Speaker 1: Super League three sixties Back Lee and John a here, but the sport is not the same without John KEIRR. He loved the game and it shone through as a man, as a coach and in the commentary Box two he coached England, France, or LEFC and Wales. But the cup win for Sheffield is the pick of all the tales. So many players he gave their first starts, a coach and a life that touched many hearts. Rest in peace, John keir who tragically passed away suddenly on the thirty first of May. Welcome to the twenty fourth episode of Super League three sixty, a podcast primarily about the top tier of British rugby league, but we do go in some different directions sometimes. My name is Lee Addison and.
Speaker 2: My name is John Davidson.
Speaker 1: I'm a coach in Australia, johnn journo in the UK. But please read the description or listen to all pods because this was once a very long introduction on this podcast. This podcast been aired platforms including the Ashes, Rugby League, Rugby League Coach podcast platforms, Rugby League Coach YouTube as well, and if you subscribe to those you won't miss a thing. But thanks to our friends at Rugby League dot Com that I've been covering this for us, I've got the table here ready to talk about John. But I think just because I've started with John Kere Rugby League tweet of the week, Matt Newsom, the BBC commentator, said that was hard, cried beforehand, cried at halftime, the montages were beautiful, the game did JK justice take care all? Can you shed some light on this was overnight here in Australia. What was Matt talking about there?
Speaker 2: John? I was talking about the Wakefield WHOLEKR game that the BBC had on TV that Matt was commentating. Obviously, John I think would have been part of that country team. Yep. But yeah, I think that was a lovely true broute for himself at the start. Just yeah, really sad news. I think got a few text messages Monday morning about it and then tried to chase up if it was true or not. But you know the people who sent me those messages, you know, you don't send messages when something right this happens to you. You see sometimes on social media people claiming people have died on haven't, which I don't know why anyone would ever do that. It's just a scummy thing to do. But yeah, it turned out to be true. It just really really sad news, shocking news. The fact that he was comminating at Wembley and you know people around the UK and then around the world would have heard his voice and then you know, less than twenty four hours he'd had a heart attack on the way home. And just a lovely, lovely guy and had such a fantastic and positive impact on the sport as so many times on so many people. You know, I think he's easily one of the best people involved in the game in the UK and he'll he'll be long, long remembered.
Speaker 1: There can't be many coaches who've coached England, Wales and France exactly. There can't be many coaches that have coached Bradford. Hull left c Sheffield Wakefield badly witness and he.
Speaker 2: Was assistant coach at cass and the Mariley and I believe he was an assistant.
Speaker 1: A Wigan for a Wigan under Stuart Raper when I was there. That's how I know John kre and developed a good friendship with him and very infectious personality. Great fella always had a smile on his face when he greeted you. He was he was a tough Onmbray too, So he wasn't, you know, not somebody who just smiled at everything and laughed everything and off. But he was a he was a very very fair person, very fair minded person. And I do remember his wife Dawn as well, so you know, condolences to her and the rest of the family. It's I think the shocking thing is that the nation heard him on the TV the day before. I think the shocking thing is I think there's a picture that was taken on Challenge Cup final day, which I assume would have been the last ever picture of him. I also consume quite often the Total Rugby League podcast on YouTube, and he's been a guest on there quite regularly, and look well quite frankly, I know he's had a few health issues, but tell me a seventy one year old who doesn't or hasn't. So just a real big shock, John, real big shock. And I don't want to be disrespectful to John, but you know, we'll move on with the podcast because we missed. We missed a week last week, so we've got quite a lot to catch up on. And I'm pretty sure John would be more than happy for us to keep on, keep on keeping on, So yeah, we'll just we'll move on to the Super League Ladder and John kears old team Wakefield are in third, but Leed's Rhino's the top. They've played thirteen and twenty points. Warrington have only played twelve and are in second on twenty points. As we record this podcast, Wakefield, like I said, on third with eighteen. Saint Helen's are fourth on eighteen two teams on sixteen. Hull k are and Wigan Wigan sitting sixth spot. Hoo Ky are in fifth. Lee Leopards are on fourteen points. They've played thirteen. Catalans Dragons are in eighth and they're on twelve. Bradford Bulls and cast Tigers are both on ten points and sit on the ladder after thirteen games. In that order, we'll lef C they've played thirteen games and they're on eight points to lose same exactly the same. They sit in twelfth. We'll left seeing eleventh York Nights our second last. They've played thirteen have six points on Huddersfield Giants propping up the table on four points after playing thirteen thoughts on that ladder, John, It's like it's like it's not moving that much really now. It seems like we have two two clear sections, those who are pushing for the six and those who've got no chance.
Speaker 2: Basically, Yeah, yeah, I think I think probably the main movement in recent saying the last months in Hellnes have dropped down a bit and Lee are really pushing up with a few wins, and obviously so a Wigan. You know, they've really turned a corner on the last month. Wakefield have been doing well for a while. Apart from that, I can't really there's this fair bit of consistency. Obviously Harrsfield, Hall of Sea losing regularly. Why Intend have been pretty consistent at the top of the table all season, you know, good a good win for for to loose. But yeah, I don't I don't see a huge amount of change in say the bottom six or so. There'll be some fluctuations, but I think I think I said this in the last podcast, I don't see the sixth changing much except for maybe Lee are the real big chances for pushing in. But yeah, yeah, I can't see a huge amount of changing. I can't see someone coming from sixth and finishing top. Although I'll throw a caveat I think weigan obviously what they've shown. You know, they've they've really turned the corner and they're playing with so much desire and one at the moment. So I don't think you can really I don't. I don't think they'll necessarily finish top, but I think it's it's certainly possible if they considered They've got so many games to make up and teams like Leads that have to lose a lot. But I think they can definitely finish a lot higher than they currently are with and if they if they keep up what they're doing.
Speaker 1: John his job and John's tweet of the week. It was a tweet that you did about Saint Helens. You said it was their third loss from their past four games, and then you linked an article and there's a few there's a few stories around Tristan Sailor staying, Matty Lee's going ab Saints wrote towards and said what to do with Sailor Wellsby Whitby Hastings to get Saints attack clicking. So John time to unleash on Saint Helen's.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not I was an our ladies obviously, I wrote an asked this piece about them. On Thursday night, I was at the game and hey Lee, I think, speaking to a few people who followed the club closer, I think it was quite a surprise that Tristan Sattle has been resigned. Now. It's not an attack on Tristans. I think he's a fabulous attacking player, and I would imagine, particularly these Q Cup days, someone you've seen a fair bit oly. But I think you know defensively, he's not a great defender, and I don't think with Wellsby in that side, I don't think that dynamic works. They seem to have moved Jack around. They seem to have tried to accommodate both them and Saylor isn't a winger. He's not a six. He's a fullback, that soundy position. He can play well wells Wellsby has got a bit more versatility, but I think his best position is fullback. So I'm quite surprised that they re signed him. There's a few other variables there with the spine. Jack and Hastings is off contract. I know Leeds are interested, and Johnny Lomax is off contract as well. Now there's speculation that he'll retire. Obviously, he's had a very long career, a fantastic career, Johnny, and he'll go down as one of Sinahalan's best ever players. But there's a few variables there. And then you've got George Whitby, who I think did really well on Thursday, young half back, but he's not had a lot of games. So there's a bit of flux with their roster, not just in the spine but in other areas as well. As said Maddy Leed's going to PG Chiefs in what eighteen months, and you add the fact that they lost Morgan Ole to the Dolphins this year, it's a bit of a rebuild at Saint Helens. You know, I think there's you know, many many Pete made that job about identity, but I think there is actually I think there's a bit of truth to those words. So yeah, it's a really interesting time at Saint Helens. And I think, you know, I didn't think they'd have a good year this year before a ball had been kicked, and they've been top for a long period and that actually surprised me. But I think they will fall down the pack. I think they'll make the six, but I don't think they'll be there at Old Trafford and I may be wrong, may have it in my face yes again, but yeah, I think there's there's some bigger issues there about how they how their their squad looks going forward. And obviously there's been off field change, hasn't it with the CEO going and other things. So yeah, it's a bit of a flux there at Saint Helens.
Speaker 1: I do find it interesting that Saint Helens and Leeds are both potentially in a rebuilding phase. Leads. It almost appears to have come to them all of a sudden. Saint Helens, they've possibly been in this position for a year or two now. I can't help but think it's because of the addition of these extra teams on both sides of the world. And I think teams like Saint Helens and Leeds would would be able to secure players for the longer term if there weren't more options. Secondly, they would get more of the low hanging fruit in terms of players that they can be first option to sign when, particularly when players are coming over from Australia. And I think now there's a few more clubs trying to beat them to the punch to sign players. I'm sure. I'm sure Leeds for example, wouldn't have minded the Clinel captain for example.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I think, yeah, I think that's that's an interesting point. I don't I think for Saint Helens, I think it's you know, I had that four years whether or buy father the best team in the land, what twenty nineteen to twenty two, and I think they're still sort of trying to work out, you know, how to rebuild from those players going and you know how to move that along, which is never it's never easy. But yeah, you are right. I mean, I mean Cam mc kinness, if I were Sat Helen's I don't think probably leads into thirtem but I think he would have been a fantastic player for two years. But Leeds, I don't think Leeds are in a rebuild right now. But I think next year, when they've got Bradie Croft going, Cameron Smith going, Alenski going Newman going, James McDonald going, Ryan Hall, surely you'd think would retire, you know. I think this year is Leeds year, you know, in terms of winning Super League. I think, but I'm sure we're going to get onto this anyway. Brad Arthur staying is definitely good news for me.
Speaker 1: What we we'll talk about it now. We'll talk about it now. I've got that ability to be flexible. John. So Brad, Brad, Brad Arthur's staying right, and I think he is. I think I'm pretty convinced that if he would was to get the pn G job or the Perth job, he wouldn't be there. So there's every chance that he's run out of jobs. Every chance he was in the.
Speaker 2: Manly job.
Speaker 3: Soft with anyone left with St Georgie Laar, wasn't it, and presumably I mean Dane Young's as he picked up one win or two.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I think I think clearly the St George of the wire job presumably he wasn't. He wasn't going to get it, and he decided, you know, better have one job in the UK than the job, which makes perfect sense.
Speaker 1: But I think Brad Arthur is certainly going to help with signing right in terms of players will want to play under him. So I think that's a real positive leads quite frankly, and all power to them. Look, we've mentioned two of the big hitters. They're Saint Helen's and Leeds and two of the other big hitters are Wigan and who k Are and they met in the Challenge Cup final because we had a week off last week much needed in your case because you were on a stag do essentially the what got me about the Challenge Cup Final aside from the fact that it was John Key's last commentary and whatnot, So I think some of this got lost. But let's talk about the game. How much do we read into the fact that it was such a one sided score line. I know it was close at halftime and you yourself said prior to the Cup final words to the effect of if Willie Peters manages to coach ok Are to this final victory, then we can look at his legacy in a different way. But the exact top as it happened, and with the exception of the World Club Challenge, where I think we all know that if Brisbane had five more minutes, it wouldn't have it wouldn't have been whole k has win big game in Las Vegas that got hammered, and then World Club Challenge is great Tome and then this big game they've been hammered. Are we seeing holes in who k Are Yeah, did you watch this game in Spain?
Speaker 2: I watched about thirty five or forty minutes. Unfortunately, I can watch the whole game and it's entirety. But I pushed back a little bit on that in terms of who care, like in terms of big games, because I think they've shown grandfather last year.
Speaker 1: This year, I'm talking about this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this year. Look, I think they've definitely they've definitely come back to the pack a bit. I think we would talking about rosters and age. I think the issue for Whole k are and they did fabulously well last year. I wrote a piece about this is the fact that they literally have no local juniors and you take Mikey Lewis out of that team, none of those players have come through Whole k Our system. And then you've only got, off the top of my head Linton and Hadley who came from Hole f C. But they are from Hull. Now that's basically an important team of other English players and foreigners. So it's a kind of a moneyball approach and it's very hard to do that and sustain success. Like if you look at all the teams that have dominated Super League over the years, weigand Bradford, Leeds, Saint Helens, they've all had a core of local juniors. You know Leeds it was Sinfield and Maguire and Burrow and JJB. And it's Saint Helens it was you know Roby and Makinson and those kind of players, and a Wigan. They've had a cavalcade and we're going to doing it now, aren't they. Like we just saw in Paris got you know Pharamund and Marsden and Equasy. So I think that's in a salary cap system, you need to have those local dutis coming through because you can pay them a lot less than you pay your your UNDRL imports or your your your older players. So that, for me, I think is the issue. There's a few older players at whole k Are and they you know, there's not a great lot of depth outside their first you know, twenty twenty one, so Willie Peters is going and I think Old Kay can can rebound and still you have a shot at Old Trafford this year. But you add under the lost to Wakefield and you know, full credit to the Wakefield. I thought that was a hell of a performance and there was some very bad refereeing decisions in that game. But yeah, I think have definitely dropped down a perch on the on.
Speaker 1: The ladder, don't. I don't think they've replaced Jared Hargraves. I mean the games I watched last year and well, yeah, but Hard Greaves was head and shoulders above any forward on the field in any game I saw. I know it was his last season. Yeah, I know mclaurum has not been replaced, but I'm genuinely talking about the importance of a front rower to a team, and because they've not replaced him, they're just lacking that bit of bite in midfield that they used to have, in that bit of starch, but also the experience of him and mclaorum in terms of Okay, boys, we're twelve zero down in this game, don't panic, you know, these are the things we need to focus on.
Speaker 2: That. Yeah, I think that's the key bit. It's not necessarily even what they did on the field. It's in training, it's in the dressing rooms. It's that inspirational, tough figure who's had that experience and who knows how to win. And I think those are the kind of players you know when you're in the in the trenches you look to and they inspire you and lead. I think that's probably one of the things going forward that they'll need, and there will be some there's obviously some some turnover there, but the big one is the head coach. You know, what what do they do there? And I know it was it came out in Australia a couple of days ago about Ben Gardner and I think you had the exclusive about three weeks ago on this podcast. You're not a journo, but we'll give we'll give reps to mister Addison about Ben Gardner. But yeah, that's a massive it's a massive decision because well, you could say they've got the building blocks there for continued success with with Morgue and Broadband and Litton and Mikey Lewis that have got a lot of older players there, whether it be Jesse, Sue Burgess, Gildart Hiccu, you know, Whipbread, Rhys Martin's retiring. You know, they I do need some some recruits, so yeah, it'd be an interesting time for them whether they can maintain you know, they've been the best or one of the two best teams for the last three years. But It's very hard to maintain that position, isn't it unless you do have that academy as well. That's throwing out, you know, the next great play because we're just doing that, aren't they? They the academy. I mean it's it's kind of them in Penrith. They are the Penrith of England.
Speaker 1: I mean yeah, I mean Wigan's Academy has been going for years, but it's had, you know, like anything else, it's sometimes you can take the eye off the ball a little bit and it goes from being the ten out of ten academy to a seven out of ten academy. Right, But I think Wigans Academy right now is at the higher end of its performance levels. So I think I think that's a that's a real that's a real, big, big point to make too. Look, we're not on the match report bit of the podcast, but because you've mentioned, because we've mentioned who k Are in depth, because I want to talk about Wigan two. But what we'll do while we're here on who k Are I'll just mention that they've played Wakefield this weekend Wakefield twenty six ok Are twenty four in a close one tries from Pratt, Scott Rourke Stoughton Lino for Wakefield. Lino kicked three goals for Who k Are Lewis whitbred luckily and May scored the tries. Lewis kicked two and Martin scored two goals as well. The big news coming out of this, though, is Darryl Powell has been quite negative about the Captain's Challenge, so he said the Captain's Challenges must be abolished for the good of rugby league. Basically so the game lasted two hours and a lot of that was down to video referee Lee and rush to his time over certain things and quote quoting Daryl Powell, here, we've got to change it quick for the beauty of the sport, because it's a beautiful sport and what we're doing at the moment is taking a little bit away from that. I don't want to be damaging the sport by talking about it in a negative way, but I think somebody has to make a decision that we change it. And then asked whether he thought the idea of the Captain's Challenge was soundber its implementation needed some adjustment, He said, nope, get rid of it to waste the time and also, Fletcher Ender asked us on X is the captain's challenge being used to relieve pressure knowing it takes an eternity to make a decision. Fletcher, Yes, absolutely. I mean some teams just take it to us for a breather, so honestly are they doing the NRL anyway? What your thoughts on Darryl Powell's comments after that game?
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I think it is. It is adding to such a long a long period and I think I think I've said this before. We should have a timer on. You know how long the video rev takes and I think the whole video refereeing the game the Wakefield game yesterday. I think it was the Wakefield game. You know they were looking at offside from a kick, but they didn't just look and everything else was fine on first viewing. You know, he got the ball down blah blah blah, but they went back and checked about four or five other things and it's like no, no, no, the ref on field has said check the onside. If you said check the on side and check the granning and then check those two things, but you don't need to check. You know, three plays before, was the play the ball right? Like it's just it's overkilled by a ridiculous thing. And I you know, I've got my parents staying with me, and obviously I watch they don't watch Super legue. Back in Australia, they watched the NROL and they were they were stunned how slow and how long it took. And it's just the casual viewer, and you know, being in I was at a championship game couple of weeks ago and it was kind of quite refreshing how quick and smooth things were. And obviously the referee decision, not necessarily all the decisions were right, but you just moved on, didn't you. So they need to look at the video referee. They need to look at the captain's challenge. I like the captain challenge in theory, but it is taking far too long in Super League, and the same as the video referee, and they just they seem petrified to get a decision wrong, so they'll take five minutes to review it, even though they've got less camera angles than they're have in the bunker. They just need to, I think, have a timer. Look, you've got this much amount of time to make a decision. Let's get to a decision quickly. If it's wrong, it's wrong. Look, not every decision is going to be right anyway, Even with all the time in the world and a million cameras, you're not going to get every decision right. Aly, you know, there was the Cowboys one on Saturday morning. I'm not sure if we saw where the ball was knocked out by the Dolphins players as he went over the line and they decided to give it a try. I thought that was personally a joke. But that's that's you know, Look, we have different opinions, aren't we. That's that's the beauty of life. But yeah, we do for the product, we do need to speed things up and we do need to try and not add more stoppages. In my opinion, I agree with with that on that.
Speaker 1: So we've spoken about ok Are in the context of the Challenge Cup final and then that brought us to Wakefield, who they played this week. So it's only right now we talk about Wigan and I think what's interesting about Wigan season is they have seemingly used the Cup to reignite their season because their form six weeks ago wasn't crashed hot and now you know a few weeks is a long time in rugby league, isn't it. Wigan racking up some big scores. They've got some of their troops back. Bever and French popped up for the for the Cup final as well. They played Catalans this weekend. Catalan sixteen tries from far tarpe Lepovich, Sarte, goals from Sexton who kicked two, Wigan forty tries from Field and Sember Marsden, Farrem and Warder lecles they Kieran and six goals from Kieran. It was played in Paris and I think that was a potential banana skin for Wigan after winning the Cup. They played it at the home of rugby union outfit start from Say to mark the thirtieth anniversary of Super League as well as the twentieth anniversary of Catalan's debut in the league. And I assume Catalans would have fancied their chances in this game. New coach, he'd have had a couple of weeks with his team and a big, a big poignancy to that fixture and then we're going to have turned up even with a Challenge Cup final hangover. And trust me, I was at Wigan when we want a Challenge Cup final. I know what the what their celebrations can be like. And they've wiped the floor with Catalans as they've gone over there, so we can look in the goods again.
Speaker 2: Yeah they are. I mean I even with the Challenge Cup and the hangover of that. I think Steve Rest Mascot has written a piece for our Patreon about we again and young players don't party like they used to back in shall we Say Our Day? And many Pete has said that impresses before, but I still fancied again. I mean Catalans, I've got a number of problems. They've not played well very often this year, and even with all the emotion of Paris and you know all that, I just I just backed we're going. I didn't necessarily see the score line. I think it would have been a bit closer, but yeah, we can have. I think, as you said, use the cup. I think they started something like they won the first five, didn't they? And then they dropped a few surprising games. I lost the Cardi field, they lost to cast. A lot of people were criticizing them, and they've just yeah, the massively turned the corner. And I think they usually have a they have a bit of a lull later in the season, but they've managed to really just turbo charge themselves and they were they were awesome in Paris. I mean George Marsden, I think it's his is his third or fourth game. I mean, to play with that kind of confidence. The skill he reminds me, I mean, completely different sort of player and he doesn't have that left foot step, but it reminds me of like Brad Fittler back you know when he burst he was a schoolboy playing for Penrith, and then Jack Farraman just you know, I remember when he came in two years ago. I thought, this kid's, you know, so much skill, he's going to be a star. And they've just got the half back partnership for the next ten to fifteen years already there before bevn friend Jenaro Smith go. So I think if you're a Wigan fan, you're sitting pretty at the moment because that production line is looks so good. I mean, Junior December has gone to a new level. Zach Eckersley I think performed that he's on the ability that he can play so many positions. He should be in the world. Scott for me World Cup squad for me because he's so versatile and I just look a very happy bunch. We're a very connected, you know, really really motivated and yeah, just impressive performance again at Wembley as well as in Paris.
Speaker 1: Another one of the big hitting teams at the top of the table. They've got some changes coming up, Warrington snaids, I assume retiring from the game or no.
Speaker 3: No, no, no.
Speaker 2: He's been in talks with I know at least one championship club in Oldham, so I.
Speaker 1: Think he won in Oldham. There's there's no one championship.
Speaker 2: One championship club which is Oldham. I would imagine. I would imagine he's having conversations with others. I think I think he's He's been linked to Hole f C, which I think I'll see may be denied, but I'm pretty sure. Although Warrington told me no decision it had been made yet, my understanding is that he won't be resigned by Warrenton. He'll be leaving Warrington. Obviously, Warrington have signed Bradie Croft and they've got a lot of young halfbacks there they want to give opportunities to. But yeah, he'll be going and I think you know, I think he's had a great career. Marks the debut for Salford at twenty ten and I'm sure he could do a job. You know, you look at the we talk about the player depth in super League. I mean if you're a York or a Bradford or to lose, he'd be fantastic pick up for him.
Speaker 1: Toby King as well, he's off, Where's where's he going? You left for him only he's.
Speaker 2: Going to London. So obviously we don't know what's happening with London next year that they want to come into super League. Theyve been pushing for a fifteen team super League. I'll speak for you here, Lee when I would say that you the same as me, would be against a fifteen team super League. Yes, And I think that's all you did to say. And you know, anyone who watched the hardest field game yesterday, I mean, yeah, Huddersfield they need to be basically relegated. I think that's the only really word for it. So you could see London coming in for them if that's how it works under IMG. But yeah, London, I think you know, it's hard for them to recruit when you don't know what division you're in, but I think Tooby King's a good, solid signing for them for next year.
Speaker 1: Warrington twelve or FC four. Smith scored two tries and Snaid kicked two goals for them. Did you see any of that game, because last or through Baron.
Speaker 2: I was watching the Castleford the League game which was on at the same time, but I did switch over and caught the end of it, and I did read some of the social media and apparently it was one of the worst games of all time. It was absolutely dreadful. And I saw Sam Burgess's interview on Sky and he basically intimated the same thing. I mean, it was pretty honors and blunt and it was an absolute bludger of a game. I mean, Holly of c We've talked about them a fair bit. They had obviously a statement from their owners through the week. They're just a club with big, big issues. I mean, the whole John carter I don't want to go over it again, but the whole John carter I thing was was poorly handled and then they tried to spin it and they didn't do a very good job of that. And I think some of their recruitment decisions have obviously they've got a lot of injuries as well, but I think they've made poor recruitment as well, so that's kind of the chickens are coming home to roost there. And I think Warrington they had I think you and Irwin pulled out right on the day of the game, and I had some spine issues so they had to shuffle around. But yeah, it was just a very poor game. But if you're Warrington, you're just happy you've got the win and you move on to next week.
Speaker 1: Lead Ranalds extend the lead at the top of the table beating Saint Helen's twenty four sixteen. Was that Thursday night, John, was it or Friday?
Speaker 2: It was Thursday night. Yeah, I was at that game. I think when you saw who sat Hans had out with suspensions and injuries, you were like our Leeds to win this game. It was a bit of strange. Acers Helen started really strongly, took the lead, Leeds came back in to do it. It was quite entertaining finished, but there was a lot of errors, a lot of mistakes. It wasn't necessarily the highest quality game, but and Jake Connor lost his head numerous times. But again, if your leads important win. They showed enough bottle to come back and win it at the death and David Klemer with that kind of yellow card which was pretty pervot.
Speaker 1: A later on Bradford Bulls thirty York Knights York York Nights twenty Riley Dean scored eighteen points on his Bradford Bull's debut. Not for Loom. I've got a hat trick for York. Did you see any of that game?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was another one that was on at the same time on Friday night. While I was watching the cast game, I went to watch the highlights on Saturday morning. They weren't available, which is always good on score. But yeah, full credit to Bradford. I think I had a man Aniaker's symbined. It came back and went one and so good on them for you know, another another win in the in this season back in Yeah.
Speaker 1: Castleford fourteen Lee twenty four, a fifth victory and six games fully there on the March. It's just seven into six might not go or eight into six might not go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the big improvers aren't I thought. I thought Carstlefford were very good in this game as well. They've turned a bit of a corner late and looks like they're going to get excuse me, Tyrol Sloan another Saint Georgia Lawara play. Obviously that Ryan Carr would have coached last year. He's been lit with them for twenty twenty seven. But yeah, there was some interesting decisions from the rest. I think Jack Hugh's elbow to the face of one of the players didn't get called. That was a bit a bit harsh on cast. But yeah, it was a good, good entertaining game, very competitive and Leah, they're really pushing up that table lee, so watch out. I guess the other thing.
Speaker 1: When you were saying they're really pushing up that table lee, did you mean Lee as in el double Lee me or Lee as in men as in the Leopards. Okay, thank you. There's no Super League games on Sunday? Is there? Now?
Speaker 2: There's another another Sunday where there's been quite a few I think of late Look yesterday with the Saturday it worked quite well, but the problem is they weren't so I think it was three o'clock. I watched every game. It was three o'clock huvers Field to lose Atjesbrey and I've not seen a crowd finger a figure sorry announced, but it'd have to be one of the lowest Super League crowds for quite a while. I think it didn't look like there was a lot of people at the Flair Stadium. And then the Wakefield game, I'm not sure exactly when it kicked off of it was twenty pas four or whatever, but you kind of each game into the next game, and then the Wakefield wholeal game was very entertaining. Was it was a bizarre game at times, but it was It was definitely thrilling and that that Jpitz offload flick offload for Mason Mino to score the winner with two minutes ago was brilliant. And then switching over to the Wigan game but I think it was like about five or ten minutes in and that was obviously an entertaining game, some brilliant skill from from Wigan, from Marsden and Farm London in SA. But but yeah, I like the Stagger on the Saturday, but nothing on the Sunday, which when you've got three games on a Friday night can being which other it seems a bit stupid to me. It's a free hit a Sunday game, particularly I mean, we're at the point of the season, aren't we. There's no football because the club season's finished and the World Cup, the Fifth World Cup is a week away, isn't it. So the other thing is with the times of the Fifth World Cup, they're not very friendly a lot of them to the UK audience. There's quite a few games at midnight at five am, so three am. So yeah, I don't know the scheduling why there's no Sunday games. I think it's a missed opportunity in my opinion.
Speaker 1: I've which through the score lines and some of the news items just because we've got some real good questions this week. And if you want to get questions to myself or John, John likes someone X, so it's at Johnny D. Davidson and you can get me on X as well at rol Coach on the net, but John's more of an X man. You can email me admin at Rugby League Coach dot com. But say you there's one. We've had here for a couple of weeks. But because we had a week off and we've mentioned already Wigan's academy and we can have a deep dive into these questions. It was Adam, who said highly hope you and John are well. If you had time in the podcast, I wondered if you could discuss Chris Radlinsky's comments around Wigan's struggles retaining academy talent due to the salary cap. My feeling is that some of the club's are counting on clubs like Wigan needing to release academy players because of this salary cap. Why putting the hard graft when we're going are doing it for them. I don't think clubs should just be further incentivized to develop young players. I think they should be compelled to do so as a criteria of Super League membership, I e. Clubs would have to document how they've invested x percent of turnover or broadcasting them into youth development. They could do this in a variety of ways, more talent scouts, improved facilities for academy sides, investment in youth clubs, et cetera. Be interesting to know what you think you go first, John, I mean, now, I've got big history in player development, so I can come at certain angles, but you you will know more about the reality of it. I suppose, yeah, I mean it's a really it's a really good question and thanks for that. I think there's a lot of tenets to it. I think I don't know exactly.
Speaker 2: When there weren't terned for Wigan, it might have been twenty ten or before that, but I think particularly since then, you know, with Sam Tompkins and others, they've used the Kademy not only as an income income source in terms of selling talent to the NRL, but they've worked out that in a salary cap sport, it's kind of vital that you produce your own players because, as I said before, you can play them less under the cap, it's easier to retain them. They're more likely to take less than they can get elsewhere because they feel a loyalty to the club. They feel the connection, and I think we're going to have been for a long time very good at getting those you know, fifteen year olds in and teaching them the wig and way, you know, the culture of the club, you know, a style of rugby league that is you know, distinct to them. And also, yeah, the fact that it just gives you a salary cup advantage now where you can't keep all your players because of the salary Cup. What you can do is you can have them for a period and you can obviously pick which ones you want to keep it which ones unfortunately you might have to let go. But then you bring things through the next generation. And they're doing that, you know, with Marsden and Pheromone and others. And now in terms of the other clubs, Look, the difference is I think a super league is there isn't a huge you know. One of the reasons why not every club has an academy is yes, money because it takes money to fund it and put into it. But also there isn't just the raw amount of players that there used to be. Participation has dropped a lot, so it's not like, you know, there is the playing base that there is in Penrith.
Speaker 1: Or and towns have changed significantly to their their industry has changed. I mean yeh, So to the point about making clubs develop their own I mean there's some areas in old fashioned rugby league areas now where they'd be hard pressed getting a population of people together full stop. Never mind yeah, never mind academy talent.
Speaker 2: The thing is you look at you look at the Wigan Academy, is it isn't just kids from Wigan, you know, You look at Zach Eckers, okay it's from Oldham. You look at who's you know, who's now playing for camera? Sorry camera, You've got morgansm These and Manny Nicholson where I left there from Halifax. Jack Faramond is not from Wigan, he's from Lee. Now you can say that's next door, which it is. But the thing is we're going to identified quite a long time ago that there isn't just you know, we can't just look at the kids in ourtown. We need to look further afield and get the best kids from the country. And other clubs have done this. Leeds have been doing it for a while, Saint Helen's, you know, they've been taking the best kids from Witness for a long time. So that's just there's a shrinking platform. So it's not just as easy as put money into your academy and you all have a Wigan style academy. I think we need to expand the whole participation base first. But in saying that, I don't think you can necessarily tell each club Okay, you have to have academy and you have to put X in it. You know, we can go, we can deep dive for into this. But you look at say a club like Canberra Lee, there some are in the sense that don't have the local juniors. They do have some local juniors and they're very good at picking you know, from the River Arena and timor and like that. But they've also historically always been very good at picking up kids from New Zealand and kids from Queensland and another areas to help themselves and mainly have done the same. There's obviously manly juniors in the manly team like the troboyvich Is, you know, Joey Walsh, et cetera. But they've also historically been very good at getting Kiwi's and Queenslanders, you know, whether it be Batty Vaud and Chris Cloves going back, et cetera, et cetera. So I don't think there's necessarily a one size fits model for every club in every area. You know, Newcastle in Australia and Penrith are going to have more advantages than say Sydney Roosters, and the Roosters don't have many local juniors, but they've been very good at getting Boyd Cordner from North and New South Wales from La Troll Mitchell from what Tara or wherever he's from. You know. So it's not a one size fits all model for me. But in saying that, I think what we're going to do is fantastic and it's a great model, and you know they're reaping the rewards of what they do.
Speaker 1: In my eagerness to get to that question, I forgot the game and you answered the last one with many of the points I was going to make. By the way, but there was a match between the bottom two in Huddersfield to lose. Came over and conquered Huddersfield sixteen to lose thirty six. Huddersfield scored through Greenwood, Flannagan and Gaguy Flannagan to kick two goals, but to lose were too good for them. Ocaine scored too, Ulberg scored just so just Army two, kai Ward Where's what's his name? Ash Old Bolt Sharrock scored six goals. He was playing and that's to lose his fourth win of the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, it was a good win for to lose. I just say Huddersfield are dire lola here. Some of the stuff he did on the field was very poor and they just need Haddersfield. I mean they need I tweeted this during the game and a few people pushed back on it. I said, they need a major, major squad reset. But you know I've written this before. The club needs a whole reset. You know, the people have been running the club for the same people for twenty thirty years, and they keep bringing new coaches and sacking the coaches. It's not the coaches fault. The whole club needs a need.
Speaker 1: To lead them on the championship.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I think I think unleashed them their director for change. They's got them unleashed.
Speaker 1: But unfortunately Jews. But didn't they Yeah, they didn't.
Speaker 2: I heard this a while ago before the latest news about the Shay that they were looking to.
Speaker 1: People might not know that because we've been away for two weeks. What's some news about the Shape?
Speaker 2: Oh that basically Ken Davey isn't going to buy the Shade. There's been some pushback from people in Halffax and with the council there. But there'd been some speculation a while ago that he was going to Buyewsbury Neewsbury Rams and then it would be some sort of York Newcastle arrangement where it Neewsbury became a feeder team and that they would play out of Dewsbury's ground. Now I don't know if that is true, but obviously where they're playing in Huddersfield at the whatever it is, the AQ Stadium now it's not sustainable and Nerewsbury would be another option. But yeah, Huddersfield, there's just so many issues at the club, whether it be recruitment, whether it be coaching, whether it be administration, whether it be marketing. Yeah, and it was My missus watched the game with me and her comment was this is shit and she doesn't want to shot a lot of rugby league. But her on the podcast makes she's more a rude than you with that assessment. She's more to the point these Yorkshire people, mate, they've got no.
Speaker 1: Is the shape is the Shae still in the process of being built because for about twenty years, well no I haven't.
Speaker 2: I haven't been there since the twenty third name World Cup. But no, it's built. It's a bit it's a bit old and antipidated. But Ken Davey has paid for a new pitch, I believe. But the thing is, and you see this with teams in all sorts of sports. If you move out of your home city, you're never gonna you know, we're going to increase your crowds are You're like, you're basically one step towards the grave. So whether they play in Halifax or Dewsbury, if you're Huddersfield, you know it's not good. And you know we've seen that more ricently with shefferd Urgeles. They played at Wakefield, they played at Rotherham, they played at Doncaster and their crowds have just gone playing a drum field which is not even in Sheffield either.
Speaker 1: So you know now what Johnny Davidson does sometimes on Johnny d Davidson on X is he asks for questions of the podcast and then answers them on X rather than getting people to listen to the podcast. But for those who didn't see his answer to Ben, Ben Blackwell asked, with Abdoll leaving his role, is it imperative for super League to get an NRL deal sorted prior to his departure or is any deal dependent on the value of NRL rights our sole before an offer is presented, as I feel PVO will be more ruthless in negotiations if the drags on post ab Doll.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think I think you know a little bit about this as well.
Speaker 3: Lee.
Speaker 2: But from what I've I've been told and also from what I've read, I mean, Abdo was always kind of the safeguard with PVO, wasn't he. You know, I think, PVO, we'll do this, we'll do that, and then Abdo has got to try and deliver it and say, Okay, maybe that's not such a good idea. And I think there has been some conflict between the two of them. But I don't think no, I don't think a deal needs to be done before he leaves. I think my understanding is that the NRL wants to sort out its own TV deal first and obviously seeing how much money it can bring in before getting to super League. I think PVL is still quite keen on getting a super League deal done. But the whole PVL thinks very interesting, isn't it. He wants to be executive chairman, fewer supreme leader.
Speaker 1: Of although he is it everywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I don't know why he denies it, because it's quite clear. I mean, he kind of has been for a while anyway, hasn't he. I think the only really check has been abdo the board, the commission board has been you know. The accusation is that they're all yes men or yes women. But they have to change the constitution, don't they to make him supreme leader. Now I've heard that Paramatta and SaaS are against making him executive chairman, and I think all the clubs apparently need to agree, So it'll be interesting to see how that plays out as well.
Speaker 1: And he also needs both states.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't know. I don't know where the state's in on that. Looking it's not an attack on PVL. I think PVL has done an amazing job run the game and it's grown. But I also don't think giving one individual absolute power in anything in any walk of like of any industry is generally good in a longer term scenario. Yeah, but other people will disagree with that. That's just my own personal.
Speaker 1: JJ Smith asked for our thoughts on the Bray mcdomott podcast with James Graham his view on the Super League versus NRL comparisons and where the game is at the moment, and we both said on exit we had watched it. Well this morning I had a look so Brian mcdurmamt at the brand new coach of England. My thoughts are, I mean, there's a few people raving a little bit about Brian McDermott. He's the person I wanted, right if it wasn't Wayne Bennett for a bit and then Brian Herbert. Brian mcdermotts the one I wanted. He spoke to me exactly how I had to expect somebody given the top job in the country to speak, quite frankly. So he's a better communicator than Sean Wayne. Sean Wayne is a is a communicator. Don't don't be mean Sean Wayne. Sean Wayne communicates and it's very clear what Sean Wayne's thinking. But Brian mcdermot's a better orator basically and and looks at different things, and I I hope he gets an extended run in the job. He also made some good points about the the number of sets it takes to score a try in the NRL versus Super League, et cetera. I thought he was quite nice about su Bully, quite frankly, rather than saying what your missus said about it being shipped one game, just one game, yeah, I I was to answer JJ, Yeah, I mean, I'm glad he's England coach and that's probably the best, the best thing I can say about him.
Speaker 2: So John, I haven't I haven't had a chance to listen or watch watch it yet. I will do this week. But yeah, I mean I think buying m it's a fascinating figure, isn't he with his background, his history, and he clearly can coach. You look at you know what he did at Leeds, what he did landon so it's going to be really interesting what he does with with England. Not a lot of leads and I'm not a lot of prep, but I think he I think he's a decent appointment.
Speaker 1: You can't underestimate time in Australia though, I mean, I know my yeah, personal personal rugby league IQ went up several notches just after living in Australia for two years and coaching at the level of coached that because you get exposed to more scrutiny. You get exposed to more scrutiny from the people who were on your side, and you get exposed to more scrutiny by your opponents, better players that you're coaching against and better coaches that you're coaching against. I remember learning a lesson very early that about how even coaches at lower level study tape and and they caught me out in one game and that I never I never ever made the same mistake again, and if anything, I overcompensated for that. So you know, I think Brian McDermott has done a few years now in the NRL system and it's paying dividends. John Hodgson asks, with the talk about player welfare from the RLPA wire Origin players still allowed to back up and play for their clubs a couple of days later.
Speaker 2: That's a good question. I don't exactly know the answer for that.
Speaker 1: Well I've got an answer.
Speaker 2: Well there.
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, they pay the wages, so so they want outcome. Secondly, a lot of these clubs are actually very good over here at the sports science type things, so assessing where their players are at and and measuring it rather than just going off their Jedi powers kind of thing. Thirdly, younger players tend to be able to back up a lot easier. Fourthly, in Australian culture, as you grow up, there's carnivals where players play day after day after day after day. A lot of Australian kids play two games in one day quite often as well. It's not yeah, yeah, yeah, it's not. It's certainly not frowned upon over here. What will say though, that will that is going another layer or putting another layer onto this as players they want to play. It's the training, it's the problem. It's the training exactly, you know it's there. It's the they would rather play two games a week and have lower training loads than play once a week and have to taper and all this kind of thing. So I think it's a great question because you can understand why somebody might get confused by that. But the reality is training is a means to an end, and it's so we can play the game. And quite frankly, I think there's less players backing up now than used to for for obvious reasons. And I think they've got the balance about right now. I think it's about twenty or thirty percent of players that back up now after Origin in many ways.
Speaker 2: Quick question for it, Lee, have you have you found after you spit after Origin one? Because obviously we're going to we're.
Speaker 1: Going to get to Origin and oh yeah, especially as I've got you on Bainesy eighty three said, I am sensing some conflict when the Ponger incident is mentioned, but he wants to know what the pathways route is in Australia and how it should be structured in the UK, and what would the NRL look to do about pathways if they become a stakeholder. Again, this is a bit of my especial. It was never better than under David Waite, under the and Chris Chapman, when the Sport England guys funded it quite significantly. And the reality is I don't think you need loads of funding to do some of the things that they did, quite frankly, but when it was best, we had service areas. Now, I was only having this conversation with somebody in Maitland. I was near your home, Pats, the other day and we were talking about how Australia is useless at dual use.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So what I mean by dual use in that regard is every school tends to have a sports hall, many of them have a gym, they have fields etc. At three o'clock. They don't get used after three o'clock and then there'll be a club just down the road that's got its own field is trying to raise money for its own gym. If somebody had a bigger picture thought we'd combine all resources. Well anyway, under the service area style of development under David Waite Chris Chapman, I'm talking late nineties to I don't know when the end of it was, but in the tens, not the notice. There were service areas where if twenty players were identified from club, they'd scout the schools would say, well have you seen these two players that aren't on that list, And then I don't know the somebody at the church would say do you know about this player who's not played for two years? But they just pitch everything together and there was committees formed essentially from all facets of the game. Okay, so if you imagine the different people who play rugby league at different levels, there's the amateurs, professionals, the police, the students, the army, the navy, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. So that was the best system and there was a filtered way of doing it and it was all based on evidence. You had to justify your selections. Once nepotism becomes an issue, once bias becomes an issue, then your development system can falter because the best aren't necessarily rising to the crop, to the best to the top. Sorry. Look, that's the kind of thing that needs to happen. It's not a magic pill. It's not a case of they do something in Australia that they don't do in England. The development system in Australia is always changing and I don't think they know what the best thing is and there's thousands and thousands of kids who get missed in this country. It's actually been really disappointing and it's one of the reasons my business exists, which is at Rugby League Coach dot com to tay you if you were wondering. So the reality is in England, all they need to do is find out who the best people are in the United Kingdom capable of playing rugby league, and in a very very very very very layman's way of putting it, they need to give them the option of playing some rugby league somewhere somehow. That's what a good development system is, and then if they're good at it, you identify them and move them up to the next level. I could literally fill a podcast with this, but that's the basic tenants of it. Tenants of it do you want to say something, I can tell your mouth move then I was just going to s.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think that's a big part of it. I think, you know, at the very early level, it's just literally going to schools and giving people the opportunity to play. I know with my daughter, obviously she'd grown up around it but never had any interest or whatever. And then Sheffield Eagles did a you know, came into her class and that would I think it was a tag thing or whatever, and she, you know, she got interested and I took her to a few fit training sessions and you know, to a Super League game and she loved it. So that's how you've got to build that early connection, you know, when they're maybe five years, six, seven, eight, nine, ten years old. You know you've got to start that and then you've got to continue it. So I think schools is a big thing that Australia has got right that England apart from a handful of schools it's rugby league. It just doesn't really exist in the schools, which is a big problem for me.
Speaker 1: Dave Campbell said, possible rule change not another one day. Surely Ryan Hall should have to catch the ball cleanly when stepping all of the touch line to gain a penalty from a kickoff, and he's put an asterisk next to Ryan Hall saying obviously all players, what's it going on about?
Speaker 2: Job? He's referring to Thursday night when Ryan Hood did that from a shun's kickoff. I agree with him. I think you should have to catch it cleanly, not kind of catching, and then drop the ball knock it on as well. I agree with that.
Speaker 1: I still don't know what you're going on about, Hoy said, I saw it in another comment. But kickoffs that are bang on the money but defender steps of legout thus carried out on fall, is that the same thing? Yes, that's the rule nowadays. The kicker has nailed that kickoff in boundaries and should not be punished for it. Credit the kicker, not the catcher.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, I think I think the point is if the kick is that close to the sideline that you can catch the ball with a foot out doing it out, then then that's a mistake by the kicker. So I disagree.
Speaker 1: I think yeah, the fundamental thing about rugby league is different to soccer than other sports. It's not about the ball being over the line necessarily. Is it's about contact with the body? Ashley Harrison asked, and there was attached an AI pick of the referee whose name escapes me. What's his name? Who did the first Test last year and the Grand Final? What's his name? A picture of him in a leash shirt and he said, is this allowed? I think actually needs to potentially work out what AI is.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, I think the whole AI people using AI to make images of players crying or refs in particular clubs. I mean, seriously, give yourself an apple cat. It's you need to get a life quickly.
Speaker 1: And if I do anything wrong on video, it's definitely a deep fake. N RL news Broncos have lost the last five john now they did. They lost fives a grass. They lost five in a role last year around us similar time actually, but what's alarming about this is they lost to the bottom two sides at the time, Saint George Lall Warror and the titles and they were hammered by I'm not saying their name out loud, ro Johnson and New Zealand Warriors. Yeah, what do you make of that?
Speaker 2: I'm not I'll be completely honest. I've not seen a lot of the Broncos and recently I know they've had a fifty injuries, haven't I obviously bolsh, but yeah, maybe they need bus to come back and start slaming them and they can go on their cruise arounds in them. And they've had a lot of I mean, they're arguably the biggest club in the NRL, aren't they. So they've always they always have off field things. But I had that that thing would tell us and their their spin doctor and the naming of the meeting room, and they seem to have had so many off field things as well. Obviously paying hears what's happened there him leaving at the end of the year. So yeah, I think I think the possibility with the Broncers is they can catch fires they did last year. Whether they will or not, I don't know, but yeah, I think it's also a nott of how competitive the NRL is, isn't it, Because I mean, we'll put the West Tigers result today to one side, but before that West has been going fairly well. Obviously, Camera this year have been pretty shite. Last year they were minor premiers. Mainly we're fairly shype. You know, they're a top three team this year. Newcastle very good this year. They've been shype for how many years? Melbourne, I know they've turned a corner recently, but they were you know, they've been one of the premier clubs for ages, but most of this year they've been very ordinary. Roosters pushed back up the fold. Look, I think it's the give and throw of the NRL. The Dolphins have really pushed up. Yeah, I think the narrow is ridiculously competitive most games most weeks, and the Broncos have just not been where they need to be.
Speaker 1: I think it's also a legacy and the fact that we're basically seeing a different sport. I call it the National Ping Pong rugby League because they just sort of tackle and let go of each other and there's no there's nothing sustainable. Really. I think a mixture of the fields being a bit damper. I think a mixture of the players getting more used to it and the rest just easing up a little bit on it a meaning that some of the score lines aren't blowing out as much. But look, I did a quick mathematical thing before we started this podcast, already before the Croneler game today, there was an average of fifty point five points in each game still so so most games add sixty eight, fifty one, fifty four, sixty two, so that there was four of those and then there was twenty six and forty two. So look, it's an unrecognizable game in many ways. You mentioned something about PNG chiefs. Have we covered what what UK based talent they've snapped up?
Speaker 2: I think obviously we talked about it before, about Mary Lee's and the others. Yeah, who want to watch the Jerome Lui?
Speaker 1: No UK based? You said, Yeah, there's.
Speaker 2: There's a few from London Broncos, which I think they're not a fish. Well, there's a few going to Perth, I think, but I'm sure there'll be some more from the Broncos announce. But obviously Michael Chamas and the recruitment manager Lee and Aube were out in England. Michael Chammas did make some comments about Super League. I think it was the word the round before the Challenge got final, saying it was the worst round of super League to see, which rather up the usual people in England saying oh, well the NRL is not as competitive and blah blah blah. I mean, yeah, it's the predictable nature of the response league. The same thing for me is and I don't engage with a lot of it anymore because it's just boring. But a lot of people can't really debate, you know what I mean. It's kind of like, you know, Lee, you said my mum's fat. Well you know your mum's fat. So do you know what I mean? That's the base level that we're out in terms of debate. But yeah, because Michael Michael chamis knowing him a little bit. You know, he's not said that to attack super League or now, you know, just to fire a shot. He's just made an honest comment and then obviously he goes on to explain it in the story, which people wouldn't have written read anyway. But yeah, look, I think what the P and G chiefs are doing is really impressive. I think particularly on the PR front. You know, they're getting all the headlines out of again, all the positivity. You know. I think Willie Peters is a very very good coach. Luke Bert, which are sorried about a Wargo assistant coach? Yeah, you know, the contrast with them in Perth is quite staggering in terms of perception. Aaron Forhm's got the job at Manley. That's going to end in tears. You know you're not happy with that. His eight wins out of ten games, you know.
Speaker 1: Well exactly, well, you've just given him more fuel to the fire. Who did the pre season at that club? John Anthony who put all the staff in place? I would say Anthony Sea Bowl and probably Tony mester Off. But yeah, yeah, yeah, and yes we all could see a better way that man they needed to play. There was plenty of us, look would see that. There's a lot more to coaching than getting a team that's already been that's already been whipped into shape and been given all the tactics, you know, by all measured. All he's done is challenge them to go through the middle a bit more rather than trying to pass around teams, et cetera. He's given them confidence, et cetera. His real challenges are going to come. And I'll compare this with what Manchester United did with Carrick, Michael Carrick. They didn't rush. So if Michael Carrick ends up not being too much chopped now, but now he's the full time manager of Manchester United, him fairness, he United. I think they give it as much time as the cord. Back in the days when Soltshire was the caretaker, they couldn't wait to give him the job. And then after that the players down tools and started to relax a little bit because it was clear that they were running the asylum. And it's clear probably that the players have had some some saying this too. So there's an awful lot more to coaching. Coaching football as a head coach in the NRL is about twenty twenty five thirty percent the job. There's going to be contract negotiations, there's going to be scandals, there's going to be dealing with players who've got issues outside of football. There's going to be so many things, and I just think they they've done this too much on emotion a little bit. I also know Kieran Forum has good third party payments, yes, so I don't know. I don't know if they've done it from a cost point of view as well. And this isn't a slight on care and Forum. He's doing great. I coached him, but the first ever Manly team I was in Australia, he was in that side and I've got no problem with heran Forum, but it is an absolute risk. I mean two months ago we were talking about experienced coaches that have done an apprenticeship. Obviously Brad Arthur would have hoothered around the job too. Now they've given it to someone who's been coaching for six months.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, Look, I fully agree, I fully understand what you're saying, and it is a risk. I think every appointment is a risk. But you are right and that the actual coaching is only a small percentage of the job. And I think they've been smart and that they've taken away the recruitment and negotiations a lot of the sponsor side of the job for him, so he can just purely focus on the coaching. And obviously the players have responded to him. I think with sea Bold, they you know, most Manly fans would agree they should have sacked sea Bold last year. He probably never was the right coach for the club anyway, but he has fear and foren has cut it back. Isn't it just to the basics of you know, run harder, tackle, make your tackles, defense right and he's instilled them with confidence. Now eight wins out of ten games, it's probably better than any Manly then would have envisaged. He's very early in your coaching career. As you said, he will make mistakes. But I think part of the reason they've appointed him is the fact that he's already a much loved figure because of you know, the how he bled for the Jersey as a player, and it's energized the whole community. You know, they've got KFC science being made in his in his visives. So look, time will tell three years down the line whether it was the right choice of the moment. I'm perfectly as a as a many fan, I'm happy that he's the coach and hopefully we can have a tool at the premiership.
Speaker 1: You know, so since our since our last podcast, we've had Origin and you've mentioned it already. Look, my main problem with Orange Origin one and as we record now Origin two squads will be him out shortly. He's the There's been seven send offs in the history of Origin, which is nearly fifty years old. Four of them have come in the last four years. And guess who's done them all, Ashley kleimb And I'm going to go back three years. So in the year that Joseph Suley he got sent off after nine minutes that changed that game. New South Wales was going to game they were never going to well well. And then then in terms of the law of the of the laws of the game, yes, my problem is also with the laws of the game. It's people who don't understand the sport who were making these laws. Right, So hold that thought. The year before he sent there was he did two sendoffs in game one and game three the year after. So last year blew the p out the whistle against Queensland sold New south Wales won in some court, blew the pe out the whistle in game two, so that queens then got over the top of New south Wales in game two. Game three put the whistle away. Game one this year refereed fantastically, but when that happened, he could not wait to send Kayle and Ponger off. Funnily enough, New South Wales were down twenty six twenty points to six at the time and were really struggling. Okay, So that's that I didn't want the game to be decided by the referee. So that's why I'm shitty, because it's been decided by the referee. Secondly, to your point about the law and about the these rules are getting made up by people who do not understand would league, Now, first of all, how much lower was Joseph Suwalihi meant to get the time he tackled Reese Walsh? How much lower was Cale and Ponger meant to go the other day? Yes, his tackle technique was awful. How much lower was he to go? Did he need to dig a hole in the ground and go that low? The people who were making these rules and the people who were adjudicating on these things, not one of them has been an origin fullback rushing across at very high speed. Because Calen long as quick, and so was the cooler who was made who'd made a break, None of them have been in that position in that split second. In that split second, there was a head clash. There was clearly a head clash. Calen pointed to his ear where he had been cut. Now the game changed on the back of that decision. And that is my problem, John, My problem is that our top product that is watched by more people around the world gets fundamentally changed by laws that have been made by people who don't understand the game.
Speaker 2: Was there a question there?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Do you know?
Speaker 1: Am I to assume you agree with me, then, well, I.
Speaker 2: Agree with some of way he said. I mean the game has changed, I think is the simple fact. And because of dimension, because of M and D, because of what we understand about concussions and you know, lawsuits and stuff, the game has changed. There's no fighting. You know, we penalize head contact and attacks to the head a lot worse. And if you look at the pong of one, the fact is, and everyone knows who's ever watched pong of play, his tackle technique has never been particularly good. He literally did it in the Melbourne game on yesterday, but I was no s was a Friday, it's Friday or I don't know of us track of days. And on the colon one, he makes no attempt to tackle. He literally drops the shoulder to the head and that's that's foul play and that you know, I personally I thought he didn't pull the shoulder in the head. It was a head clash. M. He makes no attempt to make a tackle, He makes no attempt to.
Speaker 1: Rap again again again, the speed he was going out, how do you know and how does anybody know that because of the speed he went into him, that he's knocked him so hard that he just couldn't get his arms around in time. You can't simultaneously do it. You can't, perhaps.
Speaker 2: Perhaps for the fact that I think it was Tower who was already had made the tackle and he was basically coming over to wrap him up, and it looks to me and then he's just seen him there and he's gone, bang, I'll just dropped the shoulder and you know, and the chance to to smash him into oblivion now.
Speaker 1: Which is what happens in Origin. So so so everybody nobody bats an eyelid when we have a kickoff and three people smash someone there. He's telling me, there's no there's nothing near the head or anything there, there's no shoulders with.
Speaker 2: This.
Speaker 1: This is this is my this is my problem with it.
Speaker 2: You'd have to refer you'd have to compare it with a specific incident. But look, it's not a for me. It's not a new seth well's the Queensland thing or whatever. But I think the decision was correct as well. And I'm and you so well Spain, and it did change the game. I'm not disagreeing with you. And it changed the game on what was.
Speaker 1: It two weeks ago, because the players are diving now to get these head tackles.
Speaker 2: But that was quite a weird game because I don't think I've ever seen you so well play so badly and almost in the game, Lory.
Speaker 1: Daily can't culture pick to be dirty and your your.
Speaker 2: Man and James Tedesco, who you coach, had the best slash worst game I've ever seen play. But yeah, it was. It was a bizarre, quite quite strange game. But yeah, look, I there's a lot of bit debate about it. You may disagree, but I think it was the right decision.
Speaker 1: Based on the laws of the game. I can understand why. Also, the bunker was saying be careful with this one. Normally, normally a referee listens to a bunk or not our Ashley. Anyway, I can see. I can see we're going to get nowhere with this match. Week fourteen as they call it in Super League Saints Quick quick predictions Saints at home to Warrington, Wolves at the brew Dog on Friday. Three games to lose at home to Leeds Leads, Wakefield at home to Wigan. That's a real tough fun game. That's that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I'm you've got a good record against Wigan. Ricent is, but I will probably just go slightly towards.
Speaker 1: Against two good games already. Okay are at home to York. Okay who left C at home to Huddersfield on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Can we pick two losers? I'll just be job well maybe yeah, maybe.
Speaker 1: Maybe Catalans at home to Castleford.
Speaker 2: I like actually cast in that one.
Speaker 1: I don't mind casting that one. And Halleluliah. There's a game on the Sunday Bradford Bulls versus Lee Leopards.
Speaker 2: I think probably with the form there in manning a bit of a runt. I think I think the Leopards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's been a bumper episode, John, because we had a week off. You can get me adminute Rugby League Coach dot com to tay you Rugby League coach on social Rugby League Coach dot com to tay you online. John.
Speaker 2: You can get me on exit Johnny D Davidson on Facebook, John Davidson, journalist and on Instagram at Johnny d Davidson r L.
Speaker 1: I think before the series on zero Tackles Loose Carry, I was asked for a prediction. I said Queensland three nil or Queensland two. Ashley climb one. I'm sticking with my second prediction, take care of everyone.