Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, We're about two hours away from the first postseason game of the pat Kelcierra Louisville and Stanford cards currently favored about ten and a half, and I'm not surprised at all by that number. They did win by twenty just five days ago. But I do think I don't want to give a full on, you know, extensive breakdown of the Stanford team because I don't think that would be interesting by any means. It's not really what we do ever. And also I don't think Louisville is going to have a huge problem tonight. They could lose, right, we know that. But when you play a team in consecutive games and you're the winner one, you clearly have proven that you're you're better and you know that you can beat them, you should be confident you didn't just win, you beat them at twenty. But it'd be a lie to say that that what I'm about to bring up puts like Stanford at an advantage because it's not that. But hear me out. You know they you know, louis Louisville should come with the same the same game plan they should mean, they should just try to do you know, try to do the same thing they did the other night, which again they were by twenty and I don't even feel like they played that well. So you know, you just bring the same thing and trust that you're going to be able to do it again no matter what they do. However, Stanford can now kind of counter that in a way and maybe throw something at Louisville Louisville didn't expect or see, because for Stanford it's winn or go home, right, They need to win the a SEC tournament to make the Big Dance, and that seems really really unlikely. So again, louis is not a disadvantage at all. But I do think you know, you're you could if you're smart, and Stanford would would at least, you know, try to throw some wrinkles out there that maybe Louisville wouldn't have been prepared for because it wasn't something you saw in film prior, and it wasn't something you know that you necessarily I mean, you don't want to recreate who you are in this in this one instance, but you know, Louisville. They're just better. I mean, that's what it comes down to. And as I've said throughout the entire season, certainly said it a few times today thus far. What would have me really nervous in situations like this would just be based off the fact that you just know your team is. It's a coin toss, right, You just don't know what you're gonna get. You know what they can do, They've proven that. But man, they also at times just don't come ready to play. They take inferior opponents for granted and put them put themselves in vulnerable spots. Yes, they nearly lost to Virginia Tech, same thing with EKU long ago. They haven't played great, They're not perfect, But this team, more than anything, has shown they don't do what I just mentioned. They come ready to play their reflection of their head coach. They are absolutely going to respect who they're playing. I think they have a real appreciation for everything they've been able to experience this year. Therefore, they've got what I call comfortable fear. They know that a loss here it wouldn't ruin your season. I mean it would give you a bad taste in your mouth heading to selection Sunday, and it would really eliminate the little potential that you have to better your resume. I mean, you could still technically, you know, go beat Duke, but you know that's easier Seve than done. So the one thing I'm not worried about is these guys coming ready to play and now maybe they miss shots early, maybe they just you know, it's not their night. But that's a different thing than you know, just kind of coming out flat and very It's still very fresh in my mind what they were able to do against Standford just five days ago. So therefore I believe that they should be able to take care of business tonight. And I did mention this at the beginning of the show. I knew that if anybody was going to have info on this, it would be the one and only Kelly Dickey. The official I mean, I think he is the official UFL stats Google because he helps Paul Rodgers when it comes to the games as far as just knowing all these crazy stats. But there can't be many people who have a guy like Kelly Dicky in their fan base. Part of their program, they can just give you any of the random facts and trivia that you would ever want, and if you're a diehard fan, I mean you've eat that stuff up right because you're interested in your team.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 2: There's a guy who does it for Kentucky and he's great at it, Corey Price, who I believe also helps Tom Leech and that crew with the stats. So we are lucky around here to have guys who I don't know how they have all this information and info. It's stats and all that, but it's I think it's awesome. So Louisville playing stand for the second consecutive game. I said it would be Kelly Dickey who would know the last time that happened or if it's ever happened before, And sure enough it is not. Stanford's gonna be the first opponent Loisvell has ever played back to back. I'm sorry, I stand corrected. It's the first time it's happened since nineteen eighty three, according to Kelly Dicky. Again, I got ahead myself. I didn't read his entire tweet, So that's me just being an idiot, not him having it wrong. So Stamford's the first level opponent as far as back to back since they played Memphis State and beat him sixty four to sixty two in nineteen eighty three, and then turned around and played them in the conference tournament same year eighty three, of course, and beat him again seventy one to sixty eight. So very similar situation into the regular season against the team that you'll end up playing in the first round of your conference tournament. For what it's worth, ken Palm the projected score here in this one, which I haven't even checked, that tells you how confident I am, because I usually check ken Palm many times throughout the day, and I just in fact I have today. But it was more so just because I want to bet on games, not because I was looking to see what ken Palm had for Louisville. But for this game tonight, a seventy seven to sixty eight, nine point victory for the Cards. On the Kentucky side, they're taking on Oklahoma in a late game. Oklahoma, to me is a win and more likely in than not. That just that's just my guess. I don't know where the committee actually how the committee actually used them, but currently Kentucky right now favored by six and a half. I'm not gonna bet it because that'd be gross, but I would hammer Kentucky minus six and a half. I know, Austin, you don't. You don't bet on Kentucky either, at least I don't think you do. But Debdie just feel like they're better than Oklahoma. And this is gonna be a rowdy, drunk home game for Kentucky. It's really gonna be an atmosphere that's probably better than I don't want to say, better than any rough game because Rup. You know, RUP's great for an atmosphere whenever it's a big game. And they've got a huge fan base. So I'm not taking a shot at their fans. But the SEC tournament crowded in Nashville is a different type of fan than the blue pullover. You know, Cardigan guy is in his you know, in his seventies, who's you know, probably not even that into it. He's just rich and a successful person in le Yeah, So I mean it's just different. So I'm not touching that one. But again, if I was forced to, I would take Kentucky because I just think they tonight six and a half. You're tempted, aren't you a little?
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 3: And I mean their first game with Oklahoma was close, it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but again this that was at Oklahoma. Kentucky didn't have Butler. And this again, I'm maybe I'm over selling it. I mean, I'm looking Austin, I'm looking at Texas, A and M in Texas on TV right now. There's fifteen minutes left in the second half. Okay, there's more blue there right now than any color in Kentucky doesn't play until ten o'clock. Yeah, I mean, like that's gonna be a home game for them.
Speaker 4: They're kind of hungry too. They haven't had the best success in the ICC tournament.
Speaker 2: Look if if Kentucky gets you know gets if the games, you know boring, those some of the fans at rough fall as sleep to take a nap, they get tucked into bed, or they get bored if they're up big. These got the fans that are there. Not to say all of them are raging alcoholics, but like Broadway Nashville, it's a party, and they got a lot of booze to put away before they tip that thing off. It probably probably close to ten o'clock. I think you're right, So I imagine they were all tonight. But we shall see, all right, So let's talk about ducally quickly. Here for those who missed it. Duke did win today despite a scare early from Georgia Tech. They were down twenty six to twelve in the first half, and then Cooper Flag went down with an ankle injury that that clearly is an issue for them. Now how big of an issue, only time will tell. But if you go watch the injury itself, if I didn't see him back on the court not playing, but he came back out still in his uniform with his you know, warm ups on over top of it, put his sneakers back on. I mean, he wasn't gonna play, but he looked like he could if they wanted to. And there clear there seemed to be a real force from him to kind of show people that he could walk without any issue. But then when he would try to walk with that issue, like you know, in the in the time out or back to the locker room after the game, like you could tell because all the cameras are on him, by the way, and he's not I mean, he's got an ankle sprain. They did an X ray. It came back negative, and obviously that's a good sign, but it's just it's an ankle sprain and it's anybody's guests as far as how severe it is, and also anybody's guests as far as you know, what kind of pain level can this guy play through? You just don't know. So if I'm Duke, there's no scenario he even suits up in the next two games, because they stand to gain nothing by playing him nothing, and he could maybe hurt it even worse. Clearly, playing in these next two games would make it to where he's not going to be quite as fresh when you get to the game whoever you play in that sixteen to one seed game. So I don't believe they stand to gain anything about playing him, therefore they won't. But you just never know. Maybe he wakes up and he's really he's really built different, as they've told us for years, or he can have that kind of an ankle injury and be one hundred percent the next day. But if you watch the video, it's a bad I mean, he rolled his ankle as bad as you can without damaging his his you know, his ankles substantially, because again the X ray showed no no, I mean it was negative, so two bays to look at it. One that makes the ACC Championship not as difficult because Duke without flag, it's still not a still not a you know, Duke without flag, they're not the same Duke, But still they're good. And I don't need Georgia Tech today to get beat by a Cooper flagless Duke team for me to know that they're still good without him, because they just they have talent. They're good. Like I as much as we've had some fun with Duke and then filling their diaper about Pat Kelsey winning Coach of the Year and Chucky winning Defensive Player of the Year, I still believe they're really really good. Like I don't think Duke's a team that will end up getting shell shocked in the tournament because they played in a week acc. I think they're loaded. I think they're well coached, like you know, as much as they're lame like, they're good. And I think John Shire, as much as he's probably a cornball, I actually think he's got a chance to be a really good coach for Duke. So you know, even without Flag there, it's not gonna be a cakewalk. And I wish he plays because look, Louisville, like Louisville beating like Duke team without Cooper flag is still gonna be a valuable win for you, and you'll take it. You can't control it, like you'll take it however you can get it. But man, the thought of playing them competitively and maybe knocking them off that, I mean, we talked about this yesteryeary when we had Kent Taylor on spart I'm sorry, Kin Spencer, I got my Kent's mixed up. Apologies there. I know I'm not the first to do that, and it probably won't be the last time I do that, So sorry Kent's. But just playing Duke fully healthy, without anybody injured, you know, maybe be careful what you wish for because it could get ugly. I don't want that, and I think Duke would probably beat Louisville and it wouldn't be that close. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but you can get some you know, this is a team that I think is mature to where if they did get beat by a healthy Duke team by you know, thirteen four team points and it was never really a game you felt like you were gonna win. This is a group that I don't think will let that deter them in any way. They're not gonna lose confidence They've always throughout the year not been too high too low, regardless of what's happened. And I do think going up against a team that good can really help you, even if you lose before you get to the tournament. And also just to be able to play in the conference championship tournament would be championship game would be awesome. So you know, I still think Duke will be there regardless of what happens with Cooper Flag because if they get Clemson tomorrow, I'm sorry, if they get who would it be? If it goes Chalk, let me pull it up here, wouldn't it be? Would it be Carolina? Or would it be let's see here. I just had the uh, where's the bracket? Because the four or five game is Wake four? Is Carolina? Right now?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: And by the way, that game is, uh do we have a score? So right now? Certainly certainly that's not over? It is it? No? It is car Yeah, I'm sorry, maybe maybe it ended a while ago. That's what makes me realize how fast time goes when I'm on this show for three hours, because when there's games on, I look up and it's over, Like I don't know where the time win but do Carolina one sixty eight to fifty nine, which means they'll play the winner. In fact, are they gonna play They're gonna play Duke? Right? Is that right? Do have it? Right?
Speaker 3: Am I wrong? I think so? Yes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would have That has to be what it is, isn't it. So even without Cooper Flag, I don't think that Carolina would win, but clearly they've got a better chance without Flag. I don't know, man, I'm trying. I'm kind of I mean, there's two ways to look at it. One, whatever you gotta do to win the ACC Championship, hell yeah, Meaning if it's the easiest path, who cares, you could cut down the nets in Charlotte, that'd be great. That's one way to look at it. And I agree with that because winning the AEC Championship would be awesome. But I'm also looking to try to still squeeze out any little value you can get. Rather it be your resume benefiting from this trip to Charlotte and also your team just getting a good, nice test against good teams before you start playing. Win or go home next week. But let me throw this scenario at you, Austin, you're a lofa fan like I am Browitz. Would you rather play a Carolina team who upset Duke in the semis on Saturday? Or play Duke who is clearly going to be a real threat and a challenge, But they're the ones in the championship game and they've got Flag healthy. Again, you have a better chance of winning if it's Carolina, you've already beat him. But if you beat him, it really, you know, still a great result. You'd freaking win the ACC Championship. But also like it's a team you've already beaten, a team that you know would just barely be getting in the tournament. Like again, I would, I would probably have to take the ACC Championship just because it would be the first time it's ever happened, and like, yeah, they'd be great. But if I'll, you know, win it however you can. But I would love to be able to potentially win it and know you got past the best in the league. Right.
Speaker 4: Sure, yeah, you could probably put me down for that. I may sound crazy, but I want all the smoke. Yeah with Duke, especially after this last week and how and how they've been talking that mess. Right, But I guess there's two schools of thought you could just think of beating the overall best team in the nation with the overall best player in the nation. But at that scenario plays out and you have Carolina that's playing red hot and they beat Duke and you got a rematch with them, then there's something fun about playing probably one of the hottest teams that's getting hot at the right time and having that plus you already beat them too. That might be a little bit scary because they're playing way better than they did back in January. But I don't know. That's just my two that's just my two cents, But I'm with you me all the smoke would do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And look, I think you've got nothing to lose if you lose to Duke, because again, I'm not worried about this group. Like if you get to the ACC Championship game and it's Duke and you fall short, I think the win against Clemson probably confirms you're no way, You're no worse than a seven. And I just I think there'd be value in playing that good of a team before you get to win or go home. And I'm not gonna act like I believe that they would actually take down Duke if Cooper Flag's healthy and he's playing. But I know this, they wouldn't be scared, they wouldn't be wide eyed, they wouldn't be shell shocked. They may just come out there and compete and lose because Duke's that good. But you know, in a lot of in a lot of different scenarios with different teams that aren't this mature, I just feel like you would run risk of like, yeah, you don't want to get your ass kicked before you get to the big dance because it could be demoralizing. And look, maybe maybe it would be so bad that it would be demoralizing, But I just I think this group is so rare for a lot of reasons. When it's the it's a brand new team that, like everybody playing, none of us knew anything about them until they hit the portal. I mean, we knew who Chucky Hepburn was, probably, but honestly that's probably about it. So you know, this is a rare situation for a lot of reasons. But I I mean, give me the best possible. You lose bad, it doesn't drop you off the seed line from a seven, I don't believe. And even if you lose, you can still gain some value that won't show on your resume, but it could help you next week. And honestly, if you lose a close game to Duke, you probably jump up. In fact, if you lose a close game to Duke and let's say you got past Clemson, you lose a close game to Duke and Cooper Flag does play and he's healthy, I think you get more respect out of the committee. Right. I think so too, because like Illinois, who's gonna get in the tournament safely, gonna get a decent seed, make it a good seed, depending on what they do in the Big Ten tournament. They just play Duke on a neutral court two weeks ago and lost by forty So, like with so rare measurable games, if you get there and it's a gloss but it's close. I think if the committee doesn't know what to do with Louisville because of the ACC, I believe if they competed well with Duke, they would use their brain and realize, Okay, yeah, still don't have a ton of big wins. But man, I watched this team. I know they won twenty seven games up to this point. I'm gonna give him a bit of it out and give him a six seed or a five seat like who knows if that would happen. But again, I want duke and to sound young and hip like the tribal chief. Give me the smoke. That's all right, or is it? I want to smoke?
Speaker 4: He's does Give me the smoke work too? I think, yeah, it work checks out? Yeah, Oh, give me the smoke. I want it, all of it. All right, I'm him, You're God, I'm here, God, You're still young, dude.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: It makes me feel good. All right, quick break, We got a little bit more time left with you to stick around right here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine days.
Speaker 2: So a couple of things here on the Louisville front. We've got somewhat of an update on rain Smith. So he's not wearing a boot. He's not you know, he's not He's not wearing something that makes it look like he's really dealing with an injury to where he's you know, maybe not going to play at all the rest of the way. But he also is so that somebody got a video here, see who I can figure out where it's at but there's I guess the fans that made the trip to Charlotte there was a card march or I'm not sure if they call it that or not, but fans seeing the team off from the team hotel as they make their way to the arena for their game tonight and as they're walking to the bus, Rain does not have like a bag with shoes and stuff, whereas all the other players do. So it might be like a you know, an unintentional way for for us to be, you know, to be made aware that he's not gonna play tonight. Could be something totally wrong, could make could could have, could have nothing to do with it, but you know that that if I had to guess, and I'm just guessing, I would say he's not gonna play tonight, just based off that. Also, the Cards will wear tonight, and I guess the rest of the postseason some type of a badge or patch I should say, not a badge and honor a junior Bridgeman, which of course makes total sense. So you know, we talked about this earlier in the show. We had somebody on the text line, and maybe it was yesterday, I don't remember when it was, but it came up at some point from somebody on the text line about Rain Smith, do you just go ahead and sit him anyways, because you were able to prove that you don't need him to beat Stanford, and with it being an ankle injury, the longer he can rest up the better because he's still gonna be playing with some pain. Hopefully it's more so just discomfort. But the level and what the level in which he's actually hurt, only he knows, and only I guess you know, And in fact, I mean you would assume that he's being treated around the clock and getting all the treatment he needs by the medical staff, But technically he really is the only one that knows. Now. Pat Kelsey did say something after the game on Saturday, I believe it was in his radio interview, might have been his press conference. They did make me feel a little better about Rain. But Rain apparently had ankle issue ankle issues at some point during his time with Pat Kelsey at Charleston and was able to play through it. So what we'll never know for sure, at least, you know, not Maybe we will know at some point, but it's not information that we know unless Rainsmith just decided to tell us everything every little bit, and he's not gonna do that now and maybe never will. But him not playing tonight if he doesn't, and then of course him not playing on Saturday against Stanford. I mean, only he knows if it's because he truly can't go, or if it's because he just would rather rest and realize his big picture, me getting healthy is better for me and for my team because we win or we go home next week, and if I can get some more rest, then that's best case scenario. So I kind of feel like I'm I don't I don't think I'm taking rain Smith for granted because I'm well aware of how specially is. I'm well aware of what he can do to flip a game in in no time. He can flip a game the other direction with three straight threes, that would really be like any other night for him. I mean, that's just what he does. So I don't think I'm taking him for granted. I'm also somebody who thinks he's more than just a shooter. Obviously, his p duction mostly comes from knocking down threes, but when he's on the floor, other teams have to always account for him, and he knows that, and he's he's savvy about that. He also makes them pay when they don't account for him. He also understands spacing as good as anybody on the floor on the team, including Chucky.
Speaker 3: So like.
Speaker 2: The fact that I'm not as fearful about his status down the line meeting next week even makes me kind of feel like I'm not realizing how great he is. But then again, like you know, worrying about it isn't going to do anything, But I guess as I internally, I guess deal with myself here, like I worry about everything. So the fact I'm not worried makes me feel like I'm taking rain for granted, although I don't.
Speaker 4: Think I am, and selfishly just being fans and loving this team. We only have a limited time with brain left, so like we want to get the most out of him, Like I mean, yeah, I go out there and ball, but we we just want to see in a cardinal jersey, just keep balling out for as long as we can, because I mean, we would love to see him in the tournament. We would hate to look back and say, you know, we didn't have him, just because this is such a special.
Speaker 2: Group and we've already dealt with that and got over it and kind of regrouped. I forget that Cason Pryor and Cora and Johnson are even on the team until I see him cheering on their teammates on the sideline. So, you know, and there really has been no indication that it's severe with Rain, but again he hasn't played, and you know, that just leaves it open for you to decide, is it. Is it something I was gonna say, Is this it's something we should be worried about? But again, worrying as fans will do nothing but just make us more anxious and and and it'll it'll be you know't it won't be good for us to worry. But as I'm overthinking it here, Rain's got to know that at at at Matt, you know, the minimum, he's got two games left in his college career, right, meaning whatever happens tonight, they could lose whoever they're playing the tournament. So like he he hopefully has more than just two. But that's really all that's guaranteed at this point is two more games left in his college career. So to know that and yet still ere on the side of I'm not going to play. If in fact that's what happens tonight, that would make me think he's really hurt. Now, clearly he's hurt. I'm not acting like he's faking it, But I don't know, I'm overthinking it. And I did the same thing when Chucky got hurt, like just trying to just figure out what makes the most sense. Whenever gonna get answers. We're not entitled answers, but you just want to know. And when he didn't come back on Wednesday, when they knocked off cal and that's whenever you know he started dealing with the ankle, and the ankle issue when he told coach Kelsey, I can't go, kind of worried me, you know, because with Chucky, I don't. With Chucky, it's in again, it's still something you would worry about. Right with Chucky, they were told he couldn't play, like Pat Kelsey was told by the medical staff the trainers he can't go. Which if they're saying he can't go, then he must be really hurt. So again, here I am just going in circles worrying about rain Smith's ankle, which worrying isn't going to help the ankle so let's just believe in the power of positivity and hope that who knows, maybe he plays on it. Here I am doing the first five minutes or so of his segment acting as if he's not playing, And all I'm basing that off of is the fact that he didn't bring a bag with him to get on the bus.
Speaker 3: It would be much I do about nothing.
Speaker 2: Like maybe the ausse travels light, you know, maybe he just leaves out, Maybe he leaves his shoes on the bus. I don't know. Maybe he's wearing his basketball shoes and his jersey underneath his you know, his street clothes. I don't know, But I don't want to put too much pressure on that ankle exactly right, real quick. I don't get into this a whole lot just because I don't. I don't, you know, to me, this doesn't change anything good or bad about how I feel about Louisville. But enough people have shared this screenshot on the text lines, so I'll share with you. So BETEMGM put this out. Every national champion since two thousand and two has been top forty in offense and top twenty five in defense. Per Kin Pom and the teams that fit the criteria the sheer Louisve's one of them, and it's really good company too, by the way, I mean, I think all these teams are really really good Duke, Auburn, Houston, Florida, Tennessee, Michigan State. And here's where it gets to where there's teams that are kind of I think, you know, good, like Maryland I think is really good, but I wouldn't say they're like title contingents. But Maryland's in there. In fact, Maryland to me is like a I wouldn't call them like a sleeper because I could see them losing early if you know, things don't go their way. They're really thin, but when they play well, I feel like they're a final fourteen, and they've at times played really well. So Kevin Williard's done a good job. But outside of Maryland, the others are Marquette, Clemson, and then Louisville. So of those, looks like there's twelve teams that fit that criteria. In Louis's one of them. So again, make of that what you will. All right, let's see do we have any other updates here as far as games going on for those just now joining us. We have had a lot of games already conclude so far here as the conference tournaments are underway, you've got let's see, Carolina did get past Wake for US, so they'll play They'll play Duke tomorrow. Sixty eight to fifty nine. Was to score there. Carolina. Again, I believe that they've done enough to where they should be in, but not by much. Don't know if the committee agrees with that, but clearly I think even a competitive showing with Duke tomorrow without Cooper flag would bode well for Carolina. And I just again, I know Carolina doesn't have many wins worth speaking of, and to be fair, they've had opportunities because they played such a challenging non conference schedule. But when you've got when you put sixty eight teams in and other teams fighting just to make it are sitting there with you know, nineteen and sixteen records, eight games below five hundred in their own conference, like I just don't know. I mean again, to me, call me old fashioned. Winning and losing, regardless of who it's again, should still factor in to some extent. Let's see, Arkansas lost on a buzzer beater. I knew it came down to the wire, but Padulla hit a three at the buzzer to take out Arkansas, so Cal another short stay for him at the At the SEC Tournament, Xavier and Marquette played earlier, and Marquette, who fell apart a little bit later in the season, they were really rolling early and now they're you know, I wouldn't say they're free falling, but they're looking like probably like an eight seed. But they beat Xavier, and that's important for bubble teams because Xavier was a team that kind of felt like a win and they get in. They didn't win. They lost by two, eighty nine to eighty seven, so they're going to be sitting nervous on selection Sunday. I would imagine same thing for Indiana. Indiana loses seventy two to fifty nine, and same thing. They're going to be sweating. But everybody seems to think that they're in and really not even in like that last four and if so, it's just because they got to put sixty eight and I don't think in Indiana's resume is in any way impressive enough to say they safely belong. But again, we're talking about sixty eight teams having to get in and I think like the last like the last ten at large teams are all gonna be kind of the same, and I feel like in other years you wouldn't think they'd belong. But again, the bubbles very weak this year. All right, Wisconsin, they held off Northwestern. So Northwestern, I guess they could have potentially been a bit stealer. That's not gonna happen now. BYU took out Iowa State. That was an upset. Ricky p and Saint John's knocked off Butler seventy eight to fifty seven. Houston got past Colorado. We mentioned Duke and Georgia Tech. That was a seventy eight to seventy victory for the Blue Devils, and then some other games coming up again, I mean a loaded I mean this Austin and I were talking about it during the break. This is just this is awesome like today and tomorrow and then you know, really moving forward. This is when college basketball is erotic. I mean, even when we have those days off, because you know, you've got the selection or selection Sunday and then travel and all that, we don't get real games. I guess we get we get the play in. It's but nonetheless, like Thursday and Friday year great, but like even the lead up to that is awesome because you just get your bracket. You're you know, I mean, I can, I can. I honestly I can patiently wait from Sunday to Thursday because I know, like those two days are going to go by so quick, and then we got to wait another year. And I will say this, I'm glad somebody pointed this out on the text line earlier, because I was talking about how I was able to just find a way to really enjoy college hoops without having a team with any relevance in March, because we've been irrelevant for a long time. In fact, louisvill hasn't made the second weekend in ten years. It's only made the tournament twice in ten years, which is crazy to think about, but it's just the reality of it. So with all that said, I kind of forgot about the awful feeling of losing in the first round. Yeah, I mean, even if you're like an eight or nine seed, when it's over, when it's over, no matter what, it sucks. But to get to get to put the ns and shoes on and have to exit the dance floor early when other people are out there, maybe just getting a few drinks in and they're extending their party on too late into the evening and then maybe moving on to the second weekend. Like that's a tough feeling with.
Speaker 3: The electric slide.
Speaker 2: So look with with with this feeling of being back to life, man, it's great, but we now are alive and we were gonna we're gonna experience some potential pain, maybe even tonight. I hope not. I don't think so tonight, but like next week if they lose in the in the first round, I still don't believe there's a scenario where I won't love this team and feel like this was such an awesome year despite knowing what March is and it really is where it all matters. But this is an unusual circumstance and I'm gonna embrace this year for everything that it was. But I know that in the moment, if you know, I probably won't even have like the disappointment and anger that I usually have. I'm just gonna be sad.
Speaker 3: You know, because yeah, I'm right there with you.
Speaker 2: We love these guys, man, and we only get one year of them released, the majority of them, which again, is it kind of sad to be honest with you. All Right, quick Break will come back on the other side and wrap this thing up, get you set for tonight's matchups, and a quick little update on what's being said about these jobs that are opened. So Will Wade apparently was not going to be in the mix at NC State, but those that have a lot of money that you know, have influence on what NC State does, they want Will Wade in Raleigh, And I mean I would love that just because it would make the league better. Anybody that doesn't hire him this time around, I feel like we'll absolutely regret it. Somebody's gonna get him. Right, he's at McNee State, right, quick Break, keep a locker here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: All Right, we've got a little bit of time left here. I'll use it wisely. So the two acc hires that have already been made and they're now official. You've got Florida State going with a guy that I'm sure none of you have ever heard of. I hadn't heard of him. He's a former or Florida State player who has spent every bit of his basketball coaching career as an assistant, but not in the college level. So Luke Loucks that's who they hired. And he's thirty four years old. They go from a guy old enough to be his grandfather to now a guy who's you know, much younger, And I mean maybe he's great. You never know, I mean any higher. You have to just understand that regardless of how high you are on it or how low you are on it, you just don't know. But I just to me, this is the kind of cod This is the route that just doesn't make as much sense anymore because the risk here is just not worth the reward. But you know, I will admit I've never been in this position when it comes to making these decisions in these highers. So maybe there's a lot more. In fact, I know there's a lot more to it than I realize. But I just don't know why you wouldn't go get a guy who's proven that he can success, he can successfully be ahead basketball coach at the college level, even if it's not at the ACC like an unproven coach, a guy doing not even unproven, a guy never has who has never done it before. To me, just seems like the last move you'd make this day and age in college basketball. So Miami went a little bit of a different route, but also kind of the same. The similarity is that never been a head coach. Now, Jay Lucas has been an assistant coach for quite some time, and you know, he's to me, the young, relatable guy that can certainly recruit and clearly he's connected to the game, has coaching in his blood, so he's got all that going for him. So it may be great, but he's thirty six and he's never ever been responsible for a program. He's never been a head coach. And I know we have a little PTSD in regards to that because we could tell from the jump we hired a guy who's never had to actually be the head coach, be the boss, and it was a disaster. So I'm sure Jie Lucas has some leadership capabilities that you know, Kenny Paine didn't have. But I just think again it comes down to like, why in the hell did Miami not higher will weight That would have been the perfect fit. I mean, he would have he would embraced everything that is the you you know he can win. He would take the money that you have available, and you know, make some strong ass offers like he's always done. And I just feel like that was such an obvious fit that would have made by the way those worried about like the pr about Will Wade one, I mean, lighting up Karen, I mean, it's now not only legal, it's now what you have to do go pay players, But also like choosing to worry about what idiots on the internet will say about you hiring a coach who previously got in trouble with the NCAA and there was evidence of it. That just proves you don't want to win. And by the way, like Miami, I feel like they would embrace a cheater. I mean, it wouldn't be cheating now because again you can do like Miami and Will Wade, we're a match made in heaven. Why it didn't happen, I don't know. Now it sounds like Will Wade could potentially still be in the ACC but at NC State.
Speaker 3: And I mean.
Speaker 2: If they don't hire him and they've like got it in the works and they decide to pass on him but go elsewhere, I mean, I think it's a mistake. I really do. And look Chris Beard, I'd say the same thing. Look, if you feel like the PR hits been bad enough, and if Chris Beard was as bad as what was, you know what was alleged to have happened with him and his wife, I feel like, you know, and again I can't I'm not condoning any of that, but the PR hit was already taken by Ole Miss and at this point it's an isolated thing. So choosing to not go get him because of that, I still think at times, you know, that would be foolish in my opinion, but at least like there's legitimate, like like that's a real real thing. Will Wade he didn't even get fired for cheating. He got fired because he was cheating. They stopped winning, like Bill Wade didn't. He didn't get in trouble legally. He just you know, was involved in something that a lot of people were doing but it wasn't allowed. Then now it is allowed, and he's one of the few that ended up on a wire that you heard him talking about paying for players when it wasn't allowed. So I don't know why Will Wade hasn't gotten a job now. I mean, he's still coaching these State's going to go to the tournament, So that's a factor in why it hadn't happened yet. But I hope NC State can get it done now. I don't know why Ben McCollum is not somebody that Virginia's targeting. Maybe they are, we just don't know, but it sounds like Ryan Otam at VCU is who Virginia is is on and may be able to get now he's done well. He was at UNBC for a while. If you remember, he's the guy who knocked off Virginia, which how wild will that be? Virginia hiring the guy who beat them in the round of sixty four, first ever one seed to lose to his sixteen So he ended up. Then he then went to Utah State for two years and won there, and then he's been at VCU now where he's won twenty four games last year, twenty five games this year and he tied for the A ten. So to me, that's a guy that has proven he can win in different places in Virginia with what they're they're what they have with resources, I suppose, like, I mean, that could work, but Ben McCallum and me would be a better hire. Now it sounds like Ben McCollum could be making a very short trip away from Des Moines where Drake's located. Rye's where he's at Drake because Iowa and friend McCaffrey made part ways like he may retire And if it's I mean, I think the timing for that was probably a couple years ago. But either way, if he moves on and retires after having a really bad season this year, he's been there since twenty ten. McCollum, I mean, I think one Iowa can pay more money, clearly, but Virginia's a better basketball job, I'd say. But he's from Iowa. Ben McCollum like grew up inn Iowa fan apparently, so maybe that's why he's Maybe he just knows that eventually, even if it's not this year with McCaffrey, when that job opens up, he wants it, and that would make sense again, and I was a good job. I just wish the ACC could get some of these good coaches, because that's that's what it's gonna come down to. You've got to get successful coaches in this league. That's the first step in getting this league back on track. All Right, we're out of time. You guys. Enjoy your evening. What a fun evening. It's gonna be Louisville and Stanford. Hopefully tomorrow we're back at it talking about another postseason game of the Pat Kelse era, and hopefully we're talking about Kentucky fans losing once again in Nashville, although I don't believe that's gonna happen. Imagine they roll tonight. But anyways, enjoy the evening. We're back at it tomorrow right here on Sports Talk seven ninety