Speaker 1: Ben and Skin Show ninety seven point one The Eagle, the last segment of the week on a Friday. I hope you got big plans this weekend. We would love it if your plans would include you going to Rollertown Beer Works in Salina this weekend. That's the brewery that Ben and I are partners in, and we're both going to be there this weekend on separate days. Now, Ben, you're going tomorrow. You're gonna get there around noontime on Saturday, and Mueller Wagu Beef.
Speaker 2: Is going to be serving up grub. That is going to be fantastic. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I always love Mueller Wago. They're an actual Wagou ranch. They don't have. This is the only place you can get their stuff. It's like they have one food truck if you want to get it directly from them, and so it's always just incredible. They that's a good place to go over We're just looking to have lunch. Just come have some Mueller Wago tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then later in the day.
Speaker 1: It's part of our Burns Celebration fourth Annuel Burns Night celebration at Rollertown Beer Works, and as part of that, we're re releasing The Landlord, which is a seventy shilling.
Speaker 2: Scotch ale and it is awesome. It's one of my favorite at beers.
Speaker 1: Later in the night, we'll have proper baking company there, we'll have music, and then I'm going on Sunday for the NFL Championship game Action. I'll be there around two o'clock. Jazzy Tacos will be there. We have crushable pictures playoff pitchers, so our pilsners and our loggers twelve fifty for a pitcher, so come on out. We have jazzy tacos on Sunday. We'll be watching the games. Just come hang with your boys. Been in skin this weekend at roller Town Beer Works in Salana, Texas. But right now it's time for this kill. This thing's big, that's right, Cynthia. It's kind of a Hollywood Shuffle version of The Big Finish, and Ben, I think the best way to get into this. I started reading this article and I was like, man, this is so great that I kind of just want to read a couple passages and then we.
Speaker 2: Stop and talk about it.
Speaker 1: It's an article from I don't know what it's from headline Kevin Costner hopes Netflix will bail him out of Horizon debt, a hole he has dug for himself.
Speaker 2: Let's jump in, shall we?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Please?
Speaker 1: Kevin Costner is looking to the Horizon now that his Horizon on American Saga Chapter one is racking up impressive viewership numbers on Netflix. The actor, who is seventy, is hoping that the streaming giant will buy him out so he can settle his debts.
Speaker 2: Life and Style reports here's a quote.
Speaker 1: Kevin is good at projecting calm experience in a generally level head, but behind the scenes, the whole Horizon project has been stressful to him financially, physically, and even intellectually. A source familiar with the project told the outlet, all right, so let's start there. The seventy year old who was gonna do Was there six parts to this thing?
Speaker 2: Do you remember? Yeah, at least when they're or is it four movies? I'm not sure. I'm not only three but three three hour movies? It was four to three hour movies?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so it was He met off a lot, yes, and he had I think he shot all of them, but then edited the first two and the first one bombed so poorly. The second one was also at the corn Film Festival, so critics saw it and destroyed the second one, but it never got released. So the first one cost him thirty six million. No no, no, no, no, no, no, I have that wrong. The first one cost him one hundred million. Oh and it made thirty six at the theater. So the first one, which doesn't even include the price of the others, lost sixty four million dollars before it went to the streaming platform. Number two was in the can, but they didn't release it because Number one was such a disaster.
Speaker 2: However, people are watching it on Netflix.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is right my wheelhouse because I typically like anything Kevin Costner is in night time.
Speaker 2: I hear him or see him, and he's not in a movie. I don't like it near as much.
Speaker 1: Saying that, now, he's a good actor, he's a good starting quarterback for a project. You could win a championship with him as your starting quarterback. He's a leading man, there's no question about that. But he seems really pretentious and way into himself when I see him talk and I see.
Speaker 2: Him, No, what dude.
Speaker 1: You can win with him as a quarterback. But he also wants to run the offense. Yeah, and make all the moves actually right, you know. And that's where it gets difficult. And this is where his ego got out of control because he's like, oh, the.
Speaker 2: Movie business is dying.
Speaker 1: Well, let me pull my ten pounder out and put it on the table and let it breathe like a catfish. Everyone look at it. I'm going to make a western that's four movies. It's it's an epic and four three hour movies. And you know what, I'm gonna pay for it all and watch people flock to Oh my god, no one went and saw it.
Speaker 2: And here's why.
Speaker 1: I watched the first one Hu And anytime he was on screen, I'm like, Okay, this is pretty good. Anytime he was off screen, I was like, now when is he back on screen? Like what are they doing? And part of it was they waited so long for him to get on the screen, and they're trying to tell a story that is a movie or four movies long, or whatever it is, and so it's hard to that's all. It takes a long time to set up in a movie. This would have been way better off as a Netflix series because you have the ability to you know, develop these characters and do these things. But man, what was the what's the thing on Netflix with the lawyers? That was everyparn know that everybody watched with the hot shot lawyer, the guy go to law school, lock cats.
Speaker 2: I'm a hot shot lawyer that didn't go to law school. I'm gonna work for your law firm and I'm gonna he Suits. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Suits comes out on Netflix a gazillion years after it's out in real life, and it becomes the number one show in America. And so part of it has to do with fishing where the fish are biting. The fish aren't biting at movie theaters. The fish are biting on Netflix. So put your content in front of Netflix and it has a chance to do even better. And you never know, there's no rhyme or reason as to what catches on, Like why did Suits become the number one show on Earth years after it aired on TV?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I have I have a thought on it.
Speaker 1: I think it depends on the audience and defend depends on the platform. But I'm basing this off of my daughter's viewing habits. You know, my daughter has watched every single mett of Blind Craze anatomy. Oh really, and that's I don't know, what is there decades of that. Yeah, and it's very standard nighttime soap. Turn your brain off with good looking people. And I saw at least four and a half minutes of suits, and it seems like turn your brain off good looking people like the same thing, right, Like you're not really going to do a lot of engagement with suits.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe it changes over time. Maybe.
Speaker 1: I mean I saw a very short amount of it, but it reminded me of that formula that I've seen many times. It Gray's Anatomy totally works. Grey's Anatomy was a phenomenon. And then oh my god, there's a guy named Macdreamy. And you know, it's just it was a thing that people like to turn their or The Bachelor the same kind of thing, right, And I think that those things do great for people that just want to plow through stuff.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, it's like Yellowstone, Yellowstone wildly popular. It's not deep material. It's just entertainment for your brain. It's just like, Okay, this is a crazy character.
Speaker 2: That's fun.
Speaker 1: It's all so it's all the same crap, but it's all in just different situations.
Speaker 2: It's all the same crap.
Speaker 1: What you've told me and what I've read about Horizon is it's not that.
Speaker 2: What do you mean? It's not turn your brain off.
Speaker 1: Just it's like, we're going to tell the story of manifest destiny, and man, it's a.
Speaker 2: Really important story and I'm the one to tell it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretentious. It's a history book. It's too it is a bit of a history book. It's just that you could have done. You could have just instead of trying to do to make four movies at once, if you just want to focus on making the first one a good movie, it would have been a different franchise. In other words, like we're gonna put our worst hitter in the baseball batting order at first, second, and third, and then we're gonna start with our leadoff hitter and the clean offs.
Speaker 2: And it's like cause we're going for the long all Like, no, you're not going to get out of the first inning.
Speaker 1: And this is what It goes back to what you said, and I have a quote here to support it. Kevin Costner's ego got way too big and he thought he was more special than he was.
Speaker 3: He tried to do a dune thing, right, yes, Dune. He didn't really not a lot was happening in that first one, but it's Dune.
Speaker 1: He was like, Look, I know everybody loves me, but this will be the important work that I'm remembered for. Look, I'm important, but this will be the important work that my importance.
Speaker 2: Is associated with.
Speaker 1: Here's Here's here's an insider Costner quote still doesn't fully understand why the theatrical release of the first part of the story did connect with most viewers, but he's pressing forward with the rest of the films, and he's finally got some good news in the form of Chapter one's excellent showing on Netflix, where it's landed in the top ten. Man, it's like this too, everyone. Look, everyone wants something that's free. Times are tough out there.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: If you're talking about I have to go to the theater, I gotta park. I'm gonna have to pay for those tickets. I'm gonna have to buy everything from the concession stand. That's pretty expensive. That's a lot of effort for me to get out of my house and go do that. Yeah, it's got to be really special. But if I'm at home on my couch.
Speaker 2: I'll give it a shot. There's nothing else on. I'm dying to find something to watch. I'll give this a try.
Speaker 1: And so here's the conundrum that Costner's in. Okay, Netflix is the only one with the pockets deep enough to quote unquote bail him out, and so that's on them to do, right. So's they keep going. They keep talking about the hole that he dug for himself. And then this says the Oscar winner reportedly up for major financial strain as a result of his poorly received Passion project and is now looking to Netflix to bail him out. The streamer is quote the only company that can provide Kevin the resources to finish this saga in the next eighteen months without having to cut too many corners.
Speaker 3: Okay? Is this why they had to up the price because of Costner to help him off his debt?
Speaker 2: Telling, are you suggesting a Costner tax?
Speaker 3: We am at Costner?
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Here's where I love this so much. Now keep in mind, I want to frame this. I'm definitely editorializing here. He went through an expensive divorce, yes, okay. And here's the other thing. He's got a lot of kids, and those kids want daddy's money. And so not only did mommy and daddy get a divorce in their pissed daddy is spending all of their future money on a Western epic and he's seventy, so they're pissed about that.
Speaker 2: Listen to this quote.
Speaker 1: Kevin is in an an eight figure hole on this project, and he's finally got some hope that Netflix will bail him out and expose the films.
Speaker 2: To viewers all over the world.
Speaker 1: But Horizon has to continue to perform on streaming for that to happen. The first movie, which premiered in May twenty twenty four before hitting theaters in June, grows thirty six one hundred million dollars one hundred million dollar budget. Costner reportedly spent thirty eight million of his own money on the film, so of the one hundred million dollar budget, he put up thirty eight percent of it. And he just went through a divorce and now he's dating Jewel and his kids hate him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I might have added that last point. Yeah, I assumed, you know.
Speaker 1: Again in Yellowstone and the deal he had with Taylor Sheridan is at the guy's name of Dayls. Taylor Sheridan's like, yeah, we'll get around to a film. I've got all these other projects. You just stand there and wait, I'll tell you when we're gonna film yellow Stone again. Casts like, wait, what, you want me to just sit out for a year. Well, no, I'm gonna start doing my stuff. I'll tell you when i'm ready. Oh I'm out on yellows. Oh you're gonna do without me? And they're like, yep, see you later. While he was saying all that, Billy, Bob Thornton and John Hamm walked around him and said, where are you going, Taylor and cars?
Speaker 2: Well? Hold on, where'd these guys come from?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Hold on? My kids hate me? Right I dude? Yeah, it's uh.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna watch the entire thing this weekend. Yeah, tire what, I don't know?
Speaker 2: A weekend? All right, that's gonna do it for us.
Speaker 1: We'll be back on Monday, and our friend Kevin Turner will be back in the fold. But I'll never forget the time he sat down to play video games with a stripper in Las Vegas. He looked her dead in her chest and he said, well, I just think in these times, I think it's really important that we all consider everything when it comes to the world we're living in. That'll put her through college. Christina's up next, playing music right here on the Eagle.
Speaker 2: There you going, well, I'm gonna get my sack back. Dude, You all right,