Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services Ensure your most Prized possessionets.
Speaker 2: Hey, good afternoon, everybody. Welcome to you.
Speaker 3: I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. You're Troy. I just Sin fromgoysycats dot Com. You're Ray from the U A in a restaurant, local restaurant because see my boy Ray, Yep, you have to go play Easter eight Hunt and try to find him.
Speaker 4: I got good games on usually.
Speaker 5: You know. That's the best part about being a bartender is like you know when you're like, go to like a restaurant or something like that, and it's like they never have the right game.
Speaker 2: So how many games do you have behind you?
Speaker 4: Just too?
Speaker 6: I mean to two TVs T TVs. Okay, you just need ESPN one and two.
Speaker 4: Yeah really sometimes most of the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no, cool, it's a midtown one because you have a little bit like I don't know if I should say.
Speaker 4: It, you can you say it's just King Fisher.
Speaker 6: King fish is good, good food, good fish, good drinks, good drinks.
Speaker 2: Friendly bartender. How you doing?
Speaker 7: We did hut.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome to Monday Show. A lot of drama over the weekend. H Mistery's game. I would tell Ray, you weren't here, Troy, And I'll tell this to Lev who's one of the guests on the side.
Speaker 2: It must be terror to be a UA baseball fan.
Speaker 3: Because no leaders say, no, you don't know what the hell's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: You don't score enough runs.
Speaker 3: Over the last month or so I watched when I started paying attention, it was like every game was like that. You know, it's two runs enough, it's one run enough, it's ten running off.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and it wasn't enough. They rode the wave of that holy and then and they found the way to win, right until they didn't until reality yeah well yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, things just fell apart, you know, and just kind of freaky freaky things. First game they lost, they hit the you know, the line or whatever, a couple of fluke hits, they lose. And then yesterday was another one of those you didn't score enough, a couple of good flukey hits and.
Speaker 6: They lose in a massive eighth in and collapse in both games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not unbelievable, but believable and sad for them because they had a pretty good year.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it's a building season. You know, you get to the College World Series, nobody expected you to be there. Now they're I don't want to say expectations to do it every year, because he can do that, but expectations of at least, you know what a team should be having it wrong to get in the postseason, and whatever happens happens, and you know, one out of every four years, that's that's a good ratio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see if that continues. But a very good year.
Speaker 3: We'll talk more about that with Michael liv at four seventeen he did not go, but he was still writing off She covered the games every game here and then at three seventeen, who we have and.
Speaker 6: Oh Noah Flafida Arizon a quarterback and entering his third season as the starter. Fourth season overall. So Redchard Junior was up to good get by you. Great to have him on the show. Just I want to you get to talk football, talk a little football, well, to talk more about just him as a person, because I like kind of getting behind the scenes for that. So that'll be a lot of fun where they're at what they're doing right now in this one hundred and thirty thousand degree heat.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on saying, oh people, it's hot. It's Tucson.
Speaker 3: Since since the age of time, since it created this, it's been that way.
Speaker 2: Can even we're saying, God, it's not.
Speaker 6: Basically from mid June all the way till I'll say September, it's gonna be this way.
Speaker 2: Well I know, and in fact it was probably October last.
Speaker 3: I was like, and I thought I was getting old, because you know, I've been here a while. Now I'm think I'm getting I get take this grab, but I could take this crap. This is a great place to And here you are again, another show, another summer show.
Speaker 2: We're gonna be ready out of people. Ray, my guest is Ray. I'm here for it. Get two TVs. We do the show from Kik Fisher. She's gonna start pulling regular.
Speaker 3: Yay Lily champion twelve year old Jimmy that's right, Hey, I'm laughing out what that might be happening.
Speaker 2: Temmy the hostess, yeah, or the waiter on the show. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, how you doing. He's been here for seven years, seen it all before.
Speaker 3: Were you from Schenectady. Uh, no, you can tell it's one hundred ten because I'm delious. No good, Okay, So what else did you see this weekend?
Speaker 2: Anything else?
Speaker 6: Uh? You know Arizona football a couple of big time recruits over the weekend. R J.
Speaker 2: I think it's r J Moss receiver coming in from Texas. I saw that.
Speaker 6: So getting a three star receiver from the state of Texas. Uh, they had a couple of today. I think it was Griffin Forgets the last name on the top of my head.
Speaker 2: But I raised crying over here because you're taking some of.
Speaker 6: His breaking Nuice Mosley, thank you, I said, yeah, mostly. But you know, anytime you can get three star kids out of Texas, four star kids out of Texas, you're sitting party and this is what they want to do.
Speaker 2: He went to Texas or he's just from from the state of Okay.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so you know, this is what this coaching staff wanted to do, is get in there, get their footing in there. Did a very good job last season of doing that. So this is a continuation of that.
Speaker 3: Didn't you ask last time you were on the show, you asked about going to Texas and doing what.
Speaker 2: Was the situation. We're talking about softball. Softball, Okay, softball when you get going there and.
Speaker 6: Take going there, going to the south and softball something else. We're talking about softball. Just how to expand the recruitings outside of the backbusters in Orange County.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so okay, if you feel it's good, it's it's good enough for me. We'll see what we'll see what happens in in the fall. Is he gonna play win?
Speaker 6: Well, he's going to be the twenty twenty five six cold reclass. So you know, this time next all three hopefully, Yesky, hopefully this time next year they are on campus because again, until National Signing Day happens and everybody signs, you could be committed, but it really doesn't mean.
Speaker 2: Much right right these days anymore? Right? M hm? Okay?
Speaker 3: Anything else of the UA baseball?
Speaker 2: Nothing happy. Did you spend some time with your dad?
Speaker 6: Yeah, we went and saw Indiana Jones and Raiders of the Lost Arc in theaters on Sunday. We went and saw that the first one, final, first one. Yeah, are you joking?
Speaker 2: No? Oh, your first one? Okay, that's what I was saying. That said. Have you seen Johns lately?
Speaker 6: No? I mean, I love Indiana Jones and so it dies. He so, you know, watching the classic movie and the Galaxy was cool. Fun, went to breakfast and diningbacks, took two out of three from the pottery.
Speaker 2: He went to the horrible one. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wait till he takes you to Barberella. You'll be fascinated. Yeah, it was, It was okay, it wasn't okay.
Speaker 6: Game.
Speaker 3: He was seventy two degrees inside one hundred and fourteen outside.
Speaker 6: So I was, okay, it's a jungle out there.
Speaker 2: It's a concrete jungle.
Speaker 4: Dude, it's just man, the air like it feels like oven.
Speaker 2: Yeah hot, but I call it. I call it blood her bull dryer. Yeah, you know, I just got like a holy crap. It's no different.
Speaker 6: It's just two degrees differently, five degrees different when you're when you can be cooked at medium rare or just medium. What's the difference. You know some people really might take offense to that.
Speaker 5: I know, man, I've met chefs that it's like, oh, you don't want your your steak medium rare?
Speaker 2: Okay, get off. Okay, I was wondering what happened.
Speaker 3: I got that, I got that light look you got to dalk what I like.
Speaker 2: He appreciate it, good color te.
Speaker 3: Uh, okay, well looking forward to Noah, Yeah, we don't know. We're gonna try to get some other people obviously, uh, women's the baseball basketball coach down the road here pretty soon.
Speaker 2: You have some feelers for other people too, I think, don't you.
Speaker 6: Potentially we're trying to get the athletic director directory. She was on the road, but she's been on the road dealing with a lot of administratives and stuff, obviously the hiring another new track coach and so on and so forth.
Speaker 2: It's a busy time of year or an athletic director. I had a conversation with her maybe two three weeks ago. I've do it.
Speaker 3: I did a story on her profile, one of the top ten I think his women in Tucson or son of Aris on her and Kim Adare so, you know, just profiling what they're up against, you know, how they became who they became, stuff like that. So, yeah, she's pretty busy. But she was very good, very honest about her situation here. You know, you're in now. I had to turn turn around a lot of things, a small deficits still, but you know what, it's a small deficit, not it's not massive one, not a massive one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And actually we had doctor Robbins.
Speaker 3: On I don't know, last year sometime and I quoted him in the story and he said, eighteen months ago he had had hoped or his his goal was to have it eradicated by now.
Speaker 2: And pretty much it pretty much is. It's on track.
Speaker 3: It's on tracked, and it looks very small. I mean, the next few months it should be.
Speaker 6: Done because I mean we were talking about what it was over one hundred million I think overall, yes, but forty five in the forty five in the athletic department. Yeah, if you can get it down to like, let's say fifteen twenty range.
Speaker 2: Don't you think that's that's just a massive number. That's it is.
Speaker 6: And you know what though, compared to other universities, Yeah, that's not bad.
Speaker 2: That's a funny thing about it.
Speaker 3: When we talked to doctor Robbins back then, and I'm saying everyone knew about there was one situation no one knew about other peoples because it was a universal type of thing.
Speaker 2: Everybody was going through it. It just said this happened to be public. Well like call Athletic Department.
Speaker 6: Last time I heard there, I think over three hundred million dollars in that because of the the stadium renovations, everything going on, moving conferences and YadA YadA YadA. As their stadium was built on a fault line, so all those renovations that they had to make for it to be feasible for fans to be in there, extremely extremely expensive.
Speaker 2: They're number one in debt and.
Speaker 3: And everybody's going through it except for the except for the high hoy twenty ones who already have more money than God inside their programs.
Speaker 2: Oil money, oil money. I saw that. I saw that.
Speaker 3: It was the Beverly Hillbillies. They found it in the back yard. He got some gold, gold with liquid gold.
Speaker 2: It was gonna start shooting around the backyard and see it oil.
Speaker 3: I tried to come up with the uh I always talking about.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it was with you.
Speaker 3: Where Arizona has its liquid gold, it's called Alabera, But I don't know anybody who owns any You know, you got some of the backyard, you just go cut that cag just put it in my burd right here.
Speaker 6: It would be fine. I don't know if that's gonna save the University of It. It'll just save my injury. That's all. That's all I care about. It was spoiled. I'm just it's up later. What else, ray anything?
Speaker 4: Nothing?
Speaker 2: Nothing.
Speaker 6: I don't waste your don't waste your break your news bullets and yeah.
Speaker 2: We gotta what time is he calling us? Are were calling him?
Speaker 6: I was assuming he's calling us? Three three seventeen seventeen. Okay, we got about a minute then before we before we wait for.
Speaker 2: Him to call.
Speaker 3: I'm looking forward to it because I haven't never really spoken to him when I won. I did maybe two years ago. Uh maybe maybe not because Laura was still here. Uh and NOTO but team team. Yeah, so so we'll see. I'm looking forward to it. A good family. Have you talked to them, to them.
Speaker 6: On and off, you know, around training camp in spring football?
Speaker 2: So she's out there.
Speaker 3: You can just tell they have a good family. His dad's on Twitter a lot right reposting stuff. So okay, let is go. We'll figure out figure run out of steam here in my ala Vera.
Speaker 8: Got bugs, termites, fees or rodents. Azon pest control we'll hunt them down. Arizona pest Control is your complete desert Pest management specialists can't run or hide from Arizona pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation Today.
Speaker 9: Spring is in the air and the school year is coming to a close. Time to order your academic and spring sports awards for your student athlete.
Speaker 2: Creative Awards with.
Speaker 9: Fifty two years as your top awards and promotional product supplier. Give them an award they can be proud of. They have trophies, blacks, acrylics, art class, fine crystal, metal, name badges, stock and custom awards. Come visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West TrackMan Street, across the street from Pema College downtown campus, or visit them online at Creative awardsaz dot com.
Speaker 10: Looking for quality windows without the weight, come to the window depot. We carry a huge selection of mill Guard windows in stock now and ready for pickup. Need something custom, no problem, From new construction to full home replacement. We'll help you order the perfect mill guard windows built to fit your space, style and budget. Whether you're a homeowner or contractor, the Window Depot makes it easy to get the windows you need fast. Visit the window deepot dot com to find a location near you and see why we're your mill guard window experts.
Speaker 3: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give we'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 9: Richard, butcall law office defending Arizona's for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, Call Richard McCall five two oh seven to four to oh twelve thirteen. Browt sponsor of Eye on the Ball, Go Catch.
Speaker 10: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space Today. Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a Windows store.
Speaker 2: Five. Mining so important.
Speaker 11: It's the foundation of everything that defines a society. Everything you see is a product of mine, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet has developed, grown, and modernized based solely on the minerals affuent process. That's why finding is so important.
Speaker 12: Go to VGYBM dot com.
Speaker 13: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement, from the latest slots in table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 2: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 13: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul the soul of Tucson.
Speaker 2: Are you ready enterprise so fasco Yaki? Try at Nova home Loans.
Speaker 12: We believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com dot com, that's volpe team dot com or cull five two oh SIXE eight five six two six Today n MLS three oh eight seven, arizon A b k O nine two nine to four two Equal Housing Opportunity, Got to Commitment to Lyndrix, syn credit rates and available loan programs of subtets to change with the don't notice Did you know?
Speaker 14: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at a chart or expand your collection. Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and.
Speaker 2: Trading card games.
Speaker 14: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on EA Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere truy Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 1: Breaking down all the ipsys and os. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 3: Come back to Eye on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty I'm Steve Rivera. You're Troy Hutchison from Goisycats dot com and now you have noet You a quarterback?
Speaker 2: You all know him? Noah? How you doing.
Speaker 7: I'm doing good. How you guys doing.
Speaker 3: We're doing fine. What are you guys up to? June fifteenth. June sixteenth, it's hot as hell out there.
Speaker 7: Yes, they just work outs today, lift running a player run practice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how's that going.
Speaker 15: It's going well.
Speaker 7: Extremely excited for the future.
Speaker 6: So for fans that don't like understand the player run practices, and all that because obviously the coaching staff can't be out there. How does that come about? And how does that day work when you have these player driven practices And is it just a couple of guys taking charge, Hey, we're going to do this is and this just kind of detailed that for us.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so it is put definitely player ran a lot of NCAA rules that even I don't know, But all I know is that the coaches aren't allowed to be there, So we control the drills, we control the the competitive periods, and it's it's just a great opportunity for the team to come together.
Speaker 15: It's a great.
Speaker 7: Opportunity for the leaders to be able to kind of control the environment so that when the coaches do come we're already firing on off cylinders.
Speaker 3: I would assume that this is where a lot of the chemistry is coming coming up, you know, because you guys can be with your with yourselves on your own, uh and you get to you know, kind of build that uh pass catch type of chemistry.
Speaker 7: REPS class is so important, but at the end of the day, the reps is on the field is where you build timing and you build confidence and rhythm with your guys, So this is June and July are incredibly important for the for the season.
Speaker 6: Yeah, not only you know, in terms of reps and stuff like that is an important for it, but you guys are breaking in a new offense with Seth Day's offense, and obviously defenses are making tweaks too.
Speaker 2: Dan A. Gonzalez taken over. I mean, is it is it kind of.
Speaker 6: Like class room study time during the off season with the playbook and now that you're not in spring football and you're kind of gearing up for training camp and getting prepared with this new playbook and just knowing the ins and outs and the details of it all.
Speaker 15: There's really everything June and July are are.
Speaker 7: Like I said, it's super important because this is kind of we're the only people really in Tucson of most of the students, most of the schools back home for summer, so it's really just us out here. So we get to spend a lot of time with each other inside the facility and outside. But also a lot of us are enrolled in one class. Maybe some have to, but for the most part, we spend most of our day at the facility, whether that's workouts, runs, lifts, whether that's PRPs or even just extra work. We will do often to walk throughs a couple of times a week, just the players, and then we'll watch the film together. So with it being just us here, you get to build that chemistry, you get to build that culture and that family as a team. But you also get to build your knowledge in the new playbook and building the confidence in there so that once we get to No.
Speaker 3: So, I don't know how you want to respond to this, but let me say this. I've been here a long time, way older than you've been alive, you know, thirty seven thirty eight years, covered some great basketball teams and some pretty good football teams.
Speaker 2: And I'll start with this.
Speaker 3: Over the last few months, your coaches, Daigie and even Gonzales, and I'm sure Brendan from time to time has raved the hell out of you just as a person, as a leader, as a dude, as a dude. You know, and coaches do that, you know, with their players, but this is different to me. I just sense that they raised the hell out of you. The person you are, the leadership qualities you show, just the concern you have. I don't know how that sits with you. To me, it's just amazing because and I know we live in a different time with coaches and student athletes, but I mean maybe Steve Kerr back in the day, maybe back you know, when they raved about stuff like that, but not since then.
Speaker 2: In my mind, how does that sit with you?
Speaker 3: Because you get a lot of a lot of praise for the coaches just off the field.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it really is.
Speaker 15: It's a blessing for sure.
Speaker 7: I'm super appreciative of all the coaches, especially Coach Deggy. He's been kind of my my leader since he's been here, and we've been able to build a great connection since since the day he signed his contract. So I'm super excited to be able to play for him. But definitely the compliments and the and the love that they show it doesn't go unnoticed, and I'm super appreciative of it. But at the same time, I don't take it for granted. I know that I have a long way to go in terms of being a leader, and Coach Deggi's helped me and help me make great strides in in that aspect. But at the end of the day, the only thing that truly matters is is winning football games. So that's where that's where my mindset is, and I know Coach Degi is the same way, which is why I feel like we get along and every person.
Speaker 15: In the offensive and the offensive room is ready.
Speaker 3: To go to war for him and if I can follow up. This doesn't have I mean, it doesn't open over years. Uh when did your leadership calls start to me? I feel maybe you were eight years old and you were in your group of friends or whatever and they said this, dude, this is pretty good, you know, as an eight year old, and you're thinking, Okay, I'm gonna lead you guys, and.
Speaker 2: We're going to be good together. Do you remember when this started?
Speaker 7: Not exactly, I think. I think you're getting a lot of confidence as you get to as you have more and more success playing the sport. And have been extremely blessed to be able to play the quarterback position and play football suntil I was five years old, so I've seen a lot of blessings come my way, and I think that that breeds confidence. But also most of my role models are are alphas. My father, my grandfathers, both my grandfathers, and then obviously my uncles that I've talked about so many times at the end of the day, they're alpha males and just kind of being raised by them, seeing seeing the way that they act, especially when adversity hits. They're always the ones that stand up. They never they never shy.
Speaker 15: Away from anything.
Speaker 7: And I see the same things in Kachdegi, So I think that's why I got so much respect for him. But I would say just the people that raised me and the experienced guys is blessed me with you know.
Speaker 6: No looking at it, you're coming up on your junior red shirt season. You started the your sophomore season. You know, you got the starting role after a while. Last year you had the year that you did, and you talk about, you know, wanting to get the program back on track. But I want to ask you, and especially in a day of the transfer portal NIL and player movement, we see it all the time, you're one of the rare players that has stuck.
Speaker 2: With the program.
Speaker 6: You you know, you have the opportunity to leave when your former coach to Jetfish left, you chose Arizona at that moment, and then the season you guys had last year, it would have been very easy for a lot of guys just to leave and look for a better opportunity in terms of right away, you know, not wanting to work things out. Why is it for you that you've chosen to pick Arizona again and again and and want to be a part of this program and a part of the solution.
Speaker 15: That's just how I was raised.
Speaker 7: I was raised to be loyal to the loyal to you in Arizona, and the city of Tucson has been so good to me and my family, so I got so much love for to see a Tucson. But also it's not just me. You have guys like Genesis Smith, you have guys like Chris Hunter, and then even guys like Chris Hudson who decided to come here. It really is a is a team effort, it's a family. We all decided to come here, we all want to be here. And at the end of the day, I want to be a part of the team that that brings Tucson a winning football program.
Speaker 15: And that's been my dream.
Speaker 7: That's what I told my family was gonna happen when I came here, and I'm not shying away from that. That's that's just kind of how.
Speaker 15: We were raised.
Speaker 7: We try to keep our promises, and I feel like this is where God wants me to be. So I love the city of Tucson.
Speaker 15: I love this.
Speaker 7: Football program, and I'm excited to go play for a team and a family.
Speaker 15: Who is locked in and all in on bringing.
Speaker 7: A championship back to Tucson Football Championship.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, that said, you're one of the more recognizable players that's not a basketball player, because right we see their faces. You're in commercials now and you've been here a while. How has Tucson not responded to you? But I'm sure that when you go out publicly and little kids see you or even parents see you, you must not so much be overwhelmed, but kind of like I don't know, no, no, I signed this, and no, no, you're great, and maybe how you influence the little kids?
Speaker 7: Yes, sir, it's definitely a blessing that I've looked forward to for a long time. I remember when I was young and we would go to our my dad would take our football teams to UCLA or usc spring games, and my dad always told me, like, don't forget that you were the little kid asking for autographs and asking her pictures.
Speaker 15: I'll never forget where you came from.
Speaker 7: So It's definitely something that my dad's been preaching to me when I was young, and now that this year, I'm extremely grateful for it, especially the little kids because that's the next generation. So it's always great to show love back for all the all the support that they give us.
Speaker 3: You, Uh, go ahead, I was gonna say, do you have a Do you have a funny story of some little kid coming up to you and you know, saying, hey, could you sign this or whatever?
Speaker 7: Maybe not me, maybe not a funny story about me, but uh, mister Arms.
Speaker 2: Is somewhere that we go a lot.
Speaker 7: Shout out Chris to shep over there.
Speaker 15: He's the one that takes care of us.
Speaker 7: So we've been going to mister Arms very often. But I do remember we went. It was me, t Mac and then one of our boys in Nela.
Speaker 15: Who's on who's on our team? And we walked in the whole, the whole kind of restaurant.
Speaker 7: There was a table full of college kids and it was I think it might have been right after t Mac got drafted, So uh, they gave Ta Mac a chant and they started chanting you oway the rest of the night. So that's that was an interesting night for sure.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, you talk about Tea Mac getting drafted, and obviously two are very close and you've grown up together throughout your football career. Uh, just seeing him being able to go through OTAs and live his NFL dream and get drafted, what does that mean to you? As one of his closest friends. And I've been parsing that. Yeah, getting to be a part of that, that experience with him.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the whole process was amazing, all the way through from the pro day to seeing him at a combine to obviously draft weekend. Draft Day was I.
Speaker 15: Can't really put into words because.
Speaker 7: This is just someone that that I've grown up with and I've seen him do everything that he's done, and I've also seen him just kind of not not conformed to the patterns of the world and not do what the world says is right and what the world thinks is the only way he really made his own path. And yeah, he's the best player in Arizona history. But his his personality and the type of guy that he is is is why he's so special. So tired of seeing him just go through this whole process and not lose o to who he is going too his draft party which was ridiculous. It's been it's been awesome to watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So now maybe the undred thousand dollars question is how is life going to be without him? Because you know you have to find a buddy or two to kind of fill that role.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but people have stepped up in a in a big way.
Speaker 15: And you give.
Speaker 7: Credit to coach Deggy, coach Bobby Wade as well as Kayleb Moore who've reamped that receiver room.
Speaker 2: From the returners who.
Speaker 7: Are so special in their own right, Chris Hunter, Devin Hyatt, Brandon Phelps has come along. Then you have the freshman who came in, Gio Richardson and Isaiah Mizelle, Jeremiah Patterson still here, and then the guys that we brought in from Chris Hudson to trace Biby new New Wattlee.
Speaker 15: So that room is is so special.
Speaker 7: That room has everything that that we need to be great. And I've told I've told so many people how excited I am because because of the type of people they are, and then obviously we've seen what they could do on the field. We have every attribute, We have every attribute in that room that we need.
Speaker 15: To be successful.
Speaker 7: And realistically, if you write them all down on paperwork, eight to ten hevers deep.
Speaker 15: All guys who can win what they're one on ones, all.
Speaker 7: Guys who are competitive, and all guys who can play. So I'm so excited about that room and this offense and this team in general.
Speaker 6: You know, I know there's a lot of new faces on the coaching staff with the new offense, Cordinair, new defense coordinaire, a couple of new coaches on the defensive end as well. But as compared to this time last year, as you're gearing up for a season with a whole new staff, a new head coach, and Brennan now he's in year two, is there a sense of, I don't want to say calmness, but a little bit better understanding of yeah, stability, a little bit better understanding of what the expectations are with Brennan, and just kind of gearing a little bit easier transition, gearing up for year two. Yeah.
Speaker 7: I wouldn't say anything about last year. I'm not like not comparing any last year, but just in general, there's definitely a confidence and an understanding of what the standard is, and our leaders have definitely roast the occasion. Our leaders have definitely become more vocal. Some guys have emerged as leaders who've kind of helped take this team to the next level. And obviously, like I said before, it doesn't matter what happens in June and July. At the end of the day, it matters what happens on the field, and this is all the process to get to it. So we all trust the process. We all trust coach Brennan, we trust coach Carroll, are straight the conditioning coach, and at the end of the day, we trust the process. So as we continue to go through that process, as we continue to work to get ready for the season, there's a definitely stability in terms of we understand what the expectation is and we understand what this seems capable of as long as we're all bought in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no question.
Speaker 3: Let me throw you on an odd question just because I covered JJ Taylor. I don't know, five, six, seven years ago when rich Rod was here, a shorter running back, a very dynamic, speedy guy. You're on the shorter side for a quarterback, but and people to ask him, how do you do this because you're shorter? So this is all I know, This is who I am and for you, same thing. You're more You're very athletic and talented, but you're also crafty, and I'm sure that has play a part in who you are in terms of getting to do things that other people can do.
Speaker 7: Does that make sense, yes, sir, And I think one thing that I don't talk about my dad a lot, but one thing he's always kind of preached to me is because I lacked size and other things, I got to make up for it in other ways. And I always found pride in my preparation.
Speaker 15: I always found pride in doing it short.
Speaker 7: Work more than anybody else in the world. And those are all things in my control. My work ethic and my consistency and my disciplines all in my control. So I think great pride in that. And then at the end of the day, God's always provided everything that I've needed at every level. He's always allowed me to be the height that I needed to be successful. He's always kept me safe. So at the end of the day, my faith is definitely gives me confidence.
Speaker 6: As you guys get ready for training camp, I believe starts at the end of July beginning of August, depending on the schedule there. But what are some things that you want to see, not only yourself, but maybe the offense, the team as a whole, work on that you want to improve, maybe from spring football, and just get ready for that first game against Hawaii.
Speaker 7: Yeah, just playing for each other, playing to the standard. We know what our standard is as a team, We know what our standard is offensively, and as long as we live live by that, as long as we buy into each other and play with each other, as long as we do our job, I believe we could play we could be anybody in the country. So that's that's the expectation. That's that's what we're expected to do. So that's what that's what goes Deggie, and that's what goes Rent and our.
Speaker 15: Stressing to us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no, fantastic, Thanks for being on and gudes to your parents. You know, I've been doing this a long time, like I said, and people always ask me, what's the difference between a jerk athlete and a non jerk athlete a good guy, And it's the parents and how they're raised and how they treat people. And that's obvious that your parents have done a great job with you.
Speaker 7: Thank you, And I talk about my dad a lot so I want to thank my mom too, because that's she. Nothing will be possible without her. Especially she's the one that controls my dad, my mom, my mom, and me and my brother's hero. She's helped us in so many ways. She's always the one that is behind the scenes, behind the camera, and when it's her time to shign, she she always tries to shed it to us. So, Mama, we love you, and you're you're ore, You're our y.
Speaker 6: Yeah to totally totally get it here, you appreciate it, Noah, be well, we'll see.
Speaker 2: You in uh in camp. Thank you.
Speaker 15: I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Take care from you A good good dude. You can just tell you good dude. I brought this up. I don't know if you were here, you probably may be listening to whatever. Uh and Jay and I, you know, agreed to disagree. And I said when he came in and filled in for for Stanford to me, to me, after covering all these camps for a long time, I said, God, these guys have a step that they didn't have with with Jayden right and he pulled off the win right and it says and Jay was like, that didn't happen. And then LaMotte Honey said they don't play harder. I guarantee you they were playing harder.
Speaker 6: I think they were playing harder to First of all, I don't think that they win that game without them exactly because he had the turnover bug that Jayden and Laura had at that time. And no, it was kind of a calming presence in that game. But I think we're really started to take shape where it was a realization of you can't switch, you can't go back. This is It was their loss at USC, the loss against Washington at home, they kind of kept it close and got it closer than it was at the very end. But on the road at USC, they they played them for five percent of that game. If it was in for a couple penalties on defense, a couple of missopportunities offensively, they probably would have won that game, and maybe a few coaching decisions in.
Speaker 2: That game too.
Speaker 6: But you left that game even with the loss, thinking, oh, I think Arizona found something and they see I think they're to be okay.
Speaker 3: Despite Fish and Fish saying that, well, we don't know yet, right yeah, started Yeah, and we all kind of knew who it was.
Speaker 2: I think at that point you're just trying to keep both sides sure. Do you never know when you'll need the other guy?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Okay, let's take a break, come back on the other side.
Speaker 2: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 8: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 2: Of course, to.
Speaker 16: Feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 9: What's your goal a new career or career advancement. How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make some day today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and finance and late available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot Edu slash Someday.
Speaker 17: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union. We believe less is more, Less peace, need more money in your pocket. Less hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids Less's More philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the two sund Spectrum Pyramid Federal Credit Union where Less is More Federally insured by NCUA, an Equal Opportunity lender.
Speaker 3: Hey Tucson, Steve vera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, they've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to save. Call them today and score big on your insurance with the Edmund Marcus All State Agency.
Speaker 2: You're always in good hands.
Speaker 3: Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call him at five two zero three two three nine three three three. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Loudolsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Lut, it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one, Email me at Steve dot Rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 18: Craving Tucson's Best Burger. The Fourth Avenue legend is back. Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years, and Lindy himself is back behind the grill. We've got new mouthwatering burgers and great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth anniversary, summer bash and year end celebration. So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are waiting.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera he's got his eye on the ball on Tucson Sports Station yet Fox Sports fourteen.
Speaker 3: fIF day, go back to what I had the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: I'm Steve Rivera. You're Detroit much just sen.
Speaker 6: From go he's the Cats dot call and you're ready from the ball. Edit the ball good way.
Speaker 2: Last time, Mono. I thought it was gonna say King Fisher after Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, end the ball. He's a regular now he's he's my guy. He's this show doesn't go without him. So I'll see you tomorrow. Uh, actually not tomorrow. Don't ask me at King Fisher.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have to go for a drink.
Speaker 19: Uh.
Speaker 3: Anybody want to call, please do five to two oh four, one, six, seventy four forty. You can call by the game yesterday, the weekend games. A chip is taking some heat, you know.
Speaker 2: Although I'm not sure how much heat you can take. I mean, they just kind of fell apart.
Speaker 6: I think the only thing you could really criticize in the last two games. You gotta have a quicker hook to pull out a pitcher. Don't let it get to a very tough situation. After a guy's what he was at ninety two pitches yesterday and then I think it was a single, and then another single. It's runners on third and first at ninety two. Pitch, Well, maybe you should have taken him out after the first base hit.
Speaker 3: This was so difficult because you have to second You can second guess yourself at any time. He was running pretty well, three to one, three to two lead. They just didn't score enough. It was just sometimes the baseball guys yep are against you. I mean, look, apples to apples. They should not have been there. They should not have been there. That error by the second basement in North Carolina got you there. Help you get there in reality that's true and not reality. You're there and you try to work some more magic than the magic handed. Yeah, it just happens that way. Come on, there was one. It was one of ninety seven and something I go to all the time. Who in the right mind would have thought they win the title? Okay, I get that argument because of the city that they were. But if Miles Simmons doesn't get suspended, where were they have been seen there? No, let's go there after this call? Okay, okay, hello, you're on the air and nine.
Speaker 20: On the ball.
Speaker 2: Who's this hey Vi Vic, what's going on?
Speaker 3: Any petitions to have anybody fired today?
Speaker 19: Ah? Man? I after that that Debaco yesterday, I Chip was on the list for a half hour, and.
Speaker 2: Then you calm down, took a little shot.
Speaker 19: Why just a little bit. I thought of you, and I got walked off the lid.
Speaker 2: So I thought you were going to jumped or something up.
Speaker 19: Yeah, after that, after that run, after that rundown, I was ready to Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know why they didn't run him back other than your back.
Speaker 19: Oh my god, yes, cardinal rule, right.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Chip admitute that.
Speaker 3: Chip admitted that there was some you know, some uh some bad fundamental plays and that was one of my mothers boy.
Speaker 7: And and I just my heart goes out to May.
Speaker 19: Say, God darn it. The careers they had and then they ended.
Speaker 7: Like that was was that was pretty tough man to take.
Speaker 19: But uh but no, I I still got them high on the list. They uh had a heck of a year. And uh, I guess I'm gonna go to the Morrow victory thing and say, you know, it's.
Speaker 7: I was just happy to be there.
Speaker 6: You.
Speaker 7: I don't know if I should I don't know if I should return the T shirt. It'll be delivered in a couple of days ago.
Speaker 2: So use it as a washclout. That's okay, you can wash, you wash your car.
Speaker 1: You go.
Speaker 19: But that was the heck of an interview you guys got. Damn see, I ain't lying, man, You've been doing great. I'm telling you, man, you're gonna turn into the Walter Crow kind of truth on sports radio.
Speaker 3: That was that was a Troy get for me. Uh with Noah. But it's been fun last week. It was a fantastic Greek.
Speaker 19: Of Oh my gosh, wasn't it?
Speaker 7: Man?
Speaker 19: And and I'm gonna tell you, I'm glad you got Troy on there because when DeLaura was starting, I used to see Troy and we scored our favorite little watering hole and I told him, Noah needs to start. Noah and this is way when he first came.
Speaker 2: So you know that, right, I know that, and I still hold that.
Speaker 7: You'll fight with me sometimes.
Speaker 6: Well, you were saying that Noah's freshman year. I just said Noah needs some seasoning, and he got that season in and you know, worked through some training camps and he was ready for the moment.
Speaker 3: So let me ask you, Vick, because you know the family, And you heard me talk about the parents, and I think I don't even know them. I've never spoken a word to them, but you could tell they raised a very good kid and probably more kids than that. What's the difference with him?
Speaker 19: It get and I've been around a lot of kids and this year and softball wise, I'll tell you I was around some of the other side of that that.
Speaker 7: Sense, and you could tell.
Speaker 2: And it's those I.
Speaker 19: Hope no one's listening, but it's those ones that only take pictures of their kid or video of their kid and get on the fence when their kid's hitting.
Speaker 7: Or whatever, and you're like, God, dang it, root.
Speaker 19: For the whole team. There's nine guys out there, you know, and you can just kind of tell. And and I'll just say, you know what, I'm a two son high guy, but I was at Micah Mountain for my cousin playing ball, and it's a group of parents that are all together. The kids don't know me. I'm just some fat guy that goes to see his cousin and they all come and hug me and shake my hand. I'm like, you got to do that. So you definitely can tell the difference the Noah's and the Lasses how they raise their kids and that's.
Speaker 15: The cool thing.
Speaker 2: Maybe they think your center.
Speaker 7: Yeah there, you're I better start stop wearing red.
Speaker 2: Huh No, No, thanks for thanks for the call. I totally agree with you.
Speaker 19: You got it, and I'm gonna try you, Steve, and then I'm not I'm lying because I've been taling everybody the past couple of weeks. Your show has been fantastic.
Speaker 2: Brother, Well, thank you appreciate it.
Speaker 19: Yes, and I and I'm gonna say real quick before I hang up. You know what, man, it's listening to you and Troy and Dave and some of the other guys Blake, it's like, uh, it's like being at the Wooden Nickel and talking sports with the guys.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, thank you. Nexton we'll play some darts.
Speaker 7: You guys have great Take care and stay cool.
Speaker 2: Out there, man, Thank you appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Around, play some pool, play some darts, shoot the breeze. Can use the word I want to use nothing better than that. Yeah you have you don't have anything like that that the King Fisher. No strictly eat food and watch some TV. There's no no regulars at the bar.
Speaker 2: Of Kingfisher.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, there are Yeah, what's the what's her names?
Speaker 2: They won't be coming back exactly. Anybody else want to call it, We'll get back to the night.
Speaker 3: Just please do five, six, seventy four, forty Oh we got another call. You're really keep your topic with you with that. Se Hello, you're on the air. Nine on the ball.
Speaker 2: Who's this.
Speaker 7: Hi?
Speaker 6: Steve?
Speaker 7: Hi?
Speaker 3: Troy?
Speaker 2: This is done than doing what's the word done?
Speaker 9: Hey?
Speaker 20: I agree with what you just said, Steve. Not that they shouldn't have been there, but they're pretty lucky to be in Omaha this week. And the thing is is they showed flashes during the season of being this good. I mean, they are this good. The only thing is is this season was a was a roller coaster, lots of up and ups and downs, not a lot of consistency. They played their butts off to get to Omaha. You know, after that Utah series and that first loss against Houston, they really started putting it together. But that was only going to go for so long.
Speaker 3: Well, isn't the last two games the microcosm of the season?
Speaker 6: Then?
Speaker 2: Even ups and downs within the game.
Speaker 20: Pretty much? I mean, because our starting pitching both games was great, you know. And I told you last week I was really concerned about Kremkowski and getting his start. And what did he go? He went six innings on on Friday. He would he was and he was dealing. And that's what we saw from him most of the season, even though his record was like two and two or two and three or whatever. You know, he got into, he got in. He got us into a good spot in the game in games to get to you know, into the bullpen. And you know, I think that on the whole, I think the program, I think gets in good hands with ship Pale. Here's what I want for Arizona because a lot of these podcasters, you know, the ones that don't bathe and stuff like that, they think that every every loss should be the end of that coaching regime. They think that, you know, And the thing is is, this is Arizona in the Power Conference. We're a mid major.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 20: We we do not have and I and I'm throwing the men's basketball program in this. We do not have a program that is in line to compete for a national championship.
Speaker 2: We do not.
Speaker 20: Until they do it, we don't. We're we're at that place.
Speaker 3: I don't distribute with you, Troy kind of you know, did hend In had? But okay, I totally disagree. You know what.
Speaker 2: You said? No you said, yeah, don't I agree?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I agree? Okay, go ahead.
Speaker 20: They well, because a lot of these podcasters, they think the basketball like, oh, you know, if Carter Bryant would have stayed, this is a legit top five team, And I don't agree with that until they get until they play that, you know, I don't. I've been here too long and I've seen it too much. What I want is good competitive programs that compete for the conference championship. I'm not saying I want five and five football teams. That's not what I'm saying. I want to be competing for the conference championship that we're in, and that every few years we have one of those great teams, We have one of those nineteen ninety eight teams that goes twelve and one, and they get in line and maybe and get into the playoffs, and now that it's expanded, maybe win a game and whatever. I've got no rose colored glasses that think that Arizona's going to compete for a national football championship.
Speaker 3: Okay, hold on, Hold on t Okay in that thought that he says, how many of the fans.
Speaker 2: Are disillusion about what sport? Well football, the one he's talking about. I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't think anybody thinks they're going to be competing for championships.
Speaker 3: Well I think I do think though, because he went into the Big twelve, they have a better chance, they have a better footing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean there's no USC, Washington, Corgan. You know that you're competing with, so there's less teams to get ahead of it in terms of consistency.
Speaker 2: Okay, no basketball, because you kind of win, you kind.
Speaker 6: Of win well basketball. It's a gauntlet of a conference. I mean you can name like six teams that have a legitimate shot of making a Final four each and every year in that conference.
Speaker 20: How many made the Final four though?
Speaker 6: No, I get that, but they also won a national championship not too long ago as a conference, and I get Arizona wasn't there, But it is a strong conference.
Speaker 2: You're not going to do it every single year.
Speaker 20: And I'm not I'm not saying it isn't and I'm not saying that Arizona is a less than program. But what all I'm saying is there's a lot of people out here and especially on socials and other you know, podcasters and types, that I think that Arizona in basketball is further along than they are. And then, like we talked a few weeks ago about the softball team, I want I want the softball team to be competitive for the conference and for them to every once in a while be in that national limelight where a lot of people think they belong and we just we're just not that type of school until until they get some sort of windfall and can start doing what Texas Tech seems to be doing right now because they're they're spending a ton of money and that's what it's going to take.
Speaker 3: We we gotta go, We gotta go. But let me say this's done. I don't know what you're drinking, but it's called being pragmatic. Drink some more of it. Well otherwise, you know, I can believe you're a good call today.
Speaker 2: What's up? That's good?
Speaker 20: Well, I'm always a good call. You just don't always agree with it. And you know, I just want I want Arizona to be competitive. I want Arizona to be in every game. I don't want I don't want anybody to say, good, we got we got Arizona this week, and that's across the board in any sport.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think that happens all if we're.
Speaker 20: In a good place for.
Speaker 2: That, Yeah, I don't think that happens.
Speaker 3: I totally agree with everything you just said, which makes me want to go to see my doctor tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you dog.
Speaker 20: No, no, you're fine.
Speaker 7: You're fine, he.
Speaker 2: Alight, take care. Don Thanks for the call. I appreciate it.