Speaker 1: Welcome. It is time now for our community connection right here on K one, the one you trust and like. We do about this time every month we talk to our friends from cry County Tech and we have Miss Heather with us today and Heather, it's great to have you on board. We've got something exciting for summer coming up.
Speaker 2: We sure do you. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: You're welcome. Now. Tell us a little bit about the Steam Camp and we all know it gets hot, but it's not that kind of steam.
Speaker 2: No, but it does get pretty steamy. Are out there?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Bet so.
Speaker 3: Steam is our science, technology, engineering, our arts, and our math.
Speaker 2: That's what it stands for.
Speaker 3: And we run for the first three weeks of June and have third graders all the way through ninth graders come out and enjoy a week of Steam Camp.
Speaker 1: Now I understand that the young younger portion of the demographic, they are gung ho and ready to go.
Speaker 3: We have an amazing turnout for the third and fourth and then the fifth and sixth. Are are almost at capacity for those two age grades.
Speaker 1: We still have room.
Speaker 2: We have a little bit of room for those those age rooms.
Speaker 3: Yeah ok, yeah, Now seven through ten, seventh through ninth, Yeah, through nine.
Speaker 1: That's that's the one where we have some opening.
Speaker 2: You know, that is the age group.
Speaker 3: I have a son that is around that age, and usually when summer hits, they think, oh, I can sleep in, play some video games, and uh, you know what's what's a week of still getting those kids up, getting them out to Steam Camp and getting away from the video games just for a little bit and enjoying some hands on activities.
Speaker 2: It's a really great time.
Speaker 1: Well, it is tell us a little bit about the different types of classes because it's wide, that's a big spectrum.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So for seventh and ninth grade, we have we are offering nine camps. We have our chef camp, actually eight camps, I'm sorry, eight camps. Chef Camp, which is always a big popular one. They get to cook, get a lot of hand on skills, learn how they're way around the kitchen, come home with a nice cookbook of different recipes.
Speaker 2: And then we have our coding creators.
Speaker 3: Those are our ones that love video games, so they can learn how to program some computers. And that's a little bit more out of my realm, but they have a lot of fun. Joshua Stewart is our instructor for that and he does a great job.
Speaker 2: And then we have our robotics.
Speaker 3: They build robotics and at the end, I know, it's pretty cool and at the end they have a lot of challenges and it can run those robotics and do a lot of games throughout that, so that's fun. We have our science, which I'm really surprised that not many kids like the science or want to get into that, but it is one of when they take it, it's one of their favorites. We do a lot of hands on experiences. And one of my favorites is they take our Steam Camp shirt because everybody gets a shirt at the end of camp and they do a reverse tiedie on that shirt and it's a really cool design. They get to design it and do a reverse tied eye on that T shirt and so that's a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Now, science it's so practical because once you have a little bit of scientific knowledge, yeah, you've got pretty much clear pathway to figure out problems moving.
Speaker 2: Forward, moving forward, a lot of debasis.
Speaker 1: It's not all science, but the methodology. Yeah, you'll find the truth in a lot of ways.
Speaker 3: And our instructors for that make it so fun and intriguing.
Speaker 2: And the kids.
Speaker 3: I tell you, we get a lot of feedback that they had a lot of fun in our science class, so.
Speaker 1: Your whole life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And that's the one I like to visit most often because I know they're going to be doing you know, making goop and slime and all kinds of stuff. So that's and they made homemade bubbles one year. So they do a lot of fun things in the science class.
Speaker 2: And then we have our art.
Speaker 3: Art is always one of the favorites, you know, making that creativity really starts to stir around, and kids really.
Speaker 2: Enjoy enjoy the art. Engineering. That's when we're bringing back this year.
Speaker 3: We didn't have that one last year, and it's one of our most popular.
Speaker 2: Ones is the engineering class.
Speaker 3: And they get to to build mouse trap cars.
Speaker 2: And they do amazing things.
Speaker 3: David is our instructor for that and he does a great job for the engineering.
Speaker 1: So it's like creativity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, building bridges, how to how to build a bridge is designed and built, so they do a lot of that.
Speaker 1: People take that for granted.
Speaker 3: There is a method to that, and and you know a lot of math and science, but you know, our instructors make it fun and and a lot of hands on so they don't feel like they're in class and doing you know, math and science and they're doing things hands on activities.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: And then we a new thing we're having this year is baby City and for our seventh and ninth graders, they actually get certification and for STAATEE and CPR.
Speaker 2: Wow, and that's big.
Speaker 3: They'll get their actual CPR car hard and learn all those you know, the first aid basics and CPR which is something that a lot of times parents are looking for when they're looking for a babysitter. We're going to help them learn how to promote their babysitting, how to you know, get it out there, spread the word that they're babysitting, what's the going rate for babysitters this, you know, now, help them create a flyer kind of a business plan, and how to get the word out that they're you know, they're newly certified in babysitting. So that's a fun one that's that's coming up and I can't wait to see that one.
Speaker 1: That is going to be cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we have a couple of our childcare teachers that are going to come out from our E L and Step up and teach that class. So I'm so excited about this one. That's kind of been my passion. So I'm excited about the babysitting class.
Speaker 1: My goodness sakes, this is going to be a fun month of June.
Speaker 2: Is going to be It's going to go fast, and it's going to be a lot of fun. I can't wait.
Speaker 1: Okay, now we've set the table. Yeah, how do we get the ticket? How do we play the card? How do we get our child en roll?
Speaker 3: So you're going to go to our website at Tri County Tech DIEDU and it is on the very main page. You're going to click Summer Camp and you're going to register there and you have until May twenty fifth. That is our deadline. That is our hard deadline.
Speaker 2: It is coming up just about a week away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we need to know those ones that your your child wants to come into.
Speaker 2: We need the T.
Speaker 3: Shirt sizes, we need all of those things so that we can get our supplies ordered and get our our teachers all ready to go.
Speaker 1: Now, how do you like that you send your kids off to get smart? Yeah, and they come back having fun and a little bit brighter that I mean, that's.
Speaker 3: That's a two for get them out of bed, get them away from the you know, the video games for a little bit, and enjoy it.
Speaker 2: It'll be a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness sakes. And of course out there at the Try County Tech, beautiful campus, thank you, beautiful facility. Every time I go out there, I'm amazed. Yeah, because you know, you see the building from the but once you go on the inside, you're like, how do you fit all this in here?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: It is is beautiful, it is. It is engineering, yeah, very strategic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you had great use of space. And I got to tell you, your whole staff out there is just wonderful. I've had the playsure to work with them and then observe them while I'm at different functions, and it's wow.
Speaker 3: It is like a fan fantastic place to work. It is a great place to work. I've been there for twenty one years, so it's pretty fantastic.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, you guys won all kinds of awards for just being cool, haven't you.
Speaker 3: Yes, we've won multiple awards, Baldage Award, you know, best place to work award.
Speaker 2: We're pretty proud of that.
Speaker 1: Very good and you keep adding things on all the time. And now we've got the kids who can go to Trick County Tech while they're still in high school. Yes, and getting them introduced to, you know, learning a little bit more than what's on the blackboard with the steam classes, that's awesome. Yeah, So if your child might be a little bit timid, this will be a good glass breaker for them.
Speaker 3: You know. And what I like about the seam camp, especially the seventh through the ninth graders, and they get a little bit of about what Tri County is and what they're going to see.
Speaker 2: If they do enroll into one of our programs all time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they'll like it. You've got it.
Speaker 2: Takes a visit, as they say it does.
Speaker 3: You'll be hooked once you step foot into our doors. You'll fill at home.
Speaker 1: You will, you very much will. So once again, the website is Trycounty Tech dot e d U, Yes, and you'll find it.
Speaker 2: All the information you need is right there, easy.
Speaker 1: To navigate, folks. I can do it, and I'm sixty five, so it's okay, it's okay. It's good. If you're a grandparent, you can take a look there and then maybe a whispering mom and Dad's here. You know Junior and Sissy just might do well with this. We'd appreciate that kind of encouragement too, because they will do well with this. Yes, oh oh my goodness, sakes anything that we might have missed.
Speaker 3: The only thing I want to just shout out to our donors that have helped because we have offered scholarships to some students and girls. Talk Tech has offered some scholarships to some of our girls in the community. Barzew Education Promise has donated, and Play for Burke Foundation has donated Truity and our.
Speaker 2: Tri County Foundation as well.
Speaker 1: All the cool kids. Yeah, oh my gosh, that is great. Thank you for coming out.
Speaker 2: And busus, thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: You know, every time we have someone from Trick County Tech, it's nothing but good news. It always is. And folks, you've been watching and listening to our community connection right here on K one, the one you trust