Speaker 1: However, I must just get this small Portmanta ready.
Speaker 2: Not being used for so long, these buckles are readfully difficult. Ah there you are, my goodness. Just give me a hand with this battle if you plan.
Speaker 3: What gentlemen.
Speaker 2: The murderer of the Enoch Drebber and Joseph Stangers, they.
Speaker 4: Were always surprised in the adventures of Sherlock Holmes. My name is Watson, doctor Watson, and this was the first case I was privileged to share with him. I've told you how it began, how he developed, and here I will tell you how Shelock Holmes found the salute.
Speaker 3: To his study in scarlet.
Speaker 4: Just the moment to arrange my note.
Speaker 5: Martinique, Tanzania, Dubrovnik, wherever your vacation plans take you this summer. Barclay's Bank International has a special going away present to make your travels completely free of money worries. Barclay's Travelers Checks. Barkley's Travelers Checks are the closest thing yet to an international common currency accepted at face value throughout the world, and with over five thousand Barclay's offices around the world, all strategically located to serve you, they can easily be replaced at no cost to you should they be misplaced or stolen. Best of all, they're free at Barclay's. As part of Barclay's Good neighbor policy. You can get Barkley's travelers checks without paying a.
Speaker 4: Penny extra for commission.
Speaker 3: And when you think of.
Speaker 5: All the places you plan to stay, the things you plan to do, things you plan to buy, that could.
Speaker 4: Come to quite a savings.
Speaker 5: So before you leave the country, come to Barclays for you're free of commissioner travelers checks. Your longest journey can begin with one short step to Barclay's Bank, two o eight south of South Street, Chicago, and the world.
Speaker 4: Inspector Gregson of Scotland Yard had been crying over his colleague in Austrade.
Speaker 3: While he Gregson had acted so decisively.
Speaker 4: In arresting young Arthur Chapontier for the murder of you, Jebba Lestrade, with the mere duty of questioning.
Speaker 3: Stankston, the dead man said.
Speaker 4: For dread had returned two to one bee Bega seet with failure written all over his face. But then Holmes and I had been as astonished as Gregson to hear that he found standers.
Speaker 3: And murdered too.
Speaker 4: The straight had brought a box containing two pills which he had found near the body.
Speaker 3: Exclaiming that at last his case was complete, Elmes wasted.
Speaker 4: No time in feeding one of the poor aging dog, which our landlady had asked us that morning to have destroyed. To his dismay, the effect was nil. With his whole case hanging upon the consequences, Elmes proceeded to grind the only remaining pilloll into some.
Speaker 3: Milk, and watched angstous.
Speaker 1: As the dog drank.
Speaker 4: A poor old chap he worked. I should have had more faith.
Speaker 2: Of the two pills in that bus, one was of the most dead poison, and the other was entirely harmless. I ought to have known that before ever I saw the box at all.
Speaker 4: If I may say so, any delay in arresting the murderer might give him time to perpetrate some fresh atrocity.
Speaker 2: There'll be no more murders, you've asked me. If I know the name of the murderer, I do. The mere knowing of his name is a small thing, however, compared to the power of laying our hands upon him.
Speaker 3: This I expect that it ish want it to do.
Speaker 2: But I have good hopes of managing it through my own arrangements. But it's a thing which needs delicate handling. We have a shrewd and desperate man to deal with at present. I'm ready to promise that the instant I can communicate with you without endangering my own arrangements, I shall do so well.
Speaker 3: I don't know about that, would you, sir.
Speaker 2: I've got the cat downstairs, sir, good boy, let's say it. Gregson, why don't you introduce this pattern of handcuffs and scotton? Yeah, you see how beautifully the spring works. The cabman may as well help me with my boxes.
Speaker 3: Just ask him to step up. Wiggins. Yes, sir Films, you never said anything about sitting out on a journey.
Speaker 4: No I did.
Speaker 2: But however, I must just get this small portmanteau ready.
Speaker 4: What is this, mister Hope?
Speaker 3: Yes, and I really think you wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's not the youth for so love. These buckles are breadfully difficult.
Speaker 3: Let me help you. No, the cabman can do it.
Speaker 2: Ah, there you are, my good man. Yes, just give me a hand with this buckle.
Speaker 3: If you've been.
Speaker 4: What what.
Speaker 2: Gentlemen, Let me introduce you to mister Jefferson's folks, the murderer of Enoch Drebber and Joseph Stankers.
Speaker 4: We have his cab.
Speaker 2: He prefers to take him discussing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Jefferson, hope, I arrest you in the Queen's name for the murders of Enoch Gregord and Joseph Stangerson. And I must caution you that anything you say will be taken down and maybe put in evidence. I've got a good deal to say. You're a doctor, aren't you here the am? Then put your hand here on my chest well as you wish. Well, Well, this.
Speaker 6: Man hasn't organ Nelson.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's what they call it. I went to a doctor last week about it, and he told me if it's bound to burst before many days have passed, and it has been getting worse for years, Doctor Watson.
Speaker 3: He isn't victim.
Speaker 4: You consider there is in Egypt danger?
Speaker 3: Most certainly there is.
Speaker 4: In that case. It's clearly our duty and the interests of justice to take his statement. Will you write it down? Business in less trade? I have cautioned you, and you are at liberty to give your.
Speaker 3: Account, which this opposite will take down.
Speaker 4: I understand. I'll sit down with your leaves by all me.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 4: This aneurism of mine makes me easily tired, and that tussle we had just now hasn't mended matters. I am on the brink of the grave, and I am not likely to lie to you, gentlemen.
Speaker 3: Right I'm ready close.
Speaker 4: He did. It doesn't much matter to you why I hated those two men. It's enough that they were guilty of the death of two human beings, a father and a daughter, and that they have therefore forfeited their own lives. That girls who have married me in America twenty years ago, she was forced into marrying that same.
Speaker 3: Drebber and broke her heart over it.
Speaker 4: I took the marriage ring from her dead finger, and I bowed that his dying eyes should rest upon that very ring, and that his last thoughts should be of the crime for which he was punished. I had carried it about with me and followed him and his accomplice over two continents until I coughed. I died tomorrow, I says, like I die knowing that my work in this world is done. When I got to London, my pocket was about empty, and I found that I must turn my hand to something for my living, driving and riding or as natural to me as walking. So I applied of a cab on in his office. Soon got a blund for some time before I found out where my two gentlemen were living. They were at a boarding I was a camberwell over on the other side of the river. I had grown my beard, and there was no chance of their recognizing me. Go where they would about London. I was always at their heels. At last one evening I was driving up and down torquey Terrace when I saw a cab draw up at their door. Presently, some luggage was brought out, and after a time tebber and stangers and followed it and drove off. I whipped up my horse and kept it inside of them, feeling very ill at ease, but I fear that they were going to shift their quarries. At Euston station, they got out and I left the boy to hold my horse and followed them on the platform. We got near enough to hear what they were saying. Would I tell you there isn't another Liverpool train for hours, So who cares I care? A sooner? We're on a train to Liverpool and getting out of here. My happier.
Speaker 7: I'll be well, Stangerson, we'll just have to wait, won't wait.
Speaker 4: I'll come to think of it. I have a little business on my own to do.
Speaker 7: Now, if you just hang around here someplace, I'll go off and i'll join you later.
Speaker 4: If you go, I'm going with you.
Speaker 3: Will you see this?
Speaker 7: Little Maddy's kind of delicate?
Speaker 4: You will? You'd be in the way?
Speaker 6: Here's that?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 4: Well? Either I go with you or they both stay here.
Speaker 3: You can take it or leave it.
Speaker 7: Revel dear Stangerson, It's about time he remembered. You're nothing more than a paid servant around here. The hell do you think you are trying.
Speaker 3: To dictate to me?
Speaker 4: I didn't mean it that way. How sounded to mean I'll cut it out once and for all. Okay, then, but look, supposing you're not back in time for the train, HiT's the last one tonight.
Speaker 7: Oh, I'll be back here before eleven, and tell you what. If I'm not, we'll meet up again at Halliday's Hotel. Let's suit you.
Speaker 6: I guess it will happen.
Speaker 4: A moment for which I had waited so long had come at last. My plans were already formed. It chanced that some days before a gentleman who had been looking over some empty houses off the Brixton Road and dropped the key of one of them in my carriage. How to get rever to that house was the problem? Handsome in front of mine and he hailed it. I followed it for mile until, to my astonishment, we found ourselves back in the terrace where he had bought it. I went on and pulled up my cab one hundred yards or so from the house. He entered it, and his handsome drove away. Well. I waited for a quarter of an hour or more, when suddenly there came a noise like people struggling inside the house. Next moment the door was flung open and two men appeared. One of them was Drebber and the other was a young chap whom I'd never seen before.
Speaker 3: He armed a teacher dread talking on his g got your hands off me.
Speaker 4: If you're out of this road.
Speaker 3: In quite tenth seconds, I'll mad this. I still across you for your work here with a.
Speaker 7: Walk now, get already, okay, okay, I'm going hey you.
Speaker 3: Dammy has come now. He is a nowadays protel.
Speaker 4: I mean I had him fairly inside my cab. My heart jumped so much with joy that I feared lest at this last moment my aneurysm might go wrong. I was once jam at her and.
Speaker 3: Sleeper out of a laboratory in the State.
Speaker 4: One day professor was lecturing on some alkaloid which was so powerful that the least grain meant instant death. When they were all gone, I helped myself to a little of it. I was a fairly good dispenser, so I worked this alkaloid into small soluble pills, and each pill I put in a box with a similar pill made without the poison. I determined that when I.
Speaker 2: Had my chance, my gentleman should eat have a.
Speaker 4: Draw out of one of those boxes while I ate the pill from From that day I had always my pillboxes about with me, and the time had now come when I was the use was nearer. One twelve, the wild bleak night blowing hard, my hands were tumbling, my company pobbing with excitement. Was not a soul to be seen when I looked in at the cabin, though, I found wherever huddle run and sea, come on ere, come on, wake up, wake up on sight.
Speaker 7: Oh it was wasn't marry time to get out.
Speaker 4: M oh, alright, I mean you better follow metes. Uh is this a hotel? Holidays?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Come along now say it's all up jump.
Speaker 6: M's infernally dark. Say what kind of a hotel is it?
Speaker 4: We'll soon have a lunch just like this camping? Yeah? Now eno, drebber, Oh my, what do you mean?
Speaker 6: I don't no, no, yes, you dog.
Speaker 4: I have wanted you from Salt Lake City to Saint Petersburg, and you've always escaped me.
Speaker 3: But now you're wanderings.
Speaker 4: I've come to an end. No, keep awake. Well what do you think of poor Lucy Betrier? Now?
Speaker 3: Punishment has been slow in coming, but it has overtaken you at last. Would would you murder me?
Speaker 6: Boat talks?
Speaker 3: I'm murdering a mad daughter?
Speaker 5: What am I saying?
Speaker 4: You up on my poor darling.
Speaker 3: When you're dragging her a slaughtered father and.
Speaker 4: Bor her away?
Speaker 3: Wasn't I killed her father? But it was you who broke her innocent heart?
Speaker 2: Let not kind god gas See this box?
Speaker 5: What is it?
Speaker 4: What are they just a couple of kill two deeps? There is depth in one and life from the other. Eyes shall take what you leave. Let us see if it is justice up there or if we are used by.
Speaker 3: Trance, who is we are married? I won't do home, just wild with my bif can say, don't take away.
Speaker 4: I didn't do what I say too. And this way you have an epid defense. Get don't take it in all my knife, no chance for you all.
Speaker 6: Anyway.
Speaker 4: Ali, Now I'll take the other you've got you.
Speaker 5: You're listening to the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes being brought to.
Speaker 3: You from the BDC over.
Speaker 5: WFMT in Chicago, presented by Barkley's Bank International, now offering Barkley's Travelers checks free of commission, offering no charge, checking with a three hundred dollars minimum balance, Offering you always a friendly cup of tea and if you like, for your personal checks. A cameo of Sherlock Holmes imprinted the top left corner Barclay's Bank International at two o eight South Lassal.
Speaker 4: I turned them over with my foot and placed my hand a funny heart. There was no movement. He was dead. The pulses in my temples were beating like sledgehammers. And I believe by what I've had a fit of some sort. It's the blood knocked gushed from my nose, and believe me. I remember the German being found in New York with rash written up above him, and it was argued that the secret societies must have done it. I guess that what puzzled the New York Is would puzzled under it. So I dipped my finger in my own blood and printed it on the wall, and then I walked down to my cap. I had driven some distance. When I put my hand into the pocket in which I usually kept Lucy's ring, found it was not there. It was the only memento I had a thinking that I might have dropped it when I stooped over Trevor's body. I drove back, and, leaving my cap on the side street, I went boldly up to the house and walked right into the arms of a police officer who was coming out. I managed to fool him by pretending to be hopelessly drunk, but I had to go away about the.
Speaker 3: River there. How about sigt Ooh.
Speaker 4: I knew that he was staying in the Holiday's hotel. Early next morning, I took advantage of some ladders which were lying in the lane behind the hotel, and so made my way into his room. In the gray of the dawn. I woke him up and told him he was to answer for the life he had taken so long before. I gave him the same choice of poisoned pills, and he sprang from his bed and float my throat and self defense IE tab him to the heart. I see you got all that, mister Lestrade. Ivery work well?
Speaker 6: Is there anything you like to ask, mister Holmes.
Speaker 2: There's only one point on which I should like a little more information. Who wish at a compass? Who came for the ring which I advertised.
Speaker 4: I can tell you my own secrets, but I don't get other people to crumble. He had no hand in the deaths of those two men, and knows nothing of them. I think we can accept the truth of that graves very welmstones. But now, gentlemen, the forms of the law must be complied with. On Thursday, the prisoner will be booked before the menstress, and your attendance will be required. Left understood, inspector. Until then, I will be responsible for him. Come along if appears, mister Lestrade, we may as well use his own cab. But I'm afraid we've known they did him bribe. It that you'll have to oblige. Oh, never mind, at least a camp I have a cab came along. Hope, let's be moving here.
Speaker 2: What Gregson and less Trade will be furious about his death.
Speaker 6: Well, it was better for the poor devil to die.
Speaker 3: In his soul than on the scaffold.
Speaker 4: His life was hanging worth rid.
Speaker 2: I then say, they won't see it that way. Where will their grand advertisement be?
Speaker 4: Now? How they must have been looking forward to the trial?
Speaker 3: I must admit it have been pretty interesting.
Speaker 2: Never Mind, I wouldn't have missed the investigation for enity. There's been no better case within my recollection, simple as it was import and let me see if I can make it clear now this was a case in which you were given the result and had to find everything else to yourself.
Speaker 3: I approached the house with.
Speaker 2: My mind entirely free from all impressions. I began by examining the roadway, and there, as I've already explained to you, I saw clearly the marks of a cab, which, as I ascertained by inquiry, must have been there during the.
Speaker 5: Night just a moment.
Speaker 3: How could you know was a cab but not a private carriage? By the narrow gage of the wheel.
Speaker 2: The ordinary London growler is considerably less wide than a gentleman's broom. I then walked slowly down the garden path, which happened to be composed of a clay soil peculiarly suitable for taking impressions. There's no branch of detective science which is so important and so much neglected as the art of tracing footsteps. I saw the heady footmarks of the constables. That I saw also the track of the two men who had first passed.
Speaker 4: Through the garden.
Speaker 2: It was easy to tell that they had been before the others, because in places their marks had been entirely obliterated by the others coming upon the top of them.
Speaker 4: In this way, my.
Speaker 2: Second link was formed, which told me that the nocturnal visitors were two in number, one remarkable for a fight, as I calculated from the length of the stride, and the other fashionably dressed. To judge from the small and elegant impression left by his boots.
Speaker 4: What next?
Speaker 3: On entering the.
Speaker 2: House, this last inference was confirmed. My well booted man lay dead before me. The tall one then had done the murder.
Speaker 4: If murderer was.
Speaker 2: Having sniffed the dead man's lips, I detected a slightly sour smell, and I came to the conclusion that he'd been poisoned. I argued from the hatred and tear expressed upon his faith that the poison had.
Speaker 3: Been forced upon him.
Speaker 2: And now came the great question as to the reason why robbery had not been the object of the murder, for nothing was taken. Political assassins, on the other hand, are only too glad to do their work and to fly. This murder had been done most deliberately, and the perpetrator had left his tracks all over the room, and the inscription on the wall was too obviously a blind No, it must have been a private wrong, and not a political one which called for such a methodical revenge. I was a time from the first to suspect that a woman was in some way connected ah.
Speaker 3: Finding the waiting room death set of the question.
Speaker 2: However, I proceeded to make a careful examination of the room, which confirmed me in my opinion as to the murderer's height, and furnished me with the additional details as to the trichinopoly cigar. I had already come to the conclusion, since there were no signs of a struggle.
Speaker 4: That the blood which covered the.
Speaker 2: Floor had burst from the murderer's nose in his excitement. I could see that the track of blood coincided with the track of his feet. Now, as a medical man, Watson, you will agree that it is seldom that any man breaks out in such a way through emotion, unless he's very full blooded.
Speaker 3: It's quite true.
Speaker 2: So I hazarded the opinion that the criminal was a robust and ruddy faced man, as indeed he was quite Now you will remember that I ascertained that when Gregson telegraphed to America, he had not inquired as to any particular point which might.
Speaker 4: Appear to be critical.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, had he left the house, I telegraphed to the head of the police at Cleveland, limiting my inquiry of the sircumstance disconnected with the marriage of Enoch J.
Speaker 3: Drebber. The answer was conclusive.
Speaker 2: It told me that Drebber had already applied for the protection of the law against an old rival in love named Jefferson Hope, and that this same Hope was a present in Europe. I knew now that I held the two to the mystery in my hand, and all that remained was.
Speaker 6: To secure the murderer.
Speaker 2: For all that remained, for it wasn't so difficult. I had already determined in my own mind that the man who had walked into the house with Drever was none other than the man who had driven the cab. The monks in the road showed me that the horse had wandered on in a way which would have been impossible had there been any one in charge of it. Where then could the driver be unless he were inside the house. And my dear Watson, supposing one man wished to dog another through London, what better means could he adopt than.
Speaker 3: The term cab driver?
Speaker 8: So you came to the conclusion that jefferson hope was to be found among the job isn't metropolis?
Speaker 2: Oh brilliant, Quite brilliant, thank you.
Speaker 4: But what made you assume that, having achieved his object, Jefferson's Hope would go on being a cabby? Why he would have been foolish, not too any sudden change on his part might have drawn attention to himself. I therefore organized my street Arab detective Corps and sent them systematically to every cab proprietor in London until they sell it without the men I wanted certainly succeeded.
Speaker 3: But Holmes, how about the murder of the other man.
Speaker 4: Stangerson.
Speaker 2: Ah, that incident was entirely unexpected. Through it, I came into possession of the pills, the existence of which I had already submised. You see, the whole thing is a chain of logical sequences without a break or flaw.
Speaker 8: It's wonderful, remarkable. You should be publicly recognized for this home. You should publish account of the case.
Speaker 4: Well, if you weren't, I'll do it for you. I have all the facts in my journal. The public will know them. You may do what you like that, yes, missus Hudson. Oh, just sorry, down there, missus Hudson, and I'll look at it.
Speaker 3: No, no, I'll have it. Pea. Shall you be into lunch, gentlemen, I fancy we shall thank you, sir.
Speaker 4: I say, listen to this, Holmes, the public have lost the sensational treat through the sudden death of the man Hope, who was suspected to the murdered mister.
Speaker 3: Enough Drebber and mister Joseph Stangerson.
Speaker 4: The details of the case will probably never now be known, though we are informed upon good authority that the crimes were the results of.
Speaker 3: An old standing and romantic fuel.
Speaker 4: If the case has no other effect, it at least brings out, in the most striking manner, the efficiency of our detective. It is an open secret that the credit for this smart capture belongs and Tiler, the well known Scotland Yard officials Mesas Gregson.
Speaker 3: It is expected that the testimonials some.
Speaker 4: Sort will be presented to these two officers as a fitting recognition of their services.
Speaker 3: Ha ha, well Holmes, what about that? Didn't I tell you so when we started?
Speaker 4: What that's the result of all our study in Scarlett to get them a testimodial.
Speaker 5: Martinique, Tanzania to Brodnick. Wherever your vacation plans take you this summer, Barclay's Bank International has a special going away present to make your travels completely free of money worries. Barclay's Travelers Checks. Barkley's Travelers Checks are the closest thing yet to an international common currency accepted at face value throughout the world, and with over five thousand Barclay's offices around the world, all strategically located to serve you, they can easily be replaced at no cost to you should they be misplaced for stolen. Best of all, they're free at Barclay's as part of Barclay's good neighbor policy. You can get Barklay's travelers checks without paying a penny extra for commission. And when you think of all the places you plan to stay, the things you plan to do, and the things you plan to buy, that could come to quite a saving.
Speaker 4: So before you.
Speaker 5: Leave the country, come to Barclays for your free of commission travelers checks. Your longest journey can begin with one short step to Barclay's Bank, two o eight South Lestle Street, Chicago and the world.
Speaker 4: Well, now you've heard part three, you know the ending. It was one of the stories of Shellock Holmes, from the inspired pen of Saratha Conan Doyle. My name, my real name is Norman Shelley ol friend Carson Hobbs played Sherlock Holmes, and I was doctor on Michael Hodwick wrote our script for this BBC production from London, And of course I look forward to the pleasure of your company again soon for more of the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.
Speaker 5: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes has been presented by Barclay's Bank International at two o eight South of South Street in Chicago Ago. Barclays not so much a bank as a