Speaker 1: Make us the number one preset on your car radio and on the free, new and improved iHeartRadio app listen for all your music, radio and podcast free. Never sounded so good.
Speaker 2: All right, here we go.
Speaker 3: Thanks for being with us wherever you are and however you are listening, Thanks for being here. When you're listening on your smartphone, listening online, your smart device, whatever, there's a bazillion different ways to listen. And then we know that you guys got lots of choices out there, So if you're tuning into this, thank you.
Speaker 2: My name is Sandy, This is JB.
Speaker 4: Hello, trust us here too, Hi everybody.
Speaker 2: And away we go.
Speaker 3: I thought you might like to know I took a look back at the last six months of our podcast, which you can get on the iHeartRadio app by searching JB and Sandy. Maybe this is the only part of the show that you hear you can stay caught up. The most listened to in the last six months is titled JB's Hygiene Thing.
Speaker 1: It's still it still rains, dominant.
Speaker 2: It does.
Speaker 3: The other one is when our discussion about what the hell's going on with the toll tags people? Really, I was so happy to know that I wasn't the only one that was completely baffled by the toll tags situation. Yeah, I mean completely confused by it. So check out the podcast. It's available every single day. Search JB and Sandy on the iHeartRadio app. JB found an Instagram video that we're going to play for you guys that I think everyone anyone that's lived here for any amount of time, we have all said this, right JB.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, I could so relate to this woman when you're driving around Austin just going what yeah, how did I miss out on this life? What?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What bad decision did I make that led me to where I am versus where these here?
Speaker 2: I'll play the audio for you.
Speaker 3: She's standing a woman standing to top Mount Banell and video and looking down onto Lake Austin.
Speaker 2: Of course, we're all the big beautiful homes are.
Speaker 1: And yeah, that section of homes is like referred to as the island, right. I think she's on Senior, she might be on Mount Banella Scenic Drive, but she's looking down at the island. That gated community that looks like it's almost floating out on the water, looks man made.
Speaker 2: And here's her reaction while watching the people do for a living?
Speaker 1: I mean really, and then what in the hell.
Speaker 4: Do you do for a living? Where you were you weren't several part time jobs?
Speaker 1: You work times?
Speaker 4: Are they hiring?
Speaker 2: Are they.
Speaker 4: You work several part time jobs?
Speaker 1: But yeah, included in that area where she's overlooking. We just talked about it a couple of weeks ago that the founder of Torchies Tacos is selling his place for like twenty three and a half million or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow, crazy? But who hasn't said that?
Speaker 3: And by the way, I don't think it's a really that's not a new attitude in Austin. It's not like just in the last ten years. I've thought that for the last thirty years. Yeah, driving around, it's like, who who could buy these homes?
Speaker 2: What's crazy?
Speaker 1: Do?
Speaker 5: What do you do to make all that money? And how do you know you're going to keep making all that money? Because you what you committed in this giant house?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't But honestly, would you want to house that big, like five thousand and eight ten thousand square feet?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: Thanks, only only if you can also afford, which you shouldn't be buying it.
Speaker 2: If you can't.
Speaker 1: But if you can also afford the personnel to take care of it, the staff to do landscapers and housekeepers and all that stuff, because it's a lot to manage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's I mean, just I have to feel like a home that size something is always in need of repair.
Speaker 4: Right seeing it.
Speaker 5: And I lived in a larger home back in the day, and oh my god, it was exhausting and expensive and I felt nothing but relief when we sold it, and I said, it will never ever live in a large house ever again.
Speaker 4: Ever. Like I'm like, the smaller the better.
Speaker 5: I am full on subscribe to like tiny homes, you know when they show the teeny tiny ones.
Speaker 2: I love the size of your house, JB. I love the size of your head.
Speaker 4: It's exciting.
Speaker 1: I've seen hundred and fifty square feet. I love it, you know. But we're we're paying for location close to downtown. And it's funny, my, you know, when my wife and I well, when she brings up adding on to the house, I go, we have a whole living room we don't use.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: It has a kind of a you know, a casual family room by the kitchen, and then a formal more of a formal sitting room up front. It's kind of gone by the wayside, you know, that kind of thing. But we don't even use that room. So no, I don't think we're having on Why do we need another one?
Speaker 3: I still I have, on more than one occasion, had a dream about buying my old house in Northwest Hills, which was nineteen hundred square feet, three bedroom.
Speaker 1: Loved it all that great.
Speaker 3: But it would have been a ton of money because it needed updates everything every Yeah, and anyway, I just I think it's random that I dream about, literally dream about going back to your first house, about going back to that house, and.
Speaker 5: I asked dreams about that big house we had, and there in my dream I'm like, oh my god, am I in charge of this again?
Speaker 4: Anxiety. It's not happy dreams.
Speaker 3: I literally get sad when I like, I exit one eighty three going on the three sixties south and drive by the Arboretum and drive by my old neighborhood on the left, and I literally have a sad feeling in my heart in my heart. But then you think about it, but everything works out for a reason. Right we moved out to the lake. We may we had a lot of great memories, made a lot of lifelong friends, you know what I mean. So it all kind of happens for a reason. It's a wax poetic here on the j Sanday Morning Job. Thanks for being with us, Tricia. Are you going to report some news for us? That's what you're hired for.
Speaker 4: That's what you guys pay me the big bucks for.
Speaker 5: I'm going to talk about an Austin staple that is turned forty years old, and I cannot believe that it's already been around that long, and it will, as far as I'm concerned, probably never get old and never go away.
Speaker 4: Wait till you hear what it is.
Speaker 3: And I'm going to tell you about something that's been gone for twenty years and I can't believe it's been twenty years. All right, stay with us. It's coming up on Austin's eighty station one o three point and Austin Business celebrating forty years in business. Tricia's got the story in just a second. But first I saw a Instagram reel of a place. As soon as I say the name of it, you're going to recognize it. But I don't know if this is true. They say it's been closed for twenty years. You're late Austin guy.
Speaker 1: The Pier, the Pier, I almost blurted that out. Yeah, I don't know the whole story. There's a weird story behind that property, and I don't know what it is. Something weird happened. But yeah, back in the day. Let's give people an idea. So City Park City Park Road off twenty two, twenty two takes you all the way down, you know, down by uh. If you stay left, you go to Ski Shores.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: If you go right, stay right, you go down to City Park. Across from that more in the Couernavaca area down River Hills Road was a place called the Pier and they had live music, good bands. One of the best burgers in town. Yeah, and they used to have gas pumps yep, on Lake Austin. So it was back in the day. It was a thing for sure, right. I couldn't believe it's been gone twenty years. Yeah, that's what surprised me. But I mean still yeah, Ski Shores. So it changed hands about ten years ago. Friend of mine, Rick Ingel, bought it and then he sold it to the McGuire Mormon group. Oh, a couple of years ago. So you know, now you can get a twenty five dollars Hamburger, but it's good.
Speaker 5: Why from the Left Home studio there rich shop. So an Austin staple that has been around for forty years. All the things that have changed in Austin in the last forty years, this place has stood strong and I don't think anything could happen that could make it go away because it is an Austin favorite. They celebrated their fortieth birthday and it is Amy's ice Cream fortieth birthday.
Speaker 4: Forty years they've been around.
Speaker 5: So for people who might not be familiar with the Amy's, which I don't see how you've been in Austin any length of time and you don't know. You go into Amy's ice Cream there, people get you a big scoop of ice cream and then the fun begins because they're flipping your ice cream scoop in the air, they're slamming it down, they're mixing in the toppings and the fold ends, and the ice cream is incredibly good. So, yeah, forty years of people enjoying Amy's and making.
Speaker 1: Sure Yeah they're Mexican vanilla, yep.
Speaker 4: Slice strawberries.
Speaker 2: They just get it just right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's perfect.
Speaker 1: That's hard to believe. My daughter used to babysit for Amy Simmons. Really wow, Yeah, yeah, I mean she feels sweet, you know, and it's it's wild you think I want I'm assuming that she still owns it all, she and her husband, but you know, you think they could just cash out, yeah, retire, like sell all of them. One of the things I like the way that she or whoever does business with her. I don't know if her decisions are what, but you know, if a place isn't working, she just shuts it down and moves and opens another one, you know what I mean. It seems like I mean they're like some of the staple ones had been around. Yeah, but you'll see one for a while, then it shut down, then another one opens, like if it's not working. I think they just are really proactive on that, like yeah, okay, shut that down, Let's try this location.
Speaker 2: That's smart. Why stay there and just lose money? Right? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean I'm near the one on South Congress, which it regardless of the weather, has a line, a line, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Is there is the one they still have the one at the airport in the airport, I think.
Speaker 2: So they do in there. Yeah, I would imagine so forty years.
Speaker 3: That's pretty amazing to think you started out a business that lasts for forty years and grows and grows and grows, like Amy's ice Cream has. I mean, it's become a staple in Austin. It's like you get barbecue and Amy's ice cream. Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: By the way, speaking of barbecue, Tricia and I stopped at Terry Black's Barbecue when we were driving back from Kingsville over the weekend, the original one in Lockhart.
Speaker 2: We went to it. It's good. It was. It was.
Speaker 3: I mean, maybe my expectations were super duper high, but I think it's so hyped. Yeah, it's so hype. It's good barbeca it's good. But I'm like, is it you know, travel from Europe good?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Right? Is it? It was really good. The sides that were great. The bar the brisket was great. That's the test is the brisket.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's my favorite.
Speaker 2: And a great vibe in there too. It's like it's going back in time.
Speaker 4: M hmmm.
Speaker 2: That was good.
Speaker 1: So is it like it's been a while. It's it's like downtown Lockhart right off the road off of the highway. Yeah, and there's a few good places in Lockhart. I must be thinking of something different, right, there's several on the I always get Elgin. What's the worst south side? If that's an Elgin?
Speaker 5: Right, south side is right, Harry Blacks and crewits.
Speaker 4: In Lockhart.
Speaker 1: That's the one I'm thinking of. Downtown is right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, go ahead, Jamie. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: You used to need to go to a Lockhart to get good barbie, like the best barbecue, like the best. And it's like they're all popping up in Austin.
Speaker 3: Now Here's the question I had for Tricia when it was like because it said, like what year they opened, Like it's like nineteen fifty three or whatever it was. And I said that Trista, go, do you think like before let's say nineteen fifty three, like they didn't eat barbecue?
Speaker 2: Like right?
Speaker 4: Is it new?
Speaker 2: Was busy new thing that you know landed here? I don't know.
Speaker 4: I was like, I feel like that's all they ate.
Speaker 5: There was nothing other than barbecue to eat, like giant pieces of meat.
Speaker 3: Congratulations, Amy's ice Cream forty years and Austin, stop in and get yourself a Mexican vanilla and strawberry crush.
Speaker 2: Is it's a crush in right.
Speaker 5: They can do the crushing. Sometimes it's just the slice strawberries. Man, it's good. That combo to me is perfect.
Speaker 3: And I've never seen one of the ice cream people miss, like when they toss it up in the air.
Speaker 2: They're highly trained professionals.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they can't work there if they're going to miss.
Speaker 1: How much ice cream did they go through till they are trained professional? A lot?
Speaker 3: You're right, that's the story we love. At the risk it sounded like your grandpa. Have you guys seen the weather forecast for the next week, have you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, I geeked out about it. I was looking at it and talking to my wife about it. I was like, oh, look at this week.
Speaker 3: I mean the next ten days, the next week, I mean we're only the high.
Speaker 2: It is only ninety.
Speaker 3: It's rest one day and then the rest of it's in the eighties and.
Speaker 1: A lot of rain and a lot of extently.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, I won't believe that till I see it. They've tricked us a lot so far this year.
Speaker 1: I think it's also we basically accepted our phones as our meteorologists.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right, Yeah, yeah, I still like to hear it from the local, the local weather person, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I want to hear it from.
Speaker 4: Chicago on Ji, Kristin Curry.
Speaker 3: Or Kristen Curry, one of them. So I can't keep track off all the ones over at KX and anymore. It was Jim Spencer, and then one guy was there that everybody loved, David Yeomen. And now they've got a new guy, Tricia. What's the verdict on him?
Speaker 4: Okay, so he's good, you guys.
Speaker 5: When we had the tornadoes a couple of weeks ago, I was tuned in on him. He knows this stuff, so I mean, he's pretty good. I'm going to give him a chance. He's no Jim Spencer. I don't think anybody is.
Speaker 2: But that's all he asked for is a chance.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just needs a chance, I know.
Speaker 3: So here's an idea that Tricia gave me. Tricia right now is wearing a blue T shirt with white letters. The white letters spell out the word salty s a L t y, which perfectly describes Tricia's personality. It's a little bit salty, but Tricia is Queen of the funny T shirt. That's like everyone knows, give her a T shirt with something somewhat a cerbic on it.
Speaker 4: You know, yesterday I had one on that said eye roll.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I thought, and if you guys want to do this might be fun if if we drew names and each of us had to buy a T shirt that said something on it that described that person's personality.
Speaker 4: That's a good idea, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean? So I will.
Speaker 3: I wrote the names all down in a hat, and baby, I'll draw yours first, okay, and this is who you're buy the.
Speaker 2: T shirt for? Okay, gotcha? All right?
Speaker 3: Okay, you got Tricia. That means I've have you and and Tricia has me, all right. So it's really funny when because right now my my Instagram feed is full of T shirts because I bought my daughter a T shirt that's.
Speaker 5: One he wants a million, right, And all the shirt said was progress on it right.
Speaker 2: Oh. I liked it, and I.
Speaker 3: Got it for her as she was training for this mile run timed mile run. And now all I see in my in my feed is T shirts with like different sayings on him.
Speaker 1: It's hijacked your social media. It really has.
Speaker 3: It definitely has and there's some kind of funny ones though, But apparently the standard for a T shirt now delivered is thirty bucks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, tough. I can't get one less. I looked her out. I was like, thirty bucks.
Speaker 1: That's a good margin if they're if they're buying them in volume, that's probably costing them eight probably.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, a pretty good margin. T shirt game's pretty rough though, But there was one that I want to order. I just can't bring myself to spend thirty bucks on it. It says sometimes violence is the answer.
Speaker 4: That would have been a good one to give you.
Speaker 3: I was like, I looked at it. I was like, that is so true. Sometimes violence is the answer. But so we're down with that. Let's give ourselves. I don't know a week to do it, you know, because a lot of these are going to come from the land of China.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we got to wait till they arrived China ready to send us stuff anymore.
Speaker 1: It's gonna take a little while to get the end of China.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Hey, thank you very much for listening. Make sure you listen to the radio every morning to six until ten on Austin's eighty station, what oh three point one