Speaker 1: Tired of the everyday grind, ever dream of a life of romantic adventure, want to get away from it all.
Speaker 2: We offer you.
Speaker 3: Escape, Escape, designed to free you from the four walls of today for a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 1: You stare down from the height of your plane and your brain keeps whispering. It's massif Werda, That's all. It is, just an island three hundred miles off the coast of Chile. But both you and the beautiful girl besides you know it's more than that. It's the last stop, the last time around, a death trap from which there is no escape.
Speaker 3: Listen now, as Escape brings you Tony Barrett's story, the.
Speaker 2: Target, the dreams. Senor. You see how, Queen, another one of your talents you can make like a waiter went necessary in Chili, Senor remind us many things to believe. The way it was busy, so I got the drinks. It's not a reason for it, all right, Peppy, all right, I forget it. You are angry. Look, let's not play games. Is an hour late? Now? Wow? Where is he prees? He will be here. I watch with great care. He has not come in yet. Trust me, I've got much choice have I as being late? Is that part of the build up, part of the sale you demand promptly seen informer Senor, you ought to be used to it by now You'll never get used to it because you want something, an assurance. At this time you're buying the right thing, the magic word, and you're whereabout Savata Madsen and your fall for it every time to move on to word, the whispered words said to go corakas and lima coachabamba and now tutan taltan sitting one more crummy little bar wait for one more sly little man with a word for sale? How long you search for him? This Artur Matson a year? You're watching that door. You're sure Perez hasn't come in. I'm sure you know him. I know Perrys, Senor, Why don't you relax yourself soon? Think of something of more pleasantness, like what like the lady of great beauty in the next booth from your country? Is she not? Senor? Yeah? Way off face okay, joint like this you must be out of her mind. That's fine. All we need now is a beef, because see what's all about Perry. See I'll be right back, Senor, Senor Kennedy, call here quickly, Hedie. What is it? Luke? Senor there on the floor? Is he dead? Senor? What do you think at Knight's gotta pinned to the floor. I I'm sorry for your sake, Senor. What are you talking about? The dead one? He's the one you are waiting for? Yes, paris another a blank? Now the dead end?
Speaker 4: What is it? What happened?
Speaker 5: Forget it?
Speaker 4: I've got to see it.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't want to it used to be a man named Perez.
Speaker 4: Listen, Get me out of here now, please, I can't be found here.
Speaker 2: Relax. It's a killing. I want to drink.
Speaker 4: I've got to get out, please.
Speaker 2: Cappy waiting here for me. Come on, lady, stay close to me. There's a cab.
Speaker 4: Aren't you coming?
Speaker 2: No, now, you'll be all right. Cops will be here in a few minutes. A lot of questions they'll want answers.
Speaker 4: Tell the driver quavers Hotel.
Speaker 2: Got a data in a La Senorita our hotel, Quavas, I'm at the Royal, call me in and or.
Speaker 5: Would I ask for Kennedy?
Speaker 2: The Kennedy my turn.
Speaker 4: If you'll call and know.
Speaker 2: She was she was lovely Senor. Yeah, and what will you say if the police asked about her, if she didn't like blood bueno? Come on, Pepper, you know what the deal will be. The cops will come, they'll see the last questions, and it'll end in drinks for everyone, because life here is cheap. No, I didn't make it that way. Man, buy a drink, we'll drink the Perez. He was an informer. Senor. You always drink to a dead man, even if you wouldn't give him the time of day while he was alive. If you say so, Senor, I say you. You are an unhappy man. Signor, I'm sorry for that. Yeah, I'm an unhappy man. Once in your room, you will sleep, Senor. I told you I want to talk.
Speaker 4: Come right, it's not just Senor.
Speaker 2: Can't do any messages for me?
Speaker 6: Sor?
Speaker 2: You sure no phone calls?
Speaker 4: No, Senor, I am sorry.
Speaker 2: Give me miss Eve Coleman at the hotel Clervice.
Speaker 4: Of course, you take it in your room.
Speaker 6: Sen I'll take it here a moment.
Speaker 2: Senor. You sure you don't want to take around pay.
Speaker 7: Hol dah, Senor Kennedy, you said, Senorita e Coan, That's what I said. I I am sorry, Senor, but there is no one registered there about that name.
Speaker 6: Senor.
Speaker 2: Alright, alright, forget it, the lovely one who did not like blood. Yeah, this ain't my day, Senor. Why did I told you I didn't wanna sleep or wanna talk?
Speaker 8: Well, well, well do come in there, boy, do.
Speaker 2: Sprive. Yeah, I was under the impression this was my room.
Speaker 8: That's not much of a greeting for a man that's come all the way from Hartford just to see you getting.
Speaker 2: All your man is Kennedy. This is Peppy Galvan, mister O'Brian, Peppy chief claims man of the company that puts clothes on my back. Be nice to him. He's a big man. I think I better a social call O'Brien come two thousand miles just to see me. You're spending company money? Are we plenty of it? Dear boy?
Speaker 8: Even after pouring your expenses down the drain considerable expenses eind sight, You.
Speaker 2: Can take me off at any time you like. You got a better man, put him on it, dear boy. Tem temper tempa.
Speaker 5: Wouldn't be fair to you with a Kennedy.
Speaker 8: After aught Arthur Manson was in your custody when he escaped with his banks hundred thousand.
Speaker 2: You come all this way, just tell me that they have a.
Speaker 8: No idea back home, Kennedy. But perhaps you're not trying too hard to find Arthur Madson. That from your point of view, it might be just the thing you don't want to do.
Speaker 2: I make myself clear. You don't have to fire me, O Brian, I quit right now. I don't be an idiot. Kennedy. You could tell them they were right. You never get another insurance job as long as you live. You know, San Diego, Kennedy, but it's still run. I can get their why. But that didn't come down here just to fight with you.
Speaker 4: You got one last chance. I listen to me.
Speaker 8: Masafuera is an island three hundred.
Speaker 2: Miles off San Diego. I know where it.
Speaker 8: A return on an office wanted describes an American living there. The description fits Arthur Madson.
Speaker 2: I heard you. I'll take a look, do.
Speaker 8: Dear boy do, and I'll tell them back in Hart that.
Speaker 5: You're still trying.
Speaker 2: By dear boy, bye, happy you really know San Diego still got a job. Get down the docks. Get passage for both of us for tomorrow. She signor he said, three day trip, you know, on a fruit boat. I'd have to make this one if it was a rowboat. Picked me up in the morning. The cabin is not so bad, Signor you wish to, I'll go out on deck for a while. You wu back, Senor, I do that.
Speaker 4: I never even said thanks, did I?
Speaker 2: Vic Dick?
Speaker 4: You're angry, No, you're angry. You helped the girl who never said things I never called?
Speaker 2: Why was it too much? Trouble?
Speaker 4: Cool?
Speaker 2: Sweet pigeon Victory? See Signor, this is a hotel wave us no Signor is no lady here by name of youve Coleman? Sorry? Why a joke? A whim? Why not a whim? I want an answer.
Speaker 4: It's too long a story, big.
Speaker 5: Sweet bag.
Speaker 2: I got the time, we got the time.
Speaker 4: You're wasting it. You're wasting Hm. You talk too much? You know that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That hapned. Let's go sit down. I'll set up these deck chairs.
Speaker 4: Mmmm happy?
Speaker 2: What do you think.
Speaker 4: Deck chair should always touch closer?
Speaker 2: Darling? Better?
Speaker 4: You know some days somebody's gonna get smart and make a deck chair for two. You're quiet.
Speaker 2: It's the setup to sit with a girl like you, to look out at places with names like Antofagusta. Ow dare we could get to like it?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 2: Eve, yes, Eve? The way you ran out on me and tell Tan now you're.
Speaker 4: Here a questions. I can see them coming to get dressed. I see it dinner, darling.
Speaker 5: You'll be pleased, Senor said.
Speaker 2: You. You look like a man who is he loved, but he's not happy about it. Something wrong, Senor, old have it occupational hazard. You'll always add two and two. Don't come up for it's bad if it comes forth too easy? Bad again? She said, you wants you to get a radiogram off for me to Hartford, Connecticut, to an insurance company. What is it?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 2: Nothing?
Speaker 4: Ah, nothing, the man says, just like that, and his eyes narrow and his lips tightened, and he wonders how to begin. And when I ask him what does he say? Nothing? That's what he says, And he fingers a sheet of paper in his pocket, hopes, I don't notice.
Speaker 2: Very pretty, you're good with words. I got a present for you and no set of words. And they hear it because they tell me something that there is no Eve Coleman, only a girl who calls herself that, a girl who's.
Speaker 4: Who's really missus Arthur Madson. That's who I am, Missus Arthur Madson, and he complaints.
Speaker 2: And Vick mm hm hi.
Speaker 10: Vic, you are listening to the Target.
Speaker 3: It's presentation of Escape Junion Monday Night and meet Carlos Archer here on CBS Radio. Remember on most of these stations every Monday Night. Come on and meet Carlos Archer. And now back to Escape and the second act of the Target.
Speaker 11: What is it?
Speaker 4: It's Laura, invite me and you know the way in they asked me if you were sick when you didn't show for dinner.
Speaker 2: I'm sick.
Speaker 4: I missed you. Did it hurt to stay away from you?
Speaker 11: Think?
Speaker 4: Tell me how much it hurt?
Speaker 2: Here is it?
Speaker 4: The name?
Speaker 6: Is that?
Speaker 4: What bothers you? Why don't you try it? Darling? It's easy, Laura, mats nice?
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 3: Winnie?
Speaker 2: What kind of dame are you?
Speaker 4: You ask that?
Speaker 12: You look at what a child who reached for the moon and sucks because he found it a different color. You can't afford to sulk, Vic, not you what The last time I saw my husband was an hour after his escape from you. How does a little man like Arthur Madson get away from a man your size, vic.
Speaker 9: How he buys that.
Speaker 2: You're out of your mind.
Speaker 4: You want the price five thousand dollars. Arthur told me Hurting me won't change it, Darling doesn't change anything.
Speaker 2: What I say.
Speaker 4: I don't care. Don't you understand that, not about any of it.
Speaker 2: I love you, Darling. Hi, I'd say it.
Speaker 4: I want to hear you say it. M H.
Speaker 2: I love you, Laura, Ah say Senor, to find out anything, catch my my brain? Where is she Peppy? Where? I tried her cabin, everyplace, every pace?
Speaker 6: He is he?
Speaker 2: Senor? I just found out from one of the sea men. He saw he leave there the moment with dark she she was the first one off. What she couldn't do? You sure is what he say? It must be so, Senor, she's nowhere to be found. I'm sorry, Senor. Yeah, you would take the stuff at her tell. I got things to do. Be it the San Diego police most of the day. Which hotel Senor is the best? Uh Cassa, San Diego, right on the beach. It's nice for swimming. That's it. Then last time around, I as well go first class. Must have been a long visit with the police. Is after eight Signor I haven't seen the chief yet. He's at the other end of the city all day. Be here in any minute. Then I see you in the morning.
Speaker 13: You like the room, the radio, Yeah, Senor, that's right you, Captain Delgada, very late Delgada with much apology.
Speaker 2: Oh what come on in for taking so long to.
Speaker 9: Return your court.
Speaker 2: I forget it. You didn't know I was coming, but.
Speaker 9: Of course I did, Senor.
Speaker 2: Your senor O'Brien said, so San drink nice idea, very nice. Obrian phoned you.
Speaker 9: See I think we talked for maybe twenty minutes, A long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, O'Brien can talk.
Speaker 9: Did you drink las Yes, Akaraska. My Spanish is not good translation to each what he deserves? How you call philosophical? No, well, I'm sure O'Brien told you the whole setup and see everything. What do you think it's possible this author Madson is on Massafuera. If so, he won't be hard to find a wild island, Senor. Beautiful, but no different than it was thousands of years ago. See, they will know if an American lives on that island. Hey, don't you know, oh'brian, amigo? He asks me the same question, and I try to explain.
Speaker 2: To him, Explain, explain what elgara.
Speaker 9: The simple fact that Massafuera is just an island, and that I have no you call jurisdiction there from friendly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I understand, and then we have no problems. None.
Speaker 9: Well know, the day has been long, and the bed will be as a friend. If there is anything I can do for you here in Santiago, you will give me that pleasure.
Speaker 2: You've done it already, Senor.
Speaker 9: And then I say good night to you, Senor, and good hunting. I hope you find this Arthur medicine before she does. She the young lady, the lovely young lady who asks my lieutenant about Madson only this afternoon.
Speaker 2: Where that's not you?
Speaker 4: Open your eyes Vic for me, all right, Ala. A man all alone on the beach at night is trying to wash something out of his mind. Laura, no questions. Nowhere have you been?
Speaker 2: I know where you've been, doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: Say it, Vick, I want to hear it.
Speaker 2: I love you Laura again. I love you. Oh sweet Big Laura is worried Matson. What are we gonna do about him?
Speaker 11: Kill him?
Speaker 2: Why? Laura?
Speaker 4: Why You've always known you'd have to do it. Took a bribe, Darling. Remember I don't want my VICI prison. I want him with me, close to me. Kill him, darling, Laura, all that money a little nothing like him sitting on an island with all that money. Our money. You hear me, Darling, you understand our money.
Speaker 6: Laura.
Speaker 4: There's a plane in the morning. They must have wear it. We'll be on him together.
Speaker 2: We'll be honored like man hunting. Laura.
Speaker 4: Oh not eight hours of it?
Speaker 2: Oh god, I didn't tell me it was all uphill, Nick, What is it?
Speaker 4: Clearing?
Speaker 6: Just a hit?
Speaker 4: I think it's the top.
Speaker 6: Come on, look in time for dinner, mister Kennedy.
Speaker 11: I waited almost a year for you. You're looking well tired, but well Hello. You want to freshen up my dear Arthur. While you do, I'll entertain, mister Kennedy, show him what my island has to recommend it. Freshen up, Laura, mats Now, let me play host, Kennedy. I'm out of practice, but let me try. You drink, Laura, yours Kennedy lost his mind? Is that what you're thinking, Kennedy? That Arthur Madson lost his mind?
Speaker 2: A man who.
Speaker 11: Shows you a shabby little house he loves, and the stone terrace built himself and makes you a drink. As civilized people do, values change, Kennedy. This is all I care about now, this terrace, the view from it, even the rocks one hundred feet below.
Speaker 2: A great lesson, Kennedy.
Speaker 6: From here, everyone's a little man.
Speaker 4: I'm glad you're a happy little man.
Speaker 6: How am I going to die?
Speaker 2: Kennedy? Will you use a knife? That's the matter with you?
Speaker 11: I don't mind, not really. I've had a year away from her, a whole year. You'll pray for your island. It will take too long.
Speaker 2: You're crazy. Laura is doing better with you, Kennedy.
Speaker 6: You're going to kill for her.
Speaker 2: I only stole for you, stole for yourself. Matten.
Speaker 11: That's what she fit you. Oh poor Kennedy. You told him I had the money, law lovely.
Speaker 4: Love killing Vick. Now what are you waiting for?
Speaker 2: Who's got it? Mas? She has you idiots, She's always had it.
Speaker 6: But I'm the only one who knows it. Aun't I Laura?
Speaker 2: With me alive, you'd never be safe, never be completely sure.
Speaker 7: Are you.
Speaker 6: Going to do your own killing?
Speaker 2: Laura?
Speaker 4: Let him live too? Long Vick. He shouldn't have said that, stop moving.
Speaker 2: You're gonna kill us both, Laura both. I could kill the little man in a bar back in twtown.
Speaker 4: I bought that, darling, you were getting too close. Say goodbye Arthur nicely.
Speaker 2: Alone. I won't go along now. You don't need help, not any more. Humm, I an't need it now.
Speaker 3: I the direction of David Friedkin and Morton Fine. Escape has brought you the Target, a story by Tony Barrett. Featured in the cast were Whitfield, Connor and Mary Jane Croft. Also heard were Edgar Barrier, Herb Butterfield, Hans Conried, Malitea Milo and Janeavello. You're announcer George Walsh. The special music for Escape is composed and conducted by Leith Stephens.
Speaker 2: Next week, you're at the end of a journey.
Speaker 1: You've committed murder to make a barren wasteland of India silent desolate, where there is a cave and a carved image of the goddess Coullie, whose heart is a ruby, big is a grenade, and which is guarded by a smiling old man from whom there is no escape.
Speaker 3: So listen next week when Escape brings you Ross Murray's story The Red Heart of Callie, an honest doctor resists temptation but gets into trouble anyway. Tomorrow night, when mister and Missus North bring us their latest thrilling mystery.
Speaker 10: Don't forget.
Speaker 3: CBS Radio has a date for Mystery with Mister and Missus North Tomorrow night, and you're welcome to on most of these same stations. Stay tune now for night Watch, which follows immediately over most of these stations. Where there's gun smoke, there's Western Adventure Monday nights on the CBS Radio network