two years Ago austin was going to trade up to Draft Walter clayton. Junior Apparently austin has liked him for a long long. Time, okay well let's. See there you, go and if you're in a situation and you look at that draft board and you look at all the, possibilities and you're trying to figure out if we can get to a certain guy that we like and where we're. Drafting and you, know, look we had the same thing with you, know almost a decade ago With Donovan mitchell And Dennis lindsay really liked him and, really you, know really was really you, know hung up on trying to get. Him and we were picking twenty four and we had surmised and figured, out, well he's not going to get past, fifteen sixteen, seventeen so we have to get above Fifteen dean, Somehow and And dennis went to work and we were working the phones and finally got you, know got to be able to do the trade on the spot at the, moment you, know with With Tim conley and The Denver nuggets at that. Time you, know, again all those, things you, know might happen to a whole bunch, Differently, spence if just somebody makes a move in front of you that's different than what you. Expect for, Example Tim connley was hoping For denver to get a certain player at. Thirteen that player went went at, ten so he wasn't able to get the player he. Wanted so now he was willing to try and do go to play and b because the guy he was interested in was no longer. Available, okay he Liked Donovan, mitchell he didn't think he was quite worth. That, okay that's how everybody does their own a. Value dennis gets him on the. Phone hey what do you? Think he, Goes, well we're waiting to see if our guy is still. There, okay CAN i put you on?
Speaker 3: Hold?
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay you, know and we're literally on hold for several minutes and then get.
Speaker 3: Back you know what do you?
Speaker 6: Think he, Goes, yeah our guy just went, okay, yeah what do you what are you? Thinking and and then and boom boom boom and a deal like that is literally done in less than a, minute like on the. Phone, uh you, know how about? This how about? That and you know and, uh and they finally agreed on something the flip flop picks and also Throwing Trey, lyles who The jazz had drafted the year, before and, uh And denver liked him, some and we liked him. Some we still thought he could develop into a decent rotational.
Speaker 3: Piece.
Speaker 6: Uh But dennis Like Donovan mitchell enough that he thought that was worth you, know the gamble And Quinn snyder also was in on that at that at that precise, moment you, know giving the literally the thumbs up from across the table that, yeah let's let's let's do, that you, know and so you, know that's How Donovan Mitchell Otherwise Donovan mitchell goes TO i don't, Know toronto Or indiana or whatever a few picks, later and you, know and history is. Rewritten but that's that's sometimes how those things come together and how quickly they. Can they can work in your, favor or they can fall apart and not occur because you, know you don't get a trade done With washington because they change their mind or you're not offering them. Enough so they, say now we're just, gonna you, know roll with what we. Got and then they get to number twenty and and what you're, Saying miami Takes Walter. Clayton we missed by one, guy, yeah son Of now now The jazz have to go with another. Guy so however that would. Roll we we had that a lot of years. Ago you know who was you know who. Involved it was a second round pick and it was. Forty it was a forty two forty three forty four something like, that and we want we had zeroed in On Pat, conon And Pat conton went to pick before us To portland and so and we did the old you, know you, know, uh fist on the, table slam right.
Speaker 3: There, yeah, yeah you, know and and.
Speaker 6: Stuff so so those, things you, know sometimes can happen for you and sometimes they work against. You and that's why you you have those boards in, place and that's why you have all your contingencies lined up ahead of, time so you can just read and react like you have to in in in the game of basketball and the football, whatever see what's going on and then do something different on the spot in order to make something. Work and that's that's a lot of times what happens during the course of the.
Speaker 1: Draft so let's bottom line. THIS i do want to do some conversation concerning what the rotation could potentially look. Like but let's go back TO ace firmm In Ace, Bailey, UH i know you don't love. COMPS i don't really love comps, either the comps that are flying around About. Ace are you Hear Michael Porter? Junior you Hear Rishard lewis uh top? End you know a player like The tracy, McGrady a wing that can really and and look McGrady, was he's A hall Of. Famer so that's WHY i don't love the comparison. Game but just for our listener's frame of, Reference, smitt he is you've kind of dug in on the tape and you've got to know He's. Bailey let's assume full development and he reaches his. Potential what does that look like in THE.
Speaker 6: Nba, well he has a chance to be a very dynamic player on both ends of the floor if his head is, right if he comes in and he has the good attitude and he wants to be a better, player if he's if he doesn't have the attitude That i'm Already i'm already there and, okay let's go give me the. Ball you, know if he's willing to, learn if he's willing to work at, it he has the physical tools and the ability to really impact the game on both ends of the. Floor and so that's that's his. Upside that's what would be the best case scenario for, him is if he if he brings those things and brings that at. Ititude the guys you, mentioned by the, way all those Guys porter And lewis And tracey. McGray first of, all they're all bigger than this. Kid so, Okay so everybody had this kid At rutgers at six' ten and they found OUT the nba pre draft camp they. Measured him oh he's six seven and.
Speaker 1: A half just real quick before, you continue can you why are we measuring these prospects? WITHOUT shoes i, don't know you play basketball. Wearing shoes it's the. Dumbest thing, every, year, like oh he's six or five. Without shoes, i'm, like okay are we playing Barefoot? IN africa i believe they wear basketball shoes when. They, play anyway as, you were we.
Speaker 6: Said that we said that For, year spence we would argue that WITH the, nba people and, you know the the argument always came, back, was well, you know different guys have different types, of shoes and some guys have bigger soles than. Some guys well, you know, you know you know they have them wear the shoes, they wear or, you know have them all wear the. Same shoe once you guys get a Deal with nike and have, everybody measured and you could even. Promote it, You Know ace bailey is sixth state and a Half the Nike air zoom two's you know or, what, yeah, yeah, Yeah YEAH but i don't know why they. Do it it's it's the dumbest thing is it's it's it's close to this thing we mentioned yesterday about why they don't make the. Trades official at the moment teams agree to him and, they, say oh, you know, You know utah's taking, this guy but then he's gonna trade him later, or whatever and, you wizards, you're, actually, Yeah exactly so so what THAT is i, don't know, but uh, But yeah bailey is is shorter than than. People thought so he's gonna play. And shoes he's gonna play basically at. Six,' nine, okay you know he's got a good. A good wingspan he's going to uh if. It's uh if he can play very well defensively because he's. A switchable guy he's got very good agility and, very good athleticism so. He can move so he's gonna be One of those jaden. McDaniel type guys he can play very well on both ends. Of the floor the, downside of him if he doesn't, reach that area is gonna be that his shooting doesn't. Get consistent enough everybody says he's a. Very good, shooter you know what He was at rutgers really was more of. A streak shooter so he had games where he either didn't shoot it well or. Didn't shoot enough he's not. A consistent shooter but when he had when he's in a rhythm and he's in a flow and, stuff like that he can get his shot off because he has good mechanics, and he's long so he can. Shoot over people his efficiency was. Not that great his decision making. Sometimes was questionable He's had sometimes he also was very very suspect in his ball handling in, tight you know and so that that presented, problems at times and, so you, know but hey we take.
Speaker 3: A step. Back he's eighteen he's.
Speaker 6: Got some skills he's got some natural basketball instincts that, are very good that are good groundwork and foundation to. Work off of now the, coaches get him they get him, in the gym they start, working with them they see what his aptitude and his appetite is for working hard and trying to develop the weaknesses, in his game and that will tell us a lot about what kind of. Player he has a. Chance to become.
Speaker 1: Let's Move Over To walter, clayton junior now who simply has won everywhere he's been and has improved every year he's, been in college so back to. Back state championships, in high school when He Played for Rick, patino at iona They Won The mac Conference Walter one mac Player. Of the year he then transfers to Go Play for todd Golden at The university of florida where they win. The National Championship And walter clayton junior is your final four. Most outstanding player There's a little jamal murrayish there with. HIS shot, MAKING i mean i was watching some stuff last night. IN this morning i like. Watching him. Play he's smooth he's like a fun. Player to watch he's. Got great handles six to two twenty. Two years old the data indicates players that are drafted in that range that are that age. DON'T necessarily, stick i mean it's a really wild exercise when you just go look at number eighteen, picks in history or how many top ten picks are even on the team that drafted them from. Five years ago like we do This Thing where austin ainge cracks a, mic and says this is. Our dream scenario we got the two. Names we wanted. Two weeks ago we identified these two names we, walked away with and it's, kind, of like dude it's like the college Football coach On national signing day that says we got, everyone we wanted, and it's like you're the sixty. Seventh ranked class, no you didn't but you're just saying it to appease the fans or. What, have you so as, you've dug in you've watched him, Over the years i'll ask you. The same question fully developed, as a pro what does it Look Like for. Walter, CLAYTON junior.
Speaker 6: Well i think he's a, very SOLID player but I think he's he's the kind OF guy who i like the way his game flows because he doesn't get too high too. Low during games he just kind of plays on. An even keel he's a very. Good shot maker he never seems to be. Out of control they never seem to be able. To rush him they get. Him sped up he seems to have control of himself. OF his game i don't know how much more he has in the tank in. Terms, of improvement okay what he brings to the table right now is, probably you know enough to get him by, uh you know but again at, at six, two you know, he's, another short, shorter should say backcourt guy to add to the Group that. The jazz Have Whether it's chante george at Six Three or colin sexton at six two Sixty Three or jordan clarkson, at six' four they have a lot of smallish type guards uh that. Are IN their group and i just think that there they need to somehow and some regard get bigger guys in the backcourt that can help in terms of, stopping the ball early because that's been one of their issues. As a defensive team they have a very poor defensive team the last couple of, years by all metrics uh and and in two of the things they they could never do is guard the three point shot because of their their lack of length the perimeter and also their, transition defense was horrible and so they couldn't stop anybody when people would be throwing the ball up over over. The mid court line they just they couldn't stop him from getting on. Top of the rim so you have, to have athletic guys but you. Have to have length, that's something you know, the kind, of thing for example brings into Mind A. Guy like ace bailey if he's on the floor and he's, one of those guys he's the guy who, can use, his length, his athleticism his agility is quickness to be able to get in front and. Stop balls and transition that's what. You want to Like they must like clayton in terms of his overall ability, to be a winner to bring a solid, playmaker on the floor someone, who plays within himself someone who makes the right plays. Most of, the time because again they use the first round pick on a six to two, guard who's you know not overly athletic, or a dynamic shooter or has some skill that's, just off, The charts you know so they, must really, like something you know that they think can help their group in, terms of being successful because that's that just adds another short backcourt. Guy to the group they already have.
Speaker 1: Your points well, taken and you know we'll see, how this plays out and this. Is The last thing then i'll set you loose so you Can Go watch them RYAN Kulkbrenner tape for us round two tonight and maybe catch a little nap before another. Late night on air so last thing smitty When it comes to ace and When It Comes, to walter clayton junior, how do you think rotationally this. IS going, TO look i mean i do Feel, like THERE and gordy when i asked, in this last night, pushed, BACK and said no i feel like There's A World where walter clayton junior could take the starting point Guard job just because I'm not Sold, on KEYANTE or isaiah and i wonder What They do with colin Sexton or reports the dallases Maybe inquiring to have colin kind of. Keep, The ship. Aflow well kyrie's hurt will have. To see what, happens and you know When It comes to ace bailey at the age, of eighteen years old? Does he start Over If they, bring john collins back who played well, for them last year Does? HE start, over john i, mean coaches like vets. They don't like rookies so last thing, for this hit rotationally what do you expect to see next year from both. These, TWO young rookies.
Speaker 6: Well i think the way that it's gonna be Depending on how the jazz form their Roster, between NOW and october because i think there's gonna be a potential for. A lot of, changes you've, got to you know to use the, off off quoted phrase there's a. New, Sheriff In town okay austin ange is. Making the decisions now so is he wanted does he believe in some of the guys in this group are a lot of guys he wants to move on. From, whatever that is obviously. THOSE are unilateral decisions a lot of people weigh in on, those kinds of things but he's, the ultimate, decision maker you know he's a look at that and he's been looking at it from afar through the, eyes of his dad who's been here, a few years now and then he comes in and now. He's part of it so he has kind of a unique perspective in a couple of. Ways in that regard and so he's gonna he's gonna reshape the roster and there's nothing that's Off, limits because again spence, as we've said before they had the worst. Record in the league they, were by most metrics the worst defensive. Team in the, league, they can, score okay you know but they have to there's a lot of holes. They have to fill and so how these two rookies WILL fit into that i think will be determined by who else they bring, in on the roster, who they shuffle out who who, else they bring in either through trades or through free agent, signings in the summer whatever they decide to do. To remake the Roster and then in october we'll have a better feel for what, the roster looks like and then what these two guys what. Their ROLES would be But i would assume bailey would have as an as a number five pick and a guy the type of player they need badly and, there on their roster that he would have every opportunity to come in and get, major minutes, right away you know. At that three spot And, then this, kid clayton you know may be a rotational guy. Coming off the bench but also depends who. Else is still there it depends on any kinds Of Strides that the isaiah collier kid takes during the summertime as a, as A Point guard what keante george has done during the. Summer to improve him if either one of those guys is still On.
Speaker 3: The Roster come october.
Speaker 6: But clayton will also have an opportunity at, some point, to show you know how he can stabilize an offense and how how he can, contribute to you know some kind of of sustainable performs. And improvement, going forward.
Speaker 1: All, right smitty head home, get a n app grind on some second round tape and we will see you in. Just a few hours.
Speaker 3: You're just grinding, away in.
Speaker 1: The desert right yeah and you know people think they want.
Speaker 3: To do.
Speaker 1: This job it's masonry i'm swinging the pick. IN this SOLVED minds i know i can see all, THE scars on. You i, Know Man all right richard smith who was along for, the ride last night and we'll. Do round two TONIGHT Stay tuned you toahm mammoth made a trade yesterday in the MIDST of all the nba OFF season. Drama And, nba drafts neil smith former General Manager Of, the new york rangers will join us to. Break that trade down we'll do. A little Sports court. Don't FORGET Round two the, nba draft is tonight and we must be glutton for punishment because we will cover it like, we did round one starting at six o'clock when. We SAY good night but rsl back at action against an old rival coming up and some fun storylines surrounding. This little soccer, Club The head Coach, Pablo, Masteroni On, thursday, pops happy thursday man?
Speaker 3: How?
Speaker 7: Are we, doing happy spent doing.
Speaker 1: But appreciate the time so let's. Not Bury the Lead diego luna a. All star once Again Back to back All. Star selections for diego that HAS not Happened For rsl Since Nick romando and kyle beckerman. Over a decade ago so we have a lot to talk about That Does not involve all. Star selections and such but A. Nice, nod for diego pablo? What, ARE your thoughts.
Speaker 7: YEAH i think it's i think It's awesome for both. Diego and. THE club, you know i think, as we've, SPOKEN about you Know i think the millers want to really build a fantastic team that that can be, a PERENNIAL playoff team and i think in, order to do so you have to have players that are consistently playing at. A really High level i think diego, is a great EXAMPLE and and so i think it's it's a great step For the club and diego to, continue to you know mature into, a well rounded player a player that's playing at a really high level with the national team and someone that hopefully will be around for. Many years to come.
Speaker 1: What was your reaction when you had found out that you Were Selected to the all star team. FOR the first time i feel like that's kind of a nice little box check the dream that. Most, young players have.
Speaker 7: Yeah especially you know obviously not Not prevalent And in. Europe ALL star teams but i think growing up as a even if you JUST play, soccer as i, did you're, aware OF You Know The, nba All Star Game the baseball STAR Game And the nfl.
Speaker 2: Pro.
Speaker 7: GAME or you know i think it's just a great recognition AND and and and I think in today's mls it's a lot different than back in the day where there's so many stars in, in in our league and so to, be a you Know a player like diego who's now in HIS, third year of mls, and and you, know to be. Recognized it's pretty powerful and it's definitely, a boost, of confidence you know and you can also have the national team to his resume. And all these things, it's it's PRETTY impactful and it's i think an indicator that you're moving, in the right direction and a, great experience, as well you know because you get to you get to, meet All these guys obviously messi and all the other guys, that will be there and it's almost like a fraternity of sorts for four, days or, three days you know and you get to mingle and share experiences and get to know the guys that are across. The field from you some of the guys that you compete against, weekend and week out but some of the guys that you, grew up you know idolizing and really shaping your. Game around these players so it's going to be it's really a wonderful uh few days to be recognized and to spend.
Speaker 3: With the.
Speaker 7: OTHER guys you know i.
Speaker 1: ALWAYS talk about this, I don't THINK well, i Know i don't and i'm quite sure most of our domestic sports fans don't fully understand The Magnitude of who lionel MESSI is in the eco system simply of. THE sport, of Soccer I, Mean He's Michael, jordan he's tiger woods he's whatever name you want to throw attached to the sport that most people believe is the. GREATEST ever do it i know. There's a debate there i'm not educated enough, to HAVE a take but, i don't even know like, what the question is what do you think it's? Going To BE like for and i know, This has already happened but when you when, you take the field when, you take the pitch and you look over and literally the greatest ever do. It is standing there what what sort of osmosis or whatever the hell it is can be ascertained from just that experience of playing with training and playing in a game along with the greatest. That's, ever, done.
Speaker 7: It yeah yeah obviously it's, it's. IT'S almost surreal right i think it's an. Out of. BODY experience you know i had the Opportunity To play alongside David Beckham in, an all star game and, even in that MOMENT it was like i was in A different planet and i was just soaking it all up and asking him questions about his career, and and you know it's like one of your, one of your heroes is right, there next to you and and it's one of these moments that it's like you never, thought it was possible because You can imagine when, DIEGO was growing up messi, was in, his heyday you know and so then and they have a lot of similarities in, their game you Know And so i'm i'm i'm sure that he modeled a lot of what he does from What he saw with. Messi on the screen and then to share a locker room and a field and the opportunity to compete. IN the, game together i mean, it's it's it's unworldly it's it's it's. It's a magnificent opportunity it's it's it's hard to kind, of PUT into words BUT i think you're, I found myself Thinking i can't believe i'm in the same. Room with these guys like it's. Just, IT'S it's surreal yeah i.
Speaker 1: Can Remember when, we had beckham, here and you know initially He Came here with real Madrid And that was lows, galactakos and, they had, you Know rude band, mister roy and Uh, YOU could, keep kaka, I Mean, you know eco Cassius We. Could KEEP roberto carlos like i remember when that group. Walked into the hotel we were waiting for them to, get off the, bus and you know there there's such it's, like a holy bleep. Like they're actually, Here and you know beckham's whole thing is, like his celebrity ultimately like he was. A very good player i'm not trying to. Say that he wasn't he was a very good player for club And. Country AND in england But i feel like messi, is that. Times ten, YOU know like again i JUST don't know that i really have any an accurate frame of reference for what that dude is for the sport that.
Speaker 7: You're, so, CONSUMED with yeah no i think it'd Be reminiscent of WHEN pele came to. Nasl, in the seventies yeah in, the late early eighties Like that was the cosmo, sold out, Every STADIUM you know and i can't it's got to be the same field because when you're so accomplished, at the international level like it's one thing, for the you know the the average, sports, FAN to, Say, oh i know messi but this is someone that you grew up idolizing and watching him Win all, kinds of, european titles you know and, Being the you know blundo or winner player on the planet six or seven times, or whatever it is and now you're sharing. The, field with them yeah it would Be Like. Playing with michael jordan it's the, same type of, feel and you know very few people on the plant get the opportunity to spend even a moment with. SOME of these greats i.
Speaker 1: Have a little bit of a non sequitor odd QUESTION for you that i wanted to ASK you today when i saw you on the, rundown and you know we're right smack dab in THE Middle of The nba draft with, Round one last. Night Round two tonight and i'm always fascinated at the dynamic of the synergies between front offices and coaching staffs and how that manifests and pertains. To decision making processes and every front, office does it, different and quite frankly even front offices that are essentially, set up the same they, do a different too because, people are just different and, personalities are just different and, priorities are just different and experiences. Are not the same how is, The? Process coming along pablo you've had, a lot of changeover and the weird thing is a lot of changeover in the mid some Really good success like elliott did build a, team that was successful and you COACHED a team that i thought was the most, exciting we've. Had here maybe ever but now there's, a new ownership group there's a. New primary decision maker you were let's see here strongly encouraged to embrace. Your new Insistent coaches is. How i'll put that how is this process coming along, with the different ownership, the different front, office the different coaches and all the personnalities you have in the, rooms, Where it, happens sorry hamilton fans to try to kind of figure out how you guys are going to make.
Speaker 3: This work.
Speaker 7: As far as the draft, moving forward next, year.
Speaker 1: Just, in general just everything, whether it's you know the synergies to try to sign players or. Just, The Project, overall jason tony kirk. You, The, whole thing.
Speaker 7: Yeah well the one thing and that hasn't. Changed from last year whilst quite a few players have come and. Gone from last year the one thing that we stick to as both front office and coaching. Staff is, OUR processes you know i think the one thing is the because it takes time to develop really deep relationships like, those don't happen overnight and so the processes help us continue to be in the rooms, after all the games when there's big decisions to be, made about a player we're all in the same room were we. All have, open dialogue you know we, we the you know the best idea wins and how are the best idea as far as how we're going to go through the process wins and so it's super collaborative And and and, and i'll, say that you know the, the change of, ownership whilst you know it just seems like it's a trans there's there's now there's there's a new ownership group and, and THEIR vision is, like i said earlier is to Build A team that salt lake fans can really wrap their arms around for for. Many years to come and so that that's obviously trying To Keep Players like diego diego luna and and some, Of our you know mechanelli and some of these players that are going to be the core. Players of THE team and so i think we're all. Aligned ON those things and i think that that comes from having deeper relationships. Than this, Business titles you KNOW oftentimes it's a gm and a coach and those, two Have different PERSPECTIVES and kurt and i also have. Different PERSPECTIVES at times but i think it's the it's the communication within the constant communication within that relationship that helps us both find a good middle ground to move. Forward as, a group you Know and That involves jason and tony and the coaching staff and, then, Ownership as WELL right and so i think whilst it's been a, LOT of moving parts i think the consistency and the same people in the room at least from the front office, and the coaching staff has allowed for this transition to be as seamless as possible whilst working to improve. The group moving forward.
Speaker 1: So the annual and every, time this, COMES out you know i always just kind of find it and are interesting to. Dig through this list so the total roster spend list was released and maybe YOU guys have well i know you, have access to this but, when it becomes public it becomes. Something that people, debate and you, know as of now you, Guys, are third love yeah the Third Lowest payroll. In major league soccer how does something like that land with the head coach, of.
Speaker 7: The, TEAM again, YOU know i know i know you hate, hearing me say this but like that stuff is beyond. My beyond our control, there's there's you know at. Least beyond my control my job IS to make SURE i do everything i can to get the best out of the. Players, that we have obviously there's there's room for. Growth in that department and we're working steadfastly to to to improve the group, and bringing you, know some difference makers both in the attacking side. And the defensive side, and so you know things obviously haven't gone the way they have the way. We Wanted them to but i'm, always THE eternal optimist and i think that through the struggles that we had in the first, PART of The season i, mean I'VE seen it and i felt that the maturity of the group going through. Some very difficult times and now if we can stabilize a group and get a couple more good results and then bring, IN some difference makers i think we'll set ourselves up for a good run in the second, half of the season but more importantly. Next year and beyond so whilst the current situation is, IT has, been difficult, i think you know given that we have, MONEY and to spend i think it allows us to now really be precise and the type of, player that we want type of, character that we want and the position that we need in order to. Really make a.
Speaker 1: PUSH you love when i. Ask you those questions it. JUST makes your day i know how. MUCH you enjoy it i appreciate your. WILLINGNESS to, answer it i mean look, In a roundabout way i'm trying to, get your back right and that's kind of.
Speaker 7: Like, GIVE the guys, YEAH i get, it i get it, but you also. Understand like my STANDPOINT sure if if i look, at It that perspective and i'm Just the victim and, I'm not helping this i'm not trying. To find A solution i'm just, i'm just, you know you know. They're just tossing blame and ONE of the things i never. DO is blame anyone i always, look AT myself, first, and i go man we, Got, to do, better, pablo let's go, man we. Got this you know and so. That's just my, MINDSET but but yeah i think you, need to, represent uh you know level of consistency, and and you know elite performers to be perennial playoff to be, a PERENNIAL playoff team and i think, we're working towards that probably not as fast as, some people would like but just know that the work is getting. Done behind the, SCENES and uh again i believe in the direction we're moving in and really proud of the uh, the way you know the. Guy played last game the guys have trained the last couple of weeks. Leading INTO this game so i think we're we've got some. Positive momentum moving forward.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like going third person is an accurate? Portrayal, of your, Humility pablo, Just kidding. I'll stop i'll stop.
Speaker 7: I'm just there's, Somebody, that lives upstairs spence and and. That's just the truth and he's he's always digging in and he's always trying to get. Me to do more but it's not third person like the the guy that's better, than it's third person like there's there's some there's some Person living upstairs that. I'm ALWAYS dealing, with.
Speaker 1: Now i, Know man. I'm look I'M impossible it's why. I can't stay married so. That's that's, The deal? All right moving on you. Reference, your last game Uh Let's Start, with johnny johnny russell who we've been waiting to see fit and inform and, opens his bank account as the, Soccer folk will say. So let's start there uh what was that like for you to see? Him tally that goal and then expand as far as what you? Like, THE performance Overall.
Speaker 7: Yeah i think i'll start with just. The collective, team, PERFORMANCE you know again i think in soccer the ideal is score a couple of goals. And GIVE nothing up and i think, from top to bottom the guys, that started the game the guys that came in the game really. Had A great impacts so i would look at that as. A collective Team, performance and, then johnny you know we brought him in because we felt like we could use we can, lean on his experience but also, he can make PLAYS and. YOU know i can i can show you probably twenty five other times in the season where we had the Same similar situation that johnny was in and he. Just CAPITALIZED on, it and, i think you know as he, WAS dribbling the ball i knew exactly what he was thinking as he was, cutting across the field is that he's going to go near post on the goalkeeper and use the other players a screen so the. Goalkeeper couldn't see it and, those, are, things that like, again we train them but it's one thing to. Train it without pressure it's another thing to have the game feel, like, A TRAINING session right and i think you have to be so calm and poised in those moments that are, really HECTIC and Fast and i think johnny's experience and his quality really a. Lot of to do, so so you know he's been he's been struggling with a little. Bit OF an adductor but i believe that he'll be in a good, way for you know this, game at the weekend and and hopefully you know, he's going back HOME uh to k c and you know, he's got you know he's he's really pumped. Up for this game so both him and an extra motivational aspect to their performance THIS. Weekend, heading into skc.
Speaker 1: Oh, He's. Got to play boblo he's tell him to take whatever you. Need for the abductor he's Got, to play On, saturday doesn't.
Speaker 7: He yeah on. One leg he'd play it would just be it'd be impossible for him not to be. Out in the field and and and again it was. Just a little strained we, were cautious, with it you know, given that you know he those were his first forty five minutes and he left the. Game with an adductor, but he's recovered well he's, trained great this, week he's been, sharp he's BEEN bright, and like i said more, importantly than. Anything else he's motivated.
Speaker 1: And if we're Going to crack on diogo because he, has and played well we need to give him flowers from when he does something he Tally the assist on johnny's goal with a. Very, nice through.
Speaker 7: Ball yeah and and the play that actually before he actually played the through ball spence with some high level technical Work yep to like bob and we between, two or three guys and and this is What we've seen in diega when he's, playing at. His best you know and and and. REALLY you're absolutely right i think it's a moment to really mentioned how hard you know he's worked in these last couple of weeks to put himself in position to play as well as he did and contribute on a. Really really, important goal you know he put that ball In. The play for, johnny and YOU know and so i can't say enough, things because, you know in sports everyone, thinks it's it's uh, everyone's, Got it easy right these, guys are well, paid everything's you know what what. Could possibly we're on but we're all human beings and and, and we all suffer and we all go through good. Times and BAD times and and i think when professional athletes are going, through a tough time it's times one hundred because of the, scrutiny from the public and it's. And it's NOT easy and So i see What i've seen in diego is really this evolution of a man in a way, that has you know he's going through probably one of the most difficult, parts of his life but then steps on the field and is one, of our best players if not our best. Player on the weekend so really proud of him and really excited to see what he can continue building. As we, move.
Speaker 1: Forward, All right last thing i'll set you loose on this kind of a sneaky big game for a Number, Of, different reasons SATURDAY namely you and skc are right. Next to each, Other they've got. Nineteen you've got eighteen wanting to, keep that momentum rolling so give us. A little helped update do you have a chance to repeat your starting eleven for the? First time in? Months which is wild what are We? Expecting to see saturday how do you?
Speaker 3: Come?
Speaker 1: Away with, THREE.
Speaker 7: Yeah you know i think, FOR us it's again i think we've learned a lot from the games that, we've played so far and the one thing is the way we get after the BALL. Was REALLY against dc and i think when we press higher up the field. And we cause turnovers now We got Guys like Gozo and reilly and johnny in positions, to REALLY counter right and i think that's going. TO be really important i think the heat will. Play a, big factor so again dominating game or controlling the game with the ball will. Be another, critical aspect you know They had a, game wednesday or yesterday and so how can we really dictate the? Game WITH the ball and i think that. Will be the key so, We've got to execute we've we've, got to you know take our. Chances when they come but more importantly is how can we control the flow of the? Game WITH the ball and i think we have the.
Speaker 1: Team to, Do, that all right buddy thanks, For the time today best of. Luck throughout the. Weekend We'll, Chat.
Speaker 7: Soon, Awesome Spence Thanks buddy boblo.
Speaker 1: Master runny ourself Back, at action On Saturday. A sporting kansas city that's a six Thirty First Kick. At children's mercy park it Can BE SEEN On Apple. TV mls Season pass i got ROUND Two of. The nba draft tonight we coround one for you from start, to finish last night which means your boy got home, at about ten o'clock a nice little eight. Hour radio shift yesterday we'll. SEE what tonight brings i believe it's only four minutes Between picks. Tonight, for round two however WE Do have the nhl draft coming Up Tomorrow and the utah mammoth will draft fourth overall after receiving. A little Lottery Luck and the utah mammoth, Also made a trade so we'll talk about that AND a bunch more nhl offseason stuff, with our Next Guest, the great neil Smith back on The. Drive, On A, thursday, neil happy thursday? Sir how are.
Speaker 2: You i'm. Real good thank you that was quite A, Trade for the mammoth.
Speaker 1: So let's start. There let's, start There You Know ultimately josh don michael kesserline two players that a lot of people around here. Liked an awful lot but let's get to. Know this new player It looked like the sabers were gonna part WAYS. RESTRICTED free agent jj I. Think it's peterca is how, You? Say the name neil tell us about this young man and what do you.
Speaker 2: Think, of the Trade well He's, A, german FROM munich germany and i think it's A. Great trade for utah if you go strictly on, getting the best player they definitely. Got the best player peterca's got twenty seven goals last, year sixty eight. Points is a threat he's a definite upgrade for the HOCKEY club or want, i say hockey club you still called. The team's hockey clubs i'm not saying that. As, the OLD name Sure But. I like michael kesslering, he's a big kid and you know it. Brings some real size but when you get a chance to Get, a guy like paca you've got to part with. A Couple Of guys and josh done, is only twenty three but that's The. Same age as patka so That's Great for the utah mammoth because they're. Getting a young guy and as we've talked, about so many times this is. Like their free agent that he's. Not a free agent, it was a, trade but, it's like you know free agency coming.
Speaker 1: Early for this, team twenty seven goals forty one Assists, last year for potika. Sixty eight points overall so let's dig in. A little bit deeper. He's a right Winger. YOU mentioned, He's german i mean i've got some stuff in front. Of me right now he, looks like. A big sturdy Kid So for our utah, mammoth fans out here let's dig. A little bit deeper exactly what type? Of player is he where do you think he fits? The top six four do you think he's? On the front line how do you? THINK it plays out.
Speaker 7: I think he.
Speaker 2: Could he could end up. On the first line he's certainly end up. On the, power play you know he's an offensive. Threat all the time he played seventy seven games and. Got sixty eight points so you're almost at a Point Of game on buffalo sabers who didn't make the playoffs and didn't. Have a GREAT season and if i, WANT to be sarcastic I could say that utah might Be Headed for the stanley Cup because they have buffalo has traded away so many guys that have Ended Up, winning The Stanley Cup, like sam ryan hart and just to mention one and, a number of others that maybe luck Will have it with utah this time and peterca will End up in a Utah Jersey. Winning The, Stanley Cup.
Speaker 1: Love it love it five year contract extension average annual value is about. Seven point seven mil what are your thoughts On The deal That. Bill armstrong, gave paterca.
Speaker 2: You, know it's, the money of course is to normal everyday, folks is crazy money but it's where the player would be because of the production he's getting it and the production that he. Will Get going forward And i'm sure that bill and His staff have analyzed paterca a lot better than me and see that a real bright future. In front Of him, and again i'll emphasize he's only twenty three years old by the. Time the contract's over he's still in his, prime at twenty eight so he's going to have to live. Up to those numbers that's a lot of money for a kid that. Scored TWENTY seven goals but i would imagine that, they see, in him you know him getting better and better, as time goes on and that's why they were willing.
Speaker 3: To do that.
Speaker 1: Contract do you think this trade and this acquisition changes The approach? For tomorrow night's, Draft not at.
Speaker 2: All not at all, they'll TAKE the well, if i were them when the first, three guys get picked, whoever's the best player, no matter what position no matter what, country he comes, from no matter anything. That's who you take you don't draft based on position. Or anything like that, at that high pick get the best player you can possibly get in figure it out later if, you've got you know if it's a center that's available and, you've already got centers. Don't worry about it and, if it's a defenseman, you've already got Defenseman DON'T worry about so i think they'll get a real good. Player at number four Probably Won't, play in, salt lake you, know this coming season but they'll definitely. Get a good.
Speaker 1: Player so before we get to the specifics of, what tomorrow could bring just take us behind THE scenes of a nhl front office THE Night. Before the nhl draft What's going on with bill and his staff right now is they prepare to. Make the, selections tomorrow.
Speaker 2: You know they're just having more meetings and it is not up in the air who they're going to pick. For them right now they already know who the top four players, are in the draft, according to their staff. And they're well prepared they're probably talking a lot. ABOUT their second pick i don't have it in front of me where their second pick, is IN the draft but i would think they're spending more of their time trying to figure out who the, fourth guy would be because they know who they've got as, the top four guys and whoever's the best of those top four would be the guy that they'll. Take at number four.
Speaker 1: So let's move over now TO what tomorrow. And i could, bring and you know obviously it depends on what happens, in front. Of them, does it you know once upon a time it felt like number. One was Being debated but, Everything, i'm reading today neil is That It will be Matthew. Shaeffer to the islanders? Is that your understanding that's my.
Speaker 2: Understanding that he is he is pretty clear cut. The best, player there you know there's some there's always Some talk because the Islanders Have our Our long island and hagen's Who Played it in, hockey east This Year is from long island and He Grew, Up in long, island so you know would you wouldn't you try to. Get the hometown kid but you can't do that WHEN you're. Running an nhl Team you've got to you've got to take the best player. And Buy everybody's accounts matthew shaffer, is the best player and, he's A big defenseman and i would Imagine that's where.
Speaker 1: The islanders will Go so if, It's shaefer a one i've got a mock draft, in front of me do you Feel Like it's the michael? Mesa kidd It too that's.
Speaker 2: What i'm Hearing that. That's What i'm hearing michael misa. WOULD go number two a lot Of people. Don't have hagins three they. Got other somebody, else but you know once you get past, them very high guys it doesn't always go in any predictable manner, because what's you know what's one person's taste in the player, is not another person so you can. Always depend ON that but so i don't think it's clear cut that these are the. Definitely the top Three but, From what I'm hearing mesa and schaeffer. Are the top, Two and you know misa. Could go number one he. Had a remarkable season he got thirty more points than ANYBODY else in the. Ohl and that's remarkable he got sixty two goals. In sixty five games but they're hard, to get Franchise Defenseman and if matthew schaffer's a lot of, as a franchise defenseman they're probably. GOING To Go There.
Speaker 1: Ohl ontario hockey league it seems like a lot of these young prospects. You're playing up there tell our listeners about this and what sort of league it is and how it prepares these young men TO. Play, in the nhl well and then, That's.
Speaker 2: A good question spence because you know your listeners are mostly used to players being. Drafted, out of college YES that's where the, nba players come from AND a lot of nhl players come, out of college too but they also come Out Of The three canadian major junior, leagues what they're called and going, from west To East That's, the western hockey league which has all The. Teams west of Ontario You Have, the ontario hockey league, which has you know most of Their. Teams are in Ontario they do have, Erie In you know erie. Pennsylvania's in that league and Then You Have The Quebec major junior Hockey League and the memorial cup is the tournament at the end of the season between the three leagues to see who's going to win the big trophy for. All of junior hockey IT'S, it's a mini nhl to be honest with Your junior hockey in canada is the Closest Representation To the national hockey league and what you've, got to do there the travel and all, the rest of it and the game itself is is IT. Like a mini nhl so that's why a lot of scouts and teams prefer to take guys out of. The MAJOR junior hockey but i think That it is now college hockey is every bit as good at BREEDING ground for the nhl. As the, junior leagues.
Speaker 1: You actually you're getting good of this because you just answered. My Follow up question but i'm going to ask it anyway to elaborate of all, of the potential avenues of all, of the, potential pathways you know when it comes, to these different leagues when it comes to, these different you know avenues that, these young men take, whether it's college HOCKEY whether it's the ohl, or what have you is there a clear cut, Preferred, PATH, Way, again college ohl. International Whatever it is because i've got this mock draft in Front of me and i'm seeing like even throughout the FIRST, ten there's THE, whl there's the ohl there's the Q m j h. Hl whatever that is then There's College.
Speaker 2: That's The Quebec. Major, Junior hockey league.
Speaker 1: Okay so, Of, all the pathways neil is there a preferred one you look at as a roster constructor and a decision, maker, to feel like yes they're prepared the best. Because, they did, this.
Speaker 2: Uh you. KNOW not not, Really i mean there i'll. Give you some examples Connor. McDavid played for erie that's where he Was drafted By. By edmonton from erie, His His sidekick there Drii. Title played in germany uh and so there there's. Two totally different places, You can you know meithan McKinnon Played, in the quebec league. Who's a great player so they come from. All over the place and and there's a lot of great college players that ARE coming, into the nhl now so there's really not. A preferred meth place there used to be a very prejudicial to junior players because, they would they. Understood and they weren't they weren't, out getting an education they were. Out to play hockey but that's. Not the case anymore it's it's really not that now you're. GETTING them from everywhere i just found out today and Realized that Today that michael kessel Ring, Was Born. IN florence south carolina. I didn't realize that i don't. THINK he lived there i think he was just born there and his DAD. PLAYED in the echl i didn't. Know all That stuff but what, i'm Saying to you why, i'm bringing that up is the players are coming from all over the place now and there's really not one hockey hotbed like.
Speaker 1: There used, To be all right, so to your point we don't know what the first. Three picks will be it Does feel like the shaeffer kid is, the consensus number One and every Mack i've, Seen has mesa too and then it seems. To, Get Pretty interesting uh anton FRONDELL is the mak i have in front of Me. Going Three to chicago brady martin is the name that This Mock has. The Utah mammoth taking but i've seen Another mock that has porter martone, the Selection at four and porter is a big forward, that prior to yesterday this hockey, club did not have but now they. Have one, of those any thoughts Then There's the aforementioned james HAGEN'S. Kid out of bc Any thoughts on who bill and His staff land on tomorrow night when the. Fourth pick, is called.
Speaker 2: You know There's There's talking about brady martin That Plays. In sus saint, marie i'd be, guessing to, Be honest he spins i'm just gonna flat. Out and say it I'D be guessing if i said WHO they're gonna who i. THOUGHT they would take i don't have the expertise, on THESE young kids but i do see some of the on some of The rating things that hagen's has fallen, down in people's mind. So you'd never know you Don't know what intel bill and his staff have on. All these particular players there's also psychological inventory testing done that way to see, what kind of character what kind of, Personality you're dealing with so then that comes. Into play on it so we'll just have. To WAIT and see and i think your guest at this point. Is, everybody's goroo's, mind.
Speaker 3: Well, You.
Speaker 1: KNOW it's interesting neil I was on A zoom call with bill two days ago Prior to, the p turko deal and he's very calculated with his messaging and he's very careful. NOT to, Promise anything i mean i've told you this anecdote when the introductory press conference took place where the fan base here was meeting that team, for the first time several of whom probably didn't have any frame of reference for what they were witnessing or how good or. Bad this team was it was just excitement that We Had, hockey In salt lake and liam O'Brien took the mic and really fired Up The Audience At. Delta center spicy, tuna people Started chanting and when bill had the opportunity, to address the, crowd, he basically said look everyone, knows We're. Still rebuilding right like he's very, careful about setting expectations and the messaging during his zoom call was the continued patients and the continued long game and the continued we're making good decisions one by one and we'll see. How it stacks up so reasonable expectations probably for either the fourth pick or the, rest Of The moves uh Pert turkas twenty, three, TO your point like i don't know that this is a front office that's in ANY hurried ex but. I have this process i think they're very committed to what they've already done and aren't going to continue to see it through, until it's you know the finished product. On, the other side.
Speaker 2: Well and that's smart, because first of all keeping every, in anything in life, keeping expectations in check is smart because you get yourself in a world to hurt if you start over promising and under delivering in the. IN the hockey business i think. That that's real smart the teams That Are, elite, teams edmonton florida obviously. They weren't built overnight they didn't just go bang and, get it, and work you. Know become that good it took many years and thoughtful construction. To GET them there and I would imagine that, bill's in, his mind, he's going you know this. Is the same THING now you and i have talked about their chances to Make the, Playoffs last next year i'm still going TO stick. To what i said they're going to be fighting to get into. The wild, card spot, you know last Year At this time Steve Eiserman And the detroit red wings thought that they'd be a playoff team or could be a playoff team, coming up this. Season it didn't happen things went wrong and. It just Didn't Happen and had steve eiserman, come, out and said oh we're going to make, The playoffs this year well now every but he's ticked, off because you know you said you'd make the. Playoffs and you didn't it's always better to over deliver and under promise and make. Everybody Happy THAT way but i'm I don't have a i don't have, A Job to lose so i'm going TO tell you that i think that there's A good chance for utah this, season to you know bang on the door of the wild CARD spots.
Speaker 1: Any other i know you guys just recorded, a free agent. Primer a draft primer so outside of the deals, that we've already discussed what are the main, storylines regarding, player acquisition player retention players that could be on the move that you guys. Are HONED in on before I Say, you lose, neil.
Speaker 2: Well you know there was a lot of we had a lot of talk about the big guys that are that are free their, usas unrestricted free Agents And of Course mitch marner from toronto heads the list because he's Not, going back to, toronto his home town so he's going to be out. There Looking for megabuck sam bennett has said at some of the celebrations That he's staying in florida and he Wants, To stay in florida so we'll see. WHAT happens with that i can't, imagine him being, like Let, you know letting Florida Letting, him leave brad marshan the elder, statesman of the team, thirty seven years old but prove that he's. An awesome playoff player he's out there and, he's been a leader he's Been Captain. Of the boston ruins we talked. About all those Guys we talked about florida and could they keep their team together And The job that bill, zito had done so and then We also talked about connor McDavid in his contract because he's got one year to go AND then He's a ufa if edmonton, lets IT get there which i will never imagine that they'll. Let It get there but connor McDavid came out last week and said he's in no hurry to, get a contract done that he wants to know that the team is going to be trying to win every year and doing everything they Can to Win a stanley cupany edmonton before he's. Going to resign there so that's a lot of the stuff that, we've been talking about and we'll have to wait and See. What happens on monday we're talking about tampering to a little bit because that's so obvious that that Goes on, Before The, july first because spence if If anybody announces on july first that they signed somebody, anytime before two o'clock they didn't make a deal in two. Hours on those things so DO you know what i mean the last year they were announcing deals. AT twelve, oh five i mean if you can do a seven year, deal in five. Minutes. That's, pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah look it. Happens in every sport how do, You govern that, though like YOU, KNOW, WHETHER, it's nhl nfl nba it's so very blatantly obvious. That it goes down but is there really any?
Speaker 2: Way to stop it there really isn't because there's so many. Ways to get, information so you know it's if somebody lets the cat. Out of the bag that's about the only. Way that you know somebody wants to, screw, somebody and say well you know so, And so called me and it's not the general managers. That are doing it they're not going to call anybody and, put themselves out there but they've got people that will get information and can find out if this. Guy wants to play is There Any chance that sam bennett, Will, Sign with you tody you talk if somebody, talks to his agents somebody, talks to his parents somebody, talks to his brother somebody talks, to somebody and says Tell me it was sam going to? Consider any place else, and, if, they said, oh yeah he is he definitely wants to see what well you, think, he'd, considers all like yeah for sure. If the money's there you know that. Those kinds of, Conversations you go BACK you tell the gm now he's. Waiting to see it like, They don't negotiate anything i'm sure or that that, would be really dumb but they do get their feelers out there and. Find, Out what's possible.
Speaker 1: Neil where can people go find the podcast that you guys you, know do in general but also that you Just Did On the Free Agent primer and draft primer and the. Draft, is tomorrow night.
Speaker 2: Yeah just go to our, website nhlraproound dot com Or go On to Apple or spotify or iHeart or any place where you listen to podcasts and see if there are YouTube if you. Want to watch, It But it's yeah pierre lebron was on and. He was really good we HAD before THAT and i think i mentioned this. To you Last Week we had pat verbikon who Had just traded For Crider and now pat verbeek made another big trade this Past Week and Trading. Trevor ziegrish to philadelphia that's going to be real interesting To see if if siegris turns out to be A Good player with rick, talkett as his coach and that's gonna that's gonna be. A very, interesting one but anyway there's always news going on at. This, Time of year.
Speaker 1: Neil thank you, sir always a pleasure a FUN perspective on. The eva the draft to have a great. Weekend with chat soon thank you and Good.
Speaker 2: Luck to, The, mammoth.
Speaker 1: Yes indeed Yes Indeed the great neil smith roster constructor at. The highest Of Levels one a Stanley Cup with The Blue Sweaters the new york rangers, in nineteen ninety Four Work For the detroit red Wings And Also. The new york islanders CHECK Out His. Podcast nhl wrap Around get THEM. On twitter at nyc neil is, where you. Find Them All Right the utah stampede rodeo. Is on, the way extreme bulls extreme bulls. Porter not just, bulls here. You go extreme bulls you.
Speaker 3: KNOW what.
Speaker 1: That means I do. OF course i do i. Am an extreme. Bowl there you go we learned yesterday that you used to ride small bulls. As, a small child?
Speaker 4: UH subjected to it i?
Speaker 1: Guess subjected. To it all right you Can find Tickets at ute. Stamped Rodeo Dot Com that's ute. Stampede Rodeo dot com it's july the ninth through The. Twelfth and. Nephi utah all right coming up, on the other side it's time for little sports court With our Friends. From handy, and handy all. Right show ron along today we are joining studio once Again by Our Friend Melissa From south sleep medical unless how? Are you?
Speaker 3: Doing great.
Speaker 1: All right so snoring if you are going about at night and maybe you, don't even know it but you wake up and your partner's mad at you because they haven't, slept because you're snoring what would that indicate as far as maybe some issues that people are having to? Get, better quality. Sleep okay, good.
Speaker 8: Question you know snoring is actually. A pretty big deal it's way more.
Speaker 3: Than an.
Speaker 8: ANNOYING noise you know i even have, some, people, THAT think well, gosh i sleep, alone nobody hears me? What's the big deal snoring is a RED. Flag, for sleep atna essentially what it means is you're trying to, breathe through this narrowed kind, of pinch straw airway and what happens is your tissues at the back of your throat because, of that narrowed airway now they can hit or kind of flap or. Vibrate against each other what that means is your, Oxygen is too low you're, not getting enough air and it's a big RED flag for sleep atna that it, can lead to many many harmful health.
Speaker 1: Consequences, down the road yeah poor sleep, effects your overall, health, high blood, press, depression heart Problems. Stroke, And, even alzheimer's so melissa what sort of benefits have your client seen after going through the study and? Getting, Better, sleep.
Speaker 8: Overall okay well of course your partner is going to be love that you're, Quiet during the night but even, more important for you as, the one that's snoring your airway's. Going to be open you just have to. Use this custom. Mouthguard it's really easy it's. Not a seapat machine. It's like bleach trace it's going to, be the perfect size. Perfect fit for you again the, snoring will go away but also your airways going to be open wide enough so that your oxygen stays up and that is going to benefit you. In so, many ways and frankly you'll just age better. As you get older.
Speaker 1: And the nice thing is we are not asking you to go check into a. Hospital for a week you can do all of this from the convenience. Of your, own home yeah right.
Speaker 8: It's, An at home test, so if, you're snoring. Don't procrastinate call, in it is free it's at home. In your own bed but let's make sure your snoring is. Not something more serious.
Speaker 1: And what's that special i'll offer you for listeners who call you. Today, during the show.
Speaker 8: Hey the number to, call eight oh one three three five. Nine eight two four you can also find us in schedule. At soundsleepmedical dot com, when you do that you will automatically get a free sleep screening or this test you get to do at home, in your own bed free sleep consultation where we'll sit down with you in the office and give you. Results totally no obligation and then, just by doing that everybody gets entered into A Drawing for our. Better sleep gift basket which, includes a minky blanket purple pillow And a fifty. Dollars amazon gift Card.
Speaker 1: Six, Locations, In, Utah Clearfield Murray, sandy american fork provo and all the Way Down, south in saint george.
Speaker 2: A cold and?
Speaker 1: Risk oh hell yes is this in honor of like the big bulls That the rodeo bros are going to be riding coming Up in the Five here, We go?
Speaker 3: Extreme?
Speaker 1: Bowls extreme bowls extreme is there a term for the mini bulls? THAT the kids ride. I think that's it i think it's, just The mini bulls Got mini bowls and? Extreme bowls? Coming? Up it is uh is? It officially rodeo season as our unofficial rodeo experts is that. It's, it's rodeo season yes.
Speaker 4: You, get around You, know fourth of, july, you Get around uh into June. And into, into august that's.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: That's rodeo season. Yeah the extreme bulls, just to be clear those. Are like all stars they're like they're from different stock, Contractors, If You will okay uh so they're coming all around the country to meet up with.
Speaker 1: The best bull riders so do. Do like scouts goalie the. Measurements, of the bulls yeah SO it's.
Speaker 4: Like the nba draft, these are animal athletes uh as you will hear them called.
Speaker 1: On on rodeo venues.
Speaker 4: Uh and yeah they get scored just as the, uh the bull riders the. Rough stock fellas do.
Speaker 1: It seems like it's, SOME somewhat, cruel correct i mean as somebody who loves animals, and loves bull riding how do you how do you ascertain your feelings? Between the yes dynamic.
Speaker 4: There are certain events that are a. Little UNEASY TO me but i i guess my justification for it is rodeo more so started with making events out of like ranching things, that, you're doing anyway, Right you're roping cattle you're you're, living off the land and you're also having to break this horse and so you can ride, it and you know use it as a tractor before. Tractors were a thing that's. Where rodeo was born now it's become more, Of A sport obviously but i guess that's my my justification for.
Speaker 1: It, is the, ROOTS okay fair enough i will see to you when it comes to. Topics such as this you HAVE the knowledge. That i do not we need to get. You, on, a bull. No dude not, Now. I'M forty seven bro i tore my meniscus. Golfing two years ago i'm not. Getting on a, Bowl fair, fair enough all right let's, get out Of here coming up ROUND Two, of the nba? Draft because, Why, not all right porter before we, get out of here you are in charge. Of the program tomorrow i'm taking a quickly weekend to see a BUDDY of mine that i haven't seen for. A number of years so what comes Our way.
Speaker 4: On a Friday show on a Friday, Edition of The Drive we'll have, andy larson stopping by of course post ROUND Two. Of The nba Draft chris camaranie a friday. Staple on the show WE'LL Get a little pga tour leaderboard Update from Our guy paul hug meyer, out on The Links and then matt brown. STOPS by the show a, lot of college football a lot of business of college, sports news this week including some realignment with. Some in state teams so we'll get To All that with.
Speaker 1: Matt brown, and more all, right there You go so. Give port your attention tomorrow is gonna be working hard to make sure the show is IN good hands while i just. Take a minute off I'll. Be back on monday we'll say Good night for. This thursday show Special Thank, You To, Richard, Smith Pablo, master johnnie neil smith and Our Good friends at sports court for the sound you MAY have missed, websites espn Seven, hundred sports dot com download our mobile app and take. Us on the go best way to listen to THE station is our espn seven hundred app that's available For Free in The App Store. The google play store then for what we do in our space every, afternoon for four hours check out Our Podcast pages Called. The drive. With spence check hits it's available wherever. You, get your Show subscribe rate review sandi's, things in the comments give. Us all the. Stars It Actually helps reporter i'm spence saying tonight coming up, on the other side More Of. Me And richard smith it's ROUND Two of the nba draft coming UP right here on espn seven HUNDRED. Ninety too and ffm we are proud To BE Part of. Utah's espn radio network