Speaker 1: Welcome to the Funny Kind with Erica Gummeny, bringing heart, humor, and hope to everyday life. Laughter and love really do make a difference, and Erica's here to prove it. Part deep Dive, part stand up for the Soul, this show blends humor, heart and real talk to help you stop believing the lies that hold you back. Whether she's flying solo or chatting with guests, Erica brings her signature mix of authenticity, wit and wisdom, reminding you that growth doesn't have to be so serious. So pull up a chair, exhale, and get ready to laugh, reflect, and reconnect with the extraordinary human you already are, because this is the Funny Kind where humor meets healing and inspiration meets action.
Speaker 2: Hello, everyone, thanks for being with us on well, at least recording. It's a hot summer day on July first, and it's it's a little hot outside, so I'm glad we're inside and air conditioning, so all I have to say thank God for air conditioning. So welcome to this episode of the Funny Kind. I'm very excited to have this conversation with a dear friend of mine and someone who I know that you are going to love and learn from and relate to. Her name is Susan Marshall. I'm just going to tell you a little bit about her.
Speaker 3: Hi, Susan, Hey Erica at the Hot Summer July first.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, for those of you that are watching, we're both we're both sleeveless. Yeah, we are, which you know. Yeah, So let me tell you a little bit about Susan. She is an author, a public speaker, a leadership advisor whose professional experience spans decades, and a global geography. Susan's done a lot of work in the public and private sectors, in nonprofit agencies, public education, and her passion is really to advocate for improve confidence, confidence and effective risk taking. I've seen Susan do a lot of different workshops and seen her speak, and she has a wonderful way of exuding confidence and humility at the same time. There's not a there's not a for lack of a better word, of cockiness about her that makes you go m it's a it's an authentic confidence that I really admire and am inspired by. So I love how you show up, my friend.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well. Susan is the author of four books hundreds of articles. I love her books, I love her articles. She writes a little locally, she's been a guest lecturer. I mean, we could go on and on. A few years back, Susan launched something called Compassion Chats, which is a really cool way to bring Alzheimer's and dementia care providers to the caregiver community and an effort to kind of dispel the loneliness and helplessness that often comes with the caregiving journey. So, you knows, as we move in our careers, at one moment in our career, we're maybe talking about another topic, and then years later here we're in a different season of life. So, but Susan's books, and I'll give the link to everything that you can find her blog and all of her information. She just shares such a wealth of information at Susanmarshall dot com. So that'll be in the description. But Hi, Susan officially, welcome.
Speaker 3: Hello Erica. Officially. It's wonderful to be welcomed. You know, I was thinking about we go back so far, Yeah, and have shared so many things that are delightful and frightening and very very real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Susan is one of those people that when you see her across the room, there's a there's a connection that you make that is real, and it's almost like we're checking in with each other. And then when we do sit down and have a one on one conversation, there is no chit chat. It is immediately deep.
Speaker 3: And isn't that fun. There's so much titter chatter, there's so much noise. It's like, you know, what, what are we talking about?
Speaker 2: That's what are we talking about?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, So in.
Speaker 2: Today's podcast, we are talking about being free, and we picked that topic because it aligns with the theme of my book, Journey from the Ashes. You know, Shameless plug every month in the in the book as a different theme, and we're walking through lies that hold us back in our journey from the Ashes of our pain are past whatever might be holding us back, and so in this month of July, we're talking about being free. And when I thought about that, I thought about Susan, because I see Susan. I see you, Susan as someone who lives. You know, the last couple episodes, people have said be where your feet are. I have had two bit different people say that, I feel like you are in your self. You know you are just who you are, and it means you're having fun. It means you're playing, it means you're serious, it means all the things that you are, and you are who you are, and you are free. When I think of free, you resonate with to me with that, So what does free mean to you?
Speaker 3: You know, I love what you just said, because being free to me means being who you are. Now that can take a very long time to discover exactly who that is, because we're told from the time our first feet hit the floor and we take our very first tippy tippy steps, we're total we are and then we try to live into that expectation. Right. We talk about expectation a lot, and I've finally, over many many years and many painful episodes, and you know, many of them came to appreciate and understand. And I don't think there's a moment right where we're We're in church and we're in a service and there's a sermon, and two things I remember so very clearly. One is that people think church is this holy place and the pastor who was speaking said, this is not celebration of what this is a hospital for sinners. Yeah, and I thought, yes, and I belong here. And then the second thing that really struck me is do you have any idea what it means when you hear the words you are God's daughter? And that blew my mind. I'm like, I know, right, because I know all the stuff, I know all the gunk, I know everything that's been wrong, and I'm like, yeah, God doesn't have time for me, oh no, but he does. That Erica for me was just a almost like an opening up.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: And you hear people in this world, on this planet with us, who are every bit is broken, who are every bit is frightened of being exposed, who are also God's children, And when we can relate to each other with a measure of comp passion with the giggles once in a while, right, it's like yeah, who. It is so freeing to understand that the people who told you who you are or were were telling you about them, not about you.
Speaker 2: M wow. So freedom means free free to you and what that means to you. And when Susan and I were talking about this podcast, because we could like we could be here for eight hours, you know, we could be here till the season's change, and it gets chilly outside, we could, but we were thinking about like a lot of in a lot of spaces, and like coaching and things like that. There's talk of your future self and imagining visualizing yourself in a new place, where you want to be, where your goals are, where you've achieved whatever. And we thought, wouldn't it be fun if we in the current Erica and Susan place go talk back to the old Erica and the old Susan. You know, twelve versions of ourselves ago, right, what would we tell them when it comes to freedom?
Speaker 3: You know, the very first word Erica that came to my mind just now, and I don't remember if we talked about this is relax. Relax. You don't have to be there in thirty five seconds. You don't have to respond every time somebody asks you a question. You don't have to be angry or upset because people are demanding things of you you don't want to do. Relax.
Speaker 2: You get to choose ooh, relax. You know, I look back at when I talk to little Erica, who I've had a lot of conversations with writing this book and doing a lot of the work that happens in your older age when your kids are grown, and you kind of go okay, right, Reset, yeah, Reset, what's going on? And I look at her and I feel relaxed. I hear what you're saying, and I feel you know this this constant. I don't like, we are not experiments to be proven right or wrong. And so I always felt like I had to prove myself or reach some goal, reach, do be busy, do to prove that I am worthy and wanted. And a lot of the things in the book are things this is for me, you know, worthy, wanted, loved enough, right and free, love, Sorry enough?
Speaker 3: What is it? Says?
Speaker 2: Who? Oh, oh my gosh, yes, so yes, probably Susan's next book or keynote or teeth, shirts or sticker or something, says who tell us more about that? So, just to finish my thought, I was just gonna say that what I would tell little Erica is that you are enough, like you're saying, and you are God's daughter like you said, and honey, you are, Oh my goodness, look at you just the way you are. Look at your hazel eyes. Look at your squinty little hazel eyes. Look at your strawberry belond here. Look at how you make people laugh. Look at you. Look at what a connector you are of people. Look at how well you take care of those people. Look at you, Like my pastor always says, look at you, look at that. He's so sweet, and it's like, oh, you know, we're so turned hard on ourselves.
Speaker 3: Yeah we are.
Speaker 2: Oh, so let's talk about this. Who says? I love it because I'm like, that's what she said. That's a different that's a different tone, right.
Speaker 3: Right, right, No, the who says comes from, as we talk the other day, expectations from the time we come out of the womb. There are expectations placed on us by our parents. When are you going to take your first step? When are you going to say your first word? When are you going to eat your first solids? When are you going to be potty trained?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: When are you going to learn to When I said clean up your room, You're going to go clean up your room? Right. Then we go to school and we have teachers, and we have coaches, And if we go to church, we have ministers and we have you know, leaders in the church. Then we have coaches. Perhaps if we're in sports, then we have bosses. Then we have corporations, then we have society, and then we have social media. Oh oh man. And so when I hear probably the most adamant demands placed on me, and it's always a work as you know, it says who, Yeah, it says who who. It's like, you know, one, we're two. You're not the boss of me.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Nobody is the boss of us except the one who made us.
Speaker 2: Oh. I'm thinking of a talk that I did recently called who do you Think You Are? And I had a mirror up on the stage with different colored post it notes, and just like you're saying, like, this is all the people, all these things that people have told me, and it covers up the mirror so much that I can't even see myself anymore, right, and this stage of life that we're in, or whatever is happening in your life that you might be listening right now where you're like, something's got to give here, man. And now I'm like looking at all these post it notes and I'm like, what is this? Throw that out?
Speaker 3: What is this?
Speaker 2: And And now once I've kind of cleaned it up and I can see myself now, you don't dare be put no post it notes on my mirror unless you go through God and me first.
Speaker 3: Right, well, and I think there's a there's sort of an enigma buried in that because as long as there are posting notes covering the mirror, I don't have to see what I really look like you. I can just be who I am. And I think if women generally, and this was in my book of Beauty and Substance, if you got away from the mirror and got out into the world, you'd be a much happier human.
Speaker 2: Oh too much self focus and.
Speaker 3: It's encouraged and it is It goes back to that word enough. If you don't look quite like this, if you have this wrinkle bag, sag, gray, heir, whatever that is, then you're not enough. You know that's not right. You are somehow deficient. And if we as efficient, however we find deficient or we're taught to be deficient. Yeah, that's when I get stubborn. Now, I say, he says, who's who? You know what? I reject that I become Now. I don't reject it just because I'm rebellious and I am. I reject it because that is your definition of b which does not sit well, which does not accurately describe, and it's not true. It's just not true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that had to have required a lot of work to pull that back and dig into what you what was it holding you in bondage? Let's say that you weren't even aware of. Can you think of an example. I'm just throwing this, I mean, Joe.
Speaker 3: You know it's it's kind of a funny thing to say, but when I was in eighth grade, my mother sewed a lot of her clothes, which was a source of tremendous embarrassment to us, right, particularly in grade school. Well, she saw in my eighth grade graduation dress, which was hideous, but it's what she wanted, not what I wanted. So and she had these little cuffs right that she was making and she's like, oh, Susie, you're getting so fat. That stayed with me my entire life. Oh and I thought, you know, adolescent. I mean, I'm watching my granddaughters now beautiful young women. Adolescence, puberty, Yes, you gain weight, your your body is developed, it's blossoming. And that was completely destroyed for me. And I carried that definition for years. Hmm. And it's so silly, but it was so damaged. I mean, you and I have talked about this over the years. The things you hear as a child, you have no means of there's no benchmark for them. So you hear them, you say, well, that must be true because this person who I'm dependent on from anything. Oh yeah, it must be true. Yes, yeah, how how do you? How did so we're going back to talk to our old, our old susan. Yeah I heard that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Other than saying that's not true, don't listen to that. How do you?
Speaker 3: How do you come?
Speaker 2: How do you It's almost like I'm thinking of Harry Potter when when Dumbledore takes out that memory and pulls it out. How do you?
Speaker 3: How do you?
Speaker 2: How did you find a way to freedom from that?
Speaker 3: Well? It's interesting because it was not easy and it was not linear, and it took many, many, many, many years. I was a comfort food eater, potato chips, bring them baby. I loved to bake. So when I babysat there was one family. It's so funny. We're thinking about this now because it's mortifying as I think about it now, But it's funny. She was a baker. And so the kids will go to bed and I go through all the cupboards. What did she make ooh these bars, and I would just anything I can get in my mouth was my comfort, which of course made the problem worse. But I didn't know how to deal with the rejection, the abandonment, the judgment, all that felt like. And so I ate, and I still do, by the way, But you know, I work out, So it's all good. But we, as I said, when we're children and we hear things that are so discordant from how we see our own selves, and we have no means of even understanding it, Yeah, we can't cope. And so I think, as we talked the other day, there's there are these episodes and even whole chapters of our lives that are very difficult, that are very dark, that are so discouraging, and they are all necessary on the journey to freedom. Oh yes, And I just got sick of being, you know, a chunkster. I just got sick of it. I'm like, okay, well what do I do instead? And I find different found different ways. What I what I have learned repeatedly over the years, Erica, is if I can be curious about something I get outside of me, that's very very helpful.
Speaker 2: Oh, I really love that. If you can get curious about something you step outside of yourself. Yeah, and and don't you think And I think this is why the journey from the Ashes book and the long process that that took me. And it's not like, oh the book is over, I'm free, I'm fixed.
Speaker 3: No good luck for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if i'd be, i'd be we'd be sitting at a beach having this conversation if that was tough, because I'd be making billions. But what what it taught me is and I've been sober from alcohol for just over two years since the day my sister passed away. Wasn't inten to be a sober journey or anything. That wasn't like you know, rock Bottom or anything like that. It was just we were having a lot of trauma that came out of nowhere. It was very traumatic for our family, and I knew that I needed to be really crystal clear to go through that and through that experience. And the book was already being written and working on and things like that. But it when you talk about like the coping mechanisms that we do, it's almost like how those post it notes covered up the mirror. The coping makes it blurry. So I can't see myself.
Speaker 3: Absolutely true, and I was there's some comfort in that I can't see the real me until I am ready. Oh that's such an iterative. I'm ready today, I'm not ready. An hour later, I'm not ready. No, no, put the post is back. It's just it is messy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is messy, and like you said, it's not linear. And I think I just I wrote about this today that a friend of mine wrote a song for me. She's a songwriter. She's an award winning songwriter. She's so cool. She's a dear friend of mine and a breaker of change for women, chains for women. She does this really cool thing called when Stories and has women from talk and it's usually something very intense. She's amazing. And she wrote the song. It's called coming Home to You, Come Home to You. I'll send it to you and put it in the description. But in the beginning of the scene, I made a video to go with her song, with all these different images, and I found a hot air balloon.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Because the sand bags is the stuff that I think about most often. I focus a lot of my time on the sand bags in my life. And why did they say that to me? Why did that happen to me? Why did those terrible things happen? We spent so much time feeling sorry for ourselves, feeling like victims being You know, the book is not called Journey Staring at the Ashes, right, But you had said something that really resonates is that curiosity to be like, isn't that interesting that I feel that way? And I know my therapist taught me about that, but it's like, once you look at it, it loses its power over you. Like you clean a little part of the mirror and you're like, well, that wasn't so bad. Oh, look what I learned because of that? All right?
Speaker 3: Yep, you know it's interesting. Speaking of nonlinear I had an extraordinary opportunity, I don't know, five or six years ago to go to Brunei and work with a global team through the University of Michigan. And it was wonderful and it was awful and it was so different than anything I had done. It was a ten day trip and I came home and I said, I'm not going back. I don't care about their kids. I care about our kids, right. I don't want to be on coaching calls at one o'clock in the morning. But I was so for some reason, it brought everything that I had been told about me that was deficient. It brought it front and center. And I remember one Friday night sitting I went to a friend in University of Wisconsin Madison. I said, how do I travel internationally? She said, Get an antidiarrhea pill. Get a sleeping pill. When you get on the plane in Newark to Singapore, take a sleeping pill. Don't eat anything, don't drink anything. Left I'm like, okay, Well, get on the plane in Newark and you're greeted at would you like a glass of wine? Yes? Or this champagne? Yes? I would. Would you like some mixed nuts so that, yes, I would. Would you like dinner, yes I would. Would you like wine with dinner, Yes I would. So I'm having my own little party. Right. Fabulous all of that, and it was fine. The way back was not the same. But after I got back, for whatever reason, I found myself in one of the darkest tunnels I had ever experienced to that time, and the sleeping pill that I was given was lazop. Now, my next door neighbors said, that's not a sleeping pill. I take two every morning before I go to work. I'm like, okay, I don't have that kind of tolerance anyway. I had probably twenty their teeny tiny little things, twenty and I had a glass of shardin eye and I sat there for twenty minutes Erica and thought, you know what, these are so tiny? This finish that wine. I'm done. Wow, I'm done. I'm gone. I can't do this anymore. I don't know what the hell I'm going to do next. I just said no to this big gig. And I remember sitting there thinking, I just you know, and I'm just tired. I don't want to be happy anymore. I don't want to have people think I got my shit together. Twenty minutes and then I finally went, are you serious? You would do this to your kids, you would do this to your grandkids? Get over yourself. Down the toilet, they went, don't tell the city that, and wine went into the kitchen, down the stake. But it was. It was one of those moments, and I think about so often God's saying.
Speaker 2: Yours to choose, mmm, yours to choose words to choose. Thank you for sharing that very personal situation. I'm sure a lot of people can relate to that, and I'm glad that you are here and me too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I guess the point of that story, Erica is it is not a it's not a linear process. We're better than we're not, but we we always get to choose. And I think that freedom is truly a gift that I think we make light of at times where we probably shouldn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think that that, you know, there's there's so much we could talk about, and I wish we had ours. I think that those moments that you've had, of this clarity of who says what freedom means to you, and the various iterations of Susan and Erica that have happened since you know, our little toes hit the ground. Like you said, we've transformed into different versions of ourselves. And here we are now in this I call it Perry retirement. Midty biddy. I'm not old, I'm not young, I'm not totally gray, but I'm definitely great, you know, like I'm kind of in this weird.
Speaker 3: It is weird.
Speaker 2: And I think back and if I could say, like if I could sit down and like before, she did some things that make me shudder when I remember them, I go, oh, my god, Oh how did I survive that? Oh my gosh, how embarrassing, you know, like when you see old pictures of yourself. Thank god there wasn't social media.
Speaker 3: Amen to that, sister.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like you said, all of those things, rather than feeling shame about it, just it happened. They happened some I'm not proud of. But here I am, and I am God's daughter, and I'm not going to let pardon my language, that shit hold me back anymore. I am who I am, and you don't get to tell me, and even even in me head voice doesn't get to tell me.
Speaker 3: And you will try to tell us, and others will continue to try to tell us. So that's where the ability to just shut up the noise. Yes, essential essential.
Speaker 2: So well, thank you for being here with us. I feel like this time went too fast. Yeah great, Oh my gosh. And I I just love the work that you do that really takes people from you know, kind of that self focus of building your confidence, getting a backbone, feeling strong and confident, to caring for your parents, caring for someone, just the kind of spectrum of life that happens to us and the journey that we're on. And that you bring us alongside you with your vulnerability and your authenticity, so that it opens up these conversations for people. Because in those dark moments that you talked about in that dark tunnel, I know there are people who are feeling that.
Speaker 3: No question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And what would you say to those people who are listening right now who are like, oh my gosh, I'm feeling imprisoned.
Speaker 3: Rest find a friend. You can say that too. You are not alone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you are God's daughter, our son, God's you are God's baby.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you are not alone. Oh my goodness. Well, thank you my friend again. Susanmarshall dot com.
Speaker 3: Such a Susan A. Marshall.
Speaker 2: Susan A. Marshall. Yes, they say I was old Marshall. Hey, all right, well my friend you, thank you and we'll see you guys on the next episode of The Funny Kind by.
Speaker 1: Thanks for tuning in to the Funny Kind with Erica Gummeny, where humor meets healing and inspiration meets action. If this episode made you laugh, think, or become inspired, be sure to like, share and tell a friend who could use a dose of heart and humor today, and don't forget to tune into the funny kind right here on Transformation Talk Radio for more real talk, big laughs, and light bulb moments. Want to connect with Erica and learn more about turning your pivotal moments into powerful growth, visit your pivotalpoint dot com. Until next time, keep laughing, keep laughing, and keep spreading a little bit of funny and a whole lot of kind