Speaker 1: Just grab our bibles. Thanks, bro.
Speaker 2: Just grab our bibles and turn to Second Corinthians. Second Corinthians. We're gonna be in chapter four Versus sixteen and following this morning, Second Corinthians four. And if you don't have a Bible with you, just raise your hand. We're passing those out right now. So just raise your hand and keep it up. If you need a bible or a bulletin or a pen or anything like that, and if you keep your hand up, we'll find you eventually and get you what you need. This is also a good time for me to remind you to please fill out a connection card. We ask that everybody would do that every week, whether you're a member or a guest or what have you. That you're here by name is a really important pastoral thing for us to know as a church.
Speaker 1: You can leave a prayer request.
Speaker 3: We have a whole team of men and women who are.
Speaker 2: Praying for those prayer requests. And if you are new, just leave some contact information. We'll follow up with you. Also, if you're new and you just have questions or anything like that, there's a spot for that. There's a table right on the lobby called Step one, and we would just invite anybody who's new at all to just go to that table and connect with us there. We want to welcome you into the life of this church and help you understand how to take those steps.
Speaker 3: You might be like, you know, I'm not a Christian.
Speaker 2: I'm here this morning, and I'm not sure what all of the things that you sang about or talked about meant. I don't know what it means to place my faith in Jesus and follow him. Well, we want to have that conversation. In fact, tonight over at my house dinner six to eight if you want to have the conversation. But what does it mean to place my faith in Christ and follow him? We're doing that over at my house. So just meet me at the Step one table. I'll give you my address, come over for dinner, and we'll we'll have that conversation. We do that every week almost and it's always a really good time. And the food is always good because my wife cooks it.
Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: Hi, honey, she's home right now because I got a little one that's six, so she told me she'd tune in.
Speaker 1: It's always good.
Speaker 2: Second Corinthians chapter four. I'm going to read I think verse seven all the way through verse ten of chapter five for the larger context of our verses this morning. But my preaching text is going to be just those four verses sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, and then maybe the first verse of chapter five there, and that's kind of where we'll focus this morning in this text. But if you would just read along as I read aloud from Second Corinthians four, starting in seven, Paul writes this, but we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed, perplexed but not driven to despair, persecuted but not forsake, and struck down but not destroyed, always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies. For we who live are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our mortal flesh. So death is at work in us, but life in you. And since we have the same spirit of faith, according to what was written, I believed and so I spoke, we also believe, And so we also speak, knowing that he who raised the Lord Jesus will raise us also with Jesus, and bring us with you into his presence. For it is all for your sake, so that as grace extends to more and more people, it may increase thanksgiving to the glory of God.
Speaker 1: And here's our preaching text. So we do not lose heart.
Speaker 2: Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light, momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison. As we look not to the things that are seen, but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen or transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. For we know that if the tent that is our earthly home is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
Speaker 3: And I'll continue on for a few more verses yet, for.
Speaker 2: In this tent we grown longing to put on our heavenly dwelling, if indeed, by putting it on, we may be not found naked. For while we're still in this tent, we grown being burdened, not that we would be unclothed, but that we would be further clothed, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. He who has prepared us for this very thing, as God, who has given us the spirit as a guarantee.
Speaker 1: So we are always of good courage.
Speaker 2: We know that while we are at home in the body, we're away from the Lord, for we walk by faith, not by sight. Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord. So whether we're at home or away, we make it our aim to please Him. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil. This is the word of the Lord. I I almost put our family's tent out of its misery this past week. I was cleaning the garage. I am very proud of the work that I did in the garage.
Speaker 3: I even installed some lighting.
Speaker 2: And then when I did, I saw what a mess we had, and I started cleaning up.
Speaker 3: I mean this. I set some spring break.
Speaker 2: Time aside for this and I had clean it up and get it out fever, you know, and the tent. I thought.
Speaker 1: This is enough.
Speaker 2: But this thing, I mean, I bought this thing when Karen I first got married.
Speaker 1: I don't know why. I thought we were gonna be a camping family. Did not happen.
Speaker 2: I could count on my fingers the number of times this thing has gotten set up. Last time was in the backyard. Turns out my nine year old also not a camper. And I thought we would throw it out, but Kara's like, nah, keep it, you know, and will never use it again. Why should we throw it away? You know how that is? And the thing about this tent is it is sad.
Speaker 1: It is sad.
Speaker 2: One of the poles is just duct taped together so it doesn't slide through the sleeve like it's supposed to. It smells funny. I'm sure the rainfly is gone. I found a rain fly, but I don't think it goes with that tent. The seams of the tent are all leaky now, so when there's dew, it just like it just drips in the thing. It is falling apart. It is wasting away. It is a torn up tent. And I only bring that up because this is the metaphor that Paul uses in verse one of chapter five.
Speaker 1: For our bodies.
Speaker 3: Wearing out.
Speaker 1: Until eventually.
Speaker 3: Thrown out.
Speaker 2: Happens to us all, every single one of us, no no matter how fine your tent might be, falls apart, including turns out.
Speaker 1: This week.
Speaker 2: We lost Chuck Norris. I mean, I'm serious, like he passed away this week. It's a it's a meeting death has been dreading for a long time. I did not pick this tent, this preaching text because Chuck Norris died.
Speaker 3: But it's just sit there.
Speaker 2: So for twenty one verses, Paul just circles this idea of death, of death, of suffering and wearing out until death.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing.
Speaker 2: Across these twenty one verses, Paul also continues to repeat this, So we are of good courage, so we do not lose heart. We live courageous about death. That's what he says.
Speaker 1: Do you do you live courageously about death?
Speaker 3: Most of us don't.
Speaker 2: Live courageously about death so much as we live like an ostrich about death. Right, and stick my head in the sand. If I can't see it, it can't see me. And don't think about it. And if you're here this morning as a non Christian thrilled the you're here, I do wonder how much you consider what the Bible calls the way of all flesh.
Speaker 3: That we are all on our way.
Speaker 1: To death.
Speaker 2: And if you are here as a Christian, I wonder how skilled, how skilled are you in living courageously about death? Because Paul gives us in this passage these four verses here three ways that they overlap quite a bit, but there's some slight shifts in emphasis about these ways to live courageously regarding death, and we'll jump into it. So what ways are Christians courageous about death? Here's the first way. First, we're courageous. We are called to courage even as you watch the wasting. That would be our first way. You can jot that in your notes if you like. Even as we watch the wasting, be courageous, he says in verse sixteen, right, so we do not lose heart, right, And that so points back.
Speaker 3: To verse fourteen, right.
Speaker 2: He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also raise us. Yet that also points forward to this. We're courageous even though our outer self is wasting away and our inner self is being renewed day by day. One's going down, one's going up.
Speaker 3: And what strikes me.
Speaker 2: Is just how matter of fact it stated. Our outer self is wasting away. It is wasting away. Maybe maybe you're young here this morning and you're like, I don't know, it doesn't seem like I'm wasting away. It speeds up. It is. It is a fact. I was at the doctor.
Speaker 1: A couple of weeks ago and the fact was just on display.
Speaker 2: I was there in the waiting room kind of first thing in the morning. The waiting room was packed, and I was just looking around, just observing all of the patients in this waiting room, and at about two thirds of us, our skin was pink.
Speaker 1: And some energy, some weight, maybe too much weight to us.
Speaker 3: Call that group A.
Speaker 2: But another third of the folks that were in the waiting room Group B.
Speaker 3: Their skin was.
Speaker 2: Seemed brittle, yellowed, not as much weight, not as much energy. I mean, some of us were there for preventative reasons. And then group B they were there looking for a cure for something. And at first I thought, man, how do I stay in group A? And then I realized, you don't. Nobody stays in group A. Everyone graduates to Group B. Everyone, unless you're taken suddenly in an accident in some way or another, every single one of us, at some point in this life will graduate from Group A to Group B. It's inevitable. The outer self is wasting away. And if you're if you're not trusting in crime who has promised eternal life to those who would place their life in his hands, I wonder if you are considering carefully the inevitability of what the Bible says here is the wasting away of the outer self.
Speaker 3: It is coming.
Speaker 1: And then you.
Speaker 2: Appear before him, it says later in chapter five, and then appear before him this one that maybe you've been resisting, Maybe you've been resisting his work.
Speaker 1: Maybe he you've been resisting.
Speaker 2: His call and his promise and his what he has offered to you is as this outer self wastes away, what I have for you is eternal, it's renewal, it's life in me, it's forgiveness. It is granted to you, not on your merit, but on mine. And if you're a Christian this morning, I also wonder whether or not you are grasping the inevitability of this outer wasting away. It's coming, it accelerates, and then you will appear before him, this Christ who has been renewing you day by day. You are sooner than you think you are going to appear before him, and you will appear before him.
Speaker 4: As one who has been renewed by Him in the ongoing repentance that we so often resist, and the ongoing sacrifice that he continues to call you forward in, and the ongoing obedience that he calls you in, in those steps of grace and recommitment that we that we struggle, but yet he calls us forward growth, step by growth, step, renewing us day by day in some ways that we quit our teeth about.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: One day we will stand before him and his work will be on display, and that unwrapping will.
Speaker 1: Happen sooner than you think that.
Speaker 2: That is how we live courageously about death, even as we watch the wasting, because we know that we are being renewed internally by Jesus, and He even now is welcoming us.
Speaker 3: Home on a law long journey, not as long for all of.
Speaker 2: Us, into his presence. Even as we watch the wasting, we realize the renewing and the welcome of Christ. That's how we live courageous about death.
Speaker 3: There's another way.
Speaker 1: That Paul gives us.
Speaker 2: It's very similar, but that the emphasis shifts slightly. It's not just as we watch the wasting. Even though we watch the wasting, there's also this we're courageous about death as we lean into the comparing and the preparing. That's the second way you could jot that down. If you're taking notes, as we lean in to the comparing and the preparing, see what's wasting away and what's being renewed, they are not of similar value. What we're losing hardly compares to what we're winning. This is what he says in verse seventeen. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory, beyond all comparison, beyond all comparison. He says, it's beyond all comparison. But of course what he's doing is comparing, right, He's comparing the incomparable.
Speaker 3: Light momentary weighty eternal, and he's.
Speaker 2: Comparing these two, and he calls us that's what he's doing.
Speaker 1: He's calling us.
Speaker 2: To compare, to lean in to the comparing between this affliction now.
Speaker 3: And that glory. Then how does it compare.
Speaker 1: How does it compare?
Speaker 3: Well, I think about my tent. My tent.
Speaker 2: It's like ten pounds, which I know some of you are like backpackers. You're like ten pounds. That's really heavy. I've never carried this thing. It belongs in the car. It's a car camping tent. It's the taj Mahal. It's amazing. You can put all my kids in it, which has never happened. But it's ten pounds. I mean I could. I could lift it up and put it up on the very top shelf of the storage you know, shelves in my garage, which is exactly what I did, never to be seen again, and not hard to put up there. Ten pounds. I did the math, thanks cha, GPT. I did the math for how much my house weighs. We're thinking six hundred thousand pounds brick house, concrete slab. Six hundred thousand pounds is how much my house weighs. And I'm thinking this is a pretty good analogy between light and weighty. This is the analogy actually that Paul is using the difference between a tabernacle and a temple. That's the difference between a tent and a house. That's the difference between the lightness of the affliction that we are going through. And we are going through it, no doubt about it. We feel it, and he says, but what I want you to realize is the comparison between the affliction and the glory is that between a tent and a house. It's weight. It's beyond comparison. It's beyond comparison, and it's eternal. If you want to compare timelines, just think of your life.
Speaker 1: Think of your life as like.
Speaker 2: Five or six sheets of paper. Right, consider them chapters. Let me go chapter one. We'll take these chapters in fifteen year increments. Right, we got five or six sheets of paper sitting on the desk. Chapter one, ages zero through fifteen, childhood, ages fifteen through thirty, okay, youth, Chapter three, ages thirty through forty five, adulthood. We're halfway done, Ages forty five through sixty. Call that maturity. That's chapter four. Chapter five, age sixty through seventy five. Call that finishing. Maybe you have chapter six, seventy five and forward.
Speaker 3: Call that bonus. Five or six sheets.
Speaker 1: That's it, just.
Speaker 2: Hardly perceptible on the table, and eternity.
Speaker 1: Is pages to the sky pages to the sky.
Speaker 2: It's incomparable the lightness of our affliction and the momentary nature of our affliction compared to the weightiness and the eternity of our glory. The way of courage while your tent is falling apart is recognizing that you're moving into a house.
Speaker 3: The way of.
Speaker 2: Courage while your tent is falling apart is recognizing you're moving into a house. Lean in to the comparing, and he says, and the preparing, he says, this black, momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory. And part of this preparing is just knowing the renewal of Christ. Christ is at work in all of our afflictions in every way, and it is preparing for us.
Speaker 3: He is preparing for.
Speaker 1: Us an eternal weight of glory.
Speaker 2: But also a big part of this is that he knows how he's investing his afflictions.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: He is persecuted but not forsaken, struck down but not destroyed. He knows how he's investing his afflictions. He's not just letting them run, He's not just limping along. He's taking all of his affliction as the throwing them into the work that Christ has given us. Church, Let's invest our afflictions. Let's lean into our preparation. There's something to be done with our afflictions that actually helps us to live with courage about death. We're investing them. Lean into the preparing, lean into the comparing. That's how you are courageous about death. You lean into those things even as you watch the wasting. You lean into the comparing and the preparing, and you live courageously about death. That's what God has given to us. Here's the third way. Here's the third way.
Speaker 1: You're courageous.
Speaker 2: As you point your sight, as you point your sight, as you direct your gaze, as you consider your vision. This is how puts it exactly in verse eighteen. As we look not to the things that are seen, but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen or transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. So he says, we look, there's something that we don't look to right, not this, but that, And there's a reason transient versus eternal.
Speaker 3: In other words, we're.
Speaker 2: Not focused on the tent poles that are snapping, and the cords that are fraying, and the pegs that are going missing. We're focused on our solid home. We're focused on being with the people in our home, like it says in verse two of chapter five, like we've grown to be home. That's how I camp, groaning to be home, not focus on the fact that this thing is leaking, but actually directing my gaze, pointing my vision.
Speaker 1: Home.
Speaker 2: I think that's actually the value of camping for a person like me.
Speaker 1: Is a greater appreciation for my home and the people in it.
Speaker 2: That's what I told a friend of mine.
Speaker 1: This past week.
Speaker 2: Pastor friend of mine was visiting from Mexico City. We were driving down the road, had a little time, a little windshield time to kill, and we're just kind of catching up with each other and.
Speaker 1: My friend from Mexico City.
Speaker 2: I'm sure there was some cultural things that neither he nor I appreciated, because he just came right out and said it. He's like forty, right, and so he looks over at me, He's like, so, fifty two, what's that like? And I said, what it's like is that some part of this tent is always breaking. Now this scene is becoming more obviously transient. I should have also said that now at fifty two I'm more convinced than ever that Christ is not going to give up on me. I've just we've been together for a while, and he has held me every step of the way, and He has continued to renew me day by day, calling me forward in repentance and obedience and re commitment and growth and affection.
Speaker 1: And he does it.
Speaker 2: Man, he doesn't give up on me. But also some part of this tent is always breaking. And Paul says to that we don't look at those things. We might maybe make glance at those things, but we gaze at the eternal right, we look not to the scene. And what does it mean to look not to the scene? Because I think this has been used out of context at some points, like to look not to the scene does not mean don't enjoy anything in this world because you can see it.
Speaker 1: Don't look at it.
Speaker 2: That's not what Paul is saying. We enjoy these blessings with real gratitude.
Speaker 3: We enjoy these.
Speaker 2: Blessings with real generosity and with worship, even if we don't don't fix our affection on the things of this world. It's actually the point is worship the blessings that God has given us. Just become the context in which to actually enjoy our relationship with him.
Speaker 1: That's what it's for.
Speaker 2: Just like playing a game with your kids is just a context in which to enjoy your relationship with them. It's not about the game, right, You're not dunking on your six year old daughter and talking trash and then you go inside and she's.
Speaker 3: Crying, and your wife's like, I.
Speaker 2: Think you miss the point of basketball with your six year old girl. It's not the point. The game is not the point. The relationship is the point. The same thing is true of the earthly blessings that God has given us. They're not the point. They're the context in which we enjoy our relationship with him.
Speaker 1: Enjoying the food, food, or the lake.
Speaker 2: Or the stars, it's just the setting for enjoying the creator of the food and the lake and the stars. So when we look not to the scene, we look not to the scene, it's not that we don't enjoy anything. When Paul says we look not to the scene, what's on his mind here is actually not blessings. It's suffering and sacrifice and death. What's on his mind is a torn up tent. And he says these things don't have our gaze. They don't have our vision. They don't have our fixed sight. What has our fixed sight is a solid home and the Lord in it. This is an intentional, willful step, he says.
Speaker 3: We look not to this.
Speaker 2: We point our vision this way because the scene draws our attention so easily, especially when it hurts. It draws our attention. He says, we look not to the scene, We look to the unseen. The way of courage while your tent is falling apart, is recognizing you're moving in that house.
Speaker 1: That's the way of courage.
Speaker 2: This is what gives us courage and heart because we see. We see without seeing, we see reward. We see without seeing, we are going to live with sinlessness. We see that Christ is welcoming, welcoming us into this home with without our merit, with his merit, that his arms are open wide, not because of what we have done, but because of what he has done.
Speaker 1: And then he rewards.
Speaker 3: Us based on what we've done in him.
Speaker 1: That's how we live courageously.
Speaker 2: We might glance at what's being torn up, but we gaze at what's eternal. We might glance at declining health. We might glance at declining wealth because of even gospel choices that we're making. But we gaze at Christ home, home with him.