Speaker 1: Oh he is, folks. It showed people say good money to see this movie. When they go out to a theater, they want clod sodas, hot popcorn in no monsters in the projection booth. Everyone for tend podcasting isn't boring?
Speaker 2: Got it off?
Speaker 3: Hey, folks, well who did the projection booth? I'm your host Mike White on this special episode, I am talking with Pat Jenkowitz. He is the author of Just When You Thought It was Safe, a Jaws companion. We actually talked a little while ago when I was putting together the Jaws episode and things just didn't work out for us. But he's back and we are now talking about that as well as some of the other books that he's worked on, as well as his career in Hollywood just a little bit. Had a great time talking with Pat, and I hope you have a great time listening to this interview. Enjoy. Obviously, I want to talk to you about your Jaws book, but I would love to talk to you a little bit more about your career and some of your other books as well.
Speaker 1: If you're up for it, I'd be honored. Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: You are a fellow Detroier, I'm calling you from Westlam, Michigan.
Speaker 1: That's fans. How cold is it?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: It's pretty darn cold. It wants the snow, but it's still raining right now. And snow I don't imagine.
Speaker 1: You do.
Speaker 3: You don't have to shovel a lot of sunshine, I imagine.
Speaker 1: Thank god, thank god. I went to a Christmas tree running the other night and I dropped sprayed with fake snow, and I just laughed because I walked to my drawer and melted into my head.
Speaker 3: All was, well, so tell me about you. Tell me about growing up in Detroit and how you did you become a writer first and then an actor or year a man of many talents.
Speaker 1: My big brother was a writer, and following in his footsteps, he taught my brothers and I the joys of writing. And it was always something I did. And when in Michigan, are you always doing the best creative stories and all that. I was always a film buff and we moved to California when I was a teenager, and when we moved here, I started crashing sets because being a film buff in Michigan, as you probably know, Mike, is a pretty lonely business. I just told a friend about this the other day. Everybody is like, your dad is a football player. Everybody's wearing the car company their dad works for. On that you remember. I remember all the Shelby Cobra kids with that great snake with the wheels. Oh yeah, why were Chrysler kids? So horn jackets were Chrysler and everybody else. Everybody wanted whatever their father was working for. And if you liked movies, it was down to Scream Theater and Sir Graves Ghastly and maybe built Kennedy. It's one thing when movies are made three thousand miles away, but when we moved to California, movies were like thirty minutes away. So my brother, my younger brother, Donald, and I started crashing movie sets, you know what I mean. When when we were in high school, you would go and it was mostly like horror and action, and it was We learned a lot of the ropes there. And when I was in college, I wrote a commercial with my late brother Tom, and we wrote a commercial and David Lynch liked it and wanted me to read it to him when I yeah, which is cool. I mean again, I was too dumb to be a frame basically, so I read it for him. He laughed and he booked me in the commercial, and after that I got an agent, and so it became beside thing. I'll be a viking and a commercial and you keep on the copywriting and the subbing and all the other stuff. But I found what the commercial and then that led the movies six nine. So if you can carry the girl, you're automatically a bad guy. So I did a lot of thugs, henchmen, and of course monsters. When you're a monster, you're picking up stunt people and throwing them around. It's a monster. Was always as a child watching Sir Graves, I was always running for the monster anyway, So it was really cool. They're paying you to be a monster, you know what I mean to me, there's nothing more joyous to be a world, to be a big foot or a henchman. If it's a good enough henchmen, you just have a lot of fun. Bad guys are always a lot of fun. And commercials you come in as a viking or a barbarian for Geico or something. You're always construction They played a time, so you're always either construction worker barbarian dog. There's a shock, but to me. Seattle and Detroit. We're always big movie towns, you know what I mean. You have the Fox Theater and the America is the Marathon it's still around.
Speaker 3: No, it's not. I don't think. I'm pretty sure it has. The one out in the Southfield area. Yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: I've seen things out there, but it's been a long time. I don't think it's there anymore.
Speaker 1: Did you ever go to the Marry Melody?
Speaker 3: No, I remember the name, especially reading the movie listings and seeing that.
Speaker 1: When I was like, I think, I'm like the twelth or thirteenth birthday, my big brother took me to the Merry Melody. You can drive and he took me to the Marry Melody and I saw a Sir Grave's ghastly favorite the Creature in the Blackly going in three D, and it was just it was one of those filmmaking experiences where I didn't realize Jaws is my favorite American movie. I didn't realize Jaws took so much from Creature until I saw it, And it was just so magical to have the fish swimming right by your hat. You're right, so you have to touch the fish when we went. I remember there was a girl from U of M or MSU and her boyfriend next to us, and I jumped and flinched a creature because I only see on TV. So when you're seeing the creature in three and DS is a completely different movie. Oh yeah, And it became the greatest film watching experience in my life. This college girl grabs me and pulls me to and goes, don't be afraid, little boy. She goes, I will let the monster hunt you. And we laughed. And after the movie, my big brother goes, I hope you enjoined yourself because her boyfriend wanted to kill you. But it was like to me that that was the joy of movies. And then when we came to California and I started to see movies being made and really excited me. You know what I mean. It's one thing to be three thousand miles away and everything's in theory, and it's another to actually be on the set. One of the things I do is the same thing I've done ever since they were shooting some Albert. The first one I ever crashed was this craptacular Albert Pew and blade Runner knocked off of him. Yeah, well he was What was amazing is it was the first set I was ever on. I met future Child Award winners like the Kyoto brothers were there, and the Kyoto brothers remembered me from being a set crasher. When I started to work on legitimate sets. They would come up to me. One of them hasn't encyclopedic memory and could remember every conversation because he was I want to say it was Charlie. And one of them came up to me and it's three o'clock in the morning and I'm my high school book bag on. I was just so excited to be there, and I think it was Charlie Kyoto and he walked up to me and he goes, you don't belong here. Yeah, well you know what I've been teenager And I go, oh my god, how did you know? And he goes, it's three o'clock in the morning, we're all being paid shit, and you're the only one smiling.
Speaker 3: Ah, that's fantastic.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: Also, you mentioned playing a lot of Vikings and goons and things, and you I think you were in makeup at least four out of five times that you were on Voyager. How is that being under all oh?
Speaker 2: My god.
Speaker 1: Make The funny thing about that is when I was doing Voyager, and I had a commercial agent, and so when you see me in the movie, it was credit and stuff. That was all through My magic Voyager was I knew so many because I would do Fango interviews right, and I knew all the makeup. I knew all the labster start Tek, the magazine. I knew so many makeup artists, the agypts. And they're looking for aliens. They're looking for aliens. And so I wound up my brother Donald and I wound up spending a week at Loan Pine. I had to carry a chest in an episode. But what they liked a lot of guys, the Doug Jones and the Kevin Peter Halls, they're few and far between. Most guys when the creature gigs, they do nothing but bitch and mode in the chair. And I was never a bitcher and a motor. I again, because I was in the horror, I was in the monsters, I was in the movies, and because I usually knew a thumb nerd so I know if I hear your name, I can name all your credits. These guys loved having me in the chair. Because I would ask them. There wasn't an interview or anything. Somebody think Bart Mixon would be doing your makeup for four hours and you're asking Barn about RoboCop. And I met and made friends with Bart when it was a teenage set crasher on some terrible zombie movie. And he was cool. And so when I was doing Voyager or something, I knew almost the entire effects. Guys, wow and to me, and they put me up in loan Pine. In fact, just a great story. So they put me up in loan Pine and it was some crazy two part Voyager. This is where they shot Dunat, Did they shot Stage Coach, iron Man? All these movies were shot there. So what happens is I'm in loan Pine and the stunt tornader likes me, and when we start talking and he's telling funny stories and he knows I know all the stuff he worked on. And so that night when you're in loan pine's a tiny little town. And what happens is the best hotel rooms are named after the biggest stars. You'll have the John Wayne Sweet all this yell that I think at whatever hotel, Donald and I had Lash LaRue, the lash he's like a b movie star. So at the smaller rooms, I had Lash LaRue and Donald was next door on Jebby Hayes. But the stunt coinator on Voyager was a guy named Dennis Madelone. And Dennis had been the stunt double for William cant on The Greatest American Hero, and he was telling me stories about that. And every time I'd run into Dennis, he kept going, you need to do a book on the Greatest American Hero. And I thought, he's right, but you engage interest with your publishers, and like did they wanted to Buck Rogers book first, and then I did one of the Hunk and Dennis Dennis. Every time the Hunk threw somebody in every third episode, it's Dennis, you know. And they have Dennis as well, like kind of a biker I all but long hair, so then you usually have Dennis's hair canned up to play a soldier or whateverwhere else. So I kept seen like Dunnet and je Lebelle over and over, and I thought when I started doing these books, I thought, we got to hear their stories. I did two pages on Donnis for the whole Companion, and then when I did Greatest American Hero with donnis Man. He's like one of the best connected stunt men you'll ever meet, Can you everybody.
Speaker 3: I have your Greatest American Hero book? And I didn't realize, like, for whatever reason, I was just like, oh, yeah, I know this author, I know this name, but I didn't realize that or so aired you're jealous companion that I have the Hulk book like on my wish list, to the Buck Rogers book on my wish list. So it's just, oh, this guy's something. How did the Jones book come about?
Speaker 1: Draws is my favorite American movie and it's literally I found this out when I was doing my due diligence before I did the book. I found it's like he all as Jurassic Pomp, Star Wars, Top Gun and is one of the nine most often run movies on Basic Cable. When Jaws was coming up, I started it before I did it, and I was going to go with it. There was a bad publisher and he violated all the terms of the contract that he sent me, and I just thought, hold with that. I'm not going to write a book for someone who's trying to screw me, and I just threw it in a drawer. And then Martha's Vineyard was doing something called Jaws first, and my brother Donald, Donald's kind of my Jiminy Cricket. So my brother Donald comes to me and says, hey, you ought to think about doing this thing on Martha's Vineyard and the Jaws will get broken my heart because this guy had violated everything he was. He was just a bad guy, and his publishing companies out of business, and rightfully, I left a bad taste in my mouth. And I told Donald I'm not going to go to Martha's Vineyard less they advertised, and when they added Benchley in somebody else, I thought, oh my god, I'd better go. This is the last round up for a lot of these guys. And I'd waited too long. What I did is I screwed up. I went it too long, and the Plaine ticket was like a thousand bucks, you know, And I thought, I guess I'm not going, and my brother Donald goes, I'll get a series of driveaways, and so like the Hitcher, but you to drive someone's car halfway across country, then you pick up someone else's car from there. I think we drove the last step from Chicago to New York. I drove with Chicago Wolves. I was a sportsman, the one that used to sell football games, because that was the only place where I could lay in the back for all the camera clip it. It was the only van I had one couldn't actually sleep on my back and send it hunched over like's. It was a satellite trunks. So I got there, I grabbed a Lucky I hit in New York, I hit Times Square. It's radclock in the morning. I got out a Lucky Town. There was a Gambler's bus, Chinatown Gambler's bus, and I took in at the woods Hole and jumped the ferry over. And then what I didn't realize is that the place was all booked up and it's prohibitally expensively bring a car. And what happened is all that was left. Everybody booked them, all the Joss fanatics from across the country, including a family from Michigan. I remember running into the painted the Jaws, shoe water Skier and Shark on the side of their van for the job all the way on and because everything was booked up, I was staying at the Kent Crowd, which is probably the cheapest thing on the island and I'd been trying my brother packed at the intent and he forgot the ten stakes. So when we get there, I'm trying to assemble the tent in the pouring rain, and I didn't have the thing in it, and he jumped like, we need to move in front there in case so nobody rides us over. I didn't realize our heads were lying right in the tread of the next area campground where he picked up spots. And it gets better, Mike. It was skunk season, so they're had a great shower. But I remember using my cell phone and show you'd see what looked like black and white cats walking towards you, and they were all skunks, like an army of skunks. And the great thing is what happened is two guys from Boston who were Giant Jaws fanatics. Their names are in the book mark I think Scott Rummel and somebody else. They were like, when we saw that I was getting interviews, they saw the Universal took care of me on the island to make sure I get all my interviews. They're like, can we drive you? And it's s John because otherwise on the tram or whateverlse because they'd been there many times. They showed me the Jaws tour. There's a reason that's not in the book. I mentioned it, but I don't showed because it was three o'clock in the morning and I didn't want the to think it was a serial killer. But the house next to the house from the original film had this brass plaque on the side of the house you can see in the original Jaws and it says Jaws shot here. And I mean, it was just so exciting because I'd never been to Martha's Vineyard before, but I knew my way around because of the movie. And it's one of those Touchstowe movies for me that I've seen it and loved it, and it was just I could recognize. And for the Jaws Fest, which is the event Universal sponsored, MCA had all the stores put up all the signs from the first two movies and everywhere you're going, and we watched the movie at the movie theater where they used to screen the dailies, and it was next to see guys I interviewed every when I could down on the West Coast, Roy Arbogast, Joe Alves, who busted out the original storyboards. Roy Albert Gast busted out the tabletop shot that they shopped the original movie. That sold them on the original movie. And when I got Golli, it was Elves God leaving the arbagaster my first three interviews, and the three of them were so great and so knowledgeable and so kind. It paved the way, and thank God. The weird thing is I don't get starstruck about and they signed me Natalie Portman or Christine Vale or something like that, who chairs their next people the interesting stories. But when Chrissy from Jaws agreed to an interview, it was like many royalty from me, you know what I mean. God rest her soul. We just lost a few months ago. But it was so exciting to hear her stories. And it's just to me Bill Butler giving me a long afternoon and marrying a delay, and he just Bill Butler talking to you about Jaws and Godfather and Rocky and Greece. My god, he lived to a hundred What really made me happy? He lived to one hundred and two. And when he passed, Variety quoted book and his obituary. That to me, because I'm thinking I asked him every question, every conceivable question of Jaws that could be asked. I asked, but he's been in documentaries and stuff. But when you got him talking and he really dug deep, great great stories.
Speaker 3: I love the way that you put the book together, this idea of the list of these things, rather than it just being straight ahead chapter one, chapter two is no, here's all of these kind of smaller chapters, the smaller pieces that all add up to that marvelous film.
Speaker 1: What really excited me about is we're going to talk about Jaws and the Jaws franchise. You've got to talk about the elements that work. And I remember some critic attacked by book and they go, who cares about all the victims of the original Shark? Who cares what Missus Kentner has a saying? And I thought, you don't get it, Missus Kittener, Alex Jenner. They're pawning the experience, you know what I mean mean all the little moments. And because I came from an Ardit background, I like sideboss. I like the interesting. I want to know what Missus Kittener is thinking. I want to know what Alex Kittener is thinking. I want to hear from Teddy Grossman, everybody in Jaws has a store, and it's such a big franchise. What shocked me is there's Jaws two and Jaws the Revenge books, out Bound Chunks and all the stories that I uncovered in my book. They went there and I thought, wow, John Hancock talked to me, the original Jaws two director. And the great thing about that is when I got John and his wonderful wife who's now gone now and she got completely cheated. She's the one who came over the water scale. And if you look at the original nineteen eight Jaws two paperbacks by Hank Cyles, they mentioned her by name. And the great thing about her is when John and Hancock called me, I got her in there as well. And because the second poud for the incredible Hunk, I doubled because when am I going to talk to her again, I got her telling the amazing Josh Hues store during her amazing Joss two stories. She told me the incredible stories about the Hullck where they basically blackballed the couple after he got replaced on Joss two. Universal MCA was actively trying to blackball them and cancel them. And what happened is Kenneth Johnson the creator of the Hog TV series. He's a champion of the underdogs and he hired her immediately for the incredible haulk Returns the second pilot and Dorothy Tristan's her name, by the way, I just realized they haven't been saying her name. Yeah, So Northy was an actress and a runner and the water Skier, which they made the whole campaign for Josh two. That was the whole campaign and she got no krintin on the She gets credited on the gip her back, but they denied her all credit on the movie and that was that's not right. And her draft of Josh two and the one Handhot was doing. It's more interesting. When they fired the Hancocks, they just sit. Shinberg just had them do a beat for beating Jaws two. Yeah it's Jaws. I mean if you look at jos Hugh next to Jaws. They keep all in the scare. And I'm not gonna blame Dolly be HEA's run in the last minute. Instead of the kids karate chopping the fences, you have this the kid with the CB radio, all this all this stuff without and he finds the burned woman. Jean Culture's burned body at the exact moment Ben Gardner's had in the original film, and it just it's beneath Jaws two to I like the stories, but it was beneath and I was annoyed by the Joss wo and four books because they literally took every story from my book and I don't think one of them got Hancock or the other guy. And it's okay. I like my book standing alone. Covering all four. There's good stories to be found. But to me, Jaws two is amazing how it came together. So Spielberg basically told them, if you wait for me, I'll do it after post Encounters, and they didn't want to wait.
Speaker 3: Other than Indiana Jones, I don't see Spielberg doing a lot of sequels, you know.
Speaker 1: What, not in his call presally because he didn't want to do Jaws too. He would have do Clinton Indianapolis, which is a different movie altogether. It's a war movie. Spielberg likes war movies, and yeah, he'll happily produced Gremlins and Gumlin's two and all that, but he wasn't really interested in doing sequels himself. Like you said, Indiana Jones, he dedly lost World thank you. There was too much money on the table. But Juno Schwark, who directed jows too. He goes, he always throws insults, and sure enough Spielberg said when somebody said, why are you doing the Lost World because you've never done a sequel outside indeed, and he literally Spielberg literally told them I didn't want another Joss to in my own that just personal.
Speaker 3: Guess did you find stuff that still surprised you even if all that time?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, this stuff the Hancocks losingly. Jig is heroin. One of the things he did when he fired a Juble actor when one bad actress and what never turned out was a Universal Execs mistress, I'll tell you who off the air. Yeah, And he didn't know that. So that's the type of bear trap. This poor guy been doing the Indians and good stuff, like banging the drums slowly, so he had no idea that he stepped into a bear trap. He and his wife literally came in. He didn't less scared of Jessica to death. He wanted to make the scariest Jaws too possible and bowing the town going into bankruptcy, which was the big fear in the first movie. In the first book. He was literally trying to give you a Joss to remember, and you got it. I hate that they got smashed so hard. Just they were really trying to give you a good movie. But I hate when Joss three D grows on me. The Richard Matheson original draft. It was so much better. It was. His original draft was more along the lines of the nineteen sixteen Metagline Creek Shark attacks before they put it in the Sea World, and when they put it in the Sea World, it basically became Gorgol Meat's Revenge of the Creature. And if you see Jaws three D, see jaw Us three D in a theater in three D, and it's like the greatest movie you've never seen from nineteen fifty five. It's it's almost a period piece except for the modern haircuts of her modern eighties haircuts and the giant dollars, of course, being the eighties. It's literally a fifties horror movie and it's very stolid, and I actually dig it in three D. The version they run on AMC and the Cybi channel looks like it's covered in milk. They didn't fix the print, they didn't adjust the three D for TV and it looks like crap, But if you see it in a theater in three D like I did the studio, the Egyptian dug out a mint front of it to run with the meg and it was just fantastic just to see it again.
Speaker 3: You tell me a little bit about the Greatest American Hero book, But what was your inspiration for that one? I mean a huge fan of the show.
Speaker 1: I love the show, but the thing is it was one of those cult shows you forget existed. Canell had so much success in the anties that don't do between the seventies and eighties. He is known to Rodford Files and the anti people completely forget about Greatest American Hero. And during COVID, when COVID was dominating everything, I remember they were announcing the lockdown. My brother Donald hadn't made a cup of coffee and if he wanted to get away from the death holes and all that. On a Saturday morning, he put on a channel called Heroes and Icons H and I and they were shling the best best scenario and I started watching it and literally it was a first season episode. Nothing big on the mythos happens in the episode is the last episode of the first season. But you know what, it's nge show. And I was watching it, drinking this coffee, trying not to think about COVID and the shutdown, what's going to mean? And it was perfect Escape us Fair and it was really charming. It was well written, it was character driven. William Katt, Connie Silica, and Robert Culp were utterly fantastic, and I just thought, and I'm picture great.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: What I liked about my books is I didn't want to do something that had been covered by their people. It's like saying, I'm gonna do a book on driving on James Bond or Star Wars. That's all well trodden crowd. And it blew me away that Hero had never ever had a book, nobody had written about it. That's what appealed to me. I print bullying anything incredible. Hulk had never gotten a book, and The Hulk became my biggest book. It was two pounds. But I was so beaten down and I said, I'm never going to do another show that went five seasons and just keeped the hell out of me. I was just and I interviewed over one hundred people at a certain point it's not even for the gig. I'm a completist. And if I'm gonna chump down that tree, I'm not gonna knock off a branch. I'm chomping everything. I need to know everything. And with that book, I couldn't stop writing it. I remember feeling like I was having a nervous breakdown because I was halfway to the third season and there was like a hundred things ahead of me, and a hundred things. It was too big to quit, and it was too big to it felt too big to continue. Who the hell is this book for? And my brother is my brother Thomas. You can't do the TV movies And I thought, yeah, but somebody out there is gonna buy this book for one god knows how much it's gonna cost, and they're gonna want the TV movies. And literally, if you look, I think I do like a hundred pages on the TV movies alone and the botch She hugged piet So when Hero came along, when I saw him that morning, I pitched it and they passed on Hero for buck Rong for whatever reason, it had a future film. You know, I've done Hero, but it really shocked me how quickly forgotten it was, you know what I mean? It was one of those shows when they re run it. Everybody loves it, everybody watches it, but people forget that it exists. I remember Robert Coup's obituar are they use a publicity still f in the show? But they never mentioned greatest American Hero in its little bit? I thought that stinks when Canel's a bit, they never mentioned greatest American Hero? And if the show really deserve respect? And what I didn't cone on because again after I did Let's see Honk was five seasons, buck Rogers with two seasons, but that was a lot of work too because there was a feature film and I had to cover all that. So when I got and with the Hunk, I couldn't stop writing. I think when I did the book, I covered the Angling movie because I interviewed Angling for Starlog and a couple other magazines and for Hank Choo. I'd interviewed the Fetch Guy and a few and notes to Hamily and all that, and then they announced the Avengers movie and I was stuck. It was literally stuck because I thought, if I don't get this book out and no, I'm gonna have to cover Avengers and that the book's gonna be I literally had to peel the book from my own fingers and get out of my own way and an assent never going to write a two pound book again. So when I did hear it, yeah, I see no more. And the Hero was three seasons, but it's an abbreviated It was a mid season replacement, so it's a half season in the beginning and a half season at the end. The third season was canceled hel way through, so it's roughly two seasons. And oh my god, piece of cake. And you sent me of the book. You can look. It's twenty eight pages longer than Hunk and it's the shortest show I've ever covered. And what happened is it was a rabbit hole. Every time I got in, things led to other things led that, and I was I'm lucky that I got everybody before they died. Frank Lupo died when the book was just about to come out, and I thought, thank god, I went to this event and got Loopo and I grabbed canal here on. So everybody who died I had. And I think that is the most complete book where you have everybody. When I started Hulk. Colvin had died like three years earlier, and I'd found I knew people who older actors I interviewed for Starleam the bird Woman Barbara Luna, the Beautiful bird Woman from Buck Rogers. Turns out she was dear friends with Jack Colvin and I interviewed. When I interviewed the girlfriend the Last Extorcism, Ashley Bell. Her mom had done two episodes of The Incredible Hulk and was the first Victoria Carroll Bell. She was the first girl to play. She hulkeed, she voiced, she hulked on the cartoon, and she married the cartoons Bruce Banner, which is Michael Bell, who was like the King voiceovers. I knew Mike because I did a ginormous if you look at the old starlog, I had a ten page thing where I tracked down every living member of the Superfrince. It was an insane amount of work, especially for an auticle. You interview one guy, you get paid. When you stupidly masochistically do an article like this, You're interating fifteen people for the same price you would get for one. I have an auditle on the New Dark Side. If you got you go to Bonds and Noble. I cover a horror movie called Bad Moon, and I mean I got Michael. I did a table read for a great forty style film nor where I'm murdering people and Mike is a Mike Perey is a detective trying to get me. And really I play a sewikiller called the bed Bug, and he's trying to catch me. And I remember I met Mike there and then I interviewed him for a Bad Mood uticle. And when I interview him for Bad Moon, I thought I might as well get all my greatest America and Yard questions on him. And so I did another movie called It's On to Me, I Think, and it's on Amazon. It's called Out of the Shadows. And I'm a serial killer with a value over I had in a small town and he, Robert Romantis from Fast Times at Ridgemond High are trying to catch me. And I'm thinking, the hilarious thing is I'm working out with these guys. I saw not to mention to Michael. I'm working on this book because I don't distract from the work. And the hilarious thing is the picture of Michael in the book is a picture I took of him on when we're shooting this serial killer movie in Ohio. I knew like this, and the director and everybody were giving me cramp I'd been out of Michigan in the Midwest so long. I didn't have any down coats. I didn't have any furry coats to work, so I threw in my Michigan hooty and the director, God bless him, great guy picked me up at the airport and he goes, mister, that shirt is not going to fly around here. And I forgot about the Michigan Ohio rivalry. See, my sister Diane is married to my brother in law Jim. My brother in law Jim went to Ohio State and my parents went to the U of M. So when Diane brought Jim home, Mom jokes, I guess it's gonna be a mixed marriage. Everybody Ohio made sure to cramp up in my Michigan hoodie every time they saw.
Speaker 3: So it sounds like you're still very busy with the pieces that you're rating and everything. Are you working on another book anytime soon?
Speaker 1: My next book gent on the publishing and that'll be a surprise when it runs some preview. But I have a comic book coming out next year called Cosplayer Versus Shark. It's actually it's it's the long line is it's basically a bunch of cosplayers go on in a ricketty boat. There's an unscrupulous Sci Fi channel type producer who sends them out to catch the shot that ain't a comic book legend. And what they don't know is it's a secret reality show where all the guns on board are fact. They have no professionals with them, and they're being set up by the captain of the ship to be by a shock on camera. What do you want? So it's an action comedy. Sean Spaky Piela does the amazing artwork and I would show it to you. Unfortunately, the only artwork I can show you is on my phone since we're talking on it. I promise you, Mike, it'll be worth seeing. It'll be in comic shops across the country next year. The amazing thing about it is it was one of those things that I was so happy to put it together with one of those COVID projects I was thinking about. I was doing it. I had a script that had been optioned like three times, and it was going to turn into the comic book. My artist injured his hand, and so I grabbed another artist and I had this weird idea, and you know what idea is good when you keep coming up with ancillary. I came up with a great tagline for it, which I won't reveal. It'll be on the comic book. You'll dig it. The comera will be very from if you know what I'm saying. It's an homage or something. But Mike, that will be out next year and I think it'll be well worth checking out.
Speaker 3: Is there a good place for people to keep up with all your projects online?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm on Instagram. I'm Jenkie twenty ninety nine, Jay and Ki two zero ninety nine. Pat Jagubin's on Facebook if you want to surf and see what I'm working on. I have a movie called GPS where I lure a bunch of influencers to my mansion and start picking them off one by one. That's my b Harrison Smith. You like this because he's a develop Midwesterner. He is very smart, he's very cool. I think we're going to collaborate on a book. I can't tell you what yet, but it's really cool. He wrote a great script called Eyes Behind the Trees, but update on Doctor Moreau that Anthony Hopkins loved and agreed to do, so that's coming. Yeah, And Harrison's somebody to watch more. He's just he's an interesting tat. It was fun to do. Gosh, what else am I work on? It's the comic book really sites man, because it's after Greatest America Hero. I'm like, when you get a good story, to hear the rest of the story, you'd have to find someone else from the oh knew what was going on. And I remember thinking when I was finishing Hero, which was like two and a half pounds, it was my biggest book, and I remond thinking, I just want to make up all the facts next time. And if you write it, it's yours, it's Mike. I look forward to hearing what you think about it. I think you'll dig it. Your artwork is fantastic, and I just I'm really happy with it. I think you will be too.
Speaker 3: Patt, thank you so much for your time. This is wonderful.
Speaker 1: Thank you, good sir.
Speaker 2: Same Ma