Speaker 1: Yorks Toxic. This is the seventy seven WABC Mini Cast.
Speaker 2: Folks, this is the More Money Show. And thank you so much for joining and taking some time out of your weekend to become educated about what's going on with our government because it is out of control. I think everyone agrees, if you're a Democrat, Republican, independent, I think everybody agrees that our government is out of control, the costs are out of control, et cetera, et cetera. And by the way, I am going to tomorrow. I feel very privileged because I will be going to the Grand Prix event in Washington, c. I believe that will be also televised. But this is kind of what once. I don't think this has ever happened in Washington way of an auto race right down Pennsylvania Avenue, so I'm really looking forward to it. I hope it stays dry because it's supposed to rain themorrow afternoon, and of course the ground pre racers can't go very fast if the if the roads are wet, So I'm praying for some sunshine and stay dry. My next guest, by the way, and don't forget in about ten minutes or so, we'll will be taking your calls. I want your solutions to the debt crisis. I want your one or two three things that you would do to bring down this debt. And if you think we should do this by raising taxes, come on, come on the show. I want to hear from you. This is freedom of speech radio. If you disagree with me on this, I think raising taxes would be a total disaster. I think they'll just spend the money if you give them more money. But I'm open to any suggestion that you might have about how we can bring this debt down. One of the guys who's dedicated his career's career to doing that is Phil Kirpin. He works with me at Unleashed Prosperity as our executive director. He also runs a group called America Commitment and has been a long time advocate of a limited government and economic freedom.
Speaker 1: Phil.
Speaker 2: Thanks for coming on.
Speaker 1: Hey, my pleasure.
Speaker 2: So the reason I wanted to bring you on today, Phil, you've been on the show many times is that I read a story about healthcare costs coming down. Prescription drug prices came down, and some of my more liberal friends were saying, see see Biden's Inflation Control Act worked and we brought the drug you know, we had all these drug price controls and that's lowered the price of drugs. And you're telling me that is not true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that had very very little to do with it. If you look at the drugs that have actually been subject to the price controls, they really are not. First of all, they're not enough of them. They've only been ten of them. They're not enough of them to have moved the entire category down in the consumer Price index.
Speaker 2: But also, wait, hold on, hold on, you mean when you say there's not enough of them, you mean there weren't enough drugs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, were subject of the price controls. Is okay, got me. They're too few to have been the main factor behind you know, price drop across all the prescription drugs. And also the price reductions were much less than they told us were going to happen, because what actually, you know, when they actually went through this process of justifying the prices and going through this review at the HHS and so forth, what they found is that these prices were already pretty heavily negotiated with the individual Drug plan and they were not able to deliver the reductions that they thought they were going to which is probably good. By the way, although you know some of the details of how they want to do it going forward, they actually could make more stringent price control. So I'm sort of of two minds. You know, the price controls have been ineffective, but that's probably good because if they'd been effective, they would have undermined, you know, the incentives for new cures and so forth. But what's actually brought prices down has been the Trump administration policies to increase competition and choice and increase investment in the US, and in particular Steve, I think the key has been direct to consumer sales, and these have really taken off out the middle now Mark Mark Cuban has a site and there, and what we're seeing is, you know, a lot of the pharmacy counter sales are lower because they're trying to compete because they know that people now can go other places. And so I think that's been been a very big But I mean, we shouldn't overstate this. You know, the twelve month decrease of three point one percent is the largest decrease we've ever seen since they started keeping these stats in nineteen seventy. But see, it's still only three percent, So most people are going to say, well, the drugs are still very expensive, so look directionally, it's great, it's still pretty small overall, and of course, you know, the bigger challenges are you know, insurance costs and hospital costs, and hospital costs have been almost vertical, and so, you know, it's nice. I do think the president there's a lot of credits for it, but I really would like to see Republicans doing much more on healthcare than what they've done so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too. So when we talk about our forty trillion dollars national debt, which is actually about thirty two trillion, it's still a gigantic number. Healthcare really has been one of you know, Medicare and Medicaid really have been a drivers of our debt and also the higher costs of healthcare. In other words, when we put in Medicare and Medicaid, they were supposed to hold down prices of healthcare. But the more we spend on Medicare and Meta, it seems like the more the prices go up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is the you know, this is the problem with the Democrats solution to every problem being for more taxpayer money at it. Oh, it's too expensive, so we'll subsidize it more. Well, what happens is it flows through into higher prices. And in particular in healthcare, we've got really high barriers to entry, many of which are caused by all of the rules and regulations and so forth. And so you know, we've now got you basically three giant insurance companies. Most markets have one or two giant hospital systems. And so when you pour more money in, you pour more subsidies, and it flows right through into higher prices. It does not actually, it does not actually increase supply or increase access. It flows through into higher prices. And of course, when you've got open ended obligations to provide healthcare for all the old people in Medicare and all the poor people in medicaid, you can imagine how that destroys the budgetary outlook.
Speaker 2: Now, the Democrats, Phil, I'm talking about Phil Kirpan, who's with an economist at American Commitment and also works with me at Unleashed Prosperity.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: If I had a Democrat on uh, you know, debating you, Phil, the Democrat would say, oh, what we need is medicare for all, So everybody would just get the Medicare that senior citizens got. I know, a lot of people think, hey, that's a great idea, you know, that'll reduce costs. What do you make of that idea?
Speaker 1: Well, uh, Medicare is not doing so great. So when they say all the exactly people on it, I kind of touched my head a little bit. You know, this is the this is the horrible irony of where we are on healthcare right now. The same party that put a huge government imprint on our healthcare system it's working so poorly. Then they say, see, the problem is there's too much free market. We need even more government total deving to take over. But you know, you look, you look around the world at countries that have the most centralized, bureaucratized healthcare systems, like the United Kingdom, like Canada, and they do contain costs in a way, but they contain costs by rational care, by having long waiting less. That's not that that's not a solution that I think most Americans would want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let people die and you reduce your health care costs, right right exactly?
Speaker 1: Or many people live with a brace and painkillers instead of getting joint replacement. Joint replace is very hard to get in most of those countries.
Speaker 2: That's a great point, a really good point. So I've been uh, well, one other issue I want to bring on bring up with respect to healthcare costs. Something that we've advocated is this idea of more price transparency. So when you go to the hospital or the insurance company or the you know, buy a drug or go to a clinic, that you know that you know what the prices are. Because nobody really knows what anything costs, you don't really have a functioning market.
Speaker 1: It's so important, it's so important, and you know, Trump has done a lot of things on executive authority to order more transparency. The problem is we've got very poor compliance and the fines are relatively small. So when you have a multi billion dollar health hospital system and they're not posting their prices even though they've been ordered to, and the fine is you know, a maximum million dollars, well they're a multi billion dollar sistm them, so it doesn't necessarily move them. And so I would like to see more legislation on this, and there now have been pretty good bills passed in the committee level. I'm both the House and Senate, but you know, four times at a premium, and then there's the question of you know, what vehicle is there. But this is the one aspect transparency where maybe it could be bipartisan. You know, Schumer had been blocking anything related to hospital transparency, in particular because the New York hospitals where he sort of gave them a veto, but he was sort of I learned he's capable of shame Steve because it got reported in political that he's no abossles, I'll never do anything you don't agree to. And then he changed his mind and said, oh no, actually we may do some things the hospitals don't like, and so maybe something bipartisan could be done. But I'm not super optimistic about anything legislative at this point in the calendar.
Speaker 2: So what do you think of my idea of you know, no price, no pay. In other words, if you know, let's just play hardball with these people, because you're right, they're not complying with they're not They say that there's price transparency, but I don't know. I don't see price transparency when I go to the doctor or a physician's office, So you know, why not force them, like if the patient can attest to the fact that they were never told what it was going to cost, they don't have to pay for And I think if you did that, they would start posting every price everywhere.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it. I know. I think Ted Cruz has picked up your idea and it's running with you know, to me, that makes much more sense than trying to figure out how much you're going to find them after the fact. And you know, if we could do that, if we could really put something in with piece that requires prices to be posted, that could be one of the key ingredients to getting a real market system. Along with I think a couple of us, we need to fix the payment policies and the tax policies that have caused so much consolidation, so we can have more independent doctors in imaging centers and clinics and surgical centers. And we've got to make people control the healthcare dollars, whether they're in a government program or an employer. And you know, if we could do those things, don't have the money disappear into insurance companies, have transparency, and have more competition and choice. I think we would bring down costs in a way where we would get more and better health there instead of you know less and worse.
Speaker 2: I always tell the story that, you know, a few years ago, I jolted my shoulder, so, you know, I went to the doctor and he said, you have a small rotator cuff you know issue, and you're on the you know, he said, you may certain need surgery or may decide to just use physical therapy. And I asked the doctor how much it would cost if I had the you know, the surgery. He said he didn't know what would cost. The doctor didn't know what would cost and and you know, I don't know what it costs. He doesn't know what it costs. He said. I was the first time he'd ever had a patient ask him how much it was going to cost. I mean, this is just not the way to run a free enterprise country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's crazy. You know. The other thing that I've done a few times now, which you know, people should try this. It's amazing. Sometimes you go to the pharmacy counter and then you know, they ring up a drug for you and they say, oh, it's seventy dollars or something, and they say, oh, what would it cost if you ran it as cash? And then I say, oh, twenty dollars and say, Okay, do it that way. I really yeah, because sometimes the insurance company they have a contract with make some charge of higher kick the money up to them.
Speaker 2: Incredible. All right, we got just two months left, phil Kerpen, I've been asking every guest, so I'm going to put you on the hook for this. I want your two best ideas for how we start to bring down this forty trillion dollar debt.
Speaker 1: Well, I think the key is that we've got to reduce government spending. And I would do this in a few ways. One in the healthcare forms we were just talking about, I think would help a lot. But we really need to have a major, major anti fraud push. And I think that in particular, we've got to cut off the flow of welfare federal welfare, welfare dollars to the states that have massive fraud rates, and like California, we're food stamps and Medicaid and every other welfare program, housing VAT. They all get massively abused, they get massively abused, and we need to move in the direction of shifting these programs to the states, so at least the state that allows massive fraud, it's only their state stax payers. Yes, would and people can leave the state as opposed to all these things being run out of Washington. So I would say that, and I would say bring back, bring back caps on discribtiontionary spending. They're not perfect, and they do get waived from time to time, but at least when we have them on, they seem to exert some downward pressure. So I would say those are the two biggest things that come to mind.
Speaker 2: You know, one thing we used to have, you know, for a while in Washington that worked for a while was pay as you go budgeting. So if you wanted to have a new let's say, supplemental spending bills because you need money for an emergency farmers or for the military, you would actually have to offset that by cutting other programs. But we don't have anything like that. In fact, we don't even have a freaking budget.
Speaker 1: It's amazing. See, if you know, we always used to complain that they would use different gimmicks and timing tricks and different things. Now we don't even bother. Now we don't even try. Now we don't even pretend to pay for things. Incredible.
Speaker 2: Well, Phil Kirpin, thank you so much for your wisdom. That is Phil corpet look him up at the American commitment