Speaker 1: This is India Today Podcasts.
Speaker 2: You are on India Today Podcasts and you are in the Sledging Room. Let me warn you this is not a place for the faint hearted and the weak need. If you're a sports poff and like challenging everything you see and hear, stay, If you're a sooner, badyatya fan, walk away right now.
Speaker 3: Like we promised last week, we are back in another episode of Sledging Room before the second Test in Birmingham.
Speaker 1: Sorrow welcome back.
Speaker 3: Sort of missed the last episode because he was hoping for an Indian win and it didn't happen. We had to take a break. Today we don't have Alan sorrow King. My big question for the second Test. Sorry, let's dive straight into the topic. Is is it time to hit the panic button? Or should we just give a little bit of levy to everyone that is concerned, from the players to the coaches. Should we think about dropping someone? Yes, there is news about jessplit Boomra likely that he might not play this test match.
Speaker 1: Is it not the right time to hit the panic button? Is it? Are we overreacting after the first test defeat? No?
Speaker 4: If you ask me, this is that particular time where you realize that your voling attack was not good enough even with just being a part of it, like you could not pick up twenty wickets. That is how you even test messagariety pick up twenty wickets. And for picking twenty wickets you have to pick the right ballers for the right conditions. Did we pick the right ballers for the first Test? Jesspl Boomra only one oller apart from them? Who do you think a procelle? Oh my god, you know. I saw a meme on social media which said that Proceed's economy this is equal to bomaz econ means twenties. So if your bowler is leaguing runs at over six months for over in a Test match where in a bass bowling, it's not a good news for you. And as much as I liked for what he did in the IPL, this first Test match is currently an indication of is not the bowler who you will field in a Test match in England. He's a head direct bowler who will succeed maybe in Australia, maybe in South Africa, but maybe India also, but Nyland. I doubt it, especially when you have ballers like a cash deep. Your ball is like as deep sitting in your distincroom. So it's not a planning button. But yes, even in plays we're not playing, you have to change the bowling attack because again the same thing happened in the first Test.
Speaker 3: So the coach came out after their first Test. Yeah, he spoke in the press conference leads and he said, we are not going to think.
Speaker 1: Like how the outside eight things.
Speaker 3: This bowling attack, this bowling group, he said, it's not was not chosen for just this store. We want to build a pace battery that will serve Indian cricket for a long time. I'm just asking you preussid plays one game. He concedes that whatever six in fact did well in the second innings, decently well in the second innings. And then now you say, pruss it go take carry water for the rest of it would have done well in the second innings.
Speaker 1: You would have won the match. And then he picked up two wickets. He did.
Speaker 3: But I'm saying relatively Okay, if if I turn up badly for work one day and the next day I do do one extra video or one extra copy, then that is relatively better.
Speaker 1: Right, That's how we judge. Yeah, But that's what I'm asking you. Jump is from zero two? Why not from yeah?
Speaker 3: But I'm asking both of you. So you will pull push pressy out of the team. What will that do to his confidence? Or shouldn't you think about all that now? Or should they think about getting the combination right? And according to you, what is the right combination?
Speaker 5: What doing by?
Speaker 4: What what will we do to its confidence? Was he not thinking? It was his confidence while bowling that ship lineup? What was his bowling? He was getting smacked left and right. He picked up two wickets. Good for him, great for him, picked upwo wickets?
Speaker 5: So will you play Sharadoo al Test matches?
Speaker 1: Big?
Speaker 5: Because he picked two wickets in the second things? I don't think.
Speaker 4: So you are there to win a Test series? Fine, yes, you are fielding a young team, but that does not mean that you have given up the series. You will want to win the series.
Speaker 1: Right? Who are some of India's best places after twenty ten?
Speaker 5: After yeah, the many paces were very good workhorse.
Speaker 4: So it was because of the lives of Ishant and Shami and Omish that was not over was bowling on crucial junctures bring up wickets and getting.
Speaker 3: Away barring ishans that Australia to take any of these three paces first few England tours or australiators and see what they have done. And we are talking about pressed bowling shit and all that being being too critical is what I think. But your your question was about your question wasn't about when we analyzed like this, like saying that okay, he did not bowl well, he should be.
Speaker 1: Now now sideline him? Is that not panic button?
Speaker 4: So you tell me one simple thing, that is what I'm asking you. Why do you think was let go off as captain? And why why did he have to retire?
Speaker 1: M hm? Lack of runs?
Speaker 5: Lack of runs?
Speaker 3: Fine, team not winning one series he did not score team not before that. He was your best battle in the entire double cycle, last two double cycles.
Speaker 5: But you had to let him go.
Speaker 4: Fine, let go off ashwin for all that matter. One bad series right that news series where he was and then not paid in the first second, a little bit of reality check overseas, reality check rush, realty check.
Speaker 3: I'm not I'm not saying that, but if if you have a plan, will you follow that or will you following the plan? I have never seen, but he is a bad baller. What I am saying is is a hind bowler.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 5: And in England you need bowlers who can use the seamens.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 4: And you have got Borlos in your line up there. You got why is he not playing? He was liked like a prison right he bows exactly how how.
Speaker 3: I would look that it is. It's not Pruss. It's fault that he was picked for this.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And he himself in that press conference a couple of days ago in Birmingham he spoke about how I should improve. I cannot use these accuses that he was finding the slope a little bit difficult. And he conceded that I bowled very short. And then whenever he bowled full or whenever he bowled you know, good bounces, he got rewards, but he was askedtray. But again we have done this mistake again and again when you pointed out that Gambir had picked a cash deep for a bouncy pitch in Australia and Rana for a pace seeming pitch pitch, and then again we do the mistake. Great Chapel, in his column for Yes, has written that India have picked similar bullets for the first test. If you look at it and press boom. Yes he can bowld those fuller lengths. Siraj Is again hit the deck and a little good length, good length, but again they are seam boners.
Speaker 4: But again, whatever you pointed out that I had said earlier, who is the guy who's making mistakes?
Speaker 5: So earlier it was the captain and coach.
Speaker 3: That is what I actually wanted to point at.
Speaker 4: I am I am not questioning that, but I'm questioning that management that you are making the wrong decisions and then the field, the player will fail because it does not shooting the conditions.
Speaker 5: And then you will show him out.
Speaker 3: But have we not hit the panic button since the New Zealand loss at home? Exact New Zealand loss, The excuse was twelve years or one time was at the ticket definitely, But then we went to Australia and we were absolutely hammered there.
Speaker 1: Things changed.
Speaker 3: We definitely hit the panic button, but the panic button was hitting odd places luggage com b with chuck O Hotels and Nicol though what there are several other things. The whole dicta at the ten pointed that that came after that. So we did hit the panic button, but there are jobs that survived we throughout our batting coach.
Speaker 1: We threw out our strength and conditioning coach.
Speaker 3: We don't have a strength and conditioning coach at the moment with the Indian team. But there is one person, Gotham Vambir, who has survived through these last two serieses and probably will survive also through England. The question is how how longer can you give him with the series of mistakes that he has committed over the course of the last ten test matches.
Speaker 1: I think four more tests?
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, I believe four more tests and after that maybe it's time for him to go because as a coach of Indian national men's cricket team, you can't lose three back to our Test series first at home and do two away in Australia and England.
Speaker 5: You just can't afford that. Right, So again I'm saying you.
Speaker 1: Pakistan won't be distollerant. I think yeah.
Speaker 5: And it's as simple as it is.
Speaker 4: Not just about it's also about how you if you're selecting a player, so you know, actually you said key, will you if you drop him? Wanted affect your confidence? I am asking this Steam management. You played Shadle, did you use him?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 3: How do you use My question also is yeah, your front line option in Australia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, way, why did you not start him?
Speaker 3: These was your front line rounder in Australia had an exception that we could understand me No, I know, I cannot understand if you play as a specialist batter that that could have been done not as a fast Why I cannot.
Speaker 1: Like, you're twenty hours in that game.
Speaker 4: But before this series started, tenders, before the series started, I was the one who set will not play s. Then I see a press contain from the Indian bowling coach Montey Michael who says that I see a bowler in who can give me crucial breakthroughs and he can be more than a regular bowler. And he was working on it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so she was working on it. You backed him?
Speaker 4: Where was he He was not in the playing eleven So what was that working on it? Or what was the print confress conference? That is my problem with this coaching set up.
Speaker 3: Where is the Yeah like when when Rubbish as three was the coach he backed and he gave a debut in South Africa twenty eighteen and then you see what Bora became that pace battery.
Speaker 5: It was not just battery. It was rubbish.
Speaker 1: Three.
Speaker 4: All these coaches were involved equally in the dision making and the paid See this coaching.
Speaker 3: Setup is like the weather department. Today, rainfall will happen. It will not happen one hundred percent, it will not happen. But my question is what happened? What has happened to the India Space Reserve? Like is it to see? We might say that, okay, that era where the quarter of Shami Bumra uh Ishant and they dominated at home and away conditions, But what has happened after that? Two different coaching regiments I'm not just talking about. Yeah, absolutely a little bit of Raul Dravid as well have suddenly disappeared from the scene. Shan Sharma, of course, you know, had injury concerns and he couldn't break back into the team. Shami unfortunately is going through an extended injury period and suddenly after playing Champions Sophie, we say that his workload is not good enough for tests.
Speaker 1: But is the lone standing bowler?
Speaker 3: This this injury issues Also this this also falls on the coaching setup and the medical staff. Now Mayankya the both six balls he gets injured. Unshul combos you carried to England any balls sensually well and you sent him back home. You added Harshithrana as an injury cover for some odd reason and then obviously sent him back as well. After backlash came Mukesh Kumar, who has been in your test setup, has towed he was not selected.
Speaker 1: And who else am I thinking? Khali Lama, Kali Lamath some.
Speaker 3: Somebody in the last podcast comments mentioned that you guys are ignoring as a left arm option. That is true, did well, Yeah, he did well in England. He's not playing county playing that. It is true that that he was not considered. So all of these questions remain and everywhere, and there are other players also on the sidelines.
Speaker 1: There is this said. There is a spacer called us John nagas left. He's a left arm. He was a great left option.
Speaker 5: He broke on the scene I think, yeah, three or four years ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think and he was actually boler to England last time he rode England. But yes, there are again a left arm option. What is happening there?
Speaker 4: So when actually you asked that question, what will you do to the conference? So if is coming out and posting on Instagram. Sorry, he's definitely dnting his confidence that he was part of the set up, but he does not get to play, or he was not in part of the squad that is playing a Test series.
Speaker 1: Again and again.
Speaker 3: We are hitting home this point. I think this coaching staff, led by mister Gothunmbier, says the right things, but I don't know whether they execute it on the field. As in like when you say that, okay, I want to build a pace battery that will dominate for a long time, say the next decade.
Speaker 1: You need to back the right right people.
Speaker 3: I think as like when you send a message that you're flying Harshie Runner into the squad and he was suddenly released before the Test.
Speaker 1: I head of someone like Mukishkumar and have done well.
Speaker 3: It's not like Hashid played two full domestic seasons to earn his maiden Test call up in Australia. That was also a left field choice. So why not Combosa as a left field choice. Why not someone who has done well in domestic cricket as a left field choice. It's not a more sensible choice. Also it will be a more sensible choice, right, And a lot of the blame falls on BCCA as well. I remember last year they exclusively mentioned fast bowling contracts for several bass It was taken away this year.
Speaker 5: Why was it, you said the first place? If we had to take it was just so odd. It was such a great move.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought it was a great move because fastballers need a lot of care.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, was there A couple more.
Speaker 3: Mayank was there. I think Mran was there. I think one Bengal pacer I think were there. And there was a set of young youngsters were and coming were also there.
Speaker 4: But we actually come out in the press conference and say that we want to build a pays battery for the future. How are you building that pacee battery? You know by backing them across five tests England? Yeah, or maybe rotating them? Well, yes, because Boomera has broken down because of the team management's foolishy he was made to play a five masterest series in India.
Speaker 3: One messages not playing three plus two three plus two Banglades. I still can't understand why why low disrespect to that Bangladesh team, But why will you play Bumra for the two Banglades tests?
Speaker 1: Just because it was first assigment as coach is that.
Speaker 5: So yeah, and.
Speaker 3: Then you thought you will win a couple of tests agains and interest him, but you didn't go according to the script. And then in India you have to play the IPL. There's no other way around it. Can we do something around that? For should he be allowed to skip IPL?
Speaker 4: No, I don't have a problem with him playing IPL four hours per match, fourteen matches you have to play in a test match in a day, you're bowling twenty overs fifteen hours, So it's a complete different setup. What we should actually do is you should actually give Boom that rest when he is playing. And you can give him that rest when you pick up the right bullers for the right conditions, like if a car was there, maybe I don't know if it might have happened or not. Maybe he might have burdened the shoulder the burden and Mura would have bowled less. Over in England tour, I thought, yeah, England, I thought you must have learned this coaching management must have learned something from the Australia tour. Yes, you lost a series. You could not is the final? Okay, it's over, it's passed. Mura broke down? Why because you overuse him?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 5: What now you play him?
Speaker 4: Sensibly before the Test series when the team was announced, a worker comes out and he says all about workload management, and all, okay, tell me one simple thing. Even if boom plays only three Test matches and you're bowling him like this was in a game, how how is it viable? How are you using so because the same thing is happening, I heard, ay, and even we say it, given India is playing bowling, what we do is okay, let's do one thing. Give the ball to Boomera and let's hope he picks the wickets and if it does not pick the ticket, they we are doomed.
Speaker 5: Why because you're not preparing a plays back line up?
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 3: An't There is so much discussion about whether it should be called. But social media is a completely different name for these two series. So that's how it has panned out.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I also didn't understand why you would, very well well ahead of the series, you would come out and say the boom Is want to play only three tests as in so many people. A Wis in his YouTube show just couldn't understand it hasn't like, yes, I understand. He compared that with Dale Stain's workload management. He said that we managed dale Stain's workload very well by not playing him in the small Bilattle series and all that. Of course Bumra has not also been playing those small battle series. But when you're the Dale Stain had a Philander, a Markel and who everybody else company in a test match? Yes, whenever he used to overexit himself, it was up to him, right, It was up to him to say that, Okay, I want to bowl, I want to crack open these spells. It not like was using Bumra like one. You know, it looked like I have Chango watched I was watching.
Speaker 1: It was a wicked needed I yes.
Speaker 3: As in this Mumra situation is making him as in it. It looks like some people are asking, oh why will Booma only play three tests? Boomra also has to think about how long I should play for India. It is making him like again he was supposed to have be the captain the captains.
Speaker 1: He has slipped out.
Speaker 3: This all this management management issues is affect player as well as a team. I don't know what is the solution for this in England. Will the immediate solution tell me that if he's not going to play the second Test. What will it be I will simply do one thing? Or should he play the second Test or not?
Speaker 4: No, No, I think that that is a decision with the team will make. But I don't think you should play this Why because historically this has been a batting favored track. Fine, And my simple concern is if you have made mul forty five verse and then in the span of five days you want him to play a nextcess match, it's not going to help you because again you're going to make him bold.
Speaker 3: For number two between like a ten day gap between the second and third Test. No number two, three, number two and three follow each other quickly, isn't it.
Speaker 1: No, I think there's a big cap. Oh no, No, number two and three follow.
Speaker 5: The number three.
Speaker 4: Er big number three, number four I was seven or eight. So you can play him the third Test and then you can play him maybe the four Test.
Speaker 1: By then you'll be three nil or four. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: I don't agree to that at all because the second Test Birmingham is essentially when you can potentially make a comeback tight up one one in twenty twenty picked up seven and who won India won that much. Johnny Johnny Best poked colleague. Oh my god, I went on the score of fourth inning hundred.
Speaker 4: Historically, you never want a Test match and never never never like that is what one Test match.
Speaker 5: And that also came before we all were born nineteeny six.
Speaker 3: Hen, but that is what you guys said abouta if you head into this mindset, no, I never want to.
Speaker 4: But then we had a coach called who was the captain? Who is the captain right now, Sumani, I will not put too many too much pressure on that young guy who reading is just a second s male and.
Speaker 3: You will see if it takes only we get taking options. Say if it is a batting friendly, if it is going to be a batting friendly series, don't be afraid and like pull out a big tail, put your five batsmen in, tell them, give them the responsibility at least they have. That is what they have to realize. Yeah, that they should realize that they don't have the rat and do it now.
Speaker 1: So two we can score. Yes, walk gets out of the team. You are scoring.
Speaker 4: Runs, right, So earlier it was always about the top about not scoring runs.
Speaker 1: So that's why we're beefing of the batting. Now it's inexperience.
Speaker 3: When will you trust your batters to do their job and believe bowlers of that extra burden? I will one of course, that collapse that we keep talking about. There are two different things that collapse that we keep talking about. The bowlers not showing enough, you know, fight in the middle. That is completely another thing. But if you want to before going into a match, if you think that your bowlers will give you a hundred extra runs, that's not something that going to work. If if you score three fifty and if that is that doesn't become four fifty, then you can question them.
Speaker 1: But to think that the bowlers should bat.
Speaker 4: Chase my my biggest concern. See obviously nobody has given me a solution.
Speaker 1: Yeah, go for it.
Speaker 3: We can't give solutions because the man who has now, what is the plan for Birmingham.
Speaker 5: The plan for Birmingham is simple.
Speaker 3: If you're not playing Boomerah, then you should play us deep and both of them.
Speaker 1: And you should one guy guy to come in.
Speaker 3: Sorry one was out and then comes in place Murrah and then you have to bench.
Speaker 4: You can't be playing both of them. The lastest match, it was not like you did not have bowlers. Those ballers did not do their job. You're playing with four paces, one spinner a part of none of them looked effective. Shadow pick two wickets that those were like two lucky wickets he got fine and then great bowling in the last session, three or four good overs.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm going to.
Speaker 1: By that time the match had already slipped away.
Speaker 4: That is what I'm telling you, And this is why you need bowlers who can actually And one more thing, this is very simple for me. I don't know about you, guys. I am not expecting this side to win this match. But at least if I am, I am Sumann Gill, and I know because I need to find out solutions around Boomra. Even if you play Boomera business match and if he breaks down, if he does not pay the next tea matches, it's not going to help you anyhow. And again you have to play actually tournaments, so Boomera's fitness has to be managed very very importantly.
Speaker 1: There is an a cup that needs to be playing to be fit for that.
Speaker 5: Then you have next year you play, don't up after that you have fifty.
Speaker 1: To play the home season.
Speaker 4: Also, Yeah, so you need to understand if I am Gill if I'm the captain, I need to set and a plan where I say, okay, Bumi can come in. But before that, I have to check ch acout a plan where I have other bowlers who can do the job for me.
Speaker 5: And that is where I have to have that conversation with my coach planner. But yejo bowler's applic can these guys do the job?
Speaker 3: And sometimes it's also good to be without your you know, leader and just go and do it. Like the Gaba Test, nobody gave us a chance that that bowling unit. Siraj was your most experienced bowler. Shadol probably was there. And Tinut Rajan, Yeah, Tinut Trajan was a net bowler in that series. He was used, he was brought into the side. Who else Washington from there?
Speaker 1: Did we have a fifth bowler at all?
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 3: He got injured in the second innings. So with that bowling unit, and that was also a relatively flat pitch in Gaba, A isn't like not as Benian as these England wigins. But again we still chased India chase three hundred and sixty three and twenty odd in.
Speaker 1: The final innings. I still got the job done.
Speaker 3: Right, So that's when you Gambier himself I said that in the press conference he pointed out that okay, in Champions Sophie, we did it without Boomra.
Speaker 1: If Bumra is not available, we don't.
Speaker 3: We won't change our plan, is what he said after the first Test defeat, that his the team's plan will be Boomra will play only three Tests, but he expects someone else to step up put their hand up. If that happens, it's good for us. Then why did you bring and explain that as well? I keep thinking that the kind of wickets that we are going to play in, what would what would Jeffrey Boycott would have said about these wickets? And he has any past with Gummy that his course runs in flat wickets in India and doesn't do anything in England? What would he say here? So in that respect, should the plan be like, okay, we are playing in India. What are we going to do if we were going to play in India? Should we play two spinners instead? Should we chuck out that bowling all around the role entirely because India doesn't play with bowling all around us. In India it's five plus six or six plus five whatever that that.
Speaker 1: Is three all rounders. Yeah, everyone. So I was thinking that should should cool Deep come in? Okay?
Speaker 3: And should we just carry the same bowling lineup minus Shule okay? So yeah, and then you let your batters do whatever they can and then that gives you an additional option of picking better wickets with cool Deep and ja In. One of the things that I thought with the first Test match was that whenever fast overs were needed, so ten overs before lunch, it's ja. Can we have cool Deep and Jadaja in a different phase of the plan instead to make it fast moving to you know, set tighter fields in you know, one thing with the way Jeja was handled in the way j were bold in the first things, is that they never look to pick wickets with him, like you said, whenever they had to get head into a sessions close, whenever they had to, you know, give someone a breather.
Speaker 1: Of course, with you can't.
Speaker 3: Even give give not not much of a diss and over and forty five seconds. But the way I don't know whether it was him or whether the way he was used, he did not look like he was going to attack.
Speaker 1: He was trying to survive. Bendickeett.
Speaker 3: Benduckett smashed him in that second innings and after that he never looked like he was someone who's going to target the stumps and get wicked. Outside of India when it was the last time that you ever saw Jadeja in that role or for that matter, with the ability to also you know like bowl and one series in England bus So that's four years back after that. How many series did you play and does that Australia, Oh yeah, Australia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we went to Socialiator.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure what he did, but in that twenty twenty one series he was used as a really attacking bowler. He picked up that Hasibahman's wicket from around the wicket, used to come over the wicket get moinally caught a short leg. We didn't have a plan, a bowling plan at all. That was something that kind of irked me, Like you said, but you know sor you're right. I just wanted to poke you at that point, asking whether pressIt Krishner should go out or not. Maybe if you have a better bowler who can naturally hit that length, that fuller, good length, we go for him. Maybe give us Deep a go now. But if you give us Deep a go now, you persist with him for a couple a couple of tests. If you give the go now, you might you must have to persist with him for a couple of tests. And Siajumra for Siaj is your leader than if Boma doesn't play for me, it's Siraj is my leader of Boma doesn't play.
Speaker 1: And then as Deep.
Speaker 4: And then you know Deep Deep Si a leader in this much does not play agreed percent. Now I haven't more concern And that concern is the workload of Siraj y. You know the amount of over Siraj has not got wickets, but the amount of overs that he bowls for India's more than Yeah, exactly, he's done. So you need to manage because someday he will also fall.
Speaker 1: But we manage him by not taking him for champions.
Speaker 5: That that is a different thing.
Speaker 3: But also Siraj is a different boer than so he has a like his body can take bigger workloads.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying that he's not hundred person agreed, but see you need to manage. That is what my simple point is. You need to have a pool of five fixed fast bowlers who can pick you wickets and you don't need to play one fast bollow in every match of every series. You understanding what I'm saying. Like earlier, even if Umra played almost every Test match since his debut, he knew that there was a horse in Shan Sharma who will take the workload. He'll bold those long spells and he'll get you wickets also, so it's not just about bowling long spills. Because Siraj is bowling long spills, but he's not getting the wickets. I don't know what has happened to him, but he just he was quite unlucky in the second.
Speaker 3: He beat a lot of outside edges and a lot of insiders and did not get the wickets. I am decently hopeful that Siaj will do much better in the second.
Speaker 4: And that is what I am saying because I remember, this is a very very offful example that I'm giving you. So I was watching you guys must have seen that you don't do a fine But in Pakistan England, don't you do? Nashimsha bowl ex exceptionally, will but it get wickets. So when asked how do you feel about Nushimsa, He's such a great bowler. He's like, wait a minute. He's a good bowler. He can trouble the batsman, but he he's not getting the wickets. He's not a great bat bowler. You're not lucky, I understand, but you have to make yourself lucky.
Speaker 3: No, for for long we have been saying that Shami is very unlucky. Shami was very unlucky in but in twenty twenty one, what he did was he just moved that ball a little fuller. There were so they were statistics from that tour, like how Shami bowled a little fuller and got the rewards for it.
Speaker 5: That is what he was saying.
Speaker 4: What nahimsa If, I don't know what the coaching management does because it's not just a jaw of the bowler.
Speaker 5: It's him and the.
Speaker 4: Bowling coach and the captain's job to look, Okay, you're doing this, but you're not getting wickets.
Speaker 5: What more should we do?
Speaker 1: I remember exactly what he said.
Speaker 3: He said that the problem with Nasimsha is that his outswingers start moving from outside of.
Speaker 1: The off stars. So why didn't you go to the first rate?
Speaker 3: Yeah, while it looks great on TV, it's useless again against any better. It's a great point actually because like you said, that proceed in the first things he concedes that I have bold shot and I wasn't used to these conditions. It's the coaching staff's job to make them get used to the conditions. And like we discussed in the last episode, also there was nothing hands on. There was no messages being sent from the dressing room. That doesn't happen. I think under camber No. I thought Kambir was not doing it because probably and we were there to take care of stuff. But now with that young team, probably he should be more hands on. That is what he should be, more like Ashisna City on the boundary rope.
Speaker 4: You know, in this room only when was appointed the bowling coach, I was the one who told you again actually I was not very happy with Parson Marbor as a bowling coach.
Speaker 5: We suffered overseas. I hope when comes he brings back that sting with him. It has just not happened.
Speaker 3: So you now know, Park not Pakistan's mistake. It was more namorals mistake that people didn't you know there, So that is what I'm telling you. So as a bowling coach and for a bowling coach.
Speaker 4: Who is relatively young and who has played on these pitches across the world, who knows how what it takes, what it takes to manage your body and pick wickets. If he cannot help these bowling lineup, if he cannot help se, just improve his tweaky's length a little bit so they can get more wickets. I don't know who will and if you should be asked of the whole coaching department. Okay, so you're you and mis Ci for all that matter. You know we're not touch upon the feeling matter. I thought we must Guy must have touched it in the last episode. I was not there, so t Lip was sacked? Who was brought back? Feeling is not improved. You're giving fielding medals in all other serieses and pointed out India is not going to give any feeling medals in this dismatch. So many drop catches? Okay, King should dad a copy where lest Cook explained why so many catches are dropped. I agree, I understand, but still at a professionally, you are supposed to take those catches because catches when new matches, you know your ballers. We create opportunities boomer created so many opportunities. Yeah, you could have taken that five. We get hold in the first seas and day one only, but you could not hold onto those catches. So the feeling needs to be reworked. The bowling needs to be reworked, the batting order needs to be reworked.
Speaker 5: I don't know why he was robbed.
Speaker 4: So the entire team management, the coach, the bat I don't know who is the batting coach is there? Okay? Okay, he came in before the championshup. If you won the champions stop here. The bowling coach is Monty Michal. Then we have a feeling. All these people there are we improving. I will not question any player. I will question these these people because these are young team are not putting an effort.
Speaker 5: Okay, were enough that, Okay.
Speaker 4: I will not expect the coach to go and telling okay, you're not doing this right, you're not doing that right now you have let go of Ashwin had done Maybe very soon you might see the back of that is Also, you never know you have got a completely young side.
Speaker 5: You wanted a young captain. You have that. Where is the improvement? Where's the fight? To improve. England scored one eighty for without a loss of any wicket.
Speaker 1: And you know this is a very important point. It's a great point.
Speaker 3: It's a gumby saying that it's not about the series and it's about building a big pace battery for the future. It has the same vibe as Roichma that Barisal exactly.
Speaker 1: It's just excuse me.
Speaker 3: See, one thing is that we spoke about fight right twenty eighteen in South Africa in the Boomra's debut series. We lost to one, but if anybody can remember that series, it was fiercely fought like twenty one England. Yes, we drew to too, but those two tests in England and we give them a run for them. We would have won if the Yes series would have continued, because if the COVID hadn't coming, if they hadn't run by for i PL Yeah no. But but my question is take Bumra out of this squad and see whether there was fight in Australia. Yeah, see whether there will be fight in England. Probably there will be still early days in England or but what Australia taught us was if Bumra was not there, your bust Bumro or bust is what it was there that that's a concerning sign, that is, But I don't think there is a quick like God, you can ridical CONVENI statement how muchever you want. But Shami Umish and Dishant didn't become Shami Umish and Isshant of their prime in the first two three years of their careers.
Speaker 1: Right, So, but maybe we are expecting, maybe we need.
Speaker 3: To understand, maybe we need to realize that we might go through another Doni like transition period where we might be blanked in Australia and England. Unfortunately, Bumra is there to not let that happen. But we might have to understand that maybe transition is bowling is a lot more difficult than transition batting. But transition bowling, if that's the case for India, it's also the case for England. It's not like you have gone in Australia against a well set Australian bowling attack who have been doing this for a decade. In English bowling attack is as inexperienced as us, but they still have playing in their own conditions stungue and cars.
Speaker 1: You didn't expect them to do that?
Speaker 4: Well, Okay, one question. Do you you said what did you say? You say that Shamimi Shan did not become all night?
Speaker 5: Fine? What are they given? Long runs?
Speaker 4: Tell me what was your bowl line up in the last Test match in Australia. Do you remember the first line up?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 4: Our cash Okay, Bore not injured in midwea harsh.
Speaker 1: No, he didn't play? Okay, Harsh played or not? I don't remember.
Speaker 4: Fine, Okay, Now compare this bowling attack to the bowling attack do you have with the first Test in England?
Speaker 5: Because this is your first overseas Test. After that Test?
Speaker 3: I see, I was there in that Test as well Sydney. He picked up wickets in that Test.
Speaker 5: Fine.
Speaker 4: Now, my simple concern which I have always raised as a coach, it my biggest problem with Mpies. I'm againstaying that he has been a great coach for limited overs, but protest, he just I don't know if he does not understand it or if it is a problem in the communication that he does not pick the right team for the right pictures when you're playing in England, Okay, your backline up is great. It scored runs, good flat tracks, but you will scored runs create to you five hundreds. You lower order field again, a problem. You need to sort it out. Feeling a problem, you need to sort it out. But you're bowling like you said, what after Boomera? I don't want Boomra to play thissiness match because I don't want to sacrifice for one Test match.
Speaker 3: I am simply telling this you because matches you're ready to sacrifice him.
Speaker 5: No, might not play all IPL matches. Did you play all IPL matches?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I didn't, not twelve or eleven?
Speaker 3: He played for ten matches. Of course, do not skip the IP and get ready for England. He did not play a couple of matches. And if you talk about skip, I appeal if you want to if you want him to skip, I pal isn't say the owner of I p HM. So we'll be saying, not take the call. Who is taking the calls for you? And I know that the franchise owners are taking the call.
Speaker 5: Obviously they take the calls.
Speaker 4: They've paid him the highest amount of money that they have said out on any player.
Speaker 3: They will want him to play as many matches as they want him to play. Also would want them to play because you want the revenue.
Speaker 4: You want the revenue if you're inviting the best player from the world, you want your best player to play, and Boomri is your best player across the formats. He's your true game changer. So now instead of blaming the I p L, which is giving you so many talents, you should blame the management of this current coaches, coach, the b C I selectors.
Speaker 5: I have a lot of problem with this selecting, this management.
Speaker 4: Every time you see if in batting, you see great that this guy's runs scored runs. If this guy had not scored runs, you would have seen questions popping out, like way for us he scored one hundred and why.
Speaker 5: Was he not part of the squad? Why was he let to go off? So my problem is with this team in the entire team set.
Speaker 3: Up consistency in terms of I think you came to say that point only played a couple of matches, but he didn't start here. Yeah, I understand that this is the problem. I tried explain now, but my question last episode issue. My question is there a quick fix for this, as in, like, can the bowling group come together? I don't see as like you can be you might look like we're being overly critical, but do you expect India to take twenty wickets without Boombra on the store in any of these pictures except for lot maybe where you might find some spice in a in a ground like edge bastin where you said India haven't won and last time England chased down their highest total three seventy eight runs, do you see India picking twenty wickets without Boa.
Speaker 4: Then the other thing is then your batters have to outscore England batters.
Speaker 3: Now that's that's also asking too much of the batting group, a young batting group which has scored that young batting group.
Speaker 1: Who are in the batting group.
Speaker 3: Young batting group should be through now, Sumann Gill, Sumann Gill is young?
Speaker 1: When he three? When when did you make when did he make his deble? For? How long he has played? Size sestion? Horrible? Well, yeah, as well.
Speaker 4: Is your best battle? He's not young anymore? Twenty two is the best right now? Coroni, given chance. I don't know why he's batting at number six. He should be betting a number number three.
Speaker 3: Okay, quick fix for a quick fix for this. There's no eleven my play. I told you there will be no Boomera. There will be no the batting or stays batting orders including size at three.
Speaker 5: I heard not fit for this dismatch. He got injured while feeling.
Speaker 1: I think he has started feeling again from whatever. One of those bathroom sleeps. I guess. I think there wasn't there was a slight injured.
Speaker 4: If you ask me, there's one batting e solutions simple removes silent three and INITIATI batting at number six for you at number seven, and then this same Bold lineup with no Boomera and you bring deep, you bring us deep and bring as.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a mega change. Yeah, entirely police. He said that there is a quick fix and he changed everything. Yeah, this is what Indian management is.
Speaker 5: No, no, they do not do this. They backed their favorite players.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they say something and do something.
Speaker 4: What I'm saying is, if you believe that you can win this Test match, I'm sorry you're living in a full s paradise. But test match, let's talk about this match series. You have got three more matches to look for it. My simple problem is, like actually said, can we pick twenty wicates with about boomra Of course try it out.
Speaker 1: What other option do you have apart from picking twenty.
Speaker 5: So you are not picking twenty.
Speaker 4: Wiccates you could not pick twentyficates Booma in the side, so you should try the other option and the paning butter though, as if you said every series we play, if it is a panning button, what.
Speaker 1: About you show.
Speaker 3: SAT six bowling groups, stay same bowling attack, bar bring in?
Speaker 5: What about you?
Speaker 3: I would give you a consistency to that bowling attack. For that, I would have done the same. I see I like I told you, I wouldn't have pressed there. I need a bowler bowl fuller. Let pruss it take his time, work on his lens and come back maybe military in the Test series when they need him. I'd get as deep as in place of pressing, and could deep in place of sharoo and the rest.
Speaker 1: I don't touch the place place, of course.
Speaker 3: See my thing is we cannot You cannot say that will play only in favorable conditions. You need your best bowler to crack open a match for you if you if you have to ball forty was in three tests, bowl forty was in three tests, then don't say that I'm going to play only three tests. Don't have to ce James Anderson picks up five weekes holes in he doesn't say, Okay, I'm.
Speaker 5: Not how many five figures doesn't pick up in India?
Speaker 3: Has he not bowled well in the later official I'm just saying I'm not coming for stats here.
Speaker 5: I'm saying I'm not.
Speaker 3: If it's your best bowler, you you can't hide from a tough pitch.
Speaker 4: But he has to leave from the front. Rod and Anderson hit their whole life. They did not play in Test series. You're being the wrong xamble listen. I think has consistently played in indios. He played one Test much and did not play two dismuches. That's what I'm telling you.
Speaker 3: That was some walklet management nonsense under Joe Root and Silver. Yeah, but I am saying if he is your best bowler, he can't hide from tough challenges.
Speaker 5: He never hiding, but he was the one who rose up in Australia.
Speaker 3: Of course. But if he if if you have to, you're one nill down already. And if you offer, if you if you go two nil down, I don't see any way back.
Speaker 5: And I agree with you.
Speaker 4: But if I may say, even if you were in some chance of putting up a fighting distress match, was because.
Speaker 3: So many nobody is trying anything, so I will. You can't blame Boomera. No, I'm saying, don't make it. Don't hide him from the challenge. You know, he has to say if he was about to be your captain, then he has to say, I'm playing this Gill, I'm playing this match.
Speaker 5: He's not your captain. He said it earlier.
Speaker 3: If he if he commands that much authority, if he can say that I'm going to play only three test matches, if hard can say that, If hard Pan comes and says tomorrow that I'm going to play only three test matches, will be thrown out. The fact that he is I don't He's not said that I don't want to play test Matches's why you know, we see what is happening with the idea is also that you don't commit the same mistakes with Boomera and make him miss multiple I just I just wish that a YouTube comes true, just that India playing pulling, planning to play a surprise play Boomera and all five tests get him to play crack open see India to go to one up from here fourth test boom has played all three, you go to one up from here. And also one more thing I want to say, I just don't want to say that. I just don't want to discout the wikid taking the ability of the others. Like we all have pointed out, cool Deep comes in and we have never seen what Deep has done to a bass balling team in England. Has has lost the test? I don't think no New Zealand, Yes, New Zealand at home?
Speaker 5: Did you play?
Speaker 1: Which did pay? I think it was Bangalore Bango Bango? He played Banglo.
Speaker 3: After that injury, So what happened? What I'm saying this, Let's not disc even I Bomra is not playing. If they decided boom is not going to play, Let's back the young bowling groups in like Deep has never and likely hasn't had the chance to bowl against this basketball in England team as they call in white ball cricket though yes, royally taking care of them. But can he do the same in England? Can he do the same? You need to use them as attacking I think Leeds may how you Sauna, how this inconsistent boundary? Whatever you say? Dockett couldn't. Duckett didn't want to defend men's Stokes didn't want to defend Tarket never those that team doesn't defend any Stokes didn't want to defend it only respected Boomera and Siraj's second in spell opening spell. I think inclusion and maybe if, like you said, if Boomra is not there, the others might might be forced to step up. They will think that, Okay, if we don't have that cushion with us, we need to ehat the lens, we need to take up more responsibility.
Speaker 1: Something like that might happen, like how it happened in the Champions Trophy.
Speaker 5: Again, I'm telling you, I have always seen this Indian team.
Speaker 1: When they in England make very many when whenever.
Speaker 3: England we're not playing in just one venue, which we can't compare it to Champions story.
Speaker 4: Oh what I was saying is okay, this Indian team. Whenever I have seen this team in a position where you feel it it's down and out and they are not the favorites, they come out better, the attack better, they play.
Speaker 3: Better throughout December, chap in November, we expected this.
Speaker 5: No, but you're not completely out of the question. You had the likes of.
Speaker 3: King Row in the lastest even in the last Test. You had an opportunity to draw the series in the bottle of ascot. But you know what, I just think that this England we should be, you know, overhyping the England side. Like England side they're batting, maybe yes, but they're bowling is still a little untested.
Speaker 1: And what backend with jo Archer coming back. I just see England batting. Okay, can Joff bowl twenty hours a day?
Speaker 3: Nobody knows he did not really bowl in the championship.
Speaker 1: Like the burst was very good and then he faded away. I feel it very well in that four hours exactly four hours and then he bold in one county county game, one county games in the last but three four years, four years.
Speaker 4: But maybe they can use they can afford to use ter like that burst got Joe stungue who can clean the tail?
Speaker 5: They've got kiss.
Speaker 3: Folks and then Bold in the last fast bowler now pn Stokes and so is bowling the best.
Speaker 1: Ben Stalks bowling so well is a problem.
Speaker 5: That's a big problem with England.
Speaker 1: First innings bowling attack was quite bad bar.
Speaker 3: How Ben Stokes bowling that is, and Cars and Tongue certainly woke up from slumber bold really well, we have to.
Speaker 4: Turn did what is known for? He cleaned up the tail in both the innings. Yeah, so that is what is known for.
Speaker 3: I don't think English England's bowling attack is that great. I don't think English's batting attack is that great. Also see Olipopo is already hit a century. He is not going to do anything in this series. Yeah, oh yeah, every series. He will start well and then when Juru is coming back and Duckett is a big problem, as in like I when did duck it become a problem? Has always been a problem. He scored one hundred in India. Also good, good, better, that's good.
Speaker 4: No one fight I remember which is the one?
Speaker 1: Yes, he is a good better Aesson like you have to give credit where it's due.
Speaker 3: Playing that you know that Boom The way he played Boom in the second was also very good asn't like I think you wrote a copy on the very unduck it like people. People can go and read and like his But if you're talking about your copies, we need a prediction from you for the rest of the series quickly before you go. So the playing Leven stays the same right as in the playing Lemon is what we have. He has made sweeping changes I have made for we are the same eleven no, no, yes, I have in plays of Argo, I have.
Speaker 1: Version yes, different, different, just.
Speaker 3: For the sake of consistency. Like the things that we pointed out, you can't have. You can't give a youngster one match and throw him out. I wouldn't do that with Pressida as well, but then you need to make those changes to get wickets. Twenty wickets is more important and so I hopefully gets to step up. Siraj has to step up well, but bolling well and picking up wickets are two different things. Maybe when he's given the leader tag, probably like how he did in Brisbane Shargoo and him battling for a five week at all in that first and Charlett took that catch, I think five all yeah, yeah. Prediction and what will happen in Birmingham. Prediction for the rest of the series and what will happened. I still think it's two on England and I think Birmingham is a draw.
Speaker 1: I think for me.
Speaker 3: England Test said, I don't think if India would have played well the first it didn't.
Speaker 1: Happen, right, it didn't happen. That's true, Sorry of you.
Speaker 4: I don't see India winning one dismatch. I'm very very afraid to be very favorite.
Speaker 1: Zero five.
Speaker 5: No, but not zero five. I will leave it to even one contest today.
Speaker 1: Where where is it coming?
Speaker 5: Manchester next in Birmingham?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's your prediction?
Speaker 3: No, Boom and Birmingham. India beat England by six wickets, and then you wake up from your dream. Yeah, dream is over. Then we get match Hall, then we get in both match Hall and Deep doing well. I just hope, I desperately want to do well. I just want to see how England basketball against Deep, not the the old, not the care cool Deep, who broke down after an assault from women.
Speaker 5: The DCP got Hammard this year with.
Speaker 3: Brendan Mca, so there is some revenge angle there also, Yes, so that that could be. You can write your copy from somewhere. Yeah, but but on a good note sorrow. You have given up hopes India or not.
Speaker 4: It's not about giving of hopes. I'm again telling you I'm not hopeless against this team. I'm hopeless against this management. And then decisions.
Speaker 5: I have.
Speaker 4: I don't hate them here, but I can I'm confused as to what he wants and what he sees, because all time he comes up and says, I am a proud Indian. I do this for the country. Everybody is playing for the country. Every cricket is playing for the country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like like they say it, like it's some novelty.
Speaker 3: Like there are like ten people left in India who are very proud of being Indian and they're doing it for.
Speaker 1: For for their country.
Speaker 4: Our coach should realize he's no more MP of political party. He's not contesting an election. He's a coach of Indian national men's cricket team. And the moment he seems started producing results, his patriotism will be proved. So that is the most important job for you. You and you're coaching group group, the bowling coach, the fielding coach, the batting coach. Do your job back these players and when, like you said, when these team does not have senior players, you should be making those calls from reducing room.
Speaker 5: You should be helping them. You should have given more tips.
Speaker 3: Gamiro only talks in this press conferences when he has to shut down a reporter, he chops against them and.
Speaker 5: What was it press conference? Sorry?
Speaker 4: I'm just debating a bit. Was it against like ature wrote the copy?
Speaker 3: It wasn't could you could have interpreted in many ways you could have, but whatever it was, that question telling someone you could have asked a better question was not right at all when you have not allowed.
Speaker 1: That person to ask the question. Yeah, exactly, Yeah, you listen to it. Okay, okay, you is your question over?
Speaker 3: Then you say this, okay, I agree, you have an opinion to express.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Done.
Speaker 3: But I think that it was a rep sports journalist. He couldn't even finish one line of his question.
Speaker 5: He was not allowed to.
Speaker 3: And you say that, oh, this question should have been framed better. I would have asked a better question something like that. You should have asked it the better way. Your commentary not like you're succeeding.
Speaker 1: Put somebody else.
Speaker 4: In the biggest problem when if you compare complete the commendator, it looks like if you give complete the commendator one chance, you will go and slap them with goes ten times every day, every day you'll go slapping What are you saying?
Speaker 5: What is this? What is that? That is what it looks like.
Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 3: I am still waiting for India supports another problem is that's the other problem is you're playing for the country or you're not even playing for the country. This is not even a registered you know sport. There's a private entity for which you're playing for. I don't know where this all this comes from. Be professional, that's what you expected to you feel, you feel patriotic. You don't, you know, play to feel patriotic. You will do that's a feeling that.
Speaker 5: You get with patriotic.
Speaker 4: You can see that patriotism when he lifted that company, saluted the way that is what you have to do.
Speaker 3: It never came out and do a patriotic or ask people to be a patriotic whatever.
Speaker 4: That is what we loved about the gumber Red and coaching tenure when he Yeah, they realized what they had to make the changes on. They made the changes and they delivered, kind of delivered.
Speaker 3: And probably when these two guys we're at and were there, they kind of embodied what New India was, you know at that point when we were still India. Yeah, like when you still thought that, Okay, this thing has done, but we will conquer new avenues as well. That was good, but on optimistic notes, sorrow before we head into the second Test in Birmingham starting Wednesday. The verdict from here is.
Speaker 1: Done. I am the only person who was backed to an Indian win. Yeah, win. It's a draw, draw Birmingham. Both of you have picked Birmingham.
Speaker 3: Crossing we will draw. This will win one more. Yeah, both of you have picked Birmingham. Rosst England. So I want some rain, for people to relax, go out in the go out to their like cafes, enjoy some rain, sounds, have some coffee. Why why stress so much? It's a long series, many more matches to be played. Relax a little bit in England. Take things slow, slow living.
Speaker 1: On that note, we need to ask our listeners and yours their feedback as well and what they think about all this mohold that can be has been creating and the team management, like he pointed out, whether they should be they should be held accountable, probably by the end of the series. And what happens to india'space battery? Is there a future for this Indian pace battery. You can send in your thoughts on eight five, double eight nine, double six, double nine six. If you're listening to us on Spotify and Apple Podcast, please do rate us and like we always say, if you're watching us on YouTube, please leave your feedback. We will move be more than happy to learn where we need to improve and what we are doing good. Thank you. Have a great great browing up test