Speaker 1: Hey everyone, and welcome back for another deep dive.
Speaker 2: Yes, welcome back.
Speaker 1: Today we're picking some locks.
Speaker 2: Ooh that sounds fun.
Speaker 1: It is fun. It's actually a really fascinating topic. I mean, who doesn't love a good lock exactly? So we're talking all about locks and locksmithing. And we've got a great source for this one, Yes we do. It's the Complete Book of Locks and Locksmithing by Bill Phillips.
Speaker 2: This book is awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and even in the forward, Greg Mango, who's a veteran locksmith, calls it a treasure trove of information, so he's not a line. We're in good hands with this one. Yeah. So where do we even begin with locks? I mean we're everywhere.
Speaker 2: Right, everywhere, you know, and we just take them for granted, we do. But the history is fascinating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I was surprised to learn that locks have been around for centuries.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, like way back, like ancient times, ancient civilizations. Yeah, the Egyptians four thousand years ago, they had locks that are similar to what we use today.
Speaker 1: Really, I would have thought pinned tumbler locks were a much more recent invention.
Speaker 2: Right, but no, the Egyptians were using wood to create these locking mechanisms wood like a wooden bolt with wooden pins and a wooden key.
Speaker 1: It's amazing, that's incredible. So it's like a really early version of a pin tumbler lock exactly.
Speaker 2: The basic principle is the same.
Speaker 1: Wow. So I guess the need for security has been around forever.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: What about other ancient cultures do they have similar locks?
Speaker 2: It's interesting because you see variations. So like ancient Greece they relied a lot on rope knots and warded locks.
Speaker 1: Rope knots really yeah, pretty clever.
Speaker 2: Actually, I guess back then it was more about the fear of tampering with the knot than any complex mechanism.
Speaker 1: Right, it was a different mindset about security.
Speaker 2: So when do we start seeing those more complex locks.
Speaker 1: Well, things really start to pick up in the eighteenth century in England, especially in England.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's when lever tumbler locks come into the picture, right exactly.
Speaker 1: Robert Barn's invention was a game changer. It made picking locks much harder.
Speaker 2: So how did those lever tumbler locks work? Think of levels that need to be lifted to specific heights for the.
Speaker 1: Lock to open, like a multi layered puzzle.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and the key has this unique bidding that lifts the levers just right.
Speaker 1: So that's why they were considered more secure than warded locks.
Speaker 2: Much more secure, and this innovation really sparked a wave of creativity among the locksmith's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you had all those famous names like Joseph Brahma and Jeremiah Chubb.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they were like the rock stars of locksmith thing.
Speaker 1: It was like an arms race to create the most secure lock.
Speaker 2: It was until this American locksmith, Ac Hobbs came along.
Speaker 1: He's the one who picked Brahma's supposedly unpickable lock, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at the Great Exhibition in London.
Speaker 1: Al must have been quite a shock.
Speaker 2: Oh, it was huge. It really showed that no lock is truly unpickable.
Speaker 1: So it pushed everyone to keep innovating.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've got warded locks and lever tumbler locks, all right, but let's talk about the most basic type of the warded lock. Okay, what made them so easy to bypass?
Speaker 2: So imagine a warded lock like a maze. The key has to navigate these fixed obstacles called wards. But the problem is those wards are fixed, so with the right tools, you can manipulate them and open the lock without the key.
Speaker 1: So it's more about getting past the obstacles than matching a specific key.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and that's why warded locks eventually gave way to more secure designs like lever tumbler locks.
Speaker 1: And from there we get to the pin tumbler lock the start of the show, the one we see on most doors today.
Speaker 2: Yep, they're reliable, affordable, and pretty darn secure.
Speaker 1: So remind me again how those pin tumbler locks work.
Speaker 2: So picture a cylinder with spring loaded pins of different lengths. Okay, these pins block the cylinder from turning. The key is what aligns those pins to a specific height.
Speaker 1: So each key has a unique arrangement of.
Speaker 2: Pins exactly, And when you insert the correct key, it pushes the pins up and they align with this thing called the sheer line.
Speaker 1: The sheer lin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like the sweet spot where the cylinder can rotate freely.
Speaker 1: All I see. So if the pins aren't aligned at the sheer line, the lock stays shut exactly.
Speaker 2: It's all about precision.
Speaker 1: And what about the different parts of the lock itself.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you've got the shell, which is the outer casing. Then you've got the plug, which is the part that rotates, and.
Speaker 1: The pins are inside the plug.
Speaker 2: Right, You've got bottom pins and top pins, and they're spring loaded, so they're always pushing down to keep the lock secure.
Speaker 1: Unless the right key comes along and lists them up exactly.
Speaker 2: And then there's the keyway, which is the slot where you insert the key.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the key lifts the pins, they align at the sheer line, and the lock opens.
Speaker 2: Boom.
Speaker 1: It's amazing how all those little parts work together.
Speaker 2: It's a beautiful thing.
Speaker 1: What about master key systems those always seem kind of magical to me.
Speaker 2: They are pretty cool.
Speaker 1: How can one key open multiple locks with different pin arrangements?
Speaker 2: So master key systems use these extra pins called master pins, okay, and these master pins create multiple sheer lines within the lock, so.
Speaker 1: Instead of just one unlocked position, there multiple positions precisely.
Speaker 2: So a change key will align one set of pins, and a master key will align a different set, including those master pins.
Speaker 1: That's so clever. It's like having multiple secret handshakes within.
Speaker 2: The lock exactly. But designing these systems is complex. You have to make sure each key only grants access to the intended locks.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Security is key. Literally, it's mind blowing how much goes into something as seemingly simple as a lock.
Speaker 2: And we're just getting started. There's so much more to explore.
Speaker 1: I can't wait me neither, buckle up, Let's do it.
Speaker 2: We're diving deeper into the world of locks and locksmithing.
Speaker 1: Awesome, let's go.
Speaker 2: You know, it's amazing when you really start looking into it. There are so many kinds of locks out there.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we've been talking about door locks, but I mean think about it. It's endless padlocks, bike locks, even those little TSA locks on luggage.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and each type has its own little world of details.
Speaker 1: So like with padlocks, is there more to it that meets the eye? Oh?
Speaker 2: Absolutely. You can't just grab any padlock. There are different levels of security, just like with door locks, right.
Speaker 1: Because a bikelock needs to be way tougher than something just securing a little box exactly.
Speaker 2: You have to consider the environment, what someone might try to break it with makes sense.
Speaker 1: So there's no one size fits all padlock.
Speaker 2: Nope. And even within say pin tumbler padlocks, there are so many variations. The way they're built, materials, all that affects how strong they are.
Speaker 1: So you really have to think about what you're protecting and what kind of security you need exactly. Okay, let's talk about the heavy hitters safes.
Speaker 2: Now we're talking serious security.
Speaker 1: When you need to protect something super valuable, a safe seems like the ultimate solution.
Speaker 2: They're built to withstand a lot more than just picking heavy duty steel, intricate locking mechanism like a bank vault. Yeah, pretty much. And there are so many types home safes, gun safes, all the way up to those massive bank vaults.
Speaker 1: I guess the main thing is fire resistance and burglary protection.
Speaker 2: Right, because a fire safe might not stop someone from breaking in, So.
Speaker 1: You really have to think about what you need the safe to protect.
Speaker 2: Against absolutely and look for safes that meet industry standards like UL ratings.
Speaker 1: So those ratings tell you how well a safe will hold up against fire or a break in exactly.
Speaker 2: That way, you can compare and choose the right level of.
Speaker 1: Protection, and the locks on safe for a whole other level too.
Speaker 2: Right. Oh yeah, we're talking complex combination locks, multiple dials, internal mechanisms designed to be super resistant to tampering.
Speaker 1: So not your average combination lock.
Speaker 2: Nope, These are serious business. Cracking one of those would take a lot of skill, time and the right tools.
Speaker 1: They're like the fort Knox of locks pretty much.
Speaker 2: Plus they often have these relocking devices that trigger if someone tries to mess with the lock.
Speaker 1: Wow. So it's layers upon layers of security exactly.
Speaker 2: Choosing a safe is all about understanding your needs, researching different models, and finding the one that provides the right level of protection.
Speaker 1: It's not something to take lightly.
Speaker 2: Nope.
Speaker 1: Now let's talk about the people who make all this security magic happened. Locksmiths, ah, the masters of locks. It seems like a job that takes a ton of skill and knowledge.
Speaker 2: Oh definitely. Locksmiths are way more than just door openers, I am having. They're experts in lock mechanics, security systems, key duplication.
Speaker 1: So they're like security consultants for our homes and businesses exactly.
Speaker 2: They install in repair locks, rea key systems, create master key systems, and advise on security upgrades.
Speaker 1: It's a lot more than just picking locks.
Speaker 2: Right, and with all the new smart locks and electronic access control systems, their skills are evolving to.
Speaker 1: Speaking of which, this book mentions something called lock bumping.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's a real thing.
Speaker 1: Is it really as easy as it looks in the movies?
Speaker 2: Well, it's not quite movie magic. It uses a special key called a bump key to transfer energy through the pins and potentially unlock the door.
Speaker 1: So you just hit the key and boom, the lock opens.
Speaker 2: It's a bit more nuanced than that. The impact has to be just right, and it can damage the lock if you don't know what you're doing. Sounds risky, yeah, definite something to try at home. And it's important to remember that any technique used to bypass locks should be done ethically and legally.
Speaker 1: So leave it to the professionals. Right now. What about impressioning? That seems even more specialized than lock picking.
Speaker 2: Impressioning is like creating a fingerprint of the lock's internal mechanism.
Speaker 1: Okay, how does that work.
Speaker 2: You use a blank key and special tools to map out the lock's pins, filing down the key until it perfectly matches.
Speaker 1: So you're basically making a working key based on the impressions left by the locks parts exactly.
Speaker 2: It's a super precise process, takes a lot of skill and patience.
Speaker 1: I bet so not something just anyone could pick up and do.
Speaker 2: Nope, and as locks get more complex, impressioning gets even.
Speaker 1: Harder, which is why manufacturers are always coming up with new security features.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's a constant battle between those who want to create security and those who want to break.
Speaker 1: It, a security arms race exactly.
Speaker 2: But remember security isn't just about having the strongest locks.
Speaker 1: So it's not all about the hardware, right, you have to.
Speaker 2: Think about how it's used and implemented, so.
Speaker 1: Like making sure doors and windows are properly secured and not leaving keys lying.
Speaker 2: Around, Exactly. It's about taking a holistic approach to security.
Speaker 1: Thinking about all the potential weak points.
Speaker 2: Right, and that's where locksmiths and security professionals come in. They can assess your needs and recommend the best combination of locks, systems and practices.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a security expert on your side exactly.
Speaker 2: Now, are you ready to step into the future?
Speaker 1: Woh? I like where this is going.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about electrical access and exit control systems.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're moving beyond keys and locks now we are.
Speaker 2: This is the next level of security technology.
Speaker 1: So are we talking like key card systems or those biometric scanners you see in spy movies?
Speaker 2: You got it? Electrical access control systems can be anything from simple key card readers to those high tech biometric scanners that use fingerprints or iris scans, so.
Speaker 1: Instead of physical keys, we're using electronic signals to control access exactly.
Speaker 2: And these systems have a ton of advance like what Well, For one, you can easily grant or revoke access without having to change any locks. That's super convenient, and you can track who's coming and going, which is great for security monitoring, so.
Speaker 1: It's like having a digital logbook for your building exactly.
Speaker 2: Plus you can integrate these systems with other security measures like alarms and cameras, so.
Speaker 1: It's all connected, creating this web of security exactly.
Speaker 2: We're talking about a more holistic and intelligent approach to security.
Speaker 1: This is blowing my mind. We've gone from ancient Egyptian wooden locks to futuristic access control systems.
Speaker 2: And it's all driven by that same human desire for security.
Speaker 1: It's incredible how much things have evolved, but one.
Speaker 2: Thing remains constant, the ingenuity we use to both create and overcome security measures. It's a never ending game of cat mouse exactly, and it's what makes this field so fascinating.
Speaker 1: It's amazing to think about all the different ways we try to protect ourselves and our stuff.
Speaker 2: It is and it makes you realize that security is more than just gadgets and gizmos.
Speaker 1: It's about understanding the human element too, Exactly.
Speaker 2: This book actually delves into some of the legal and ethical sides of locksmithing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was surprised by how much of that was in there.
Speaker 2: It's important stuff. I mean, locksmiths have a lot of knowledge and skill, and it's crucial that they use it responsibly.
Speaker 1: Right, because those skills could be used for good or bad.
Speaker 2: Exactly. There's a fine line there, and that's why the locksmithing profession has all sorts of regulations and ethical guidelines.
Speaker 1: It's not just about knowing how to pick a lock. It's about knowing when and why you should right.
Speaker 2: It's about building trust and making sure those skills are used to protect people, not exploit them.
Speaker 1: The book even talked about some of the gray areas locksmith's face.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, like what happens if someone asks you to copy a key that says do not duplicate, or.
Speaker 1: If someone refuses to pay after you've done the work.
Speaker 2: Those are tough situations that require a lot of judgment and understanding of the law.
Speaker 1: It really highlights the fact that locksmithing is a profession built on trust and responsibility.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's not just about the technical stuff, it's about the ethics too.
Speaker 1: So as we wrap up this deep dive, what are some key takeaways for our listeners.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the biggest thing is awareness. Don't wait until something bad happens to start thinking about security right, be proactive exactly. Take some time to think about what you need to protect and what the potential threats are.
Speaker 1: So assess your vulnerabilities.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and then you can start exploring solutions. But don't underestimate the power of simple measures.
Speaker 1: Like making sure your doors and windows.
Speaker 2: Are locked exactly, and be careful who you give your keys to, and if you see something suspicious, report it.
Speaker 1: Those basic things can really make a difference.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and ounce prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Speaker 1: Now, when it comes to choosing locks or security systems, any advice.
Speaker 2: Do your research, invest in quality products from reputable manufacturers.
Speaker 1: Don't just go for the cheapest option.
Speaker 2: Right, look for products that meet your specific needs. And remember security isn't a one.
Speaker 1: Time thing, it's an ongoing process.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Stay informed about potent threats, keep your systems up to date, and be ready to adapt as technology changes, because the.
Speaker 1: World of security is always evolving. Always. This deep dive has been fascinating. I feel like I've learned so much about the history, mechanics, and even the ethics of locks and locksmithing.
Speaker 2: It's a really interesting field and it affects all of us in some way.
Speaker 1: As technology keeps advancing, I'm sure we'll see even more innovations.
Speaker 2: And challenges, definitely, but the human desire for security will always.
Speaker 1: Be there and that's what drives this whole industry forward as well. That's a wrap on our deep dive into the world of locks and locksmithing.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 1: We hope you learn something new and maybe even feel a little more empowered to take control of your own security.
Speaker 2: Remember, knowledge is power, Stay curious, keep exploring, and as always, thanks for listening to the Deep Dive.