Speaker 1: All right, let's get a drivetime Wednesday afternoon, ten minutes past the hour of two o'clock. Beautiful day outside beautiful beautiful May Wednesday afternoon. It's about seventy degrees and crystal clear here in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah, right outside of our Broadway Media studios. And as it is every single day, it's good to have you along for the rides fence check. It's behind the Mike Porter Larson beyond the glass today producing the program, booking the program as well. We got a lot to do. We have a jam packed Wednesday show. Good guest list on the program today to tackle a bunch of different topics, a lot of random college football news in the new cycle today, there's a lot of pushback on the new proposed expanded sixteen team CFP, which would give four auto bids to the Big ten of the SEC, two auto bids to the Big twelve, and the acc one auto bid to now group of six programs shout out the newly rebranded PAC twelve and then a couple of different at large bids.
Speaker 2: But of course it would benefit.
Speaker 1: You know, the Big ten in the SEC, which college football typically benefits anyway, and the latest on the House for NC Double A because there are pushback.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of pushback about that.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of pushback state by state passing legislation that would actually counter what the House for NC Double A would present. It is a messy situation that continues to get mess here. We do have some breaking news right off the top of the show today. Your MVP in the world of Pro basketball is none other than Jannis just kidding, shake Gilgus. Alexander Sga wins the MBA MVP. A lot of people thought it might go once again to Nacola Jokic. And if it would have gone to Jokic, no problem, another historic season for the greatest player of this generation, Nicola Jokic. But Sga wins the MVP in the world of pro basketball. Of course, Oklahoma City sixty wins in the regular season. I think they're gonna win the NBA Championship. We're gonna talk about what we saw last night. We are gonna talk about what we hope to see tonight or what we anticipate teaing tonight is probably a better way of putting that. As the New York Knicks welcome in the Indiana Pacers to the world's most famous arena, one of the most audacious claims in the world of pro sports, the mecca of basketball, Madison Square Garden is where we find tonight's game. So we'll preview tonight's game on the show today. We'll look back on what we saw last night. One I, of course, continues to be on the NBA Draft, which will come our way June of the twenty fifth. We're gonna have great draft coverage for you guys. It'll be myself, Gordy Chiesa, Richard Smith, and we'll take you through the entire first round. Round two follows Round one the next day. It's kind of a new thing they've only been doing for a few years. So the second round of the NBA Draft, where the Jazz find themselves with a couple of different picks, will actually take place during our afternoon drive show called The Drive We spent check Its, which is what you're listening to right now. Thank you for doing that, by the way, and that is my name, I host the show. With a lot to do on the program today, some unfortunate news that we'll get to you right off the top.
Speaker 2: According to the Salt Lake Tribune.
Speaker 1: BYU quarterback Jake Rhetz Laugh has been accused of sexual assault in a new civil lawsuit. A Salt Lake County woman claims she was assaulted in twenty twenty three, so a couple of years ago now, which her lawsuit says she reported to the police. So we'll get into this on the show. We do have a BYU guest today. We have a couple of college football guests today. Actually, we'll do a lot of college football on the show today. Grown men arguing about pushing other men's in the tush NFL football, It's fantastic. We talked about it yesterday. What a dumb, dumb topic. This just shows the thirst for football in our country that we're so obsessed about a quarterback sneak that will remain. By the way, they needed to twenty four votes to ban the tush push. Sometimes football is so weird, dude, I'm sorry, it just is. But the tush push remains. Big grown men being able to shove other grown men in the tush is still part of NFL football.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 1: Josh for Along will be our first guest. Right out of the gates. He covers the University of Utah for our friends at KSSEL. You're gonna bring in Christopher Cameronnie who is live in midtown Manhattan.
Speaker 2: Not for the Nick game, but for some athletic meetings.
Speaker 1: We'll bring in Ck today, Spencer Lytton, our friend from BYU TV. I will ask Spencer Lytton about the solid A Tribune report. He is a Brigham Young employee. So my guess is we will pivot quickly from that, and then we'll do some college football and some hoops with Spencer Lytton today, and then Dave mcminnimon stops by to recap okc's title wave in the second half last night dispatching of the Minnesota Timberwolves, and we'll talk Nick Celtics, we'll talk NBA Draft, and we'll talk about the breaking news that just came down too long ago. Shake yelgis Alexander is your MVP. No surprise there. In my opinion, I do not have a vote. If I did, I would have voted for SGA. All due respect to Nicola Jokich. So there you go, Josh Furlong, Chris Camaraddie, Spencer Linton, Dave McManamon, me, Spence check. Its all of you the great listeners on this beautiful Wednesday afternoon, and that guy Porter Larsen who is just beyond excited that pro football continues to feature grown men pushing other grown men in the tush.
Speaker 3: Yes, I thought you were actually going to say that I was excited for Eastern Conference Finals Game one, and I was going to correct you that I'm more excited about what I thought was going to be an overturned rule in the NFL. Today, Spence was a win for football and an l for like the pretty large faction of what I think sports fans, sports media, sports business aligned to people who are moving in the direction of just wanting to a product for TV and just wanting to create something that you know is as seamless and well packaged as possible. I just want football, man, Stop changing football, Stop changing basketball, stop changing baseball. I'll sit on my porch all day long, Spence. As long as it's like money and gambling and TV that are changing instead of like some pure reasons for changing rules and whatnot.
Speaker 2: I'm out.
Speaker 4: I'm out.
Speaker 2: I'm out.
Speaker 1: Sorry, fair enough, seth Wickers. You know what we'll get to opening tip. We have a couple of things to get to with opening tips. Seth Wickerstram has some details from this. He did exchange that took place today during what's called a general session of NFL owners and team in League executive Jeffrey Laurier apparently gave an hour long speech and use some nomenclature that I don't know. Maybe you just kind of steer away from when you know that it's going to be public. So we'll get to it. Our first guest will be Josh Furlong right out of the gates. But before we get to Josh, courtesy of our good friends and you're good friends too, it Picks.
Speaker 2: It is time now for your opening tip.
Speaker 5: Welcome to the Drive with Spence. Check its on Utah's number one sports talk Now into the studios of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the Drive is brought to you by Prize Picks. Use the code ESPN seven hundred and run your game with Prize Picks.
Speaker 1: Cash in on the basketball playoffs with Prize Picks. Don't miss your last chance to add your favorite players from the court to your Prize Picks lineup. Whether it's points, rebounds, or assists, take your pick the more or less for a shot to win up to two thousand times for cash. Today, you can turn your playoff Hove takes into tickets to Basketball's Championship Series.
Speaker 2: Starting with a playing round. Every lineup you.
Speaker 1: Make on Prize Picks will ter you into the Take two ticket sweepstakes, which could get you and a plus one a VIP trip to the ship.
Speaker 2: So here's what you do.
Speaker 1: You download the Prize picks at today, use that promo code ESPN seven hundred to check out. They're gonna cut you up with fifty dollars when you play that first five dollars bet.
Speaker 2: Do not even have to win the fifty bucks It is on the house.
Speaker 1: Excuse me, you don't even have to win the five dollars bed The fifty dollars is on the house. So you download the prize picks out today, use the promo code ESPN seven hundred to check out, and they're gonna give you fifty bucks prize picks to run your game all season long.
Speaker 2: All right, a couple of easy ones.
Speaker 1: I feel like Tyrese Halliburn eighteen point five points is easy money.
Speaker 2: I'm going over on that.
Speaker 1: I'm also going over on Jalen Brunson tonight twenty eight point five points. I'm gonna go under on Karl Anthony Towns twenty two point five points, and I'll go over on my guy, Douce McBride one point five three point shots made. So there you go. We've got a little Nick Pacers tonight. All right, real quick, The tush push debate is so dumb. This entire thing is beyond stupid. It is dominated headlines. You people love football so much that you know ESPN and Fox and everybody else can throw out links and you guys click on it to understand the debate that's occurred over what is a quarterback sneak? So, according to Seth Wickerstrand, tempers flared today as the Eagles defended the tush push in a general session of NFL owners and league executives. Jeffrey Lowry made what's called an impassioned speech in defense of the play. Towards the end of the speech, according to Seth Wickerstram, that lasted close to an hour, Lowry made an off the cuff analogy. He told the room that regardless of whether the play was banned, it was quote a win win for the Eagles, adding that it was like a wet dream for a teenage boy to create a play that was so successful that the only way for it to be stopped was it to be banned. What exactly are we doing with these analogies? I mean, this is beyond strange. Bottom line is this?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Jed Yorke apparently wanted. Jeffrey Laurie said, how much more bleep do we need to hear from you? Jerry Jones gave an impassioned speech. Terry Pagula, the owner of the Bills, a critic of the tush push. Also, we'll push back on the entire thing. Bottom line is the tush push remains. Grown men will be able to push other grown men in the tush in the NFL this year, So we can put that to bed. Thank goodness, all right, Moving over to what really is just an unfortunate situation. This broke about forty five minutes ago, according to the Salt Lake Tribune BYU quarterback Jake Rhetz. Laugh is accused of sexual assault in a new civil lawsuit, and a Salt Lake County woman says she was assaulted in twenty twenty three, which your lawsuit says she reported to the police. So this is according to the Salt Lake Tribune. If you're looking for the entire kind of depth and breadth of the situation, go to sl triu dot com.
Speaker 2: So we'll just go.
Speaker 1: Over some of the some of the pieces that the trip has in their piece that they have up today, and then we just kind of have to wait and see what BYU decides to do. Jake deserves due process like everybody else in our country. It's one of the great things about living in America. Most people, all people should good, most people do get due process.
Speaker 2: We'll kind of leave that aside today.
Speaker 1: But assault Lake County woman has accused Jake rhet's Laugh of sexually assaulting her at his home, according to a civil lawsuit filed today, and it said that she also reported the incident to the police when it happened. So let's be clear, Jake has not been charged with anything criminally.
Speaker 2: This is a civil lawsuit.
Speaker 1: The woman, identified in a third District court filing as Jane doe Ag, alleges in the lawsuit the ret's Laugh assaulted her in November of twenty twenty three, so not last year. Year before last, after they had connected on social media and beg and began messaging about a month earlier. She issuing Rahet's Laugh in civil court for alleged battery, assault, an intentional infliction of emotional distress, and is asking for punitive damages from him. Jake has not been criminally charged as of today. As I referenced, this young lady said in her lawsuit that she was connected with police after she had a rape kit exammed on at a hospital after the alleged assault, but initially withheld Rehet's Laugh name. The woman did eventually tell Provo police that it was Jake, the lawsuit states, after an officer asked her who he was because quote someone else filed a similar complaint against a football player and the police wanted to see if it was the same person. The lawsuit says, the officer that encouraged her not to do anything, saying quote sexual assault victims never get justice. Jake and his family of declined comment when contacted by the Salt Lake Tribune BYU, and the Provo Police did not respond to multiple requests for comment today. According to the lawsuit, this young lady and a friend had gone to Jake's home on November twenty second, twenty twenty three to hang out, and the women stayed at the home. After her friend left, she said she started to watch a movie with Jake in his room. They began kissing, but she asserted in her lawsuit that she did not want to do anything more. Jake continued to quote escalate the situation. The lawsuit alleges when he tried touching her sexually and told her to give him oral sex.
Speaker 2: Sorry if the kids are in the car. Quote.
Speaker 1: As the situation continued escalate, the lawsuit reads, Jane Doe ag reacted in a way that made Reetz laugh. Angry, he started to shout at her. She reached for her phone to call somebody, but her phone was dead. According to this filing, she was scared started to panic, she said in her lawsuit. She just lay down on his bed waiting for her phone to charge so she call her friend. She alleges Jake fell asleep, but soon woke up again and began forcially kissing her and touching her. The woman said she told Jake to stop, and he said no, he was grabbing a condom, but alleges in the lawsuit that he did not stop and that sex with her anyway she says she went to the hospital had a rape kid examination completed. She said she reported a provo police, but the lawsuit said initially did not tell the officer whom she was accusing of the assault. Hearing that detectives would question him and share that she had reported him, she was scared and in shock and not ready to confront him, according to the lawsuit. So Jake transferred from Riverside City College in California to BYU in twenty twenty three, and of course rose to Nash prominence last year. So Jake must have been on campus not very long when this incident took place.
Speaker 2: So we'll see.
Speaker 1: Of course, I'm trying to talk about football when there's something as serious as an alleged sexual assault.
Speaker 2: That's kind of an awkward thing.
Speaker 1: And BYU and the powers that be, the governing bodies at Brigham Young have shown in the past that these are things they take very seriously and certainly over you know, any perceived success on the football or the basketball field. It's always a tricky thing to try to draw an analogy with some of the stuff that comes off as pretty obtuse, and I'm not trying to do that. I will bring up the Brandon Davies situation. Brandon was never sued, he was never charged with a crime. It was an honor code violation. This certainly violates BYU's honor code according to what's been alleged. Now i'll repeat all days as we unpack this, that Jake deserves to process and has not been charged.
Speaker 2: With a crime.
Speaker 1: That team that Brandon was playing on, featuring Jimmerfurdett, had a chance to go to the Final four and maybe beyond, and BYU didn't blink. They suspended him for the entire NCAA tournament. Jimmer was so good that they want a couple of games.
Speaker 2: But that was that.
Speaker 1: And we could go over several other examples of BYU just simply having no tolerance for this stuff. And so now we wait. Now we wait for jakes due process. Now we wait to hear from BYU. Now we wait to hear from the parties involved, and we kind of see how this plays out. But according to the Salt Lake Tribune, if you're just joining the show, this news broke about forty five minutes ago. BYU quarterback Jake rehtz Laugh has been accused of sexual assault in a new civil lawsuit and a Salad County woman said she was assaulted in twenty twenty three, which your lawsuit says she reported to the police.
Speaker 2: So now we wait.
Speaker 1: All right, coming up on the other side, more college football, less of this, but more college football. Josh Furlong from KSL. We'll bat lead off on a Wednesday afternoon. All right, show rolling along today. Always fun to welcome in. My next guest, my friend Melissa from Sound Sleep Medical. Melissa, how are you doing? Great siate your time today? So let's start with the adverse effects on people's health if they're not sleeping well. What do you want our listeners to know?
Speaker 6: Okay, great question. You know it's all over the news right now or podcasts. How important sleep is to your overall health? If you're not sleeping well, it's linked to all sorts of things like anxiety, depression, high blood pressure, high blood glucose levels. You know, it can even mess up your metabolism and make it a lot harder to lose weight.
Speaker 1: I'm sure a lot of people are probably anticipating that we're going to try to sell them a seapath today.
Speaker 2: We're not doing that.
Speaker 1: You have a much more convenient solution. Let's hear about it.
Speaker 6: Right, No seapaps with us. This is an oral appliance. It's like a custom made mouthguard, sort of like bleach trace. You just wear them on your teeth during the night. It will stabilize your lower jaw to keep your airway open. Snoring and sleep apma go away. And the great news is it's likely covered by your health insurance.
Speaker 1: And also a great warranty on all the devices, correct for sure?
Speaker 2: Yeah, three years.
Speaker 6: These are very durable, obviously studied FDA approved three year warranty though, but it's going to last you a lot longer than that.
Speaker 1: All right, Melissa, Let's hear the special offer you have for our listeners who call you today.
Speaker 6: Okay, call in right now. The number is eight oh one, three three five nine eight two four. You can also find us at soundsleepmedical dot com. When you schedule today during the show, you will automatically get a free sleep screening, which is a test you get to do at home in your own bed. Free sleep consultation which means bring it back and we'll tell you what the report says. And then by doing that, everybody gets entered into a drawing for our Better Sleep gift basket, which includes a purple pillow, minky blanket, and a fifty dollars Amazon gift card.
Speaker 1: Very convenient. Six locations in Utah, Clearfield, Murray, Sandy, American Fork Provo in Saint George, Chris Com Roddie stopping by Today Live in New York City. No, he's not not there for the next Spacers game. He's there for the athletic headquarter meetings. A lot of college football in the show Today. Spencer linton yut rolls by. We're going to do some NBA with Dave mcminnimon in preparation for tonight's Eastern Conference Finals. Look back on Oka see dismantling Minnesota in the second half last night. But batting lead off on a Wednesday, Josh Furlong covers the University of Utah for KSL Josh, Happy Wednesday, Man, how are we doing?
Speaker 7: I'm doing well as the leadoff hitter. I don't know if I'm very adequately prep No, Skins, just need you.
Speaker 2: To drop a bun get over the first that's all, Josh.
Speaker 1: I know you got some speed left in those legs, and we do have to start with an uncomfortable story and you know, I don't know if you want to add any color or context to this entire situation because it's just coming out. But the Solid Lake Tribune is reporting that BYU quarterback Jake Rhetz Laugh has been accused of sexual assault in a new civil lawsuit.
Speaker 2: He has not been criminally charged.
Speaker 1: Jake deserves to process like everybody else, So we'll kind of see how this plays out. But of course this is a bit of a bombshell and bring him young. In the past has shown they have no tolerance for this, and I wouldn't be stunned if we hear some sort of action from the institution as the kind of process plays out. Josh, But what's your reaction to a story that could have some serious ramifications moving forward and obviously an unfortunate situation all the way around.
Speaker 7: Yeah, this is pretty unfortunate all the way around, right, Like, you know, it doesn't matter who you are, Like, if these things are true, they need to be taken care of.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 7: The unfortunate thing here is it's a civil suit, and civil suits aren't always the easiest to kind of understand in the sense that you know, no criminal charges have been filed right now, that's not to say that this isn't true or that there isn't anything there, but I think there's a really complicated situation here where it gets much more messy where civil suits anybody can kind of put anything in there. With that being said, I generally believe women, right like I think we should believe women more, and it's unfortunate that many don't and they say, oh, it's just for extortion or you know, you're trying to get something out of this guy. The reality is this happened, the alleged event happened before he was even the starting quarterback. So to me, this feels like this has been a couple of years kind of rising, and it's been trying to get it out there, and we still don't know the probo police, you know, kind of what they're what their role in this is. Did they investigate, did they look into this as an entity. I'm trying to get my reporters to get more in that information so that we understand that. But it's it's a challenge, right, I mean, this is one of those things where unfortunately people go too far. People try to get in situations that they shouldn't and it doesn't matter your status or your influence or anything that way, like you should be held accountable to that. So if this is true, you know, by us in a very sticky situation where they now have to maybe potentially change their starting quarterback. You know this, Regardless of whether this is true or not, this becomes an off the field issue that BYU doesn't want a distraction for it, right, and you know that's really going to hamper kind of how this season is viewed. Now. With that said, football becomes secondary, right, I want to make that player football is secondary. The allegations. You know, if they're true, they need to be investigated seriously and if they aren't serious, which you know, it's unfortunate that would be the case, you know, be when you needs to try to get this behind them as best as they can without it being a distraction. So tough situation for the Cougars. You know, it's it's not a position that anybody wants to be in. Every school has some sort of legal issues with players from time to time, So this isn't, you know, indicative of one school. It's just unfortunate kind of the situation that we present ourselves with sometimes in needs lives where where you know, kids are trying to figure themselves out and sometimes they cross the line.
Speaker 1: All right, So we've all been waiting with baited breath, quite frankly, for the House first NCAA settlement just to kind of be completed so we can understand maybe a little bit more about the landscape of what college football specifically, but college athletics overall will look like. And it continues to run into snag after snag after there was a roster limit discussion, and now there's another portion of the pushback has to do with power conferences trying to exude their control state by state, having legislation passed by lawmakers. Some of it is kind of josh like behind the scenes, but Ross, Dellinger and others have been able to uncover some of these pieces of legislation that specific schools and specific states are passing through their state legislators and kind of ignoring what it could mean for the ramifications of the House settlement, and they want to basically control athlete compensation and take away any sort of control from the NC DOUBLEA. Now, after a bit, I'm conflicted here because I don't think the NC DOUBLEA has shown that they're capable of governing college football or college athletics otherwise. And I don't necessarily hate the potential of either individual schools or conferences or one governing body, which seems to be the momentum here kind of taking away decision making and also punitive control from the NC double A. But the other thing this does is muddy the waters even more. And now we kind of sit and wait, what this What you know as far as what this could mean for the timeline of this settlement of the house versus NC double A. How you how have you digested the news over the past seventy two hours.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's been it's been crazy. I feel like once we kind of start getting a handle of it, something completely changes, and it's it's different, you know. I think there is a consensus here in the sense that every school, whether you be in power forward group of five, they want to abide by some sort of rules. Right, every school is going to try to skirt the rules to some extent and try to push the limits and try to find the loopholes. But at the same time, it's becoming such of the wild wild West that a lot of these schools are starting to realize, Look, we can't. We can't compete in this nature. Right, Yes, Ohio State or Texas or some of these schools can can potentially pay their way to get a bunch of players. But at the end of the day, this isn't this is conducive to a growing sport.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 7: If anything is going to handicap the sport, it's going to make it much more difficult for anybody to be engaged into it. And so I think people are well intentioned in trying to find solutions. Right at the end of the day, the NCAA is better to do the bidding of the university of presidents. That's what it is. This is a group. This isn't some binding contract necessarily. It's more just there the collective agreement between all of these universities. And so however they get to that, whether that means these athletes are going to be employees someday, whether it's the sports you know, college Sports Commission that Ross Ellinger is reporting about this agreement that is going to force schools into basically this contract that keeps them from suing and going into arbitration or else leaving their conference. I mean, I don't know if it'll go about extreme but I think people are getting serious with it, right. I think people really want some sort of framework that's going to work well, still having some flexibility in it so that players can get paid, schools can still have their benefits, you know, the SEC Big Ten. They still feel like that they can compete at a higher level than anybody else. But it's just a mess, honestly, And at the end of the day, the only one that's really winning at this point at lawyers, and they're getting all the money. So uh, it's it's a tough situation, but you've got a gonna be on your toes to stay in college sports at this point. And you know that that deadline of July first is closing soon. But I think they're going to get to at least the settlement. What happens after that, that remains to be seen.
Speaker 1: Do you think there are any ancillary benefits to removing power completely from the NC double A and putting that power in the hands strictly of the power conferences and this proposed new committee that is being formed. Do you think there are actually ancillary benefits to that?
Speaker 7: I mean, I think there can if there's unification, right, I think there's just so much disjointedness inside the NCAA, where you know they themselves have to recognize, okay, we're too deared right there. There may be the FBIS system and you may have the power for and then the group of five or group of six, however we want to classify that now. But I think they need to structure this in a way to say, Okay, this is what we need to do to benefit this group. This is what we need to do to benefit this group. And at the end of the day, I don't know that anybody that has a vested interest in it is going to do the right thing. Right. There's always going to be something that another party wants to be involved with it. To be honest, I think the best approach should be with the professional leagues. It should be the NFL. It should be the NBA dictating some of this to say, if this is truly going to be in a feeder program for our leagues, we need to have more consistency and start putting some of their collective bargaining agreement type stuff into it. They need to start putting up a framework that works. If this is the direction that college wants to go or else, it's still going to cause some problems. So until you know there is a college commissioner or there is somebody that's maybe kind of a person that's removed from the individual schools, I don't know that there's really anything that's going to solve this. You can go into as many contracts as you want, but as we've seen, lawsuits will break up anything and that becomes a challenge. And until they can figure out something that way, I just don't see anything changing that's going to benefit everybody. At the same time, the.
Speaker 1: Other piece of news that is of interest I would imagine to our college football fans here locally is the proposed new expanded sixteen team CFP, which is clearly being pushed by the Big ten in the SEC, is receiving a tremendous amount of pushback from the Big twelve, the ACC and.
Speaker 2: Essentially everybody who's not at their lunch table.
Speaker 1: So just to bottom line, it will make it as simple as possible the proposal. It was a twelve team expansion last year CFP. The proposal is for twenty twenty six, I believe, expanding it to sixteen teams. Four auto bids for the SEC, four auto bids for the Big ten, two auto bids for the Big twelve, two auto bids for the ACC, one auto bid for what's now the new group of six shout out Pack twelve, and I think three at large bids or something like that. So essentially, you know, half of the sixteen team bids automatically go to both the.
Speaker 2: Big ten and the SEC.
Speaker 1: Now, this is a two tiered application of a conversation because nobody can debate that the best football is not played in the Big ten and the SEC more often than not. But this is receiving a tremendous pushback from people that don't want to seed all this power and control and autonomy to those two conferences.
Speaker 2: So what are your thoughts? Do you like the sixteen team expansion?
Speaker 1: You do you think that because the best football is played in the Big ten and the SEC consistently, they deserve more auto bids.
Speaker 2: How do you see this play out?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's a that's a tough one, right, Like you said, like it's clear that the Big ten and the SEC are going to be the top dogs and buying large the probably going to get that many teams in regardless. I think you're you know, the hard part here is is you've got, you know, them trying to say, hey, we're we're giving you guys some act to it. We could just take it on and run because they're in charge. Honestly, the Big ten and the SEC are in charge of this this structure, and so they could do that. They could say, hey, we're only going to give you one and so it's kind of this breadcrumb to say, hey, we're giving you some instead of one, we're giving you access to two. And at the same time, there's part of me that says, I think the ACC and Big twelve should take it because then at least they're guarantee two spots. But on the other hand, that becomes a really flippery slope for what these teams can be because what if they have a team that's higher than one of these SEC teams, but they get in because they get an auto bid. It becomes a challenge, right, and I don't know that there's an easy way around this. The problem is is that the rest of these leagues acquiesced this power to the Big ten and the SEC because they were afraid that they were going to just kind of run away. In some ways, they should have just called them on their bluff. Is the SEC and the Big ten really going to pull away? Imagine the lawsuits then at that point. But unfortunately that's where they're at. And so to me, right now, this is them kind of saying, here's the proposed plan, and then if they can't come to an agreement, suddenly, now the Big ten and the SEC says, look, we tried. Now we're going to do it our way and do whatever they want. So there's no winning situation here. I personally think it's probably a fine structure, by and large most of the time that's going to be an okay model. I just don't love auto bids because that's you know, there should be I don't want to call it a straight rank, but you should have some sort of consistency that way, where the top sixteen ish teams with some metrics in there kind of help because there's going to be a team in there that gets left out that they didn't get in just simply because they weren't an auto bids. So it sucks. But also that's the nature of the sport. You're going to start seeing more Big ten SEC teams in there anyway, So maybe it's just the easiest way just guarantee at least the Big twelve and the acc have a pass into the playoffs.
Speaker 1: All right, moving on, because it feels like we're in class and I'm making you answer questions and do homework assignments as making everybody's head hurt.
Speaker 2: So let's let's have some fun. Seven point five.
Speaker 1: That's the over under Vegas has said for the University of Utah coming up this season. Does that feel right? Does that feel high? Does that feel low? What are your thoughts?
Speaker 7: I personally think it's accurate, but I think it's pretty easy that you can go over. And the reason I say that is Utah was closer than many expected last year. Despite the terrible situations on offense. They kept the games close. The defense held team still. I think it was like twenty point seven points. I don't have it right in there with me, but it was enough where if this offense could score three touchdowns, you know they win games. So I have to believe that this year's offense is better than that. I have to believe that this year's defense is going to be at least somewhere on par with that. Maybe not quite that low, but at least close that That gives me belief that Utah can get there. Now, you know they've got a good schedule in the sense that it lays up well.
Speaker 8: At home.
Speaker 7: You've got some of your more difficult games like Texas Tech at home. You've got Kansas State at home, some of the Arizona States even at home, and so you've got some of the top teams in the conference that are at home. And you also don't have to leave the state for the month of October. So I mean, I think it benefits Utah. I think if they can get their offense figured out, eight seems kind of the floor in my mind. That doesn't mean I'm over here predicting ten eleven wins, but I think they're at least going to be in contention, and I think eight has to be kind of that starting point.
Speaker 2: Do you have a feel at all?
Speaker 1: You know, there have been some it's funny you can do actually off season rankings now in conferences as far as transfer portal additions, who you lost, who you gained, and most people have celebrated what Texas Tech has done. Do you have a feel at all for how this conference is going to go and whether or not Utah should be considered as legitimately someone who can contend to win the thing this year.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think Utah should be considered, right. I think they're absolutely in the mix there. I think you see Vegas is putting them in there. Eighteen are essentially in the mix there from Vegas with a seven and a half win or higher. Only three teams at eight and a half, So I think it shows that there's going to be a ton of parody. I think that shows that there's going to be a lot of teams that are going to be vuying for that top spot. And I you know, Intel Intel, there's a team that kind of separates themselves. I think this is how the Big twelve is going to be, right, Maybe that's Utah, maybe that's Erzono State, maybe that's Buyu, whoever it may be. But I think this is kind of this is kind of where it's going to be. So I don't see a problem with it. I think Utahs in the mix for it. You know, as I was going, you know, I've kind of looked at all these schedules and trying to pick it all. Those eight teams honestly have a real pass down the over and so it's a real challenge to kind of predict losses because you just don't know what's going to happen. Obviously, teams, you know, have to live with pressure. Now Arizona State has to now live with that pressure of being a top dog. They're going to get everybody's best instead of kind of sneaking up on everybody last year, BUYU is going to get everybody's best because of that now and depending on this quarterback situation, you know what happens there. There's a lot of changes, and you know, I'm really fascinated to see how it works. Texas Tech you can buy a bunch of ways there, but that doesn't mean, you know, you're guaranteed a trip to this planet. Colorado tried that and they did. You know, they got marginally better, but not enough to really compete for the title. So it's really fascinating. But I think this Big Twelve, the more we get to learn it, I think it's really fun. I think it provides a lot of entertaining games. And at the very least, you get two teams in the state of Utah with Buau and Utah that I can compete for a title.
Speaker 1: All seems to be quiet on the basketball side of things. We did have Alex Jensen on the show a couple of weeks ago and we went over some of the new players, just kind of kicked the tires on kind of where they were at with the process. Have you heard any I think they still have a few spots available, and obviously there are a number of months until we're playing basketball. Do you have any sort of an update on the project that Alex Jensen is undertaking now is a new head coach of the Utes.
Speaker 7: Yeah, right now, it's kind of a wait and see approach. Right now, they're at eleven scholarships or at least eleven roster spots whatever we're going to call these now. But I think there's kind of been a wait and see approach in terms of if this NCAA settlement passes or not. If it does that, that means they can go up to fifteen. In the past, men's can only go up to thirteen. So they're pretty much right there anyway, and so it's just more kind of a wait and see approach. They do need to try to get some length, to try to get somebody as a center. I know they've been out recruiting and doing a bunch of different things that way, but it's still kind of you know, you're getting to the point now where most of the best players are going to go, so you're trying to find depth. So I wouldn't expect necessarily anybody coming in that can push for starter minutes. That's not to say it couldn't happen, but I think Utah is pretty content with who they have right now. It's more just kind of filling out the roster and kind of finalizing those last pieces, and there hasn't been any huge urgency to try to fill them immediately because they feel like they've got their core together.
Speaker 1: Since you and I last spoke, it's been a number of weeks, so I have not talked to you about the announcement that Cameron Rising has medically retired from the game of football and he's going to go through the process. Looks like he might have to have that hand, you know, surgically repaired, and he will become the offensive coordinator at his alma mater, or Newbury Park High School in California. So since we haven't been able to chat about this, Josh, I mean, I'll speak for myself. I fully anticipated and certainly would have had no issue for cam to maybe find a smaller school to go play quarterback at for a year and make a couple hundred grand, because why wouldn't you put off the real world.
Speaker 2: As long as you can.
Speaker 1: Not many people can get a job that pays a couple hundred grand right out of college anyway, but an unfortunate end to otherwise a legendary career and somebody that should always be remembered as one of the greats to ever do it here in Salt Lake City. So your thoughts on Cameron Rising now that we have clarity on his future plans, Yeah, I mean, I think.
Speaker 7: You know, time Hills, I'll lound and I think unfortunately Utah fans were beat down the last couple of years with kind of injury situations with Cam Rising. Now that it's kind of official, and then everybody knew it was official, But now that he's officially put it out there and talked about the severity of his hand, I think that's given him a lot more good in the public. Not that people weren't thinking that, but I think you're starting to see more that this is a guy that really tried to compete and try to fight to get back on the field that Arizona State game. Was a guy that was just trying to live out his best life, seeing if he could do it, trying to appease people, and it didn't work.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 7: I still think though, that Cam Rising becomes one of the top players that's ever come through the University of Utah. Not necessarily because of his full talent, right, there's better players that have come through, But I think everything that he did at the university and what he did to kind of propel it into kind of that next echelon of where they're at. Even to Kyle Whittingham's legacy is a result of kind of Cam Rising doing what he did, So I think, you know, he's going to be reviewed with a lot of fondness. I think there's a lot of reasons to kind of prop him up there as one of the best to ever do it. And I think just for all of those intangibles of what he meant to the program, getting him to the Rose Bowl, winning the back to back championships, especially during a difficult time when they lost two of their teammates to you know that that became this incredibly difficult situation and he was the one that kind of stood a top of that and really kind of rally the troops. So I think there's a lot to like and respect about him. I think he's going to, you know, as time goes more and more people will respect what he did and and I think that's an appropriate place for him.
Speaker 1: All right, Josh, before I said you loose, you know, the Salt Lake Bees have already ditch smith Ballpark for their new home out south, and I wonder you know your thoughts on Utah baseball playing their final game at Smiths Ballpark and some of the reactions that you've seen as Utah baseball is now also moving on from a ballpark that we've all gone to for a number of years.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Like I went into that game, going to that last game against TCU, not really knowing what to expect. College baseball is a little at least Utah Baseball, they don't get the same amount of supports as the Bees would, and so it was always felt like a big venue for the youths, right, and so having them have a venue on campus where it fits their their stadium attendance, that kind of stuff is great. But I found myself kind of reminiscing a lot of the memories that I had at, you know, the ballpark, whether it be covering events, you know, talking to Steve Clouke, who obviously has passed on. Unfortunately had nothing to do with Utah necessarily, but obviously he's an icon that deserves the respect that went with with that stadium. And then just kind of my own personal memories with my family, watching my family grow up in that stadium as a baseball family, you know, going to games and seeing them excited to see these prospects as they they talked to, you know, guys on the Bees that were potentially going to Angels or some other team. It's it's sad to see it go right, and it's sad that, you know, we're we're giving up this beautiful view to go speak down into suburbia, right, And I get it, there's troubles in downtown Salt Lake. There's issues with the stadium. It's old, but I feel like that's what made it so great at the same time, like it was this this stadium that just kind of rallied everybody together and we kind of became an icon where it was. And unfortunately, you know, we always have to be building these bigger and better and greater things that we kind of lose history and we lose kind of the sacred nature of some of these things that they kind of bind us all together just so that we can go build a better facility. So, you know, I don't want to wax poetic too much, but at the same time, I think it sucks, right Like I think it's not always great to be able to have, you know, new things. But at the end of the day, it is what it is.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 7: Happy for both programs, the bees and the youth that they can get their own place, but it just sucks that we now don't have Smiths Ball Park anymore.
Speaker 1: All right, Josh, appreciate the time, man. I know you got a lot to do, so we'll shut you loose. Have a good week, all right, Oh good, Appreciate that. Josh Furlong covers the University of Utah. Four ksl brought to you today by IFA Country Stores. When the seasons change, if you're like any good coach, you'll put together your game plan for a healthy green lawn and you'll turn to the experts at IFA.
Speaker 2: Check out their four plus lawn care program.
Speaker 1: Everything you need to make everything you need to make your yard a hit It's the ultimate lawn owner power move at IFA and IFA dot co op. All right, one hour down, three hours to go, we go live to New York coming up next, and we'll check in with the legend himself, Christopher Cameronnie, the hell is this?
Speaker 2: What are we?
Speaker 1: What are you playing on a Wednesday afternoon when you really only had one one job.
Speaker 2: To do with the music?
Speaker 3: I did punt on this one to our our guest k A little fairytale of New York here all right?
Speaker 1: And I'm told that k joins us live from the top floor of the New York Times Building in Midtown Manhattan?
Speaker 2: Is that true? A fairytale of New York?
Speaker 8: If you will?
Speaker 1: Big city guy over here, Chris, what's going on?
Speaker 8: Man?
Speaker 4: Coming to you? Live at the fifteenth floor, staring out at forty first and eight. Big day in the Big Apple. Forecast called for rain, not so much rain, but the streets are starting to turn blue and orange. And I wonder why.
Speaker 2: Love hearing that?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 1: As I often say, I like to claim that I'm from the right coast, Chris, you are from the left coast. How does a left coast or digest being what I've in? What I like to call the right coast.
Speaker 4: It is a great question, and I'm glad to know that you accurately stated where we each lie on that left coast. Best coast is going to be my firm argument. But I would just say that being here, I would probably summarize it best by saying, like this is America, Like this is everything and anything you could possibly need to know about this great, beautiful, complicated country is right here, distilled into a very small piece of land between a bunch of random rivers.
Speaker 1: It's such a great city. Man, I hate to be that guy. I miss it so much, and I miss it in the spring date. Do you find yourself enjoying it? Because most people from the left coach coast, which is not the best coast, but we will not debate that today, do not find themselves enjoying the right coast because it's a little more claustrophobic, shall we say?
Speaker 8: So?
Speaker 2: Do you find yourself enjoying the endeavor?
Speaker 4: I do. I very much enjoy it, but unfortunately I came at a very bad weather time. It is like fifty five and piss and rain off and on, and last year when I was out here, it was like eighty five and perfect, and I was riding the rentable e bikes and all this stuff, and now I'm kind of like it's late May. Like your city should be giving me a little bit of a little bit of reason to sweat, you know, should be giving me some humidity, but instead it's windy, it's rainy, and it's cold. But alas, we're not going to complain fair enough.
Speaker 1: One more thing here you referenced these streets are turning orange and blue, and there really is not a city that celebrates their sports teams and summarily dismisses them if we're fair, quite like Manhattan and the surrounding borough. So is there a palpable buzz? Can you tell that the Knicks are about to play in the Eastern Conference Finals?
Speaker 4: The buzz is palpable. And in Times Square where I am, people are already walking towards you know, I don't know the address off the top of my head, so I apologize, but they are walking toward MSG. And I can tell you that even just walking up to Central Park last night, Avan sent you a photo there was a party bus that was painted blue and orange in honor of the Knicks, and there was a basketball hoop on the back and people were screaming into the microphone all sorts of you know, celebrate toy mix information and words that I can't necessarily express on air, even though I did mistakingly last week. So for that again, I apologize. But yes, the city is ready for the garden to go nuts.
Speaker 1: The address is very simple. People overthink it. It's four Penn Plaza, New York, New York. It is between seventh and eight, between West thirty first and West thirty third.
Speaker 2: But the address is four Penn Plaza.
Speaker 8: C K.
Speaker 2: That's all it is.
Speaker 4: It's only like an eight minute walk from here. So if it stops raining, I might have to walk down and go check out some fellow big bombers. You know, maybe maybe maybe maybe get on a side talk video. Could you imagine me?
Speaker 1: You you should, man, I bet it's a spectacle like I mean, they haven't seen in twenty five years. If you have an opportunity, you should walk down and check it out. It's you respect, It's not quite you know, like what it's like outside Delta Center when the Jazz are playing in the playoffs, which is also fun.
Speaker 2: It's just different in that city and.
Speaker 4: The people watching is as a plus as it gets, which is something that I love to specialize in.
Speaker 2: Yes it is.
Speaker 1: What are you doing there, young man? I know you're not there for the nick game? What are you doing in midtown Manhattan?
Speaker 4: Once a year, our college football staff has a big annual summit is what you say in big time business wig parlance. So where the staffers are getting together to talk about the year that was and the year that lies ahead, and you know, just getting to see lots of close friends and be the least smart person in the room.
Speaker 1: So that's that's a group of college football heavy hitters on the media side of things. I know you're not a name dropper, but who are in those rooms?
Speaker 4: Oh, you know the great Stu Mandel, Bruce Feldman, Chris Vanini, David Eban, the list goes on and on. We've we've had a very strong college football staff over the years. We've had some people move on to other endeavors. I mean, once upon a time you had the Nicole auerbacks and now Ari Wasserman's who are now at other publications. But we still have some heavy hitters. And again I'm not even in the ninth spot. I'm the utility man on the bench.
Speaker 1: Well, that's uh, I don't believe that's true. But I'll allow your feigned humility on the program today. But let me take advantage of this. What are some of the if you would care to share? I know these are closed doors meetings with the athletic college football staff.
Speaker 2: What are some of the big.
Speaker 1: Time college football storylines and topics that are being bantered about in a room such as that.
Speaker 4: Well, as you can imagine the house settlement that appears to be close to being done, we've been waiting for this ruling for a long time. One of my best and favorite colleagues, Justin Williams, is the man who's been tasked with sifting through these documents ad nauseum for the last year plus and getting to know so versu is at the you know, the law, the judicial, you know, collegiate, all these levels that are necessary that you need to learn to try to distill this down into something that is tangibly easy to digest. He does a way better job than I ever could. We all make a joke that we decided to get into this business to cover college football, and we, in a weird way, turn out we had to learn how to cover the court system in real time, so lots of you know, have settlement stuff, the state of nil transfer portal, lots of lots of things that you could easily imagine. And then you know the interesting storylines this upcoming season. You know, you can't get into a meeting about college football without talking about Deon Sanders or Bill Belichick at UNC or is Ohio State going to repeat lots of very you know, typical things. But it's just nice to be able to get together with colleagues one year and just kind of shoot the breeze.
Speaker 1: So I mean, let's start with probably the hottest topic. Can you confirm or deny that Bill Belichick and Jordan Hudson are engaged?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 4: I cannot confirm that?
Speaker 2: All right? How much was how much was that topic banteed about today?
Speaker 4: I didn't hear much about it, just because I think we've been broken up into different groups. But I can guarantee you there will be reported very fascinating stories on the topic of Bill Belichick at North Carolina at the athletic in the coming weeks and months.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, Fair enough?
Speaker 1: All right, Chris, My guess is, I don't even know if you've seen this, But because it's the big news here locally. I do need to ask you about it, and if you want to punt until you can look into it a little bit more, I totally understand. But according to the Salt Lake Tribune, our friends of the trib Kevin Reynolds, and I don't know Jessica Shrifles. Is that correct? I mean, okay, so Jessica Strifles, Kevin Reynolds. This was posted ten minutes before I cracked this microphone today BYU quarterback Jake Rhetz. Laugh has been accused of sexual assault in a new civil suit. Okay, so he has not been criminally charged. And this alleged incident happened in twenty twenty three. Jake had just transferred from Riverside in California, so he was very new on campus. And look, everybody has due process, well everyone should, but let's leave that aside. So we'll kind of see how this plays out. Have you had a chance to dig into this, and if so, what are your thoughts on the news that broke about hour and a half ago today?
Speaker 4: This is literally the first time hearing about it. All right, I apologize to you and your staff. We've been in a closed door meeting, just talking about story ideas for the upcoming college football season. So this was basically the last thing I was expecting you to tell me. So I'm going to have to get into my best punt formation and fire away.
Speaker 2: All right, fair enough, fair enough.
Speaker 1: So sltrip dot com for our listeners that are just maybe hopping in your car, starting your commute home or what have you, streaming online, go to sl trip dot com. It's all over the socials, you know, ultimately, Chris, when it comes to a situation like this, we'll move away from the specifics because you are not familiar with it and talk about more of a macro viewpoint. You know, BYU as a track record of having zero tolerance for anything like this. And you know, again I'm being very careful here, Jake deserves to process.
Speaker 2: This is not a criminal charge.
Speaker 1: It is a civil suit, and trying to be analogous with any other situation feels a little up to sp The Brandon Davies situation comes to mind. Brandon was not charged with a crime, nor was he sued. But that was a really good basketball team that had a chance to maybe even win a national championship with for debt and they suspended him for the NCAA tournament. BYU is a team that most people have ranked in their top ten top fifteen range and thought to maybe have a really really good chance to have an excellent season based off of your understanding and knowledge of the way that BYU works, I mean, this feels like something that they're not going to mess around with, and like I said, do process is needed, so we'll give the space for it. But your thoughts on what could potentially go.
Speaker 2: Down with BYU and how.
Speaker 1: They're going to kind of traverse this space. And obviously Brian Santiago is a new ad, has a new list of things to take care of.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a tricky, complex situation, and my guess would be that the university, Brian Santiago, the athletic department, they're all going to say that they're going to let the judicial process play out. I don't know for sure. Do you know, Spence, if if the court or if the case filing was filed today, it.
Speaker 2: Was filed today according to the trip.
Speaker 4: Yes, so this is obviously very brand new information for everybody if it's just been today and they're going to have to my guess would be that they're going to be very tight lipped about it, and they're going to say that they're going to let the judicial process play out. And honestly, I think that's the right thing to do. And when it comes to the nature of things like this, it is irresponsible to really speculate on, you know, how certain outcomes may come about, especially considering the sensitive nature of it. But you know, you're right. Historically BYU has had a fairly strict policy when it comes to off the field incidents or you know, allegations of the nature. I don't have a great answer for you right now, just because I don't know the specifics, like I said, and it is unfortunately just way too sensitive of a topic for me to try to pontificate upon. So I apologize.
Speaker 1: No, you're you're right, and I mean, the one last thing I'll say on this now we'll move on, is for the idiots online taking victory lapse because you cheer for a different football team, like put the phone away. You don't need to tweet like, let's there's a victim, alleged victim who is potentially involved here that probably has gone through something traumatic that none of us fully understand. So you don't have to tweet, put the phones away, move on, and we will now move on.
Speaker 2: There's no comfortable way of doing that.
Speaker 1: But let me ask you this, so you reference the conversations you're having in the rooms about the House v NCUBA settlement, which I don't know, maybe two months ago felt like it was imminent and now it feels like it might be far away and continues to be far away based off of some of the state by state legislation that has been passed to protect member institutions from the very settlement that we've been waiting for. So what are some of the conversations you guys are having about where we're at with House VNC DOUBLEA And what do you think the latest kind of sounds like right now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you basically took the answer right out of my mouth, man, Like, it is so ironic that every time they seem to make a few steps forward, you take a few extra steps back. The fact that states are getting involved on this at a level individually could potentially make the kind of the blanket result that much more easy for everybody. Is very on brand for the state of college athletics, for college football and dealing with the NCAA as a whole. If and when this settlement gets done, it's going to be extremely important for everybody to get their ducks in a row. Obviously, but the fact that these states I think Tennessee, maybe Kentucky and a couple other if I'm not mistaken, are starting to try to dig their clause into this, the fact that they can make it that much more arduous and basically muddy the waters, it is very unfortunate because I feel like we're so close to having something like tangible to be like, Okay, twenty point five million dollars is going to go to each member institution and they will be able to basically do that the whatever way they want to whichever program they want, and we can go from there. But like I said, things aren't done easily in this realm, and I think a lot of it, honestly, Spence is like I think, people trying to capitalize on a murky situation. Anyways, some people are probably trying to come off as you know, pseudo want to be saviors, whether that's talking about individual state legislators or just other people as a whole. It the sooner this gets done, the better it is for everybody, because once this gets done, then we can finally get onto the bigger point of view, and that is, how is this twenty point five million dollars going to be basically chopped up and split up between each you know, major Division one university across the country. And then at that time, hopefully for public institutions, we'll be able to get a program by program breakdown and you'll get an actual, like real life way to correctly decipher what these guys are doing and why they're doing it. And the fact that we haven't been able to get there yet is very frustrating, and the fact that we could potentially be waiting even longer is even more frustrating than that.
Speaker 1: So on May one, Bill Lee shout out Bill Lee, who's the governor of Tennessee. He signed a six page state bill Bill number five thirty six, and Ross Dellinger was able to get the details and it paves the way for the state schools at Tennessee, which of course, University of Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Memphis, et cetera, and their affiliated collectives to break house settlement related rules and prevents college Sports quote New Enforcement Entity from penalizing those schools So what the officials from the powerful conferences have done in response is they're circulating aft of what's called a groundbreaking and a first of its kind document intended to prevent universities from using state laws to violate new enforcement rules and essentially require schools to waive their right to pursue legal challenges against the new enforcement entity, which is known as the College Sports Commission. So you combine that with what happened in February where power conferences simply are seeking more control over NCAA championships, namely March Madness men's and women's basketball tournaments, and obviously the CFP. All of this feels like we are moving towards the shift where power conferences, not the NCUBA, will control policing athlete compensation, and that's not surprising anybody, Chris. But what we're moving into now is the haves are now fighting amongst each other, where some of the schools that exist in states that are passing bills that literally say you do not have to fight the guidelines that are given to you when the house free NCAA is actually settled. They're now being warned by the P four institutions that you're not allowed to use state rules to circumvent the actual rules that are in place when the settlement comes down, Like somehow they've managed to make it more convoluted when it seemed like we were inching closer and closer to the finish line.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm in your city and I'm going to draw the most perfect analogy possible.
Speaker 2: I feel it.
Speaker 4: You knew it, You knew it. You We have to we have to. We have to figure out which conference is Connor.
Speaker 2: No succession, yeah, succession?
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, you know which conference is shive? Which conference is the eldest boy? Like that's that is what it feels like. And it makes sense because there is meat on the bone for the powers that be to try to grab power and a lot of that it's grand standing and I get that. But again, until there is a set, firm set of rules in place, people are going to try to capitalize on the quote unquote wild west of college athletics. So the fact that the big boys are infighting now and are going to do their best to potentially try to police the stuff makes a ton of sense because why wouldn't they Because they know that they can throw their weight around because they know, at the end of the day of their brands are the things that shoulder the load in college athletics. They know their brands are the things that drive money when it comes to TV rights and meteorites and all of these things. This is the reality of where we are right now, and it's going to stay that way for a while until we get some sort if we ever get that, if we ever get to the point that somebody is going to draw a line in the sand and say this is how you operate within the confine of the rules. Otherwise these guys are going to throw their weight around.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm going to try to do this. How to do this?
Speaker 1: Are we Are we allowed to include Walms Gams in the conversation or does it have to be the kids?
Speaker 4: I think it's got to be the Core four.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, because Shiv is married to Tom, they're the sec they have the power. I'm gonna say Logan Roy is Mark Emerate no longer with us.
Speaker 2: Uh, let's see here.
Speaker 1: I'm going to say Connor Roy is the PAC twelve. Okay, I'm gonna say he's the PAC twelve.
Speaker 2: Just hanging off.
Speaker 4: How dare you you wrote? You wrote off his presidential campaign before he even started.
Speaker 1: Uh, let's see, well, we'll make We're gonna make Kendall the Big ten because you know, the oldest boy, you cannot deny the power. But ultimately he's not the SEC. So we're gonna give that to Shiv. We'll make let's see, we'll.
Speaker 4: Make Romans the Big twelve is a great fit.
Speaker 1: We'll go Roman Big twelve. Okay, and let's see that leaves. We'll make cousin Greg the a CEC. No one really cares about him with They're fun.
Speaker 4: Great, great, great move. I mean, dude, I don't know, man, this is sports talk radio edit EPEX. I'm not even being funny either. This is and I'm on the fifteenth floor. You know, the city is alive. There's an ambulance driving right by right now, like this is as real as a kiss.
Speaker 1: We need to get a little succession soundtrack. We need the piano in the background we get we need to get that time. Okay, So there we go. So Roman's the Big twelve. Shiv is the SEC. We're giving Kendall the Big ten. We're given. We're giving Connor the Pac twelve, and we'll make cousin Greg the ACC and again logan is Mark Emerd because he's dead and doesn't matter anymore that you said it not me that all works. Oh goodness, gracious, all right, let's move over to what are we doing?
Speaker 2: What is going on today?
Speaker 4: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: No, it's wonderful, it's great, it's great. All right, let's move over here.
Speaker 1: So I'm sure you guys discussed this today, and I'm honestly conflicted because you cannot debate that the best football is not played in the Big ten of the SEC consistently. It does not mean that there couldn't be a Clemson or a Florida State or a Utah or a Texas Tech or whatever that rises up, and it belongs in the ranks of the College Football League from time to time. But the expanded sixteen team CFP proposal includes four auto bids four Shive, four auto bids for Kendall, two auto bids for Roman, two auto bids for cousin Greg, one auto bid for our guy Connor Roy.
Speaker 2: And the group of six.
Speaker 1: So again, this is a proposal that gives half of the sixteen team auto bids. I wonder how many people are like, what the hell are they talking about this is a proposal that gives sixteen like half of the sixteen auto bids to the Big ten, of the SEC two auto bids to the Big twelve, and the ACC one auto bid to the Group of six, and then three at large bids and then ultimately that's how you land on the number sixteen. Apparently there's there's a lot of pushback on this, but again I'm conflicted because at some point there's the conversation about the Big ten and the SEC taking their ball and doing their own thing. Anyway, how do you think this plays out? What are some of the conversational pieces you guys are having about the proposal on the table to expand this thing to sixteen.
Speaker 4: Well, I think what we've talked about and what everybody realizes is that there may never be an end point to this thing. I think it could be a moving target. It could be twelve, it could be fourteen, it could be sixteen, depending on the success each year, depending on the amount of money they make with media rights feals and on campus home games. You never know, man, Like, never in any sense of reality did we think one day we would leave the BCS system behind for you know, a fourteen playoffs and never in you know, nobody in their right mind never thought it would go to twelve, and here we are already talking about it expanding again. I don't personally have an issue with the Big ten and the SEC getting the bulk of the auto bids, mainly because they feature the best teams in the country. And if you're talking about it, logically, even the most casual of fans want to tune in to watch potentially dominant teams that they don't really want to root for. Now, that isn't great for a market like ours, where we have a couple of Cinderellas who want to dance once every decade or so. But if you think about it, when was the last time a non Big ten or SEC team won a national title? And we can take Clemson that like Clemson is the answer, but like when it was the last time a non Big ten, non SEC, non Clemson team won a national title? I honestly couldn't even tell you yeah.
Speaker 1: And that's what makes it complex because we're in Big twelve countries, so we can yell as loud as we possibly can, as we can yell as loud as we want to, but it doesn't change the fact that the majority of the blue bloods in college football exists in the Big Ten and in the SEC. Does it feel like to you that we are still moving into a world where college football, when the dust settles, will look a lot like pro football, or to your point, will this just be an ever living organism that changes kind of year by year.
Speaker 4: I believe it's going to do the latter. I think the fact that they've the powers that be have been proven year in and year out that they can change the game, they can move the goalpost, they can do it differently and still make more money. It behooves them to be able to maintain that flexibility rather than kind of putting themselves in a box. So I could be proven wrong and eventually one day they could be deciding to do that super league model that has been bandied about for a long time. But I think, at least in the very near future, it doesn't really benefit them to constrain themselves that way, because they've been proven time and time again that they can make more money even though changes can come.
Speaker 1: Is the New York Times building somewhere where you find that it's a nice, nice, safe space where you don't have to pretend that you like Hamilton.
Speaker 4: Well, I find it a safe space to pretend that I don't like college football, because until people figure that out, the ruises up.
Speaker 2: Man, See the problem.
Speaker 1: The problem with these interviews is now I'm just thinking about succession quotes that are just bouncing around in my mind. All right, Chris, before we set you loose, we'll let you get back to what you have going on. I still can't believe this conversation with the direction it did, but you know, that's what makes it fun. I'm quite sure you did not have a chance to listen to the gaffer himself, Pablo masch Junni on the program yesterday.
Speaker 4: Yes, I was on a Delta flight to JFK, so apologies.
Speaker 2: I was not able to Did you watch anything on the plane? How did you How did you pass the five hour flight?
Speaker 4: I took a little bit of a fake nap, closed my eyes for about an hour, and then watch the film.
Speaker 2: Would you share a care or would you care to share? Which film you want?
Speaker 4: It's called The Bike Riders. It's a film with with Tom Hardy and a couple other very handsome looking gentlemen. It's about a motorcycle club in Chicago in the sixties.
Speaker 8: I enjoyed it plus interesting.
Speaker 2: I'll check it out.
Speaker 1: So Pablo, and this took three or four different follow up questions where I definitely was blaboring the point. Because the fact of matter, Chris, is this like, once upon a time in MLS, you didn't have to belabor the point about economic infusion in your club. You didn't have to spend twenty thirty forty million whatever it is. Hence two thousand and nine our guys lift the trophy beating David Beckham and Landon Donovan, you know, with that club with Javier and Kyle and Nicky in the whole group. Well, MLS is not on the level of the NBA or the NFL, but it's grown to the point where it's no longer even an option to build a club with out economic confusion. If you want to build a winner, and if you want to be competitive, if you want to be unseerious about competing and simply develop young players and then move them on for a premium so you can satisfy your investors, you can do that. But that's such an unserious approach, and that is what we've kind of experienced over the past little bit, and I think it's got a lot of.
Speaker 2: People off guard.
Speaker 1: Pablo yesterday dropped a bit of a bomb on the program. It's a little breaking news, accidental journalism that he was told this week by the new ownership group that they are no longer interested in selling any of their young players, namely Diego Luna, who rumors flying that he might be gone during this summer transfer.
Speaker 8: Windo.
Speaker 2: Now, look if a La Liga club.
Speaker 1: Or Bundesliga or EPL or whatever, if any club in Europe calls Kurt Schmidt and says we will pay you twenty five or thirty million dollars for Diego Luna, I get it. But what do you make of what I perceive to be a really massive change of direction in ethos by the Miller family now that they take taken over informing Pablo in the front office. They're not interested in this ethos of developing as a you know, developing players as a club and then moving them on.
Speaker 2: They want to build something for the long haul.
Speaker 4: Well, this is a multi layered conversation, and if we take Diego as the prime example, it kind of makes sense because if you haven't had that twenty to thirty million dollar offer. Yet unless he goes on to score twenty goals and has fifteen assists, maybe you're going to get an offer from alligat Mchi's team in the ten to fifteen million dollar range. But is Diego Luna worth that much to you as a club? I would argue yes, especially considering where you are with the state of the franchise and the roster as a whole. There are some decent bones beyond Diego Luna. I know, you know, a Mecca is a potential MLS, you know, all eleven caliber player, and there are some nice bit pieces, but Diego Luna is a pretty damn good starting off point if you want to say, like, this is the guy we want to build our team around. And maybe I'm gonna get lazy here and I'm going to do the sports radio thing and say, like, does it make sense to compare having a Diego Luna to a Donovan Mitchell type figure perhaps in the MLS RSL soccer realm. I don't think it's that far off. If you talk about a young, dynamic, very you know, tantalizing player that that has captivated the heart and soul of your of your fan base that has been through the Ringer in the last five years. If he wants to stay and you can pay him the wages that he will eventually deserve if his star continues to climb, then it makes sense to build around him. Now their problem isn't you know, the potentially ditching that ethos. Their problem is is they have to figure out that the new Ethos is going out and spending a lot of money, more money than RSL historically ever has. And I know last year they sold Oner Skomas for reported twelve to fourteen million and the Barajas Kid went to achieve us for like four to five. But really, if you think about it, in the annals of RSL history, those are really kind of the two big transfers. RSEL hasn't really developed any other players at least especially out of their academy system that have gone on to become big time purchases from clubs overseas or on this continent. So great on you on you know, getting Pablo to divulge some accidental journalism. I know that's your secret superpower, but it's listen, man, this summer is going to be big and they regardless I think Rsel is kind of firmly out of the playoff spot. I think they've already lost more games so far this year than they have than they did in the entirety of twenty twenty four. But if, if, if the Millers say they want to hold onto players and not sell them, that's great. But you have to be willing to spend a whole lot of money to bring in players as good or better than Diego Luna if you want to prove to your fan base you're serious about winning there.
Speaker 1: It is, had to do it, had to do it. I really don't know what's my favorite? Which one is? My favorite?
Speaker 8: Ship?
Speaker 1: Is the SEC rules If I'm honest, Roman is the Big twelve is incredible? But you know Connor is the Pac twelve seems to work? Yeah, do you have a favorite? Before I set you this?
Speaker 4: Connor is the Pac full for sure? An independent you know, living off the grid on the West coast, you know Connor living in that New Mexico, you know mansion you know north of Santa Fe. It just plays that hits for me the most.
Speaker 2: Give me a Nixon six.
Speaker 4: K are we are? We are? We worried about what Tyrese Haliburton and Miles Turner can do in the pick and roll. Are we worried about.
Speaker 1: Look at you? Look at you? We are not, but I appreciate the ball breaked out all right. Let me know if you need any restaurant rex. I'm sure you're well taken care of save travels. Thanks for the time, Bud, appreciate you. Chris com Roddy from the Athletic got Lou says, it always does. Going to bring in our friend Spencer Linton from BYUTV covers BYU Athletics, So join us at about fifteen minutes from right now. We will talk to Spencer about the news broken by the Salt Lake Tribune at about one forty five mountain time, so ten to fifteen minutes before we crack the mic here in the afternoon drive space, the BYU quarterback jak Rreetzlov has been accused of sexual assault in a new civil lawsuit.
Speaker 2: So we'll talk to Spencer about that.
Speaker 1: Obviously, just an unfortunate situation, one that's not easy to talk about, one that's not not easy to kind of unpack. But that broke not too long ago, So we'll get to Spencer Litton coming up on the other side of four o'clock. Dave mcmannimon joins us for our NBA Daily Assists Today. News broke right when we started the show. Actually, SGA Shay Gilgas Alexander is your MVP for the NBA, an announcement that took a long time to kind of permeate throughout the news cycle. I'm not sure why the NBA decided to wait that long. So we'll get to Dave McManaman, we'll do some NBA playoffs, and then we'll also get to some NBA Draft stuff, as the Jazz have two first round picks two second round picks as well. Reminder that we will have great draft night coverage on June the twenty fifth. I will anchor the show and it will be Gordy Chiasa and Richard Smith smity forty years with the Utah Jazz. Gordy of course, a lifetime in both college and pro basketball coaching with some of the Titans in the business, of course, not your Jerry Sloan, Rick Patino and others. Gordy's the best, and obviously Smitty rules as well. So don't forget we will get you taken care of.
Speaker 2: In that direction. Did you watch Succession? Did you? Uh? Did you tune into Succession? I remember I haven't finished it. You still haven't finished Succession?
Speaker 3: I don't think so. All right, but I did. I did get into it. It's a good show, it is. I do think I need to to catch up on.
Speaker 1: Chris Camrodnie joined us last segment and it got loose. We decided to draw parallels between Succession characters and conferences in college football.
Speaker 2: Uh c K is in New York where.
Speaker 1: College football, the college Football round Table from the heavy hitters at the athletic are all gathering. Uh So that's kind of driven the majority of the show today.
Speaker 2: All Right, Porter, I've waited.
Speaker 1: I've waited almost two hours to ask you confidence level tonight, Midtown Manhattan, New York Knicks, Indiana Pacers.
Speaker 2: The Knicks are a four point five point favorite.
Speaker 1: I've listened to a lot of back and forth, a lot of NBA podcasts, I've checked out the news cycle today. I ignore anything Steven A. Smith has to say. Reminder, the Eastern Conference finals luckily are on TNT ESPN as the West, and therefore you do not have to explain to your children that Steven A.
Speaker 2: Smith does not actually play for the next.
Speaker 1: And I don't think there's a consensus about this series. I've heard a lot of Pacers picks. I've heard a lot of Knicks picks. What's your confidence level in the New York Next.
Speaker 3: I don't think there should be a consensus because it's it's a series that I think should be really competitive. Now, the one thing that gives me semblance of hope is that what we saw in the last series against the Boston Celtics was a team kind of full of players that you would like to if you were to create players in a lab to throw at Jalen Brunsonlics have them all, Drew Holliday, Jason Tatum, Jalen Brown. You go down the list and you kind of have everything you need, everything you would want in a Swiss army knife to throw at a player like Jalen Brunson, And they didn't have an answer. Indiana doesn't have a player better than any of those guys. Now, Indiana has some, as you mentioned, some dogs on the defensive ends, some guys that are are young and hungry and really fun to watch and really aggressive, But they don't have defenders that are necessarily any better than Tatum, Brown and Holiday so confident about the Knick's ability to get theirs, and the series might come down to, similar to the last one, the Knicks ability Annobie mckel bridges the defensive wings. They have their ability to bother Tyrese Halliburn, to bother Indiana and force someone else to beat you. That may be what it's a big picture very simply decides the series.
Speaker 1: You know, Jalen might be approaching that level of an offensive player, did it might not matter who's on him. I mean really like you referenced Drew Holliday, Derek White and then switches before Tatum went down, Like New York would try to get the switch if Porzingis was in the game, if Cornette was in the game, even Horford as well. But if it's any of the four perimeter players and you're trying to get the right switch on Jalen, you're up a creek without a paddle against Boston on paper. Because it's Jalen Brown who's six A, it's Jason Tatum is six eight.
Speaker 2: It's true Holliday he was six y four.
Speaker 1: It's Derek White who six three sixty four, and it it didn't matter you know, I was listening to Raja Bell our guy Howard Beck does a podcast with Raja Bell called The Real Ones and Rajah Bell former jazz man by the way, phenomenal NBA analyst on the podcast, spas on the radio and TV space. ESPN could take a look at him instead of Perk. But anyway, Roger does a really good job. And I was listening to him break down kind of how he would guard Jalen, and he kind of admitted, like the level that Jalen Brunson has ascended to, a lot of it is making him uncomfortable and hope you just hope you miss his shots.
Speaker 2: That's really kind of what it is.
Speaker 1: Just try to get him off the spots, try to make him uncomfortable. I do anticipate Andrew Nemhart is a pest. He is a pest, and so is TJ McConnell. And Indiana has all these different dudes that aren't necessarily on paper, the same size as the Boston Celtic perimeter defenders. But I wouldn't be surprised if we see aaron Ne Smith get some time on him. I wouldn't be some Benedict Matherin wants to fight the world he does, you know, and so I wouldn't be surprised if you see Andrew nemhard TJ McConnell, any of these perimeter players picking Jalen up full court, making him work for five or six seconds to bring the ball up the floor. And then the biggest thing you have to do with an offensive player who's elevated himself to this level is and certainly the way they're officiating the playoffs if you've tuned in, and by the way ratings through the roof people are watching NBA playoffs, with the way they're officiating the stuff they are allowing, a ton of hand checking, a ton of physicality. Rajah was saying it kind of reminds him of when he was playing. I mean, it's like nineties basketball. You are allowed to control movement of an offensive player with your physicality.
Speaker 2: So pick him up full court Jalen.
Speaker 1: You know, he brings the ball down, gets rid of it, passes it to the wing, and then you just make it really difficult for him to get the ball back, whether it's face guard, whether it's blitz off pick and roll, and then you just have to make him work as much as it possibly can and the unfortunate part porter about this whole thing is Halliburton can have a bad game, and you know, people forget Pascal Siakan was an All Star, and they've been able to get some offensive punch from some of these other players. And we've seen some good mckel bridges for quarters, We've seen some good Ogannoobee games. I think so much of this has to do with Kat. I think so much of this series has to do with Kat. But if Jalen can't be Jalen, this series concerns me. I mean, I really think the Basers have a chance if they can make Jalen work and then put him in blender situations. On the other end, I'm not sure if you can hide Jalen in this series. My guess is OG's going to get the Halliburton assignment, not not Jalen Brunson.
Speaker 2: They'll probably put him on nem Hard or even Nie Smith a little bit. But if Jalen isn't Jalen, it's different.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 1: Halliburton can have an off game and the Pacers can win, and that concerns me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's why when you bring up Karl Anthony Towns, I think that is that is a huge X factor in this series, just because you know it's the other guys that you may turn to because New York has the personnel mckel Bridges, Josh Hart even you go to the to the bench with McBride and others to row bodies at Tyrese Haliburton to really, you know, as you said, pick him up the full court, do similar things with Tyresee that the Pacers are going to try with Jalen Brunson, and because of that, yeah, it's going to be what can mckel bridges do on the offensive e vent what can Passcal Siakam, as you said, a former All Star do on the offensive event now that the bright lights are on. That's a guy who's been a huge part of really deep playoff runs. So you look at Pascal Siakam and yeah, I think you look at Karl Anthony Towns because the team that gets the most out of the other guys. Not that Karl Anthony Towns is another guy in this roster, but you know, not your number one option. The team that gets the most out of those players, I think is not a hot take, but they're going to be in the in the driver's sea here.
Speaker 1: Are you aware that Karl Anthony Towns has now developed a New York accent?
Speaker 2: I saw that, did you get I sent you the tweet?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you either sent me a tweet a message with him a postgame interview, he sounded like a Sopranos character all of a sudden.
Speaker 2: What was that?
Speaker 1: Now he did grow up in New Jersey, but I want to be clear, I've been listening to my man be interviewed since he was eighteen years old. That came out of knowing he's never had a New York accent. It was a less no Kelly, Brian Kelly, Brian Kelly when he moved down LSU and suddenly out of Southern accent. That is the That is such clown behavior, Like, don't do that. You don't have to fake an accent. We've been listening to Kat be interviewed for literally fifteen years or so because he was such a highly sought after high school player ruck a pock. You know, like he's dropping the New York hard and he's never had a New York accent. I gotta be honest, man, there's a little corniness to him that I have a hard time getting.
Speaker 3: Oh, one hundred percent there is a little bit of the the same stuff we talk about with Donovan a little bit right, and that Carl goes with, but hey, I never know how to like it's not so one thing you can like quantify or identify. Really it's just a weird, like performative thing. I like in it too. And this is really more of a case with Donovan. You know, when you have the two K the video game and you play the career and you have like you go through like there's an interview, or you're in the GM's office and you have like circle X square and you can respond to conversations with those yep. When Donovan Mitchell is getting interviewed, and sometimes Karl Anthony Towns Spence, I feel like someone is sitting there pressing circle.
Speaker 1: It's such a good pressing X, It's such a good call. Little performance stuff, oh big time. And the other problem is, Kat, we have hundreds of hours of you giving interviews and you've never talked like that in your life. One more basketball topic that's been permeating throughout the course of the conversation last night and today, Jay Gilge Alexander foul Merchant, do you have an issue with this or is this a skill that you need to win basketball game?
Speaker 2: It's not new.
Speaker 3: James Harden is kind of perfected this side. Then on that list, Jonovvian Mitchell, absolutely, and it's not limited to those guys. You can go back to the list of all time greats. Karl Malone was really good at getting to the free throw line. He did it with more physicality. He did it more so instigating contact and then just being bigger and stronger than you, so it kind of like forced you into fouling him.
Speaker 2: Right, Shaquille O'Neil did the same thing.
Speaker 3: Getting to the free throw line is is an art, but there is a line where you know, I don't I don't mind people getting frustrated with like non basketball moves. There have been some rules, some of them seemed almost James Harden, I say, inspired the three point one where you're kind of kicking your foot out, like. There are are un natural basketball moves that I do think should be taken out of the game and not necessarily ruled against. Right, but officials in the NBA should be trained to watch specifically things like that. Right when when James Harden is kind of baiting folks in and then ripping through. That's that's something that's it's difficult to officiate. I don't mind the uh the let them play through it a little bit, especially when it's guys like SGA, it's guys like James Harden who they lean into it a little bit more than more than others.
Speaker 2: Chris Paul like, there's a lot of guys that have.
Speaker 1: Done there are two specific offensive movements right now that the NBA, in my opinion, needs to look at. One is the Jokic and I love Jokic, okay. One is the jokicic. I am going to trap your arm under my armpit, yep, and then turn around and then flail.
Speaker 2: As if you're the one that was grabbing me. Steven Adams gets a bunch of calls that way too. It's such bs.
Speaker 1: And the other one and this is Donovan is the worst with this one, simply throwing your head back. Gordon Hayward. Hayward's bad at it. And you know we gotta be on our guy. Jalen does it a bit yep, big body Brunson, our guy Perk, shout out Perk. But the whole driving to the bucket and then you just get touched and you throw your head back.
Speaker 2: Makes it look like you've received contact.
Speaker 1: It's cheating. It should be eliminated from the game altogether. And here's what I'll give Shay. I mean, Shay is six' eight, Physical he can handle. It his angles are. Impeccable where there's some calls last night that upon review were, Horrific, yes BUT i think he has become like a master at his craft in a way That jordan. Did you, know with the ability to handle the ball with your size and strength and your speed and understand. Angles and if you're a defensive player GUARDING sga these, days you have to be so disciplined with angles and understand that he is going to take this straight line and then date you into believing he's moving in a different. Direction and then if you make a mistake as a defender with your, footwork he is going to take advantage of. You and that to me is a skill set that should be rewarded if the contact is. Merited, now if you don't touch like a couple times last, night, SURE i just thought he was taking a lot of crap for the dark arts of pro basketball that so many, great great players have capitalized down over the, years so we'll, see we'll catch a quick. Break we're gonna do a quick hit coming up With Spencer linton FROM. Byu we're going to talk about the news reported by The Salt Lake tribune That jake has been accused of sexual assault in a new civil. Lawsuit then we will bring In dave. Mcminnimon so keep it right here on this Beautiful wednesday. Afternoon we GOT nhl playoffs and THE Nba playoffs, Tonight Eastern Conference Finals game one between The knicks and The pacers on the Fan Dallas, edmonton six o'clock here ON espn seven, hundreds so stay tuned for. That all, right let's get out to the phone, lines bringing our Buddy Spencer LINTON BYU tv style on A wednesday.
Speaker 2: Afternoon, Spencer Happy. Wednesday how are we doing.
Speaker 8: Doing?
Speaker 4: Well? Man great to talk with you and always to be on your.
Speaker 10: Show interesting day to say the, least it.
Speaker 1: IS i appreciate the time and for our. Listeners spencer is a B yu, employee so let's get that out. There AND i know there are portions of this that you probably can't even talk, about but because it is news and very, newsworthy this sol A tribune has reported THAT byu Quarterback Jake Rhetz laugh has been accused of sexual assault in a new civil.
Speaker 2: Lawsuit no criminal charges have been.
Speaker 1: Filed so just your, thoughts what you, know your your reaction to the, news and then let's go from.
Speaker 10: There, obviously as an employee of, university we have been cautioned to let the courts kind of pan out and and let what happens. Happen AND i don't want to offer any type of opinion that's going to put the university in a bad light or shed any type of or make people think That I'm i'm offering an official, statement so certainly not doing.
Speaker 2: THAT i will add.
Speaker 7: A couple of blanket.
Speaker 10: Statements, One i'm glad that you pointed out that this is a civil, case it is not a criminal. Case those two things are very, different and there been no criminal charges. Filed, secondly it's unfortunate for all parties, involved and so my hope is that this thing can be settled fairly and, promptly and that all parties involved can go on and move forward or bounce back in whatever capacity they. Can but it's an unfortunate situation to say the, least and the timing is never, good but again just wanted to double down on AND i hope all parties can can get to a place where they can move forward and that there will be no significant and weighty lasting repercussions from.
Speaker 1: This we do have this from a, gentleman you, KNOW i believe It's mark about who is the legal counsel for jacobreets. Laugh he just Releases David he said, QUOTE i am the counsel For jake rhets.
Speaker 2: Laugh i've met. Him he's a nice young.
Speaker 1: Man he's also factually, innocent and we look forward to proving that inn Since jake's focus this year will be on. Football we don't try cases in the. Media we will respect the process and Establish jake's innocence through the judicial. System so we have a statement From jake's, Lawyer So spencer again understanding acknowledging the sensitivities and complications of topics such as, this and even drying a parallel or being a analogous to anything feels.
Speaker 2: A little bit of.
Speaker 1: Toose BUT byu in the past has shown they have zero tolerance for any of. This, obviously there is an honor code that anyone who attends the university signs and has to abide by and if they, don't they are subject to. Punishment Namely Brandon davies who played for a basketball team that could have gone to A final four and maybe even beyond. That we all remember, it And brandon this is. Different brandon was not, sued he was not charged with a, crime but he was found to violate the honor code and suspend it for THE ncaa. Tournament, so as somebody that understands the process behind the, scenes how do these things play, out how do these things kind of, work what's next in the, process as we Allow jake his due, process as we're all allowed as citizens of The United.
Speaker 10: States, again to be, Clear i'm not an expert in the matters of the specifics of how this will be handled within the university and the athletics. Department WHAT i can assure people of is that it will be very thorough and it will be very calculated so that there can be a firm and fair understanding in every facet of, this and that the university they hold themselves to the highest level of integrity and no doubt they will work with a lot of character and, again the highest integrity to make sure that they have fully examined the entire situation before offering up any type of, penalty if it even comes to. That BUT i do trust the process that is involved, there and this is a this is a, challenge no, doubt for the new athletic, director Brand santiago to encounter this so early in his. Tenure BUT i have the utmost confidence in the administration And brian and The Honor Code. Office it's been revamped and, frankly it has taken, on by, necessity an approach THAT i feel is better than it's ever. Been and So i'll leave it at. That i'm confident that the due process will will play out and that they'll handle this the right and proper, way and every stone will go turned over and they'll get to a, resolution and then whatever happens after, that then so be.
Speaker 1: It you, know this does lend itself to a bigger, conversation so away from the specifics Of jake and time will you, know time will manifest how this thing plays. Out but you, KNOW i always kind of roll my eyes When i've right here at Talking head discussed the Honor code AT byu and if an athlete has found in violation and is. Punished there are a lot of people that are in media and sports soccer radio that decide to crack a mic and, say, well they need to do away with the honor. Code they need to change the honor. Code it's, like, dude you don't get. It you don't, Understand like it is part of THE dna of THE byu. Experience it's part of exactly you, know why people go there and why people in charge of the institution take it so deathly. Serious it will never be changed no matter how many athletes get in. Trouble AND i just wonder if you could kind of elaborate on that a little, bit because you, know over the, years you hear The jim McMahon, stories you hear the Way lavelle handled. Things The gary crochten years of course got really loose And Bronco menenhaal was tasked to clean up that, program which was in a way like being asked to clean up after A Led zeppelin. Party And bronco did exactly that brought a lot of law and, order for lack of a better, term and a lot of you, know more of a drenching approach like, no we ARE, byu and we will be front facing about our, faith even if it's after football games during press, conferences And klanie is not as in your face As bronco is about. That but throughout the course of your time attending the, institution working for the, institution what do you make of kind of conversations that take place surrounding the honor code and people that have the nerve to, say, well if it's going to affect our athletic, department we need to look at the honor code instead of the athletic. Department so enlighten us a little bit on this conversation that's permeated THROUGHOUT byu for.
Speaker 2: Decades.
Speaker 10: Yeah, sure and a loaded, topic no doubt about, it as you've touched on several aspects right. There but WHAT i have observed and experienced really especially in the past few, years is the university leaning into this rather than pushing it away or even coaches trying to say, like, yeah you can work through the, art we'll figure it. Out, no they have embraced, it Especially Coloni sataki And Kevin young and all of the current head coaches as a source of, strength which is to, say, look we do have this rule system and honor code put in, place but we believe it empowers you to show self discipline and to be committed to a cause and committed to a team that will further unify you and allow us to focus on just the sport and the school and the things that matter the. Most and so they have.
Speaker 4: AMEN i say they.
Speaker 10: The coach is an athletic department in large, part have really dived into this as a way to galvanize an entire. Department and all of the athletes, say, look you're you're all following, this but let's view it as an opportunity and as something that you have committed to and a source of strength and something that will help you build your. Character AND i wish we had enough time to talk about all the particulars in, this BUT i have appreciated watching a guy Like Kevin young tell his players and his, guys we need to stop looking at the honor code as a. Barrier we need to look at it as this is something that will allow us to train, ourselves to develop our discipline and be. Better and, frankly he has said to several athletes speaking Of Coach, young MAYBE byu isn't the place for you good, athletes outstanding basketball, players but he's very, clear if you don't want to commit to, this then this isn't the place for. You And Kalani satakia has done the, same looking out for the athlete and their well, being, saying we are requiring, this we view it as something that is good and. Strong but if you don't want this, life then we wish you the, best we love, you we support, you but MAYBE byu is not that place for. You you and so with that, said It i'm with.
Speaker 7: You it's it's just.
Speaker 10: Tough like everybody wants to offer an opinion when there is a penalty handed down or some player is suspended or. Whatever, look could we be, Frank we're all trying and nobody is going to be. PERFECT i believe THAT byu does their best to help athletes in this more disciplined culture stick to. It there will be slip, ups there will be mistakes and now it's become like a kay let's lift and. Love sometimes there are are consequences and, repercussions but what doesn't mean we love you any less and then we don't want you to get you, know back to whatever the full status, is it's it's about that.
Speaker 4: Phrase but that's what this is the.
Speaker 10: Emphasis this is the heart of that What Kilanie sataki talks, about which.
Speaker 4: Is there will be, mistakes but we.
Speaker 10: This where we stand and and help you get back and be a full part of this. Team so that's kind of just What i've noticed in the past few years is not try and this is a hurdle or a barrier or something to avoid or something that let's go all in and, say, hey what do you care most? About you out of, line be as you, know as dedicated as you possibly, can and this will help us actually grow stronger as an athletic, community a university and certainly galvanize our.
Speaker 1: Teams last, thing and Then i'll set you loose on this. SPENCER i wonder if you, can because you, KNOW i don't know what the process is as far as the, athletes you, know sitting down with the coaches the administrators to sign the honor. Code but my very strong, guests having five siblings that went TO byu and having parents that went TO byu, together there's no, ambiguity, CORRECT i mean there's there's it's very very clear what is expected of you when you sign THE houto. Code and decide to be a student athlete AT, byu, Correct like there's no ambiguity in that, process.
Speaker 10: No and that that they have done a great job of really doubling down on that.
Speaker 11: Lately like you, know you know what the rules, are you know what's expected of, you what is, allowed what is not. Allowed that has become crystal. Clear each athlete and student, should AND i believe are educated in such to sign after they have a full understanding of what they are actually committed to.
Speaker 1: Do all, right my, Man, well, look there's a lot of other things THAT i want to get you back on to talk. About but of, course the news of the day is the news of the, day and there's a alleged victim involved in this, situation so it feels a little silly to talk. Football but of Course jake is the starting quarterback at B, yu and that makes this thing a sports soccer radio. Topic you get your time and willingness to talk about, it. Buddy let's get you on soon when we can talk about things that are a little bit better than.
Speaker 2: This how about that you got a.
Speaker 10: SPENCE i appreciate all you guys, do and we'll talk again.
Speaker 1: Soon and congrats on three thousand. Episodes buddy appreciates your.
Speaker 10: Brother that means a.
Speaker 1: Lot here Is Spencer, lynton one of our, favorites works FOR BYU, tv host OF Byu Sports, nation joined us on a consistent. Basis, so if you're just hopping in your car getting your commute started, home some unfortunate news and there's no other way to put, that because there are a lot of things to consider, here including an alleged victim who has filed a civil lawsuit Against Jake Retz laugh and he has been accused of sexual. Assault the, incident according to the, filing was in twenty twenty, three right After jake transferred from a community college In california TO. Byu of, Course jake blew up last year as THE byu football program had an excellent, season and so we've been talking about that throughout the course of the show. Today it is not a criminal. Charge it is a civil lawsuit that was filed. Today, now she said she reported to. Police she said she went to the hospital and was. Examined and so we'll go over more of these details before we get out of. Here but this is a situation where only time we'll tell we'll read the statement From jake's lawyer coming up in just a little. Bit but before we catch a break to bring In dave, McManaman we welcome In ryan from The dish. Professionals give them a call at eight oh one four to two Four dish save a grip of money on a bunch of different.
Speaker 2: Things what's going, On.
Speaker 9: Ryn and we just got back from the annual Team summit conference With dish and. Guys they just released a awesome new promotion and this kind of reminds me in my twenty two years is being A dish retailler twenty three years Being dish. Retailer we used to have this promotion where we get three months free for, customers and this was back WHEN tv was much. Cheaper but it's a little bit more, now so it means a lot. More but, yeah if you sign up now With, dish you get the two year PROMOTION us guarantee movie channels and we'll get you three months of service. Free and you know the real big hit is you know you're going to save thirty dollars a month at least on your DIRECT tv.
Speaker 8: Bill if you.
Speaker 12: Switch so listen and this goes For cable. Two call us up if you've got oversized. Bill this is the opportunity you're looking. For get three months free of dish, Service get the two year, promotion which is much cheaper than what you're currently paying by thirty plus dollars a, month and let us hook you up and get you installed as early as next, day and we'll throw in dinner at jcw's call us now four two four dishes, number don't, wait don't miss this PROMOTION a one four two four.
Speaker 8: Dish we're back on the drive WITH.
Speaker 5: Espns dave McManamon joining us for TODAY'S Nba Daily.
Speaker 1: Assist Eastern Conference Finals game. One tonight's world's most famous, Arena Midtown, manhattan Four Penn, Plaza Nick, pacers which brings up a lot of lot of, emotion a lot of.
Speaker 2: Memories The west got going last.
Speaker 1: Night we'll bring a little lightness to what's other otherwise been a very heavy show with some of the local news around.
Speaker 2: Here dave mcmanhiman is our.
Speaker 1: Guest according to The Hoop, Collective dave is the slowest of THE nba riders to file his pieces at A espn dot Com, dave do you care to confirm or?
Speaker 2: Deny?
Speaker 8: WOW i just want to know who dropped that line on. Me it will depend on my.
Speaker 1: Answer it was McMahon and then and then cooperated by Win horse And, bontemps that you by far the slowest to file your.
Speaker 2: Pieces is that?
Speaker 8: TRUE i may just have more of an art and a. Craft you. Know they might be slipping burgers And i'm putting together a meal for my. Readers, okay that would be my response to. That so McMahon left by what seven or eight minutes prior to me, yesterday and he's taken a victory lap for. That, okay good for you.
Speaker 1: Too so the real question is in, general who is the? SLOWEST i, mean.
Speaker 8: It might be, true that might be true on the. Slowest, yeah you, KNOW i also THINK i have more of a vocabulary rolodex in my mind to flip through than they. Do SO i love.
Speaker 2: It where do? We where do we find? You on this Fine?
Speaker 8: Wednesday, Dave Oklahoma, city digesting what was a fun first half and a avalanche of a thunder wing in the second half and wondering what type of series we're going to. Get certainly The wolves were pretty confident group today at, practice but that's under. Team it's not like they played their best Either shay gillis you, know And Shay GILDS i was in it starts off in game two for. Thirteen they still win by twenty six, Points so we'll see how this series.
Speaker 1: Goes acknowledging THAT i do not live in the center Of, MILAN i will ask you what does one do on his day off In Oklahoma?
Speaker 8: City? Work and then actually McMahon AND i found a little pickup game with some of THE okc, writers so to play a little hoops and do a little slow writing After i'm done with you and THEN i watch the next.
Speaker 2: Game you don't sound to be too thrilled to be In Oklahoma? City AM i reading this? Correctly that's, Okay it's.
Speaker 8: Okay it's a it's a bit of a hike to get, to not a delta direct type of, city and so you know that makes it a little bit more, cumbersome but it is a great atmosphere for the, games And i'm here for the, games so, yeah, no no real complaints.
Speaker 2: There would you rather be an Okay see Or Salt?
Speaker 8: Lake, well it's like a direct and a lot, Closer So i'll go Salt lake all.
Speaker 1: Day outside of the Route, dave outside of just your your, flights it's not bad living around, here, man outside of just your delta.
Speaker 13: Mind you, KNOW i enjoy uh WHERE i. Stay you, know actually There's i've expanded my. Palette there's a few. Marriottes i'll stay in downtown Salt lake. Now AND i do enjoy.
Speaker 8: The walk to the arena and back and you know some of the Spots i've been to over the. Years SO i enjoy Salt lake in the. City no shade being thrown by me right.
Speaker 2: Now it's the best you can.
Speaker 1: DO i enjoy the walk to the freaking, arena he, says two blocks from my. Marria you know, what Challenge, dave next time you're. HERE i don't know when that will. Be hit me up And i'm going to show you the. City, okay there are plenty of things About Salt. Lake you need to experience, it clearly you, have and if your best part is the two block walk to the, ARENA i am.
Speaker 8: Down i'm absolutely downb for, that because, Yeah i'm trying to like think Of i've been the Red, iguana of, course which very you, know that was very Good mexican. MEAL i do do pfchangs a lot In Salt Lake, city Which i'm not Knocking, pfchangs But i'm sure there are some better non chain that you guys have to, Offer so, Yeah i'll pick you.
Speaker 1: Up did you just drop A Pf chang's on? Me what are you going To chili's before for? Lunch gosh day Mcminnimon Salt Lake city fan because he GETS Pf changs on us walk to The Delta. Center my, Goodness, dave all, right we can move. On so, look last night an example of something that we've all. Seen, DUDE i don't know that anybody left has that. Ceiling okase hits when they hit that. Ceiling, now we know that the first half wasn't, great but when they really turn it on, defensively their defense was good in the first half because it always, is and then all the attention was more on the shot making in the second. Half But minnesota is a capable offensive basketball team with varied. Pieces WHEN okc really dials in on defense And shay is doing The shay, thing their, Ceiling dave to, me is higher than anybody, left and, Honestly i'm not sure it's.
Speaker 2: Club let just give me your.
Speaker 8: THOUGHTS i agree with you on that. ASSESSMENT i think that the, team AND i shared it with you before THAT i thought had the highest thing was The, celtics but obviously they're out one and. Two before they go, out they got. Injured SO i gave that title along with you to Okay. See there was a video clip of a kind of a bird's eye angle of the action last night THAT i saw on some ok see, blog and it was Tracking Alex caruso fighting through screens and basically you can't run pick a roll when he's involved because he fights through and gets over every. Screen and so you have someone like that who is one of three or four wing defenders that they have like, that it makes it really hard to get any offense. Going and then beyond, that not just a perimeter, defense they have really disciplined interior. Defense Or An edwards was, saying every time he got through a pick a roll scenario out on the, perimeter he turned the corner and he was looking at three or four people in the. Paint he only had one shot attempt in the paint last. Night and beyond, that you, know this is WHERE i think there certainly is room for growth for The. Wolves they shot terribly five to fifteen from three hundred thirty percent on the shots that we track IN espn as quote wide open. Looks so you think that theoretically can come up a, bit, Right BUT i think you look at the other, side you, say, well Shat gillis At vander didn't really have all that good of a, game and Its Jalen, williams and it wasn't like it was a light time game From Chad holger. Either so it's, LIKE i don't, KNOW i think it could be pretty tough for The wolves to win. Here that doesn't MEAN i think it's could be a short series because, certainly you, know The wolves have a pretty darn good home court advantage Of Target center as.
Speaker 1: Well So i'm a little bit conflicted on the fouls off With shay BECAUSE i find it to be a bit of an art form when you're able to manipulate the game a little bit to draw fouls and get to the free throw, line especially in the postseason when free points like you, know like free throws and layups and dunks are at such a. Premium and he's developed this ability as a six' eight big body dude who has great handles and understands angles to really bait defenders into. Legitimate fouls, and yes there are the screenshots of nobody touching him and him going to, the LINE and i. Understand that but over, the, years man we can talk about the greatest of, All Time michael jordan becoming a bit of a foul. MERCHANT himself i know that's kind of a swear word. These days so, and look there are, moments where Like when harden kind of kind of was able to develop his swing, through stuff it felt like it. WAS cheating i hate It When donna mitchell throws his head back without being touched and gets. The call jokic had developed this thing where he hooks you under his armpit and. Then flails there are some things that are irritating and straight. Up Cheating so i'm not really Sure where i'm at With the. Shay stuff part of me respects, the endeavor then part of me wants the refs to call it in a way where, you know you don't necessarily reward guys that are trying to cheat. The game but what's your take on this Conversation surrounding shay after last night with fourteen?
Speaker 2: Free, throws well he.
Speaker 8: Had eleven, excuse me he had seven free throws in the first five minutes of the game and the thunder. Had, eleven well the wolveshead zero in the, first quarter and, you're like is? This really is that really a? Fair whistle He had it was fourteen for, the game which is not an, absurd amount but when he's struggling to find his shot off of real field goal attempts and seemingly is only able to find a rhythm by getting to the foul on, That consistently, YOU'RE like i don't know a cafe or is? This right, and obviously ever since, you know Anecdotally About All star break of last season of twenty three to, twenty four the refs started to swallow the whistle a, little bit seemingly in response to the league seeing the public apathy towards some of these inflated box, score numbers, you know where it's one thirty one forty at the end of the game because both teams are shooting forty to fifty, free throws and that's carried over and it seemingly become intensified in, the playoffs where it's kind of let these, guys play and so if the majority of the players on the court are being officiated, that way and then you have one guy who is just that good at selling it who isn't quite getting the. SAME whistle i think it stands out a little. BIT more i think he drew thirteen fouls. Last night one of them was reviewed and, taken away ends up. WITH twelve i think you probably say half of them absolutely, completely legitimate and that half a. Judgment CALLS and i, don't, know like if you're From the minnesota side, of things you want the judgment to go. Your way if you're with the okay see side, of things, you, Say, no certainly THAT'S the mvp of. The league he should be getting a. Good WHISTLE so i don't think it sullies his game to the point you can't enjoy. WATCHING him, i actually you know now seen a play about ten times, this year and he is really really good to get into his thoughts and really. Really skilled, you know that little snatch back orribble that he has with salon extended like that is one of the most insoftful moves INTO. His nba so you tip your. Cap there but, you know game flow is never as good as it is when there's less.
Speaker 1: Free throws speaking OF said mvp two, part question your THOUGHTS on sga receiving the award and do you have any insight as to why we were all waiting for weeks to get.
Speaker 8: THIS news i was disappointed in the league for not. ANNOUNCING it, i mean how many times have We, had well first, of all let's start. With this, THE league i think it was seventeen eighteen is when they started to revamp the, awards process and they starting then would announce, the, Finalists right so the only reason we knew that the Finalists included jokic and Hi. Yis alexander obviously logically we, knew that but the only way we knew it empirically was because the league announced it Back. In april so then if you're already giving the public the information and then the bracket works out so that you actually have two of the top three finalists playing one another in a playoff series with a trip To The western conference finals of, the line why would you not announce it? During THAT and i haven't heard an explanation. FOR it i think in our, sensitive society it was probably, you know some politicking from maybe both sides if their guy wasn't going to win it and how it could affect. The series, but frankly, YOU know i think it will be much more compelling to watch, that thing, you know the Night after shay gets the Award And nikola jukus has something to say about it in. The series that would have been great. To see so that's disappointing in Terms of shay. Winning it it was a tough vote, for ME but i did vote. FOR him i Think the cooliochus is a. BETTER player i also believe that sixty eight wins is. A rarity, i, mean obviously only seven teams have ever won sixty eight wins or more in the regular season IN the, nba history and that's proving your. Value THERE so i got to reward that.
Speaker 1: You referenced the Confidence of minnesota during, practice today and ACCORDING to i believe IT Was espn Stats and info eleven of thirty nine on. OPEN threes i will say a lot of those open threes were. Pushed BACK like i Do Think oklahoma city's defense just continues.
Speaker 2: To be really really difficult.
Speaker 1: To crack vote what sort of adjustments do you exc fact for them to try to make so they can attempt to go back home tied at one, to one.
Speaker 8: An interesting thing in, a moment And the edwards last night SAID that i need to play off the ball More and i'll be the guy getting those cuts and shoot opportunities because they're going to continue to pack. THE paint I asked finch about that today and he actually backed. It up, he, said well, you know we want to whether he has a ball in his hands or he's getting it from, a teammate we just want to create. More movement and so, you know whether that is a higher screen that they're setting to get him a chance to get downhill with the balls in, his hands or, quite frankly if you're already, conceding that we're not going to have drible pennantation to delay, in anyway this is the best three point shooter in the league this year in terms of three. Point volume, so, yeah like let's Just Have mike conley take a couple of pro dribbles and kick out the ant versus. The opposite, you Know Commonly tante DiVincenzo nas read all, These GUYS nikhil i was. Gonna walker none of them could make a shot. Last night so if, you, say hey what's the worst that could Happen if ant takes. FIFTEEN threes i think there's probably some. Wisdom THERE so i think that's one thing you're. Gonna See And rudy gobert was putting it, on himself like saying he couldn't remember the last time he had two thousand in the first two minutes and he, felt like, you know that compromised their defense a bit. AS well, i mean the paint scoring disparity was Egregious in game one and that was a strength obviously Of. The wolves, you know they Beat the warriors by just completely owning the paint in. That SERIES and i recognize as they hard seeing home run are a little bit different than, You Know cavon looney and you know the other big sit the words who tripped me. Out THERE but i do think that's something that they're gonna want to take, advantage of so, YOU KNOW i, i, think yeah look for a little bit more off ball Action from edwards and, You Know rudy gobert doing his job at establish.
Speaker 1: PAD triumple i know you're YOUNGER than, i am but not, by MUCH so i can ask you This Favorite nicks pacers Playoff moment, HISTORICALLY speaking.
Speaker 8: I eight points in. NINE seconds i think that comes to. MIND immediately.
Speaker 10: I.
Speaker 8: Probably, that honestly they're all kind of an amalgam. TO me i, couldn't, say well that was, ninety four and that was, ninety one and that was. Ninety FIVE but i think just the warm fifty a TONE memories i HAVE OF Nbn nbc sunday afternoon at, the garden a monorshad that sideline potential hatime report and A STORM, peter vessi, you know breaking down The Latest, antonio daniels you know practice report that. He has, you know those those battles, Were great so anywhere from, you know say ninety to, NINETY nine a lot of great memories of those two teams playing.
Speaker 1: One ANOTHER before i set. You loose do you have? A lian you know we were talking about. THIS earlier i listened to a bunch of, different pods including your guys run you down for no reason while you were, catching STRAYS and i watched a bunch of. DIFFERENT shows i really feel like this. IS split i don't know that there's a consensus like everyone's On the knicks Or.
Speaker 2: The pacers do you have? A lien as far as how you think this thing is going.
Speaker 8: To go.
Speaker 14: Part of me feels like this is like one of those things Where the pacers are completely getting overlooked because the story For the knicks and the history behind.
Speaker 8: That franchise is so strong and for, various reasons, you know not, just ratings BUT just i think you see all the Scene In new york after they clinched the, conference finals like that is, That's awesome like that's what. Sports is that makes it so compelling to see that continue to grow from a conference files to the files IS something i think a lot of us are. ROOTING for I think nixon SEVEN because i think my heart is kind of With the, knicks there but my head says That the pacers are not an.
Speaker 1: Easy out, All, Right david now you got to get going because you have to file a story in. Seven hours so we'll set you loose so you can slow play your piece and appreciate.
Speaker 2: The time man. Enjoy, okac yeah thanks to talk to.
Speaker 8: You soon, dave.
Speaker 1: Mcmannimum whose favorite Part Of Salt lake city Is getting panda expressed as he walks from his hotel To The.
Speaker 2: Delta center you didn't, Say panda what do? You say pf? Changs there. You go what's? The difference? Is there is there? A? Difference yeah but? IS there i mean literally they're.
Speaker 1: Different places but don't they Both serve chinese food in a very?
Speaker 2: Quick fashion THEY do PF change i think is a little more sit.
Speaker 1: DOWN right i, don't, know man but that's the one thing you can take from your time And, saw lake you and joy staying At the marriotte AND Grabbing pf chanin's on your walk From the marriotte To The.
Speaker 2: Delta, center yeah we Gotta get dave.
Speaker 3: Out now to, be clear maybe not, like nightlife maybe a.
Speaker 2: Little bit there's some night. Life here i'll let you give the. Nightlife tour I'll. Give dave.
Speaker 3: I'll take dave To the daughters Of The Utah. Pioneers museum don't. Do that why we're trying.
Speaker 1: To convince i'm Quite sure dave does not want to go To the Daughters. Of pine do respect To. The pioneers we are pro pioneers on. This show that's. OUR stance i don't Know that dave would enjoy spending an afternoon At the Daughters of pioneers museum Here In. Salt lake maybe we come up with. Different options, we'll see we'll see that can't be like He's In.
Speaker 2: Oklahoma city have you ever Been To? OKLAHOMA city.
Speaker 8: I.
Speaker 1: Have, not actually you don't need you don't need to, respect respectful respectfully to.
Speaker 2: That city.
Speaker 8: I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna, Go fine i'm gonna put it on. The, calendar, fine go and then you'll learned that we have a nice.
Speaker 3: City here, Oh, yeah no there's A reason i have, not left not to go back to. The PIONEERS but i do believe this is. The place look, at you look, at you.
Speaker 1: AND look i hate to be the guy that's on sports soccer Radio In salt lake that's bitching about people that don't love.
Speaker 2: Our city i've never really been.
Speaker 1: THAT guy i believe you're over twenty, years NOW and i get a little sick of. The NARRATIVE and i understand why for some people. It's complicated, and no we don't HAVE like i don't even Know a Vegas is tao a Nightclub. In vegas still it WAS when i went for a bachelor party in like nineteen.
Speaker 2: NINETY eight i.
Speaker 3: Think, so actually but, like, YOU like, I mean i could care less about that.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 1: Aspect obviously dave mcminnimon has never Been To lake effect On a saturday night at ten thirty. Or cheers, shout out cheers juniors and by, the Way. Lake, effect yeah that's an example of why our nightlife isn't awesome.
Speaker 2: Since it's all of.
Speaker 3: The youths shout Out. To fiddler. It's, Back Sugarhouse, Fiddler's Great dennis ericson's. Favorite bar it, was gone now. IT'S back i know, the Owner so i'm giving him a guilt. Guilty shoutout we got at little. Wing action their wings. Are good fiddler's wings.
Speaker 1: ARE good i told you last NIGHT after i left, THE show i was ON a i should have set. You There, SHOULD yeah i mean it's a little out of, my WAY but i Lived in sugarhouse for. Twelve years then the hipsters, moved in and now it's way. Too CROWDED so i got out. Of there got to get out of. The escape the woke.
Speaker 2: Nine of the show.
Speaker 1: Is great then we get two woke but little, known Fact As dave fox, would say, fun fact even though None of dave's facts. Are Fun, Original FOX Original Rsl, Watch Parties. Fiddler's elbow, OH really I remember trey used to to make himself. Feel better trey would order, an entire an entire order of wings, for himself and then to make himself feel better that he wasn't just, doubting wings he would order a big cob salad drenched the cobs salad and ranch down in whiskey's wings.
Speaker 2: And cops and, He's like i'm eating.
Speaker 1: A salad, i'm like it's cob salad with cheese and ranch dressing that barely counts as.
Speaker 3: A salad just to, be clear cop salad and pounds of chicken wings is right down.
Speaker 2: My alley i'm with trailing.
Speaker 1: That, One well i'm just saying he would try to make himself feel better like he was being healthy and order a cob salad is like the side to his wings and then just drenched the cob salad and.
Speaker 2: Ranch dressing i'm. With it i'm. With it so shout.
Speaker 1: Out fiddlers, all right wrapping up the program For a, wednesday afternoon halfway through that, work week you are one day closer to.
Speaker 2: The weekends.
Speaker 1: Of course big news of the Day Today solid tribune REPORTING that Byu quarterback Jake rreetz lath has been accused of sexual assault in a new.
Speaker 2: Civil lawsuit jake has retained.
Speaker 1: Legal counsel we read to you earlier the statement from his attorney and then the Statement From Brigham. Young university they released that just about an. Hour ago so of course we'll. Follow this not sure what. It means it's just, IT sucks, i mean all the, way around there's an. Alleged victim and then of course we'll see how this, plays out and then we'll follow kind of. The fallout it's not REALLY anything i care to offer an, opinion On and i'm a little bit disappointed in some of the opinions that.
Speaker 2: Are flying around on.
Speaker 1: The internet you can always, not post you can always not take victory laps over things like this that are very very serious.
Speaker 2: In nature just my, two cents.
Speaker 1: All right We Got eastern conference finals IN, the nba We Have western conference Finals in, pro hockey a lot of college football topics randomly. As well on the program do you nervous Watch? The knicks have you always nervous watched? The next i'm kind of like, giddy excited but a little bit nervous.
Speaker 2: For tonight very.
Speaker 3: MUCH so i am a nervous sports fan when it comes to, you know usually it's it's very easy WATCHING because i, just. WATCH folks i just watch sports with like a, you know watching, for work watching.
Speaker 9: For.
Speaker 3: GREATNESS right i don't always dial in on the the. Fandom side, but man if if my team is good and there's, actual pressure there's actually urgency and it Is, the Nicks, the Mets the cowboys Or, the, HOKIES man i am a nervous nelly edge of my. SEAT right i can't seem to focus. At all if There's a nick like Tonight spends i'm getting absolutely.
Speaker 2: NOTHING done i.
Speaker 3: Will HAVE things i, HAVE planned i will have things, set aside AND then i will just, kind of, you know shake my knee and stay at my foot and pace across the living room and we'll see how it.
Speaker 2: Plays out but, Nervous, watching yeah that's. That's me are you gonna watch your?
Speaker 3: Live all are you gonna tip off before we.
Speaker 1: Get, home no we'll be able to get home. IN time i think it's a six. Thirty tip and by, The way i'll watch.
Speaker 8: It.
Speaker 1: Live then what they've been doing lately is actually tipping off like ten to fifteen minutes after the.
Speaker 2: Announced tip here's.
Speaker 1: THE thing i hate watching sports live because of the interruptions and. The commercials but when it comes to something, Like this i've got too many text threads. GOING on i got too many PEOPLE like i Feel like i've got to watch a live and just deal with, the COMMERCIALS which i.
Speaker 2: Hate doing that's.
Speaker 3: The Struggle, is usually like day to day throughout, the year you'll catch me. Watching sports it's usually. On delay it's usually, on record just because watching it live is kind of time consuming when you have to intake so much of it as. We do but when it's my team in a conference finals, or later or let's say a golf major On, a Sunday, super. Bowl, etc yeah That's something i'm gonna block off my time for.
Speaker 1: WATCH live i know we've talked, about it but tonight is what makes this. STUFF fun i got into a debate with a buddy of mine who.
Speaker 2: Is a he's a bit of, a hipster, you know, likes music he likes.
Speaker 1: Art like he's one of those guys that Has a christmas tree that's like small with like it looks like a. Dead tree it looks like something like Nightmare. Before christmas there. We go loves like my. Morning jacket, he's insufferable, little indie a, little bit a. Little bit, he's like why do you, Like sportsman, i'm like. It's fun life, Is hard like life. IS hard i want to sit down and watch the. Damn game and it's nights like tonight that make. It fun, AND man i just miss being, able to, you know kind of experience this through the prism of Watching, the jazz because When the jazz, ARE good i nervous Watch. The Jazz, Utah Football. New, york Yeah, the knicks, of Course. THE yankees i have so far surpassed any real like nervous watching Of the jets because they're such.
Speaker 2: A joke but.
Speaker 1: Twenty, five years twenty, five years, and you, young man don't, fully understand even As a, nick fan the gravitas and wait Of A nick.
Speaker 2: Pacers matchup.
Speaker 3: NOT REALLY i i do remember, the series and, YOU know i remember a little bit Of The, alan Houston The trail nicks and. Late, Nineties right i'm A Big patrick, Ewing fan but most of it WASN'T like i consumed.
Speaker 2: It, LIVE now i will say there was.
Speaker 3: More Of A PACER's knicks rivalry than maybe you, will remember or maybe folks Outside Of new York and indiana. Will remember going Back To Mellow, Paul George, Danny granger George, hill right those twenty ten to Twenty Fourteen knicks, pacers teams both regular season and in, the postseason had, some really really. Good matchups SO although i don't have the full knowledge Of The pacers knicks rivalry and the playoff series ninety nine, CONFERENCE finals I believe i very much do have a historical eye to it and a little little taste of, my own even as A millennial.
Speaker 2: Knicks fan will, you well we will see how it plays.
Speaker 1: Out Tonight the garden's gonna be, absolutely rocking should be a. Fun atmosphere we Also have stanley. Playoffs tonight you can hear that on. Our station if you're looking for the, basketball game head on over to the fan, all right we will say Good, night porter what comes?
Speaker 2: Our way On a thursday edition of the.
Speaker 3: Radio show On a thursday Edition Of, The drive spence speaking Of Those Knicks. Tony jones obviously he Covers, the Nuggets, the jazz COVERS the nba, at large but A big knicks fan as well of the athletic, Of course tony drops by each and. Every week we'll Talk With rafael BARLOW more nba draft Centric With, rafael Barlow but i'm sure he'll be glad to touch ON Some Nba conference finals action. As Well And andy larson will stop by the program On A Thursday jason chris to talk, Some Reale salt lake and some.
Speaker 2: Sports court we'll go. From there there. You go that'll be A busy.
Speaker 1: Thursday show we will, say goodnight and we will say a special thank you Today To, Josh Furlong, Chris Camaraddie, spencer Linton and dave mcmannimon for the sound you may have missed from the. Show today go to the website WHICH is espn Seven hundred sports, dot com downloader mobile app and take us on.
Speaker 2: The go IT'S how i listen to.
Speaker 1: Our STATION the espn seven hundred app is available In The app store In The Google. Play store then for what we do in our space every afternoon for, four hours check out our. Podcast page It's Called the Drive.
Speaker 10: With.
Speaker 1: Spence checkets it's available wherever you get. Your, show, subscribe, rate review say nice things in, the comments give us all. The stars that actually Helps Reporter i'm spen, saying tonight Enjoy your, wednesday evening enjoy some playoff action and catch us tomorrow right here On the Drive With spence CHECKETS on espn seven hundred NINETY. Two andfm we are proud to be part OF utah's espn radio network