Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: So I just went and checked upstairs, and it's not pouring as far as the rain, but it's it's still raining.
Speaker 3: It's not it's not sprinkling.
Speaker 2: It's above sprinkling, but not like a consistent you know, like it's one of those kind of things where you've got your you got your wipers on. But it's probably either at the low at the slowest speed or the second to slowest speed. I think there's four different speeds in my car. This would be as speed number two. And I'm sure it's different where. I mean, you could be listening. I mean, I'm sure we got people listening all over the planet, because that's that's the reach of Coffee and Company at least let me believe that.
Speaker 3: But you could be.
Speaker 2: Hell, you could be few streets over and maybe it's rain and harder. I don't know, But man, mother Nature, she's a she's an evil woman. She's a cold, cold lady. Because we avoided rain like this for a long time, and sure enough on Halloween, as the day moved on and we got closer and closer to trick or treat time that's when that's when this happened, and it's it's a real shame. So I'm trying not to let it impact the Halloween vibes, but it's hard not to because you know, this isn't what you want. And I mean, I'm not trick or treating myself, but you know, I'm at the age where I remind myself and I don't really need to remind myself, but I you know, if I ever needed the reminder, I would be ready to you know, to take not take for granted to the fact that my kids still like doing this stuff.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: There'll be a time where they're not into it and they you know, they want to go do their own thing, or they're too cool, they don't want to do a costume. So you know, that's a good thing about the innocence of children. You know, they're they're not happy, I'm sure with the weather, but like they'll make the most of it because they're they're you know, the kids. I'm trying to think of, like how my kids are going to do now. That was Sorry for the pause there, the slight delay because you know, nobody wants to be out in the rain, but I kind of feel like as much as my kids, and I know a lot of kids are probably the same way.
Speaker 3: They love trick or treating.
Speaker 2: That Like, if it's just a light drizzle, if they got a hood on or something, they'll probably just roll with it.
Speaker 3: And that's the way you should do it.
Speaker 2: Now, what I also hope is that and again, if you're just putting out candy at your in your garage, and a lot of people sometimes in our neighborhood will set up like a I mean, in fact, that's what makes our neighborhood so awesome for trick or treating. A lot of people really just treat their driveway as like a tailgate at a college football game. I Mean, there are people in our neighborhood they don't have kids, but they'll they'll set out, they'll they'll have their you know, their beers, they're they're they're they're grilling, they're you know, they're they're giving out candy, but really just you know, taking in the vibes. So hopefully we can we can make the most of it. Tonight, all right, it's Coffee and Company.
Speaker 3: That's us.
Speaker 2: Our number three here on a Halloween edition of the show, Nick Coffee. That's me the company man, mister John Alden is alongside today as we take you up until six o'clock. And you know this, but I'll tell you again. We're fueled by Thornton's. So make sure you support those who support us. I mean you don't have to. I can't force you to, but I do ask you to do that, not just Thornton's, but all of our sponsors, all those that help us, you know, without them, I mean, you wouldn't have this.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't have this. I don't know what I would do. Somebody asked me that.
Speaker 2: The other day, John, if you didn't if you didn't work in radio, what would you do?
Speaker 3: And like it kind of hit me. Man, I don't really know.
Speaker 4: I've not been asked that directly, but I think about it probably more often than I should, just because I feel like, really every one of us in our industry are kind of worried about the day that maybe we have to figure something else out. But I don't know, I haven't thought about it either.
Speaker 2: You could say that about not only industries, but just you know, you never know. Sometimes your job can just you know. I mean, in fact, that's happened here with us that it doesn't have a whole lot to do with the overall world of you know, this industry that is radio. But you know, jobs can just disappear, and it's a sad thing. But I mean, you're but you're like you're brand new in you're maybe you're not brand new, but like you got out of school and this has really been your career, right, yes, and that's awesome. I you know, I've been able to make in my career for about ten years now, which I I you know, it's one of those things that I've always just felt like, hey, I don't know how long this is gonna last.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna make the most of it.
Speaker 2: But every now and then I think to myself, I've been doing this a lot longer than I than I often realize. So I used to work in software and I actually did like that, Like I enjoyed I really enjoyed. You know, maybe that's nerd stuff in me, but I enjoyed software testing software QA like that was kind of my my field. And uh, maybe I would go back to that, but I'm sure a lot of things have changed since the last time I did that, So I don't know, let's let's not think about it. So again, that's another reason to help me and support those who support us, like Thornton's Uh, like Proria Physical Therapy, like the Jefferson Animal Hospital, like Alex R. White Lawyers, like Pellow, Windows and Doors of Central Kentucky, like the Louisville Men's Clinic, Blue Chew oh Ellen and Federal Credit Union. You kidding me, I gotta forget them. They've been with us for a long time. So thank you to all of those people, and thank you to those if you do support them, and if you don't, please keep in mind so I don't have to, you know, be homeless. That's a stretch. I don't think that would happen. But you know, I really don't know. I'm kind of spazzing out here. I think both of us are like, what would we do? We probably just take this to the internet, right, and just.
Speaker 4: I mean already both kind of done something like that before, and I've been testing it out with my own Indiana stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you you have the best of both worlds because you are I mean, you work for a monster that is iHeartMedia, and we've got a phenomenal family of stations, and clearly our bread is still buttered with radio and everything that comes with it. But the visual side of things is clearly a big thing now and we've tried to do it until they told us, hey, you can't do that, which again makes sense. But you know, there are some that if this thing just ended one day, and I don't mean this show, but I mean, like, you know, if there ever was a big change to AM radio, which that could happen, there'd be a lot of folks that wouldn't you know, I guess know where to start as far as the new world when it comes to the digital side of this broadcasting, content creation, that kind of stuff. So but hey, we're gonna we're gonna ride this thing to the wheels fall off.
Speaker 3: Sehn.
Speaker 2: Don't you ever consider leaving me? Okay I've never said that, but don't you ever think about it?
Speaker 3: Please? Don't. It would be it wouldn't be as enjoyable.
Speaker 2: All right, Uh, real quick, before we get back into the obvious, we've got to talk a little more about this Louisville Clemson matchup on Saturday. Well, we'll share with you sort of the the takeaways from our conversation earlier with Alex Cupper. Obviously, uh, Kentucky. I mean, I think their fans have absolutely moved on from football, like they're gonna watch the Kentucky Tennessee game, but like they're they're done.
Speaker 3: I mean, and I get it.
Speaker 2: I totally get it. And we got some football tonight to get into, so we will do that. But this is something that I thought about it earlier today. Louisville and Kentucky themed Halloween costumes currently are over the years. So the reason I thought of this is because I have two friends who did a real easy but real effective Pat Kelsey Halloween costume.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: You wear you know, the khaki joggers, some Adida's shoes, a UFL basketball polo, and if you have a similar haircut and a somewhat similar build, you throw on those big glasses and it works. I mean, my buddy Benji, he pulled it off. He doesn't look as much like him, but with everything else, you know, he made it work. And then another buddy of mine, Rick Gibson, he actually looks like Pat Kelsey in general, but he put on like the you know, he put on the outfit essentially, which is you know, everybody's wearing the same thing, and like, I mean, I didn't think.
Speaker 3: It was pat but like it looks a lot like him, so it's.
Speaker 2: Kind of easy to do. I remember years ago it was adorable too. It wasn't as if everybody was doing it, but I remember a few different kids dressed up in Teddy Bear costumes with a Teddy Bridgewater jersey over top of it. It was so adorable, and Teddy was a you know, he's a made man at that time, and because his name is Teddy, it gave you a chance to, you know, get creative with it. You couldn't just mean you could throw a jersey on and say you're Teddy, but you know where in the Teddy Bear actually makes it. It makes it make a little more sense. This is a Kentucky fan outfit that was very, very common for a while, Katina Pal. I don't think Louisville fans were dressing ups, Katina Pale. But you dress up like a like a you know, a nasty prostitute, and you know, make yourself appear like that, then you can you can. And I think usually the ones I saw whenever it was more of a popular thing, whenever you wouldn't you know, you go to a Halloween party around here with adults, there'd be somebody dressed up as Katina pal and like a woman would do the Katina pal thing and then her husband boyfriend.
Speaker 3: He would make it.
Speaker 2: More clear as to who his wife or girlfriend was by either dressing as Rick Patino or dressing as an FBI uh agent. It was like the It was like the oh, you're making fun of U of L for two different scandals, right, prostitutes in the dorm and the FBI came in and wanted to snatch up Rick Pattino. And we didn't give him a whole lot of ammunition, did we?
Speaker 3: Right? We didn't.
Speaker 2: I mean, we haven't made it easy for our rival to make fun of us, have we. We didn't have a coach having sex on a table at an Italian restaurant, did we?
Speaker 3: Was that? Did I dream that?
Speaker 2: By the way, speaking of Rick Patino Kentucky oh and three since his ash showed up in Lexington, you think there was a chance maybe it was all strategic on Rick's part. He does love us, I mean I don't believe that for a second, but will be wild if he wanted to just like now that that now that they're you know, like if if Duke mops Kentucky and the Champions Classic. Rick now knows that both Josh Hurd and Pat Kelsey have said on record that he's welcome back anytime his players have called him out for lying about saying he's never been welcomed back, Like what if Rick did just say, yeah, you know what, Saint John's Uh, I'm kind of bored up here in New York. You know, Saint John's basketball probably ninth or tenth in line when it comes to what matters with New York sports. Probably not even that, to be honest with you, probably worse than that. Yeah, let me you know, because if Rick's got a chance to make something about himself, he'll do it, and he's good at it. Clearly tongue in cheek here because I believe his UK stuff was real, But you know, there's gonna be some point where he does want to come back here. And it worked because he did it, and it led to you know, people realizing he's still bitter about ul for reasons that are silly, and it got a lot of attention for him to go back to Kentucky. It took attention away from Mark Pope, which people can say that wasn't his motive. Maybe it wasn't, but look, that's what Rick does. If he's got a chance to make it all about him, he's gonna do it. But now it's on record that he's invited back and maybe will come back at some.
Speaker 4: Point, how long until he's at Reperena once again watching Mark Pope coach a game.
Speaker 2: You think that happens this season, it'd be a really bad look if if it happened this season. I don't care if you have an off day, if you're just going to a game.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's just weird. That's weird, weird.
Speaker 2: I mean season, you're right, always weird. But two things, it's Rick. Rick can get away with doing things that every other coach, if they did it, we'd say what the hell's going on?
Speaker 3: But it's Rick.
Speaker 2: But also there is a clear level of like, you know, the story does does you know, make it to where it's not as weird, meaning that his former player of this is coaching the program now and he couldn't come back whenever col is there, like you know, and he wouldn't And that wasn't that was never gonna happen. So but yes, it's it's it's always been weird and Rick does Rick does weird stuff.
Speaker 3: I'm curious that maybe if he.
Speaker 2: Lasts in college basketball for another five six years and you know, he isn't terrible, but also is not a real contender in the grand scheme of things when it comes to like win in national championships, if he still does this kind of stuff, I'm curious if like that becomes really part of the brand and legacy. I mean, he'll always be viewed as one of the best coaches ever in college and as much as Lowell fans maybe bitter towards him or maybe you're not, I don't know, And even I mean, I don't know anybody that would claim Rick is not a great coach, you know, so that'll always be part of his legacy and how people remember him. But you know the fact that he's even on Twitter and he makes jokes and he's like, you know, seeming to be at least one percent relatable, Like that alone.
Speaker 3: Is crazy to think about.
Speaker 2: Like, I heard a podcast that Chris Brickley was on. It's one of the NBA podcasts where and for those wh don't remember Chris Brickley played at u of L for I think just one season, transferred from might have been Vermont or something like that, and he wanted to get into basketball coaching and training, and now he's the lead trainer in the NBA. I mean, he trained some of the best players in the world and he's made a name for himself. But he came to Louisville because he, you know, thought he could potentially play a little bit, but also he wanted to learn from Rick. And he was sharing a story about just how hard it was practicing with him, and it was basically he was going up against you know, Jerry Smith, Edgar Sosa, I don't remember who else was on the team, but like really good guards that pressed you for a whole game. So here he is a walk on at u of L because he transferred up from a D two level and he's turned the ball over like crazy in practice, and every time he turns it over, he's got to go run the treadmill. And then he got to the point where if he did it again, Rick was gonna make him run outside and hold something over his head. And this question came up because he was asked about his experience at Louisville and how much he learned from Rick Patino, and he just came out and said, Man, I'll be honest with you, I hated my time at Louisville. I was miserable and it was because of how challenged he was, how pushed he was. And you know, he later said that it took him a few years to realize like he got so much from that experience. He was pushed to a level he wouldn't push himself too, and it made him a lot better. And Montrez actually shared it. That's where I saw the video and he said, Man, if this doesn't hit home, And I think that's what made Rick such a great coach is that he would. I mean, Donovan talks about it all the time, like he learned about himself as a player and as a competitor because of how hard.
Speaker 3: Rick pushed him.
Speaker 2: So I bring all that up to say that Rick, I don't know if he's coaching at Saint John's right now. I think there's more of a lighthearted Rick that is not as intense, and I think it's because he's getting older. He was away from the game for a while and honestly, you can't do it that way and not expect guys to leave every every now and then. And to be fair, Rick has been an NBA coach before. Wasn't as successful at Boston as he was in New York. But maybe, you know, maybe his experience in managing guys making more money than him at that time, like maybe it does give him the ability to potentially navigate this better than others. But the way he coached at Louisville and really the way he coached at Kentucky, I mean, that's nothing like the NBA. I mean, Rick was a very demanding coach that was a hard ass and that's not really how it's done now in the professional ranks. But again, college sports seemingly has turned in the turned into the professional ranks. Oh so, somebody here on the text line is sending a picture. I don't know if it's your kid or not, but yes, it's the Teddy Bear with the Teddy Bridgewater jersey on it. That that might be the best Louisville Halloween themed costume I can I can think of somebody else sent in a picture of Uh, I assume your daughter.
Speaker 3: Dressed up as you have all cheerleader. That's a good one.
Speaker 2: You really can't get that creative like the Teddy one, you know, in the Pat Kelsey one. Really it's just because of circumstance. Pat Kelsey's a pretty you know. All it comes down to is are you relatively similar as far as your frame and do you have shorter short enough hair? Throwing those glasses, throwing a polo and like people will probably know who you're trying to be any Indiana Halloween theme, like if you're signetti, I mean you just look like a hard ass.
Speaker 3: And just maybe walking games cigarettes. Yeah, well, but does he smoke? He doesn't. Actually, he actually addressed the whole smoking meme.
Speaker 4: Yeah, during one of his press conferences recently.
Speaker 2: Because like it makes sense and it's awesome, like the the Marlborough looking logo that has signetti instead of Marlborough, Like that's freaking awesome. But that's I mean, leaning into it is phenomenal for branding and whatnot. But you know, again, the cigarette thing, like it might you know, if you're walking around with an Indiana polo on and you put on the khakis, you tuck him in, you look like you look the part as a guy on the sideline of a football game. You do, and you put a cigarette in your ear and a whistle around your neck, then maybe like that would be more of a tell as to what you're trying to be, because you know, Signette's not as easy of a guy, and he's a pretty normal looking guy. But Pat Kelsey really the glasses that's what makes you know, that's what makes it really recognizable, because it's not something that you necessarily see from from you know, a lot of coaches out there. And to be fair, when we this wasn't when we were on the air at the ACC tip off, but like people, you know, he was asking to people think that his like his glasses, like are they for looks? And I was like, I'm not, really, those are legitimate prescription glasses that like he doesn't see well without. Now, obviously he could get a different style, a different look, but it's not just an accessory. He got them from Lenz Crafters, and uh, he needs them or he probably won't be able to. I don't know how bad his vision is, but it never it never dawned on me that he he might think that people would assume that it's just like a look, which hey, I mean, I know, I mean that's not I mean, it's not an unheard of thing for people to throw on something like that four looks more than needing it for vision. But usually, you know, college coaches and people in the public eye, wouldn't you know, coaches in general wouldn't typically wouldn't typically do that.
Speaker 4: I mean, I've made the PJ. Fleck comparison a couple of times between Pat Kelsey and him, and they it's not that they both look the exact same, but he he makes some interesting fashion choices. I think his is more so for personal preference.
Speaker 2: Though, Yeah, and he's he's more I think his style on the sideline is more of like a I don't know, it's very weird.
Speaker 4: He's one of the he maybe the only current head coach that where like a tie on the sideline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, is he honor? Did I see that he was like honoring somebody? Like didn't a former Minnesota coach dress like that or something?
Speaker 4: If that's the case, I'm unaware, it would make.
Speaker 2: A little more sense. But I thought the tie was in somewhat like an ode to.
Speaker 4: I feel like he did it in Minnesota, but he did it Western Michigan too, But what would I know?
Speaker 2: I kind of feel like he did as well. But you're right, I'm not. I don't know. Maybe, but maybe he had, like I don't know, maybe his roots are Western Michigan.
Speaker 3: I doubt that.
Speaker 2: But when you said that, I was like, John, you're so wrong. I don't know what you're talking about. And because I the PJ. Fleck that that I, you know, envisioned doesn't look anything like Pat kelcey. But now since he's shaved his head, like I can totally see it, they do look they actually at times, like depending on the picture of he just google PJ. Fleck and click images, they do actually look alike. And there's a picture of him from what looks to be Gosh, this is I'll send you the link, John, And you know, if you want a google that you can and I'm sure none of you care. This is great live radio. But if you just google Tennessee Balls, it's PJ. Fleck too, similar to Butch Jones. That's from twenty seventeen when he was a big name at Michigan, at Western Michigan. This picture that's in.
Speaker 3: This article looks just like Pat Kelsey like.
Speaker 2: And I remember thinking like, oh, John, that's terrible, and you were right, Like, I felt really stupid for and I'm stupid. I am stupid for questioning you because I do see the I do see the visual comparison there, and yes they don't have the same style, but maybe.
Speaker 4: The tie for for Fleck is is like he did do the tie thing in Western So it's part of his brain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's part of his brand. And I guess the glasses are of Kelsey Broke before we go to break. Look, look at your DMS. Doesn't that look like an older Pat Kelcey?
Speaker 3: It does?
Speaker 2: I mean it looks exactly like him. It's crazy, all right, You're crazy if you don't hang out with us until six o'clock. I mean, it's raining outside. Let's hold off and see if it stops rain and enjoy the rest of the show. Before we start trick or treating folks, it's Coffee and Company. We are fueled by Thorntons right here. On Sports Talk seven ninety so, we were talking about Halloween costumes that feature some type of U of l UK component And this is a really good one, and if you're listening, still send me a picture. I'd love to see it. But this guy says that his son has an older Montrez Harrold Louisville jersey number twenty four, and he's wearing that, and he's wearing a Chucky Doll mask. Chucky hepburn this year is number twenty four. Like Mantres, Harrol was very creative. Now, I don't know how many people are gonna get it, because one, you know Chucky's I mean, I don't know if he's a I wouldn't recognize him if I saw him out somewhere and he wasn't wearing U of L gear because I'm following it, probably closer than most. And I mean I had a face to face with him in Charlotte. But I bet that's one.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 2: I think that's really creative. But I bet a lot of people wouldn't know what you were trying to because.
Speaker 3: They wouldn't rest.
Speaker 2: Even if they know who Chucky is, they may don't know his number. He's never play here yet. It's a brand new team. But that's that's the kind of creativity I'm talking about. Well done. And if you get a picture I send it to me, I'll share it unless you know it's kind of weird. I just asked somebody to send me a picture of their kid, and I don't know, like I'm not I promise, I'm not a I'm.
Speaker 3: Not a hurt two. Yeah, but then like, hey, let me let me you know, you know some people are weird about that.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: About pictures and what's on the internet and all that stuff, which, hey, you got to be careful with your kids. But yeah, I'm just gonna if you want to send me a picture, cool, But like I'm going to retract what I said. I'm not asking listeners to send me pictures of their children. That's very weird. And you know, I'll just move on, all right. It's Coffee and Company Field. Beth Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. We got about thirty minutes left here on a Halloween edition of the show, and we talked about the Clemson Louisville.
Speaker 3: Matchup a little earlier in the show with Alex.
Speaker 2: Kupper, and you know, he did agree and doesn't mean that you know, I'm right or wrong. It's wishful thinking. I said that when it came to me on Friday night during the postgame show, the way they came back against Boston College and finished that game.
Speaker 3: You know, they.
Speaker 2: Produced something that could be what gets them together to where they put a full game together, clean up some things, and that doesn't mean they play perfect. But you know, and I don't need to reiterate it anymore, I've been a broken drive. I've sounded like a broken record when it comes to just it not being an impressive result overall. But that was something that was much more difficult to do than I think anybody would realize because of the circumstances and just because of the overall season, and they fought back. They I mean, look Louisville against Clemson. I don't like them in a shootout. I don't like Louisville really in a shootout with many teams, because you know, we did get in a shootout with maybe one of the best teams that you know you could face in that type of a matchup, and that's Miami, and you were right there, potentially, you know, with a chance to win. But you know the pressure is going to be on you so much to score in a shootout. Yeah, you got a match, but you know that in a shootout type of game. Becau's a really good offense. There's just not been a whole lot to be confident about when it comes to the defense, you know, doing enough to where you can be the one with the ball with a chance to score late and win, or you having a lead late them getting a stop. Like it's just you know, they just haven't shown the ability to do that really at any point in games that are close. So Cupp said this, the defense would be the most talked about thing. If we're doing a postgame show Saturday night and it's Louisville beating Clemson for the first time, Now, clearly your offense is going to have to do the job.
Speaker 3: And they've done the job.
Speaker 2: Now they are placing they are facing a good defense in Clemson. But I go back to Boston College, and again disclaimer, I know that Boston College and Clemson are not the same opponents much different level, but each team has three components right, offense, defense, special teams. Of the six components, the six units essentially in that game on Friday, in the second half, the Louisville defense was the most impactful, the most most dominant of the six. I mean, the louis of A defense changed that game around. And I've always believed that they've had talent defensively, and yeah, they've had some injuries, but like this defense, let's go back again and they are who they are. We can't keep talking about what we thought they were going to be and all the accolades in the preseason and all the hype that was there, because at this point you've played eight games and your defense has not been what it should have been. We were wrong, right, We had this defense a lot better than it truly has been. But I don't think we were wrong in regards to like, wow, we thought this guy could play.
Speaker 3: He's a bum like.
Speaker 2: It's not that at all. It's just been really schematic, and as we've discussed, it's been a little too complex. They've now simplified some things. They're not substituting as much like Ashton Julotti can still take over a game on defense at any moment. Quincy Riley is still an NFL player. I mean, stan Kalon Clark has been at times really good. He's a talented guy from Miami at linebacker, jamari A. McDonald the transfer from Tennessee. He's made some big, big plays this year. You still got Destel up front, Ramon per year. I mean, was it jar Dawson who got the sack against Boston College. Again, we weren't wrong to look at the personnel on this team coming back and what was proven last year and the guys they brought, and we weren't wrong to expect the defense to be really good. They just haven't been good. So we were wrong, I guess, you know, by definition. But we had justification and thinking the defense would be the strength of this team this year, and they haven't been that, So it wouldn't be crazy to see them maybe kind of clean it up. Things are simplified, and maybe we see Louisville's best defense of the season in these last four games. Again, wishful thinking, but we shall see. On the Kentucky side, we did discuss the their matchup with Tennessee, but not really in like here's where Tennessee could really hurt you, because Tennessee's just a much better team right now, playing much better football. But Josh Hipel a guy known for being somebody that can light up a scoreboard with the high powered offense, they clearly have some good playmakers offensively, and they're not a bad offensive team, but really it's their defense that has, I mean that has been their best unit this year. I mean again, it sounds crazy because again I still think of Josh Hipelaguy that is respected as much as anybody offensively in college football lately. But again, if you look at Tennessee's total defense right now, it's number three in the country with two hundred and fifty nine yards. That's pretty good recipe, right especially when you know you on offense aren't as good as you usually are, but you still at any moment anybody way they're doing enough offensively. So again, this Kentucky Tennessee matchup, it's not about any type of like schematic thing for Kentucky because I mean, I totally get it. Their fans understandably so have zero belief that they'll win against Tennessee. In fact, I don't know if there's any belief that they're going to keep it competitive. And if they get blown out, you know, I'll be real bummed and I won't be like surprised. But I feel like Mark Stoops has done this many times during his tenure at Kentucky. When they have no momentum and they're playing a really good team, his guys usually show up and play well and at least compete. Now, they rarely win, but they'll compete, But I guess the more I consider their season as far as what it's been so far, it really wouldn't be a shocker at all if they don't do that this time around, because this is different even before they kick it off against Tennessee. This season is an outlier for Mark Stoops, and I don't say that to defend him at all. In fact, it's alarming. They're struggling. They're one in five in SEC play, likely going to finish one in one in seven in the SEC. I mean they could realistically finish four and eight. I'm not ready to talk about the Louis game yet, but they could realistically finish four and eight.
Speaker 3: But it's not a well what are you going to do? We're Kentucky. They have talent, they have good players like he he you know.
Speaker 2: I hate to say like his success is working against him now because it is true, but like he hasn't really been that successful. He's been successful for a Kentucky coach. People get that mixed up a lot, but this is the first year for him where there really is no reason for them to be this bad. And I know they don't have the talent that a Georgia has and Tennessee, Texas. Those are teams that are better than them when it comes to talent. But all the swing games this year they got killed Auburn two touchdown, I mean beat him by two touchdowns, which maybe you don't view that as getting killed, but Auburn was down ten to nothing at the beginning of the game. Florida beat him by four touchdowns. South Carolina murdered them. Vandy beat them and didn't kill him, but you know it's Vandy. So like this is an outlier season to where he has probably more explaining to do. Never not to say, well, he better explain it or he's gonna get fired, because he's not getting fired.
Speaker 3: It would have to be him walking away.
Speaker 2: But in other years, And I really haven't been that critical Stoops because you know, it's just not really my place right as a Louisville fan. But I've never I've never acted like Kentucky hasn't had good reason to feel. I mean, look, they've dominated the rivalry and they I don't think they were ever as good in the SEC and ever as good in the grand scheme of college football as they thought they were under Mark Stoops during his good seasons. But still like it. They're clearly not bad, and they've clearly been relatively good, and they had two ten win seasons, so like, you know, my only gripe has been well, yeah, but like let's not exaggerate what you're doing. It's good for you and it's clearly good.
Speaker 3: Not bad.
Speaker 2: But like you know, when you would hear them talk about potentially when in the easter right behind Georgia like that, that was always foolish because it would be a sign that they feel like they've they've taken more steps than than they actually have. But this year they're just like they're a mess. And yes, I know we've already got people in the text line like they could be a mess and still beat Louisville. I know that, and it scares me. I'm not scared of Kentucky this year because again, like I've watched him play to where I'm not worried, is Louisville good enough to beat them? But what that game has now become like it it it, It worries me, and I'll need to see it before I believe that Mark Stroop's team won't come ready to play against Louisville because they always have and since he's been there.
Speaker 3: Now, what I'm hoping is happened.
Speaker 2: What I hope happens is that they're so beaten at that point and so defeated that they'll come out ready to play. But it'll take maybe one big swing play from a momentum perspective, and then they're dead. Like that's wishful thinking on my end, but we shall see. We'll be there at some point. All right, let's go to the text line before we get our last break. FIBO two six five three zero seven ninety is the L and N Federal Credit Union text line. This text says Nick, when you mentioned the defense struggling like it has in the offense doing its part, it reminds me that this is actually the Jeff brom I thought we were getting. Many of his, even good Purdue teams were just like this. You could never rely on the defense. You are correct, You are correct. I don't know exactly how similar they are as far as like the numbers in regards to the defense, but yes, Jeff, and that's what was so great about last year.
Speaker 3: It was weird, but it was also nice.
Speaker 2: To know that Jeff Brohm could put a team on the field that could win ten games in the regular season, and you would know that the defense is clearly the superior unit compared to the offense. You know, for the you know, for the for the vast majority of the season, really almost the entire season, and that running the ball is your most effective way of moving it rather than throwing it. I mean, not only did Jeff winning ten games and making it to the a SEC Championship surprise a lot of people in year one, it was how it looked. It just wasn't the the you know, the formula wasn't what I would have thought it would have been. If you'd told me when he got hired, they're going to go ten and two in the regular season and play in the a SEC Championship game. I would have expected them to have a decent defense and just score fifty to sixty a game. And it wasn't that at all. What I hope is that this isn't just the because look, Jeff's teams defensively at Western and at Purdue were never very good. But when Ron English followed him to Louisville, it made sense because Jeff had found somebody that produced the best defense he'd had really ever as a head coach, and I think it makes sense to bring that with you because at Western and at Purdue you'd yet to find somebody they could consistently put a defense on the field that was pretty good, and they were that at Purdue for I think two years, so again it made sense for him to bring him over. And last year they were good defensively until they weren't, and then when they weren't, Ron English is the one who told us to blame him and nobody else. And this year, I still think as much as the players have to be accountable, and there's really nobody but you to blame when you can't tackle somebody and you're just arm tackling, looking like you're playing football for the first time and these guys are running over you like that's truly just you know, again, I think it starts with culture. It starts with you know, being motivated. But there's nobody to blame but yourself when you get trucked like that and it's just because you're coming soft arm tackling.
Speaker 3: But other than that, I think.
Speaker 2: The defense has just been a mess this year because of leadership coaching. I mean, that's that's that's the way I see it. I could be wrong, but how the season finishes I think will be a big factor. And if fron English is back next year, maybe for both sides. To be honest with you, all right, let's take our last time out. We'll come back on the other side and wrap it up. Happy Halloween, everybody, It's coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Folks, if you are looking for somewhere to take your pets to get checked out as far as their health, maybe shots. Are they called vaccinations? I mean, okay, I thoughts so I just you know, that's still a trigger word for some people for obvious reasons. I mean, I think it's silly, but anyways, I get why it's still something when you say vaccinations. People don't think about pets or anything anymore. But look, take care of your pets, and the place that you need to be doing that is with the folks at Jefferson Animal Hospital. They've been doing this for forty four years, taking care of your pets, keeping them healthy. I'm sure there are countless, and I mean countless instances where a checkup at Jeffersonnimal Hospital helped somebody avoid their pet. You know, having an illness or some kind of a condition that could have been problematic, could have been potentially deadly. So you've got to keep your pets in mind. They may be going through something health wise that obviously they can't communicate to you like humans can. So Jefferson Animal Hospital, check them out online Jefferson Vets dot com.
Speaker 3: Give them a call. Five h two, nine hundred pets. All right.
Speaker 2: So well, I mean we got some yeah. Nfla game tonight. It's not a great one, but not a terrible one. The Jets and the Texans, John, you may have been onto something. I think the under is the wise play. They're also like the Texans as dogs just because I think they're better, and I think there's still love for Aaron Rodgers that is.
Speaker 3: Being you know, being seen in these lines. I mean, the Jets aren't good.
Speaker 2: Rogers has even at times had fine nights, but like that, this is who he is now. He's the Jets quarterback and he's not in Green Bay anymore, and he's you know, he's not exactly young. On the college side, I love Tulane minus fourteen and a half. And then we'll get to this tomorrow, John. Some good college football games. I just got around to look in at the at the slate a little earlier today, and I'm telling you, Indiana minus seven and a half. I mean, how are they only favored by seven and a half.
Speaker 4: I mean how I think some of that free money tend to affect whether or not Curtis Roorkins up playing I do. I mean, all signs right now are pointing to him being back. But at the same time people are also and at least from my perspective, I'm worried about it because it is Indiana's, in my opinion, first true road test against a good environment crowd.
Speaker 3: You're worried more about like a trap situation. You're not worried that Indiana isn't good enough, right, No, not at all. Indiana should play to.
Speaker 4: If they played to you know their ability, they should win again, probably by double digits.
Speaker 3: The way they look.
Speaker 2: These these games can happen, you know, these trap game type situations. And what I think is wild is that you know there's really no consistency. Sometimes you circle something and it's been made aware that it's it's such a trendy upset pick that like nobody's going to be on upset alert because they know, like, hey, people doubt us now even though we're the better team. And then sometimes you know, and with that said, when that happens, sometimes teams come out and they'll they'll win about three scores and everybody thought they might lose. But then there's also some games, I mean the Pittsburgh game last year for Louisville, and I know what happens every week probably in college football somewhere where everybody was right, they were onto something. You know that, hey, you came out tight because you knew everybody thought you were going to have a let down. But from what Kurt Signetti has shown at this point, I can't imagine his guys won't be ready to play. And look, I mean, Michigan State's wins are close ones against Maryland, who sucks, Prairie View, A and m They lost to Boston College, got killed by Ohio State, got killed by Oregon, did beat Iowa.
Speaker 3: Which is an upset.
Speaker 4: That's a good win for them.
Speaker 2: But they lost to a mid Michigan team. Signette's gonna bend him over, John, That's what he's gonna do. All right, We'll be back tomorrow. Everybody enjoy Halloween, enjoy the trigger treating, and let's keep the rain away Mother Nature. If you could please accommodate us for at least a couple of hours, we'd appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Have a good night, everybody,