Speaker 1: Say it again.
Speaker 2: When I was a child, I was home alone, which is always dangerous.
Speaker 1: I've seen that film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, this was like, rather than hurting other people, I hurt myself. I rolled a pellet of toilet paper up so it fitted into the breach of my one seven seven Diana air rifle, and I was trying to shoot flies with it, and the ballistics weren't all that hot. So I thought, for some reason, and I know not why, Let's see what happens if I shoot my own big toe. So the range from the end of a Diana one seven seven air rifle from a thirteen year old sort of hand holding it from the sort of hip position to a big toe is actually quite close. And I pressed the trigger at flip me. It hurt so lessen to any any anyone listening. Don't shoot yourself in the foot with a nineteen fifty zero air rifle with some Kleenex shoved in it. It's just plastic service.
Speaker 3: It's a very extended idiom, but I think it's normally abbreviated don't shoot yourself in the foot.
Speaker 4: In his defense, he was trying to get sent home from the front back to Blakey.
Speaker 2: Yes, poor old Tommy Nigas had to stag on once again holding the horses for the office of class and if.
Speaker 3: You were young, I don't know, Normandy or something the First World Western Front.
Speaker 4: Can we one day do the episode where Callum says the things he knows about history, but we tried to work out the order in which he knows them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, cool?
Speaker 1: That king wasn't there? This is the first one?
Speaker 3: Nry one, two three, Henry the eighth was is the more recent one?
Speaker 2: Isn't he? Have you heard the room the higher number? And I don't agree the rumor that when they released the film The Madness of King George, that they had to for American release. It was originally called The Madness of King George the Third Right, and they had to change it to the Madness of King George because the American audience wanted to know where episodes two and one were. It sounds plausible enough to do.
Speaker 3: You know that McDonald's were the ones that won the race because Burger King did a higher fraction of beef patty for the same amount of money, but to the Americans that a quarter pounder seemed like more, even though that's not how fractions work. So yeah, I get this in marketing stuff all the time.
Speaker 1: When people suggest things.
Speaker 3: I'm like, you're assuming that most of your audience is bright, and I have to tell you they are not. They need it spoon fed to them like they are a baby. And even then some might slip through the cracks.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. The number of things that you buy which are clearly for cleaning bathrooms and it's got do not drink written on there. You have to have to come to the conclusion that at some point somebody has drunk this thing called toilet Duck or you know the I don't know, bog Buster, and they have drunk this thing.
Speaker 4: And the cleaning products in that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I know bog Buster, that well known brand.
Speaker 3: I'd buy Richard Nigus's signature bog Buster Lifeguard.
Speaker 2: Yes, they would be very good.
Speaker 1: That brings us round to this week's sponsor.
Speaker 3: Use the code bog Buster to ten for ten percent of on your dex purchase by an industrial pack of ten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you bend if you want to, right anyway, Look, let's get on with the show. I want to know because you see, whilst you were preparing your large glass of Coca cola, there cat diet Richard was telling me that he had a good wildlife story. So what have you been up to this week, Richard, and what wildlife did it involve?
Speaker 4: Well, Richard, this week, I'd quite like to have been on the sort of a nineteen eighties nineteen ninety Blue Peter program.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Janet ellis have been two like a stoked.
Speaker 4: Well, there's an image for everyone at home. I'm down to one crutch now, so I can hop around off road, which means I can go and visit all the things that I've been neglecting. And there's our bit of woodland where we run our wild food and wild food sort of cookery quarters. Our next one is in July because we've had to push them back a bit. So I had to go and visit the Hot Smoker. So the Hot Smoker, as you may remember for previous episodes, is big wooden box upon them upon stilts. So I went to visit it last week and you sort of get her at an uninched door and open it and there was a very confused looking mouse living at the bottom of it, and sort of it stopped and stared at me. So to this mouse, it would have been like if I just went up to your house now and opened up the side fit just pulled it all open, and there's this huge thing staring at you, and it sort of scuttled off to somewhere else. And then I looked up and realized there's a wasp nest at the top. So I thought we'd have to deal with one species at a time, although my friend did suggest that we I tell the wasps that the mice are invading their territory, and tell the mice that the wasps are invading theirs, and let them sort each other out. So I went back a few days later. So I just trying to empty all this thing out, because there's all the shelves and the racking and the thermometers in there, and we keep kindling in there for because it's the driest place in the woods, so we keep kindling in there in the winter in case you want to start a fire quickly. And that's sort of in this big paper bag. So I cleared all the bottom pit out I couldn't find any mouse ness clear the top bit, couldn't find anything. So I sorted, I pulled the bag of kindling out and as I'm stood there, I've put my crutch down. I'm sort of balancing on the one good leg, and somebody else is doing some other tasks somewhere nearby. And I'd opened this big paper feed sack and put my hand in it and feel something warm and wriggling, and I realized the mice have made their home in this feedsack. And that's the point. About six mice all erupted from the bag at the same time and sort of wrad up my arms, onto my head, head and all over the place. And as my friend who is at camp described it, he said, it looked like you were a wizard casting fireballs, but instead of fireballs, you were firing mice off in different while screaming. So the mice are no longer in the smoker cabinet, and you can throw a mouse quite a long way when you're in a panic. It turns out, I'm sure they're all okay.
Speaker 2: It's probably a sport in America, the honest mouse tossing or something like that.
Speaker 4: You did tweezers for that.
Speaker 3: Don't get how tough you are, but if a rat or a mouse comes at you, it's very unpleasant. It's unnerving. No no one should be like, oh, that's okay. Yeah, they're quick and also quite repulsive. They're not They're not nice things you want close to you.
Speaker 1: Even a little.
Speaker 3: Mouse are quite keen on mice, but just anything rodent e coming at you not great.
Speaker 2: Have you never had a pet from nature? When I was young, I was obsessed with I'd catch phil voles and contain those quite easily. Wood mice were fnickitty little things you could put them. I had a large sort of empty obviously not with water in fish tank, and I put wood mice in there, but they really didn't Richard Nugas, Yes, exactly swim your blighters, but they they were. But I had a jackdaw, a crow, numerous grass snakes, all sorts of things that I sort of would find. I always wanted a weasel because I know that a friend of mine had a tame fox, and he said, if you get them when they're cubs and they're still black, then they're tameable. Once i've turned red, that's it. There there are fox and they don't want to be tamed. And you'll had a pet badger as well. But he said, oh, I think you can do it. Weasels, he said, they're just like a ferret, and I.
Speaker 1: Tried passing this law onto you.
Speaker 2: So I tried. I tried. It's just chut GPT. I just tried finding weasel nests and never managed to find one that had a sort of attamable age. And my dog used to hunt them out, and you could find a weasel nest fair easy in a hedge, but never managed to find them when they weren't sort of little pink griggly things.
Speaker 1: How does one go about finding a weasel.
Speaker 2: Nest hedge bottoms? Largely that's where they will have a nest up up north, they nest in dry stone walls, but we'd have them in a hedge bottom and they'll sort of go into little hollows in in sort of rotten old bit of howthorn, and they have them in there. Dog that was absolutely mustard hunting weasels, and with Mark where one was terrier, I called skip and you could rely up on it and then you'd sort of have a bit of foot around and then you'd find this a little load of pink that worms basically, and then and then you go but that's too young. I've never managed to find them when they were just baby enough. So I could snaffle one and time tame it. It's one of my It's one of my great if you know regrets in life is I never had a tame weasel.
Speaker 3: Well maybe at a live show, we'll let you recount that story and then we'll give you a but he's here with us tonight.
Speaker 2: Whiskers is here yay? Or you have a weasel caram Yeah. So if anyone has one of our listeners has got a young weasel, that they.
Speaker 3: Please send it to rich Nigs number one, windsor Castle.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I go under my other name of the King. Yes. So what have you done this week? You have? You been covered in mice and wasps? Callum.
Speaker 3: I was gonna I was going to give you my story of my favorite wild pet. I kept a slow worm because it looked like it wasn't doing too well, so I kept it in.
Speaker 1: Just like a tank.
Speaker 3: I knew something that had like a reptile tank and stuck it in there and then just kept feeding it worms and slugs and odd bits, and it did quite well for a long time, and then eventually I did release it back into the wild. I kept it for a long old time and it seemed to do pretty well. It quite liked it in its little little thing. I just had it in the living room knocking about.
Speaker 2: Didn't have a little smile on their face, but like I found. And I was up in Weirdale the other week. I found a common lizard up there and it looked at me, and I looked it in and this funny little smile on its face, and I thought, oh, it's the exact same smile that you see on a slow worm when you unsurprising lipless grin. It's got fair. Do you know that's interesting that? Actually? So do you find slow worms about anymore?
Speaker 3: No, there used to be one place it used to be actually full of them.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen a slow one for years.
Speaker 2: I've not seen a slow worm. I've not seen grass snakes about as much. I'm seeing adders, you know, it seems to be. And I went up onto a grouse moll the other day and I found a common lizard. The my pals, the keeper up there, sent me a picture of you just lifted up a water drinker that he's got up there, and a press though there's a slow worm under it. He got bitten by an adder last year he found three basking on there. Note that this place is crawling with reptiles up there, bearing in mind that this was on a piece of heather which we were on, which they've burnt two years ago. So if you read all the narrative, apparently one of the reasons why we've got to stop mirburn is because it kills all these adders and slow worms and other assorted reptiles. And the only place I've seen reptiles in profusion is up on a grouse more where they have just recently done merburn. So either someone's telling this porky pies or or it doesn't kill stuff. I don't know. It's very peculiar at.
Speaker 4: Well, maybe it's the thing about upward mobility within the class system, because you've got your fewer common lizards, but presumably they've all moved out to Suffolk to become middle class lists middle classes.
Speaker 2: We don't really have middle class here. We don't have them. We have sort of drop say that again, yeah, we don't have middle class people here. We have drop out hippie.
Speaker 4: You're in an orangeury.
Speaker 2: This is my study. Middle class people don't have studies. It's the wholey handed working class. How much ikea furniture is in your house? Do you know what a turkey twizzler is. I know what a pheasant twizzler is. I don't have any Ikea furniture. No, we used to have Ikea furniture case.
Speaker 1: But no further questions.
Speaker 2: You're it's it's my nineteenth wedding anniversary today. And I'm of the firm belief that basically, you get rid of all your Ikea furniture after your seventh wedding anniversary because by seven years, the chances are you're probably going to stay married, so you might as well get stuff you both like, right, Whereas if you're going to go and wait for that first six years of marriage, you know, you might go think ass is a stupid idea. So if you bought Ikea, it doesn't matter, because you're not going to go and feel, you know that emotionally attached to a dining room table, which is called a flack blad or something.
Speaker 4: You're telling it. It took you onto your nearly eighth wedding anniversary before you were sure about Claire. Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 2: No, No, no, that is not what that sounds like.
Speaker 4: That's what he said, didn't he? Come on?
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he said.
Speaker 2: Ed ya, If I did say that, edit that out immediately, because I want to see the twentieth wedding anniversary?
Speaker 1: What is twenty years?
Speaker 2: Isn't?
Speaker 1: Doesn't it get more and more disappointing.
Speaker 3: Like it's like tin, It's like an old Chris packet, you know, armpacket of fags or something.
Speaker 4: What you get injected with adamantium. You're just your broke bones don't break anymore.
Speaker 2: My I believe that the nineteenth Wedding Anniversary is bronze.
Speaker 1: You are correct, it is bronze.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I did check a week or so ago, thinking should I get something bronze? I think no, So I took a lunch in the Angel embarrass and Edmonds instead. So that was that was nicer.
Speaker 4: This is fascinating glimpses into the way you live your life and your decision making process. That's why, that's why I keep coming back week after week.
Speaker 1: There's so much every every just every decisions.
Speaker 2: Who wouldn't like to go for lunch in a beautiful old Georgian hotel you know where Dickens wrote the Pickwick papers and Martin Chuzzlewit and yeah, I mean it's great or would you like to have this random object from bronze because some marketing man from some good company who sells stuff to people who who do wedding anniversary gifts. No, I'm not bowing down to you. What is what do you have to buy for your twentieth What's what's the twentieth wedding anniversary gift? Them?
Speaker 1: You've got here china or porcelain.
Speaker 2: Okay, that'd be nice for a potter to give us that this is made by someone else.
Speaker 4: Who gives some china clay dig out the pits of toxicity Cornwall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going to say that'd be nice here we're going to We're going to Cornwall. That nice. Yes, I've booked us in on a mining trip. That'd be fun. Ye, common Canum. So other than taming slowworms, have you done anything contemporarily?
Speaker 3: I visited the County of Suffolk this week. We went back to right near Hadley, a little bit with the Marquis.
Speaker 1: Delightful food.
Speaker 3: I've enjoyed the sun if you've if you've seen it in the sky, it's been pretty.
Speaker 4: You were taking photos of women and bikinis at the pool.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 3: It wasn't intentional, but some people, some people caught my Instagram story and a few people commented on something that was in the background, which I had no idea about. It was it was a lady's buttocks, and a few people commented on it, and I just I just commented back one for the fans.
Speaker 1: So I mean, yeah, have.
Speaker 2: You ever have you ever inadvertently taken a photograph when you realize that somebody either famous or not famous, is doing something in the background and go, oh dear, that's a lawsuit waiting to happen. You ever taken a shot when Yeah, so many.
Speaker 3: I've got a hard drive full of loads of stuff, like celebrities doing things they shouldn't do, just people in high places doing things, not like career ending anything terrible, but like, if you've done your job job properly, people relax to a point that they will show you behind the curtain. And if they show you behind the curtain, that could be yeah, taken out of context, but you know that's that's that's the job, really cha to make people chill out and yeah and do those sorts of things cool.
Speaker 4: Then there's also the photos where that person was doing something that they thought was absolutely okay, But because they didn't, you know, you weren't socially aware or anything like that, you decided yourself, for the sake of their reputation to not share it or not edit that one.
Speaker 3: I mean, some people, like some people that you know and respect, they'll do things and you're like, it's like your first day on the planet and you've only just worked out that you've got hands and like to do things, and you think like you're idolized by people. People think you're the best, and you're not actually able to function like a regular human being, and you sort of it. Really, you do have the option to spoil the illusion of a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Agreed. I mean, I was telling Richard, I'm currently reading middle Land by Rory Stewart, and when Rory's Stewart was going for the leader of the Conservative Party, they decided to do these head to head things in a studio and they'd clearly said, right, well, how are going to work. This is going to get the camera to pan on each of your faces. You've got a whole eye contact with the camera for five seconds, and it's going to pan from left to right, and so you've got Boris Johnson you've got uh, Theresa May, You've got Angela led Some and Michael Gove, and here is Rory Stewart and most of them they look slightly uncomfortable because suddenly I'm to stare into the camera and hold that contact and don't say anything but Rory Stewart's face. It is like, literally, they'd said, make yourself look like the least likely person who is shouldn't even lead a group of cub scouts into not a tying contest because he pulls this bizarre gun. And it was exactly like I say, no one, no one had actually explained to him, when you look at some thing, make a facial expression that doesn't make it look like a serial killer. It was. And he did actually write in a book say I think I lost my chance in that five second step. So yes, it is something that the people need to perhaps be aware of if they are going to be in the public eye, what you do with your hands and what you do with your face.
Speaker 4: Being able to practice a good neutral facial expression that would work for any occasion, you know, funeral day, in court, middle of an orgasm, whatever it would work for, you know, the same sort of facial expression that's just that's just all the way through. I think that's a talent. I think it's something to teach you at the right public school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly, Yeah, speaking so many ways.
Speaker 4: Yes, or Jeremy Clarkson went to a public school.
Speaker 2: He went to rep that I believe.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 4: And as we record this on Tuesday, the twenty sixth of May, we're kind of overwhelmed by news stories about how crap Farmfest was. Yeah, if you believe all the new stories. So I think we should talk about that for a bit. So did either of you know it was on? That's the first question.
Speaker 2: No, to be perfect, it was something that sort of flashed up on my Funny enough. The only reason I knew it was on was because the no Farmers, No Food WhatsApp group has got some sort of high profileish farmers and they were saying, you going to this thing? Have you been asked for this? Have you been asked to this? What thing? And they went all this and it went back up the thread thirty sort of days before, and so no, I wasn't aware. I only was really aware that it was on when all of a sudden, my farm Fest exactly. I think that was the problem I was. I was only aware that farm Fest had been on when I suddenly saw these very irate stareholders saying that they were either packing up a day early, or they were or they were wanting their money back, or they would ruin their business or something like that.
Speaker 3: A good summation of what farming is actually like, Yeah, exactly what an immersive experience could you get? You know, the promise the world deliver nothing, really hard time, probably exhausted and financially.
Speaker 2: There you go. You have had the real farming experience. No, I mean tell me more. Have you actually sort of looked into this?
Speaker 4: Yes, I have, because you know, sometimes just enough things passed by your little viewport of life and you think, I'm going to look at this because it's interesting.
Speaker 2: I was today.
Speaker 4: I spoke to two or three people who were there as traders, two or three people who were there as punters, and a couple of people.
Speaker 1: Is this investigative journalism?
Speaker 4: It's all here saying this is the thing I'm not. I'm not Guy Adams off of the Daily Mail. You know, I'm not going to do a proper job and actually come with sources and references.
Speaker 2: But you spoke to people I spoke to people.
Speaker 4: But yeah, but I could say my my postman says this, you know, so the great I think it was great British farm Fest and it's it was this weekend just gone. It was a Stoneley Park in Warwickshire, and it was organized by well the sort of the function below the headline was Stable Events, so they're the same people who do the game fare and a few other things. I want to preface this, all of this, possibly for the sake of our solicitors, by saying that this is this is all sort of you know, reporting what has been said. Yeah, any any coincidental likeness of the people or events is incidents.
Speaker 1: And my sources are trust me, bright ahead.
Speaker 2: It's not.
Speaker 4: I've got some WhatsApp voice notes that people have sent me about it. So it looks all the stuff in the papers at the moment and the news about it is there are a load of annoyed traders about the who said that it was either poorly organized, or there was no football, or nobody can get to the bit of the event where they were, or it was very expensive. They didn't say sell anything. A few people left early and they sort of took to social media to say why they were leaving. You can look that up for yourself. It's all over whichever social media platform you're on. So I'm going to piece the other now as far as I can tell what happened, because it's the first time the event's been run. It was branded with Team Clarkson, with Jeremy clarks and Clarkson's Farms, so everyone who is now effectively a character on the Clarkson's Farms TV show, So Jeremy Clarkson, Lisa Cheerful, Charlie Gerald, all of these. Of course, they were all there in one degree or another, and they were there in all the marketing for it as well, and it had Hawkstone there and everything like that, and it was the Great British Farmfest. One I think has happened is that it was touted to the public as a festival music festival sort of thing because of the bands there.
Speaker 3: Like Alex Shames from Blair, Sophie Elis and Grouvermada on stage in this series, so there was some of that.
Speaker 4: It's the late nineties basically there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the late nineties, early two thousands, and it was sort of put together as a festival for the public, but it looks like it was sold to the traders as being more like the game Fair, which is.
Speaker 4: More like agricultural show shopping event, and the marketing maybe I have no idea if it's good or not because I knew about it weeks ago, but were kind of in this space. But loads of people I know who were also in the space had no idea what it was on. No, it seems like a lot of their marketing went via they approached agricultural influencers to be ambassadors for the show. And I've always got this theory that because somebody has a lot of following on Instagram or TikTok or wherever, it does not mean it will translate anyway into sales of a physical product or a service, because what people follow that person for is the stuff they do on social media, not to pay thirty quid or sixty quid and drive to Warwickshire for a day in the sun.
Speaker 2: Could not agree more.
Speaker 4: So you have that issue. And then if you look at what a few of the traders say they were approached at other shows and say just earlier in the year to say, oh, well, do you know Jeremy Clarkson is doing his own farming show. It's going to be at Stoneley Park. Why didn't you come here?
Speaker 2: It is?
Speaker 4: Here's the bill for two grand for a pitch or thereabouts. As always with these events, the pitch fees vary depending whether you're on a corner, whether you've got a double slow, a single slot, wherever you are. So people are quoting anything between the cost of between two to ten grand, but some people are sort of bundling in.
Speaker 2: Staff costs and all of that.
Speaker 4: It looks like people who were there pretty happy with it overall as a festival if you're a punter, and people who were there as traders, either food or retail, feel like they were the missold or they sold too many trader slots. And I think one of our food contacts, and I won't say who it is, but they spoke to a few of their friends who were there and basically you would have sold about two hundred items if you spread the attendance evenly between the food traders, which is not enough to make back your costs, even at festival prices where people are charging fifteen quid for a baked potato.
Speaker 3: This is it though, like fifteen quid for I mean, I'm sure there's people that sell coal's beers, probably didn't do like the Hawkstone lager tent, probably wasn't struggling to get people to spend their money. But if you're selling fifteen pounds baked potatoes on one of the hottest day of the year, I'm sure you would struggle.
Speaker 4: And there's one that a lot of people are picking up on is effectively a pet food company selling twenty five kilo bags of dog food, which is not a great seller at a festival. But you've got to You've effectively got to do a march across dry fields to get there. What you're going to do? Turn around, go, then come back.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine murder on the dance floor with you with your twenty five kilos?
Speaker 2: I mean, I have to say I've only got some experiences of some of the events that Claire has been to selling her pottery this year, that this time last year sales were up and she was sold at and that we saw similar footfall, similar sort of demographic. It's not that people aren't going to events. I just think people are drawing their horns in slightly and so therefore buying that thing that you don't necessarily need but you might want you might not buy their I know people sort of specifically with the game fair. They say, I'm saving the money because I'm going to go and buy something at the game fair because I'm bound to get a good discount deal. I don't know whether you do or you don't there, but you know you've got all those things on. You bought three guns at.
Speaker 4: The game pair over the years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So, I mean, I think any new events, just because it's got the magic fairy dust of Clarkson over it does not necessarily mean it's going to be a success. Clarkson's Farm hasn't been on the telly for a couple of months, so therefore it's not that hot and fresh in the minds of some many. And I'll tell you one thing the Suffolk Show last year, they realized that sales were down and there was a very large potato buying firm who makes frozen potatoes, probably the most famous one, was going to sponsor one of the areas, the Farming Live demonstration area, and they pulled out quite last minute dot Com and it really put the Suffolk Show in show organizing terms, quite on the back foot, and the chairman of the Suffolk Agricultural Association was talking about this over dinner and his daughter said, you ought to get spud Man in now spud Man for me. I've soo never heard of him, but this guy's got got a million plus followers on Instagram TikTok, and he bought his baked potato wagont and the Suffolk Show reported that ticket sales went up when he said I am going there by thirteen percent one three percent, just because they gave him the prime pitch right next to the farmer does it. And he went on, he did his thing. He absolutely performed for the cameras. He gave more selfies than flipping you can shake a stick at, and he did brilliantly. So I think if you're going to rely upon influencers to help your marketing, you have to have someone who has got a vested interest in the success of the event. So when spud Man travels from wherever it is he's from in his thing with his pink Mohican and people want to go that, then that makes a difference. Just because you've got someone who wears a ridgeline fleece and shakes a fist at people, or you're an influence. The same thing with the game fare, just to some who Rayne Henrietta in large sunglasses and a silly hat or some Ponzi knob in a you know in who wears breeks to bed is not necessarily going to get you more foot Yes, no, that's you. You can't knowing to be able to take your trousers off since the legs, Yeah, that's why you're still wearing them. But I think that the power and influence of the influencer is greatly, greatly overrated, and you've got to choose it, and you need someone like spud Man to make that serious football. Thirteen percent upturning ticket sales is the difference between the Suffolk Show being a financial success or not. You know, just having a couple of people putting on saying, hey, I'm off to farm fest. Ain't it going to be great? And then I'm going to cuddle a lamb? It ain't enough. I don't think. I think that's to misunderstand.
Speaker 4: This is proof that you weren't You were actually paying attention to your wife today and you weren't looking at the news or your emails. Because the man was there. He was one of the people saying that he didn't have a great first day and the day was okay, but that was one of the things that drew the attention to it. Okay, but it is. So I've got this theory about the whole thing. But I always go for a cockup over conspiracy on anything.
Speaker 1: I like that. That's a good, good phrase.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if any commercial event, and I've never really put on those kind of like festival type of events, but I've been safety coordinator for them, and I've used to do big multi day mountain ultra hard Bastard triathlons and organize those. They are expensive and they are hell on earth whilst you're organizing it. For the event team and the marketing team before it is chaos. It's you know, a best well organized chaos, but it's still chaos. It's really really hard to put an event on, and it's getting harder because everything's costing more and the insurance alone for these events.
Speaker 2: Now is huge.
Speaker 4: So getting the event running and it happening is great. If you are a trader and you say I want to come to this thing and I'll give you a couple of grand from a pitch, they're going to say yes because they've got to cover their cart. So I think a lot of traders went there expect it's because it was Clarkson. It was basically going to be like sort of the retreat from Moscow. It was just going to be people stumbling past their stand waiting to give them money, whereas actually they were there to go and see Jeremy Clarkson and Sophielli Speckster. So you've got that element. You've got people sort of obsessed with the Clarkson brand because Clarkson has been as we've all said, Clarkson has been great for farming, but Clarkson is also a huge brand within his own right. And as Callum said, you know you've got Hawks and Lago and the beer is there. There's this weird thing that I've heard other people say before this that when Hawks and Lager turns up at an event that is basically the majority of the sales of beer or cider, it makes it very very hard. Then if you're a local brewer or cider producer who went at an event when the whole when you're next to the Hawks and lagat stands because you're not going to sell anything unless people can't be asked a queue for hawks them.
Speaker 2: No, what you're going to say now, that stuff, the organizers stuff is shit? Drink mine. Yeah, it's not easy, is it. It's a new event as well, it's a new event. I mean, I've never been to any event. I went to a lovely book event in a beautiful location and they were disappointed by the turnout. But I said, well, you're going to have to see this through because what will happen now is the X number of thousands who came will say what a lovely thing it was, and they'll probably going to say, do you know it wasn't too crowded, And then next year that means that there'll be another four families who have listened in or so we better go to that because it's not too crowded, and then before you know, it always busy. You know, I sympathize because anyone who makes their living by going to events and retail is always a challenge, and particularly if you're selling pair of s goods. You know, it's not like you pack up your burgers back in the van and so world didn't sell that many, you know, that's lost stock.
Speaker 4: I'm going to make my final prediction, so next month is the next when the next season of Clarkson's Farm comes out. But that was filmed some of it over a year ago, because you've always got their delay in production and things. Every season of Clarkson's Farm so far has had some sort of race to the finish thing for the last episode or somewhere towards the end. So it was getting a farmer shop ready and then getting the restaurant red pop up restaurants and then the pub and stuff like that, So that seems to be a thing they quite like doing. I'm going to put my prediction that the race of the finish this was can we get a festival for farmers half a ground?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: They had to make that bit of it work for the show. That's I don't know for sure, but I'm getting.
Speaker 2: Talking of Jeff d One. I wonder what county because this is important, Countyss do you think registered the largest number of counts in the gw CT's Big Farmland Bird count Callum, would you like to guess which county provided the most number of counts this year?
Speaker 1: Is it Suffolk?
Speaker 2: Yes, it's Suffolk. The jeopardy is at an end. Thank god, we have beaten Norfolk finally three years. There is of always a three way race between Suffolk, Norfolk and Lincolnshire, and for a large number of years now those damn six fingered beasts from the wrong side of the Waveny have beaten us.
Speaker 1: Wait told me, for what do.
Speaker 3: You We've done one in the very cold winter's creg one in the snow we did.
Speaker 2: We did on the snow. So yeah, it's done basically the winter count. So it's in February. It takes this long to collate all the data. So they basically take all the reports that have come in and they then go and I'm not an ecologists, so they sort of filter out all the dross ones. They filter other people who are clearly just put yeah I saw three million gray partridges up on top of me Island, maryl to shoot one of these grat partridges, please go to exactly. Yeah, that's it, exactly. They also filter I think the repeats arm and they get it so that they clean the data up so they know what they've got and so the results are in for this year's So the one that was done this winter, the results have now come out.
Speaker 3: So g GWCT have had their advocus and they've they've sat and worked.
Speaker 1: Out and the results are in.
Speaker 2: Paul Jana Colony, who is a lovely, lovely young lady's expert on bees and insects and things she has. She's the science and communicator. She wish she could have done. She had probably gone and put them, or one of them at least would have ended up on a little pin board, because she's just got this tray of insects with pins to the backs that she shows people. And there's lots of Latin names. But Jane has collated all this and she is now communicating the information out there. And the good news is that Suffolk came first, Norfolk second, Lincoln Sheer third. So in Suffolk there are one hundred and thirty nine individual farms gave a count one hundred and one in Norfolk and sixty two in Lincoln.
Speaker 3: And what on what was the interesting insight? So is it like, is it like four hours or something? You sit and count how many an out?
Speaker 1: Is it out?
Speaker 3: All? Right?
Speaker 1: An hour?
Speaker 3: You set out and you count how many birds you can see?
Speaker 2: In that they saw thirty four individual species on the red listed were spotted encountered over this. They were in total one two hundred and one counts done across the UK. A total number of birds counted was two hundred and seventy five thousand and twenty four and that was over a coverage of two hundred and ninety two thousand, eight hundred and twenty eight hectares of total. So it's that's a fair old wacker land which they have done this count over.
Speaker 4: You know, it's proper farm science when it says.
Speaker 2: Hectare, Yeah, exactly, yeah, not acre.
Speaker 1: How do we how do we find the results?
Speaker 4: It was in the show notes, but by the time this comes out, we've got a link in the show note.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's how it works. That's how it works in the modern world. Callum, that's how it works. Mate. See the interesting thing I do would say one thing, sixty seven percent of the participants are in an agri environment scheme. So therefore that what that does show is that you are still and it is a problem that we have is that those who do the most have already embraced the thing, not you know, So what do you think about this, Richard? Well, I was going there.
Speaker 4: That's kind of picking up on the same point because the fact that it's the gw CT count kind of self select doesn't it, because it's you're not going to get mister scumtastic dirtiest farm in the veil, which decorates the hedges with silent brap and decides that slurry is the top dressing for every surface on Earth. They're not going to be in this, and no one it's unlikely anyone's going to be going to their farm to do this, So it's is skewed. But I don't think think in a negative way towards better farms that have better habitats. So you're going to see a greater diversity of species in there, and it's more likely because of the GWCT being pretty much the only the only conservation organization that is openly in favor of selective predator control, you're going to get better outcomes in those places because that's what you get on land with predator control, so you're always it's always going to be better results there. But that's good, but it's sort of when the other organizations come with their data instead, because today was when the RSPB said, look, every raptor's ever has been killed by a gamekeeper, and the BBC really helped out by putting an interactive map on their website that showed you where you're nearest. Raptor has been killed. Completely unbiased reporting. But that's those two sets of data don't meet in the middle, because one is appealing to the public and saying everything's crap, and one's talking to people who are already doing good on the land or support it saying look, it's doing good. And finding the messaging to fit in between is hard. But I'd rather go with the gw CT data than the look, everything's crap, we need your money data.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know. Yeah, it's a very sensible point. And I think one of the biggest challenges the gw CT will always have is that they are so frequently preaching to the choir. Is that they are people who like you, say that they are doing that. They have embraced this idea of stewardship, and that's therefore so sometimes the data is skewed. But I also think it's a ridiculously cynical thing. And once again I'm going to point the fingers straight at the RSPB's communications team because they gave Mark no ours the day. The RSPB gave him the days, so that he on the launch day those of us who are invited to go to to Loddington where it was launched this year. They the RSPB, they invited Mark. They gave him a sort of a special reward for award rather for his his work on behalf of the Turtle Dove. They they gave me the second prize of a bag of bird food, which was very kind of de mice of eating it. Probably some of your mates, I have to say, Richard, but you know, and he gave a fantastic walk and talk for people. Because his ear is infallible and he'll be he was sort of telling us what he could hear that others couldn't. And you know, you can't see stuff because of that time year in the winter, you're not seeing so much display. So he was telling all that stuff. So and what are they do. They decide to go and give a set of data. And what really pisses me off about the RSPB thing is that this comes off the back of some rather fatuous statement that Becky Spate, the RSPB's chief executive, has done. She sell things that this government could do to make things better, and her point four was to get tougher on wildlife crime, and she then went into something about raptor persecution. Well, the three leading most prosecuted and most prevalent wildlife crimes are not raptor persecution. The first one is illegal hair coursing and poaching, the second one is a river pollution and fisheries pollution, and the third one slightly escapes me and I we've got nothing to do with frigging raptors. So they almost when the GWCT want to put out this story, this is the big farmland bird count, And yes, I think you're quite right, Richard. You can go and criticize it, because like all poles and all data, there is flaws in it. But it was something where the RSPB and the GWCT came together at its launch and they decided to go and put this fatuous thing out, and their bodies at the BBC go and lap it up like a tame kitten. And you think you're never going to see nature recovery because there are complete blens in the communications team at the RSPB who if they if they can't get a story out there, they'll just fabricate one so that they can go and steal some headlines it's just childish.
Speaker 4: Or omit crucial details like the most recent one with an injured raptor that they were saying was found on a moorland. Yes, it was found on a moorland by the gamekeeper who took it through the vet.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly. That's missed out of the story. Yeah, yeah, but you know this is he will.
Speaker 4: Be the worst criminal ever if he took the evidence of his crime to the vet.
Speaker 2: I don't know what's happened here. It's just fell out the sky, you know, Yes, I mean it's it's.
Speaker 4: Not saneously exploded.
Speaker 2: Do you know? The big farmland bird count is something that if you did get more data, you did get more people. There needs to be more of an incentive possibly for more people to go and do it. And let's be perfectly honest, a lot of farmers they genuinely can't be asked. You know, they don't care.
Speaker 1: Do you think they all know the birds?
Speaker 2: No, they don't car. I know some one of the one of the great things this year that got together with Perdix and so what they're able to literally do because there are a little lot of little brown jobs. You know, a lot of people wouldn't know a linit. They would not immediately go and say, oh, there's a linet, and you know, and you're looking at a lot of the hen's species. They are little brown jobs. They you don't know. I mean, are you going to be able to spot a garden warbler immediately? I can when it sings. I can't. When the thing is just sat there on a hedge, I wouldn't. No, no, it's a warbler, I think, you know, and I'm a bit of a of a birder and so yeah, but they got through with that. So what they were able to do was that they were would basically say, little brand thing, describe it. And then that's why it took a bit longer to go and collate all the data because they were basically putting these amateurish, ham fisted descriptions. This apparently've got fifty three dodos in Hertfordshire at the moment, which is you know, from a mister c mc and Ernie Riley.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm looking forward to the point where AI can help with this kind of stuff because this is actually very informative and I think there will be a point where you could do something. Maybe it's like supplementary feeding or it's like Merlin, but it is not always accurate, but it's it's somewhat.
Speaker 2: I think it's accurate enough though, wouldn't it be?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it is enough.
Speaker 3: So you know, a bit of visual, a little bit of visual, a little bit of.
Speaker 1: A little bit of audio.
Speaker 3: And you could get a very clear picture without people actually being out. So that would be a very positive use of AI. And I think something you can use these tools for conservation and positive good.
Speaker 2: I know that what Perdicts have done is that they have developed something for counting Bob white quail in America, and they are trying to count covey numbers of Bob White quail. And they use a pseudonym for some yes, exactly, and it sounds like a sort of minor assassin, doesn't he Bob white quail. It just comes in a detective exactly. But anyway, what they use is they use sound detection and AI tells you it plots how many they think are in this covey, by the by the volume that's coming through. So I think they're using it, and I'm sure that things that GWCT have got Perdix on board. I think they're one of the few people actually in our world who knows what AI means other than artificial insemination.
Speaker 3: Some of it, it's probably quite easy to tell. Some of the like the volumes of certain birds are probably quite quite easy to know.
Speaker 1: If it's a lot of them, like black grouse, you.
Speaker 3: Can you can. There's noise, and it amplifies the more there are, and the more females are, the more it amplifies. I mean, it'd probably be quite easy to to plot that, and things like I always remember the the Gadwell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sounds like the intro to the Beastie Boys.
Speaker 3: So like when you hear that from from far away, you know that there's usually a lot of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, all together having a little sing song to get.
Speaker 4: Someone from Perdix On. We actually and I know we do actually have listeners there and Sparsholt and the close relationship between them. We know the listeners and I've got their cards that's on my desk, and I meant to get them on as a guest last year and I still haven't done it.
Speaker 2: Yes, we could get joke. Well, I'll tell you what. We'll we'll door step Jody when we go to the game fair and just going. So we're going to interview you and then no, not after.
Speaker 4: The last time when Callum spilt a pint on their stand.
Speaker 2: Did you you were? You were?
Speaker 4: You were chatting up women in the back end pretending to interview them.
Speaker 1: Oh back end? Wow? Quite frankly, I resent the accusation.
Speaker 4: I had to interrupt your interview because somebody wanted a book signing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, isn't it just in Lifestyles of the rich and the famous. It's ridiculous, isn't it. My mother actually told me this, She said, you're famous, my dear, And I said, why is that? I was speaking to a lady at the mid Suffolk Light Railway and she knew your book when there we go, Hey, what more could you want? If you make it in the Mid Suffolk Light Railway Steam Exhibition nineteen forties, think what more can you do? And she works with models right anyway, So we have done today the was it terrible or was it not terrible? Farm Fest? And we have done the big farmland bird count where soft came out on top, as did the starling, lapwing, fieldfare and linen, which were the most seen red listed species. I would just like to have my own brag. I've got some starlings now nesting in the roof of the house. And the other day it was what's today Tuesday. On Thursday of last week, I had feeding in my garden. I had a turtle dove, I had a collar dove, I had a stock dove, and I had a wood pigeon. So I had all.
Speaker 4: The doves larger drink like drink all.
Speaker 2: In one little spot together, and I sort of thought, very very quietly, I tried to get my phone out to go and take a photograph of it, and by the time I got around, there were just like two fat pigeons staring at it and going, rah, mate, thanks the turtle dove food. It's very nice, thanks mate, you know. And that was it. All the others are buggered off. So yeah, I haven't got the talent that Callum would have got them all in the same frame, but not me. No good place to wrap it up.
Speaker 4: And we're going to the after show. And to take us through to the after show, Callum is going to make the noise of a great white eagle being fed into a wood chipper free