Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome to the Heat Check, episode number thirty two. I'm your host, Nathan Graham. The format is going to be a little bit different today. Instead of going down the minor league ladder like usual, I've invited some members of the prospect team at Baseball Perspectives to join me and we're going to discuss some of the players that have caught our attention so far in twenty twenty six. So joining me today our old friends Ben Spanier, Eli Walsh, and also a little bit later in the show, we're going to check in on some names you should know for the upcoming draft, and for that we will be talking to BP newcomer Liam Murphy. So let's jump right in, and I want to find out who you've seen this year that stood out for me. I cover the Midwest League and I feel like the talent levels down a little bit there this year. But for me so far this year, it's been Red's catching prospect Alfred of Duno, who stands out as the top talent in the league. Well, I'm gonna start with Ben, and Ben, you've been the hardest working man on the staff covering all the White Sox recent call ups. You've been really busy and you've got a lot of talent down in your area. Ben, you cover both the Caroline and the Sally League. Who's the top bat you've seen this season?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, thank you for the introduction. You know what, it's it's a great day, not only for the White Sox major league team apparently, but they you know, there's some minor league development going on, and one of the later guys I'm gonna mention is maybe a bit of a less herald of guy they've had working. And yeah, both my local teams, Winston Salem Dash and the Greensboro Grasshoppers in the Sally League, they have both had really.
Speaker 3: Good lineups this year. So I have been lucky.
Speaker 2: I've got a hitter and a pitcher because I happened to be fortunate with the timing here. Linton Blue Rocks were in town hya with the Nationals and Eli Willitts just got called up, and you know, he'd had a good first couple of months at Fredericksberg, you know, and I knew, of course, you.
Speaker 3: Know, straft status, he really needs no introduction.
Speaker 2: So but you know, I hadn't I hadn't had the idea his skill set would be that flashy or anything.
Speaker 3: You know, and you know in the end that is the case.
Speaker 2: But I will say, you know, the first thing you think when you see him as man, that guy's not not very big, and I don't really think he's going to get that much bigger. But and you know, he is definitely a sum of you know, the sum of his parts is more than the individual parts kind of player.
Speaker 3: But I mean that in a lat of tory.
Speaker 2: Way in this case because if you know, if he's above average to plus in the particular areas that I think he will be, you know, he's a star because he's quite a good defensive short stole up, very advanced, good range, really soft hands, just making all the plays.
Speaker 3: The only thing I think in the.
Speaker 2: Field that may not be plus is his arm, and I still think that's above average. You know at the plate, I don't think his raw powers gonna be that crazy. But you know, I'm just was kind of blown away. You know, he's eighteen years old the first week in Hya and you know, he's just got a great command of the zone. He has an early count approach and a later count approach. So I've seen him kind of slap the ball the other way. But also he was.
Speaker 3: Playing in.
Speaker 2: You know, it's a for hitters hitting friendly park Greensboro. You know, famously, if I have anything to say about it, because I do mention it all the time, it actually scouting a little bit harder. He really makes. You know, it's another kind of thing you have to think about. But you know, he is really good at jumping on mistakes and sort of yanking them over the right field wall from the left side of the place switch hitter. I know more about his lefty hitting simply because I've seen more of its lefty hitting. But like you know, bad breaking balls, bad fastballs. It's just like he knows the wall is right there, and you know, he's just like, yeah, I'm gonna jump on this and hit it out. And it's not like it's not like a hugely like twitchy bat or anything.
Speaker 3: It's just like his hands are very.
Speaker 2: Good and then he just like guides them to the ball, and you know, it just seems that part of the game seems pretty easy for him. So I think that in the end, you know it, I think his game it's going to be better than his raw power.
Speaker 3: Say he gets to like twenty home runs, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I think he might have a plus hit tool too. It's very fraught, as we all know, trying to project a plus hit tool for any minor leaguer anywhere. But he's quite young and he's very advanced, so sticking a short stop. I mean, you know, even if his overall numbers are not like massive, I think he could be considered a star player essentially, you know, filling.
Speaker 3: Up all the categories.
Speaker 2: And just, real quick, another guy who doesn't need introduction, I have a picture too, real.
Speaker 1: Quick, before we get to that one, Ben, I got a quick question for you. So, so Jared did a piece for us this week at VP and he kind of laid out some of the possible names that we might see at fifty and Willis was mentioned. The power is starting to show up a little bit earlier. You you kind of talked on that. Yeah, are you ready to put him ahead of Jesus made ear Leo Devrees?
Speaker 2: You know, I know more about Moday firsthand, and Degrees because I have seen made play done a little more work on him. It's funny because in some ways, will It is a little bit similar to Maday, you know, not being a huge guy, middle infielder, my gut feeling on that is that without looking at a lot of deeper stuff, is that maybe I moday is just something about him where I think maybe it's upsides higher. But I kind of feel more confident that Will it is going to be, it's gonna get, you know, has half a higher floor. But I think that they're they're both quite They're just at their ages respectively, they're both quite advanced, so I think they're quite similar. And honestly, it's one of those times where I'm happy that Jarret and Jeffrey are deciding that Debreez is a hard one. That's one where some of you guys have seen him and not me. He might end up being higher, maybe just because I think his outside is so great. But you know, it's one of those things where I I actually didn't read Jared's piece because I didn't want to be like biased, you know, because I'm going to see Willis a lot. But of course I'm gonna read it after this since I'm filing my reports today. But like, I think he's in the conversation basically, and and he's interesting because I do think he's similar to Made in a lot of ways, and and he's quite different from Debrees, So I think I think he's in the conversation though for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, definitely, And I've got to admit i'm a little I'm a little bit jealous, Ben when you gave me the names. Not only do you have Willits in your coverage era, you also recently got to see Seth Fernandez. Yeah, and he was utterly dominant at Low Way. I know both of us do the minor league update, and I kind of got sick to put them in there. Just seemed like every start there he was again. But he stumbled a little bit in Greensboro. Tell me what you've seen there?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's funny. I think the phrase I used and I didn't really know how to write the ten pack. I kind of procrastinated on it for a couple of weeks because I see him a couple of times and I was just like, Okay, everybody knows who this dude is and what is stuff is like because the data from the Florida State League is public, right, So you know he's got a fastball that has characteristics or should be you know, maybe a seven, you know at least, and you know he's got three breaking pitches that the wiff rates he was running in the FSL were crazy, you know, I mean, you knew that wouldn't continue. It was just he's a high school guy, but he was just too advanced for low A clearly, and he's come up and something I've been a little surprised. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised. I mean at his age, is that you know, he spraised the fastball around a bit. I think he's quite athletic on the mound. He's really he looks like what you wanted to look like in terms of body and I think delivery. Though I have to admit I haven't really slowed down the video and looked for little flaws or anything. There's probably some stuff he's working on, but you know, he hasn't really located his fastball. He's been ambushed on a couple and I wonder if it's made him wonder Like the first game I saw him, he was against Winston and a couple of their lefty hitters.
Speaker 3: Again, Greensboro's got short walls, and he had a.
Speaker 2: Fastball that wasn't high enough. You know, it was more middle than up. Because his fastball will play up in the zone, and you know, he got ambushed, and you know he's been walking guys. He's been walking a lot more guys. So that's the main thing. I will say. He's got three usable secondaries already, which to me is pretty advanced. To compare him, say to now, his fastball is in the same category roughly. I saw Bubba Chandler a few years ago. Yep, secondaries are more advanced the beginning of the year in Greensboro. Bubba actually had a really hard time in the first half of the year in Greensboro a couple of years ago at a similar age. So you know, and and he's he's having his issues in the major leagues too, but he's quite talented and you know, and and all of that.
Speaker 1: That's kind of where it's going to go next. I don't remember you. I don't think you saw Skemes, but I know you saw a lot of a lot of bubb with Chandler and Jared Jones. Ye. Compared to those other two where we ranked Hernandez.
Speaker 2: I think he would be higher because secondaries are better, right, and at a younger age. And you know the thing is, I'm trying. It's hard for me still to suss out which ones will be plus and which ones are gonna be more above average ish right average to above, because there's some games where he throws that change up a lot and it's okay, but it's not like the movement's not it's not a great pitch yet. And then he has the curve ball, which has a lot of movement when he throws it, well, you know, a lot of a lot of vertical action. But as we know, and I think we've you know, our colleagues have talked about a good deal some of those up and down curveballs sometimes end of not being.
Speaker 3: As effective at higher levels.
Speaker 2: And he's got kind of a hard slider in the upper eighties, and I really think he maybe hasn't quite figured out which of those are his best pitches. But the fact that he's able to throw all of them is kind of exciting along with this great fastball. So I think I think it's you know, he's going to be a major league starter barring injury. It's just you know, Canny get to Canny become a really really high level starter, you know, and and I, But neither of those other guys were totally dominant in high A either Both of those guys gave up home runs in Greensboro too, so given that the Pirates were able to get them to where they are, I feel pretty confident about Hernandez, and I say the ingredients are there. It's may take little. I think people were getting really excited at his low A performance. I think he's still a high school pitcher and it might take a little while longer, but I think he's certainly going to get there. And I think, you know, the question is how great will he how good will he be? And you know, and for for Jared and Jeffrey, how does he compare it to some of the other top pitchers, because he's gonna be near the top of the list, I think, yeah.
Speaker 1: I think I think people saw Skens move so quick and they kind of forgot that Hernandez is a prep arm and it's gonna take some time. There's gonna be a little bit adversity there.
Speaker 3: Well, let's let's move.
Speaker 1: On out to the Northwest League and Eli Walsh, there's some really interesting bats in the league right now. And when I floated the topic to you, you went back and forth kind of between Roaldy Brito, Johnny Level and Cason Cunningham. Who did you ultimately choose on this one?
Speaker 4: Ela H. Cunningham.
Speaker 5: He was actually just promoted up to UH up to Hya earlier this week. And you know, it's a it's a hit over power profile. He really tore up the league in the you know, forty or so games that he played there. Only he only has one hit and something like twenty at bats in High A so far. But you know, we'll give him, give him a minute to get up to speed there. But yeah, you know, the high school draft pick last year for the Diamondbacks and you know, he's he's played shortstops so far.
Speaker 4: Probably doesn't end up there.
Speaker 5: He probably ends up you know, second, maybe a corner outfield spot. But the bat's gonna have to carry the profile here, and so far it has. You know, he has a you know, nice line drive swing, sprays the ball all over the all over the field, and you know, I am a little bit skeptical that there's going to be a ton of power here.
Speaker 4: It's probably going to be you know a lot of doubles.
Speaker 5: You're looking at a you know, looking at the player and hoping that this is going to be like a forty double profile rather than twenty homers, but you know he uh, you know, Cunningham was a guy who you know, hit while on the Showcase circuit last summer, and you know, you never sort of know how that's going to translate into pro ball, but you know, he's, uh, he's he's really hit the ground run in this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he has. I read your Timpac article and just kind of hearing you talk about him, I was kind of in my head trying to think of maybe a comp. I know, we don't like to do comps all the time, but Nico Horner kind of came to my mind. You know, a guy that started out at shortstop and moved to second base where he's he's a great defender at second base and more of a hit over power. Go is that is that a fair comparison or is there someone else that kind of reminds you of him?
Speaker 4: I think that's fair.
Speaker 5: Maybe a bit less speed than Horner, He's probably not gonna you know, steal a bunch of bases, and certainly not you know, as he as he gets up you.
Speaker 4: Know, higher in the minors.
Speaker 5: But yeah, you know, he's he's just sort of a generally athletic type of player. You know, probably also not as good defensively as as Horner, but as far as the bat is concerned, you know, ability to move it around the zone and and just get the bat on the ball, not strike out at time. Yeah, I think that's pretty fair.
Speaker 1: Okay, Great, So those were kind of all players that most people that follow prospects all know about. Now we're going to talk a little bit, maybe someone that might be a bit under the radar, but someone who won't be this time next year. Ben, I'm going to circle back to you. You're going to go first, and I think your hitter is one that might have done the most to improve his prospect stock through the first three months of the season, and that's Brave's outfield prospect Derek Cartman, nineteen years old, and like like Eli Willitts, he's in High A as well. Through fifty seven games, Hya he's slashing three eleven, three seventy seven six oh one. Been tell me more about.
Speaker 2: Harp Yeah, I mean I got to see him in late April, and you know, a few weeks, you know, and I wasn't really on top of the Braves that much. They had a couple guys, you know, they're frankly, they're They're Rome teams have have not been great the last couple of years. You know, they're very much, uh a top level major league team, and so you know, maybe maybe they were a bit of an of an ebb in there far, but we know they're a very good organization just by what they year after year. And it's because of guys like Hartman. You know, I saw him. He ended up jumping out to me. I'd known a little bit about him, and you.
Speaker 3: Know, not to get too far ahead. But a few weeks later I.
Speaker 2: Saw I'm one of the social media posts places that you know, a great public side evaluator, Chris Blessing with slatting him, and I said, you know what, I'm glad you know we line up this. He think he liked me even more than me. I'd like it, but I was like, okay me, and that means I'm doing something right. You know, if Chris was had liked him too, and and Chris see a lot of brave people becuse he's down in Georgia. But like it's just a couple of things with him. You know, we talk about cold weather players. He is from not only Canada, but he's from like this part of Canada that I believe is kind of like west of North Dakota. I can't remember exactly, but I looked it up. He's really a cold weather player.
Speaker 1: You know, it gets real cold in North Dakota.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so these are unscientific things. But guys like him, you know, they didn't play ever all year round, right Like you know, I knew that he'd made a couple of waves in Augusta last year, but I missed Augusta. I don't see the Carolina League always as much as I see the South Atlantic League. And and you know, the first thing is he's just his power. His power is huge. He's a great he's a big guy, but he's also a great athlete. He covers center field well, he runs the base as well. It's another one where it looks right, you know, but I think I think it looks right because it is right in some ways.
Speaker 3: I mean, he just.
Speaker 2: Moves around very well and controls himself very well, and it's very seamless kind of you can see how that athleticism manifests in the field and on the basis, and you can see it at the plate because you know, he's got a swing that's that's quick, and you know, he gets out in front of the ball well and he you know, and he has enough lift that that he's able to hit for power.
Speaker 3: I don't know if this swing will be his final swing or not.
Speaker 2: That's another thing where you know, he may you know, he's had such an age where he's doing quite well, but still even a couple of months later, I haven't seen him recently.
Speaker 3: He may still be adjusting things. I'm not sure. But the one thing I mean, maybe not.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just it's an interesting swing because it I don't really know how to explain it. It feels unorthodox. I'm not sure why to me, But anyway, it works. It's been working out for him. And the one thing I worried about was I think he has He clearly has a lot of power and he has a plan of how to get to it and attack at the you know. But you know, I I still it's the most cliche thing ever to say, And of course it's the problem. It's the question you'd rather have than the than the inverse. But see, really it gets really good breaking stuff. I want to see if he could still do it, you know, So for me, a major league profile. I mean, if he could stay in center, that would be great, and that would certainly make it for a pretty pretty nice path.
Speaker 3: You know, to be the time. But even if he has to slide to the.
Speaker 2: Corner outfield, maybe a dude who it's a bunch of home runs and maybe it's for a lower average gets on base a bunch.
Speaker 3: You know, that sounds pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what ton of wis guy. I ask you, is a what's the defense look like? Do you think he's gonna stick in center field? Or is he ultimately a corner guy.
Speaker 2: This is where I'll I'll i'll alid the question a little bit because I didn't I saw a little bit of video on him on defense, but I didn't catch him for a whole week defensively.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what we you know, we both have busy vibes.
Speaker 2: But but but but but you know, we're both out there and like, to me, he's at that age where I'll still say he's got the athleticism even though he's a bigger guy. I think he's got the movements and this and the quick jump and all of that where I think he can handle it for a for a while longer. Now do I know, I don't really, I'm not totally sure at his current stand you know, his current standpoint, how great a defender.
Speaker 3: He is with all the technical aspects.
Speaker 2: But I would say keep throwing him out in center field until it gets to a point where, you know, and then he becomes probably a pretty good corner outfielder, you know, really good one. So I would I would keep rolling with it how they are for now.
Speaker 1: Second question about Hartman here, you know the Braves are going to be active at the deadline. Is Hartman untouchable or you know every other team's gonna be asking for him? Is he one that the Braves refuse to move off of or do you think they would entertain the idea?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: You do?
Speaker 3: Oh what I do?
Speaker 4: If?
Speaker 2: I I mean, man, that's a hard question.
Speaker 3: I do think it's one of those where it depends.
Speaker 2: I mean, it really does depend on what you'd be getting back right, Definitely, I think I don't work on them a lot, but I think he's it's either best, he's probably I mean, can't cam Camminnity's maybe another one, but but he's up there right.
Speaker 1: And oh yeah, I think I think he's kind of established himself as the top hitter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, part of it depends. I think this is, you know, it's hard one because I don't know, are the Braves that get a team this year. I think that's like one of those weird debatable things. Clearly, they're winning the division, so they're a world contender. With how weird the league is right now, I think there's enough risk with Hartman that if you got like, I don't know if i'd want to trig him for like.
Speaker 1: A reliever, you know, but if you could get a top line starter.
Speaker 2: I might have to think about it, just because I think there's still some risk there, you know, with the hit tool. Like he's one of those guys where he looks like a natural and he may be a guy who, you know, because he was cold weather guy is blooming late and he may just end up being a star, but.
Speaker 3: He may not be.
Speaker 2: He may be more of a corner outfield kind of power type, you know. So I think if the right deal comes along for a really top guy, I mean, I think you'd have to think about trading him, But of course you don't. You'd want to avoid that, especially because their system after years of being quite fruitful had been a little bit a little sallow, So you know, that's half answering the question. But I think it would have to be someone really good.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: I kind of put you on spot there. So I did mention before though that you've been really busy with all the White Sox call ups. We know they're top prospects, but give us someone currently. You kind of teased it earlier currently at Winston Salem that that we might be in the conversation for when you do the White Sox list this winter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's funny because you never know, well you try to know with these things, but you never do. I'll give a guy, I'll mention him briefly, just by way of introduction of a different guy. You know, Kolbe Shelton, who was you know, a big college hitter at SEC who he got off to a really hot start, slow start last year in low way, great starting this year. I wrote him up in a ten pack I think the same one I did with Hartman, like back in April or whatever. And he's not been great at Birmingham. So sometimes he hit double A and he might end up being good, but sometimes it's a stumbling block there and what I'm seeing from this guy I'm about to talk about is similar, though he's got a couple of other things going for him.
Speaker 3: His name is Boston Smith.
Speaker 2: He was traded from the Nationals for Curtis Meade, who, of course, the White Sox traded for last year. Boston Smith is a college catcher.
Speaker 3: He went to.
Speaker 2: Wright State, so he went to a pretty small college. But he was a six round pick last year and didn't really play much. If I recalled correctly, he's the guy who's got some pop and I, you know, I've been fooled before on catchers like this. But whenever a catcher, he's a lefty hitter, whenever a catcher can really turn on a pitch, you know, and hit it over the wall and be kind of excited because at that point, you know you're a catcher.
Speaker 3: He's a catcher, so it catch. He's already getting closer to the big leagues at that point.
Speaker 2: I will admit it is not my number one area of confidence in my evaluative skills catcher defense. I tend to lean on some other measurements and things like that. He's been a decent catcher. I think I don't know that he's a great defensive catcher. I don't know that he's bad. I don't know that he's great. So a lot of that will come down to whether the White Sox feel comfortable, you know, if they think he's going to work with their pitchers well, and then that sort of thing. But you know, for now, he's a catcher. I think he's a really athletic dude. He runs the basis surprisingly well for a catcher, at least at this point. And you know, he said for a high average and got on base strikeout rates quite high. There is swinging myss there on insund pitches. I think, uh, you know, so there's some questions. But but but I think that's a trade that they can be happy with for now. And I think, you know, you can never as you see with the Kyle Teal being hurt this year, you can never have too much catching depth. And you know, and the other thing is they can flip him again. They're they're in there and we're winning now, you know, they could trade him and something. Teams want catchers. I think some teams developed catchers better than others. So I think, you know, maybe let's see if we will get used to saying it, but I think it's kind of a you know, look mean, its been pretty good for Washington.
Speaker 3: I think finally, yeah, he has good which has been good to see.
Speaker 2: But I still think this is a pretty good nifty move from from the White Sox.
Speaker 1: Right, and catchers can kind of be late bloomers at times, and if if Boston smith Is is a catcher that can provide a little offensive firepower, then that's a win for the White Sox totally. So moving on. So typically when Smith is here in his co he usually gives us a hot take or two. And Eli, I think you're carrying on his legacy with your selection for under the radar prospect? Eli, is there really an Los Angeles Angels prospect that we should be paying attention to?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 5: Well, yes, Uh, temper your expectations a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so so sore treg.
Speaker 5: Gregory Alford has been uh you know, pitching for the Angels colleague team all of this year. We watch him pitch, and you know, there are four distinct pitches here. Gregory Alford is He's built like a tight end. He's massive, you know, sits in the high nineties. Uh, you know, he can probably touch one hundred if he really reared back. There's almost no command here so to speak of. Uh, you know, he can he can get it in the general vicinity of the strike zone, but but you know, there's there's no touch and feel as far as fastball command goes.
Speaker 4: His His slider when he really snaps it off, looks really good.
Speaker 5: You know, it's a really really nasty, you know, two plane breaking ball. Sometimes he when he doesn't you know, really spin it, it looks like a mediocre cutter. So you know that's something that he's going to have to to get more consistent with as he as he you know, gains reps.
Speaker 4: Curveball and change up look.
Speaker 5: Okay, you know they also have sort of some encouraging uh you know, movement the fastball. You know, it's the shape, the traits are are fairly pedestrian, and you know, when you look under the hood, Gregory alferds rate stats are not excellent. You know, he's not he's not walking the ballpark the way that you would sort of expect for a guy without this kind of without this kind of command or control. But he's also not striking out a ton of people. He's not he's striking out less than a beat or in anything which you know, he's he's twenty years old in in low A he should probably especially with the stuff that he has, he should probably you know, be.
Speaker 4: Striking more more hitters out.
Speaker 5: But you know, this is a this is a sort of a rough around the edges profile. But you know, his his physicality, the the upside with all four of his pitches.
Speaker 4: You know, there is definitely something here.
Speaker 5: You never like to look at a player and say, well, he would be better if he was in another organization.
Speaker 1: That's kind of what I was thinking. I was like, boy, if he was with the team, the other Los Angeles team, this would be a profile could really get behind.
Speaker 5: Right or even like you know, a Milwaukee or something like that, maybe they could sort of optimize him. I mean again, we're talking about a twenty year old and it's a lot of body that he's working with. So you know, maybe maybe a year from now he gets he gets you know, one hundred innings under his belt and we can sort of regroup and see where he's at.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but sounds like the raw tools are there. So whether or not the Angels can work that out, we'll see. But I hope for him that he can. Yeah, yeah, all right, I'm really excited about the next guest. I feel like our draft coverage has drastically improved during the past several years, and we've added Liam Murphy this year. Liam, I know you've been hard at work on the draft board. Can you give us just a brief overview of how you, Michael, and Jerr are kind of putting together the draft board and give us a quick look at kind of the process behind that. Because there's so many names out there, how do you guys go about that process?
Speaker 4: I mean, this kind of happened even before I got hired by BP, that I would just call Michael Donadeo for basically three hours at a time and we would just be running down random preps across the country. Yeah, it's it's been entertaining, to say the least. There's really no good way to say that, but it's literally just like pulling up video of each guy going that works, that doesn't work, that works, that doesn't work, and then you know, over time you assemble like a huge gallery of looks. I think we had like probably three hundred prep hitters, and I had like two hundred and fifty prep pitchers in a in a spreadsheet, and it was just, Yeah, it gets confusing at times.
Speaker 1: I can only imagine it is a hard find in the video of some of those especially like we talked about the cold weather prep arms and prep bats. Is it kind of tough to find that video sometimes?
Speaker 4: Honestly, No, you would be surprised. There's a lot of just people on X the everything app that just send out video footage of these guys. Plus like you have events, especially Canada has a lot of events.
Speaker 1: Surprisingly, Yeah, Canada's kind of become in a hotbed a little bit for prep baseball.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it certainly seems like a lot of prep players have realized, like if I get my name in these events, I get the data measurables into the general database of prospects, and that helps filter some of these selections.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely. I want to get to get some insight about some of the names you've been digging into, and you kind of give me, give me some names to start with. But let's start with the player that was featured in the draft board one point zero, and that's Martin Schalier. What does he do well and what might be the team that fits best for him.
Speaker 4: So small pronunciation thing. Okay, it threw me for a loop too. It is she lar, she lar, all right, it proved me.
Speaker 3: For a loop.
Speaker 4: I'm not. Yeah, he is very good. He has the weirdest setup that you can have, like he basically I can't even really describe it. It's like a step and then a step forward and then he swings. It's very funky. But he has like very good measurables, very good exit velocity, runs fairly well. Seems like he could definitely play in right field based off of the arm. We don't think he's a center fielder because through looks and talking to people, it doesn't seem like he has the horizontal ability to move that would be needed in centerfield.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: So but even with all of this and the weird set up and swaying, he's still making a ton of contact on the prep circuit and it just it just clicks for us.
Speaker 1: Okay, And he's the Mississippi state commit correct, Yes, okay, So moving on the draft is going to be full of sec guys. Uh, guys like salt Shillar. Do I say that, right?
Speaker 4: I know it's really unnatural to actually.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but there's a lot of guys like that they're going to SEC schools that are at SEC schools or Big ten or whatever. But you mentioned to me Jackson. Jackson Arons a prep short stuff and he's committed to Northern Illinois. No shade to the Huskies, but it's not a baseball powerhouse. What makes Aarons interesting?
Speaker 4: So this is where it gets into how I look into prep prospects. He was at a random tournament I want to say, in Georgia, like in the spring, and he hit for the cycle I want to say, in like two or three games it was. He also, yeah, he ran very good exits down there with would bat and I just like he popped up onto my timeline. I was like, oh that looks good. And the more I looked into home, I'm like, oh, there's like there's like actually something here. So you know, I don't think he made. He might not be a top one hundred guy, but you know he he sands actually you know he might be a He was originally a junior college commit. He only recently committed to NIU, which has actually had a pretty good run in the baseball tournament this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they have, they have. It's a decent uh mid major.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So to go from being like committed to a high end JUCO to just immediately dropping your commitment in the spring and going to NIU certainly says something. Uh, you know, there's been a few scouts checking out his games because I have a man on the ground in Illinois to look at these things to ask and yeah, no, he certainly seems like a interesting pop up guy to keep an eye on. He probably goes to college. But I enjoy these guys.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it makes me wonder too if, like, you know, he's not committed to Vanderbilt, he's not committed to you know, whoever is the Northern Illinois. Does that make him a little bit more tempting for team to draft him that it wouldn't cost as much to get him out of that commitment. I'm not sure.
Speaker 4: If you're a fan of how the Brewers draft, he is eminently signable by the Brewers, just like love to throw darts across the Midwest. It's like, hey, you get six hundred thousand dollars, you get three hundred that Luke Adams is the perfect example of this, or like any of the fifteen pictures they've drafted over the last few years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Adam Zesky or what's the I can't remember his outfields?
Speaker 4: Oh, Josh Adamski. Yeah yeah, yes, that's about too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, there's like just a ton of random Midwestern men getting signed by the Brewers out of nowhere.
Speaker 1: And finally, let's talk a little Vinnie Lombardo, a cold weather prep which has kind of been the theme here. A cold weather prep outfielder. What about his profile makes my teams find intriguing?
Speaker 4: So I put Vinnie Lombardo on here as a bit of a meme. To be honest with you, I I looked at Vinnie Lombardo, I want to say in October, partially because I enjoyed saying the name Vinny Lombardo. But he is a random fairfield prep that I don't even think he's like the best ranked UH.
Speaker 1: Team.
Speaker 4: Yes he is in Connecticut, Okay, but yeah no, he has just a terrible setup, Like he has all of the tools possible. He I want to say, he's a receiver or a running back in football, like very fast, very strong hip mo area codes last year, which is data point, you know. But he's just very fun. He whiffs a lot and his swing just doesn't look like it's going to work. It's just a very it can be into insistent at times. It'll change, but like it'll go from like passable to like what are you doing? Where Like you've seen Luke Adams swing right where he just like looks like he got off of a farm and he's taking a big old step to swing and it's kind of similar vibes in the setup, like just a very big step. But the tools there are legit. So if you think the swing is fixable, which I feel like if you don't have a fixable swing, like if your swing isn't looking to get fixed by a pro team and you have all these tools, you're like a top three round draft pick. But there's so many guys that, like, you know, their swing looks incredibly funky or they whif too much or that drives the board. And Vinne Lombardo is a perfect example of this.
Speaker 1: But you kind of mentioned the Brewers. What team do you think would be the best to fix that swing?
Speaker 4: Oh? Oh, I mean it might, It's see might. Always go to answer is the Dodgers, just because like they're the top tier of everything, But yeah, the Brewers might be cool. Red Sox maybe maybe Yeah, Red Sox works, Yeah, Red Sox would work. He doesn't really need to add that speed though. It's more of a swing plane and issue and and yeah, it's just like if you really look at like anybody listening to this, go on next to the Everything app, just put in Vinny Lombardo and look at him swing. It is just not great, but.
Speaker 1: It might just work.
Speaker 4: It might just work. Again, I was a big Luke Adams fan and it's kind of worked.
Speaker 1: So yeah, awesome, Well, great stuff, gentlemen, thanks stepping up. Thanks for helping me out with this episode. Before we leave, I kind of want to go around the horn here, kind of tell people where they can find you on social media, where they can see your work at ben, where where can they find you at.
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: To be honest, I'm you know, I still maintain an account on the aforementioned X the Everything app. I'm not even sure if I remember what my my oh b oh, yeah, it's I think it's be Span Underscore two or something like that. But there aren't that many of me, so I don't really post a lot on there anyway, though It's a good place for gathering information at some variety of as Liam is discussing, and it was a couple of years ago when he was in low A a good place for me and Liam to discuss Luke Adams his development in the car in Carolina mudcasts.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I'm on Blue Sky a lot. My name is.
Speaker 2: Be span two dot bsky dot social. I post sometimes every now and then a little video, but but yeah, I'm on there.
Speaker 3: I don't know how are.
Speaker 2: How our listeners are divided between those two sides at this point, but I you know, if you if you contact me on either one, that's you'll I'll probably see your message.
Speaker 1: I guess Eli, what about you?
Speaker 4: You can find me?
Speaker 5: Uh, my my ex handle is Twitter handle is at Walsh Underscore ELI, and my my Blue Sky is is just my name. Yeah, most most of my handles are Walsh Underscore ELI. But there's not not a ton of Eli Walsh is out there, so it's not that hard to find me.
Speaker 1: Liam.
Speaker 4: I actually had to look this up. It's l P. M. Murphy on h X. The everything other than that nothing.
Speaker 1: Not really okay, And you can find me on Blue Sky in our gram. Make sure you check out our work at Baseball Perspectives and we'll be back in two weeks with another episode of The Heat Check. Until then, thanks for listening and we will see you later.