Speaker 1: For thirty five years, Cindy Stumpo has been a female home builder with a passion for design, a mastery of detail, and a commitment to her crack.
Speaker 2: With daughter Samantha Stumpo by her side.
Speaker 3: I don't need life, the whole family and I date with me. That's a good note. It's goddemn weird.
Speaker 1: See. Stumpo Development is the only second generation female construction company in the country.
Speaker 4: You're crazy, You're a wacko, You're insane.
Speaker 2: I mean, it just doesn't end together.
Speaker 1: Cindy and Samantha welcome guests to explore the world of construction, real estate, development, design and more. Unpredictable.
Speaker 2: Every time I think I know what you want, you switch it out. But that's what makes sharehouses all used.
Speaker 1: They discuss anything that happens between the roof and the foundations.
Speaker 2: Nothing is off limits. You truly do care about everybody.
Speaker 1: Chi can yell a chinkeets screen, but when you get her alone, she's the best person on the planet. Cindy Stumpo is tough as nails.
Speaker 3: And welcome to Cindy Stumpoch have his nails on WBC News Radio ten thirty and I'm here with who Lena Grille Okay, she doesn't talk very low.
Speaker 4: Ernie Bach and Casey Sword.
Speaker 3: Okay, alrenye bio right now, give it to us.
Speaker 4: Well, let's see, I'm a Boston guy. I grew up around the area. I'm in my late sixties. I was heavily into the automotive industry. Third generation in the automotive industry.
Speaker 3: And by the way, because Ray will be listening to this third generation rape off for some reason, second generation, I said, no, no.
Speaker 4: No, yeah, third generation. And my son who is in his final year of college, which he's going to an automotive centric to learn.
Speaker 3: Yeah, generation, did you go to that class? Did you?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: I did not, But yeah, So I'm a I'm a local guy, you know, hanging around Boston.
Speaker 3: Okay, and then you one day decided you woke up and said what.
Speaker 4: Well, I used to own big retail automotive stores. I had the number one Honda store in the planet, the number two Toyota store in the planet, and you know, I was slugging it out there in retail for a long time. And I woke up one day and I just didn't want to do it. I wholesale SuPAR roos throughout the six states of New England.
Speaker 3: So explain them. You are the rep the super roofs.
Speaker 4: Of New England. I bring these super us over in super tankers to my port, and then I distributed them to the dealers throughout New England, the sixty five dealers throughout New England. But that's B to B. That's a B to B business.
Speaker 3: And then my own that business was your grandfather, my father's stoff father.
Speaker 4: Was in nineteen seventy one, my father started that business. And then in twenty fifteen I decided to sell all the retail stores except for Ferrari and Maserati.
Speaker 3: Now when you sold the did you sell a blue sky or you sold the real estate? Did you keep me? I did not.
Speaker 4: I always no, I did not sell the real stack. I always keep the real style. I sold the companies.
Speaker 3: Companies, yes, which is technically the sales the parts, which is which is all that.
Speaker 4: I retained the real estate. Very rarely do I sell real estate.
Speaker 3: How many thousands of square feet did you own a car dealerships just on the automologe You ever run those numbers?
Speaker 4: No? I didn't run those umbers. But if I had to run those numbers, I don't know. I'm six hundred thousand.
Speaker 3: Six hundred thousand squaffe.
Speaker 4: That's not that's funny you asked me. I've never been asked.
Speaker 3: That Questionings a square FOOTA right, you're.
Speaker 4: A builder, that's wine. Usually it's like how many vehicles? Do you say? What's the square feet? That's buildings. That's not with the land.
Speaker 3: The land is much more buildings, right, the building, Yeah, one hundred thousand square feet bout that. Yeah, so I could say I could take it, break it down. What you reant blah blah blah, what you get in the land and the parking lots.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But in the automotive industry, In the automotive industry, you rent is notoriously high. Correct, notoriously high because back in the day, the new companies today, the public companies and a lot of private automotive guys don't want to own the land. They just want to own because they just do it. They sell the land to reds and stuff like that. They don't want to own. I don't know, I don't know why. So back in the day it was the owner charging himself rent, which you know, they always were above market.
Speaker 3: But that's just robbed paper. You picked up.
Speaker 4: No, it really isn't because it forces the company. It forces the company to actually produce. You know. It's if you have a retail store and you're in a big, fancy schmancy place, the rents through the roof, which means you have to you have to make more gross profit.
Speaker 3: Okay, did you keep Lamborghini a Maasa rival once it make the least amount of mine? Right?
Speaker 4: No, really, I do have. I still own that land. Yeah, but they But the Ferrari Maserati, it's not like the automotive industry. It's more like rolling art. You know, they're not There's not many of them produced in the in the whole entire world, there's about ten thousand Ferraris a year produced. So it's it's different. It's not like when I was a Toyota deal. It was like McDonald's. I was selling thousands, thousands, tens of thousands of cars. I cracked over a thousand a month for a good run.
Speaker 3: And how many shields did you own?
Speaker 4: At one point seven or eight seven?
Speaker 3: Eight ships? And they started most of shingles started by your father.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, no, no, she.
Speaker 3: Was did your grandfather's dot Excuse me, how many shingles.
Speaker 4: Did your grandfather'stad one one he started with with Nash. Nash was the Nash and then Nash turned into Rambler, and then Rambler turned into American Motors. Then American Motors turned turned into Chrysler, and now you have Jeep Chrysler ram And of course the Italians owned everything. So the same people that owned Dodge own those same people that owned yeah, Dodge and all the all those other Stilantis companieses the Italians.
Speaker 3: Okay, and then your father came along, he came up, he started buying more franchise.
Speaker 4: No, what happened was is the we were back in the day the company started nineteen thirty eight, and back in the day when when when my grandfather got sick and my father came out of the army in the in the early fifties. He worked with my father with my grandfather, uh kind of father son and his brother and Boston. Back in the day, Norwood to Boston it was like a day trip. It wasn't. It wasn't like it is today. So the advertising the Boston Globe, the Record American which was the Herald, and all the advertisers would never come out to the suburbs. You had to bring your abbot, the printer, you had to bring it in so.
Speaker 3: And nobody did that better than your family.
Speaker 4: Well, it's always down. It's the the papers were treating the clients very arrogantly. They were very arrogant, and and my father soon caught onto that and basically said to himself, you know, f these guys, I'm going to be big enough where they're going to come out to me and they're going to come out and take my ads. I'm not gonna have to go all the way into Boston. They're going to come out and take the ads. And that was that was the beginning of the building. And then then by the late fifties we were the number one Nash dealership in the country.
Speaker 3: That's how it happened.
Speaker 4: That's how it happened.
Speaker 3: And then you the third generation, said I'm going to live my life and I'm going to be a rock.
Speaker 4: I came, I came in, and I came in. Actually, you know, this month is a really interesting month for me because it's the eighty sixth year of our company. It's the fortieth year of myself being in the automotive industry. When I mean in the automotive, automotive industry. I mean putting a tie on. I mean when I was a kid, I used to sweet floors and do all that other stuff. In eighty four, I put a tie on. And it's been twenty one years since my father's died, since I've been running years, twenty one years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you need to tell the listeners that listening, what do you have on your in your on your land would you build? And what would you build on your land that most people will never have?
Speaker 4: Well, I tell you, I tell you that's a that's a little that's a little bit of it. I tell this story a lot, and it's very embarrassing for me. It's very embarrassing for me, Cindy, because you're involved every time and every time I every time I see you, I harken back to this story and it just pisses me off, and you'll probably remember it. I like to build comfortable surroundings from that kind of building is not it's a passion. It's not a business.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I do have real estate. I've done hundreds of millions of dollars worth of building, but most of them have been commercial building. And I had just finished one of my latest projects, which was my carriage House two. Correct, I have two carriage house couch and one characters too. And I was very, very very proud of carriage House two, of what I did and how I did it and everything like that. And you had been over my house for an event and I said, Cindy, let me come back, come up in and let's go. Let's go take a look at carriage house too. And we go and I go and put my hand on the door and the door handle comes off in my hand right in front of you. I almost asked my pants. I mean, I was like, oh, of anybody that this happens to, I had to do it in front of Cindy.
Speaker 3: And you know what I was just like, is that a key code? Anyways? Like can we get into a key code? But the I mean Ernie's house amazing. It truly is like we have a car. I don't even know what you want to call that auto salon, the auto salon, and then we have the we're gonna go for break and then we're gonna come right back. Hold on, I'm gonna break. This is Sydney stampo and this is top of Nails on w BZ News Radio ten thirty will be right back.
Speaker 2: Sponsored by Flora Decor, National Lumber, and Village.
Speaker 3: Bank show Welcome Back to Toughes Nails on w BZ News Radio ten thirty and I'm here with Lena.
Speaker 4: Grillell, Ernie Bach and Casey Swordon.
Speaker 3: Okay, going back to the conversation, what did you build on your lands? Well, and I went in with you.
Speaker 4: And this is this is probably I assume this is what you're talking about the city. Like I said, when I when I build something, i'd have comfortable surroundings. And also, you know, I'm in my late sixties and I know I'm not going to be on this earth forever. And ever since I was a kid, I've been planning my death, hopefully, hopefully, planning for my death, like I'm not gonna you know, hopefully I go in a supernatural way. It's not like I'm going to off myself or anything. But I've always go ahead. I've always I've always assumed. I've always assumed that the end is near and and and that everybody's going to die. There's nobody going to get out of it, nobody. So why would you want to be Why would you want to be you know, buried alone or buried with strangers. You know you should and and it's kind of a it's what I'm what I'm doing, and people used to do it all the time, you know. So I so I built a mausoleum on my property, which now houses my mother, my father, and my mother's brother.
Speaker 3: Okay, this isn't a mausoleum. This is a house, okay, with music speakers going. We could have a party in there, and then there's a downstairs and upstairs the crypt. The crypt is downstairs. All I can tell you is that I was walking around going, I honest, really fun. Get me out of here right now, right, I'm so nervous. But it's nice, it's comforting.
Speaker 4: It's company, it's nice.
Speaker 3: And so you took your parents up, you took them where they were buried, and you brought them there.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I did not exum them.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, so how they did?
Speaker 4: They? They my parents chose to be cremated, okay. So and you know, I personally don't choose to be cremated.
Speaker 3: I don't need that. I'm coming back. Yeah, and it's really final, by the way, yes, and if I die, they might be a once you get into it.
Speaker 4: It's really interesting because there's three ways to get rid of a body either burn it, bury it, or buried above ground. And so if when you burn it, that's pretty easy. And then when you're buried in the ground, there's a cert and casket you have to have that does it for the liquid that comes out, for the bugs that come in. But when you're above ground, it's a whole different thing, and and and the the laws are different and everything like that. So we're above ground and yeah, I'm going to be.
Speaker 3: Above ground now, but you're at your backyard. Yeah, very different. But I tell you, it's a lot of fun over at Ernie's house at Halloween. Okay, he's got the whole thing all spooked out and.
Speaker 4: It is I love Halloween.
Speaker 3: Okay, So Ernie's like this, I don't know. It's like you, Ernie, like the big toy. You're just a guy that just doesn't age and you just have fun.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, you can't tell me my back has killed me, because.
Speaker 3: Okay, take okay to take more edvil. You do great things for people. You give a lot back. Well, thank you, right, Ernie's the guy that walks in You never know the Tippy's going to leave a waitress, right, he just always pulls a stunt out of his head. But your big cause is what what's your big Well?
Speaker 4: I have a foundation called Music Drives and thank you for bringing it up, and if you want to check it out, it's at music drives us dot org. What we try to do is you try to keep music into the schools, performances and also instruments organizations. It's a passion I've had and where we will be celebrating our twentieth year very soon.
Speaker 3: And I hope everybody understands that it brings music back into the school. So as much as you push music back into the schools, I push vocational back in the And I agree with both. Okay, I totally agree with both. We need mechanics, don't we.
Speaker 4: That's right, technicians also.
Speaker 3: Technicians, yes, problems, electricians and HVAC guys and framers and founded you name it. I am right. So you push that way and I push vocational. What do you guys got coming up? Casey, go ahead, gimme it. What's going on about the So.
Speaker 5: We're we're rocking and rolling over at the Box Center, which has been a huge passion of Ernie's for a long time, and I'm just coming on new as the new CEO, and great, great things are happening at the Box Center this fall. We've got every We've got comedy, we've got family performances, we've got rock and roll.
Speaker 4: We've got it all.
Speaker 3: Well, we always got rock and roll when it comes to any The.
Speaker 4: Box Center, just for people that don't know, is two theaters. A thirty five hundred you talk more than you No, No's okay, I'm just laying it down to hand it to Casey. It's a thirty five hundred seat theater. It will be one hundred years old next year. And across the street is a fifteen hundred seat theater. And Casey is the new guy. After thirty eight years, our former CEO has retired and Casey has taken over. Welcome Casey, thank you wording.
Speaker 3: So we're going to have a place to go hang out when we want to watch whatever being whatever, whoever you bring, whatever art you're bringing into that place. Give me the what you see coming down the road there, that's a visual.
Speaker 5: So the visual and in addition to what you see on the stage, the Box Center is more than just what you see on our stages, which is one hundred and fifty two hundred shows a year. But in addition to that, the Box Center is a place for everyone in our community. We have education programs for young people. We give kids, inner city kids, summer jobs. We train them in musical theater and dance and other art forms. And we're really inspired by the arts. And I was an arts kid like Ernie was. You know, I fell in love with playing music at a young age.
Speaker 3: And that's the crazy pot. He was an AASI kid, love music, but kind of had to go into the filming business.
Speaker 4: Well you got to make a living, You got to make a living exactly.
Speaker 5: But one of the reasons Ernie's been so successful is that creative background that he has. Starts foundationally when you're playing music as a kid, and that helps you in whatever industry that you're in.
Speaker 3: If you had a do over, Ernie, do you think that you went to made out there as a rock and roller? No?
Speaker 4: Absolutely no, absolutely not. I if I would do anything over it, maybe it would have to do with relationships or something like that, but I would.
Speaker 3: Not that we do reover.
Speaker 4: I would do that reover many times alone.
Speaker 3: I know, but here we have like you were supposed to go for dinner last month and we didn't do it. No, I know, we're still we're still with that person. Oh here we go, all right?
Speaker 4: Well, yes I don't but anyway, No, I would not change the thing. And you know it's cool about about having some sort of musical background. Is the Subaru commercials that you hear and see on TV in New England. There's two distinct commercials. There's a factory commercial with the Subaru of America and the Subaru of New England. So all those cool ads you see with the with the music and the and the different jingles and everything like that, we do that all in house. And a Valerio my partner. We write him. He does most of the heavy lifting and then when I can, I play on him. The new electric Subaru commercial that's running right now, it's electric. I don't know if you see it, but that's me on guitar. So the melding of what you love to do with business was was a natural thing for me.
Speaker 3: But you love music. Look at we've been to parties at your hangar with I think the last one was who Aris was playing there? No Perry Joe Perry.
Speaker 4: Joe Perry has played at the end of the year, I do a do a musical.
Speaker 3: Event to in the airplane hanger by the way, to.
Speaker 4: Raise money for music drives. I say, we've had many, many national acts come in and do it. And as a matter of fact, at the end of this year, we have Keifer Sutherlan coming in, you know, the actor of course, Yeah, he's coming in. He's got a band. He's actually excellent.
Speaker 3: He's playing in a band.
Speaker 4: He has a band.
Speaker 3: When you look at how many band members, I don't know, Like, well, now we got Steve Taler, he's retired. They've now come off right because he lost his voice or whatever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know. I can't. I can't call Montan I not to.
Speaker 3: Get can wait. I can't either at this point. But people ask me all that question all the time. Okay, to go back. What are we doing? We having some fundraises coming up, What are we doing for the Box Center? Anything that a city needs to know about.
Speaker 5: We've got all kinds of great stuff, you know for our holiday season this year, we've got The Grinch who Stole Christmas the musical is coming in for seventeen performances.
Speaker 4: It's going to be fantastic. We've got comedy.
Speaker 5: We've got Kevin Hart coming in, Taylor Tomlinson's coming in doing three shows in February. We've got ted Esky Trucks Band and Graham Nash coming up in a few weeks. That's good, so, you know, all kinds of you know, really, I'm really proud of the programming that we have there because there's something for everybody. If you look at our calendar, you'll find something for everybody. So we're very excited about the season. And part of what we do is raise money. We do we do fundraisers, we do corporate events, we do weddings. There's something in there all the time we're promoting a new exhibit with our I don't.
Speaker 3: Think Ernie does anything to make money anymore. I think does everything to raise money.
Speaker 4: One five oh one c three. We do shows to bring moneies in to give back to the community. That's what that's what we do. That's right.
Speaker 3: Okay, We got a question there for Ernie. What's the question.
Speaker 6: What do you see as the biggest challenges facing the automotive industry today and how is your business preparing to address them?
Speaker 4: The biggest challenge of the automotive industry today is the indeciphive, indecisiveness of the government, and they are eating.
Speaker 3: Wait call that thought, because we're gonna go to break and then we're coming right back on that one. It's gonna be good. This is Simmy Stumble You loosen the Toughest Nails on WBZ News Radio ten thirty.
Speaker 2: Be right back, sponsored by Pillow Windows of Boston, Next Day Molding and Kennedy Kark.
Speaker 3: And Welcome back to Temptanhills on WVZ News Radio ten thirty And I'm Sydney. I'm here with Lena Grillo and.
Speaker 4: Ernie Box and Casey Sword.
Speaker 3: Okay, go ahead, pick it up. That was a question. Ask the question again, what do you see is.
Speaker 6: The biggest challenges facing the automotive industry today and how is your business preparing to address them?
Speaker 4: I think the biggest problem with the automotive industry today is the indecisiveness of the government when it comes to EVS electric vehicles. The mandates were unreasonable the manufacturers, some manufacturers jumped on him lost literally billions of dollars because of it, and they didn't really let the market speak what do the people want. That's what we should be concerned with. We shouldn't be concerned with what the government wants us to drive. We should be concerned with what the people that are purchasing these vehicles want to drive. So what is shooken out is those edicts are just starting to gets softer and the manufacturers are realizing that it is ev is. The US is not ready for total EVS right now, for a pletheter plethoda, whatever the word is, for reasons, they just it's just not ready. But what we are ready for and what is extremely popular is of course the ice engines, the the internal combustion engines and hybrids. Hybrids are a logical solution to what the government wants and what people will put up with. So forty seven percent of all toyotas in New England last month or hybrid vehicles, and so that is really where we're going to. And hybrid vehicles are only an interm technology. The endgame is hydrogen. We will be running on hydrogen, not on electricity today, not on gas. We will be running on hydrogen. Really, that's what I think.
Speaker 3: Okay, So you believe, like I believe, governments stay out of our lives as go. So I keep saying, stay out of my life, keep me safe, to live my mail, I'll pay my taxes. I mean.
Speaker 4: Electric vehicles are good for some people. Some people it's perfect. You don't go too far from home, little short hops. It's a great thing, but it's not for everybody.
Speaker 3: We have now lost our gas man. We cannot have any fossil fuel in Newton Brookline.
Speaker 4: I heard about that. That's a whole other day.
Speaker 3: And wait for the first lawsuit of when I build an electric house. They don't know what I'm doing right electric you're taking that right away again?
Speaker 4: And how are they providing that electricity?
Speaker 3: Oh? I don't know. Oh, okay, do you go there? You go right there? And by the way, how's the gree going to handle it? Tell me? Tell me? Oh, by the way, we're going to add a generator. What propane is going to run the generator? Right? So the only place you can have a generator is I'm sorry, pain's not going to run the generator. The electric's gonna run the generator. How's that going to happen? By the way, when the power goes love propane And the only place you can have propane is on your gas fireplace, outside gas grill. We could have propane for that, but you know what's going to happen is people are going to run the propane to the main part of their kitchen, put on the stovetop. And hear me out, Folks, if you think you're gonna get away with something sneaky, you're not because the minute your house of God for Big catched on fire, they're not going to pay your claim because they knew you shouldn't have had that propane. Come to that case.
Speaker 4: We want to abide by the laws, no matter how ridiculous, because we we're a country of laws, and we should abide by the laws. If we don't like them, we should change them.
Speaker 3: And how do we do that?
Speaker 4: Elections? Elections?
Speaker 3: How's that looking? Okay, that's another conversation on the day. Okay, Casey, keep going, honey, talk to us more about the box set.
Speaker 5: So one of the really really neat initiatives of the Box Center in the last couple of years is we call it farhaf right Ernie the Folk Roots Americana Hall of Fame. Yes, and that initiative we have taken the Wang Theater, which is one of the most beautiful theaters in the world, and we have adorned its walls with artifacts related to the history of music, both in Boston and all over the country. With this exhibit, it's very exciting.
Speaker 3: You have a question, what's the question for Casey?
Speaker 6: Casey, With the increasing role of technology in the arts, how do you envision the future of live performances. Do you see a role for digital or hybrid performance in theater?
Speaker 4: It's a great question.
Speaker 3: Next time you keep talking to stay on the mic, don't pull away, because then your voice goes like this, I'm not this thing as sociated. Go ahead.
Speaker 5: So we had a crash during COVID where we weren't able to have audiences inside of theaters, and the technology really came a long way. So we were live streaming artists on theater stages during COVID with no audiences and the only audience was at home. And I think that the there are certain areas where that is going to stick, and then there's certain areas where it's not, where there's no replacement for the live performance. But you know, you know, certain like jam bands or one area where people will you know, they'll watch bands like A Dead and Company or fish.
Speaker 4: People will tune in.
Speaker 5: For all over the world for the for those shows. So certain bands that have you know that are kind of doing a different show every night. A lot of artists go on tour and they do the same show. Ernie knows this every single night. It's the same set list. But then there's bands that have a new show every night. Those are the bands I think that are doing really, really well with live streaming. So it's been an evolving technology. It's exciting to watch, and I think there is a future in it for sure. With certain bands.
Speaker 3: It's fine. Next week and I have a country singer come in that took his song to number one without a record label. Yeah, it's gonna be a great story. He's number one in country music right now playing across the country.
Speaker 4: I'm not that familiar. And then I like country that familiar with that.
Speaker 3: I just always like it. I just like everything. But you know, I'm a rock and roll girl. I just love rock and roll right that gets me going disco? Yeah, absolutely, soft rock thousand percent. Once in nineties hit Up was like, eh, then two thousands.
Speaker 4: I like the I just saw a son Temple Pilots the other night. They were spectacular. You like spccacula. Yeah, you just like the best.
Speaker 3: What's that? Eighties?
Speaker 6: Eighties?
Speaker 3: Well yeah, and you're not an eighties girl, you're a.
Speaker 4: Nineties spandexs eighties like Poison and all those guys spank eighties. Yeah, the long champions fun music.
Speaker 3: I just want to know how many year extensions they're all wearing now, all of them are wearing them. By the way, seventies seventies rock. I like seventies seventies rock guy myself, even though I was only I was born sixty four, so I was ten by seventy four. But it was soft rock, it was rock, it was everything. I'm sorry. We grew up with the best ground of music. We had it all, if you really think about it. We had Motown, we had rocked, we had soft rock, we had hot rock rock, we went into the disco era. What didn't we have? These kids have one music today? I know, like all terrible words like every second.
Speaker 4: And what's crazy about today? Being being here right now? The rock stars when I was a kid are the same rock stars. Granted, Jeff Beck just died, some of them are leaving, but Joe Perry and Rod Stewart and all these they're still a Paul McCartney. If you want to go see Paul McCartney, you can go see Paul McCartney The Rolling Stones. I think it's spectacular, it's funny.
Speaker 3: My kids love that music.
Speaker 4: Good.
Speaker 3: Now will it stop when they have children? That would be the big one. No, No, you don't think so, not at all. The who all the old.
Speaker 6: Studs that I watched, all the music that I grew up on from my parents or my grandparents will all be passed on.
Speaker 3: So I got to tell you something what I've noticed. If you watched if you watch Instagram right and your algorithm goes to where you want it, all the old music is coming out with the roller skaters and the long borders and all that on the West Coast. Off our music. You mean classic rock, classic rock, motown, the.
Speaker 4: Movie soundtracks, some of the most popular movie soundtracks and the last over the last ten years have all been classic rock.
Speaker 3: But if you watch what's really going on coming out of the West Coast, these skaters, and it's crazy, they're just they're everything. But they're just dancing a different way than we did. But they got to go. They got it going on, They got it going on. It's awesome. It's awesome to see roll skating back big time. We don't see it here in Boston West Coast.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I thought we already did that. Didn't we do that?
Speaker 3: In like the Lace It was called spinoff?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, my father on that place. Okay, I was a skate guy with the whistle. Okay, how are we looking back in those crazy days of the eighties? Okay, it was well fun days, by the way. Good do you have any of the questions from those Okay, did Nelson come in the room? By the way, he left his phone somewhere and left. That's like the craziest thing. Okay, So you talk to me, keep going, talk to me about what else coming up? Pierre.
Speaker 5: So we were talking a little bit about the Hall of Fame. You want to talk a little bit about the Hall of Fame already?
Speaker 4: Yeah, far Haff Farhoff. The Folks Folk Americana Roots Hall of Fame is going to be based is based in Boston. If you recall the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which is in Cleveland, it took years and years and years just to get it off the ground. We think we hit the ground running with Farhoff and we're very much interested in showing the roots of that type of music. Boston was a big hotbed of it back then, and is, you know, part of the fabric of the of society. It's folk Americana roots music is spectacular.
Speaker 5: It is, I mean, it really is. It's a unique music of our area and of our country. And we're excited to have the Wang Theater be a host to ett.
Speaker 3: All that thought we could go to break comp City Stumbley, What's the tough of Nails on WBZ and his radio tenth Threats.
Speaker 2: Sponsored by Newbrook Realty Group, Boston Wood Smaller Insurance, World Auto Body and Tasca Drive Auto Body.
Speaker 3: And Welcome back to Toughest Nails. Welcome back to Toughest Nails on w BZ News Radio ten thirty. Come on, you can't beat that.
Speaker 4: Let me tell you these err Smith bumpers. He's a spectacular tyler. Sounds like a little kid.
Speaker 3: Come on, you can't beat that.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 3: That Sorry.
Speaker 4: If you want to see Aerosmith the type of stuff, check out the Joe Perry Project. Joe's well, he's gonna keep going, keep going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely so He's he'll be in the studio too, so he's, uh, he's gonna keep going long.
Speaker 4: I think so absolutely.
Speaker 3: It's just that music. It's that music that just gets okay. I can't speak for everybody gets me going.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Joe's in a band called the Hollywood Vampires, which is Joe Perry, Alice Cooper, Tommy hendricksonning with them, and Johnny Depth. I get to hang around with them for a bit, but they're they're they're at your house. They're coming, they're coming out there, they're going to be they're doing a European tour and and hopefully an American these guys. Johnny's actually a great guitar player. Really, it's actually he's Yeah, I think it's I think it's Let me tell you if if if you're playing with Alice Cooper and you're playing with Joe Perry, you have your musicianship has to be there because they won't tolerate it. I don't care how many movies you've.
Speaker 3: Made, doesn't matter how old is Perry.
Speaker 4: Now about Joe, I don't know, you have to look it up, but he looks good now. He looks good.
Speaker 3: He looks good. Kind of all are good, even know it's rock and roll of state Lean, how's that possible.
Speaker 4: I think it's a metabolism.
Speaker 3: I really do well on stage.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's a metallian. Plus, they're all crazy anyway, and that kind of.
Speaker 3: Aren't we all kind of crazy? This good crazy and bad crazy. I just want every note. When Ernie has a party in his house and we go there, Ray just loves to sit and watch the people when they come in go right fall into the pool as they head to the bar. It's a crazy thing you've ever seen. Yeah, Ernie's gotten into a pool. Let me let me set the scene up as a builder and at the end of the pool there's a bar, right and then people stop backing up on the bar and people just walk in like they don't see the pool, and Ray just the thing goes. I guarantee you three people going to the pool next hour.
Speaker 4: It's a funny thing. It's a funny thing because one time I had an event there and I had to literally announce to people this is a pool.
Speaker 3: I don't know what they think that is a pool.
Speaker 4: Because people I think it's I think it's much like a casino. When you walk around the casino, your eyes onto the floor, your eyes are level and up exactly. People just they just walk right in. When you walk into something like that, you don't expect a pool. And when you don't expect something.
Speaker 3: The ceilings how high? Yeah, you're not paying attention. I don't know five feet high? Right, and they're heading to the barn. Always wants to do is sit and watch people fall in the pool. Like he thinks that he actually sits there, he goes, I guarantee to what people going to fall in the pool. Guys get out, they come out there and they're pulling their money out of there, but they literally don't see the pool.
Speaker 4: But that but that that was at the beginning. That was aw that was last summer. Yeah, okay, well now they know. Now they know there's.
Speaker 3: The guy went boat right down in there. It's actually fun. Do you have a question? Okay, wait then let it take it because she's on the mic.
Speaker 6: Ernie, you are known for your extensive charitable work. What drives there philanthropic efforts? And how do you decide which causes.
Speaker 3: Can you finish? When you talk miss co host, she's new.
Speaker 4: I think I think people. I think people, no matter what level that you give give back or do charitable contributions. That everybody does something that they are passionate about. I think that. And when I get involved with something, it's something I really care about. Or if I discover something and I say, oh, I never knew this, this is terrible. Let me let me try and help out. I think. I think it's passion and it's also a it's it's a very human thing to do, you know, it's but.
Speaker 3: That's not true. No, No, we both know guys that are very, very wealthy and don't give nothing back. So that's not true.
Speaker 4: Okay, I don't know that.
Speaker 3: That's just you. That's your money, all right, so give yourself that a boy in the back, right, all right. Well, I know a lot of guys that are worth a couple of days and they don't do.
Speaker 4: That's to me, that's unheard of.
Speaker 3: That is that is crazy.
Speaker 4: That is crazy, absolutely crazy.
Speaker 3: They think they're taking it with them when they die. I guess, yeah, Well they have this fear of being poor again. If that makes any sense.
Speaker 4: It does make sense, say, especially if you if you didn't come from money and you make a lot of money. It's what did they used to call it? They call it depression? Baby, syndrome.
Speaker 3: Is that? What is yah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, the kids that grew up during the depression and then made money as they got older because they invented something to work.
Speaker 3: About guys my age, we never went through depression?
Speaker 4: Well, the older guys, the older guys, the generation or two about us?
Speaker 3: What about what about our generation of mine? Right now?
Speaker 4: There's no excuse. Let's bring them in here and take them to task.
Speaker 3: I do it all the time. I need money for what cause? Now whatever I tell you, write a check, period and the story. But no, you'd be amazed. So don't just think that people with wealth just give money away. They don't. I'm watching it. That are guys that are my age that have hit the B mark. Give me fifty thousand for a hospital for you know, researcher. It's like pot like seriously. But then when they need something from me at rigams, Cindy, can you get yeah, stroke a check and next time give me a check right now. I know you're in the emergency room dying, but give me a check right now. So when I call and get you right in with that person, they did help you.
Speaker 4: I do interesting. Well. I encourage everybody if you can.
Speaker 3: Give when you give out during COVID cap going that Mic No, he closed down a gas station earning road Joe's and No, which she's an nowod girl by the way. She grew up in We won't we won't hold that against them.
Speaker 4: We're getting very locally here.
Speaker 6: What part of like when we were younger, all our kids like Ernie Junior's house, like we used.
Speaker 2: To love it.
Speaker 4: We're part of oid over by Shaws Shaws. Yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, yep, yep. That used to be the I think that used to be an A and P and then it was a stopping shop and now it's shots.
Speaker 6: I've been there.
Speaker 3: Let me get this straight. So you'd walk by Ernie Box Junior Junior's.
Speaker 6: House complex that is right near your house.
Speaker 3: Let's not dock some completely, but go ahead.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I had friends there, so I would go there all the time. But even just driving by, everyone would be like.
Speaker 3: Did you want to peek to the gates and jump over the wall? We did you peak to the gates?
Speaker 6: Look like in there.
Speaker 4: I don't go out that all.
Speaker 3: Did you ever go over there for Halloween? They leave candys.
Speaker 6: Halloween is always.
Speaker 3: A great place for the kids.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Halloween's good you know what I learned about Halloween because I do. I you know, I opened my house to Halloween and give the kids candy and everything like that. And this is nothing against the parents, nothing against the parents, but there's quite a bit of drinking. There's quite a bit of drinking because the parents always accompany the kids. The kids come in, they grab all the candy, and then the wave of alcohol smell comes before the parents get there. You're kidding me, No, I didn't. I would shocked myself.
Speaker 3: You're going out Hallow for Halloween with your kids and you're drunk. Well, oh you're drinking.
Speaker 4: No, we didn't say that. Yeah, I'm just surprised that there's so much drinking around Halloween. Really, I thought it was like Christmas and New Year's and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Halloween's for children.
Speaker 6: A house around my grandmother's neighborhood last year was handing out alcohol for the adults.
Speaker 3: What.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's a good idea. I like that.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the city of Now that's a town. No, it's a town, right, town. Ernie just owns all the land him. You just bought up all your houses around you and then that's it. Like, that's it. But now hold on now that I love mass Us too. As much as I don't like the all the crazy policies, I'm still a mask girl and I'm not leaving here. I'll go to Florida like you, back and forth. But I like it here too. I know it's crazy. The weather is lousy, but grounded. It seems like we're more grounded. It's a grounded I love the cold, I love the crazy.
Speaker 4: I absolutely love when it's cold, just because it's because it's we already had the hot, we already had the warm. Now it's time for cold, and we go to then we go to warm again, then we go to hot, and then we go to warm and it's cold. I love it, man, So exciting to you, yeah, very exciting.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right. So yep, she grew up in nood the X of mine grew up and know it. I know it all around me. Yeah. That's actually kind of funny because you're gonna marry Chad. You're from nowhere too. Mm hmmmm.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So you're you gonna get married in Saint Catherine's.
Speaker 3: No, No, why is that the big? Uh church? You know it?
Speaker 4: Beautiful church? Beautiful church? Is it gothic, big, beautiful gothic.
Speaker 3: You know I like the gothic look very nice. Oh, you might have to check that one out. And then what everybody to Boston always got that stupid thing in my face? Can you stop that thing? Like just I don't know what, you know what, I'm gonna bring it to the studio. I'm going to bring those things that you throw what do they call dots, and I'm just gonna dot you out. Okay, we'll go out for break. Is there any more questions over there before we go to break? Okay, so go stop the question before I go up to break.
Speaker 6: Ernie, do you have any archived footage that we can run his content on chatter and maybe take donations to your nonprofit?
Speaker 3: Okay, hold that thought. We gotta go for great. Sorry, I'm not the bad guy here. I'm really not. My producer is the bad guy. I'm Sidney Stumping. You listen to Toughest Nails on w BZ News Radio ten thirty and'll be right back to can come and welcome back to Toughest Nails on w BZ News Radio ten thirty And I'm Cindy Stump and I'm here with how are you up, Lena.
Speaker 4: Grillo and Ernie Bach and Casey Sword.
Speaker 6: Okay, the question was what fast Ernie, do you have any archived footage that we could run as content on chatter and maybe take donations to your nonproduct.
Speaker 4: Absolutely? Absolutely. You can go to music drives list dot org and everything is there and.
Speaker 3: If we need some stuff, I'll get a phone, okay, Casey.
Speaker 5: So to support the Box Center and all of our great things we're doing in the community, if you go to boxcenter dot org you can find all of our information and boxcenter dot org slash donate to support our mission.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Okay, you know I love you Ry.
Speaker 4: Yes, Yes, I love you too, Sandy.
Speaker 3: And you have a great everybody, have a great, safe weekend. We'll see you next say night. This is Cindy Stumbo Tough his nails on WBZ News Radio ten thirty and sign it off.