Speaker 1: It's Game three of the World Series, and we're very lucky to have the manager of the National League champion Dodgers with us, the one and only Dave Roberts.
Speaker 2: Dave, thanks a lot for the time. Great to catch up with you during the World Series.
Speaker 3: Oh thanks, Dave. It's good to be here with you. And you know, had a good workout yesterday. So there's no place I'd rather be here than at Yankee Stadium.
Speaker 1: I have a big smile on my face all October because I think, finally there is some Dave Roberts validation out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what, I'm feeling it as well, feeling the love as they say, and it's it's always good. And you know, you always try to put your best, your best foot forward and do the best for the organization, the players, and you know, right now the players are performing and I couldn't be happier.
Speaker 2: Dave.
Speaker 1: I remember the night before your first playoff game this October, you were steadfast in your belief in these players.
Speaker 2: What gave you that belief?
Speaker 3: I just felt that this team, like all teams are different from year to year, but I just felt this team was had really gone through it, really as some of our guys have said, We've were battle tested, We've gone through a lot of injuries, ups, downs, people counting us out. And this is like the first year I felt like we were underdogs and just to see the way our guys responded a lot of different points of the season just and you know, kind of cemented that belief going into the postseason.
Speaker 1: What's it like as a manager to have your belief rewarded by the way the players have played for each other.
Speaker 3: It's everything I think that you know, managers want players to play well, perform for the team, But the biggest I think that you can continue to build off of and the thing that shows the most fruits is when they play for each other and they care for one another. And it's for me, it's the most satisfaction I've ever had.
Speaker 1: You have sho Hao Tani leading off a lot of talk about the left shoulder. What did you see from him last night today that made you believe that he's good to go.
Speaker 3: He came in yesterday, got treatment, got it taped up, took swings off a live arm off the tee and he wasn't compromised at all. And regardless I asked how he felt he goes no matter what how I feel, I'm going to be in the lineup tomorrow, So that was good enough for me.
Speaker 2: Hey, you'll love this.
Speaker 1: I sent Cody Bellinger a text right after game two and he diagnosed it right away.
Speaker 2: I think he was speaking from firsthand experience.
Speaker 3: Yeah he was, And I hope the same thing happens where Cody ended up hitting a homer and hopefully Showhy does the same thing.
Speaker 1: You got Walker Bueller on the mountain tonight, Dave. It feels like you did not just pick his name out of the hat. He's the right guy for this type of environment.
Speaker 3: He absolutely is. I think that, you know, three is a very pivotal swing game in a lot of seven game series, and right now we have a chance to go for the jugular first game on the road, and there's just no better option that we have than Walker Buehler, Who's you know, been through a lot of situations, pitching a lot of big games and perform really well. So I couldn't be more excited to have him on the stage.
Speaker 1: When he pitched in New York, you were very pleased with him giving you four scoreless innings, So would you feel the same way tonight.
Speaker 3: I would absolutely, and I think in the postseason it's about getting out. And I don't know how many pitches he's gonna throw. I don't know how many outs or how many hitters he's going to go through, just you know, go until he can't go anymore. But like you said, a city field against the Mets, four shutout was all we needed.
Speaker 1: And here at Yankee Stadium, you got a bullpen game tomorrow and obviously you're bullpen's ready.
Speaker 2: I asked you this the other night.
Speaker 1: The identity of this bullpen, it really feels like they've leaned into it. Have you ever seen a group of relievers that are foaming at the mouth to get into the game.
Speaker 3: You know what, it's fun to see. You know, there's some guys that are clean shaven, some guys that have ponytails and beards, But to see them as dogs, it's awesome. And certainly they've kind of embraced that kind of narrative, that mantra, that identity, and we wouldn't be here without those guys.
Speaker 2: Hey, Dave, this started.
Speaker 1: When you took over as the manager. The culture of relievers not thinking about innings, but groupings of hitters it doesn't feel like those group of guys could do what you're asking if you didn't put that mindset back in twenty fifteen, twenty sixteen.
Speaker 3: You're right, You're right, and I think that it's certainly a culture thing. There's a buy in there, Certainly there's talent. But I think that we've seen it. You've seen it firsthand that I asked these guys to do a lot of different things and check their egos and they ultimately understand that I'm putting them in the best position to have success and they're thriving. So yeah, we've come a long way and just certainly proud of this Bullpen.
Speaker 1: Hey, you put the culture in place when you took over in twenty sixteen. This is your fourth World Series. You're two wins away from being a champion again. Thanks a lot for the time, and look forward to having another conversation with you down the road.
Speaker 3: I look forward to it, Dave. Let's get it.