Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine hileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property, and for this week of September thirtieth, we are discussing season four, episode six of Only Murders in the Building. It was called blow Up, and the amount of handheld camera footage was oh, is it giving you family enough to make my brain and blow up? But I persevered it wasn't as bad as the pilot of Lost. I will say that.
Speaker 1: But I didn't think about that though. There was quite a bit of shaky cam yeah, but well knowing when it was like the planted cameras.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly in Oliver's refrigerator. Yes, this was all very I mean, they should have called this one adaptation because it was all like what's real, what's fake, what's being filmed, what's a documentary, what's a what's fictional, what's who found footage? Yes, they called it the Blair Witch Project.
Speaker 1: Yes, I appreciate the gimmick of it. It was fun. It made me think of the of the episode from season one that was all from the point of view of the deaf character, and that was an unhappy comparison for this episode because that was yes, and this one that was like something I hadn't seen before, and this was like, I see it all right. But still it was a nice a novel twist, and I give them points for that. It got us not really very much further, but never although we now have a second victim and various other theories, and the fact that everything has been filmed, so theoretically was something filmed when Saz was killed. I don't know when when did whoever the mystery person, but the cameras in the rooms, and we also have the mystery of does Loretta just like maybe have the stomach flew or everybody else who answered her phone. It did sort of sound like stream going though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know that's not the real final story there.
Speaker 1: That is No, that is not was not intended as an answer to his question. I do not believe whether it was another person or whether she was just in distress for some other reason, right, bad shellfish.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 1: Very happy to see an actor from my olden days done. I remember you, even under all that gray hair man, You're not that much older than me. Could maybe a little hair and eye something come on. But it was fun to see him and then to realize who he was, and maybe I have to go back and watch that scene again. But so we did get some scenes after that, and it's like, yeah, yep, I see him under there.
Speaker 2: I see him, Yep, I see him.
Speaker 1: I remember you, remember you decomposing all through the American Werewolf in London. I remember you. You were fun. But as we noted, interestingly, I AMDB aiding and abetting the mystery of who he was by not giving him a character.
Speaker 2: Decline to give him a name, and.
Speaker 1: At least I can see the producers doing that. How do we feel about IMDb the authority on who's playing what along with it? Well, I wonder if it will get filled in now that it's dropped.
Speaker 2: I don't know, because I remember we talked a little bit about this when we were talking about loss. Like if you if you want to know who somebody is and then you accidentally stray your eyes slightly to the right and the column that says how many episodes they've been, you find stuff out and like I remember in the second Knives Out movie, glass Onion, Yeah, one of the many characters if you looked up the actor and you got two names, Oh okay.
Speaker 1: And so yeah, that's not good.
Speaker 2: Was a big spoiler, you know, based on what.
Speaker 1: The Yeah, it may depend on whether how important dudentof winds up being as to whether they want to but we've seen.
Speaker 2: Did we see Well, they've all said that he that they've all said that that's who he is. But you know, he perhaps has some secondary identity that is going to be important.
Speaker 1: I guess in this show. No, everything's always straightforward. There's never any there's never any twists, no, not at all. No, no no extra bodies in the incinerator halfway through the season. Nope, Well who knew that spare body parts were such a potent way to identify the deceased?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And also like how it took them one second of having that box open to realize that there were two shoulder joints? Should there like did not the detective look at this at all?
Speaker 1: One would think? And I would expect the detectives to be much more eager to dig through the ashes and look at things than these folks, right, put it back in the box?
Speaker 2: Yes, but of course, And also, like you know, the detective said, well, I thought she'd be better with you than on an evidence stones that. Yeah, Like, isn't it still evidence they haven't solved this yet?
Speaker 1: Yes? And also are you allowed to just like take a cab away from the scene of a crime like they did? Right?
Speaker 2: I don't think they took a cab. I think they took Charles's car.
Speaker 1: Yes, but at any rate, at any rate, should they not have stuck around to talk to the police since theoretically somebody might have been shooting at them?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Oh, well, fortunately the police know where they live, and we'll just stop by in person to give divine joy. Randolph a little screen time, Yes, which is funny with me. Yes, I have no objection. She is very fun and her her attitude towards them is more and more my attitude towards It's fine.
Speaker 2: Indeed, it's just hard to talk about this because you know, every episode is just you know, you just know that nothing really pertinent is going to be resolved that's revealed until the very end, you know, and the way that they suddenly decide, well, it wasn't the sisters, well, wasn't it. I mean they're pretty weird, they're pretty well just like with everybody, you know. They're like, oh, well then they couldn't have done it. Well, yeah they could have.
Speaker 1: So yeah, they're just running through suspects here, so it either has to be somebody we've dismissed or somebody from out of the blue. Right, we haven't seen much of jan I guess they've she's resurfaced, but right, was she just living in the tunnels in the building, not ever pop an ud Yeah, I kind of miss her, kind of miss Tina Fay cold. We have Tina Faye back, We'll swap you the Brothers sisters for Tina Fey.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, very similar kind of characterization of like, yeah, you know, I'm an artist, or just like I'm a I'm superior. Yeah, I guess what she was.
Speaker 1: I guess Molly Shannon is doing that shtick this time. I mean that kind of indie stuff is a pretty pretty easy target to came out.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: But I guess we were doing. We were taken down Hollywood in Hollywood, and now we're going to take down little Hollywood. So you know what's going to be left? I know.
Speaker 2: And we've done Broadway and we've done podcasting.
Speaker 1: So it's all a scam.
Speaker 2: Nothing is real, no, nothing all.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen the pig in a while either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he's on the opening credits. I think Howard is walking him in the opening credits.
Speaker 2: He is so but is he back? Is he living in Mabel's apartment? Is he?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Which he saw that? Got to see the dog again, right, The convenient burd plot purposes once again spotting yes dogs, Yes, yes.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Yeah, we need some parenting stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, we had the requisite old people don't understand the young people's slam.
Speaker 2: The tea, the tea.
Speaker 1: On the rug. Yeah, you know, come on, Yeah, when did that I have heard that, and then people just started saying it on a podcast I.
Speaker 2: Was listening to, Oh like spilling the tea? Yes, oh, I feel like that's been around for a little.
Speaker 1: While as it. I don't know. They make things up, but I don't. I don't believe I've ever heard used that in a sentence. I do sort of know what it means.
Speaker 2: My gen Z child has definitely used it.
Speaker 1: That seems to be about where it's that. But actually the Bobby Bones show used to have a segment called Let's spill the tea, There you go? Of the staff, one of them would say, tattle on another one of them.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know, there you go. So that's been a few years. Yeah, they're not gen Z. The Bobby Bones people are more millennial. I would they millennial? Yeah, I keep forgetting everybody.
Speaker 1: For well, I don't know. I had lost all track of generations. I know I'm middle to end baby boomer. Yeah, all the rest of you are just one big one with young people making up say and coming up with technology making me feel that's right, and Martin and Steve just around being confused. Well, I had better a better time with this episode than I have with the others, but you know, I don't expect to be I would not do, not expect nor would not want to be doing this again. So what else they get?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we will have to see.
Speaker 1: I thought this was a very mom like thing from the detective. Was when they're all going, somebody's trying to kill us, and she says, as someone who's wanted to kill you the past three years, I understand, there's a very I brought you into this world. I wanted to outcome to that. And they do sympathize, Yes, I feel you. If she's she's apparently just been assigned to them, Apparently that's.
Speaker 2: She's just like, mind these mind these three yahoos. And you know, just.
Speaker 1: No matter what she's going to be the detective who's coming, right or else? She's given them notes behind the scenes, right, I think was supposedly what she was doing. Right. Mostly she just wants a camera on her too, why not?
Speaker 2: Right? And yeah, and of course we have the parental urge to document and spy upon, Yes, our children.
Speaker 1: That is very appealing. Where do you get those cameras? How do you hide them in someone's refrigerator? That's right? That was impressive. But the same time you also have that feeling of looking at your children who are very into something and going, these girls don't seem quite right. Perhaps I should get them dance lessons instead.
Speaker 2: Something other than whatever it is they're trying to do here awfully.
Speaker 1: And I don't know. Yes, we had a mention of somebody who eats the whole apple seeds, stem and even the little sticker children don't do that. A parenting tip of the week, watch how your children needs an apple? Do not allow that.
Speaker 2: I this is true. Had a friend whose daughter would do that, who would eat the whole apple. And she would go through these like jags where she would eat tons and tons of them. You know, she would eat like a bunch of apples all at once. Yeah. Those seeds have cyanide in them, so if you eat a lot of them, you can actually get sick.
Speaker 1: And she did this sounds like the plot for next season. Yea in the building. Look, somebody gave me all these apples.
Speaker 2: Yep, she actually made herself sick.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well she had to stop.
Speaker 1: That meant she stopped. Then that's good because that's a little that's the kind of things can get you on a TV show people not admiring you. But yikes, No, it was interesting. I've had kids who just like eat like one one layer around the outside of the apple and are all done.
Speaker 2: So yes, that is that is the more likely scenario.
Speaker 1: I think that's more typical. Yes, there's still a whole apple. I see it effectively peeled it with your.
Speaker 2: Spit, so now no one else can eat it. Yes, yes, I would find them like in the sink, you know, aiming for the garbage disposal, or in the garbage. I'm like, oh, there is so much Foodlet like, what are we doing here?
Speaker 1: That really bothers my husband. He will take it in eat the rest of it's got a spider, But I am a cut the apple into pieces, person, and then cut out the seeds in the stem and then eat the entire edible part of the fruit. So I don't like.
Speaker 2: That sounds a little more normal.
Speaker 1: It is. It's a little time intensive, but it means I have knives around time next season, only it's that lady who eats not apples with a knife. On we go, On we Go.
Speaker 2: So next week we will discuss the next episode. It is number seven and it is called Valley of the dolls.
Speaker 1: That sounds promising.
Speaker 2: Yes, But before that, we'll see you back here tomorrow for our weekly Roundabout roundup.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com slash Shop slash mamitude, but you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.