Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: So why don't you send us a quick email, just five bullet points, maybe something that's stuff that you do all week?
Speaker 1: And uh, you know, I was thinking about this all weekend. How f't I would be if I got an email from my boss that says, tell me what you've done the last week. I mean, I was on vacation last week. I'm up at my mom's this week. But even in a normal week, when I'm there in Burbank and we're working, we're doing the show. If we got an email on Saturday night that said, hey, shoot me an email quick rundown of things you accomplished this week, I would get into some serious creative writing.
Speaker 3: Well, you could say I did Monday's show.
Speaker 1: I could say I paid attention to the news alerts when they popped up on my phone. You know, But and I could I could definitely get into some creative writing. I mean, we all know how to fudge what we do. It just requires a little imagination.
Speaker 3: Well, welcome back, thank you.
Speaker 1: How was spring training? Tell me everything?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: So my buddy and I our two sons, got us tickets to go see the beginning of spring training basically, so we were there this last weekend in Arizona. Drove out there Friday night, drove back last night Saturday. We saw the Giants take on the Rangers in Surprise, Arizona Surprise beautiful stadium where the Rangers and I think the Royals share the facility there. And then the Angels take on the Guardians in Goodyear and also a beautiful stadium, and both places are set up for the automatic ball and strike system, which means we got to see for the first time these ball and strike challenges played out right in front of us.
Speaker 1: Really, so, how does it work?
Speaker 3: So the only thing at.
Speaker 1: The risk of having people get bored to tears and drive into a wall, tell me how does the automatic balls and strike system work?
Speaker 2: The rules are I don't on the radar and all the cameras or whatever. I don't know that part of it. But the rules are the picture. The catcher and the batter are the only three who can challenge a ball strike call by patting their hat or their helmet, and they have to You have to do it immediately. I mean, there's no you don't get to walk halfway to the dugout and have them tell you to challenge.
Speaker 3: You got to do it right away.
Speaker 1: Quick question. Isn't a pat of the hat kind of just common language that pictures and catchers and batters use it normally.
Speaker 2: It can be. It won't be going forward, I'll tell you that. Yeah, but it can be.
Speaker 1: And sometimes it's part of their their whole routine a batter.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you think of like no more garcia para, you know, stepping out of the box back and the old whole routine. Right, there was a dance routine and some of those guys do tap the top of their helmet. Now this is different. You make it clear and you direct it to the umpire, and the umpire does it. So in the first game on Saturday, there were five challenges at the plate. Get you get two incorrect challenges?
Speaker 3: How's that?
Speaker 2: And then an everyone you win, you get to you retain your challenge, just like other sports. Of the replays you immediately.
Speaker 1: Get sorry keep interjecting, you get two. You get two challenges the whole game.
Speaker 2: Two challenges the whole game. Okay, but if you're right, you retain your challenge as long as you want. You don't get extras when you get into extra innings either, so you got to be judicious with how you're going to use them. On Saturday's game, the ball and strike calls were challenged five times. The umpire was wrong four of those times, the one yesterday. Yesterday's game, there were only two challenges that I remember, and they came on consecutive pitches. One where the umpire called a ball, the catcher wanted it, wanted it reviewed, and it was a correct call. It was a ball by less than an inch off the outside of the plate. And then the second, the next pitch was a strike.
Speaker 3: Three.
Speaker 2: Umpire punches out the batter, and the batter immediately calls for a challenge, and he was right because the ball is out of the strike zone by less than a half of an inch. I mean, it is that specific. I don't know how they can be yeah, right, exactly, And.
Speaker 3: That's the hard part about it. I mean, it was quick.
Speaker 2: It was very quick because as soon as the batter, whoever challenges, the umpire spins around to the spectators, to the booth and he turns on his mic and he says the batter is challenging the call of strike. Three, everybody goes out, Everybody turns and looks at the scoreboard, and it says that pitch is being challenged. And within seconds, I mean maybe two three seconds, the graphic pops up. You see the picture of the ball, the video of the ball, you know, through the fake strike zone, and then whether it just determines if it hits any of the strike zone, it's a strike.
Speaker 3: If it's out of the strike.
Speaker 2: Zone, it's a ball, and then the umpire either confirms the call or changes the count.
Speaker 1: Okay, More importantly, Ugh, tell me about the sunshine and the beer and the food, and did you have any dippin' dots?
Speaker 2: Did not have any dippin' dots. I had a great hot dog yesterday, though, Yeah you did.
Speaker 1: What did you put on it?
Speaker 3: Just mustard?
Speaker 1: Just mustard?
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: I like that move. I like that move.
Speaker 2: But it was at the Goodyear Ballpark, which is where the Cleveland Guardians and the Cincinnati Reds share facility. So this is a lot of Ohio corn fed milk drinking, good old boys, and they like their sausage to meats, like their meats.
Speaker 1: Man so meats and cheese and butter.
Speaker 3: That was really good. It was really really great.
Speaker 2: So and it was beautiful out there, seventy five degrees both days. The first day we were in the shade most of the time, which was fine. But then yesterday we started in the sun for like the first five innings or so, and then just it went in the shade kind of moved over us and it was still, you know, seventy five degrees.
Speaker 3: It was perfect. It was just perfect.
Speaker 1: Quick recap of my vacate last week. Went for a couple of days. Support a varta. If you want to get away from inflation Mexico people, Mexico kind of was cheap and then got not cheap, and now it's cheap again in terms of pesos to a dollar and in terms of eating out and even you know, taxi fare, uber rides whatever. Mexico is so much cheaper than us right now. If you want a quick little trip, yeah, two and a half hour plane ride down to PV nice and easy. Despite other reports, everyone is very welcoming to Americans and it's cheap as hell. So anyway, so what do you do?
Speaker 3: Whatever?
Speaker 1: What am I doing today? I'm doing this show I'm going to go to pants and do some grocery shopping. Yep, mom's got some health issues. So if you're a praying type, we will take the prayers fire and deserves prayers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, folded hands and.
Speaker 1: Don't shut the door on love. The pope is gonna die. Speaking of prayers, I mean, eighty eight's are really bad, age, asked ROBERTA Flack.
Speaker 3: You. Oh boy, well, it's it happened, you know.
Speaker 1: And for my money, I don't think it gets better than her cover of Will You Love Me Tomorrow?
Speaker 3: That's a great that's a good didn't I didn't pull I didn't pull that one. I pulled a couple of songs, but I didn't pull that one.
Speaker 2: I will say this when the Associated Press leads its stories about the Pope with these four words, Pope Francis woke up right, you know?
Speaker 1: It's dire, it's yeah, you know whatever, any would asks you how you do it? And you start with, well, I woke up this morning, right, Uh, you're probably not in good, good condition? All right?
Speaker 3: So what would you say you do? Here? This elon musk email that's going out?
Speaker 1: Oh are you gonna? I was gonna say we should ask people what have they accomplished in the last weekend? And I thought it might get a little bit chippy, but why not, you know, why not? Oh? Also, I know we're late, but I just wanted to make sure right out of the gate that you're not leaving the show. Are you leaving the show? I got a rumor that you were leaving the show. What well, Lester holds out at NBC Nightly News. Oh, and I got a text that you got the gig.
Speaker 2: That is very weird because I had a dream that someone was trying to get me to run for a governor.
Speaker 3: In the state of Washington.
Speaker 1: I could see that.
Speaker 3: No, I could not see that.
Speaker 1: I could see that.
Speaker 2: Vladimir Zelensky has apparently told an interview that he is willing to step down as president in order to secure peace for Ukraine. He said he would stand down in exchange for NATO membership. As that continued negotiation goes on. French President and Manuel Macron is going to be at the White House today. He and President Trump are expected to hold the news conference coming up about eleven o'clock.
Speaker 1: Does Zelenski think he is the problem, or if he is the problem, that he's willing to step aside to kind of backpedal well whatever strife. This has become.
Speaker 2: One of the criticisms of him, leveled by both President Trump and Vladimir Putin, is that he hasn't held an election.
Speaker 1: I mean, what happens, That's what the rules dictate, right, It's the same thing that happened in previous wars.
Speaker 2: The what else lester Hole baby vaping Oh conclave took the best ensemble in a motion picture.
Speaker 1: I mean, how apropos is that? Because we're going to have a whole Who's up Next Pope extravaganza. I'm excited for it. You know, there's a lot of There's one guy who looks way too young to be the Pope, who's like all about Mary. He devotes all of his prayers and his whole bit to Mary, which is that's a wild card.
Speaker 3: It's a Listen.
Speaker 2: This is like knowing who the third prospect is in the Dodgers second base them.
Speaker 1: I don't know, No, it's not I can't believe you would even compare that. That's apples and oranges. This is the Pope we're talking about, I know.
Speaker 2: But there are people I don't know who's I don't know who's in triple A to be Pope.
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't know who.
Speaker 1: There are a lot of people that are paying attention to the pope over the farm leagues. It's the Pope, for Christ's sake.
Speaker 3: That's one correct. It is the Pope.
Speaker 1: You miss me.
Speaker 2: You say it again, you miss The FBI, State Department, and the Pentagon have instructed their employees not to comply with Elon Musk's demand that federal workers explain what they accomplished last week or they could risk losing their job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the demand went out Saturday from Musk that all federal employees state their weekly accomplishments or risk termination. I mean, this seems like an snl skit doesn't it. Well, I'd have a lot of fun with this if I was a comedy writer. Well to the material.
Speaker 2: It's just so vast, And even Elon Musk said, Hey, part of this is not necessarily that we're going to go through with a fine tooth comb and determine which employee is doing doing these five things and which ones aren't. It's he just wants to see who's reading their email in the first place, Like, who's going to reply this is actually.
Speaker 1: This like Elon Musk reads his email. I think that guy most people don't read their email. I don't think he reads his email.
Speaker 2: But this, actually, I mean, this was dominated. This is a weird story, but it was dominating the conversation behind me at the ballpark yesterday and Goodyear Arizona, where people were like, well, I'm not replying to that email until a very last minute. I've told my people in my department. Now I don't know what government agency they're working for, but they got the email and it was they were trying to figure out, how are they going to respond to it?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't want it. It's not hard.
Speaker 3: It's not that's the problem. It's not that hard.
Speaker 1: I could sit down and fudge an entire email right now about what I did last week when I was literally on vacation. It's really not that difficult. You just have to get creative and sit down and put pen to paper or whatever, fingertips to keyboard. It's really not that difficult. And it is, And the fact that you're bitching about this being difficult is maybe a reason why you are not necessary well, because if you can't sit down and just fudge it, Okay, if you can't sit down and legitimately say what you did last week, fine, I get it. I'm in that boat. But if you can't sit down and fudge it, then you're just not that bright of a person.
Speaker 2: That is. I think the issue is who who is actually doing this or who is afraid to do this? Isn't it something that we in the private sector have to do a lot of. We have performance reviews, or in our case, we have legitimate numbers that determine the success or not success of our show. It's measured, it's a measurable thing. And all he's trying to do is say, let's get some bullet points out here as to what it is that you say you do around here, Bob.
Speaker 1: Remember Bob, when you first got this job and you lied your way through your entire resume, do that? I mean, it's the same thing. It's the same thing. It's when people sit down to write their resume and they come up with things like organized database for management, structure of production department.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: People just make things up all the time. So why you couldn't just make it up? I would have been one of the first in line probably if I got that email Saturday night. They would have had it by Sunday morning.
Speaker 2: Well let me just let me point out that I would have had to tell you that you got the email Saturday night and said you didn't.
Speaker 1: You have I do not read my email.
Speaker 4: Wow, because you read it, Shannon Farren, I'm so glad you're back. See even if you're not, and stop beating around the bush at the baseball crap. I don't know. We all want to know because.
Speaker 1: We love you.
Speaker 4: Where have you been? And are you even in the studio today? I mean a no wires, sports broad fuzzy slippers whatever.
Speaker 1: I am at my mother's house. My mother wanted to point out that this was the room where I'm broadcasting where I was in a baby in a crib. I just went downstairs to make some breakfast, because you can do that when you're working from home. And she said, and she's listening to the show and she goes, you remember you were a baby in a crib in that room. I'm like, Okay, I'm sure people really give a crap about that.
Speaker 3: Well listen if you are.
Speaker 1: But I'm here all week and we have these broadcast units where I get to play sounds like this.
Speaker 3: Guys, I thought we dismantled those. I thought we disabled those.
Speaker 1: Anyway, So I'll be here all week.
Speaker 3: I doubt it. I doubt it. Hey, what are the five things you did last week?
Speaker 2: Leave us a talkback feature a talkback message on the iHeart app.
Speaker 1: They asked for five things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, five bullets as to what you do.
Speaker 1: Huh wow, that's pretty bare minimum.
Speaker 2: That's the other thing is he's not shooting very high and people are losing their ever loving minds.
Speaker 3: Over this worle.
Speaker 1: Well, that's great.
Speaker 3: Uh, Pope news when we come back.
Speaker 1: I love Pope news, unlike your non God fearing ass.
Speaker 2: I'm just not Catholic. I know Catholics. This is their supers a big deal.
Speaker 1: This is a big freaking.
Speaker 3: Deal for Christ's sake.
Speaker 1: You're Joe Biden. So I have heard stories from people who have been in meetings with Karen Bass that she is freaking steel she is steel balls, like she is a politician of the highest level when it comes to cutthroat, that this is exactly who she is. I'm surprised, honestly, when I heard that news on Friday. I was listening to you actually driving up here and I was surprised that it took the I thought that she'd get the acts quickly. And if you if you if you're good at reading people, or even not even good, if you're mediocre at reading people. When she came out and addressed Kristen going to the media and throwing Bass under the bus in the wake of the fire, saying that you know, the city failed us. We didn't have what we needed, and the mayor said, and then then the report came out that she was fired, and then the mayor comes out it was like, no, we had a great meeting and we talked. That was all total bs from go and like it was obvious to many people. I think at that moment that she was on borrowed time the fire chief after she leveled the mayor publicly like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and listen, kra Bass is a career politician. She's been at the state level. She was a member of Congress, I mean, she was Assembly speaker for so she's she's got the bona fides in terms.
Speaker 3: Of the the.
Speaker 2: Sharp knives if necessary, and that was that was not necessarily a surprise, But I think you're right, it was the timing of it that that chief Crowley lasted as long as she did after coming out on January tenth and suggesting that it was the city that failed the department.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's kind of why I'm worried about your race for governor in the state of Washington. Per your dream last night. I just don't think you're an a hole enough to ascend that level of politics.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I wouldn't want it.
Speaker 1: I feel like you'd need me to help you be an a hole.
Speaker 2: To be there, and I would direct my communications director. Yes, Pope Francis, they say you had a RESTful night. You know, the Associated Press is on Pope death watch when every story that they write starts with Pope Francis woke up. They said the night went well, he's slept, that he is resting.
Speaker 1: Last week, my husband told me, oh, I got an alert the Pope. He's got the pneumonia and both lungs. And I thought he he had one lung because you said a couple of weeks ago You're like, he only has one lung left, and I'm like, oh, that's really bad. I totally believed you. You just made that up. Why would you make it up.
Speaker 3: I didn't make it up.
Speaker 2: It's that he had he had a portion of one lung. Oh when he was a kid.
Speaker 1: Okay, sorry, I was like, why would Gary?
Speaker 2: When he was twenty one years old, he had he had pneumonia and cysts in one of the lungs, so he had to have part of a lung X six.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well this is not his first issue. He has had serious health issues for a series of years. So it gets us to start talking about you know, the white smoke. Is it the white smoke or black smoke? It's white smoke, right, it comes out when the pope dies. I think it's white smoke. Why am I asking a non Catholic?
Speaker 3: I thought it was when the when the they pick who the I.
Speaker 1: Think there's smoke that comes out when that dies, when he dies or when a new pope is picked, I believe. But anyway, he's going to die. I think we should all come to grips with that. He's eighty eight years old. And then you've got the conclave. The rules of the conclave. There are one hundred and thirty eight electors of the two hundred and fifty two cardinals. Why are some left out? Because only those under the age of eighty may take part in the secret ballot in the Sistine Chapel. Now, I haven't under the age of eighty, which is like which is you can see how many are are not right right over one hundred. So there are some front runners, some names that we can get into. Cardinal Pietro Peroline this is the Vatican Secretary of State since twenty thirteen. He's at the young age of seventy. He's the highest ranking cardinal in the electing conclave. Now, in the movie that just won the Golden Globe, was it?
Speaker 3: Well, no, last night it won the SAG Awards.
Speaker 1: SAG Awards. If I'm not mistaken, and I haven't seen the movie, it's about the conclave. It's called Conclave, and there's a pope in there that is a trans person, potentially the potential pope that's a potential trans person.
Speaker 3: I believe you Catholics make funny movies, so I don't know.
Speaker 1: Are you kidding? Every movie has to have a trans person in it. It's twenty twenty four. If you don't have a trans person in your movie, it does a guy too? Oh shoot d almost the bad word. Yeah, but you know what I mean. I mean, you look at all the nominated movies, and every one of them has a transperson.
Speaker 3: You have to I don't know when you started hating trans people.
Speaker 1: It's when you started hating women.
Speaker 3: Oh's it the same?
Speaker 1: Okay. So you've got that guy, he's been the Secretary. He's kind of like the safe choice. They say. He's not left or right when it comes to politics. He's a sensible, moderate figure. Then you've got Cardinal Peter erdu This is the cardinal I think looks a little too young to be the pope. This is the one who's a devout Marion. What does that mean? He devotes his practices to marry mother of g he's seventy two, but looks like he's lived a good life of clean living. He's Hungarian. He's a conservative, more conservative. He's opposed the practice of divorced or remarried Catholics getting communion. That's a big that's not going to fly, not in Hollywood, not in twenty twenty five. Cardinal Luis Antonio Tagel, which looks Asian to me. He looks Asian to me. Oh he's Filipino. Okay, okay, Philippino Cardinal Luis Antonio Tagel, Okay, listen, I'm not going to put anyone in a box. He's only sixty seven. That's a baby in pope years. A baby. He's criticized the church's attitude and language towards gay people, onwed mothers, divorced or remarried Catholic, so he's the opposite of the Marian guy. He's more progressive. Here's my pick, Cardinal Matteo Zoopie Zoopie. I like that a great name, right. He's been president of the EPISCO Conference, which is like Catholic Light of Italy, since May twenty twenty two. He's sixty nine. He was made a cardinal by Francis in twenty nineteen. He's been on a peace mission to Ukraine where he met Zelenski. He he's he's got positive views of the LGBTQ community as well. He's kind of a people blazer. And then a bunch of other guys. Well, I guess just the one. Cardinal Raymond Leo Burke is the other name. I'm not a big fan of him. He doesn't look as cool as the other guy.
Speaker 3: I can't believe we're handicapping the next pope.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm all with Tea, I'm all about team mateo keo Zoopy. I mean, come on, think, I think as a global community we need a pope named Matteo Zook.
Speaker 3: They're going to change his name.
Speaker 2: I mean, this pope's name, Pope Francis is Jorge Brigolio, and they changed to the Francis. I couldn't find anywhere that the smoke is used to announce the death. But the black smoke means there's no decision, the fumta bianca. The white smoke means there is a new pope.
Speaker 1: Ah, so no pope. No smoke on the death.
Speaker 3: Of the pope. No pope smoke on the death.
Speaker 1: Wow, what happens when the pope dies? They do anything? They they do make anything.
Speaker 3: I don't think they smoke anything.
Speaker 2: They do make an official announcement from the head of the Vatican's Health Department and the Cardinal Chamberlain of the Holy Roman Church, who becomes then the de facto administrator for them.
Speaker 1: I feel like there should be some sort of pomp and circumstance. It's, after all, the church, and they do do the big funeral in the procession of the or anything.
Speaker 3: Hi, Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 1: If the pope passes, can we expect another conclave. The musical boy, Yeah, I think that you can't do that in this day and age, you know, for Christs sakes, give a try.
Speaker 2: Everybody sing along in the Vatican, waking up in the morning, Gonna be poke, gonna be close to God, Gotta have a ring, Gonna have my slippers, blessing everything.
Speaker 1: Time is going ticking on and on everything.
Speaker 3: You rush and gotta get down to the.
Speaker 2: Systeine, gonna make the cross. I say my prayers in the.
Speaker 1: Front pew, sitting in the back pew. We need to update the sun.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's Francis, It's Francis, Francis Francis.
Speaker 3: The old days.
Speaker 1: Hey, you sound like you're going through puberty in that song.
Speaker 3: I definitely was. I think.
Speaker 1: Have you seen the AI images of President Trump kissing Elon Musk's feet in the Oval Office? Obviously AI generated video? Long Live the Real King is the bold caption. Apparently hackers hijacked the TVs at the US Department of Housing in Urban Development and they are playing this video kind of as a pushback to Trump and Elon Musk telling federal workers earn your keep, tell us what it is you do here Bob Well. Now, the HUD spokesperson is saying that this is another waste of taxpayer dollars and resources and that everyone involved will face serious consequences. The footage is very bizarre. It's a kind of cringey. It is playing as professional government officials strolled down the corridors business as usual, while Trump, on all these screens is chomping on Elon Musk's toes. There you have it. I would love that if that could happen in our building, if all of those screens would make inside jokes involving management, I'd love that. I think that would be a real boost for morale, don't you.
Speaker 3: I do think there? We know the people who have access to those screens. We do.
Speaker 1: But wouldn't it be cooler if like our bosses were okay with it, Like if they were like, yeah, we get that you guys dig making fun of us, so sure, go ahead and put images of us eating each other's toes whatever. I mean. It doesn't have to be the toe thing. It could be anything really up with a.
Speaker 3: Couple some soft egos around here. I don't know how that would go. What what are.
Speaker 1: You talking about?
Speaker 3: Are you serious? I am I've been really serious, really serious about that.
Speaker 2: People who would not take kindly to that, what would you say you do?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Pray Gary. Just to let you and Elon Musk in the world know, I didn't do Jack last week, and I'm damn proud of it. I worked hard at not doing Jack. Some people don't do jack and they just don't do anything. I put some effort into it, and I think that needs to be recognized. Take care Shannon, praying for your mom.
Speaker 3: Take care of by.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's very sweet. That's the whole point of the movie. By the way, Office Space is that he is valuable to this company of pencil pushers and data crunchers. He's valuable when he decides not to do any of the work. That's the whole point of the movie. That's what makes it brilliant.
Speaker 3: It's a piece of American cinematic graphic history. Is that we didn't do three more hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but we don't have time for terror in this guy, so we're gonna forget. We'll have to get a lot of them later in the show, a lot in there.
Speaker 3: Five different terror in the Sky stories we're gonna get.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Mayor Karen Bass has removed the fire chief. We'll talk about this absolute baller move that she made and whether or not it was a good deal bad deal, and kind of the fear around city Hall now that Karen Bass is a I guess firing everybody who knows.
Speaker 1: Also, I came across the article this morning because our computers and our devices listen to us. Here's the headline, the six most dangerous expired condiments in your kitchen. The reason I was given this article by the Internet is because it probably has listened to me get in trouble for throwing things out in my mother's home, which I think we all get in trouble with when we go to the parents' house and we find expired things or things that we deem to be no longer good. Well, but this article was kind of shocking to me. Things that you thought that probably didn't expire, they do. So we'll get to that as well.
Speaker 2: Gary and Shannon will continue right after this. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and any time on demand on the iHeartRadio AP