Speaker 1: On this week's episode of Game Spot after Dark, we are joined by the freelancer extraordinaire Funky Joseph to talk about Mafia Definitive Edition, the Bethesda acquisition, and the state of next gen console pre orders. Hello and welcome to episode six zero of Game Spot After Dark. I'm your host Jake Decker, and joining me this week is Lucy James, Hi, Kelli Plaguey, Hello, and Funky Joseph.
Speaker 2: Howdy gamers, Thank you for joining us. Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 3: We're so excited to have you because you've done some reviews for us, some like cool content. Now we get to talk to you face to face while like it's sort of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, zoom to zoom. When I told CALLI, I like reached out to see if you wanted to be on, she was like, I have to be on that episode, please, I need to be on that episode. No.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess I've been Freeline for a couple of years now, and this month, I guess marks the one year I've been like doing stuff with Game Spot. Yeah, so that's super exciting. Thank you all for having me on. It's been a blast.
Speaker 3: Thank you for joining us.
Speaker 4: Seriously, your name is always on the icy like pop up all the time.
Speaker 3: But I've never really interacted with you because you're hilarious on Twitter, so I just get retweeted into my timeline constantly.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, Oh the blue site it is?
Speaker 3: It is?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I have such a bittersweet relationship with that website. It's so much like chaos and also some sometimes funny stuff.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that's the tagline of Twitter dot com.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gotta strike a balance. What that balance is, I have no clue. I don't think anyone truly knows, but right got to figure it out somehow. But anyway, we start this show off with what we've been playing. But since we've got a guest here, we're gonna start with the Chris from Dayton, Ohio segment. Not quite in sync, but it is pretty good. I think I think we can like to more here, you know, to spearhead it well.
Speaker 4: Also, if we had time here, he could provide the bass. Cally and I are.
Speaker 1: Very yeah, yeah, it's true.
Speaker 2: That's a really good theme song comes in like very smoothly at the end.
Speaker 3: It's an original composition, oh.
Speaker 1: Is it though? But anyway, this is the segment where you have an opportunity to introduce yourself. You can kind of tell us whatever you'd like, whether like your favorite games, games that you always returned to, how you got into this industry, what your favorite food is. I mean, you can tell us whatever whatever you'd like.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is this is awesome.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I've been freelancing in the industry for a couple of years now. Wow. Yeah, a couple of years. That's pretty cool. I'm still a student, but when I have free time, I love to like write and talk about games. They're very cool and silly, and I just feel like there's a lot to explore and dig into, like how they affect and reflect real life. And yeah, I just feel really lucky to be able to explore that. As like a job, I write features and stuff for places like IGN, Vice, Paced Games fan by PC gamer uh, And I do like streaming on Twitch. I do variety streams, play a lot of fun games with my friends. Yeah, okay, favorite games. Recently, I beat Control and that has been on my mind. It's like already one of my faves. I'm like, dang, this game is crazy. Yes, it is the hole aesthetic and I don't know, I just dig it. Mirror's Edge is also top notch. I love Parkour and I can't do it, so that is that is what I play. Yeah, roguelikes like narrative games, also fighting games. I'll beat anyone in Smash Bros. Big Challenge, Super Smash Brothers Ultimate is my game. I played Lucas and it's ice cold.
Speaker 3: Oh no, Lucas. You know Lucas, this guy.
Speaker 1: Everyone loves it when I play Lucas.
Speaker 2: They just love the PK Freeze.
Speaker 1: And then it's j yes it is so I was.
Speaker 2: It was Christmas and my cousin played Lucas one time and just like kept freezing me, and I was like, is this allowed? Like does Nintendo know this is in the game. So I just picked up the character too. He's a great little.
Speaker 1: Guy, I know, so good. I don't I don't get why people hate him so much. I think he's great. The whole p K Fire, PK Freeze combo is is great.
Speaker 3: No, and I'm just mad, but yeah. I I also started freelancing as a student, so that was really exciting when we picked you up as a freelancer Reviews because that's kind of how I got my start in the industry and I've really liked reading your features at other sites, so it's been awesome to work with you and also to have you on the show. I'm just very excited. I don't want to play smash with you, though, I think I would just get up, come on, we got.
Speaker 2: It is so much fun.
Speaker 3: I have no place talking about how annoying Lucas is when I played down be Kirby like I can't talk. I I it's not fair. But I still find Lucas so annoying.
Speaker 1: He is he is.
Speaker 2: No, but thank you so much. I really appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and what is your favorite food? I think that was a question, Jake. That's a new one we're.
Speaker 1: Talking about there. We used to have that whole list of questions remember that we'd go through, but it was too much to read.
Speaker 3: It was very long.
Speaker 2: My favorite food, okay, I gotta say, like a nice Montreal bago like cheese and better that's it. Maybe a bit of salmon on that.
Speaker 5: Yes, my roommate would approve.
Speaker 4: She is from Montreal, and nothing here, no bagels here to compare.
Speaker 2: Apparently they're built different. They just fundamentally are built different in Montreal. I don't know how they're doing.
Speaker 3: It, but I didn't know Montreal was known for its bagels. But somebody told me I think it was Mike Maharty, friend of the show, that the reason New York bagels are different from San Francisco bagels has something to do with the water. And I was like, it could just be Mike bullshitting me.
Speaker 1: Sounds like Mike bullshit.
Speaker 3: It might not be, so I just was like, that's a new factor that I know, and then I didn't google it.
Speaker 4: Well, that's the thing about Mike bullshit is that every so often he has a little truth in there yea, and which makes you can't even you can't trust him.
Speaker 1: He texted me they saying happy birthday, and I was like, immediately, I was like, what's this about. You know, it's like I'm doing a bit from the office, and I was like, Oh, it's your birthday. Happy birthday, Mike?
Speaker 3: Is it his birthday? Birthday? Oh no, I feel Mike Maharty, Wait, I bet you, I bet you.
Speaker 5: He texted me on that day, but just about something completely different.
Speaker 1: Oh no, Well, anyway, we should move on to what we've been playing. Lucy, do you want to start with this, because that's not a game that you have there.
Speaker 4: Well, it's because the prompt says what we've been playing or doing. And while I have been playing a bunch of Hades, which is fantastic, Cally, you and I've talked about it a little bit about just how attractive everyone is in that game.
Speaker 3: They're so pretty, is so hot in that game.
Speaker 2: It's ridiculous.
Speaker 5: It's also very very fun game.
Speaker 4: But I watched Console Wars yesterday and we won't be able to say this so much longer. A fine CBS property, But it's based on the book by Blake Harris, which I'm actually in the middle of reading, and it kind of follows the rise of Saga if you've never heard.
Speaker 5: Console follows the rise of Saga in the eighties.
Speaker 4: And early nineties, and is wild how many people they've got to appear on, like to be interviewed, like all of Nintendo's top marketing people, people from like Tom Kolinski himself from the Saga side, and like that. Watching it back now, it's like succession or something, just in terms of how they'll backstab each other. And you know, people go from Saga to Nintendo and vice versa, and the incredible moment at E three ninety five, when you know, like a guy who used to work at Sega went up and completely undercut Sega on stage because he then went to work for Sony, and like, yeah, it's oh, it's an incredible moment. So Saga announced that the Satura would be coming out now for three ninety nine, and then this guy who used to work for Sega now works for Sony went on stage to talk about the PlayStation one and he just goes two ninety nine and then left. What's the biggest mic job moment I've ever seen. It's on YouTube. I think it's called like the Price Heard around the world if you want to just watch the clip. But they have some incredible access. They have all of these, like they talked to the brand people who are behind the Sega stuff and like looking back at that.
Speaker 1: Again, absolutely not.
Speaker 3: You remind.
Speaker 4: But it's it's a really cool, really cool look at the kind of growth of you know, Sega, and then even just a little bit of look at the the hotspit on Sony even way back then.
Speaker 3: It's only nineteen minutes as well, which.
Speaker 4: I feel like it speeds through a lot, and it definitely I think assumes you have a lot of knowledge on Saga and Nintendo, like at least current Saga in Nintendo, or have some kind of background.
Speaker 2: But I think total of the doc is seventeen minutes. Oh ninety sorry, nineteen.
Speaker 4: Ninety, so it could I feel like it could have been a three part series just to give things a little bit more time to breathe.
Speaker 5: But they do. They get through so much. It's really cool, especially.
Speaker 3: For those of us who were children in the nineties who just remember being like, I want to play the Mario game.
Speaker 4: They have a lot of footage of kids opening Nintendo and Sega at Christmas, and there's one very very adorable one where it's a boy that just opens the present and he just goes it's a sorry PlayStation and then he just immediately bursts its tears and goes huggins it goes to hug his dad.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, so cute.
Speaker 3: But also it's like.
Speaker 4: One final thing on it. It's the you know how nowadays you get kind of like small digs between Sony and Microsoft. You know, Sony taking the piss with that video of how to share games, like Microsoft being cheeky with memes and stuff. Back then, the stuff that Sega would do to get one over on Nintendo was incredible.
Speaker 5: They would have these adverts just totally shitting on Nintendo.
Speaker 3: Sega does what Nintendo?
Speaker 4: Yeah, pretty much and like just like you know, there was one advert that I'd never even seen before. It was like other uses for a Nintendo game Boy and it was like putting it in the bin and like flattening meat with it.
Speaker 5: Incredible.
Speaker 1: Really sounds like succession.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's basically like succession.
Speaker 2: Just what made them stop like being so aggressive with the ads and like being so antagonistic.
Speaker 4: Do you think because Nintendo did it to them? Like, yeah, Nintendo totally swapped them locked around. They did to them and then Sony came around.
Speaker 5: But it's it's a really cool like and also I like just this.
Speaker 4: You know, we're at this point in time where we can have cool video game documentaries. I haven't seen the high school stuff on Netflix yet, but I did really enjoy that one for a few years ago about.
Speaker 5: The Atari landfill filled with et y goshes.
Speaker 3: That was really cool.
Speaker 1: So you have Console Wars nice Kelly, how about you?
Speaker 3: Well, we talked about it last time, so I won't talk about it in depth, but I have been playing Splunky too. I didn't play the original, and I'm really mad that I didn't because I've been enjoying it a lot and the music has been stuck in my head. So I just got this like cool, like like drum beat going in my brain at all times. So that's fun. And then I also finished my rewatch of Avatar last Airbender's very emotional.
Speaker 2: How's that?
Speaker 3: Oh my? I love it so much? Is my favorite show ever. Also, The Ember Island Players is the best recap episode of TV history. It's so good. And my mom has seen Legend of Cora. I have it, so my mom was like, we should watch Legend of Korra and I was like, I'm not emotionally there yet, Like I like, I am not ready for like half of these people to be dead. I need like a little bit. So that's where I'm at. And then you know me, I watched ninety Day Fiance.
Speaker 1: I have a good time play Animal Crossing. I do want to bring things back to Spelunky just quickly, because last week I did say that the online was in like a very bad state and it was really hard to do any online matches or any online game play at all, it seems like they fixed that now. Played some with Cali, I've played some with a few other people, and the online is much better now. So if you are interested in Spelunky too, and you listened to me last week said that the online was broken and you've been waiting, it seems like the kinks have been worked out now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a lot more stable. I also think like one of the cool things about it is that it's pretty balanced between like the difficulty level playing by yourself and with other people. Because if you're playing with somebody, if you die, you turn into a ghost, so you can kind of like help out. You have like a little an attack and you can aid the other player, which is handy. But when you're playing by yourself or when you're playing with somebody, like, you still have to manage like other aspects that make it tricky. So the ghost thing doesn't make it too easy. So it seems really really well balanced.
Speaker 5: It's hard.
Speaker 3: It's a hard game, Like, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know how many runs I've done, but I think I've only made it to like world three four is the furthes stuff gotten. I don't even know how many worlds there are. I think five maybe, but I don't know, but I'm excited to keep playing it. Okay, what do you think of Control?
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm I'm loving it. I don't know. I've played through it in a week after putting it off for over a year. I was like, oh my gosh, this is like game of the year. Then I was like, oh it came out last year.
Speaker 3: I forgot.
Speaker 2: I've just been so like in my like work loops and like not even notice. But yeah, there's something just about that office setting. It's like painted in this like haunting sci fi sheen. It's just like very creepy and like while you're exploring the whole building and you just like look up and then you'll see a body floating, just like suspended in mid air.
Speaker 1: And I was just like, whoa.
Speaker 2: This is like it maintains that intensity the whole time, even when you're just like walking to like some short objective. It's very very fun. And the way I don't know, it's like my favorite superhero game because the way it introduces your powers, it's just like I didn't even realize I was gonna be able to fly until give you the power, like what halfway through and I was just like, oh, like the whole level level design changes and you can just like float up high and use your telekinesis from the sky. It's just like solid game from fronts of back. It's very very cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then you have those like Metroid Venous style elements of like you realize like, oh that weird thing I saw, now I can actually do something with it because I have this new ability, and so you keep learning the oldest house and I think that's one of Control's strengths. What did you think of the checkpointing? Because I know that was like a big thing for people, and it didn't bother me too much. I was able to get through it okay. But it has a change now though it has changed a little bit hot, so you're going to have probably a smoother experience than we did at launch.
Speaker 2: Was there something wrong with it? I died so many times, and just like I thought I was going to be somewhere, I was like, well, I surely must be like past this point that I killed five hundred people at right, And then it put me like all the way back to the start. That happened a couple of times, but I trudged through it. I was streaming that too, is it was so sad, like being stuck out a point like that and going so far back.
Speaker 3: You're like, all right, crew, Lisa, run it back.
Speaker 2: Sorry I was lagging everyone. Yeah, did you play the DLC at all?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: But I looked at the trailer and I was like, oh, it seems very spooky, So I think.
Speaker 5: It's I preferred AWE too.
Speaker 4: I liked Foundation because Foundation had a new environment, but I found a lot of the puzzles, as in, like you have to you go into this big I don't even know how to describe it. There's a couple of puzzles and like a couple of areas that you have to navigate, and I was like, I'm just going to open a walkthrough because this is a bit much.
Speaker 1: I think I liked Foundation more.
Speaker 4: Actually, oh because a W is like all you know, Alan Wake stuff and the idea of remedy just like fully embracing this connected remedy versus just way more appealing to me. But also Foundation has two bugged trophies and they're the only trophies that I need.
Speaker 5: That's why I have resentment.
Speaker 3: I'm afraid to make. I got the platinum in the base game, and I like want to continue that street because I mean I was what I was going to ask you fromk is, like what was it like to read Did you read a lot of the lore on stream? Because like I got so into that and I chased all the trophies to get the lore.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I played that game like on and off stream. I was just like it was kind of like my my game that I could play outside of work. That wasn't like I wasn't writing anything on I was just like playing it for my own time. So when I was on stream, I would notice like the files that was getting were super interesting and the stuff that they redacted. I started like reading that and talking to a couple of NPCs, but then I realized the story actually goes like pretty deep. So I was like I don't really want to do this on stream, Like I will do this like on my off time. And yeah, there's so many collectibles that you can just like pick up and be like, oh, like so that's what this room is.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 2: I think a really funny part was like kind of like a little part in the plot where the guy's like looking at the fridge forever, like hey could like can you get someone to help me. I was like, oh, that's so weird, and that like prompted me to look up more of the collectiveles and me like what's going on here? And then figuring out more of it like the altered world objects and stuff. I was like, oh, this is this is exactly my shit, Like this is I love.
Speaker 1: The lure here.
Speaker 3: Have you played Alana?
Speaker 2: I have I played a chunk of it. I was like recording something with my friend, but the levels were off, so I just like I got upset and I quit the game. But it was super It was super cheesy and I loved like how much he wanted to find his wife and he was just like where is she?
Speaker 1: With the light?
Speaker 2: It was it was a fun one. How do they tie it to control in the dlc uh?
Speaker 3: Howse?
Speaker 4: I mean you should have seen bits of it in the Bass game as in like bright Foles being ah an awe like an altered world event. So just like where Jesse and her brother find the the object like the ordinary I think that's the town is like the ordinary dump site?
Speaker 5: How that is somehow connected to the oldest house.
Speaker 4: It's a very similar thing with Alan Wake And then I won't.
Speaker 5: Get into deep into spoilers, but obviously like.
Speaker 4: The fact that the guy who plays Alan Wake also plays doctor Darling, Like isn't even really that.
Speaker 3: Big of a connections.
Speaker 5: It's the whole.
Speaker 3: Thing is so meta's actor.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Matthew Peretta who like, ah, Casper Darling absolutely.
Speaker 3: Still in my heart. I love him.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it's it's really cool and like it's got me really wanted to play Alan Wake again because I haven't touched that game in.
Speaker 3: Ten years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was just gonna say I replayed it after playing Control the first time, and I think it still holds up pretty well, like kind of like what you were saying is it is cheesy, but it kind of works. And that whole thing because it's supposed to be, like, you know, he's like a pulp fiction writer and the story is just kind of like pulpy and a little absurd, but like it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: I remember everyone taking the purse because it was like, oh, he's an author, he must be about like Stephen King and I think Stephen King are the two first words that you hear in Control in Alan Wake.
Speaker 5: Sorry, like he's doing his voice over and he's like Stephen King once said.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's exactly how it starts. It's like a quote from Stephen King.
Speaker 2: I remember reading about that game in like an official Xbox magazine, like like here's the little demo to put in your three sixty or whatever like that. Yeah, that game looks very creepy from the hole aesthetic right from the start.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I definitely recommend finishing it or checking it out, cal especially if you know, it seems like Remedy is doing this whole connected universe thing with all their games, and it'd be interesting to see what they do next, because you know, Alan Wake two hopefully, but we'll see anyway. I've been playing Mafia Definitive Edition, which is a game that I want to love so much, but it's got a lot of.
Speaker 4: Problems because I was into that, Like I never played Mafia, but I was kind of getting hyped about.
Speaker 1: So, I mean, I think it's still pretty good, Like it's just not like the story and the characters in a lot of the writing I think is really good. The way it's structured I love. I don't know if you guys played Mafia three, but the way that game was structured was very different from the other Mafia games. What this one does is that it takes place in an open world, but there are different levels within that. So basically it kind of cuts out all of the driving around and going from one objective to the next, which is something that I really like and it's something that I hope games explor more, just because it really streamlines open world games and it solves that issue of like of like, Okay, I have this really pressing thing I have to do, but you know, first I'm just going to drive around and like and like I don't know, run over a couple of pigeons or shoot pigeons or whatever you do, and like GTA four, you know, well, it's a GTA four reference. You'd like your side thing would just be to shoot pigeons, which was really stupid and very Rockstar, I guess, very like two thousand and seven Rockstar whenever that came out. But it gets rid of a lot of that, which I think is great, and it really is able to put focus on the story, which is good. It is like it is like twenty short stories, like Mafia short stories that are all tied together through one I guess, one narrative thread of the main character speaking to a cop it. A lot of these little scenarios and short stories are pretty cliche, I would say, but I think the way it does it is like I don't know, you can really see like the references in the homage they pay to a lot of these great like gangster movies and stuff like that. So like that aspect is really cool, and a lot of those levels I think are a lot of fun. Some of them are kind of dumb, and particularly there's a race car one which was infamously broken in the original game that they have since fixed, which is nice. But like story wise, I think this game nails it. Like it sets the mood and setting too. The setting is great, Like it's like in this Chicago esque city and it like you'll be driving around, you'll drive through a tunnel and you'll be listening to the radio, but the radio cut out when you're in the tunnel. Nice, or the frequency will change like you know and with FM radios and whatnot. Yeah, exactly, it's really cool. Or you'll be driving around all of a sudden they'll be like like a speech from Herbert Hoover will come on the radio, and it just it's so good at setting that stage and that setting in place, Like all of that is great, but the combat is like it's like so simple, not even simple, like simple is not necessarily bad. It's just like so boring, and it doesn't even really fit with the story, right because the story, especially now that the game looks so much better and it's trying to tell this like serious story. But then it's like a very PS two game play moment where it's like, okay, you made it through there. Now you got to beat up all these guys who are who are talking to your to your future wife or whatever, and then there's like this you just fight, like you're just like getting like a brawl with sixteen guys out of nowhere, or like you'll be walking through an area and it'll be like, all right, now, all these mobsters are here with guns because we need to have a we need to have a gun fight here, and it just feels so unnecessary, Like you can tell it's really like trapped and those I don't know when that game come out two thousand and two or whatever, so like that side of it really doesn't work, but like the story is still really good and it's not that long. I think it took me around eight hours eight and a half hours to finish.
Speaker 3: It's the same with our reviewer. I think those nine hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I mean, like I don't know. It's also forty dollars, which is something that I know our reviews don't typically touch on. So you know, if you're kind of on the fence about this game, but that price entices you, I mean, I think it's worth it. I've been having a lot of fun with it. That said, I do find it very frustrating because it seems so close to being like a great game, but it just it misses the mark because like the gameplay is just stuck in the past.
Speaker 3: And this is very Jake's feelings are very close to our review, which you can now read on game Spot, so go check that out. There's like details and screenshots and you can see it looks really good, Like the game looks modern. I think that's like the dissonance, right, Like it looks really modern, and then there's these like very antiquated systems that get in the way because I mean you're playing it, you're like expecting it to be one way and you're like, oh, I forgot this game's old. Yeah, like is old. For a little while.
Speaker 1: The best moments in that game, for sure, are just like when you're driving around at night in the rain and like the neon is reflecting off the puddles on the ground, and especially like I was playing on PC with like a twenty eighty TI, so there's ray tracing, and it looks I think there's ray tracing. Even if it's not there, it looks really good. And like I was saying, like you'll be driving around in the rain and there'll be a radio broadcast that'll come on that'll be like you know, in like the old nineteen thirties voice, like if you're driving around right now, you gotta head home, Like yeah, exactly, like that sort of thing, and like those moments are so cool, Like it just it does such a good job of putting you in that time and place until it's like, all right, here's here's sixty Mafia dudes with submachine guns. Now you got to kill them a hole and it's like it's like all right, like right, okay, yeah, like like it makes sense for a game, but it's like it's trying to take itself seriously. Like there's a scene where you mow down all of these all of these dudes and you get to the last guy who's like the story guy, and the main character is like having regrets about it, and he's like, oh, I I shouldn't do this, Like I feel bad about this, Like you just killed all of his friends, Like why do you care? Like we're way past that point. Dude doesn't say, here's the word. I wasn't gonna say it, but I'm glad someone is. But anyway, with that, let's move on to topics for the week, and we're back. The first big story we have here is that Xbox buys Xenomax, Bethesda Studios, all of that.
Speaker 3: What.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's big. We're a couple of days late.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: This happened Monday, but we record Wednesday, goes up Friday, so we're probably the last people to talk about this in this industry, but what the hell, we'll talk about it anyway. Uh. The main thing I guess to take away is that it was a seven point five billion dollar deal, which is absurd. Hey, Doctor Evil billion? Uh Death Loop and Ghost where Tokyo will still come to PS five first because that was an exclusivity deal that they had struck before. But after that, Big Phil is in charge, Thank you please, correct name. I'm sure we're going to use it a lot.
Speaker 2: Wait.
Speaker 4: Did you see there was a Major Nelson Big Phil Pete Heines and Todd Howard podcast. I did, and there was a moment in it where Pete Heines says he's talking about his dogs and he says they're big Phil fans. And I know he's saying they are big fans of Phil, but in my head canon, it's he's using the name Big Phil. And I feel like that's something that Game Spot should be proud of because we've put that out into the world.
Speaker 1: That was such an interesting interview because like Phil or Todd and uh, Pete like didn't seem ready for any of the questions the I.
Speaker 4: I clipped it out and I put it I tweeted out. But the way that Major Nelson zoomed in on Todd's face and went Starfield, what's up?
Speaker 1: Yeah, just like he like cut to him beforehand, and it was like Starfield and Todd was like, I forget. He said something along the lines like I can't believe there's this much hype for a game that no one's seen anything about. A reply, so good God, Howard.
Speaker 4: A lot of.
Speaker 3: People on Twitter were analyzing the from that interview, analyzing everyone's bookshelves to see if there's interesting.
Speaker 5: Todd's got a lot of Indiana Jones.
Speaker 3: Todd's got a lot of stuff. And and Big Phil has I think he had a series ss.
Speaker 5: Well, that's his wife's office.
Speaker 4: That was the big revelation for me was that that's not even Phil's office.
Speaker 5: Doesn't happen, Uh, I don't know.
Speaker 1: But anyway, like a battle toad chair.
Speaker 2: Joanna do, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I couldn't. I couldn't remember John a doc's name.
Speaker 2: Have you Sorry this is completely unrelated, but have you guys seen Ready Player one? Yes, there's battle Toads in that. I just watched it. They're just walking around. They're quite quite a movie on a film.
Speaker 4: I thought it was fine.
Speaker 5: I quite enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: I had a nice time.
Speaker 5: They made a lot of really good changes because the book is but.
Speaker 1: I listened to the audio book when I worked at like a warehouse, and I remember thinking it was terrible.
Speaker 4: It's it's Spielberg like just fun ship.
Speaker 3: I just I want everyone to know I did this last week with the jar darp Binks lollipop. I'm going to share another horrible thing with you all. Ernest Klein, the author of Ready Player of one, wrote something it's like a poem I think called nerd porn on tour and if you want to read it, it is the worst thing I've ever read in my life. So it's a poem about how he's a sapiosexual, about how he wants a woman who likes nerd things and not big titty. So Lucy's currently reading it.
Speaker 4: Sorry before you buy Already Play one tickets, read Ernest Klein's horrifying porn poetry. Shout out to post for that.
Speaker 5: It's I can't read this.
Speaker 2: This guy get away with this, so.
Speaker 5: I can read this. This is safe.
Speaker 4: First I want to copy her track homework, and then I want to make my passionate love to her for hours out until she reluctantly asks if we can stop because she doesn't want to miss Pell's.
Speaker 2: Talk like.
Speaker 1: A real human string those words together and formed a sentence.
Speaker 3: So I'm just saying the movie Ready Player one may not be so bad, but Ernest Klein, that was a good sentence.
Speaker 2: This is I don't even know.
Speaker 3: You're welcome. And if you haven't listened to last week's episode, googled jar Jar Binks Lollipop.
Speaker 2: I listened and I googled, and that was disgusting. I don't like how it really just goes out like that.
Speaker 3: Really, it's a lot.
Speaker 4: If you're an intelligent woman who's interested in breaking into the adult film industry, and if you can tell me the name of Luke Skywalker's.
Speaker 5: Home planet, then you are hired.
Speaker 3: That's basic knowledge. That's a big bank theory. Shit. I've amazed.
Speaker 5: The last line of this is not like Bizinger.
Speaker 3: Geezus.
Speaker 4: I mean, there was a lot of stuff in this poem that I cannot read aloud. But oh, he has a collection of poetry called The Importance of Being Earnest, which is a fun play on his name.
Speaker 3: That is Yeah, that's cute.
Speaker 4: Forty seven people have paid eleven dollars sixty per cents for this on Amazon.
Speaker 3: Six nice. So that's my contribution to the podcast. Shall we get back to the news, Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So we're going to do this a little bit differently. Earlier this week I put out on the discord I asked people to send in questions about this acquisition, about Xbox, about pre orders, about the console war, what it might be. So we're kind of going to tie these questions into the topic section. Right now, we won't be doing our normal listener question segment, but don't worry, that'll come back. We'll do that again. I just really wanted to talk about the Xbox stuff because it's pretty big. But the first question here is from Robert Jay and it's Kelly, why don't you read this?
Speaker 3: But the acquisition of Bethesda. Will this mean the end of the short lived Bethesda Launcher and moving their IP over to the Microsoft Store. Do you believe they will still hold their own press conferences and events or merge with Xbox.
Speaker 1: I hope they merge with Xbox. I hope they do.
Speaker 5: I think they'll merge.
Speaker 1: The first thing I thought of when this happened, I like woke up, saw the news and I was like, it's one less press conference to cover an E three.
Speaker 5: I will still have quite con Oh yeah, sure, yeah.
Speaker 4: I think they still have their own song abration, but I think press conference wise makes sense to merge the Xbox.
Speaker 3: You're already thinking about next year's E three. It's hard to let me go in The Bethesda launcher is interesting. I don't play a lot of Pothesta games on PC. I guess they played Skyrim on PC, but yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: They gave away a free game, right, one of the Elder Scrolls on that thing, I think, so remember they.
Speaker 1: Had to promote.
Speaker 2: That's the only reason I downloaded it. I think, oh launcher, yeah, but yeah, I don't know. I feel like, yeah, they would just move to the Microsoft Store and game pass.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Going forward, I feel like they'll probably kill it because even before this happened, they they put Fall at seventy six somewhat recently on Steam because originally it was like the Bethesda launcher only deal, but they switched that.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: And I don't even think you need the Bethest launcher to play Elder Scrolls online. I think it's got its own separate launcher, which makes sense for an MMO. So I I I feel like they'll just you know, I feel like they'll just retire that thing. I think.
Speaker 4: I think as well, just like a Bethesda section of the Xbox what's it even called, like the Xbox app on PC.
Speaker 1: I think that's what game story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh, so I have Xbox Console Companion h and then you just have like the Xbox App for Windows ten oh, which is replacing the console companion. Yeah, I feel like it's.
Speaker 2: Just going on app is still the game pass right, Like that's all the same.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So, like I'm looking at it right now, it's there's a there's.
Speaker 3: A lot of apps, and so I'm hoping that the Bethesda one goes away so we can keep it, because like you also have like and the Origin launcher, like like if you're on the Origins going away, right, Origin, I think is going away? But yeah, they're like if you play games on PC, like a million launchers, So it'd be nice to have one least one fewer.
Speaker 1: Is Origin going away? Are they just changing the name to play?
Speaker 2: Oh? Sh yeah?
Speaker 5: But then but then e a play is a part of game pass now.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so.
Speaker 3: That's so anyway, I guess my answer is I don't know, but I hope they get rid of the Bethesda one just so we can stay sane.
Speaker 1: Yepe Yeah, definitely. Next questions from great Fox here, Lucy, do you want to read this one eye?
Speaker 4: Much like Minecraft, Microsoft allowed Out the World Vibsidian to be released multi platform. Do you guys expect Microsoft will follow the same logic with the upcoming games from Bethesda? Would it make more sense to keep a big selling game like Elder Scroll six in the Xbox ecosystem only. Also, here's an insane thought, Starfield becomes halof I have. I I know, like we've been talking about the on Generation Next, which is up today if you want to watch it. We obviously cover the bethesa stuff in detail. But like, I feel like Microsoft would be stupid to hold everything to be exclusive, because if they're putting everything on game Pass day one, that's great. They have all the people who are subscribed to game Pass. They might have people who are buying on Xbox who don't have game Pass, but then if you have all the money from people buying on other platforms too, then that's just extra money in their pocket.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I guess it depends like what they think the best strategy is for maximizing profit, like do like because a lot of these companies sell consoles at a loss, and like like Sony will sell PlayStation consoles at a loss and then bank on the like the first party exclusives to like recoup those losses. So it I mean, it depends on like what Microsoft's angle is with that. But you also have like Microsoft being much more willing to do like PC, like it's compatible with perceiving because it's Microsoft.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I think as well Phil, and Big Phil has been saying like, you shouldn't be tied to where you want to play a game, like he seems to be all up for talking about you know, they were the ones who wanted cross platform play. They it was always Sony who were the ones who didn't want that. The question I'm more interested in is like, will we ever see any Bethesda games on PlayStation Plus? Developers get a hefty chunk of change just for being on PlayStation Plus, as I assume they do for being on Game Pass, So I would be interested to see if anything like that would ever happen again. But I fully anticipate either timed console exclusives if stuff is going to be on Game Past Day one, But I don't think they would. I don't think they would pull them from Sony completely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: When Big Phil said that he wanted to have you wanted to have other games available on a case by case basis to other consoles, I thought that was like super shady to say as an exact I was like, oh my gosh, Like it just felt like Microsoft realized that they lost the exclusive war and they're just like going straight for the jugular with like going and acquiring like all these studios and like getting the upper hand, just like not not going for the exclusives, just being like, let's just see who makes the games and get them all under our control. Which is nice because that means I guess more people are gonna be able to play more games for less because it's gonna be on game Pass and easily available. But like it also makes me word because I don't want Microsoft to like have such like a monopoly in the industry, because like that can get negative very quickly. Like I was scrolling through Disney Plus the other day watching that sar Raven and I was just like scrolling, like damn, Like Disney has a lot of movies, and I just like realize they have everything, and I was just like felt so uncomfortable realizing like one company owning so many different ip and different like sub companies that are making content. Is I thought that I just don't really like and I feel like that'll stunt creativity and also just I don't know, prevent weirdness and the stuff that I don't know. Video games excel at doing and being absurd.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's such a good point. Like the consolidation of media is definitely a concern. I mean, America is basically just four large companies that own every company.
Speaker 5: That's terrifying. By the way, if you look at that flow child, it's terriorialized. It was quite so pronounced.
Speaker 3: It's it's really there's there's really just like four corporations. So I do think like the consolidation of media properties is something to be wary of, at least I think in this case, like there are positives. Like you said with game Pass, it seems like this is like a good collaborative opportunity for them. But I mean it's the Netflix model, like you stream this, you pay subscription fee rather than an individual fee for the content, and then you make up like that benefits Xbox in the long run because there are people who are going to be paying the subscription fee and then maybe not like they wouldn't be buying those games otherwise. And you know, there's a lot of benefits to it for Xbox and for Microsoft. But I agree with you that it's kind of a lot. It's a lot of like consolidation is a little a little intimidating. Well.
Speaker 1: I think something to consider too is that because of Game Passed, at least not all of these developers are necessarily barred to what like the market wants, what they think the market wants, right, Like, That's one thing with Sony Games that I feel like you can kind of criticize a little bit is that a lot of their games do follow that same formula that Last of Us kind of set back in the day, like these single player focused like Over the Shoulder games where you've got a companion and it's like heavily story focused, which are great. Those are my favorite games. But I but they do that because those sell really well, and they have to do that because they sell really well. Right While with Game Pass, they don't necessarily need to make games that sell well because Microsoft isn't trying to sell these games, right, They're not trying to like get Bethesda to make games that sell a lot. They just want Bethesta to make games to populate Game Pass and to like increase that value. So that it's something that does excite me about this. It like it gives me hope that things like like Dishonored or Pray or games that don't particularly sell that well, but I personally love that are critically like incredibly well received, but never sell that well because like immersive sims just aren't that interesting to most folks out there. But because of this, at least the hope is that Bethesda won't need to be concerned with these games selling a lot, and they can just make these games and Microsoft can be like, hey, it's there on Game Pass day one. You can play it if you're interested. If not, there's a bunch of other games you can check out. But it also just like puts those games in more people's hands too, write like like, I think the ability for people to play games like Dishonored or Prey are like, for like a very small entry fee is pretty good because you know, you go to a store, right or your average gamer goes to the store and it's like, all right, well, I'm gonna get a Call of Duty game because I know Call of Duty is good and games are expensive and games are getting more expensive. But with this, it kind of like, I feel like more of these games that people missed will get played.
Speaker 4: Todd was saying, Yeah, that's what Todd said in the interview with Major Nelson. He was like yeah, like this is something could hopefully just increase creativity because no one's worried about like minimum amounts of units to push and all that kind of stuff and sales expectations. So one thing I will say as well is like I don't think they will. They've made a really clever play because if these games do come out on Sony platforms, all of the marketing is still going to have Xbox slapped all over it.
Speaker 1: So and they're gonna be seventy dollars too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's like everything is gonna be like it's gonna be unconscious that, like you see on every Bethsday game.
Speaker 5: You're gonna see Xbox, Xbox, Xbox.
Speaker 4: You assume that Xbox is the best place to play it, regardless if you have a PlayStation or not.
Speaker 5: Like, such a clever employ from them, totally, such a good.
Speaker 1: And like like that's like a Fogie Bear who listens to the show responded to me one of my tweets and was like saying, I think the play here is that with the price of games going up, like maybe there's a time to exclusivity, and then they release it on Sony for seventy dollars and people see that, like, man, games are seventy dollars now, or I could get an Xbox subscribe to game Pass and just play all this stuff not for free, but for considerably cheaper. So I think that like kind of markets itself a little bit, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and new factor in like the series S is such an affordable option, which is like super compatible with game Pass too, because you know, you can go totally discless. I mean yeah, Like, I think there's there's criticisms and benefits to the approach for sure, And I'm excited because, like I currently don't have a game Pass subscription because my Xbox is like ancient and creaky and like not ancient. It's an Xbox one X. But like I mean no, no, not a one X, It's just a regular one. I See. The thing is I.
Speaker 1: Really strike to original Xbox one.
Speaker 3: Original Xbox One. But I am really excited about getting into game Pass and trying that out. I mean, it's really great for our jobs, rights because we have a lot of games that we want to try, and you know, people who are passionate about games, like we go into Game of the Year and you want to have tried a lot of the games that people are discussing and so that I mean for us, it's like a benefit in that way, but also it's just a benefit if you're like, you know what, this looks sort of interesting. I'm going to try it and see if I like it. I think that's like a huge draw of game Pass and a really good play on their part. So I'm hoping that the results in more creativity, Like that's the best case scenario, and I think it very well could.
Speaker 2: It's funny because recently online it feels like people are realizing that games writers have to pay for things like consoles and games like I don't know, are just these so to people be like, you guys are paying for this, Yeah, yeah we are. But yeah, the game Pass has helped me stay up to date as like a freelancer, so often, like with classics and with new titles for a fraction of what I would have had to pay before, like Crusader Kings three Tell me why, just like straight up Launch done that And those are two like big games that I probably would have skipped out on if they weren't just available to me with the pass. And also, yeah it does Jake, as you're saying earlier, like highlights some of the games that people wouldn't have seen otherwise. Like I remember playing like Scorge Bringer. I don't know if you guys have tried that one, and Blazing Chrome, like just two indies on there, like so fine. I was just surprised, Like I coicked the randomize like just like pick a random game for me option on the game Pass, and he's just like popped up and I was like, Oh, this looks cool.
Speaker 3: That's super cool.
Speaker 2: It is great, and like, I don't know, I feel like I've always wanted that feature on Steam or something like when I look at my library, I'm like, I don't even know what I want to play. Just tell me what to play, and I clicked the randomized button.
Speaker 1: But moving on. Next question is from Jacob McCourt. He says, following gray Fox's question, what's your dream mashup that can now happen because of bees the acquisition? I e. Fallout New Vegas Too by Obsidian, which was something that kind of went viral on Twitter. Someone tweeted at Obsidian saying like, does this mean Fallout New Vegas Too? And they responded with that like little shrug the little text dude, or whatever.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm talking about, right slash shrug in.
Speaker 3: Backslash or forward slash shrug.
Speaker 1: Yes, sure, yeah, that one.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's like the obvious one. I'm having a hard time thinking of anything else that's like now possible, except.
Speaker 2: Like master Chief and.
Speaker 1: Send him down.
Speaker 3: The money to make Disconded three. That's all I want. Uh.
Speaker 4: Any kind of mash up between like Xbox and I mean New Vegas two is a good one.
Speaker 3: Master Chief in Elder Scrolls.
Speaker 4: I wonder if it would be any kind of fable Elder Scrolls, like there would be references.
Speaker 5: Maybe that would be quite cool.
Speaker 1: How about forts a horse drawn carriage sport. It would just be like Skyrim, Like that's my idea, and it starts out every time with the waking up in the back of the car awake.
Speaker 2: You were crossing the border, right, that could be very good.
Speaker 3: I'm into I mean that they'll put Skyrim on and in anything, so you know, it's not totally out of the question.
Speaker 5: Have they said if it's coming to series acts or not.
Speaker 2: They can't keep announcing that game like if it's on.
Speaker 5: Game Pass, and I guess it technically.
Speaker 1: Is didn't like a leak. Didn't it like an enhanced version leak or something like that. I wouldn't be surprised if they do something.
Speaker 2: There's already a special edition now.
Speaker 1: The Special Skyri Elder Strolls five, Skyrim the Special Enhanced.
Speaker 2: Edition even more water shaders put them off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wouldn't rule it out.
Speaker 1: No, Yeah, I don't know. Overall though, I think I'm kind of with Lucy. I'm more just like excited to see or hoping to see, like Dishonored three, prey to things that may have not really been a thing because they weren't huge financial successes. Get like a second chance or third chance.
Speaker 3: Dishonored.
Speaker 2: I never played those games.
Speaker 3: Up game Pass.
Speaker 4: They are fantastic, but they're on game Pass right now. I think they or at least they will be coming.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean.
Speaker 3: App my brother's been replaying. My brother like replays games a lot, and he's been doing Dishonored and I was like, that's cold. You do like a no kill run? He was like, oh I did a no kill ghost run. Yeah, Like you don't. You don't kill anyone and you don't get detected at all.
Speaker 1: Just walking around.
Speaker 3: My brother is like really, really hardcore and really good at video games, and so I'm like he's I'm like, oh, is that really hard? He's like cool, Okay, cool. I guess I'll play it and be Frustrated's try two is on game Pass?
Speaker 1: Oh okay.
Speaker 2: I'm just excited for more Wolfenstein, Like that's one of my favorite Bethesda ips, and I'm like, you just try anything else, Like young Blood is very cool, So I'd like them to try like more weird spin offs with Billy.
Speaker 3: I'm really banking on this because they've confirmed that like this New Wolfenstein isn't going to be a trilogy, and so I'm like, well, the next game inevitably we're going to be killing Hitler, and I am just really excited.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Yeah, let's.
Speaker 3: Go right Okay.
Speaker 1: To go hand in hand with that, the Xbox pre orders were also a big story. They were supposed to be a little bit more planned than the Sony ones or the PlayStation five ones, which I guess they were, but I don't know. I found them just as confusing and frustrating. Uh what did what did you guys think? Like Lucy, I know you were trying to prove it or both correct, Like which one did you find easier?
Speaker 5: I found, so I managed to get a.
Speaker 4: Like both one of each PlayStation, and one of them I think I'm giving to well Kurt's going to buy from me because he didn't manage to get one, and I got a Series X.
Speaker 3: Series X.
Speaker 4: Was I would say, I think Series X took longer, but that was because the websites were running really really slowly, and there was one point where Amazon didn't go live. So of the three that I bought my disc PlayStation, five I got from Amazon easiest one because I had tweet notifications turned on for Warrio and as soon as he said, okay, it's live on Amazon, I just went in and bought it.
Speaker 2: Good account, amazing account.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's so good.
Speaker 4: And then and Series X is probably the next easiest because I just went Microsoft Store because Amazon weren't live when they were supposed to be, so I just.
Speaker 5: Went Microsoft Store and it was fine. It just like the website ran really really really slowly.
Speaker 4: But overall it took me about twenty minutes to get one. And then the other one that I got from Walmart. The digital version was annoying because Walmart, just like the website, totally shit the bed so yeah, I I'm aware that I was very, very lucky with my pre orders. A lot of people did not have the same success. But also at the same time, looking at nvidious stuff right now, it's just been a big couple of weeks and a lot of people are being disappointed by that. We just need to figure out, like I know, unprecedented times, but there has to.
Speaker 5: Be a bit so there has to be a better way.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't manage to get anything. Oh really, I couldn't get anything. I tried Target first. So for the series X, I got up at seven forty five am, which is not a time that I'm usually awake, because I fell asleep at like three or four am against my own will. And yeah, so I was like I had gotten like four hours or sleep. I'm like, okay, I gotta just do this. And I was like trying to, like really trying to focus. And so I'm like on Target's website. And the thing with Target was you would put it in your cart, and so I successfully got one in my cart, and then Target was like you need an account, and I was like okay, shit, So like I made account weird and then at every subsequent time it, which disappeared from my cart. Then I tried the Microsoft Store, the button wouldn't work. I tried Amazon, it wasn't live. So I kept refreshing and I was waiting for Warrio's tweet about Amazon being live. But the thing that Amazon did really poorly, which Matt Paget, our tech commerce editor, pointed on Twitter, Amazon, if you searched Xbox Series X, you were served in Xbox one X, like that was the result that came up. So it was really frustrating because I was like trying to get to the Series X landing page, which like Microsoft had their own page with all the details, and it just wouldn't It just didn't work, and Amazon just kept giving me. It gave me a one X and PS fours. So Amazon like really screwed up on getting people to go to the correct thing. And I know that there was like a story about one X sales going up during the pre order period on Amazon, and people were kind of saying like it might have been bots that weren't programmed correctly buying one x's instead of Series x's, but it also could have just been people getting served the wrong thing. So that was frustrating and so I just after an hour, I gave up and I was like, well, this is the thing I need for my job, but I'll just hope that somebody else got enough pre orders. And then it turns out that Chris Perera I got like four of every.
Speaker 4: Like we called Chris, we call him the meme collector, but I think he's just like a general collector of he just had.
Speaker 5: He's incredibly scale at getting pre orders.
Speaker 3: And apparently, yeah.
Speaker 1: I had no luck. I managed to get a PS five just because someone tweeted like, hey, they're back up on Target, and I was like okay, and then I like just clicked on the link and ordered one. No problem at all. Series X though I woke up early, had like had my had my best Buy page open, had my Target, Microsoft had everything open. Every single one failed me. I was right there too. Like with Target, I'd get it in the cart and then I'd hit check out and be like there's nothing here, and I'd be like there is something there, uh, and the Microsoft store just wouldn't load like I'd gone to like pre order and it would just give me a five h three error or whatever.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Best Buy kept saying coming soon because Microsoft didn't mention that like they're kind of staggered, so they weren't just all going to be at eight am somewhere later. So I think at nine the best Buy one went life and I saw it go from coming soon to available for pre order, clicked it, put it in my thing, went to check out, and and then I got a thing saying we've removed this item from your cart because we didn't have any And I was like, are you like? I literally watched it, like, how could anyone have been faster than me?
Speaker 2: They took it from your card?
Speaker 5: I know, Yeah, what's let me let me what's the Microsoft store? Is it just saying well sold out now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's saying all sold out. Now. I've been checking throughout the day. I should probably just get notifications for Warrior sixty four's tweets. And that goes back up ID.
Speaker 3: That the Walmart site doesn't work, considering like the richest family ever, like, couldn't for a better website. But I didn't even.
Speaker 1: Try Walmart because I'm like, fuck Walmart.
Speaker 3: Now, I was like, fuck y'all. I tried Amazon for some reason, but I like, you know, I pick and choose for some reason, but I just hate Walmart, so I don't even try.
Speaker 1: Uh, but I did manage to get a series SU once again. Khalif Adams, friend of the show, tweeted, like you can get a series S still, uh. So I was like okay on the Xbox store. So I went to the Xbox store. It took about five or six tries, and then finally it was like your orders on the way. So I have a Series S coming, but I don't think i'll keep it because I've wont an X and I have a PC, so I don't. Yeah, I don't know, I don't I don't know. I don't know what to do with it.
Speaker 3: This is very much like I mean when when the Switch launched, like a lot of people had pre orders, and then like with pre order multiple and then like at least for game Spot just be like, oh, I'll sell you the second one I pre ordered, and that's how I got my Switch. So I bought it off of somebody. And I think that's going to end up being the case for me with the Series X and the PS five is probably just getting it off the master of pre order in Chris Perreira.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Switch was scarier though, because it was scary not scary, but it was more like worrying because Nintendo doesn't like to like Nintendo kind of limits the stock just to create that demand, like that artificial demand, which.
Speaker 5: Is a great point in consolable.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna watch that after Yeah.
Speaker 1: But I feel like I feel like xboxes will probably be available when they could. Maybe not right when they launched, but I bet if you give it like a week or two, a couple of weeks, you'll probably be able to pick one up. At least. I think that's what happened with the Xbox one X. Maybe it didn't. Maybe maybe.
Speaker 5: Are writing history makes feel better.
Speaker 1: We do have another question here from Jacob McCourt. How would you solve the pre order problem hunger games but for pre orders. I was thinking about this even before the question was submitted, so I told it because I was like, yeah, we should talk about this. Do you guys have any ideas?
Speaker 5: Hmmm.
Speaker 4: I feel like certainly they should maybe do a bit more market research and try and get a better idea about how many people want. I think, like I saw game Stop, we're doing like lines which didn't.
Speaker 3: Work for me, which works for concert tickets but apparently not xboxes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know, maybe pre polling people giving out. I don't making sure that real people in the bots.
Speaker 2: I feel like there's just too many bots though, like right now, Like I don't see a way that sites could like fight against that really, Like people are so good at scamming and flipping these consoles, like from day one, I don't know, let me look at ebit.
Speaker 3: How did you manage to get or were you trying to get either?
Speaker 2: Oh? No, I was playing Super Mario Sunshine. I yeah, I have a PC right now, and for what I'm doing, I feel like I'm fine playing most of my games on PC right now.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of money to like to put on hold, like to put a thousand dollars if we're going to get both of them, just like okay, that thousand dollars is no longer available to me is a lot for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially too, like when you consider it, like the only game that you won't really be able to play is Demon Souls, like across all of because that one is a PS five exclusive like everything and and well god Falls not launched though, is it god Fall launch? I don't think it is, is it not?
Speaker 2: I think I remember seeing Miles Morales and Demon Souls.
Speaker 1: Miles Morales is for PS four two.
Speaker 2: Oh what, I'm chilling absolutely.
Speaker 1: And like obviously all the Xbox games can be played on whatever you want, so like I feel like, right now, the only real reason is if you really want to play Demon Souls, which I do, it looks too scared for me.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: There's a couple like there's the there's a pack in for PS five which is Astro's Playroom. There's like sac Boy, a big event sack Boys Adventure.
Speaker 1: Which is also for PS four two.
Speaker 4: I think pretty Godful Godfuol just says, oh no, Godful is November twelfth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh it is, okay.
Speaker 3: See, I was like really scared for a moment because I'm, you know, being the reviews editor. I'm like the person who's looking at this list trying to be like, okay, who are my who are my people who can review this? And I was like if Godfaul isn't a launch title, and I've been planning around Godfall, I'm going to die. Yeah, I you know, thinking about going back to the question, thinking about like concert tickets, for example, back when we in the days where we could go to concerts and we were in the office when the MCR tickets went up for them.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, that was that was stressful.
Speaker 3: There were like ten people in the game spot office, like on Ticketmaster, and we were all in our phones because Ticketmaster is blocked in the game Spot office and wow, yeah, it's pretty pretty strict stuff with that. So we were like on our phones, like I'm in the line to buy my Chemical Governmance tickets. How many should I get? Like what section am I looking at? And like you're in a queue and the thing is the sounds like game Stuff tried to do that, but then like it didn't work, and like I thought the point of pre ordering or pre ordering console was to tell the manufacturer essentially how many people wanted to buy.
Speaker 1: So it's I think initially yeah, but now because like these pre orders are opening up two months before they come out, it's like.
Speaker 5: When did I mean, like when did pace full preorders open?
Speaker 1: And Xbox One I feel like much earlier? Maybe not.
Speaker 4: But also if you really want to depress yourself, go look on eBay for Xbox Series.
Speaker 3: X did when did PS four pre order open? I don't remember because at the time I wasn't full time at a site, so I didn't. I wasn't like I need to get this day one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't get it feels so weird, this uh new generation coming out. I'm like, what, my PS four is still here working like it feels so quick. I don't know. I worked at ev Games during the Switches launch and that was hell because like so many such a limited supply, so many angry people, and I felt like just in the core of a console launch. But right now I feel so removed. I guess just coronavirus and like being trapped inside and not I guess, not really having to buy it for work at least right now, it seems interesting to like, I don't know, take a step back and like just look at everything, and I don't know, scrambling for consoles seems so stressful, like like being on that site, especially when it's a part of your job, like being like please refresh.
Speaker 4: So PS four preorders in twenty thirteen went live on June.
Speaker 3: Tenth, okay.
Speaker 4: In the end of November, Xbox one preorder why thirteen was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, June tenth, okay. So we're working with a very different situation, which.
Speaker 1: Doesn't Mater Shorter timeline.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I guess maybe to answer it was Jacob McCort. Yeah, wholesome Jacob's question. It seems like it's less of a solving this problem and a more of a problem was created by the situation, and maybe there wasn't a lot to work with. Because that's some book. I think.
Speaker 1: I will say, like Target, Walmart, all that you got a lot of money, fix your sites, like yeah, come on, like, just tell me I'm not gonna get it, like, oh out of stock, cool, that's fine. Don't keep putting it in my fucking cart and telling me I have it until I go check out and you're like no, not there, Like, just just make it clear, please, Like I don't, like, I don't want to spend an hour and a half on your website trying to get a box, Like tell me right away.
Speaker 3: Cut your own salary and put it into website development.
Speaker 2: Yes, and give everyone who Retzburg games free consoles?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 2: Got love?
Speaker 3: God? Yeah? Look, god? Do you guys remember the Wii though, when the we launched and it was like there was a run on every store. I think my dad drove like three hours to go buy it. WHOA shout out to Dad? Though shout out to my dad. My dad did work like two hours from our house, so I think it was like a round trip deal. But that was like a classic Nintendo like one per customer and there's only ten in the store.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, some shit. Well anyway, that's been episode sixty of GameSpot after Dark. Thank you so much for joining me, and thank you all for listening. If you have any questions, please email us. Email us at after Dark podcast at GameSpot dot com. Like I said, we didn't really do a listener question section this week, but that will come back next week. We just wanted to talk more about the Xbox acquisition, pre orders and whatnot. But with that said, Kelly, where can people find you on Twitter?
Speaker 3: You can find me on Twitter at inky dog go I n K y d O j I kk oh. Yes, I want to change it. No, I don't know what I would do. I you know, as usual, I'm just managing all the reviews that go up on the website, So if you want to support that, go ahead and look at those reviews. We review a lot of games here, a lot of indie games too, so really running the damnut obviously. Recent ones include Mafia, Definitive edition you'll see like Hades. If you haven't read our Hades review, it's fantastic. Definitely check that one out. And we have video versions of a lot of the reviews as well, coordinated by Jake.
Speaker 1: Lucy. How about you.
Speaker 4: I'm on Twitter at Lucy James Games and Generation Next.
Speaker 5: This week we're calling it the Week that Changed Xbox because it's been a pretty huge week.
Speaker 4: So doing that and then yeah, pre planning, pre planning, a lot of planning, a lot of dashboards, a little writing, but it's good.
Speaker 2: And how about you funk Yeah, you can find me on Twitter and twitch at funk A fly f U n k E f l Y. Yeah, I'm working on a couple of cool articles in videos. I'm trying out some stuff soon, so check out check out for those, Yeah, and also check out the reviews section. Callie is such a good editor, and Jake, I didn't even know that you were the one editing my video reviews of the past some of them, yeah, a couple of but that's that's very cool to Mitchell over voice and talk about games. Thanks for having me, of course, thank you for joining.
Speaker 1: And then for me, you can find me at Jacob Deck and then this week is the Mafia review. I cut that, so check that out. And then also cyberpunk coverage doesn't stop, never stops. Saturday we got another video about gangs, and the following week we have another video about the districts of Night City. I'm not working on either of those. It's Jean Luke on the gangs and Jess on the districts, so that's why I didn't know exactly what they were, but they are going to be very good. Just make sure to check those out. And yeah, that's it. See see y'all next week. Shout out to Big Phil.
Speaker 2: Thanks later gamers, Think Phil. If you're listening, we love you.
Speaker 3: Col S Young