Speaker 1: Welcome to Truth Time with doctor Cornell West and Nina Turner. Per usual, we kind of all joy and I mean all joy, and you are here with us on this a day. Today is our teaching, the birth day day where we go deep about events or personalities that have shaped, impacted, shook up our world. And today we're talking about none other than A Jack A. Johnson now john author. Johnson was born on March thirty first, eighteen seventy eight, and he passed away on June tenth, nineteen forty six. He was nicknamed the Galveston Giant. He was an American boxer and African American boxer to be specific, who was fighting at the height of Jim Crow.
Speaker 2: Who doc he really?
Speaker 1: I mean, he messed up the minds of a whole bunch of white folks during that Jim Crow era and even beyond. I think even today he would be among some of the greatest twentieth and twenty first century of boxers.
Speaker 2: If he were alive today, he would.
Speaker 1: Have given many of them a run for his a run for their money.
Speaker 2: So he really became known as.
Speaker 1: The first black man to be a heavyweight champion, to really capture the imagination more importantly of black people who really saw the battles that he was fighting and the matches that he won as really the black community overall, winning winning against Jim Crow, winning against hatred, winning against bigotry, and to be honestly, you know, just winning against white supremacy. So black people really internalized Jack Johnson in a way that I don't think many understand. He was not just a boxer.
Speaker 2: In a ring. He was boxing for the heart, to soul, the respect, you know, giving black people something to really be proud of in a way to say he's sticking it to the man.
Speaker 3: Quite honestly, no, that's very, very real that Jack Johnson was one of the freest black men in the shit of the country. And that freedom when hand in hand with a dignity and respect that he was fighting for not just on behalf of himself, but on behalf of a black folk who terrorized and traumatized. And so when he was knocking white brothers out, that was a triumph of black dignity and black respect in a context because you think of Jim Crow America, the only space in America where black people were treated fairly, it was the boxing ring. But you got one set of rules, you got one referee. Everybody can see it because it is a national and international spectacle. So we finally have an opportunity for what taverage of fundamental fairness. And let's see who wins. And he knocks out the first Jefferies. Then he knocks out his brother, Jeffries. And when he knocks out the old man Jeffries. In July fourth, nineteen ten, as you know, ten black people were killed that night. They were riots of the country of white folk just attacking black folk because they could take the fact that a black man had eaten a white man. That's how deep and sick the white supremacy was then and continues to be in various ways. Now, Jack Johnson becomes symbol as well as literal figure of dignity, respect and freedom and triumph for black folk. And just like then and now, black foolks were hungry for dignity, hungry for respect, hungry for freedom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'sdeed got the hungry for respect, hungry for dignity, and hungry for freedom. So let us I want to rest a little bit on the race riots. We know that the bloody or the red summer, red summer of nineteen nineteen or race riots broke out all over the country at the hands of white people just randomly attacking black people.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was like a disease. It was almost like the spreading of the flu or covid or something like. It was a plague. You know that that and.
Speaker 1: This country does not reckon We go enough dot that is. That's domestic terrorism for you. I mean, that stuff is real. We don't even have to go. We should always reference child of Slavery always. I really personally don't care what anybody has to say about it. You know, I agree with the fact that you know, James Baldwin once said, know from whence you came? If you know from whence you can, it's virtually nowhere that you cannot go. And you can't say you love the tree if you hate the root. That is our reference point. It's not the only reference point in the great magnificence of black people, but it is the seminal reference point in terms of our souljourn in the United States of America. Now we want to go back to the continent, the motherland where our ancestors hail from. That's a whole nother glorious story which I believe allowed us to bear the burden and the beauty of being black, because it is both of those things. But make no mistake, white supremacy and just the literal deep seated hatred for us generally speaking, is attached to that white supremacy and just hatred for no reason. So the race riot. So I bring up bread Summer in nineteen nineteen just to remind people of that. And then let's talk about this race riot, the Johnson jeff Jeffries riot, which I'm sure a lot of people don't know about, probably have never heard of. But as you laid out, doctor, series of race riots that occurred throughout the United States. The African American boxer, the Galveston Giant knocked out, defeated James J. Jeffries and a boxing match termed the fight of the century. They actually called that fight the fight of the century. Wow, that's heavy to put all that on one black man.
Speaker 2: When we come forward, we will continue our teach in that Thursday.
Speaker 1: Today, doctor West and I are talking about the one and only Jack Johnson, the first African American everyweight champion of the world, who did his thing at a time where Wow, it was even more dangerous to do their to do something that he did. Oh when we continue, So glad you're here with us today on this teaching Thursday. We all know that on Thursdays, doctors and myself we go really deep talking about a luminary of people who did not liking themselves to be luminaries. Man, they ain't set out to be luminaries, but baby, did they shake in shape of the world. Or we talk about events, and this gives us the opportunity with you to go a little deeper. Today we are talking about the heavyweight champion Jack Johnson, who fought back boxing matches during the height of Jim Crow. He really set this country on fire. And so doctors, as we were now that we've come forward, we were talking about those Johnson Jeffreys race.
Speaker 2: Riots and.
Speaker 1: The fact that this that riot, you know, it was set off only because Johnson beat a white man fair and square in a boxing match that had rules set up and he beat him fair and square and the white psyche could not take it. And I'm just we wrestled with a lot on this show. I'm wrestling with the fact that they got so upset that they started rioting by being white people against black people because this black man fair and square. This wasn't no street brawl, this was in a boxing ring and he beat Jeffrey's fair and square. And that set white people off. And not only did it set them off, they felt as though, and they acted in this way, that they had card blanche to just randomly start just beating up black people, so that they felt a sense of entitlement, right, that they're always supposed to be on top, that they're always supposed to win, so much so that they go out and stoke violence against black people.
Speaker 3: That's exactly rays, exactly right. I mean the depth of the hatred rooted in a depth of insecurity.
Speaker 4: I mean there's a story right here in New York.
Speaker 3: Right after the white right after the fight, what people were looking at black folks thinking, our hustle, you think you're gonna be out beyond your position.
Speaker 4: Now now that black doubt brother Jeffery. And in a way I wouldn't even call it riot.
Speaker 3: It was a massacre of black people white be right, That's really was, And it was a massive one. And uh, I mean fascinating to me, you know, I'm inn ur Lee of course always viewed himself as an extension of Jackson, and so did so did Miles Davis. You know my great album nineteen seventy one on Jack Johnson. He said it's one of his greatest albums. That he was a boxer too, but he always felt so close to Jack Johnson. When I asked Prince who his grand American hero was, he.
Speaker 4: Said Jack Johnson.
Speaker 2: No way, Well, yeah, he.
Speaker 3: Said, Jack Johnson. This brother's in the most hate, wow, the history of the country.
Speaker 4: And he's a free man. He does what he wants to do.
Speaker 3: Of course, he got in a out of trouble in his personal life, you know, messing with the white sisters. And of course what did they do. They criminalized him, to incarcerated.
Speaker 4: Him, to.
Speaker 3: Lev spent time in Leavenworth for doing what well, for being a free man.
Speaker 4: It was like, it was unbelievable.
Speaker 3: That level self confidence, that level of willingness to do what one wants to do in light of one's conception of oneself is something always had a deep.
Speaker 4: Appeal to the Muhammad Ali's and.
Speaker 3: Princes and uh uh uh and and and and other black men. In fact, also Ralph Ellison, Ralph Ellison his hero, Oh yeah, and his and his letters with with the with the Great uh uh, what's the brother's name, the American I can't even remember his name right now, But but in their letters they talk about how Jack Johnson was their hero.
Speaker 2: Definitely, that's that's amazing. That, yeah, that is something.
Speaker 1: And to hear that Prince, I mean Prince and Jack Johnson spoken of in the same voice that or breath, Wow, that is amade. I don't know that little muggy is gonna have everybody like saying.
Speaker 4: What I'll be murray if anybody murray.
Speaker 3: Ralph Ellison that Jack Johnson is one of the heroes in that in that letters and.
Speaker 1: Their letters and did you you know in your conversation with the Purple One, did he did he go deeper about it or just kind of put it out there?
Speaker 4: Oh? No, Shoot, he talked about the books that he read.
Speaker 3: He talked about the inspiration he felt anytime he was down and out and felt as if he could there was no way that he could make it. He would go back and read about Jack Dohnson and how it was that his brother could sustain his sense of self in the face of unbelievable attack and assault. It's the freedom and of course in some way, you know, the black folk too were very hard on Jack Johnson once.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then Booker T.
Speaker 1: Washington was one of his biggest critics, most well known critics.
Speaker 2: I believe.
Speaker 3: I could I could imagine he looked he much too much for Booker T. More respectability. You know, I'm not gonna be spending time out the club with all this swagger.
Speaker 4: And of course he got his cigar.
Speaker 3: And he got his his new new car every two weeks. And uh, I mean the sad thing is, you know, even when he did get married to the white sister, she committed suicide because it was too much pressure.
Speaker 4: Our family turned, yeah, turned the owner.
Speaker 3: And he wasn't acting right all the time either, but it was it's he he he really had a heavy, heavy, heavy burden, even though he was making a lot, making the.
Speaker 2: Whole Yeah, I stick to endure in the.
Speaker 3: White Box when he was down in Australia and beat Tommy Burns the first time he became champion. Tommy Burns got thirty thousand, he got five thousand.
Speaker 4: He's still making.
Speaker 3: Less money, but it was making a lot of money for that average person was making about eight hundred dollars a year, but still he get five thousand, and the white ca ten third, thirty thousand, and he's supposed to be satisfied and have with his position, and he's the champ.
Speaker 1: Right, So they pay Jack Johnson the champ, the heavyweight champion of the world, of the United States, of the world and the world. And he gets five thousand, and then his white probalyague term loosely received thirty thousand. I mean doct that is a micro column of how black people are treated in this society, continue to get less compared to their white counterparts. That is happening today in the twenty first century. Quite telling the pattern of white supremacy. We can predict the pattern. It's the same pattern decade after decade, century after century, year after year. Is the same pattern. So Jack Johnson, so the white community of that time. So he won the championship in nineteen oh nine, I believe, I think I'm right about that. But the early nineteen hundreds he wins his champion was it nineteen oh eight?
Speaker 2: Was it nineteen oh eight? Nineteen oh eight, he wins the championship, right.
Speaker 4: I thought, okay, six nineteen oh eight.
Speaker 2: Nineteen oh eight.
Speaker 1: White people lose their mind even though he's in the boxing ring, fighting fair and square.
Speaker 2: They lost their mind.
Speaker 1: So massacre and all that kind of stuff because Jeffries was considered what the Great White Hope or something like that.
Speaker 4: That's eight.
Speaker 3: They convinced Jefferies to come out of retirement and not yet Negro, to reaffirm their sense of white supremacy. He goes back into training, gets into the ring July fourth, nineteen ten, and this.
Speaker 4: Great White Hope.
Speaker 3: And remember remember the play, and I think they made a movie out of it too.
Speaker 2: They did.
Speaker 1: I thought it was tall. Yeah, yes, but Samuel l in that movie doc. I don't know why see Samuel L in my mind for that movie.
Speaker 3: Don't remember. That's a good question. Jones was the main character when he played Okay Johnson.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, maybe I'm mixing up movies on that one.
Speaker 2: But yeah, So the.
Speaker 1: White society goes crazy and they want to punish random black people and rain or terror as you said. So Jack Johnson, being the free black man that he was, decided that you know, he any woman from any background.
Speaker 4: That's true, that's true, Willing and Abel, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I might rock that way, and he didn't rock that way, committing.
Speaker 1: The ultimate and I mean the ultimate transgression against white men.
Speaker 4: This is exactly.
Speaker 2: That is still true today. I want to wreck man.
Speaker 1: Our audience reads doctor Francis Crest. Uh, oh my god, welles and yes, thank you dot oh my god.
Speaker 2: The book the book.
Speaker 1: Uh lost the book, doc, But she wrote a magnificent book. And I'm gonna look it up about the white psychology and uh.
Speaker 2: And and and and and and.
Speaker 1: Black maleness and how in the white man's psyche he can never ever get over the attributes of black men. And the audience know who I'm going for. So it's always that fight. That is why when black men were lynched by and large, they were castrated at the same time. That is, and Francis quest well, then she welles Lane, she goes deep into the psychology of that that is still very much in the white psyche to this to this very day. So they go after Jack Johnson because he created the ultimate sin was to be in relationship with a white woman. Notwithstanding they can rape black women at will, they did rape a black woman, particularly during enslavement. Black women were always vulnerable, their daughters, their granddaughters, their nieces.
Speaker 2: Always vulnerable.
Speaker 1: We don't talk a lot about the sexual exploitation of black men. Black men were sexually exploited too, because they had absolutely no control male or female or person. Black persons had no control over their bodies whatsoever. So you got the physical abuse, the raw physical abuse in that you're working them hard and killing them off, working them hard, killing them off, working them or killing them off. So you got that kind of physical you got that physical abuse, you got the psychological abuse, and then you got the sexual abuse.
Speaker 2: Black men and black women.
Speaker 1: And because of the kind of male psyche of not really talking about it in this country, we don't talk about that a lot about how black men are violated. They have been violated, they continue to be violated. They were really violated during that time, black women especially, So so I'm thinking, Doc, you know, is it that guilt that drives them crazy? I mean, they put they put white women on a pedestal, and they a lot of the lynchings, A lot of excuses for the lynchions was they made black men to be out to be stark, raving, mad, a sexual beast and I'm using exact words, and so they violated the precious.
Speaker 2: Womanhood of white women Meanwhile, it is white men.
Speaker 1: Who were doing what they claimed that black men were doing the wonderful, truly magnificent.
Speaker 2: I'd have be well. Did all our research on this, and most of.
Speaker 1: The time it had nothing to do with black men raping white women and had everything to do with black men and black people being successful and uppity and getting out of their station as to why they.
Speaker 2: Would lynched them. But they lynched and castrated them.
Speaker 4: Doc oh, lord lord.
Speaker 2: Almost every time.
Speaker 3: They sold their parts, they sold their parts, and the private parts were the parts that they gained most money. They profited most from that. One the boys about Sam Holes when he's walking down the street and they see Sam Holes's knuckles are being told and does his research and he sees, of course, private parts are the parts that they made the most money of.
Speaker 4: And it was a public spectacle.
Speaker 3: Over fifteen thousand and sick folks were out there to watch the lynching as they then cut up his body and sold various parts of his body. And that kind of thing was not abnormal. See we're talking about levels of sickness. He had levels of pathology. The great E Franklin Fraser wrote an essay called White Supremacy as social pathology came out in nineteen twenty seven, they ran him out of town. It was in Atlanta, Atlanta University came out and they ran him.
Speaker 4: Out of town. This is in an academic journal, and they lynching folk.
Speaker 3: And he just calls it pathology and can tell the truth that he's the one to get run out of town.
Speaker 4: See, this is part of the.
Speaker 3: Scope and breadth of the sickness and pathology. And somebody got to tell about it. Somebody got to be canned about it. Somebody got to be courageous enough to say, this is beyond sickness, y'all.
Speaker 2: And and this is probably some of the reasons.
Speaker 1: I mean, we could fast forward to today, the twenty first century real quick, because we go in and out of history because we want people to understand the relevance. If you want to understand why the criminal the legal system treats black people differently, all we got to do is go back to the root. You know, all of these things are not happening in isolation. And that's what we need people to know. Is connected, all intricately connected. Unfortunately, So it is a pathology. It is a sickness. You know, even when black people were being lynched. I mean they would bring out the whole community then and take pictures and take the photograph.
Speaker 2: They were posed with the bodies. They would even have their babies out there. Doc, they have their little kids out there pose. It was like a community gathering.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah the picture.
Speaker 1: Yes, just you know what, when we come forward. When we come forward, we will continue this conversation. This discussion is teaching really about the great the first black heavyweight champion of the world, the one and only Jack Johnson. He was heavyweight champion from nineteen oh eight to nineteen fifteen. He gave Black people so much pride and he shook the world.
Speaker 2: Yes he did.
Speaker 1: When we continue, you are listening to Truth Time with Doctor Cornell West and Nina Turner. Today is our teaching Thursday Day, and as we do every Thursday, we bring somebody to the four something for you to think about, either an issue or a person. Today we are talking about the Great Jack Johnson, the Galveston a giant, the first black man to be heavyweight champion.
Speaker 2: Of the world. He was all of that.
Speaker 1: He and doctor in your words, he was a symbol of dignity, respect, and triumph. Let's gone point bring that back into the room. He was all of that for black people. Black people were living areousleep through Jack Johnson. He had so many burdens on him. He had to carry ten everything on his back, like pride, like dignity, black respect, but also how white America felt about black people.
Speaker 2: He had to carry.
Speaker 1: Both of those, both of those weights, doc, and those are heavy, very heavy. If you just joining us, please make sure that you download the KBLA so that you can go back and listen to the beginning of this doc. You laid some really good surprises on us that the one and only Prince the Purple One himself Admyer Jack Johns. I can't get over that right now. I just cannot. I can't let it go.
Speaker 4: No, it's it's true.
Speaker 3: But Miles Davis, Miles Davis was so crazy about Jack Johnson. Miles in the state, wasn't Jack Johnson in the world of the white supremacist music industry? Because the music industry is very much like the industry of athletics. You've got some of the greatest geniuses and talents in the industry, none of them making the most money. Because the most money is made by the owners. The most Moneys made. We're in control of the industry. So here Miles coming along, and he is the major figure. I love Training, I love Monk, I love man Lou Williams, but Miles, everybody know what's the great symbol. And so everybody's coming at him, trying to make money on him, trying to getim into the studio, produce albums, so they get most of the money from the albums. And he looks at Jack Johnson as one of his sources of inspiration prints same thing.
Speaker 4: You know, genius in the music industry.
Speaker 3: Most of the money of his albums doesn't go to him.
Speaker 4: He put slave on his he did, doesn't go to him. Ooh no, nothing else.
Speaker 3: Jack Johnson has an impact across time and a generation. I mean, one of the sad things about Jack Johnson was that, you know, he does himself get knocked out in nineteen fifteen by Jess Willard White Brother, and then he goes to jail, comes back, goes back to jail, and he lives another, oh almost twenty six years. And when Joe Louis gains the title in nineteen thirty seven, white folkus said, will never ever have a black champion again. So between nineteen fifteen and nineteen thirty seven, it was all white Joe Louis comes back. But when Joe Louis comes back, Jack Johnson can't say a good word about it, no, he you know, And Joe Louis had to keep an image that was the opposite of Jack Johnson. Never take a picture of any white woman, never say nothing political, never be too a thirty you know, much more quiet him and so forth, and so Yeah, Johnson really didn't give Joe Lewis the kind of encouragement that I would have liked.
Speaker 1: Se was he jealousy, you know, I don't know what it was.
Speaker 2: He's an old man and he's bitterness.
Speaker 3: Or form, and Joe Lewis was trying to keep distance from him because he was just too evocative.
Speaker 4: So it's Joe Lewis's fault part.
Speaker 3: But I would have thought, as an older man with a younger brother, I think you and me young people, you want to do all you can to encourage them, no matter how different they are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he had to carry a lot. I mean, I'm gonna lean towards the Galveston I'm just gonna lean towards him, just given all that he had to go through sometimes different pressures. So black people as a whole are always under pressure, but there's certain times in our history where that pressure cooker.
Speaker 2: Is higher, higher than other times.
Speaker 1: And I would say that Jack Johnson had to endure the highest level of the heat, you know, telling how he was feeling.
Speaker 2: Now, that doesn't mean that I.
Speaker 1: Agree with everything that you said in terms of him being the elder in this situation, and he could have been more magnanimous than he was.
Speaker 2: But my god, all that he had to endure in his lifetime, you know, sometimes you just don't think, you can't think straight. You know, we're all human.
Speaker 1: Everything that he had to carry in every black athlete to a certain extent, even to today, still have to carry the burden and the beauty of being black judged differently, different set of rules. If they make a mistake or they act out, you know, society comes down harder on them, even to this very moment.
Speaker 4: You know, Oh, Nook, no, you're absolutely right.
Speaker 3: But you remember there's a brother named Frank Chiles who was the greatest black boxer. When when Jack Johnson was young and he was he took Jack Johnsons under his wings, taught him the science of boxing encouraged him, and finally Jack Johnson beat Frank Childs. But Frank always viewed him as somebody he could pour the best of him into Jack Johnson and went through a lot too.
Speaker 4: But he's still poured put into the young brother.
Speaker 3: And the thing is, it's important for older folks that just keep pouring. We got to keep pouring into these young folks, no matter how confused they are, what we think, they off the wall, are different than us and so on.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean. That's how you keep the tradition alive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do that. Then you gonna have to remind me of that.
Speaker 1: I'm probably gonna be a little like Jack Johnson looking at some of these younger people sideways.
Speaker 4: That's not true.
Speaker 2: I mean I'm a mentor.
Speaker 1: I pour into young people all the time, but sometimes I get in my feelings about what in that, what y'all do?
Speaker 4: What is going?
Speaker 2: What is going on? What is going at Homes?
Speaker 3: He poured into Larry Homes. Homes was a young brother. He picked up on the camp boxing and practicing. Next thing, you know, knocking muhammadad out in the ring, world champion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know, we we go lift up brother Muhammad Ali, and there is only one Ali.
Speaker 2: So we will on one.
Speaker 1: Of our future teaching Thursdays talk about float like a butterfly, sting like of me, the one and only Muhammad Ali. All of these athletes, in their own way, some really put a lot on the line. Jack Johnson is certainly one of those people having to be that kind of symbol.
Speaker 2: So I want to go back to the so the whole.
Speaker 1: You know how he was vilified not only for what he did in the ring, but how he comported himself personally. But you know, he a free man. He should be able to comport himself as long as he not violating anybody. She should be able to walk around and do and date and marry whoever he wants to date and marry.
Speaker 2: But oh no, that was not so. I just want to go back to that dock.
Speaker 1: On October eighteenth, nineteen twelve, Johnson was arrested on the grounds that his relationship with Lucy Cameron.
Speaker 2: Violated the Man Act.
Speaker 1: I need our listeners to understand that this government, this is the United States of America, created a whole a whole rule changes similar to what we see going on right now.
Speaker 2: See all this stuff is connected.
Speaker 1: They change the rules of the game. So the man acts briefly transporting women, they might as well just gonna put white women in there. But transporting women across state lines for immoral purposes.
Speaker 2: The nerve, the nerve, doc, I mean the nerve. You know, my grandmother would probably say more nerve than the brass a monkey.
Speaker 1: The nerve transporting women across state lines for immoral purposes. Do you know how many black women were transported across the Atlantic Ocean.
Speaker 2: For immoral purposes? The nerve, the nerve, doct.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, that's it. They arrested him. They arrested him due to her being an alleged prostitute. So now they have made the white woman a prostitute and said that the black man was transporting her across state lines.
Speaker 2: For moral purposes. Basically, they was calling him a pimp.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 2: Changing the rules because this man beat.
Speaker 1: Them in the boxing range that I don't know, you do something with it.
Speaker 2: Oh you know what that we got, we got we gotta come forward. When we come forward, I want to hear what doctor Wells's gonna do and what we just laid out. You're listening to truth, Tom.
Speaker 1: They is teaching Thursday one of our favorite days, doctor West, and ask myself, we really love doing our teaching Thursdays, and we know you enjoy too the feedback that we get about teaching Thursdays, so we really do appreciate you. Today we're talking about the heavyweight, the first African American heavyweight champion, Jack Johnson, known as the Galbleston Giant. He was born in eighteen seventy eight. He went to the ancestral plane in nineteen forty six. He was heavyweight champion from nineteen oh eight to nineteen fifteen. So that we were talking a little bit about the Man Act and how the white power structure changes the rules of the game when black people are gaining, you know, and I'm using the word gaining loosely because use the four hundred years would have been had been done to us over time. I don't even know we ever will catch up, but but we oft to try, you know, we really want to try.
Speaker 2: So the Man Act.
Speaker 1: Lucy Cameron, white woman that Jack Johnson was in a relationship with, they created a whole act saying that he was transporting women. It was illegal to transport women across state lines. For more purposes. They made Cameron a prostitute and basically him a penmp. So, Doc, that's that's how we left.
Speaker 4: What say you, I'll tell you Yeah.
Speaker 3: Because the Man Act itself, supposedly when it was first established, was trying to keep track of the interstate trafficking of women, specifically women involved in a.
Speaker 4: Certain kind of slavery.
Speaker 3: They used Act against him in part because her parents said that it was against her will. When they asked her, she said, it is not against my will.
Speaker 1: My crazy because she was a black man, so she got to be crazy.
Speaker 3: They said, what other category could we use Chile that we raised, namely crazy because she fell in love with Jack Johnson, John one of the most intelligent, charming, stylish, smiling brothers you ever want to meet in your life. Ain't no doubt about that, just like Miles Davis, just like Prince, just.
Speaker 4: Like Muhammad Ali.
Speaker 3: Now it's not granted, you know, it's gonna be a whole lot of women who fall in love with Muhammad Ali, Prince, Miles Davis, because these are lovable brothers.
Speaker 4: Ain't no doubt about that. They very lovable.
Speaker 1: Attraction to power, The attraction power is attracting.
Speaker 2: It's a magnet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we still got these situations going on to this day.
Speaker 2: We could do a whole teaching you know what, not Tiffany.
Speaker 1: You know, my Tiffany was was you know, her significant other was you know, ventured into professional athlete world and in football, and some of the stories that Tiffany shared with me about these women, it's real, you know, not not to say that some of the athletes don't take advantage of women who are attracted to this. However, tif tiff got me straight on it. She said, straight up, it's an industry where women deliberately Okay, they owned the prow. They absolutely owned the prow. You hardly listening to True Time with Doctor Cornell West and Nina Turner. We are engaged in our teaching Thursday, lifting up, Lifting up the life and the legacy of the one and only Jack job.
Speaker 2: Today on our.
Speaker 1: Teaching Thursday, Doctor West and I were talking about Jack Johnson, known as the Galveston a Giant. He was the heavyweight champion from nineteen oh eight to nineteen fifteen. As Doc has laid out, he certainly was a symbol of dignity, respect and triumph for black people who were living out all of their hopes and their dreams through this man in.
Speaker 2: The boxing ring.
Speaker 1: He reached the height of prominence during the Jim Crow era, which every era for black people is tough, but Baby, that era was a hard era. As he defeated white men in the boxing ring, the white world lost their minds and they took out that vengeance on the Black community time and time again, and the system itself found a way to try to stop halts, slow down, and even destroy the Galison Giant. But he held up strong doc through it all. In our remaining moments, just what of an incredible light? He was an incredible human being. He was not perfect, most are perfect, but he came and he was that symbol that black people really desperately needed.
Speaker 2: At that time.
Speaker 4: That's exactly right.
Speaker 3: And he showed that black excellence is always a threat to white supremacy, that black freedom.
Speaker 2: Doctor, you say that? Can you say that one more time? Black excellence is always.
Speaker 4: A threat, always a threat to white supremacy.
Speaker 3: Black freedom always a threat to white supress and black dignity is always a threat to black.
Speaker 4: To white supremacy.
Speaker 3: And that's why that Jack Johnson, this princess, the Miles Davis is in their excellence, tied to dignity and freedom is subversive to any white supremacist order, and that's why they often occur.
Speaker 2: And always being in the pressure cooker, you know.
Speaker 3: Oh lord, yeah, oh lord, yeah.
Speaker 1: And even now how black people have internalized how we must comport ourselves. But it's also a survival it's a survival mechanism.
Speaker 2: Too, that's been passed down.
Speaker 1: That's right, because you would get killed, like physically killed, mouth off. You couldn't look white people in the face. You had to cross the street, you know, get off the sidewalk.
Speaker 2: If there were sidewalks, move out the way.
Speaker 1: Any white person, regardless of their age or station could call your boy or girl and if that that instinct to protect and defend yourself rapped up, you could be killed.
Speaker 2: They were killed, many were killed.
Speaker 4: That's exactly.
Speaker 1: So we had to comport ourselves a certain way, we had to dress a certain way, We had to be extra just to survive, just to survive, doc, that's that's something.
Speaker 4: It will.
Speaker 3: So you don't have to gilling you to be attacked, assassinated. You could be Jack Johnson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could be Jack Johnson. That is it. That is it. I want to. I want to, John Carlos, Yes, all of that. All of that well, in the words of the immortal.
Speaker 1: Jack Johnson, love is the answer at least for most of the questions in my heart.
Speaker 2: Why are we here? And where do we go? And how comes so hard? I'll come.
Speaker 1: It's so hard that Jack Johnson the Galveston a giant living from eighteen seventy eight to nineteen forty six, was the heavyweight champion from nineteen oh eight to nineteen fifteen.
Speaker 2: All of us owe a great.
Speaker 1: Debt of gratitude for the courage, conviction, style, and gifts of the one and only Johnson. You've been listening to Truth Time with Doctor Know What's and Nina Turner. We want you to live on purpose, live your purpose, and remember always the titles are good, the purpose is better.