Speaker 1: Monster House presents.
Speaker 2: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 3: A giant, very creature party part.
Speaker 4: In Luckness, a twenty four a mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland.
Speaker 1: It's a creature known as the Luckness Monster.
Speaker 2: Monster Talk.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith.
Speaker 5: And I'm Karen Stolsner.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to part two of our two part chat with doctor Phillip Center about his new book, The Real Story of Dinosaurs and Dragons. It's funny how sometimes when an idea is in your mind, you'll start seeing it everywhere, and psychology will tell you that's a kind of observation bias, your brain looking for patterns. This gets even worse when Internet ecosystems like Google scour your emails looking for patterns that might interest you, or when news outlets discover a story is getting a lot of traffic and reporters start posting similar stories, which creates this public feeling that something must be going on, and that's going to be exacerbated even more soon by the advertising arbitrage system, which is forming a deeply lucrative relationship with large language models that can generate hot articles from thin air with convincing photos. We're in for a ride, folks, and I don't think we can stop it from happening, because at present, the ecosystem of content generation has become uncoupled from any value for whether the said content is, for lack of a better word, bullshit or not. I said last week that this is an epistemological war, that there's different ways of deciding whether someone believes something or not, and I come down hard in the camp that values evidence based approaches. But I also believe that people may have a biological reason for wanting simple answers that conform to their existing beliefs. I'll be exploring this in my book about technology. But even if I'm wrong about the deep causes, it is evident in many scientific disciplines and even folk wisdom that our biases always nudges to the answers that fit our existing beliefs. I've never heard it more succinctly explain that in Simon Garfunkel's song The Boxer, when the lyrics say all lies in jest. Still a man, here's what he wants to hear and disregard to the rest, I know people have a tendency to think in terms of culture war these days, and that implies there's two sides and that one will eventually win, which brings me to another insight from my work on technology. People crave simplicity and will take a simple explain nation that feels good over a hard, complex answer that more closely hues to reality. We work on models in our brain, and there's probably no simpler explanation for the magistic complexity of the world we're in than God did it. That kind of naive simplicity is very satisfying for folks who want to believe they understand the world. But it's the kind of simple answer designed to make one stop asking questions and has the big capital letter truth, which is very satisfying to some fold. This isn't a judgment against such people. I'm here today because of such people and because they love me and cared for me. But they're not the kind of people who want to solve medical problems, for example, or maybe they have a hybrid view that includes going to the doctor, but they also pray, and when they finally get better, they curse the thousands of dollars in medical expenses in medicine and they thank the Lord for his miraculous healing. We don't hear as much from the purists who reject medicine entirely for prayer, because on average they end up dead quicker, and that's quieter. But taking the science side of things means acknowledging complexity, and you don't get the big capital T truth there. Even though statistically an evidence based rational worldview gives you more reliable models, science truths are always provisional. Yes, scientists are people and they have their biases, but the methodology itself insists that we have to change our models to comport with reality and not the other way around, and that is hard. But again, the real world is complicated, and many scientists aren't atheists, they just don't have a naive iron age view of the world. Scientists, when faced with a difference between their faith and their evidence, have to acknowledge the evidence. This battle already happen. Literalist interpretation of creation myths just don't stand up to scrutiny. They could be beautiful and moving and poetic and exciting, but they're not useful for understanding the complex process that created the world we live in today. Science tells us with a great deal of certitude that the Earth is billions of years old and the universe even older. And with these evidence based theories, we can make testable hypotheses. And we live in a world with satellite communication and nuclear power, incredible medical capabilities, amazing technologies, chemical insights that have allowed us to expand agriculture and grow our population to billions without starvation. All of these things can exist in a world of faith and a belief in divine care. But we would not have any of this, nor would any of you likely be alive, if our species had stopped with God, did it?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: I guess I get annoyed at creationists because they get all the benefits of this network of interconnected discoveries while proudly rejecting the science that allowed this to come into existence in favor of three thousand year old myths. Anyway, litteralists want simple answers, but the world is not simple. And when they come after the science books, it's a direct attack on the very system that allow us to discover more about the world. And when they come after cryptids and monsters, I can't help but feel us a direct attack on Monstrutle.
Speaker 3: Well, welcome back.
Speaker 1: We're going to continue our interview now talking about the rest of your book and kind of the heart of it, which is how creationists are using dragons to promote anti science narratives. Kerrien, why don't you kick us off?
Speaker 5: Yes, we'll do well. Phil, welcome back, and let's get in the second part of our discussion. So your book refers to dinosaurs being used by creationists as missionary lizards. So can you tell us a bit about what this phrase means and how dinosaurs strategically are employed in Young Earth narratives.
Speaker 2: Well, the phrase missionary lizards, if I'm not mistaken, is the brainchild of ken Ham, who is the head of Answers in Genesis, and it refers to the fact that they can be used as a proselytizing device to sort of bring people to the faith. And the specific version of the faith that Answers in Genesis promotes is one in which Genesis and the Biblical timeline are both taken literally as a historical fact. And if that is correct, then the earth was created about six thousand years ago and all the different kinds of animals were created simultaneously, which means that humans and dinosaurs encountered each other.
Speaker 3: Well to Jorassic Book.
Speaker 2: If we take this to its logical extreme, then maybe, just maybe dragon legends are based on human in count with live dinosaurs. And where it gets very entertaining for me is the idea that fire breathing dragon legends are based on human encounters with fire breathing dinosaurs. And that is just so fun to write about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you actually dig into that quite a bit, So you delve into what we call the fire breathing hypothesis, which ranges from methane vents to electric eels. What's one claim that really stood out to you as wild, wildly implausible but still pretty widely repeated. Which is easy to write but hard to say.
Speaker 2: But one of my favorites is the pyrophoric chemical idea. Now, so far, no younger creationist writer whose writings I have read has used the term pyrophoric, but they describe it the the term Pyrophormit. Pyrophoric has to do with any chemical that will spontaneously cause flame when it's exposed to oxygen. So the idea is, if a dinosaur is producing a pyrophoric chemical from its throat or its nose, then a fireball will emerge from the mouth or the nose, And it is incontrovertible that if a dinosaur did produce or if any vertebrate produced a pyrophoric chemical and great enough quantity from its nose in its mouth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it would produce a flame. The problem with.
Speaker 2: The hypothesis is what happens next, Because if there's a fireball in your nose, or a fireball in your mouth, or a fireball even at the edge of your nose or your mouth on the way out, there are serious health issues that will result in mediately. Just ask anybody who's had facial burns or oral burns. They are They are both clinically serious conditions that if you don't get treated, death is almost inevitable. So if a fire breathing dragon truly existed, it would have had the opportunity to earn its name once.
Speaker 5: Yeah, these are such creative ideas and I always feel like I need to apologize for ken Ham whenever anyone talks about him being a fellow Australian. In analyzing biblical monsters like a Leviathan and Behemoth, how do you separate literary or metaphorical interpretation from more literalist misreadings. And how does biblical scholarship help here.
Speaker 2: Oh, biblical little scholarship helps a lot. If you've studied the Hebrew language, it makes a huge difference, because it is almost useless to read the Behemoth passage in Joeb forty in English. It is the most mistranslated passage line for line in the entire Bible. And the translators did not know what sort of creature the ancient poet was talking about, and they tried their best, but you have to know the ancient context in order to translate those lines correctly, and very very few people are familiar with the mythological context of the Behemoth passage. Thankfully, I live in an age in which translations are out there and interlibrary loan is out there, and I can get my hands on this stuff.
Speaker 3: It's great.
Speaker 2: Some of the Yugaritic texts, for example, from where Syria and Canaan that's kind of the border between them. In ancient times, the city of Yugurt was right in that area, and the the people there left a whole lot of clay tablets with a cuneiform writing on it that in some cases was medical tacts about dispelling demons. And one of the things we learned from those is when you when you dispel a demon, you you you tell it to go to the mountains and stop feeding on this person's energy and instead go to the mountains.
Speaker 3: To feed on plants.
Speaker 2: And you may even specifically mention reeds. And what do we see in the Behemoth passage. He's been banished to the mountains and he's surrounded by plants, and what is he eating grass? And so this is it's a passage about a creature that is of the supernatural variety, that has been treated like a demon or like a dangerous entity and been told go to the mountains and stay there. And in fact, there's another part of the Behemoth passage that says that the animals in the flat areas mock him. It's as if they're going, yeah, and yeah, you can't get us now, you know, you've been banished a way over there. But this has been mistranslated as play, and it makes you wonder why are animals playing. It doesn't really have anything to do with the rest of the passage, but when they're mocking him, now, okay, now it makes sense. And there's other examples to within the same passage that demonstrate this is a supernatural thing. For example, his maker approaches him with the sword, And why would a deity approach something like a crocodile or a or an hippopotamus or any ordinary animal, including a dinosaur, with a sword. Why is God going to fight a sauropod or a hippo. It doesn't make any sense. It's got to be a dangerous supernatural being that only a very powerful deity could keep control.
Speaker 1: Maybe it was a dinosword. Those translations are trinking. I should mention here you have a lot of commentary about this idea of dead varmint vision, which I think is just such a fun term, and it's something that we see a lot, not just in cryptozoology and with the idea here is that people in modern eyes are looking at ancient art and seeing creatures that they think might be real. But it also comes up in upology and people seeing images that artists know exactly what's going on. Medievalists know exactly what's going on, but modern ancient aliens theorists are like, oh, it must be a spaceship. That's not a commet. Comets don't have little people in them, you know, just really misunderstanding the art. But can you talk a little bit about did Varmit vision?
Speaker 2: Yes, Dead Varmit vision is all about misunderstanding the art. It's all about ever having read a book on medieval art and what it means, and then going to medieval art with your brain as a blank slate, and then trying to interpret things without without having a little knowledge beforehand, and then you start to see stuff and it's it's so exciting because it is. It is a great example of this. It isn't a medieval one, but my favorite one is from ancient Egypt. There's these cats, these long necked cats. For some reason, their necks have been exaggerated in length. But the rest of the animal is a cat. It's got a kitty cat head, it's got kitty cat haunches, it's got a kitty cat tail, they've got kitty cat pause.
Speaker 3: It's a cat.
Speaker 2: From stem to stern, but its neck has been exaggerated, and several Young Earth creationist authors are calling it a brontosaurus or some other soropod dinosaur. Obviously they are seeing only the neck and they're not seeing the rest of the animal, which to me is like having a tarantula with a little bit of frosting on it and seeing the frosting calling it a wedding cake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a problem, and I don't know why. I mean, obviously, the concept of abstract art, you know, it's not new. You look at those ancient rock paintings. Those are very abstract, They're very figurative, and they there's nothing quite literal about them. Yet again, in a different field, ufology, ancient aliens that stuff. People were like, look, those must be aliens because they don't look like real people. And it's like, well, you know, some of the stuff that Picasso did doesn't really favor real people. Abstraction didn't develop in the nineteen twenties and thirties. It's been around for human history. You know, it's a hard lesson to tell people.
Speaker 2: Yes, quite a few critters in ancient are are aren't even meant to look realistic. They're they're meant to you know, Well, they have stylization, which the ancients would have understood, their ancient audience would have understood it, but we moderns require some study to understand it. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, this talk of of moments, and I keep thinking of usimity Sam and loony tunes.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's fuck too flopping and slimy farm at this time?
Speaker 3: Or my name made yo semity sound.
Speaker 5: I keep saying creationists as cartoonists, but I dug.
Speaker 2: Gress so well, the level of silliness between the creationist literature and Yosemite Sam is rather similar.
Speaker 5: Oh I'm glad you said that.
Speaker 2: Phil.
Speaker 5: So you write that some creationist authors are using this dragon dinosaur equivalents in grade school textbooks. So how significant is this for science literacy and what kind of misinformation is being taught to our kids?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm hoping very very few people use these particular curricula, but I don't know. I've actually tried contacting one or two of the publishers and asking how how many copies of this are, you know, are in circulation actually being taught, and I could not get a straight answer. But there are at least two different curricula from one from Bob Jones University, one from Pensacola called.
Speaker 3: A Becca Book b E Ka Becca.
Speaker 2: And both of them at least at one point in this century had science textbooks in which they were saying that dinosaurs breathed fire, and they were proffering suggestions as to how the fire could have been produced. Oh let me throw a disclaimer in there too. When I mentioned the textbooks I had the Flaming Dinosaurs, I might have misspoken about a Becca book if I remember right, they endorsed the idea of dinosaurs as dragons without the fire thing. And it was two different editions of the Bob Jones textbook that was advocating the fire breathing. It's sad to see that in a science book. It's also sad to see dinosaurs being touted as the dragons of legend in these so called science books, considering that dinosaurs went extinct sixty six million years ago. So these are the sorts of things that are being taught that.
Speaker 1: Tell me about you know, there are animals that have explosive properties, and I maybe you should we should talk a little bit about how creation is. Talk about the Bombardier Beetle.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, Oh that is a wow capital W.
Speaker 4: Wow is the.
Speaker 2: Word that comes to mind with their their literature on the Bombardier Beetle, which is full of misinformation, but.
Speaker 3: It's so exciting to read.
Speaker 2: Look, all the Bombardier Beetle does is shoot hot liquid. That's it. Of course it's hotter than usual for a liquid that comes out of an animal's body.
Speaker 3: But it's just hot liquid.
Speaker 2: There's no explosion, there's no spark, there's no flame, there's no fire, there's none of that exciting stuff. And yet when you read the younger creationist literature on the bombardy or beetle, whenever the dragon comes up, almost every single mention of it will say either there's a spark, or there's an explosion, or it generates flame. And one one author even said that if these two chemicals met inside the animal's body, it would blow itself to smithereens.
Speaker 3: That's an actual quote.
Speaker 1: It is, it is, I've seen that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, and loony tunes again.
Speaker 2: Right, there's no basis for any of that.
Speaker 3: In reality.
Speaker 1: All it does I accidentally stepped on a bomb of your beetle and it blew my foot off.
Speaker 2: I guess that's what they're expecting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so, I really do. I think that's what they think would happen. Yeah, but what really happened. Sorry I didn't mean to interrupt.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, all that happens is the the the animal has two chemicals that meet inside it its body or very close to the exit and when they meet, they react and it's an exothermic reaction, so it generates some heat, and so when the resulting liquid flies out, it's hot.
Speaker 2: But you know it's not going to give you third degree burns or anything.
Speaker 3: It's it's not that hot.
Speaker 2: It's like if you have a dry leaf nearby, it will not catch fire.
Speaker 1: Uh, it's so not Starship Troopers, it's not.
Speaker 3: Okay, the point, if.
Speaker 2: You're using the Bombardier beetles as a basis for saying, look what animals can do, then the most you could say about what a dinosaur might have been able to do. That's like what a bomber deer beetle does is maybe yack up some liquid that's just extra hot and could keep your hands warm and toasty in the winter. But you know they won't be burned as the the flesh won't be coming off your fingers and there will be no smoke there. I look at the videos of the the Bumbardier beetle on YouTube and you'll see that when the when the liquid comes out, if it's back lit, it ultimately becomes this fine spray that it's rather lovely. When back lit, it's this nice mist but you know there's there's no smoke.
Speaker 3: There's no fire.
Speaker 2: Wow, how coolould cool would that be if there were?
Speaker 1: But'd be fantastic? Yeah, yeah, I mean in sex are well. I mean biology is amazing, evolution is amazing, and and I love you know, we haven't talked about it much. I'll probably talk about it in the intro to these episodes. But natural selection is such a beautiful explanation for diversity, but it needs a lot of time, and so arguing for a young Earth is one way to argue that if it can't be true, there hasn't been enough time. So that which is interesting in its own but wrong. And yes, I think, you know, I get the appeal. That is an exciting world that they live in. It's just not the real world. I mean, it feels like we're What we have ultimately is an epistemological difference for where do you get your evidence and what do you think constitutes truth? And I liked it when we started this show. There was a lot of argument to be had, but I didn't feel like we were in danger of losing to lunacy. And it feels like the rational evidence based epistemology has sort of been subverted, and I think this is just one of many battlefronts where it feels like we're losing, And I wonder what do you think about our chances here? Like is your book? I mean, I think your book is great and be really useful for finding this one particular front, and I hope people pick it up for that purpose. But how do you think about the bigger picture? You know, what do you think it is we're sliding into this pseudoscientific framework all across the world right now.
Speaker 2: Well, if you take a look at the literature of past centuries, and I think you will find that probably the ratio of people who base their opinions on observation and fact versus the the folks who base it on what's exciting and unrealistic, the ratio is probably held constant through the centuries. At least that's my impression.
Speaker 1: I hope you're right. I hope you're right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think it's getting worse. I think it's just staying the same, and we can try to make it better, but I think that's a futile effort. So what we should be doing instead is just giving the other side no excuse and that's what this book is about. I know I cannot convert people who have made up their minds, and I'm not trying to, but I do want them to have no excuse.
Speaker 1: Wow, that is a noble approach. I hope, I hope this works. Yeah, it's it's there's no winning conditions. As as my friend and colleague art friend of the show Daniel Watson likes to say, this is not a task. It's a chore. It has to be revisited constantly. It's a garden that has to be tended constantly. So I thank you for doing some gardening. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it just say so happens at this particular form of weading.
Speaker 3: I just find it fun, So try and stop me.
Speaker 2: I mean, if somebody's having fun at something that that that's an intrinsic motivator. It's very difficult to get them to quit.
Speaker 5: Nice like, did you have any questions?
Speaker 1: Or Oh, I think we can. I think we're good here. I think we could roll into our final question. And Phil, I think I really appreciate your book. It's a lot of fun. It's got some great images in it, a lot of good info, It's well written. Easy reads, not super long. I'd urge our listeners to pick up a copy, go to battle, take this book with you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think most most of our readers are going to be interested in this book. And this has been a really interesting discussion and to look at the two sides of this book as well. But Phil, we've got a final question. We're starting to wrap up the show now and we always like to ask our signature question at the end, and that is what's your favorite monster?
Speaker 2: Oh? There is no contest, hands down. It is Cookie Monster from Sesame Street.
Speaker 3: See it's for cookie.
Speaker 1: That's good enough for me. See it is for cookie.
Speaker 3: That's good enough for me.
Speaker 2: Oh really absolutely? How can you not love those googly eyes, the pupils that just a roll in his head every time he moves. And the poor guy he's he's cute as can be and always hungry. And the reason for that is he has no throat, and so you put cookies in his mouth and they just fall right back out and he never gets to swallow.
Speaker 3: But you know it doesn't stop him.
Speaker 2: He keeps trying. There's you got to admire that.
Speaker 1: Oh you do as I tell my doctor when I go to my diabetes checkup. A one C is for cookies.
Speaker 3: That's and from cookies. That's right.
Speaker 5: Good love that four year old language and the love of cookies. But I think that's the first time we've heard that for sure.
Speaker 1: Sure, Yeah, yeah, he's a great monster though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, And can I share a little bit more about cookie Monster. My daughter Becca was taking violin lessons when she was in well grade school, and the violin cases that they had for these school violins were lined with blue fur. And when she brought this home and opened it, I couldn't help myself. Well I couldn't have, but I didn't, And I said, do you know how many cookie musters they had to slaughter.
Speaker 3: To make these things? And Becca thought it.
Speaker 2: Was funny, but her mother did not, And I found that funny anyhow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you talked a little bit about electric eels and Bobbeder beatles in the book, and I just thought I just was watching. Are you familiar with James Burke's documentary series Connections.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've heard of Connections, Yeah, they did.
Speaker 1: I think the first series started maybe in seventy eight or seventy nine, and then he did a few in the nineties and he just apparently did one like two years ago that picked up the series again, and it's just about connecting ideas. But I did not realize that Volta had used research on electric eels to develop the concept for his battery, which is really fascinating to me. So he looked at the cellular structure of electric rays, not eels, electric rays, which also you know have this you know, vertical column of specialized sales, and he basically duplicated that material form using different kinds of materials to make first dry cell battery, which is really cool. But I mean, evolution comes up with some really cool solutions, and I love it when we were able to use those as inspirations for innovation and invention. I just think that's really neat. So yeah, that's all that would just me rambling. I like technology.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and that is a pretty cool episode in the history of technology.
Speaker 3: It really is.
Speaker 1: It really is. I Well, I'm working on my own book. We'll get that another day. But anyway, Okay, Bill, thanks so much for spending some time with us. Talk about your work.
Speaker 5: Yes, just in closing that, Phil, what are you working on next?
Speaker 2: Hmm, I've got a project in the works that's almost finished. It's a book on taxidermic dragon hoaxes through the centuries, and the title is Bullshit Dragons nice right, these chapter is a different hoax, and it's got it is profanity riddled, so you've got to have a problem with that to read this book. Bullshit is in the title, Bullshit is in every chapter. And yes, I am a happily practicing Greek Orthodox Christian and this would not be a problem at all for my particular perish because the Greeks don't have a problem with profanity at all, even within the church building on Sunday morning.
Speaker 3: But that's really funny. That's really but my family, which.
Speaker 2: Is all Baptists, will look upon the title of the book with a little trepidation. Monster.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to Monster Talk, the Science show about monsters.
Speaker 3: I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stolsner.
Speaker 1: You just heard part two of our interview with Philip Center about his new book, The Real Story of Dinosaurs and Dragons Science Sets the Fossil Record Straight, which details how creations try to use dragons to undermine the science of natural selection and evolution. I hope you'll check it out. Links in the show notes. Oh and there was a well timed new article in New Lines magazine about creationists hijacking Machilley Mabimbay that perfectly lines up with doctor Center's book, so I put a link there for that to check it out. We hope you've enjoyed this episode of Monster Talk. Each episode we strive to bring you the very best in monster related content, with a focus on bringing scientific skepticism into the conversation. If you enjoy Monster Talk, we now have a variety of ways to support the show, all with convenient links at MonsterTalk dot org forwarde slash support. That's MonsterTalk dot org forward slash support. We have links there to our Patreon page as well as a donation button. Another great way to support the show is to buy books from our Amazon Monster Talk wish List, which directly helps us with our research. We love used books very much, so don't feel compelled to buy new ones, and we love kindles so we can share our digital libraries with each other. And finally, without spending any money at all, you can support us by leaving a positive review at iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts. Positive reviews help keep us visible in iTunes, which is a great way to help us find you listeners, and please share our show on your favorite social media platforms. Monster Talks theme music is by Pete Stealing Monkeys. Thanks for caring about monsters and science enough to make this show a part of your life. This has been a Monster House presentation.
Speaker 3: Are they bullshit or not?