Speaker 1: You're listening to an airwave media podcast. I know what I saw? How many times have you heard that before? In this special edition of Monster Talk, we're going to take a look at the tools we used to recall everything from encounters with ghosts, monsters, or aliens recalling what you had for breakfast three days ago. We all use the same tools, perception and memory, but we're all being constantly told that our perception and memory are fantastic. Yet it simply isn't.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: None of us are video recorders and none of us are unbiased reporters. What follows is a compilation of interviews with memory researcher Elizabeth Loftus and perception researcher Richard Wiseman. Listen and you'll learn how perilous and frail are the tools and materials that we use to build our fortresses of certitude. This is a Monster Talk special Seeing is believing monsterutal.
Speaker 3: When I think about some of the things that people believe that I know aren't really true based on the science and the scientific literature that is the body of the field of memory. I know that many people believe that memory works like a videotape recorder, and you record it and play it back. That's not true. Many people think that the cross racial identification situation, where you have a stranger of one race trying to identify a person of another race whom they've only seen briefly, we know from the science people make more mistakes, but not everybody who's judging eyewitness testimony understands that, and that may be one of the reasons why we have so many mistaken identifications that are cross racial. Many people believe that if somebody says I'm absolutely sure, that they're almost certainly right, but in fact, confidence is not a particularly great predictor of accurate. So those are just a few examples.
Speaker 4: I guess when it comes to perception, this myth, which I'm in certain where it's grown up, this myth that our heads like film cameras or video cameras and we're perceiving pretty much all of the world all of the time, and then we're somehow storing that in our heads. I mean, it's just complete madness. It would just require the brain the size.
Speaker 2: Of a planet in order to be able to do that. It just doesn't make any sense at all.
Speaker 4: And so if visual illusions tell us anything, is that we cut corners all of the time, which is a perfectly sensible thing to do. We make assumptions about what's important in the world, and we focus our attention on those events and don't look at the surroundings. When it comes to memory, we remember what we think was important and we let the uninformation drop away very rapidly.
Speaker 2: And most of the time those mechanisms serve us very well. Indeed, they allow us to be as brilliant as we actually are.
Speaker 4: Some of the time, under very special circumstances and obsic illusions one of us ccumstances, and magic tructure another, we get it very badly wrong. So what those things show us is that our brain is not like a video recorder. In fact, we're taking shortcuts all the time.
Speaker 3: So many people believe that many memory, especially memory for a traumatic event, works like a videotape recorder, that you see this horrific event and it's imprinted in the mind, and you'll hear people say things like, you know, I was so scared, I'll never forget that phase as long as I live. But in fact, memory for these frightening experiences can often be impaired inaccurate, especially especially in a lot of the little details.
Speaker 4: I think all sorts of experiments demonstrate a fallibility of vision. I mean, basically, any opt collusion does that. More recently, you've seen experiments into what's called change blindness, which is where you show people some kind of fairly complex scene and they watch it, and what they don't realize is that, you know, the clothing that people are wearing in that scenees changing, maybe the actors to be changing, and people simply aren't noticing those sorts of things. And so a while ago I made the color change in cart Trick, when ninety five percent of the visual feeld changes throughout the film strip, and now people just don't notice that. So those sorts of studies, which have only really been happening in the last maybe five ten years or so, are really starting to show us just how much of our world is acts constructed by our brains rather than us kind of looking very actively at what's going on around us.
Speaker 3: When witnesses testify in a courtroom before a jury or a judge, they can be very influential. Eyewitness testimony, as a matter of fact, is the major cause of wrongful conviction. To what happens is eyewitnesses are testifying, people are believing them because they're sincere and they believe in what they're saying. But even when they're completely inaccurate, and somebody innocent is being accused of a crime and ultimately convicted. It's because eyewitness testimony is so persuasive, especially when it's delivered with a lot of confidence and a lot of detail and even emotion.
Speaker 2: Beliefs affect our vision and our memory massively.
Speaker 4: So really, what we're doing is focusing on what we believe to be important, and that's a very.
Speaker 2: Sensible way forward.
Speaker 4: The problem is that some of the times what we think is important is actually not particularly important. So if you take a magic tricks, for example, the narrative of the trick will tell you what seems to be important any one particular time. So if the card is selected and the magician says, you know, look at your card that the important point then is what's on the face of that card, and you look at that moment, that allows the magician to do certain secret things because you're focusing your attention elsewhere because the narrative are told that's an important piece of information.
Speaker 2: You're not looking at his or her hands, and that allows them to get away from sleight of hand.
Speaker 4: If you believe in the paranormal and that somebody's doing some kind of psychic demonstration such as oh, I don't know bending metal, for example, you might not look very hard until something surprising seems to happen. When the psyche says, okay, I'm concentrating now, suddenly you focus your attention. You see the key bending. Well, actually, your belief in the paranormal there is tripping you up. What you need to do and not a big good observer is to be looking very closely before that moment, for your belief tells you there's nothing going on, it's not important.
Speaker 2: So I believe their bias is trippers up all the time.
Speaker 3: Well, people often ask me how reliable is eyewitness testimony, And the real answer is it completely depends on the conditions. So obviously, if you have very good lighting and you see something clearly and you're tested, your memory is tested. After a very short period of time, we can often trust our memories. But the problem comes in when the factors are weighing against accurate testimonies. So it's dark you didn't get a very good look in the first place. A long period of time passes, you're trying to answer questions about something that's really now pretty vague in your memory. Maybe you're trying to identify somebody that you saw. Maybe it's a crime situation and you're trying to identify the perpetrator of the crime. Maybe you've got a cross racial identification situation going where a member of one race is trying to identify a stranger of a different race. These are all factors that cause eyewitness testimony to become inaccurate.
Speaker 4: When it comes to human memories, it's very similar to observation. What we're doing is not really just pressing rewind and play, but rather we're reconstructing the past. So there's been lots of studies showing that the way in which you frame a particular piece of action can very heavily swear your memory of it. So, for example, you can show people a film of somebody looking around a house, and then you say to people, Okay, that film was taken by a burglar, someone who's going to come back and steal things from the house. Can you tell us what you saw and people will recall where the television set was, and you know, the security system on the door and all of that. They can take another group of people, show them the same film and say, this is made by some house buyers looking around.
Speaker 2: Can you tell us what you saw?
Speaker 4: And they'll remember, you know, the size of the rooms, and the deckre and so on, so both of them seeing exactly the same thing. But then the way in which you frame it after the event has happened biases their perception and recall that tape so very very important ways which memory can be swayed.
Speaker 3: One other things that I've noticed in my research observations in actual court cases is that we do rely on eyewitness testimony a lot. We listen to somebody give an account about the past, and especially if it given in a very confident manner, and especially if the person is showing some emotion as they tell the story, we tend to believe it. It sounds believable, and we tend to believe it because we are not thinking of the scientific fact that even memories that are fault can be delivered with a great deal of confidence and detail and emotion.
Speaker 4: Whenever we are in a situation where something anomalous, something weird, something we're not really used to observing actually happens, you have to remember that all sorts of factors come into play.
Speaker 2: One is normally stress, two is a surprise.
Speaker 4: Three is you don't know quite how to frame what you've just seen, and all of those things will disrupt your observation. And so you know, if you go along and you get to a seance and objects move, and you're in darkness and it's an emotionally charged atmosphere, then you're probably not going to be able to remember what actually happened.
Speaker 2: Exactly. The same is true of skeptics.
Speaker 4: Might go along to a genuine salance if such a thing actually happened and source some genuine phenomena. Again, their memory of that may not be very good. They may remember trickery that didn't actually take place. So it is a double edged sword. There's certainly under circumstances where we're not used to observing that there's no reason to think would be particularly accurate. Stress and distraction player a big role in observation when we become stressed. Attentional spotlight focuses right in because you know, you really do want to focus your attention on what's going on inside of the bushes if you hear a rustling there, because that's where the tiger is, or possibly where the tiger is, and that's where you really want to focus your attention and sort out what's going on.
Speaker 2: So when we become anxious, when we become.
Speaker 4: Stressed, that in spotlights, that becomes very narrow and we don't see what's going on around us. With distraction, it's slightly different. That tends to be a bottom up, as psychologists would refer to it process, and there are certain things built into our visual system that says, look, if something suddenly flashes or makes a loud noise, or suddenly moves, then focus all your attention there because that thing is the most thing, that's most important. And so you become distracted, and again you don't see what's going on elsewhere. So the illusion created by our eyes and brain is that we're pretty good observers. We're constantly looking around and and so on. The reality is we're focusing our attention in a very small place, and so because of that, we can miss big things that are happening right around us.
Speaker 3: I think it is a good idea that we try to educate the public wherever we can to have accurate notions about how memory works. So when they're deciding cases or when they're say law enforcement investigating cases, they too have a kind of healthy skepticism about human memory. And that's what I and other psychological scientists have been trying to do to provide that education, either through our writings or speaking to media, or speaking out when when a particular newsworthy court cases is in the news, or testifying as expert witnesses during trials. We are trying to educate people about the science of memory.
Speaker 4: As biases beliefs affect our vision and our memory massively. So really what we're doing is focusing on what we believe to be important, and that's a very sensible way forward. The problem is that some of the times what we think is important is actually not particularly important.
Speaker 2: So if you take a.
Speaker 4: Magic tricks, for example, the narrative of the trick will tell you what seems to be important any one particular time, so they can't is selected, and the magician says, you.
Speaker 2: Know, look at your card.
Speaker 4: That the important point then is what's on the face of that card, and you look at that moment that allows the magician to do certain secret things because you're focusing your attention elsewhere because the narrative have told you that's an important piece of information. You're not looking at his or her hands, and that allows them to get away from sleights of hand. So those sorts of beliefs are very important in terms of wider beliefs. If you believe in the paranormal and that somebody's doing some kind of psychic demonstration such as I don't know bending metal, for example, you might not look very hard until something surprising.
Speaker 2: Seems to happen.
Speaker 4: When the psyche says, okay, I'm concentrating now, suddenly.
Speaker 2: You focus your attention. You see the key bending.
Speaker 4: Well, actually, your belief in the paranormal there is tripping you up. What you need to do and not a biggerd observer is to be looking very closely.
Speaker 2: Before that moment.
Speaker 4: But your belief tells you there's nothing going on, it's not important.
Speaker 2: So our beliefs their bias. This trippers up all the time.
Speaker 3: I've been studying eyewitness testimony now for more than a quarter of a century, and as a scientist who has seen just how wrong eyewitnesses can be, both in my studies and also in some of the actual court cases that I work on, I'm I'm more skeptical when I when I hear somebody talk about the past, I'm I'm somebody who who often says, you know, I wonder if that. I wonder if that's really accurate. I wonder what's going on here. I wonder if there's another reason why this person is saying what they're saying, other than the events really unfolded that way. So I guess that I do have a kind of healthy skepticism about human.
Speaker 2: Memory in terms of perception and memory.
Speaker 4: What you have to remember is that when you a trip took on one of these obstacles to do usions or in sensual blindness or change blindness or whatever, it's a very very special set of circumstances that's been constructed to trip you up.
Speaker 2: Ninety Nine percent of the time, you're brilliant. You're brilliant observing.
Speaker 4: What's right in front of you, and actually you're pretty good at remembering what happened as well. But once in a while, and particularly the case when you're up against a fake psyche or a magician, someone there who is really there to trip you up, all of those biases, instead of working in your favor, work against you. So most of the time people shouldn't be concerned about this stuff. You know, they get through life fairly. Yeah, well it's only once in a while they'll get tripped up, and you shouldn't sort of overgeneralize those examples to everyday life.
Speaker 1: Mobstert This has been a Monster Talk special episode, Seeing is Believing. You heard interviews with doctors Elizabeth Loftus and Richard Wiseman. Check out the show notes at munster talk dot org from more information at least to their work. Coming soon, We're going to have our very first some Monster Talk live Google hangout. I've got some amazing guests lined up for that. Follow me on Twitter at doctor Atlantis or on Facebook in the monster Talk group to get more information and the time for that event. The results should be available as a future episode of monster Talk if the recording works properly. Monster Talk is an official podcast of Skeptic Magazine. The opinion is expressed on this show, or those are the guests and the host do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Skeptic Magazine or the Skeptic Society. Monster Talk theme music is by Peachtealing Monkeys. Additional music in this episode by Joy Fahrenbachiu's by permission. Thank you for listening.
Speaker 5: Did you know that you can now subscribe to Skeptic Magazine digitally? Just grab our free Skeptic Magazine app, currently compatible with iOS, Android, PC, mac, Kindlefire, Kindlefire HD, and BlackBerry Playbook. Head over to skeptic dot com slash Magazine slash app to find out more and download more of your favorite Skeptic content