Speaker 1: Hello, and thanks for joining us here on Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. Well today we continue in our series called God's Prescription for a Healthy Life. In it, Pastor Rick will show you how to improve your health physically, spiritually, relationally, and emotionally by applying the five essentials needed.
Speaker 2: For a more vibrant life.
Speaker 1: If you want to have what it takes to live out your calling in life, stay with us for this amazing series. In just a few moments, we're going to tell you about Pastor Rick Warren's best selling book called The Daniel Plan. This amazing book will revolutionize the way you look at health, food, and friendships forever. You can find out more right now by going to Pastorick dot com while you listen to today's message, or you can just text the word daily to eight hundred, six hundred five thousand and four. That's Pastorick dot com, or the word daily to eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four. Right now, here's Pastor Rick with the final part of a message called God's Prescription for Health.
Speaker 3: Now, whatever your weakness is, you're going to probably struggle with it the rest of your life, and so you're going to need more than simply your own energy. You got to plug into God's power. That's the first reason we don't stick with it. Second reason we don't stick with it is the wrong motivation. When the goal is simply all about me, that's not enough.
Speaker 2: To keep most people going.
Speaker 3: You need something bigger than yourself to draw you out of yourself so you can be greater than yourself to get you out of bed in the morning.
Speaker 2: When the goal is all.
Speaker 3: About me, I can't tell you any diets I started on simply because I wanted to look good.
Speaker 2: Kind of hard to be better looking than this, but.
Speaker 3: Look good, feel good, and live longer. Now, there's nothing wrong with those. In fact, those are good goals. Those are legitimate good goals. But what we're talking about today is far deeper than this, the far more spiritual significance to being in shape and simply looking good and feeling good. There are other reasons for it, and we're looking at these six reasons right now. The appearance isn't big enough reason.
Speaker 2: You know why.
Speaker 3: I discovered that once I got to the size I wanted, I stopped caring, I stopped trying, I stopped doing willpower, and I'd go right back to my old habits and old ways, and pretty soon I'm just yo yoing back and forth. Anybody identifying with this, Yeah, okay, you know what I'm talking about. So when I've got the wrong motivation, when I'm just using willpowers, that of God's power, that's gonna think. Then The third one third reason why we don't stick with it is when I try to change on my own, it isn't going to happen. You were made for community. You're created for community. You've got to have group support. You've got to have a partner or a coach or a support. You've got to have accountability. You've got to have group It's why we insist thirty thousand people in this church are in small groups every week, five thousand small groups. Why because we know you're not going to make it on your own. You say, well, one of these days I'm going to change. If you could, you would, but you can't, So you won't. You need help. We're better together. You know, I have a trainer who I work out with, and I know it doesn't look like it, but I do. And you know what, if he didn't show up, I wouldn't show up. I need a partner. I need somebody who works with me, and when I try to change my own it doesn't work.
Speaker 2: You've got to have group support.
Speaker 3: That's why we insist on everybody in this church being in a small group. Okay, so God says I created your body. I expect you to manage your body. One day, I'm going to resurrect your body. In version two point zero, number four, the Bible teaches, my body is connected to the body of Christ. You've probably never heard this before, but the Bible says my body is connected to the body of Christ. It says this verse fifteen, Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ himself? Flee sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body. But he who sins sexually sins against his own body. That's why it's in a special class, because you're actually sinning against yourself, not just God. Number five. The fifth reason the Holy Spirit lives in my body. The Holy Spirit. God puts his spirit in my body. And that's verse nineteen. Do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have received from God. Now that means God takes up residence inside you. He puts his spirit in your spirit. So you are the temple of God today. God puts his spirit in you. You study history, God on earth has always had a dwelling place. First he dwelt in the Tabernacle that was designed according to the specifications he gave to Moses, and the Tabernacle was the dwelling place of God. And then later God gave to David the specifications for the Temple in Jerusalem, and God dwelled in the Temple in that building. Today he dwells in you. You are the Temple now. If you were out walking down the street one day and you saw a gang vandalizing a house of worship and they were breaking the windows of a synagogue or a church, and they were writing graffiti on a temple a house of worship, you would say that's not right. You should not be vandalizing a temple, and you would either try to stop them or you'd call the police. But you vandalize the temple all the time.
Speaker 4: You your body by what you put in it, by the way your sleep schedule, by not taking care of your body.
Speaker 3: You are vandalizing the Temple of God. When you don't take care of your body. Holy spirit livesn't number six. Jesus bought my body on the cross. That's one of the things he came to do. Look at this verse verse twenty. You are not your own You were bought at a price. Therefore, honor God with your body. Jesus bought your real estate. And what does that mean? If you want to know how valuable you are? You know, Kaylek's to watch this show anti road show. She loves that show. You know, A bird in the hands worth two in the bush.
Speaker 2: You know, you know you've seen that.
Speaker 3: Guy co commercial. Yeah, and she loves that show.
Speaker 2: They tell you.
Speaker 3: This is really worth and the person's always your actions saying.
Speaker 2: You got to be kidding me.
Speaker 3: Do you know how much you're worth? If you want to know how much you're worth, look the cross with arms outstretched and nail pierced hands. Jesus said, this is how much I love the world.
Speaker 2: Everybody.
Speaker 3: I don't care if your Buddhist, Baptist, Jewish, Mormon, Muslim, atheist.
Speaker 2: Or whatever.
Speaker 3: He said, this is how much I love you. I love you this much. I love you so much it hurts. I love you so much. I'd rather die than live without you. I came all away from heaven to do this for you. That's how value you are. Your body is priceless. Now, question if you owned a million dollar racehorse, would you feed that racehorse junk food?
Speaker 2: You'd be crazy to do it.
Speaker 3: But you put that stuff in you all the time. And you are priceless. And you are worth more than a million dollar race horse. And you are the temple of God. God created your body. Jesus died for your body. Spirit lives in your body. Your body is connected to the body of Christ. Your body's going to be resurrected and version two point zho someday, and you're expected to care for it in the meantime. Now, based on these six facts, can you see how caring for your body is more than just I'd like to look better. It is a spiritual discipline.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. Rick will be back in just a moment with the rest of today's lesson. If you've missed any part of today's teaching, you can listen online anytime at pastorick dot com. That's pastorick dot com.
Speaker 5: Thanks for joining us today for Pastor Rick's Daily Hope a short time back, God put it on Pastor Rick's heart to connect with the team of leading health experts to create the Daniel Plan. Meet Joel.
Speaker 6: I tried to lose weight, I tried to make the changes, and nothing seemed to work because it was all based.
Speaker 2: On my willpower.
Speaker 6: When I started with the program, I immediately noticed changes, mainly because I wanted to be healthy. I had the tools to eat properly, I understood exercise, and I had motivation. I saw that I could get healthy finally, that I can make the changes that I tried my whole life to make.
Speaker 5: More than one hundred and eighty thousand people are following the Daniel Plan to lose weight, increase their energy, and improve their relationships, all while growing closer to the Lord.
Speaker 6: With the Daniel Plan, I've lost seventy five pounds and I've reached what I think is my ideal weight where I feel healthy. In fact, I just recently competed in an Ironman triathlon competition that's one hundred and forty point six miles of racing. When I found the Daniel Plan and its principles, I was given the tools to finally make the changes.
Speaker 5: Let Pastor Rick send you a hardcover copy of his best selling book, The Daniel Plan today as his way of saying thanks for your financial gift to this listener supported ministry. Go to pastor Rigg dot com or call eight hundred six hundre five thousand and four right now. That's Pastor Rick dot com with two rs in the middle. Or call eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four and thanks for prayerfully considering giving to help support this ministry. Today is the last day to get this special offer and receive The Daniel Planned book. So act now and call one eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four or visit pastor Rick dot.
Speaker 1: Com once again, here's Pastor Rick.
Speaker 3: The Bible says in Deuteronomy thirty two, these instructions that God gives us are not mere words.
Speaker 2: They are your life.
Speaker 3: And by obeying them you will read this with me enjoy a long life in the land.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: If I stood up here today and said I have discovered a new pill that will give you a long life. This pill is guaranteed to extend your life, you'd pay big bucks for it. And if I do, in the Genzu knives and said, but wait only three payments of nineteen ninety five operators are standing by right now. You'd pay big bucks for any pill that would extend your life. You don't have to pay me a thing. It's all right here. There is promise after promise. You can do a Bible study of all the verses in their mini it says, if you do this, I will extend your life. If you do this, you will have a long life. It's all through the scriptures. By the way, ninety eight thousand Americans now are over one hundred years of age, so the likelihood is you're going to probably live longer than your parents. The question is what kind of quality of life you're going to have. I mean, you're gonna be sitting in a wheelchair drooling, or are you going to actually live your life like Moses did, where it says he was sharp as the day he was in full health the day he died.
Speaker 2: Proverbs chapter three, verses one to ten.
Speaker 3: It says this, keep my commands in your heart, says God, for they will what will they do prolong your life? They will prolong your life many years and bring you prosperity. And then he gives some of those commands. Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Don't lean on your own understanding in all your ways, acknowledge him. What's he saying there? He said, trust in me instead of worrying. Don't get stressed out. Live a tranquil life. Trust in me. Don't try to lean, and don't try to figure it all out. He will make straight your paths. He will make your path straight. That's integrity. Living a straight life of integrity. Don't be wise in your own eyes, that's humility. Fear the Lord and shun evil. This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones. Why the bones? Why is that important? Because the marrow is created than the bones. Honor the Lord with the first part of your wealth. That's generosity, the first fruits of all your crops, and then your barns will be filled to overflow. And notice in this passage he mentions tranquility, trust in God, integrity, pass straight, humility, don't be wise your own eyes, and generosity. Give the first part of your wealth away. If you live a life of tranquility, integrity, humility, and generosity, you are going to.
Speaker 2: Be in better health.
Speaker 3: There is a direct connection between your spiritual health and your physical health. So let me just wrap this up by giving you and I could give you a hundred of these from the word of God. Let me just give you four things that you need to do that will help you be healthier. Number one, Trusting God is good for your health. Trusting God is good for your health. Why because you don't worry. You're either going to worship or worry.
Speaker 2: In life, you're.
Speaker 3: Gonna pray or you're gonna panic. And if you pray, you won't panic. And if you worshiped, you'd have a whole lot less to worry about. You trust God, the Bible says in Someone sixteen seven, I said to myself, relax because the Lord takes care of you. Said, you know, just relax, the Lord will.
Speaker 2: Take care of you.
Speaker 3: That's trust in God. Proverbs fourteen thirty. A heart at peace gives life to the body.
Speaker 2: But envy what rots the bones.
Speaker 3: Gay everybody, look up here, friends, It's not just what you eat that matters, it's what eats you. You didn't have the best microbiotic you know, playing all around and eat fresh, healthy, organic improper portions. But if you're resentful against your dad, and envious against your friend, and bitter against your mom, and guilty against something you did yesterday. It's what he eating you. He is a oh man, she's a pain in the and that's why you got a pain in the.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: When you take resentment and bitterness into you, it's like a poison, it's like a fire. It'll burn you up on the inside. It's not just what you eat, it's what eats you. Never forget watching an old Columbo a long time ago, and Johnny Cash was the bad guy as a guest star. When he finally gets caught, he says, I'm so glad I got caught because the guilt was killing me.
Speaker 2: I can't tell you how many.
Speaker 3: Reports I've read of doctors said most people would leave the hospital today if they could get rid of guilt over what they've done and resentment over what others have done to them. There is an issue there that says trusting God and then getting rid of that stuff. And that leaves me to number two, Confessing my sin. Confessing my sin is good for your health. Now, you could talk to any psychologist who'll confirm that one. Now, when you cannot, you can't repress it, you can't suppress it. You need to express it to God, and you confess it to God. And you see, when I swallow my anger, my stomach keeps score. If you don't talk it out to God, you're going to take it out on your body. And so the Bible says this. David says in Psal, I'm thirty two. When I refuse to confess my sin, I was weak and miserable. It is impossible to feel guilty and happy at the same time. And I groaned all day long. My strength evaporated. That's why you're weak all the time. You're caring around a garbage bag of guilt. Finally, I confessed all my sins to you, and I stopped trying to hide them, and you forgave me, and all my guilt is gone. One of the healthiest things you can do is receive the forgiveness of God in your life and just throw away that garbage stack that you don't carry into the next decade. All the garbage of this decade don't carry All the resentment, fear, worry, guilt, legalism, jealousy and envy and all those other emotions don't carry him into the new decade. Trusting God's good for your health. Confessing my sin is good for your health. Number three, Giving generously is good for your health. It's good for your heart. Every time I give, my heart grows bigger. Every time I give, I break the grip of materialism in my life. People say, well, I'm not materialistic. Well let me see your checkbook. Tell me how you spend your money and spend your time. I'll tell you what's your priority. Is it all spent on you or are you giving it away?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: There are more promises in the Bible about giving and generosity than any other promise any other subject. Because God says, I want you to learn to be like me. And God is a giving God. He's generous. Everything you have is a gift from God. You wouldn't take your next breath if God didn't give it to you. Everything you have, the next beat of your heart is a gift from God. God everything you have. And so God says, I you know, like father, like son. I want my kids to be like me. I want you to learn to be generous. And every time you give generously, you give away instead of.
Speaker 2: Keeping and hoarding. You are healthier.
Speaker 3: It is not a mistake that the word miser and miserable come from the same word. Misers are miserables. There are only two kinds of people on life, takers and givers. Takers are always sad, they're always mad. Givers are glad. They're the people who give away. The Bible says in Proverbs eleven twenty five, a generous man will prosper. You want to prosper. A generous man will prosper. And he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed. Finally, number four, and I wish I had a lot of time to go in on this one.
Speaker 2: Having fun.
Speaker 3: Having fun, the Bible teaches, is good for your health. And I wish I could take you through all of these verses. The Bible teaches that life is to be enjoyed, not merely endured. The Bible tells us God created everything for our enjoyment. The Bible says in Proverbs seventeen twenty two, a cheerful heart. That's a positive attitude, a happy, fun, loving laughter, humorous, cheerful heart is good medicine. But a crushed spirit dries up the bones. He who laughs lasts. Now, let me tell you from personal experience. If you learn to laugh at yourself. You'll never run out of material. You'll always have lots of good stuff. It'll just keep coming. You'll never run out of stuff to laugh. Now, you need to put some fun in your life. Put play in every day. People say the family that prays together stays together. That's true, but also the family that plays together stays together.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: In John chapter five, Jesus is walking down the street and he sees this guy who's sitting on the side of the road who's been sick be eight years. He's paraplegic, and Jesus walks up to him and he asks one of the most important questions, and I want to ask it you this morning. He says, do you want to get well? That is a profound question. This guy's been sick thirty eight years. You'd think, well, of.
Speaker 2: Course he wants good.
Speaker 3: But Jesus, do you really want to get well? And that's my question to you. Where do you want to be a year from now health wise? Do you want to have the most energy, the sharpest mind, the brightest smile, the strongest body that.
Speaker 2: You've ever had. Do you really want to get well? Let's bow our heads.
Speaker 3: Father, you created our bodies, you sent Jesus to pay for our bodies. Then you sent your spirit to live in our bodies. Help us to never forget that our bodies belong to You, not us, and that they are connected to the body of Christ and one day they will be right resurrected.
Speaker 2: In version two point zero.
Speaker 3: Forgive us for all the times we've misused our bodies and abused our health, and we commit together to join in a journey of health, to follow God's health plan for your glory.
Speaker 2: In Jesus's name, Amen.
Speaker 1: This is Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. We are so glad you're with us today, and if you'd like to receive rix free daily devotional, go to Pastorick dot com and sign up right now. Rick will be back in just a moment to close out our time today. But first, God put it on Rick's heart to connect with a team of leading experts to create the Daniel Plan, a powerful Bible based program that has helped more than fifteen thousand people lose weight, increase their energy, and improve their relationships, all while growing closer to the Lord. Here's Pastor Rick to tell us more.
Speaker 3: You know, honestly, I never paid much attention to my health until I had a little epiphany a few years back when I baptized over eight hundred people in a single day by immersion. Now, looking at myself and everybody that I was baptizing, it was real clear that we all needed to get healthy. So I put together a team of nationally known doctors to help me develop a program for our church. I called it the Daniel Plan, based on the passage in the Book of Daniel where Daniel has a contest with King Nebeka Neezer on who can be the healthiest. The Daniel Plan is centered on five essentials that will help you become healthier. Faith, food, fitness, focus and friends. There are a lot of diet plans out there that deal with food and fitness, but the secret sauce in the Daniel Plant is focus. Learning to have your mind renewed, friends, learning to grow in community, and faith, trusting God's power than willpower.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: We found that when individuals addressed health issues in each of these key areas, they are transformed. In fact, in the first year of the Daniel Plan, over fifteen thousand people from one hundred and ninety countries participated and the results were life changing. In fact, our own church, Saddleback Church lost over a quarter of a million pounds in one year. Can you imagine that what did it do for our church? It increased our energy, We started sleeping better, It reduced our need for medication. The whole church was healthier now. The Daniel Plan has recently been released in a book format, and I want you to have a copy of this book today so you can start getting healthier now. And I'll send you a hardcover copy of the Daniel Plan book as a very special thank you for your gift to this ministry. When you give financially to support Daily Hope ministries, I want to send you this book. It's hot off the press called The Daniel Plan. You know that Daily Hope is a one hundred percent listener supported ministry. Thank you for your support. It allows me to continue to share these teachings with people who haven't heard the gospel and are hearing it some for the very first time.
Speaker 1: Call eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four to get this powerful resource, or you can visit pastorik dot com today again, that's eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four or pastorick dot com today is the last day to get this awesome study tool, So please contact us today be sure to join us again next time as we look into God's word for our daily hope. This program is sponsored by Pastor Rick's Daily Hope and your generous financial support.