Speaker 1: She's such a beautiful shade of blue. I'm gonna call you blue Well at the whale.
Speaker 2: Check it out world's biggest, aren't it far? You just made above wading four finger discount dude.
Speaker 1: Welcome to four figure discoup where this week we're going to be squirting a whale Hondano. I didn't realize we're going to be doing that this episode. Okay, but I'm ill prepared. But I'm guy, yes quite in the whale. We I've already actually reviewed this one with Mitch many moons ago. Someone paid one hundred dollars for us to specifically review this one, really, and I remember liking it a lot more when we did it back to then this one here, I want to review it now. Maybe it's because we've been doing a lot more season twenty one episod. I'm seeing more trends of things that I don't like, in particular characters and sort of plot points and beats and whatnot. I saw a lot of that in here as well. There was a lot to enjoy in this story, but also a lot of it when I just went why are we doing this? As well? Just sort of pick a lane and say in it, well, yeah. I mean this does feel like, oh, we had two ideas for episodes, but we couldn't quite flesh them both out. So let's take let's go so far with one and then let's move on to the other one with the two stories for you then, so it's like, okay, well, energy costs too much, let's get off grid. How can we do that. Let's get a wind turbine comic Shenannigans ensue there's too much wind. Ah, Okay. Then it does happen a lot in the Simpsons, though, where they have just a bunch of shit happens in the first act that leads to the main story. But you really didn't really feel like an inciting incident. It felt more like an It felt four than and insight. I don't like it when they waste too much time on that setup career. Go ah, so that's not the that's what this is going to be about. Okay, Yeah, that's what you That's what you got the feeling the episode was going to be about. It's like, yeah, an energy centered episode. I always lost a living kind of stif I go back to the Tremopoline episode where you know, a good the first third of the episode is home of getting this trampoline and turn into a theme park and kids get injured and blah blah blah, and that all leads to the self help guru voiced by other books coming to spring But it's like, ah, so all that has nothing to really do in the episode. Yeah, I'm gonna have to revisit that episode, which is one of my favorites. But yeah, the whole trampoline bit with felt like really two or three scene, No, it goes it's the entire first act. Really, Yeah, that's theeropoline and yeah, and then he gets it and people get injured and all that kind of stuff that feels like, yeah, it's like maybe five minutes of the episode or something like that. I don't know, maybe they have been the act of seven minutes. Okay, time has no meaning anymore. Yeah, but then there's a storm, Whaler's beached itself and yeah, the rest of the episode is just that and Least's reaction to it, and I guess the community is reaction to it as well. The Springfield community is reaction to it. Yeah, I felt odd. I feel like this could have been almost like a mini movie plot just if handled correctly. If it was just focusing on the whale because to feel like there's a lot of things I needed to explore there that they didn't have real time too, because I don't think we really had enough time to be emotionally connected to this whale. No, And that's the thing I mean thinking about this episode and thinking about this particular sort of plot line about the whale beaching itself, and it seems like the community comes together in some way. The first tenet of reviewing is review what it is, not what it's not. But I was looking at going, well, here's how I would have done it, or here's how this could have been better. You have it about Oh this terrible thing. Here's a whale, one of God's wonderful creatures. It beats itself. This is really sad phenomenon. Oh you know, we're all all the community rallies behind it. Got to get it back in the ocean, all this kind of stuff. But then once it's like no one seems to care. Yeah yeah, but it's this is kind of a lost cause. And then everyone's like, Okay, well back to our normal lives. And Liasa is the one who can't let it go because Lisa is very sensitive. It's like, I think you could do a whole episode around this. I think it would be not a very special episode in quote marks, but it would be like one that has more heart than laughs. And it's an opportunity for again for Lisa and Homer to kind of bond because you know, he doesn't always get it right, but he recognizes how important this is to her and how much how deeply it's affecting her, and he wants to help in any way he can, but his time, so he fucks up. They sort of do that, but they don't really do it all that well if you ask me, because we've reached the stage of the game we're in season twenty one. Homer's not being sort of a well meaning clot He's just being a fucking dummy. Yeah, and that same with a Bart character as well, well yeah, yeah, and yeah, and Bart's being just not a brat but a capital Letter's brats and kind of yeah, a little psycho and all this kind of stuff. And I think, as I'm saying, I think I like this more because we will in midst like season nine or ten or whatever. When we were reviewing this one originally, I think because I'm seeing Bart so often lately and homos so often lately being this dummy, and Bart feeling like he's pointless, and see me in here, I'm like this shit again, where it wouldn't have felt as wrong when I only saw it just once. It's like, oh, I'm not being beaten over the head with it. Yeah, And I mean I think there's the potential in there for a harsh but valuable lesson in that this was tragic, but life kind of has to go on, you know, and some people just can't let it go and that really sort of lingers with them in this case with Lisa, and what do they call it blueller the way, Well, yeah, I was annoyed that no one really besides Homer like comforted Lisa in the loss of the whale, like bar should have gone, ah, yeah, I made fun of Lisa. I probably should say sorry. And I know there's not really much humor in there, but you can find humans in it, oh absolutely, But it just felt like there wasn't they expected us to feel this emotional connection to this whale. Now this I actually really liked when she died and you can't hear Lisa cross, She's just you can see that she's sobbing, and it's the pan wide shot, right, But then it just cuts them just we're gonna blow her up and we're gonna turn her into corsets. And it's like, okay, but this all right? Now apparently the blowing up the whale is based on a real incident. Yeah, yeah, yeah, but I don't know. It's terrible being sort of a Monday morning quarterback here. It's like, but there must have been better ways to fold all this into into the story. I mean, I'm just going from that principle of like, yes, here's a tragedy that affects the whole community, but one person feels it deeper than everybody else. And yeah, and it gives father and daughter an opportunity to sort of bond. It just feels like you kind of fumble. You're so close, but you find kind of fumbling in a lot of way. They're trying to go for that real emotional endyway. She's like, thanks for not letting me give up, Dad, And I was like, yeah, this really wasn't earned, no, b Yeah, you've got a wave just conventos up. I've got a boat that I've borrowed from the boat shop. Hey, let's go stop these sharks. Oh shit, I've fallen in the water. Now hey fuck those hippies. I don't know, but just the whole. So it cust to Lisa and she's and she is sitting in what would have been where the whale was sitting right, just the whole there in the end, I'm like, where's the whale gun? They didn't blow the whole corpse up. They blow a chunk of it off well, so they were able to move the corps where but they couldn't move it away when it was alive. Yeah, maybe you've got to break it down into Pattie Wheat and elvint one pace of a time maybe, But yeah, what are your thoughts on the design of the whale? It didn't look like a Simpsons character. It looked No, it looks pretty sort of not photorealistic, but different animation, didn't it. The Simpsons characters look like Simpsons characters. They don't necessarily look like people. Yeah, whereas this whale was like, go like a whale. I just think the whole opening act it should have been an episode in itself. Right, talking about very alternative energy, I think they referred to it right. I mean, this is kind of the episode where you get al Gore in or something to provide the message. Yeah, but you know, generally is like we're trying Sola, We're trying wind. You know, mister Burns is trying to sabotage everyone. He makes a little cameo appearance at the but I want to touch on that, and that annoyed me. It annoyed me. But that story, so the whole point it was it gets that. It was to get to the fact that there's a storm and a whale is beach as a result. Right, you didn't need any of anything that came beforehand. It was just wasn't not just Bart saying hey God, oh Homer, I'll make a deal with your order one of the kids. I think it was Bart because he's on top of the windmills, I make a deal with you or whatever, and God creates a storm and I'm like, wait, what non, Why did we have to go through all this to get to that? I think the episode should have started with them like, you know, a packed beach. It's a summer day and everyone's like having a great time, and then something happens is like, oh, irony massive storm. Now ruined there somebody. Everyone run runs away and they come back the next day. Oh, it's nice mother again. Let's go back to the beach and there's a whale there. That's it. Yeah, And you have some people are like, oh my god, this is terrible and something, Ah, you're ruined my good beach day or something like that. Yeah, and I have people saying and then listening, No, this is not the whale's fault. It's the storm's fault. We had to help this scene. They're like oh. And then that's when the towns people work together and they realize or we can't. We're trying, we're trying, we're trying. And then he has like Professor Frank or someone who's intelligent, go, you do realize that the chances of this things are very grim. And everyone's like, oh well, boys, let's go back to mos and a list you can't give up. And Homer's like torns, like come on home. It's kind of mos. He's like sees Lisa and he's like, I'm gonna stay with my little girl. There's your story. It's all there. It's all there. But the mister Burns sing, why annoy me? Right? Why'd annoy it? So if this was season we can't compare it. It's not season five, seasons six, Simpsons season twenty one. But why would Burns be at this convention? The mister Burns that we grew up with be at this convention doing a silent, peaceful protest by himself. There's being a lot of protest being and kind of ineffectual, making no difference for the sake of a sign. Gag, Right, It just this screams to me like a writer's room, knowing no one in the room either saying, haven't thet gus to say? But why would Burns be there? Or maybe it's just the case of who cares? Who cares? Because mister Burns, the character who know on love would be either you know, trying to using his power and he's money to shut this thing down the whole not sitting there walking buses with the little sign. It's like, that's not mister Burns. Yeah, that's not what mister Burns would do. Yeah, if you're gonna have whipping Smither's holding it or something, that's what I was, or have him like on a big screen or something. You know, he's like a board all the airtime to say keep poisoning the earth, make me money something like that, but just walk him. I was like, just the sign sign, No, it should have been the sign herself was funny, but mister Burns doing this stupid Yeah, it should have been Smither's yeah. And the other thing that kind of was it was the writer. It's almost acknowledging that they've ruined this character. Season twenty one, the Ned Flannder's character is ruined, ruined in my opinion. Howso well they have him pull out the power the fans right from the Simpsons. They say your fan pair club has been shut down, and I was like, you can't do that, and then he's like, you used to be nicer. It's like, yeah, he did used to be nice. And that was the whole point of the car Do you felt sympathetic towards because you were a jerk? And Flanders always would give in and go okay. He used to come out and say, how would he really to use all those fans, shut up flanners, whatever, and that was the joke. Now Flanders sticks up for himself and it's like it's not funny anymore. It's kind of like when a fat comedian loses all their weight. You're not funny anymore. You were funny because you were fat, you know, like you were funny because you were a simpy. You're funny. You were funny because you were not pathetic, but you were just so nice to people. And I get their characters need to evolve, but they don't actually evolve, many of the characters and the simps, because they are stereotypes and they are there for a specific reason. Well that's the thing. I mean, we all enjoyed when Smithers, you know, when Smithers failed, you know, and he oh no, when they when they built him his house and it was ship that was Hurricane Eddy. Yeah, Smither's flanners, yeah yeah, and he has the tirade. Yeah, sorry, didn't say Smithers. Yeah yeah, yeah yeah, and he goes right, I can't Levin got in tangents. But yeah, why is the episodes so great because it runs counter to h to what Flanders used to be yet or he normally was. Yeah, you make you a really good point about these characters. You're betraying what they used to be, what they brought to the table, they brought to the show. I put the death of the Flanders character. You can pinpoint the second when it happens was the death of mord Flanders. Okay, it was good for a I'm sure publicity stunt. It was their way of getting back at Maggie Roswell because she didn't she wanted to pay increase, or she wanted to be able to voice from home, or there was some specific reason a contract dispute, and they're like, well, she's not coming back, let's kill off one of her characters. We'll get we'll get, we'll get a rating out of it, right, And it made for an interesting story for the Flanders character at that time. You know, oh, he's going to be single now, blah blah blah. But it feels like going forward, they just didn't know what to do with the Flanners character anymo, because he couldn't go back to being the Flanners he was anymore because he's had such a such a terrible incident in his life and it quick questioned his faith and all this other, all these other things. It was a fun episode to dove into who he is his faith in the way he questioned it in that episode, But going forward, he's not. He sticks up for himself now, and that's good. Right, it's good he sticks up for himself. But from a comedy perspective, it kind of sucks. How is any of this funny? Well, this is the accentainly wasn't the fan club blame was? But so when Homer says, used to be nice, and I was like, that was the point of the character, and you've stripped that away? Yeah, I didn't see when that line was uttered. I'm like, this is all you're coming up with. That's not it's just you acknowledging as a writer. I am this character used to be better, used to be better. The Flanners character is done. There's no point to him. Now what is the point of the Flanders character? Now we'll keep we'll keep an eye open and see what happens in future episodes. But yeah, based on this episode, it's like, I can't recall the last one had a good Flander story, nor do I. And it takes me back to when we spoke to Harry Shier and he says, I realized Simpsons wasn't the Simpsons anymore. I can't remember what it was specifically, but it was a Flanders line and he goes, I said, they gained me the script and I'm reading the script, and Harry said. I said to him, Flanners wouldn't say this, and they said, it doesn't matter, it's just just read it, and he goes. I realized they were no longer writing jokes for the characters. They were writing jokes and just assigning into a character. Even that's when I was like, this isn't the Simpsons anymore. Sucks to hear that, but it's true though, when you've gone through, when you go through chronological order and you start seeing the deterioration of these characters. Harry was he not to right in the head. These jokes don't aren't written for specific characters anymore. It's just let's just write jokes and go, oh, you haven't had Flanders for a while, throwing him in there doing it. There's not a bit in here that annoyed me as well. Oh my gosh. Okay, So they're having a debate, we need to find the town's smartest men, right, and they're doing the tug of war with their heads, and Lisa says, I'm not really sure any of these people down there can be considered smart. My doctor Hibbitt's there, Who is there? Principal Skinner is there? What are we doing these ones? These were ones the boss, the most intelligent people in Springfield, and they're they're fucking They're demoted the point of their having tuger war with the likes of Lenny and Carl and Homer with their heads. We're sacrificing, you know, character integrity for the sake of a shitty one side gag, side gag and Lisa's I don't think what do you? Lisa is no longer thinks are poop smart? And the only thinks doctor doctor Hibbert is not? So he's doctor Nick? Now is he? Just? Why couldn't Why could that not have been doctor Nick? Well? Why not say? This doesn't strike me as very smart as opposed to Yeah, yeah, the situations at the end of your d could be sid as smart. It's like Poo's probably the smartest guy on Springfield. You would think so, right, A lot wrong with this episode. It's just little things that shouldn't mean so much. But as a lifelong Simpsons van, you watch this and you go, why have all in this rega? Yeah, because this episode could have been could have been so much more heart When you're critiquing it, get there's a difference between just watching something and being entertained and critiquing it. And if you want to critique this man, there was a lot to have about it. I just have to get off my chest. I was just annoyed by it. I'm glad you did. You did my favorite. Do you have any favorite moments in the episode. I would probably watch Tic Tac toe X the O Okay, yeah, I would probably pay money for it. No, All my time is Mexican prison movie idea has some good points. It feels it feels like a nineteen ninety seven action for cool and flu. You'd have them what's the dude, Danny? Yeah, in there, get the villaing of throw a few bucks down his way. He'd be just at it, just about anything. I like how I get a bit of you'd appreciate this at least watching House. Yes, yes, I have now the house formula. Did you see the tweet? Yeah, Hugh, Laura is getting getting a bit stucky. He admittedly had a couple of lies. Yeah when he wrote that, but it was just we tried getting it right the first time. In the MBN said we didn't like it. As it was finishing sixth minutes and I'm like, I get that, but like more people need to understand. What I quickly gathered was this show is not a bin show. It's a you watch it once a week, you carry on with your life, you come back to it, your you like this formula. But watching his formula back to back to back becomes my numbing Oh god. Yeah, I've said this more than months in this podcast that my relationship is a very MUCHO sentence. My relationship to Gilmore girls change forever. When I watched a whole bunch of episodes back to back, it's like, oh my goodness. Oh it sucks when you can see the formula like you see also but boom, Yeah it's our rhythm and pacing is this way, this way, this way, or you know. I had a weekend was like, you know, it's good those Borne moves, Jason Bourne. I'm gonna watch the like, oh these are all the same movie. Yeah, it's just fine. Yeah, they go back to back to back. You're like, ah, yeah, it's like I'm born out. Yeah a little bit. Yeah, damn shame. I Nicol and I now have a game. We watched Lauren Order and we're watching like there it's called Laura Order twenty one. I don't real had a ten year holiday. You know this? This so Lauren Order. Right. The original Law and Order started in nineteen ninety, but then it was like they started doing the whole Digwolf universe, so it was like Laura SVU. We watched it and I was like, previously on Laura Order. I'm like, what what do you mean. It's like you have to watch this Law and Order specific episode to know it was going. You're talking about the more recent ones like laur and Order Organized Crime. I no, no, no, no, So they do do that with organized crime, but this one specifically was a Lauren Order episode, right, Yeah, And what happened was in like twenty eleven, Law and Order stopped the original show and it returned in twenty twenty one as Law and Order twenty one. Wow, it's so bizarre. That's because yeah, the original stop, but SBU kept going. Yeah, so season twenty stopped in like twenty ten or whatever. So then when it was twenty twenty one, they called it Laura Order twenty one, but it was actually season twenty one. Wow. It was so but we're watching it there. We have a game that we watch it and in the first five or six minutes, we'll watch it and it's the first one you can go it was that guy because you can always tell they sort of they introduced into the episode. They have like a little throwaway line. You're like, I'm going to see you later. It's going to be you somehow, and it's the same formula week to week, and it's just like, ah, you know what. That strikes me as especially heinous. Nobody can watch SPU without saying that, Yeah, but you watch Law in Order though, And because we watched so much SPU, the Law and Order opening bit is different and it just frozer, where's the heinous we need? We need to the gag I liked, Yes, at least watching house was my second bit. I also liked the mentioning the at the expo and he says that you get tax curdit for this and you haven't paid off in like twelve to eighteen weeks. Halftimes, we have the solar panels on the roof and they're almost paid off. It took us like I think six or seven years. And now it's like if you get a battery, you don't just send it back to them. You saw the power here and you just use that. I'm like, let's do it. Oh absolutely, yea, and actually where he's out better for us now we're actually saving money. Yeah. Oh yeah, No, soul is great. Yeah. We if we if we do stuff between eleven AM and three pm, it's basically free. So we do the washing, we do the dishes, we do anything that's between eleven and dish washer I mean, is between eleven and three it's free. I do the dishes, and you know it's free because I don't use the dish washing and you don't get paid in calmer points maybe anything you enjoy. I like the Boston Legal shout out sort of the whole I like, yes, that wasn't legal. Yes, I never watch Boston Legal good stuff. Yeah. We started watching it and then it got taken off the streaming service we were watching it. We're like, oh, no, is it not on Disney Plane. It must be on It wasn't Disney Plus when we first watched it. I think we're watching it. I think it was on Netflix at the time or something. Okay, next question you there eating the paste trivia time. My first question for you, mister Davis is what did mister Burns is infamous science saying, oh, it's something like justice for Earth poisoners and fair to Earth poisonous. I'll give you that one. Okay. Then my first question, you Homer wants a churo that you can eat? Where the shower? The shower? My next question is the tic tac toe xpa. Who are the two characters in the movie, Romeo and Julie X Yes, whales on the T shirt is an acronym for what. Oh no, I didn't actually pay attention to. What was that? We helped air leave. We we helped airlift Lisa's enormous soulmate. Okay, that's the members of Operation Desert Ocean. I actually thought that was quite a good twist. It was. Yes. I initially thought, oh, okay, then they rally behind, but then I realized that there's a bit more to go on this episode. Where did they go from here? And my final question for you is how many sharks were killed for shark fin soup the year before? Oh my gosh, uh something some like weird extreme million was forty. I was gonna say something like six hundred million, which is probably true. Good day, Yeah, they've had shark fin soup. No, it's a lot of flake It's it's devastating to think what we do two creatures, isn't it. Oh yeah, they they just catch ugs, cut the things off and throwing back into water. Oh yeah, yeah. We deserve everything we can. Oh no, we're ship We're terrible to the planet. Having said that, I'm probably gonna have some flake a at Lata.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've fled for a long time. My final question to you is what is the name of the female sea hugger? The female sea hugger, you know, the also like the hippies, hippies, Yeah, the hippies. No, was it? It was Linda, Linda. It was a shout out to Linda McCartney in anyway, I wouldn't say so. I don't think so. I want to throw it out there. Time for some stonecutter shares, mister Davis absolutely starting with the lovely kadg with her one hundred dollar support. Was it got, mister David Stewart, Glenn Gomez, Justin Parker's that Prouet, Schney Macker, Elliott j O'Neil, Isabella Murphy, Roach Beasley, Stephen Roberts, Sean DV. Pete Anderson, Timothy Bels and Andrew Davis, Kevin Dental, planned Flood Apple be Jackmie Fadden, Baler winder Back, Adrick McLeod, Mark Trelevin, Preston, Murray t Lei and Enriquez, Declan Phoenix, Brian McCoy, Logan b James Ship, but Joe Ridden and Say Dave, Prencess McNally, Gavin named Demi, Milo, Charlie, Joe, Abigail b Sharpkater Craig Alti, Smash Gloucester and Ginger and Pickle Ginger Pickle. By the way, I'm uh, you're not making that misake again. David Stewart is now upfront. Yes, yeah, he was paying for a couple of months. He's like, I just like my name once in a while, just once. Yes, It's like now you'll get it all the time, now, buddy, all the time. All right. So the original air day of this episode, The Squirt and the Whale was April twenty fifth, twenty ten. This was ANZAC Day in twenty ten, Oh Than Give Your Service, and the top three films at the US box office were number three, Date Night, number two The Backup Plan, and number one was How to Train Your Dragon. Well, we know about Date Night, which is Tina Fean and Stead Carrell. The Backup Plan is a romantic comedy starring Jennifer Lopez and Australia's own Alex O'Loughlin. Okay, that's where she has she has the artificial information, so yeah, and she's like, wait a minute now, man, a guy that I want a root and with correct and number one was had a training dragon moved its weight for number two two number one. Indeed, the episode was written by Matt Wadberson, directed by Mark Kirkland. The chopboat gag was a reference to South Park, So this ad when the two oh one two hundred. Initially yes, yeah, they were like we'd stand with you, we went scared or something along. When I watched it on Disney Plus the other night, it actually had like Bart running something in French which says I am not French, or something along those lines. I wish they just left the South Pike went in, you think so? Cashcake couch gag was also the couches sort of running through a newspaper showing up in various things showing up and the one has a nice reunion at the end. You also had other little bits and pieces they had the billboard which was text me your lunch money. There was a sign for e bully dot com and I think you had like the it like a Fox Network flying machine at the very start, something like kneon doing the cane and codos or the you know what that thing is at the very start what they called side gag, you know in the opening the opening credits, Yes, assume sounds and you know they'll have something go over it. Yeah, it was like a little flying machine. Yes, okay. And what was the billboard text me? You'll know the text ed yes already. So the episode kicks off with the kids watching the promo for tic Tac toe x VO. By the way, we should just give a quick shout out there is an opportunity to put my film buff hat on. The Squirt and the Whale is a reference to a movie called The Squid and the Whale. It was written directed by a fellow named Noah Baumbach, who is sort of like he's what I like call mainstream independent. He's made a lot of movies with a lot of movie stars. Jeff Daniels Nney. I love Laura Lnney. She's great from trimok and early role for Jesse Eisenberg and yeah, kind of a unpleasant to watch family drama about a bunch of egotistical and deluded people. It's a looking dream Bert Noah bumbag's doing well for himself, married Greg Girwick co Barbie. He's probably lighting cubans of gars with one hundred dollar bills. Good for him. Yeah, props to that guy. But squirt in the while based on that. But the kids are watching the promo for XBO starting Romeo and Julie x Tic tach New. By the way, I'm sorry you've got Laura Linne's page up. Is Laura Linny's whole name? Laura Leggett Lenny It is? Yeah, good Leggot's name, just name, isn't it? Nice? Picture? Laura can have whatever name she wants. Marry. I remember when I watched Love Actually for the first time, and I think she had a chef and it changed my life forever. Oh that's right, And then she had to go look after a brother or something. Yeah, couldn't hook up with that hot Spannah guy. Yeah, he just feels so sorry for her. Damn. Yeah. Nothing gets him more in that movie than what's his name? Alan cheating on Thompson. Thompson, You're like, what are you doing? Yeah, man, what are you doing? A? Yeah? That German Chick's bad news, see his bad news indeed. But Homer he unplugs everything because he's sick of the power bills. Like this, this doesn't feel like it fits the Homer character. He wouldn't care about the power. Like this should be the Marge doing this again. It's so Yeah, a lot of weird stuff in this character wise, and also just little bits and people. Yeah, but this whole thing and it must have met. It did have one good side gag where the projectors how long has there been on? Yeah? I was just like, what's the point of that? But yeah, fine, I thought that was kind of yeah, yeah, it's ridiculous. But they just feels like that should be the Margine. We're wasting home. I should be watching it with them. We're wasting power. We don't need power, Marge. Yeah, correct, it's electricity. It's always there, Like he should be done like the kids, you know, what do you mean to pay for the power? It should be you wake at a power plant. Yes, we initially we just did an episode of Speaking the Hill where Bobby has no idea of the value of money. Homer should be like that. It's like drizzly there, you got to pay your power bill. But you know, one of those magical animals kind of correct correct correct, correct. But then they decide, well, oh well no, Lisa points out, oh, there's an energy XPO one or something like it. But changed changes to your lifestyle can be difficult. Yea, indeed, but like okay, well let's go do this thing which is apparently on at night, and let's get in the car and leave. Yeah. Again, opportunity for another opportunity for a side gag, which I think is we better make sure that everyone knows we're home, turn on the Christmas lights. But there's a little bit where they're all getting in the car and you just hear mar saying, come on, get in the car. Got to this this? Why put a line there or just cut this out? Yeah? Why is she just sort of saying stuff to fill dead air? And if she is saying stuff to fill there there, make it a joke. Or you haven't run to the car and have Bart say why the Christmas lights stup? It's July and say oh something stupid exactly right, But then it cuts the snake saying, Oh, I can't wait to poop on their carpet. I'm like, who wrote that? What are we even doing? As we like to say these days, what are we even doing? What do you mean to put their carpet? Yeah, I don't think even kids would find that funny. It's what what do you mean? What? What since? What a sneak pool called carpets? Why is he again? This joke is not a snake line. No, I'm gonna lost. Let's move on, Let's get to the XPO. Is there with his one sign having a silent protest. Even once we get to the expole, it's kind of like, what's the point of some of these gags? The whole Burnt Power thing I thought was just lame, the bist fight between the two guys, Wigham's kid power. I'm sorry, we have to go back to Guy's favorite episode of all time, Last Temptation of Homer. I was gonna be that exact thing. So this thing really works out? Sure it does. Good luck the tire use us and no one gets hurt. Sorry, that's fucking hilarious. But also, you know Homer and Mindy, you know, pushing nuclear and everyone's walking bar just having goes out him gead bad no got out what Homer throws knocks it out, and then he just got this big smote good about himself. There, let's talk about last intention of Homer. I suppose this shit. I see that that was a means to an end. So this happens for no real I know, it sets up them getting the wind milk. But the storm doesn't happen because they've got a wind milk. That's the problem. So this it's not, it's not, this happens, and therefore this happens like tray Matt will do. It's this happens, and then this happens, and then there's a storm and then the wagons like so what was the point of anything that came before it? Right? Just remember, folks, therefore and but there are two words. You want the storage and in the latentation of Homer, they are at the expo. The whole point of that is because now Homer is away with Mindy. Correct, that was the reason for them to be alone. There's a reason for the expo. Correct. Correct. But he's the guy says solar panel. It's a bright idea. Yes, still was getting a real job and I'm like, man, I've fallen a long way. We've fallen a long way from lastentation of Homer. Lisa has then found what he's looking for. Sure that I can eat in the shower. Have you ever eaten in the shower? I don't think I've ever eaten in the shower. No, I have drunk beers in the shower. It's fucking amazing. Oh yeah, oh god, there's nothing better cold be a hot shower, yeah, warm shower, cold beer, a hot day, yeah yeah yeah. But they're not eating in the shower. What would be the best thing to eat if you have to eat in the shower? So I said to you your ideal shower meal? What is it? What's the medal you need? Maybe a chocolate bar because like can of chips, I'll go soggy. An apple ship they can get possibly, yeah, okay, maybe an apple, but that would preclude me. I'm thinking, I'm thinking, I'm being practical. I know, yeah, I appreciate that. I can't think of anything. No, you don't. Nothing tastes better when it's been food wise, when it's been wet. But then the guy brings up he's trying to sell solid panel to Homer, get tax credits. You write itself off from twelve to eighteen lifetimes and you won't regret it. I'm starting to already too bad. Lass has already got the twine out. Then Homer says, I got it pretty good. I want my ward for audiobook narration whatever whatever we mentioned our guys, that's all couples and strays. Yeah, were we just stupider twenty years ago? Like it just feels like, you know, we just did South Park where they mocked out Gore, and I feel the Simpsons never really mocked out uninformed perhaps uninformed. Yeah, it was just easy. It feels like we're more stupid now, it does. Yes, But then we see this, So they've set up the whatever it is need to be set out the soul panels and whatnot, and Marge points out the energy meter is going backwards something things, he's going back in time, the wind turbine. But it turns out they're just providing power to the electricity company. So he calls them and rants at them. Lenny's working out apparently, Why Leny's working there? He wasn't a power plant again? Why is Lenny there? Why are these write a line assign it to a character. Yeah, just to have wise guy there. Wise, guys going, the guy who's meant to be working everywhere. Why the fuck is Lenny working there? Give us a reason? Why a job about the power plant? You see him later associated with the power plant? Why is he? What? What? I don't like? Man, God, it's just stupid, stupid. So he councels the account. The Simpsons are off the grid. So far it's going great, and it's time for the big game and the color over there to watch the game. And then there's no windowside, so the windmill stops and the parent the TV powers down? Who turned off the wind?
Speaker 3: Dad?
Speaker 1: If we're really off the grid, then we won't get power when the air is still well.
Speaker 3: I'm not crawling back to big electricity from now on. The symptoms are living intermittently.
Speaker 1: I've written it. I'm wondering if this is how sustainable energy actually really works, because this feels like a really bad faith argument. It should be storing energy, as you know how you're here. Sometimes people, it's the really dumb argument against solar or wind that's sunder and shown all the time. Sometimes it's not winding storing. I'm pretty sure that you know when it's working. Its story energy. It's not just it's not like an actual windmill, because that winmill was going right. It didn't stop when the TV was off. It was generating power when the TV was off. For you, when you want to turn the TV on, you start eating into the power that you've stored. Correct, just doesn't make sense. It always was like this was done by some anti green energy kind of it. I suspect the big energy is behind this again, who cares? That's that's the man who cares. So the jumping case goes up and down, we have them playing the z they fight over it. Then the garage doors going up and down. Marge can't do a makeuprop because the light's going off. I'm a falling asleep with the buzz saw, like, yeah, what was even doing? Why was even working on something like these? I will buy into these when he's there for a reason, how much just randomly there wouldn't be funny if a bus or cuts into his head. Yeah, and I'm sorry that. Yeah that really seeing him seeing it cut into his head, that was wrong. I just have it stopped just short or something, I mean, but having it actually cut into his head. Yeah, and laterally, look, this is really nitpicky, but having it actually cut into his head you don't see anything. I mean to be gross if he did. But later on, you know, you've got gets hit in the head by a can, gets blood coming out. Yeah, which gin's up the shark? Yeah, I don't know. I mean, I shouldn't be too upset about this, but why no blood in this one? Blood in that one? I just don't have the problem is showing the sword going into his head, right, It's like there was no one ever to save him, so this thing would have just killed him. Stupid. Yeah, it's stupid. It doesn't make sense. It's agree that it cuts into it even if it stopped again, it's like it's in his head, that's in his brain. Yes, and it has a transition to the lumpy smoothie and home is my brain stopped working? And it stops working mid sentence you're like, yeah, that was your payoff for all? Is that the result of that? Or is that just home and being I don't know, let's move on home and then powers the windmill with actual fans is using plug into Flanders side and this week, at the Flanners moment, that I was ranted about earlier, and he says, the meeting of the fan club has been adjourned. We haven't had our monthly meeting or whatever, and then Yeah, pulls them all out. Used to be a lot nicer and that's the end of Flanders. And I was like, man, you guys just don't like you just don't know what to do with the characters anymore. You just don't. I think also to it feels like it doesn't really feel there's a writer's room at the Simpsons at this point. I feel like every episode sort of written by different people, but it doesn't feel like there's a writer's room like it feels like in the mid nineties that was there was a writer's room. Yes, and they all worked and they bounce ideas of each other and they said, no, we can't do that because of this, and they all work together. This just feels like a bunch of people assigned to do Simpsons episodes. You do you you It's like you know the new Star Wars movies, JJ, you do that one, Ryan, you do that one, and we'll just you know, we'll see how they go together. That went w that worked out? Uh, then we have but spinning it himself. He's up on the top of trying to make the windmill move. Un least, he's trying to hear doctor House's third incorrect diagnosis before the correct one. Then he makes a deal with God. I know how the deal was. But God causes a storm and lots of power and it destroys the town as a result, and then bartless to go to investigate the town. There's a wind chime store, which I thought was quite funny. Then the world's largest dandylion, and then they go to the beach and there's washed up goggles and medical waste on the beach. But then they find the whale, and Lisa can't be believing something so mighty can be read. It's so powerless. And then but okay, my birthday on here falls into the blowhole, gets blown back out, and Lisa says, I'll call you Blowala the whale, and bart says, oh you met the world be his armpit funt and it goes down and blows him a way apparently, and he's like, you just made a powerful enemy. What is happening? I don't know, but something I wrote here good like getting laughs out of a beached whale. It is. It is really one of the saddest spectacles because, oh mate, it's true. Something so mighty is so powerless. Absolutely, yeah, yeah. I watched the trailer and up for a movie called Whale Fall. Have you heard about this? Whale Fall? Yes? Have you seen this? Have you heard about this? It's actually pretty some whaleful. It's a pretty wild concept, which is apparently not I don't know if it's based on true story, but I think the guy who wrote it did his research is the guy scuba diving. There's big whale. The whale is like trying to eat an octopal or something, and the dude gets tangled up in the octopus, so he ends up inside the whale. The whale is so big that you know he's not the CGI are real. Well, it's a it's a live action movie. It's a live actually I imagine a lot of c G Yeah, yeah, I mean it's like animated. Yeah, but he's got like an hour to figure out how do I get out of this way before my oxygen runs out. I'm like, it's pretty neat concepts. An escape room pretty much exact. The room is a whale. I can't believe they haven't just made like an escape room franchise already? Well, they's made they made two of them, they escape room movies. Yeah, it's a movie called Escape Room, and there's another one called Escape Room two something, Escape Room the sequel, Yeah, escape again. Yeah. I think they're like PG thirteen horror movies. I have not seen them. Okay, I still want to do. I feel like I'd love to make an escape room, like just make one. Buy a shitty property, do it up a little bit, and it just hosts are Jigsaw? Are you confessing to me that your Jigsaw? Right a little bit? Okay, I think cool a little bit. I'm a little bit of a serial you'd like to pleat agree interesting to be a lot of fun, but then murdering people? Yeah? Sure, so creating my note He says, so is Bart now Millhouse and that he's just stupid to get him into super situations or is he just a mini Homer? Either way, I can't see how kids will relate to this version of Butt, or maybe they think he's funny because it just shit keeps happening to him. Like what is the point of this version of Bart? I have no idea. No, I just found he's an idiot. Yeah, he's just irritating. He's just irritating. He's an idiot, he's mean spirited, he's an idiot, he's just he's literally Minnie Homer. Lisa then begs the bullies to help her with the whale and whereas the well when my mum moved out? And then she says they're sensitive intelligent and they call it a nerd at least and then cust to them at least helping. But this is where I thought, Okay, the towns people are going to start getting involved here and start trying to help out. Then Kenney asks Millhouse if you want to learn more about whaling any whales on amails on him. He says, don't woman, knock it off because I was too afraid to answer. Never tell a bully you're afraid, So he hits him again. Then Marge's annoyed that her wedding china has ruined, and Hammer says, we able to eat our Thanksgiving dinner off regular place like animals. Lisa for their help. Homer gets the tool bells out doesn't fit him anymore. Go nowhere? What is made for French supermodels goes nowhere that's not even a funny line. Marge then asked to talk to Homer for a minute without Lisa, and he tells Lisa to bring the car around. Haven't you learned from watching mart Drive? Then Marge says the whales likely will die soon. It just feels like, why would Margin know this? This feels like something that like, you know, it should be Professor Frink or doctor Hibbittt or so who's smart or you know, Marge not smart, but guests playing a marine biologist get Richard Drapers in to play Hooper from Jaws. That would be cool, that would be very cool. But just it just feels like Margin. Of all the people, Marge's the one that sot all have. Marge say, I watched this on TV one time, you and I think she actually says it usually doesn't end Well yeah, yeah, I mean what I think my theory is if Marge though knows this, then I feel like Lisa would know it. Mm hmm. Well that's when you use your writer's ingenuity to sort of say, look, Lisa is smart, but Lisa is also a child, and she has a child's emotional register, you know, and she's gonna like, oh, this whale is beautiful. We must we must be able to save it. You know, she can't quite wrap her emotional gears around that. Yeah, we can't let Lisa get her hopes.
Speaker 2: Up your heart?
Speaker 1: Can it be?
Speaker 3: We're just rolling it into the ocean from the beach. It's not like it's stuck in the bottom of a well or in a Mexican prison. But there would make a great movie, cool hand fluke.
Speaker 1: Lisa is very sensitive if something she loves dies.
Speaker 2: In front of her.
Speaker 3: That well, it's not gonna die. We're busting them out of prison, no matter what you say, Eskabar, God distinct rights itself coming.
Speaker 1: Then the town's strongest men are trying to roll it into the water. It doesn't work. We've got a better idea of find the town's smartest man. And that's where wouldn't about earlier hard to believe anyone in that contest could be considered smart. And I'm like, no, No, they're smart people there, but they're doing dumb stuff. And it's not a fold of the characters. It's the fault of the people creating the characters. Yep. Then they try pulling it with the boats, but they all break and sink and Margin asked Lisa to come home for tea, but she's not ready yet. She wants to read some poetry at night to Bluella, and it's Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman. Then Lisa, we think, wakes up to Operation Desert Ocean, dragging blueler back out into the ocean or carrying it and dropping her out there. She jumps for joy. Lisa is happy. Then she jumps into the stars. You're like, oh, and things are getting a little fanciful. And then Lisa wakes up and turns out she's dead. I thought that moment there was handled really well. Yes, but it's just a shame that everything around it. It's just like there wasn't enough time for us to emotionally invest in Bluella. We need to find Bluella. In the first I reckon three minutes of the episode and have a good portion of the first act. Lisa's relationship with this whale. Yeah, or do you know I have this Simpsons are going to the sea side or something like that. Oh wow, whales, we never see those in this part of the world. Lisa openems about how beautiful they are, et cetera, cetera. Cetera. The kids at school all saying, my new hero is Blueller the Whale, And then like people are wearing like Blueller shirts and things like that, and they're, hey, bring us bring a sea captain in there. Maybe you can have this bit of a dark sort of b plot. But they're trying to monetize Blueller rather than help at her. Than monetizing her, come see Blueller the Whale and have Quimby cashing in, have everyone cashing Everyone's wearing a Blueller shirt and yeah, just something you invest have us invest in this, in this whale, you know. But instead it's just she's in there for maybe two or three scenes, and I feel like they need to build up to make this feel even more emotional. I feel as a viewer we need to believe, oh, she probably will make it and then the reality of no, they don't usually make it. Like, have us the viewer be like Lisa and go, oh she is going to make it. Oh fuck she died? Oh shit, it would hit harder. Then homer Is says, she don't worry Lisa, She's lying on God's beach. Oh God, I hate this bit as well. Lisa says, you're wrong, You know she doesn't like laying a beach. She wants to be in the water. Homer says that, you know, I'm just it's hard to learn. I'm not perfect. It hard to learn your father's not perfect. But says something on the lines of you you got that right, dad, and he says, I'm trying to be a sensitive father. You unwanted it more on. There's it's between cruel, which that line is, and it's off put humorously exasperated. It's off putting. Yeah, oh yeah, very much. So you unwanted more on uncalled for. Lisa asks to be alone. Homer leaves and he walks out and says to the cat, it kills me to see her like that. And there's one thing I can't stand. It's being killed because Home is an idiot. But Milhouse then go to poke the cops with a stick, and the police are there and they blow up or a bit of a She sort of like rolls to the side like you don't actually see a chunk of her, and all a sudden, chunks just start falling from everywhere, and I was like, what landing on people and whatnot? And they utilize her corpse that make perfect out of it blowhole Republic makes whalebone corsets, which gets the William shatnegay, which I thought it was quite funny. And Homo has got Lisa a pet that can't die and a visible dog leash, and he said, I know the dog's doing business on the rug. Then Lisa thinks she hears blueler because she's walking around town, but it's Moe cleaning. He's fixing his door. Just every sound she hears is, yeah, reminds me of Martin getting his wedgie, the mine with the blue all like this. So the mind makes the balloon of the whale and it blows up. I thought that's a nice little And then he makes the violin play a sad song for it, and she hears the sound again and turns out it is Blueeller's children. A quick assumption by Lisa. Yeah, maybe these world are unrelated. Yes, And then she sees them just convening for the story all of a sudden. That's when the shark starts surrounding them as Lisa arrives. Then she concedes after commercial its Nature's way and Homos's mother nature is a toothless hag, and he's got a boat he's rending it from not ready, he's just borrowing it, testing it out from the boat store. He tries to harpoon the sharks. But yeah, see, now this is an opportunity for Homer actually sort of step up do the right thing, as I mean, you have him say no, I'm here to help, as opposed to oh, it's just a coincidents. I'm here, I'm testing this boat, you know, step up with your order. Yeah, just he should be there because he wants to be there. She leaves, maybe he says something that upsets her, and she I've never seen this before, but she runs out of home crying, and Lisa's walking around sad, and it's saying, Lisa, I didn't mean it, Lisa, and then he he also hears bueller and they both run to the beach together and like hey, hey, hey, honey. He's like, it's the way he wears. What can we do. Let's work as a team and try and save them. Ye, watch up on his book, because I knew you were going to be here. And if you need to be if you need home and to be a dumbers then or you know, a sort of semi belligerent jerk moleman is fishing in a little boat. Homer goes, grabs him by the scuff of the neck, throws it out, steals his boat. You could have him say you can use my boat, little girl, and I was like, go the way, oh man, he throws him in the water and steals it. Yeah, but dad, he's gonna give us the boat. Yes, something like that exactly. The sea huggers then arrive to protect the sharks. You know, forty million sharks are killed each year for fins. I mean, I believe this sharks should be protected as well.
Speaker 3: Sure, typical eco jerks using words to chuck.
Speaker 1: They're right, it's the only way to save the whales used to kill another innocent creature.
Speaker 3: I can't let you do it, sharks innocent.
Speaker 1: Please.
Speaker 3: Every year they kill a couple of people who do a series of stupid things.
Speaker 1: Not necessarily stupid things, but I think you know, you buy, you buy your ticket, You take the right a lot a lot of the time. You read them though it's like they shouldn't have been swimming there, or it's like known for to be infested with sharks, and you're like anyway, in horrible people get taped by sharks not saying that, but yeah, but they give him the bucket to either make the sharks go away, although eating quicker hits him in the head he bleeds. Then the father whales ran Waldess ran, where's he been? Yeah, by the way, they'd be dead, rocks up and saves the day, saves Homer, and Lisa thanks him for not letting her. Thinks I'm letting her give up, and so I would do anything for a sweet intelligent mammal, which is what I'm by which I'm referring to you, And Homer says He'll be fine. Now, I'll be moving in with a sexy octopus in no time. I have a whale puss on the way, and Marches will draw those pictures of what he just said, which is really just an excuse to have pictures over the closing credits. Which didn't mind the photos of the credits. I like the fiftieth Adiverse. I was like, Oh, that's that's a honorable I found new love and they lasted forever. That's kind of nice. It's like, yeah, Donkey and Dragon, Yeah, yeah, they stuck with that. Like that shit just worked. I liked it. In number two, he was like oh, she was bringing me down. Man, she's emotional and this, that and the other, because basically they for the sake of the story, they couldn't have the dragon in Shrek too, so it wouldn't she wouldn't work in this far, far away land. But then at the end he realized she's pregnant with little me. Donkey's like, oh shit, flying donkeys now it's a real flying donkey. And yeah, but that's the end of the episode to say. Actually, although if you wait around to the end of the great what I didn't do during the last King of the Hill, listen for that if you're a patron, or become a patron and listen to it instead of the in the Gracie logo you get. That's a who song, by the way, a whal song. Yeah. No, Indeed, what do we learn, Bomber, What did you learn from the episode of mister Davis to heck with sustainable energy? I'm just gonna go with good old coal, I think, okay, fair enough, I learned to heck with sustainable gag Tritten for characters know what they're doing anymore. Indeed, indeed, from miss day forward, your name will be it is time for the Guy Davis New Name Championship that curr't lead aboard stands at this in first position Philip J. Hawkins on twenty four points. In second position we have Clever Kyle and Nathan Briggs on fifteen points, and in third position Mike Salter on twelve. Take it away, sir r Oh. One point goes to gone with the wind Mill, that is Nathan Briggs. Brigsy on one point, so sorted, Briggsy well done. Two points goes to wind in the Whalos. Wind in the Whalos. That one would be Adam Woolhouse Well Adam. That puts him now on twelve points as well. He's equal third with Mike Salter Willy Bully alone, and three points goes to oh blubber where art thou Well, that's Mike Salter, which means he's now equal second with Clever cocas Nathan Briggs. And actually so it's changed. Nathan Briggs is on sixteen points now, so he's outright second, Clever Kyle and Mike Salter and now outright I joined third on fifteen points, so they're getting slowly closer to Phil. Still a little bit of a race, yeah, a little bit of race. We can have it. We have a late little charge here from our pals Salter Briggsy and I'm still seeing the heels of mister Hawkins. But yeah, that's all right, all right, so let's see what happened on everyone. Thank you guys for obviously boy he want to be part of the guy That's new. Nan Championship is going to be supported of ours on Patreon little as just one dollar per month. You can support the guys here and get the lights on here at four disca. We would be much a appreciated. I don't forget. You can also please continue to rate and review us on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, wherev you do find this show. But for now, is there was any final words for those incredible listeners out there, Well, I'm gonna go enjoy pooping on my own carpet.