Speaker 1: You're listening to Why we do what we do. Welcome to Why we do what we do Mini. I am your host, Abraham, I'm your oh, Shane. We are a psychology podcast. We talk about the things that humans and non human animals do, and sometimes we do both, which is what we're taking on today. But this is a mini which means that it's short, and we put these out on Mondays. Our full length episodes come out on Wednesdays. If you are joining us for the first time, then welcome Thank you for being here. If you're a returning person, then welcome back. We appreciate you hanging around with us. Neither way. If you'd like to support us so you can join us on Patreon, leave us a rating and a review like subscribe, tell a friend. I'll talk more about those at the end of this discussion. But we kind of have a lot of content, so I want to jump in here fairly quickly. But is there anything that I missed or you would like to add as part of our preamble before we get started, Shane, No, I don't think so okay. In the explosion of awareness around autism and like neurodiversity more generally, into the zeitgeist. Over the last couple of decades or so, discussions abound about specify, in this case autism, what it is, why it is, how it is, where it is a veritable cornucopia of wh questions, and along with that comes wildly over the top misconceptions and conspiracies. And sure, cool, glad that that happened.
Speaker 2: I guess yeah, you know, it's that wonderful phenomenon where people over generalize. Right now, So today we are going to explore the extent to which animals can have autism, what this would mean, and how we would know. Yeah, so we are simply going to apply that lens and say what does it look like for autism in animals, non human animals specifically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the whole idea this has become so widely known that now we're thinking, well, maybe animals of autism and humans have a long history of superimposing our experiences of the world onto animate and even inanimate objects throughout history. It's understandable in a sense that as we only have our experiences to draw from, we don't necessarily consider that these might not be universal across all living things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we tend to assume that whatever is going on for all other things in the universe, it must be analogous to our own behaviors and emotions in some fundamental way. So this seems like a pretty audacious and arrogant position to take, but it seems fairly common. We are the center of the universe of course, as humans, So why wouldn't that experience apply to everything in everyone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like, I know what it's like to have the experiences I have. I am a human, and I don't I'm not creative enough to think that yours might be different. So yours must be similar to mine in some particular way, and I'm just going to assume that it is. Yeah, And among humans, I think we have thinking about this awareness we have around things like neurodiversity. We've gotten increasingly better at identifying and providing supports to those of us who struggle with things that maybe feel natural or normal to others of us, where sometimes language develops a little bit different rate or in a different way, or we don't necessarily find the same reinforcers in social engagements and like the same motivation and desire to have those And we have elected to call the way that people show up differently in the world neuro divergent, which of course implies that there is some normal from which neurology can diverge. But anyway, that is a thing that we've done, and it does help, like, it does help provide supports that may be needed to people who might need them. So for now, I think it's pragmatic to identify that there is maybe a thing called neurodivergence because there are some people who need more supports than others in certain areas. But that's about as much as I'm willing to give that, I think.
Speaker 2: Okay, Now, there has been an increased effort in both research and in culture to further cement our anthropomorphizing of animals by mapping the labels we have assigned to arbitrary taxonomies of behavior onto animal behaviors. So for some reason, we want animals to have the same things that we do. And that is what we're saying is professional and lay people are trying to make the interpretation of human behavior officially the same interpretation of animal behavior, Like they're finding things like diagnoses. Officially, yeah, officially, they are trying to superimpose the experience of humans onto animals, and it doesn't quite work like.
Speaker 1: That, as we'll see, And I want to clarify my point in saying that, Like, how the point I'm trying to make, I think with saying this thing about like the pragmatism involved in using a label of their divergence, the issue I have is saying that, Like, I don't think there's such thing as normal, And I think that when we treat something as neurodivergent, we're saying it is pathological and inherently flawed. And I don't think that that's always the case. I'm really trying to make the case that just humans are different, some of us need some more supports sometimes in certain areas than others, and if the label helps you get those supports, then okay, I guess that's helpful. But like I guess what I'm trying to say is, like I feel like we end up pathologizing people who are just show up in the world a little bit differently. But what does differently even mean? Because it's not like there is a norm from which they really can divert There isn't normal, Like, you can't be different if there's nothing to be different from, right, So that's the only point I'm trying to make there. So the question becomes, can our pets or non human animals in general have autism or other diagnoses? Some race think so by taking some of the characteristic features of again starting with autism, that diagnosis such as social interaction quote unquote, deficits language delays, maybe a fear of new things they call neophobia, or even what might be species specific things such as eye blinking. Apparently, they have attempted to identify behavior patterns and animals that could be labeled as autistic because of the correlates that they see when humans. And also what they have attempted to do is isolate genetic markers associated with autism and other diagnoses and look for those similar genetic markers in these non human animals.
Speaker 2: So while we kind of ponder that for a second, here's an ad from pet Smart.
Speaker 1: All right, we're back. We've been talking about essentially the move, I guess, the advocacy, the attempt that people are making to superimpose human experiences onto non human animals and classify their behavior patterns in ways that map on with taxonomies we have of pathologies that we've identified what we call pathologies for humans.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So a twenty seventeen study found that the mutations on the shank three gene associated with autism have also been seen in some dogs, specifically beagles with this mutation seem to have lower desire to interact with people. I mean, I have a low desire to interact with people, but like you know, I'm not a beagle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll get to that too. There was also a study out of Japan that reported that non human primates can exhibit autistic like traits, such as going back to this one social interaction deficits quote unquote deficits. And it's worth noting that for all of the research that has started to merge, what's important is that there is no actual way, there's no formal, scientific, validated way to diagnose non human animals as autistic. So the current number of verified autistic non human animals is zero in the whole world.
Speaker 3: Yep. That's actually I think really valid to know. Now.
Speaker 2: Of course, there's skepticism about this, consider that there's natural variability in how all creatures show up in the world, and actually it would be flabbergasting if all animals of a species behave the same way like that. Just doesn't make any sense from a learning standpoint, from behavior a variability standpoint, just doesn't make any sense. And this would kind of defeat the ability of evolution to apply selective pressure to adapt to different environments. So, are differing levels of social preferences pathological or part of a natural species variability? Are these behavior patterns learned as all behavior patterns are? Yes, Feral animals are usually scared of humans? Is it because they are autistic? That's a pretty flimsy argument to argue yes, And then we can't really it's nearly impossible to make that argument.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like they might not be very social because they only grew up in a world where they had to fight for themselves constantly. And like, does that mean they're autistic? I would say no, you know, I would also say no. But even if, like, even if you identify these genetic markers, even if you identify that, like, okay, among these other beagles, these beagles seem particularly not social, Why does that have to be autism? Like, if we see a gene mutation that tends to result in fewer than average whatever that might mean social interactions, why can't we just say there's a gene mutation that tends to result in fewer than average whatever that might mean social interactions, And like what is there to be gained by calling it autism specifically? Right? And again, like, once we call it autism, people start assigning the cause of their behavior to autism when we already know that the cause and this particular case is a genetic mutation. So it's like we start treating the label as if that explains things when we actually already know the explanation that is utterly irrelevant to the label.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: The question we have to ask inside of this is how effectively are we ruling out typical species behavior? I mean, we're learning about new species across the world. We're discovering new species all the time, let alone discovering new behaviors and new things with the species that we already know, So how well are we ruling out what could be described as normal behavioral variation? And I think that we're not even attempting to rule these things out and kind of taking some leaps to human diagnoses for non human animals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we'll take the example of like with dogs. I'm like, if every single dog was like super friendly to every single human I'm like, that would be astonishing to me. They're just there's too much variability in how they're going to experience the world and show up in the world and how people are going to treat them for them to be that way. It just it couldn't ever happen. It just couldn't. And so it's like, how are we saying that, like, because it doesn't happen for this one dog, that the reason is autism, Like that's right, probably not the reason. It's almost certainly not the reason. It's definitely not the reason. Okay, So it comes back to the point that we have made time and time again that I like to make on this on this show because I just think asking, like, what is the actual sking point of a diagnosis?
Speaker 3: What is the point?
Speaker 1: Like in humans, it tends to be that a diagnosis provides access to supports, specifically to people who need those supports at best. That tends to be how we use them now medically speaking differently, but we're talking about behavior psychological things, that's how it's used. There are some people who like having that label has them feel more accepting of their behaviors, which could potentially be a good thing. So there could also be that point there, But what does it do for non human animals?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Like, crucially, the diagnosis doesn't even give any direction as to what those supports might be. It doesn't give you any direction as to what to expect from their behavior. If you're going to try and do anything about this, you would do it through an assessment, most effectively, a behavioral assessment. Like the whole point being here, like that diagnosis barely does anything for humans. It does do something a lot of the time, but like not a ton Like so we said, like if you've met one person with autism, you've met one person with autism, right Like, if I were to see on intake paperwork that of a person I'm going to be working with that they have an autism diagnosis, I know exactly nothing about what to expect from their behavior because of the variability that exists in an existing diagnosis. Like that's how much variability there is. Like let alone with an animal who it's like they certainly don't feel any differently about their own behavior when we say that they're autistic. I know that it feels maybe like a stretch, but I guarantee you that it is the case, right, us calling them autistic does not change how they feel about their own behavior, I promise you. And then the other thing is like it doesn't inform trutment or provide access to supports. So what is that's the point?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's a fair question. Right.
Speaker 2: So now, if you have a behavior that causes the behaving organism suffering, a diagnosis does not help you change that behavior. The diagnosis is irrelevant in that situation. So you identify the behaviors and functions and intervene at the level needed. And if you had a dog or cat with some challenging behaviors, a diagnosis doesn't help you change the behavior. It's not intervention. It's arguably not information for a non human animal.
Speaker 1: Except in so far as it might be medical and medical situation sometimes there are like interventions that are needed because sure, part of their behavior is like they have some internal pain, that is like that they tend to maybe be a little more aggressive when they're hurting internally. That could make sense, So like they're medical diagnoses, but again we're talking about psychological behavioral diagnoses, right, And to be fair, I think some people might hear this and argue, like and they're right there, might be some medications that could help in some instances, But a counterpoint I would say is that we already really don't actually know how a lot of psychiatric medications work in humans. Like this might be scared to unders in this, but talk to a pharmacist that they will tell you we don't actually know why this works or how. We know the effect that it has most of the time, but we don't actually know why or how. And at best, what would happen is we give some drug that has some behavior changing effect in a non human animal, but actually have no idea what else we're potentially doing. And like, just because we can sedate them and calm that down, is that all we wanted out of this? Like that's all we needed to do, is just like have them be lethargic. Like I feel like that's not actually getting after what the issue is probably is going on for them. Like if it was medical, that certainly is problematic because now they're not even responding to a medical emergency that they might have. And if it's behavioral, there are better in different ways to go about helping provide supports than just calling it autistic or ADHD or something else.
Speaker 2: Right, right, Right, so ultimately, can our pets have autism? It's possible maybe, but it kind of doesn't really matter, especially at this point, because we just don't have any information on it and it doesn't need anything, right, So I think that the motivation to assign these labels is largely born out of a desire to super impose our experiences onto our non human counterparts. I mean we do this for everything, not just diagnoses. We think our dogs are smiling, We think our dogs are we say happy, and you know, there are beavers to indicate that stuff, but like we don't. But we were assigning that because it's you know, it's one of those things.
Speaker 3: Where we just like to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah it feels better, Yeah, it feels better, and maybe that's like easier to explain, like certain situations.
Speaker 3: I guess, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But for some there is a desire to elevate these animal status in our minds to be closer to humans, which is a kind thing to do, we could say. But for others, I think it is an attempt to try to understand the things that we observe when we don't otherwise understand them, and when we find comfort in applying labels to things as if those labels explain them.
Speaker 3: So it's kind of.
Speaker 2: Like, I don't have better language to describe this, so this is sufficient to describe this thing. So I'm going to use this label to describe this thing because I don't have a better way to describe it.
Speaker 1: To me, it's it's as useful as saying it's a ghost like. It's as objectively true and as useful, like why are they behaving this way? A ghost That's why?
Speaker 3: Ghost like?
Speaker 1: It just doesn't like, what are you gonna do about that? Go find a ghostbuster like? It just doesn't It doesn't do anything. So anyway, that's what I have to say about this. Probably some of you disagree with me, I'm sorry kind of, but feel free to tell us your thoughts. You can email us directly at info WWDWWD podcast dot com or reach us on the social media platforms, and I do look forward to hearing from you. I'm always open to constructive criticism, but if you just want to send hate mail, then I just won't even bother with it. So yeah, don't bother yourself. But otherwise we look forward to hearing from you, And if you'd like to support us. You can join us on Patreon. It really helps us out. I will read your name at the end of our full length episodes or some bonus content early episodes, ad free episodes, that sort of thing. You can also leave us rating and review, like subscribe and to a friend. As I mentioned before, all of this stuff really helps us and gets us into the algorithms of more people. So do that thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Thank you to team of people without whom I could not make this episode. Thank you for recording with me today.
Speaker 3: Shane, Hey, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Anything else that I'm mister you'd like to add before we sayah, goodbyes?
Speaker 3: Uh Nope, I don't think so. I think I'm good at this one.
Speaker 1: All right, go forth, be skeptical. This is Abraham, this is Shane. Why we Do what we Do? Mini is out.
Speaker 3: Bye. You've been listening to Why We Do What We Do.
Speaker 2: You can learn more about this and other episodes by going to WWDWWD podcast dot com. Thanks for listening, and we hope you have an awesome day.